Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think I’m gonna try SPAM

Those commercials have convinced me. The ones where the invisible hand whips up some SPAM fried rice, I’m sure you’ve seen it.

Does anybody else have any great SPAM recipes?

by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2024 3:26 PM

i like to slice it thin, pan fry it, and put that on top of a fried egg in a sandwich

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2024 5:20 AM

I like it chopped into little cubes and added to ramen noodles.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2024 5:44 AM

I have an elderly neighbor that I help out a lot here and there with this house and yard work and he always has a case of spam in the house. He told me last year though a different neighbor stole the case after he refused to give her son's $200 for shoveling his sidewalk after a snowstorm.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2024 5:47 AM

I like spam, spam, spam, egg, bacon and spam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2024 6:10 AM

It's best to slice and pan fry it and get a brown crust on it. It has enough oil in it, so no need to add oil to the pan. If you don't fry it, the texture is just too soft all the way through.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2024 6:21 AM

I have had any in over 40 years, but I remember it tasting okay.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2024 6:22 AM

It's barely edible. Try "HAM".

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2024 6:29 AM

Try spam croquettes, spam hash, spam tetrazzini.

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2024 6:34 AM

I was at a cat food when morning inside thought maybe the cats would eat the spam that I had but they wouldn't touch this stuff. It was one of like three things I ever said my dad actually cook since he barely ever made any meals for us. But occasionally he'd fry up some spam and it wasn't bad with some really good mustard. The only other times I ever said make any food was liver and onions or frying bacon.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2024 12:15 PM

I like it but it has always tasted a little too salty for me. Have a jug of water handy.

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2024 4:20 PM

R9 Could you find someone who writes in English to translate that for you?

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2024 4:40 PM

Just looking at a picture of spam makes me feel like puking.

by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2024 4:42 PM

My grandmother used to make us Spam pizzaburgers. It was a recipe she got from a friend of hers who was a cook in an elementary school.

Half a can of Spam (ground or finely chopped), a pound of browned hamburger, two cups of mozzarella cheese, two cups of pizza sauce. Mix, spread over English muffins or hamburger buns. Top with a slice of provolone. 425 for ten minutes or until browned.

I know i's gross, but damn I loved it when I was a kid. I make it every once in a while because it reminds me of her.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2024 4:48 PM

SPAM Musubi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2024 5:31 PM

Spam and scrambled eggs, simple and salty but good.

by Anonymousreply 15April 26, 2024 5:55 PM

Make sure it’s the low sodium. I like the cheap canned hams better. Less salty.

by Anonymousreply 16April 26, 2024 7:21 PM

Garbage food.

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2024 7:37 PM

My neighbor from Guam said it's super popular in Guam and Hawaii. He said that the stores in Guam and Hawaii have a lot of Spam varieties that are not offered in the mainland states. He grills the spam and puts it in rice dishes etc. It's loaded with nitrates and nitrite but the flavor was good.

by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2024 7:45 PM

I remember when my Gran was talking to my mother about a neighbor, and she said, " Now, we was experiencin' some very lean times, but we was never so poor we had to eat potted meat." She was referring to SPAM.

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2024 7:54 PM

Make your own spam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 27, 2024 8:53 AM

R6, it tastes good because it's full of salt. That's also why it goes well with otherwise bland things like rice and eggs.

by Anonymousreply 21April 27, 2024 9:06 AM

Just remember, " SPAM" spelled backwards is " MAPS."

by Anonymousreply 22April 27, 2024 1:49 PM

[quote] I was at a cat food when morning inside thought maybe the cats would eat the spam that I had but they wouldn't touch this stuff.

I'm sorry, but Google translate simply could not do anything with that.

by Anonymousreply 23April 27, 2024 1:53 PM

[quote]He said that the stores in Guam and Hawaii have a lot of Spam varieties that are not offered in the mainland states.

I went to the Minnesota State Fair a number of years ago, and Hormel (based in that state and the makers of Spam) had a huge display with many different flavors that I'd never seen or heard of before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 27, 2024 3:45 PM

Who knew they had their own museum?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 27, 2024 3:47 PM

R22, and SERUTAN spelled backwards is NATURES.

by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2024 8:54 AM

How long before the MAKE YOUR OWN shows up?!!! Oh nevermind! It is here in full glory, and should die.

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2024 7:32 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2024 7:36 PM

Rarely have it but when I do, I pan fry it along with pineapple slices, brown them both in the same pan, there are a million recipes for spam and pineapple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2024 7:42 PM

Just remember, " SPAM" spelled backwards is " MAPS."

Add an S, R22, and you’ve got spasm!

by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2024 8:00 PM

Budae-jjigae, or “army base stew,” is a Korean dish made with ham, sausage, Spam, baked beans, kimchi and gochujang.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2024 8:03 PM

Think of it as fried baloney. You have to pan fry it kind of like bacon if you want to know why so many people like it. Totally changes the flavor and texture.

by Anonymousreply 32April 28, 2024 8:05 PM

Right, R32. Cold Spam sliced straight from the can is rubbery and awful.

When you fry it, Spam gets a bit crisp and has that delicious browned meat taste. The fat softens to produce a more palatable texture.

by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2024 9:45 PM

Anything with that much fat in it can't help but be delicious.

by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2024 10:07 PM

R31, do you work in a Monty Python breakfast joint?

by Anonymousreply 35April 29, 2024 5:43 AM

It matches my skin tone, hidden by Topaz Bronzer #12.

by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2024 8:08 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2024 8:37 AM

Take one can of SPAM.

Throw it in the trash.

Order from GrubHub.

by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2024 10:46 AM

Two years ago, I was doing my grocery shopping online, and a banner ad popped up at the top for Figgy Pudding flavored SPAM. It was on sale at my store for something like $4.99 a can, so I bought six cans for jokey stocking stiffer gifts for my niece and nephew and a few relatives. A week or so after Christmas, my niece calls and says her boyfriend was looking for stuff on eBay, and happened to see that the limited edition Figgy Pudding SPAM was being sold for $50 a can. He wanted her to sell it, but she decided to hold on to it in case it went higher.

I just checked, and it is down to $15.00. Not as great, bust hey, tripled in value.

I have two cans in my pantry. If they go up in value at Christmas time, I might sell one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2024 12:59 PM

[quote]R19: I remember when my Gran was talking to my mother about a neighbor, and she said, " Now, we was experiencin' some very lean times, but we was never so poor we had to eat potted meat." She was referring to SPAM.

Are you quite sure? Because there 𝑖𝑠 a product called 'potted meat,' and it is definitely 𝑛𝑜𝑡 SPAM. It's mystery meat paste consisting of "mechanically separated" chicken and beef offal, somewhat like pâté in consistency, which one smears on bread or crackers. It is truly horrid in a way that SPAM is not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2024 2:46 PM

It's no Underwood's Deviled Ham.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 29, 2024 3:04 PM

The thread smells like a desperate traffic plea.

You know. Like "spam."

by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2024 3:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!