Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Carville: Young minority voters are leaving us in droves

Democratic strategist James Carville warned Sunday that the Democratic Party’s eroding numbers among young minority voters are “horrifying” heading into the presidential election.

“I’ve been very vocal about this,” the former Bill Clinton campaign strategist said on his “Carville’s Classroom” podcast. “It’s horrifying our numbers among younger voters, particularly younger blacks, younger latinos … younger people of color. Particularly males.”

“We’re not shedding them, they’re leaving in droves,” he added.

Last year, 66% of black adults leaned or identified as Democrat while 19% said they leaned or were Republican, according to a Gallup survey released in February.

The 47-percentage-point spread is the lowest in at least 25 years — and down 19 percentage points from 2020, when 77% of black adults identified as Democrats and just 11% identified as Republicans.

Similarly, the poll found 47% of Hispanics calling themselves Democrats and 35% identifying as Republican, whereas in 2021, 57% of Hispanics identified as Democrat and 26% said they were Republican.

Both demographics are key Democratic voting blocs, and like his party, President Biden has also been hemorrhaging support from black and Hispanic voters.

A USA TODAY/Suffolk University Poll released in January showed the 81-year-old president’s support among black voters has declined to 63%, down from 87% in 2020.

The same survey found former President Donald Trump with an edge over Biden with voters under 35 (37%-33%) and Hispanic voters (39%-34%).

Carville argued that Democrats must convey that the “consequences” of electing Trump to another White House term will affect young black and Hispanic Americans “for the next 35 years” of their lives.

“We’re not going to convince under 30 under 35, ‘Oh, we really built a great country for you,’” he said. “You’re looking at this job market … I don’t think you’re going to buy that.”

“Forget birth control pills, forget reproductive rights, forget environmental protections. forget anything.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 11, 2024 4:21 AM

Eat shit, troll.

by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2024 2:18 AM

And going exactly WHERE, OP?!?

by Anonymousreply 2April 2, 2024 2:21 AM

I saw that in English, the White House X account promoted and embraced the Trans day. However, LaCasaBlanca, the account in Spanish, only mentioned Easter and César Chávez. That indicates that the White House knows that the party has problematic views, but they are just going to hope that conservative Catholic Latinos don't notice them.

by Anonymousreply 3April 2, 2024 2:30 AM

As most bold sister of Detroit prefecture I am quite prelubricated to be voting for President Trump this November. Sleepy Joe tells the blacks, hey you stay on your plantation we pay you money! President Trump he tell us, do whatever fuck you want! That is most freedom you betcha!

by Anonymousreply 4April 2, 2024 11:30 PM

They're not voting for you magat freaks.

by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2024 11:41 PM

Trump does appeal to black males.

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2024 11:42 PM

righhhht so they're really going to vote for Trump. #surejan

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2024 11:43 PM

Yes, they're leaving the democratic party. No, they're not voting for you asshole magats.

by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2024 11:44 PM

The Clinton Administration was a long time ago. It's possible that he no longer understands the voting public.

by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2024 11:49 PM

okay, this seems odd. The one clear thing that is pissing off young activists is support for Israel. I don't really agree with them, although I can see the case for ending this campaign and Israel withdrawing. But that is actually beside the point. If Carville is wondering why young voters aren't fans of Biden but refusing to acknowledge the one big honking issue that a lot of younger voters say is pissing them off, what the fuck use is he?

by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2024 11:55 PM

Carville is pretty decrepit to be doing a youth analysis. I'll believe them when they start setting themselves on fire. Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 11April 3, 2024 12:00 AM

Until the 1960s, Democrats were on the wrong side of history with their anti-Black bigotry.

Many young POC are learning about the Democrats' not so distant past (e.g. pro-slavery, founded Ku Klux Klan, established Jim Crow laws) and are being turned off.

This does not necessarily mean that they'll vote Republican instead, just that they're feeling betrayed by Democrats and will probably go Independent or abstain altogether.

by Anonymousreply 12April 3, 2024 12:01 AM

R12 they've become disillusioned with the party.

by Anonymousreply 13April 3, 2024 12:03 AM

horseshit r12. Despite the best efforts of the neo-Nazis and klansmen who are the current base of the Republican Party, nobody cares that some Democrats were racist fuckers in 1960. Nobody. Try again, cunt, and this time try not to be a lying whore about everything you say and believe.

by Anonymousreply 14April 3, 2024 12:04 AM

I don’t know what I’m fighting for, I just want to be blue haired and radical.

by Anonymousreply 15April 3, 2024 12:07 AM

That's a ridiculous claim, r12. You think young people care about the Democratic Party's platform from 65+ years ago? I hope you warmed up before you did all that stretching. "Not-so-distant" my ass. Next you're going tell us that that under-30s are really mad about Kennedy and LBJ getting involved in Vietnam.

by Anonymousreply 16April 3, 2024 12:08 AM

POCcers hate the trans more than anyone.

by Anonymousreply 17April 3, 2024 12:08 AM

You can't fix stupid ... young minority voters will fuck around and find out!

by Anonymousreply 18April 3, 2024 12:08 AM

Only ancient conservatives get worked up over hair color, r15

by Anonymousreply 19April 3, 2024 12:09 AM

No, they aren't

The only evidence for this claim is early polls, which are unreliable

If you look at actual elections, young people are just as likely to vote Dem as they ever were

Look at the young voters who turned out for the abortion ballot initiatives in places like Kansas and Ohio. Young people are very pro-choice

by Anonymousreply 20April 3, 2024 12:10 AM

the abortion thing will probably win out in the end, and the Republican belief that abortion should be illegal in all cases will probably kill them at the polls ultimately.

There is a problem with the young and Israel, however, and I will say despite not agreeing with them, that the old consensus that Israel is always right has been shattered, probably forever.

by Anonymousreply 21April 3, 2024 12:13 AM

Look at the gubernatorial election in Mississippi in 2023. The Dem got like 95% of the black vote. We're supposed to believe that all these people suddenly abandoned the Democratic Party 6 months later?

Where are all these black and Latino Republicans....they don't seem to be showing up to elections 🤔

Also, Biden got like 95% of the vote in the South Carolina primary, a state where a large chunk of the Democrats are black

by Anonymousreply 22April 3, 2024 12:14 AM

This guy looks like death

by Anonymousreply 23April 3, 2024 12:15 AM

Most people choose not to vote. The networks refused to air President Biden's speech on the soul of America. The networks decried the speech is too divisive and critical to 1/2 of the country.

Not only is the media biased to maga, they're deliberately skewing the numbers and choosing to amplify the voice of the magats.

If a third of the country does not vote, maga isn't half of anything!

by Anonymousreply 24April 3, 2024 12:16 AM

yeah, it's polls versus voting r22. I do think people are dissatisfied and looking to express that, but in the end, I really, really don't believe most people will vote Republican or choose not to vote in November. They know Trump is a grifty old treasonous criminal whore and his supporters are all racist cunts. I doubt they are going to just sit at home because they're pissed off, despite whatever they are babbling to pollsters right now.

by Anonymousreply 25April 3, 2024 12:17 AM

Which one?

by Anonymousreply 26April 3, 2024 12:17 AM

[quote]Many young POC are learning about the Democrats' not so distant past (e.g. pro-slavery, founded Ku Klux Klan, established Jim Crow laws) and are being turned off. This does not necessarily mean that they'll vote Republican instead, just that they're feeling betrayed by Democrats and will probably go Independent or abstain altogether.

Yeah, betrayed by policies the Democrats—the southern ones, anyway—held before their grandparents were born and that they've since completely rejected and overturned. Begone, troll.

by Anonymousreply 27April 3, 2024 12:20 AM

Not addressing the Great Realignment of 1965 is lacking in understanding and that Biden is as connected to LBJ as Trump is attached to Nixon.

And a Dr. Glaude would say, it's all about race.

by Anonymousreply 28April 3, 2024 12:34 AM

yeah, they know that r28. some cunts are just trolling, but they all know that at this point the Republican is all about the white supremacy.

by Anonymousreply 29April 3, 2024 12:40 AM

[quote] the Great Realignment of 1965

Self-congratulatory mythology. It took two additional generations for the south to actually realign. Republican state and local office holders remained rare exceptions for decades.

The South stayed almost solidly democratic until the second Clinton term when the region finally became two party states.

Republicans first dominated presidential elections in the South, then won a majority of Southern gubernatorial and congressional elections after the 1994 Republican Revolution. By the 21st century, and especially after the 2010 midterm elections, the GOP had gained a solid advantage over the Democratic Party in most southern states.

by Anonymousreply 30April 3, 2024 12:59 AM

Sky is falling! Sky is falling! Sky is falling! Sky is falling! Sky is falling!

OP, stirring the pot again.

by Anonymousreply 31April 3, 2024 1:02 AM

Most Americans do not want the mental instability of a second Trump presidency. Would gas, Big Macs, eggs and housing be cheaper under that fat weirdo? No.

by Anonymousreply 32April 3, 2024 1:03 AM

And you are deeply, deeply disturbed by this residual racism r30? Is that that lie you are selling right now, you grifty old whore? You Trump cult member? You ridiculously rancid twat?

Admit it, you are a Republican because you are neoNazi and you love that shit.

by Anonymousreply 33April 3, 2024 1:05 AM

Carville is saying in so many words two things, with this and the other interview he did

The Democrats cannot run a message with

#1 an old man

#2 a woman of color

I don’t disagree with this.

by Anonymousreply 34April 3, 2024 1:12 AM

why can't they "run a message" with both of those r34? What exactly are you saying. That only a neoNazi whore can win back young voters to the Democratic Party? Cause that is probably not true.

by Anonymousreply 35April 3, 2024 1:13 AM

Those polls? Really. So they asked less than1000 people? Out of millions? Rightttttttttt.

Polls are worthless over and over again.

Fuck off IQ45 Cult member.

by Anonymousreply 36April 3, 2024 1:21 AM

Carville is doing this to force the Dems to fix their messaging. I welcome that. Carville is completely correct about what is happening within our culture. Trump appeals to men because he projects strength; don’t misunderstand me, I don’t like it either. But it’s true (and it shows how backwards America really is).

The more men Trump attracts, the more damage he can and will do to our base. Carville is pulling down Biden’s pants in public and spanking him so that the Dems a) adjust their message, b) become unified in their message and c) to stop the bleeding. Carville the other day said, “the best time to plant an oak tree is 25 years ago. But we can plant one today.” In other words, we are behind the 8-ball on messaging, but we need to start today.

by Anonymousreply 37April 3, 2024 2:40 AM

Carville spends months saying that the Dems have to stop kowtowing to Twitter activists and campus lefties and then freaks out about some poll saying young people don't like the Democratic Party?

I think these things might be connected.

by Anonymousreply 38April 3, 2024 2:43 AM

R38, he says that *all* the polls are trending down, and he admits that polls are not exact, but that the overall trending should indeed concern Dems. And even if all the polls are wrong, we must act like we’re losing or we will! Carville is usually correct, and I think he’s correct right now.

by Anonymousreply 39April 3, 2024 2:53 AM

r30 Old white man makes an observation and tries to appear relevant while living in deep red Louisiana with his Republican wife.

He clearly feels the pulse of the electorate.

by Anonymousreply 40April 3, 2024 3:13 AM

^ Simpleton

by Anonymousreply 41April 3, 2024 3:29 AM

The people are so ignorant never being exposed to real news anymore, than almost any lie about how they feel will stand up. Election stealers in Russia are depending on this.

by Anonymousreply 42April 3, 2024 4:39 AM

r30, see r29.

by Anonymousreply 43April 3, 2024 11:07 AM

I don’t think they’ll vote for Trump but they may not vote at all. Thank God for the abortion issue. That’s the best thing the Dems have going. Hopefully more Repub attacks on women’s rights come ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 44April 3, 2024 11:36 AM

YOUNG VOTERS are leaving us in droves.

R37 BULLSHIT. Trump appeals to white men because he's a rich, white, misogynist, racist piece of shit. PERIOD. Stop with the romanticizing. Stop acting like this is some big mystery. He's a con man who tapped into a rage that's been simmering since the Clintons and culminated with 8 years of a Black president.

R44 THAT'S my fear. These idiots are far more concerned with the Gaza Strip than their own country.

One thing about Trump, he knows how to manipulate...I mean…use media to get his points across. I wish Biden had been more vocal in the beginning. He should be screaming from the rooftops that Trump killed the border security bill. He should’ve been having press conferences detailing what his administration has done and what Republicans haven’t done.

by Anonymousreply 45April 3, 2024 12:40 PM

[quote] I wish Biden had been more vocal in the beginning. He should be screaming from the rooftops

If he talks louder than that creepy whisper he will give himself yet another stroke

by Anonymousreply 46April 3, 2024 2:59 PM

R44, I apologize if my post sounds like romanticizing, but that is not my intention. I am merely observing social behavior from male voters, though I totally agree with what you posted too, America is filled with too many ignorant hillbilly racists. Maybe we are both right.

I also agree on Gaza, if anything will hurt young voter turnout, it is this issue.

by Anonymousreply 47April 3, 2024 3:20 PM

Wow, the Russki AI bots are out in full force.

Olga in HR doesn't have to pay them their American quarter a day.

Young voters are not leaving Democrats in droves.

They are being distracted temporarily into believing that America has a decision in the Israel/Iran war.

They are i the learning phase, which will last until Biden is through with running the country, before campaigning, and dealing with the Russian Sedition Republicans in Congress. Moses Mike doesn't want to free up Biden to campaign against Trump so, the Aid Package to Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan will probably not happen before the election.

by Anonymousreply 48April 3, 2024 4:06 PM

[quote] Moses Mike

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 4, 2024 1:45 AM

r40 if the things Carville says are not true why is he saying them ? Does he represent a certain section of the party engaged in sedition trying to take down Saint Joe ? Could it be 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒑𝒊𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒚?

To save the nation who will Merrick Garland target with his assault teams ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 4, 2024 2:03 AM

Merrick Garland immediately ordered an investigation into Commander Biden. This was the special prosecutor assigned:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 4, 2024 3:01 AM

R47 I think you're correct. I thought about that after I posted. It's ALL relative.

by Anonymousreply 52April 4, 2024 10:45 AM

Biden owes his election to younger voters. If the 2020 election were decided by the over 40s, Trump wins big.

He is a smart guy but hopefully smart enough to know he's got to appeal to younger people somehow.

by Anonymousreply 53April 4, 2024 3:20 PM

I don't doubt what Carville says, but are these young minority voters really going to vote for Trump? He is not in their best interests at all.

by Anonymousreply 54April 4, 2024 3:53 PM

Foul people here.

by Anonymousreply 55April 4, 2024 3:57 PM

The only people for whom Trump is in their best interests are billionaires like mouthy Musk and Kevin "Trump is a poor, tortured soul being picked on by Democrats" O'Leary. And the only reason Trump cares about billionaires is so they can lend him money when Trump's big mouth gets him in trouble and no one else wants to deal with the dirtball scumbag.

by Anonymousreply 56April 4, 2024 4:00 PM

[quote]Biden owes his election to younger voters.

No, Biden will owe his reelection to women and non racist men.

The Suburbs that Trump has killed.

by Anonymousreply 57April 4, 2024 5:41 PM

[quote]He is a smart guy but hopefully smart enough to know he's got to appeal to younger people somehow.

Tell me you don't have a uterus without telling me you don't have a uterus.

by Anonymousreply 58April 4, 2024 10:43 PM

It'd biden's fault that the Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade?

by Anonymousreply 59April 5, 2024 3:23 PM

[quote] I saw that in English, the White House X account promoted and embraced the Trans day.

It cannot be said with enough emphasis. The President and the Democratic Party need to stop emphasizing these, to the average voter, very marginal issues.

by Anonymousreply 60April 5, 2024 8:33 PM

[quote]I saw that in English, the White House X account promoted and embraced the Trans day.

Hey guess what? Trans Visibility Day has been celebrated EVERY FUCKING YEAR for the past ten years.

As always on March 31st.

Which, this year, happened to correspond with Easter and National Trigger a Wingnut Day.

And here we are.

by Anonymousreply 61April 5, 2024 10:53 PM

[quote]Hey guess what? Trans Visibility Day has been celebrated EVERY FUCKING YEAR for the past ten years.

Saying that the president has proclaimed there to be a Trans Visibility Day in the U.S., as Biden did, for the past ten years is false. The first time was in 2021. It had never been proclaimed by any president other then Biden and no president other than Biden has proclaimed it to be observed in the U.S. on the same day as Easter, as he did in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 62April 6, 2024 12:39 AM

President Biden is also personally responsible for the Israeli war, a region that has been in conflict from the time Isreal was created.

by Anonymousreply 63April 6, 2024 12:51 AM

Hopefully for everyone's sake, whatever Biden does with Israel, it won't have as terrible an outcome as the Biden Afghanistan evacuation fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 64April 6, 2024 12:56 AM

According to the people involved in the Afghanistan evacuation, there was no good way to do an orderly non-chaotic exit, even if they extended the date another year. It was done based on what Trump had already sign-off on. They just kept to the date.

by Anonymousreply 65April 6, 2024 1:50 AM

What a bunch of crap R64. Have you read how badly mismanaged Afghanistan was by "our side"?

by Anonymousreply 66April 6, 2024 4:01 AM

[quote] Hey guess what? Trans Visibility Day has been celebrated EVERY FUCKING YEAR for the past ten years. ---- Saying that the president has proclaimed there to be a Trans Visibility Day in the U.S., as Biden did, for the past ten years is false.

Yes that guy was really going overboard trying to get away with blaming THANS SPRING BREAK on Trump. But it made me smile.

by Anonymousreply 67April 6, 2024 5:18 AM

Whoops.. "TRANS".

by Anonymousreply 68April 6, 2024 5:19 AM

r66, Nixon evacuated 7,000 people from the fall of Saigon, a HOT war zone.

Biden evacuated 120,000 people from Kabul, a HOT war zone.

The Biden evacuation was FUCKING MIRACULOUS, as the Afghani government fled after Trump negotiated the release of thousands of Talibani criminals from jail. Just like Trump wants to do with the American criminals he calls hostages.

by Anonymousreply 69April 6, 2024 10:15 AM

Some newspapers are carrying on the fight, but need all of them to join in. This is encouraging from a solid blue area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70April 6, 2024 12:22 PM

𝑻𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 of gratitude. 𝑮𝒍𝒐𝒃𝒂𝒍 response.

Stop the Presses ! A democratic supporting paper in a solidly democratic city doesn't like Trump and declares itself heroic. Hosanna.

by Anonymousreply 71April 6, 2024 1:12 PM

Is it possible that young minority voters are being hit the hardest with the college myth?

Go to college (which now requires massive debt) and you’ll get an excellent job.

by Anonymousreply 72April 6, 2024 1:14 PM

How many newspapers and media outlets are doing the same, R71? Very few. Most are harping on how everyone is abandoning the Dems or are afraid to publish the truth. Time for them to get with it..... unless they want a dictatorship in which they will all be unemployed or in jail.

by Anonymousreply 73April 6, 2024 1:33 PM

[quote]Most are harping on how everyone is abandoning the Dems or are afraid to publish the truth.

There we have the disinformation factory in broad daylight.

State a fact, contradict a fact, then insert an unproven opinion.

Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 74April 8, 2024 12:16 PM

[quote] Most are harping on how everyone is abandoning the Dems or are afraid to publish the truth.

That is the truth.

Here is the problem

You want everybody else to validate Joe Biden’s terrible decision to run for reelection, and then to rally around him and “save the Republic.” Every newspaper published a “save the Republic” editorial before Trump was elected and it didn’t work. No one will save the Republic and no one will save you.

by Anonymousreply 75April 8, 2024 12:33 PM

[quote]The President and the Democratic Party need to stop emphasizing these, to the average voter, very marginal issues.

Wrong. The Republicans keep pressing trans issues and losing on them, as in the November 2023 elections. When Democrats win even in KY (cf. Beshear) by emphasizing the personal nature of trans rights and how the law should keep out, you know the issue has been neutralized and Republicans are on the losing side.

by Anonymousreply 76April 8, 2024 1:17 PM

Andy Besgear did not win in Kentucky by celebrating the libertarian satire of transgenderism.

by Anonymousreply 77April 10, 2024 2:41 PM

r12 and r13 are the same poster.

by Anonymousreply 78April 10, 2024 2:48 PM

R78 (Tattletale Troll), doesn’t this get old for you?

People are wise enough to ignore posters they don’t like or stomach those they disagree with.

by Anonymousreply 79April 10, 2024 3:03 PM

[quote]R79: People are wise enough to ignore posters they don’t like or stomach those they disagree with.

▲ Failure to heed your own supposed wisdom.

Besides, dislike/disagreement is not the issue. Trolling is.

by Anonymousreply 80April 10, 2024 4:14 PM

Obviously trolling doesn't get old for you, r79.

by Anonymousreply 81April 10, 2024 4:25 PM

Why is an old hag like James Carville who has been wrong more times than Jeanne Dixon's hemorhhoids newsworthy? Why indeed is RFK Jr. I had dogs smarter than this block of cement;.

by Anonymousreply 82April 11, 2024 4:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!