Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How Alison Sweeney Whipped Up a New Hannah Swensen Mystery That Mixed in Victor Webster

As the star (and an executive producer) of the Hannah Swensen mystery movies, Alison Sweeney is used to baking sweet treats while also solving unsavory crime.

But for One Bad Apple: A Hannah Swensen Mystery (premiering Friday, April 5 at 9/8c on Hallmark Mystery fka Hallmark Movies & Mysteries), Sweeney decided to cook up the script as well — and fold in former co-star and fellow Days of Our Lives alum Victor Webster, as icing on the cake.

Based on the Joanne Fluke novel Apple Turnover Murder, One Bad Apple finds Hannah teaching a baking class at the college in town. When her equipment is tampered with — and after a colleague winds up dead — Hannah gets to putting together the puzzle of the mysterious murder. Along the way, Lake Eden’s prosecuting attorney, Chad Norton (played by Webster), enters her life.

TVLine spoke with Sweeney about cracking the recipe for actually scripting a Hannah Swensen movie, reuniting with Wedding Veil movies co-star Webster, and why Cameron Mathison’s Detective Mike is MIA this time around.

TVLINE | You said at the winter TCA press tour that you were nervous about writing this script. But what about the process specifically proved harder than you thought?

Honestly, the hardest part is hitting “send” and sharing it [once completed], knowing other people were going to read it. As for the actual process of it, I watched some YouTube videos and read about how writers allocate their time, and once I had done the outline — developing the mystery and “Where are the clues being laid out?” felt like the trickiest part — I dedicated myself to writing 10 pages a day.

TVLINE | I was thinking that one specific challenge you faced was you had a new character in Chad, so you had to ask yourself: What does he sound like? Does he use more “SAT words” than Mike? Fewer?

That was all about brainstorming with my creative partner on the series, Craig [Baumgarten], and also with the network. Initially, when we approached Victor, I had to pitch him how I see this character. How do I think he fits into Hannah’s world? And how is he going to be different [from Mike]? The lucky thing for me is I’ve worked with Victor before and I know him really well, and I had this vision in my mind of the guy he could be that would really be new to Hannah’s world. He’s a little more resistant to her charms, a little more about following protocol, rules. That was a really fun twist to bring into Hannah’s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 3, 2024 5:41 AM

Maga Sami

by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2024 11:05 PM

Mom, I keep telling you…no one here gives a shit about Hallmark’s tripe.

by Anonymousreply 2April 2, 2024 11:08 PM

Victor looks older.

by Anonymousreply 3April 3, 2024 12:14 AM

Sweeney is a stupid name

by Anonymousreply 4April 3, 2024 12:15 AM

R4 It’s her name.

by Anonymousreply 5April 3, 2024 2:23 AM

Sneak peek

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 3, 2024 5:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!