Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Friday Afternoon Club — New Memoir by Griffin Dunne

On the recent thread about the golden years of Vanity Fair, I noticed there were other Dominic Dunne fans among us. His son Griffin has a memoir coming out in June, and it looks interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 12, 2024 2:17 AM

I bet this is good. I may check it out.

by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2024 1:27 AM

I can't wait to read the Who's That Girl chapter Surely he will regale us with details of his exploits with Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 2April 2, 2024 1:43 AM

I’ll be reading this.

by Anonymousreply 3April 2, 2024 1:49 AM

Me, too.

by Anonymousreply 4April 2, 2024 2:19 AM

Is that Griffin on the far left in the photo?

I still remember seeing After Hours in my twenties. It turned into a cult favorite of mine. It had already been out for around 15 years, but it reinforced feelings I had about NYC late night. It’s been years since I’ve seen it, I’ll have to look for it.

by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2024 7:53 AM

Oooh, this is way up my alley. I just ordered an advance readers copy. Was Dominick Dunne thought to be a closet case? He always pinged to me.

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2024 12:01 PM

R6 I think he very well may have been.

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2024 12:51 PM

Dominick Dunne seemed like a Presbyterian Truman Capote to me, scuttling around, sour, sucking up.

by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2024 12:57 PM

R6 R7 Here's an excerpt from an article about the feud between Dunne and his brother John:

"In one letter of confession to John, written in November 1979, Dominick came out as a gay man. He wrote of going to a retreat called the Advocate Experience in San Francisco. It offered est-like therapy for gay men and lesbians, advising them to disclose their true sexual orientation to family and close friends. In that letter, Dominick told John about one telling episode from their youth. At their father’s wake in 1947, when his mother and five siblings were grieving, Dominick left the family to have sex with a college student named Andreas Devendorf in the family’s big black Buick parked near the ninth hole of the local golf course. Dominick also mentioned Didion’s novel "Play It as It Lays" in the letter to John. He doubted that Joan would be surprised at his “I’m gay news” since she had based the BZ character on him, Dominick believed."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2024 5:25 PM

[quote]Was Dominick Dunne thought to be a closet case? He always pinged to me.

Honey, even Helen Keller knew he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2024 5:35 PM

I had a huge crush on him in the Madonna movie, and I enjoyed his portrayal of a therapist in 'Succession'.

by Anonymousreply 11April 2, 2024 5:44 PM

R5 I had seen After Hours in a movie theater when it was first released in 1985. I recall it being a bizarre, quirky and memorable black comedy based in New York. It did actually capture the spirit of the downtown lifestyle of that time. I didn't get to see it again until just a few months ago when I got a copy of it on DVD. It was just as good as I remembered it.

by Anonymousreply 12April 2, 2024 5:53 PM

Losing Dominick was an awful blow to Vanity Fair. I believe that I let the subscription go after his death. I really miss(ed) him.

by Anonymousreply 13April 2, 2024 6:07 PM

So, a double tragedy for Vanity Fair

by Anonymousreply 14April 2, 2024 6:18 PM

He's had such an interesting life. For those of you who don't know:

His father Dominick was a closeted gay man who was an important Hollywood producer. he was a relentless social climber who used to appal almost everyone with his obsession with the rich and famous, and was close friends with Elizabeth Montgomery and Elizabeth taylor. After he had to leave Hollywood to handle his multiple addictions, he reinvented himself as a gossipy novelist.

His mother Ellen ("Peach") was the daughter of a wealthy industrialist, and stayed with Dominick long enough to bear him several children until she couldn't take his closetedness and his addictions and longer. She developed multiple sclerosis in the 1980s.

His sister Dominique was a rising starlet until she was strangled to death by a boyfriend soon after making "Poltergeist." Because the murderer got off with a charge only of voluntary manslaughter, their mother because an activist to protest the criminal justice system and their father began to obsess in his journalisma nd his fiction about privileged people getting away with murder.

His father's brother was the screenwriter John Gregory Dunne, married to the screenwriter- journalist- novelist Joan Didion. Their families were very close.

He himself is an actor and writer and producer, best known for starring in Martin Scorsese's "After Hours" and the awful Madonna screwball comedy "Who's That girl?"

by Anonymousreply 15April 2, 2024 6:29 PM

Joan Didion was relaxing in his parents' pool when she first heard about the Manson murders:

[quote]On August 9, 1969, I was sitting in the shallow end of my sister-in-law’s swimming pool in Beverly Hills when she received a telephone call from a friend who had just heard about the murders at Sharon Tate Polanski’s house on Cielo Drive.

by Anonymousreply 16April 2, 2024 7:12 PM

I'm the only one who never needs to hear or read another word about the Dunnes and their "Happy Few" life?

by Anonymousreply 17April 2, 2024 7:17 PM

I remember him as the cute teacher in My Girl. I would’ve had a crush on him, too.

by Anonymousreply 18April 2, 2024 7:19 PM

This should be a great read. He was a highlight of "Bright Lights" reminiscing with Carrie Fisher in her London bed. He supposedly took Carrie's virginity at Carrie (and Debbie's) behest. Like his Dad he always pinged to high heaven to me and sharing a wife with Richard Gere is not the way to dissuade me.

by Anonymousreply 19April 2, 2024 7:33 PM

Thanks, R15, for all the information we knew already.

by Anonymousreply 20April 4, 2024 1:16 AM

Thanks R15 because I did not know all of that.

by Anonymousreply 21April 4, 2024 6:43 AM

I’m 50 pages in and Griffin is open about his dad’s secret homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2024 12:12 PM

Five kids. His wife must hold the record for enduring the worst sex for the longest stretch.

by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2024 12:31 PM

Why do you suppose Irish Catholics are all such social climbers?

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2024 12:43 PM

I'm so tired of hearing about this self-important family.

by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2024 12:53 PM

Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League

by Anonymousreply 26April 4, 2024 12:54 PM

Pre ordered. Thanks OP!

by Anonymousreply 27April 4, 2024 1:00 PM

R25, you sound as if you're bombarded on a daily basis about them. You're not.

by Anonymousreply 28April 4, 2024 1:20 PM

R28 Does attempting to invalidate other people's personal reactions make you feel like a big, strong man?

by Anonymousreply 29April 4, 2024 1:40 PM

R25, it was kind of a silly observation. When was the last time you heard anything about the Dunne family, unrelated to this memoir? Come on. You got caught and called out. Big deal.

by Anonymousreply 30April 4, 2024 1:43 PM

No love for Griffin's performance as David Naughton's zombie buddy in An American Werewolf in London? He was funny and cute as hell in that... at least until necrosis set in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 4, 2024 1:45 PM

R22, How could you be 50 pages in when the book is not available until June?

by Anonymousreply 32April 4, 2024 1:51 PM

R30 Again. You know nothing about me or "the last time I heard" anything. Don't tell me what you feel I should think about anything.

by Anonymousreply 33April 4, 2024 1:53 PM

Dominick Dunne was some kind of lowly assistant on the TV show, Robert Montgomery Presents. He built that into a career by obsequiously kissing up to anyone he could.

by Anonymousreply 34April 4, 2024 1:58 PM

[quote] Why do you suppose Irish Catholics are all such social climbers?

"Lace Curtain Irish Catholics" which is slightly and subtly bitchier...

by Anonymousreply 35April 4, 2024 2:36 PM

Stop whining, R33.

by Anonymousreply 36April 4, 2024 2:42 PM

Irish Catholics are social climbers because there's no where to go but up for them.

by Anonymousreply 37April 4, 2024 3:41 PM

Can't wait. This is gonna be good!

by Anonymousreply 38April 4, 2024 3:57 PM

R32- I work in media and got an advanced reader copy.

by Anonymousreply 39April 4, 2024 3:58 PM

R37 is partying like it’s 1959.

by Anonymousreply 40April 4, 2024 4:00 PM

R33, I know you're kind of a neurotic asshole so I'm tellin' ya: shut the fuck up with the stupid, gurlina.

by Anonymousreply 41April 4, 2024 4:33 PM

We have Dominick Dunne to thank as one of the producers of THE BOYS IN THE BAND film in 1970. 1970!!! He slept with Frederick Combs (Donald) and also had a big crush on Gardner McKay, the handsome star of the TV series RIVERBOAT.

by Anonymousreply 42April 4, 2024 5:05 PM

Dominick Dunne also gifted us with this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 4, 2024 5:14 PM

Try Adventures in Paradise, r42.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 4, 2024 5:14 PM

[quote]Honey, even Helen Keller knew he was gay.

Wikipedia doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 45April 4, 2024 6:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 4, 2024 6:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 4, 2024 6:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 4, 2024 6:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 4, 2024 6:10 PM

And elebenty-zillion magazine articles.

by Anonymousreply 50April 4, 2024 6:11 PM

The Talented Mr. Lonergan...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 4, 2024 6:14 PM

The only Dunne who really grabbed me intellectually and artistically was the by marriage one, Joan Didion. I was obsessed with her in my teens in the 70s and 80s but then it faded, eventually. If someone made a good bio-pic of a passage in her life, I'd be interested.

by Anonymousreply 52April 4, 2024 6:15 PM

Griffin was openly critical of his social-climbing daddy. Does anyone remember the stories from Ash Wednesday? It was a drunken car crash. Liz told him he'd never produce another movie. (She was right and partially the cause of it.) But what put the final nail in the coffin was Dunne's joke about the rotund Sue Mengers, Hollywood Superagent. Dunne claimed to know Mengers' writer boyfriend "Jean-Claude Tramont when he was known as Jack Schwartz back in the 50s when "Schwartz" was a page at NBC and Dunne was stage manager for the Robert Montgomery Show. He claimed the only reason he got the writing job was because of her (probably true). Sitting around with the cast one night, a drunk Dunne put down Tramont by saying if they ever wrote a book about Ash Wednesday it should be called "When a Fat Girl Falls in Love." When the quote appeared in a trade, the studio blacklisted him.

by Anonymousreply 53April 4, 2024 6:35 PM

Dominick was sort of handsome back then. I can't wait to read this.

by Anonymousreply 54April 4, 2024 6:40 PM

Thanks, R9, for the longish linked article. I knew something of each of the key players, and a very little about the bad blood, but what a complicated, ugly mess. Ugliness to the extent that I was somehow relieved for the semi-happy ending of the relationship between John and Dominick by chance in a hospital waiting room.

by Anonymousreply 55April 4, 2024 6:47 PM

The Dunnes are so creepy and full of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 56April 4, 2024 7:02 PM

You know them, R56? Are you that idiot R25?

by Anonymousreply 57April 4, 2024 7:05 PM

Dominick Dunne wanted desperately to become the next Truman Capote, but didn't have the talent or the charisma.

by Anonymousreply 58April 4, 2024 7:12 PM

Zzzzzzz...

by Anonymousreply 59April 4, 2024 7:15 PM

Oops, sorry R44 - I knew it was something watery....married to a woman, two kids. He was great looking -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 4, 2024 7:20 PM

Rave reviews from noted literary critics Anderson Cooper and David Duchovny!

by Anonymousreply 61April 4, 2024 8:05 PM

^ LOL.

by Anonymousreply 62April 4, 2024 8:37 PM

He also played Uncle Nicky in THIS IS US

by Anonymousreply 63April 4, 2024 8:46 PM

I'll never forget when Dominick Dunne and Gore Vidal got in a bitchy cat fight in the letters section of Vanity Fair. I have forgotten what it was about, but I remember Gore sneering that Dunne had mentioned the complete works of Anne Bronte "as if there were such a thing!".

by Anonymousreply 64April 8, 2024 6:09 PM

I finished my advance copy over the weekend. It’s really compelling. One thing I found interesting was that filming Who’s The Girl with Madonna warranted a single sentence. He didn’t share a single anecdote about what it was like to work with Madonna at the zenith of her popularity. Not a single anecdote.

by Anonymousreply 65April 8, 2024 6:46 PM

I read No Crying in Baseball recently, about the making of A League of Their Own, and Madonna doesn't come off all that well in terms of being easy to work with. I bet Griffin could expand on that theme if only he had chosen to.

by Anonymousreply 66April 8, 2024 7:04 PM

Dominick claimed he inspired Capote's party of the century at the Plaza. The film of My Fair Lady had just come out and he and his wife decided to have a black and white party. This is what inspired Capote's party Dunne claimed. And he wasn't even invited. All of the creators of the original production of the musical claimed they came up with the idea of the black and white sequence.

by Anonymousreply 67April 8, 2024 7:12 PM

Dunne claimed he destroyed the judge who decided the lenient sentence of his daughter's killer but he doesn't say how. Dunne and his wife never recovered from her murder.

There was a discussion of the murderer on DL and I believe he works as a cook in a nursing home on the west coast if he hasn't retired yet. Somebody called them once and said do you know who this person is? Whoever answered said yes and hung up the phone.

by Anonymousreply 68April 8, 2024 7:18 PM

The judge in his daughter's murder trial decided the record of the killer's stalking, threats and violence past was not admissible to the trial. The jury said afterwards that if that were admitted into evidence they would have convicted him of second degree murder.

by Anonymousreply 69April 8, 2024 7:29 PM

The judge in the case was the execrable Burton Katz. After the trial he wrote a book which nobody read, and later transferred to juvenile court in LA. He used to pop up from time to time on Geraldo's coverage of the OJ trial. He was a slime bag.

The Dunnes were inspired by Cecil Beaton's Ascot scene in MFL, and used it for their b&w party in 1964. Capote attended, but failed to invite the Dunnes to his 1966 chicken hash soiree.

by Anonymousreply 70April 8, 2024 8:31 PM

Anyone I've know who's dealt directly with Madonna has nothing good to say about her, even if they engage with her as a fan.

by Anonymousreply 71April 9, 2024 5:22 AM

[quote]Rave reviews from noted literary critics Anderson Cooper and David Duchovny!

Well, Duchovny has an advanced degree in English from Yale.

by Anonymousreply 72April 9, 2024 1:10 PM

R72 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 9, 2024 1:13 PM

Never realized Griffin Dunn was Dominic's son. Crazy considering know I see they have nearly the same exact face.

by Anonymousreply 74April 9, 2024 1:30 PM

And I'm sure that's why he was asked for a blurb, R72.

by Anonymousreply 75April 9, 2024 2:11 PM

Advance blurbs of celebrity memoirs by other celebs are quite common. When the book is released, it will of course by reviewed by all the usual newspapers, magazines, and media outlets.

by Anonymousreply 76April 9, 2024 2:15 PM

R76, the usual book reviewers from magazines and newspapers already have their copies.

by Anonymousreply 77April 9, 2024 3:10 PM

Advance blurbs are common, R77. Reviewers for magazines, etc., would not be providing blurbs or quotes from their reviews before publication.

by Anonymousreply 78April 9, 2024 4:24 PM

Griffin Dunne reflecting on OJ's death earlier today:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 11, 2024 11:45 PM

I "dealt directly" with Madonna visiting our mutual dying friend in hospitals in New York in 1988-89. She was normal and warm.

by Anonymousreply 80April 12, 2024 12:32 AM

Goddamn, Griffin Dunne still looks good. In American Werewolf and Who's That Girl he was sex on a stick.

by Anonymousreply 81April 12, 2024 12:34 AM

In American Werewolf in London David Naughton was the sexy one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 12, 2024 1:34 AM

They both were, but I agree, R82. Naughton was the fuck piece in that.

by Anonymousreply 83April 12, 2024 2:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!