Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone live in Philadelphia?

Do you like it?

by Anonymousreply 11April 2, 2024 8:13 PM

I hear of people buying beautiful, moderately priced Main Line homes but working in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2024 7:17 PM

No and no.

by Anonymousreply 2April 2, 2024 7:17 PM

There are definitely some "super-commuters" that commute between Philly and NY r51. I wouldn't want to, but it's doable.

by Anonymousreply 3April 2, 2024 7:24 PM

This is the wrong place to ask. No matter what city, state or country you ask about, the comments will be negative. This place hates everywhere.

That said, I lived in Philadelphia for 10 years about 30 years ago. It’s walkable, with beautiful architecture, cultured (theatre, orchestra, museums), great restaurants, reasonably vibrant gay life. It’s also affordable, certainly by NYC or Boston standards.

But get ready for the haters to buy on. Here they come . . .

by Anonymousreply 4April 2, 2024 7:26 PM

Philly has a lot of positives, but it's not for everyone. It's grimey, crime is pretty high, taking the subways can feel dangerous.

When right wingers talk about NYC with their bullshit that is blatantly untrue, they are honestly describing Philadelphia.

But it's a city with a nice walkable urban core that is cheap compared NYC.

by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2024 7:30 PM

I have mixed feelings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2024 7:31 PM

I spend part of many Summers in Philly 40 some years ago, and it was every nice thing R4 said. Even though ALL cities were in the shithole at the time, it's the crime I hear about NOW that would concern me.

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2024 7:32 PM

Well, I lived in Philadelphia when it still had the old Reading Terminal Market. It’s come up in the world quite a bit since those grim days. And then the street riots a couple summers ago trashed it again.

by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2024 7:48 PM

I did, everyone spent all weekend at church! It's a glorified big town, I was in Mt. Airy, good location as I was going to Philau (or it was called that when I was there). People were very friendly, really the only upside, lots of quiet anitvaxxers, maybe that's changed?

by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2024 8:01 PM

When I can no longer afford Vermont, Philadelphia is one of the places I have been considering moving to

by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2024 8:10 PM

I was in Philly a couple weeks ago. It reminded me that 30 years ago, I knew quite a few people who had done grad school, law school, or med school there and they all couldn't wait to leave. It seemed to them very closed and unfriendly. Since then, I've known people who've spent time there for school or training who really liked it, as well as people who took jobs at Drexel or Penn. The turning point seemed to be the late 90s--the continual redevelopment of areas near Center City seems to have been a stimulus but even people who live in the suburbs seem to like it. It seems to have become more of a real city and more people in and outside Philly seem to appreciate all the cultural resources. I've liked it when I've visited and a friend just moved there and seems very happy there and more engaged in teh community than he ever had in DC.

by Anonymousreply 11April 2, 2024 8:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!