Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Can’t Bill Maher Stop Being a Dick?

Has being a jerk been his entire personality this whole time?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 28, 2024 1:19 AM

That's his schtick. Dick schtick.

by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2024 3:32 PM

I've never gotten the impression that Maher puts other's comfort and well-being before his own. See also his rage at COVID restrictions.

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2024 3:45 PM

He's always been this way. Oppositional Defiant Disorder, I think it's called? AKA: a selfish dick.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2024 3:47 PM

This guy is also such a big Mary that couldn't stand a bit of marijuana smoke.

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2024 3:49 PM

He’s too arrogant to realize that his weed-smoking contrarian schtick has grown old—as he has.

by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2024 4:03 PM

Steve-O has become a woke cunt too. Not the rule-bending badass of yesteryear. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2024 4:06 PM

R5 Number 2 show on HBO. He won’t miss you as a viewer.

by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2024 4:07 PM

I don't know if he still has a problem with holiday lights, but in the past he was very critical of his neighbors. Imagine having that grumpy gas bag as a neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2024 4:08 PM

This dude never said a single funny thing in his entire life. How does he still have a career?

by Anonymousreply 9April 1, 2024 4:14 PM

R4, he’s almost killed himself huffing air duster so I think most problem would agree that he has such severe addiction, a disease not a character flaw, that it’s prudent for him not to be around it at all.

The best thing would have been not to do and interview with Maher at all.

by Anonymousreply 10April 1, 2024 4:17 PM

Thanks for the newsflash R7

by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2024 4:19 PM

R6 You lose all your credibility when you use the word woke.

by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2024 4:28 PM

R12 to you. Not to others. You’re not changing my mind. You would lose all credibility to me when you start rapid firing “racist”, “sexist”, “transphobic”, “cis”, “MAGA”, “privilege”, “ytpipo”, “bigot”.

by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2024 4:31 PM

To others as well, R6 - like me. MAGA types proudly identify as such, liberals never call themselves “woke.”

by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2024 4:38 PM

R14 we get it, you’re in the progressive left Nazi army. Don’t you have toddlers to transition and Jews to hate? Free Palestine! Yasssss Kween

by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2024 4:40 PM

I think we all know how R13 is voting

by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2024 4:51 PM

[quote][R6] You lose all your credibility when you use the word woke.

Exactly. On the DL it screams troll, right-wing nut or a combination of both.

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2024 6:49 PM

The fact that Maher refused to not smoke wed for a couple of hours out of respect for his guest shows you what he's all about. Himself. I'm not a former smoker or drug abuser, but if I was a guest in someone's home, I would expect they respect my request not to smoke while I was there.

by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2024 7:27 PM

Fuck Steve-o. I can't stand his ass either. He had Tommy Lee on his show and he wouldn't shut up long enough to let him talk. I could never stand him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2024 10:03 PM

You're embarrassing yourself, r15. Stop thinking about toddler's genitals for a second and go do something fulfilling.

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2024 11:24 PM

Steve-O should be on a permanent apology tour. He has no business criticizing anyone else’s manners ever. I’m glad he’s sober and all, but he should just go away.

by Anonymousreply 21April 2, 2024 3:38 AM

Why, I'm shocked that Bill Maher didn't give up smoking in all forms at the behest of that bastion of manners and morals, Mr. Steve-O! In Mr O's heyday, he surely would have acquiesced to the merest of requests to ensure the physical and spiritual sanctity of those in his environment.

by Anonymousreply 22April 2, 2024 7:30 AM

R19 Why would you want to hear Tommy Lee talk? You should be grateful that Steve-o didn't shut up the whole time

by Anonymousreply 23April 2, 2024 8:16 AM

Bill has been hanging around more right wingers lately (not just Ann C.) - Kimmel's one time partner now right wing hack & some of those right wing SNL types that have come out of their closet of the years like Dennis what's his face. Maher is easily influenced in more ways than one (sexy, money, fame, drugs, entitlements tp parties, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 24April 2, 2024 8:17 AM

Maher thinks he's cute, this is a common affliction that plagues modern society.

by Anonymousreply 25April 2, 2024 8:29 AM

He used to be funny, my hubby and I started watching him in the 90s because we are very old. I can’t stand his recent get off my lawn attitude. My husband watches him but I only watch if the guest makes Maher look bad. Maher is too bitchy now, he’s probably on dl too

by Anonymousreply 26April 2, 2024 8:49 AM

I watch his HBO show, but it’s pretty uneven. I enjoyed all of this past week’s guests (Fareed Zakararia, Dr. Mark Esper, and Jonathan Haidt). Maher’s monologue can be very funny but that depends on the week and probably his writers. New Rules can (and does) descend into a sort of mellow rant. It’s a shame when he has great guests and the conversation moves along at a good clip, but then he has to end it for a tepid New Rules segment.

He has varied from some elements, such as focusing in a smaller panel of two guests instead of 3.

It looks like a really hard show to produce. I stop watching intermittently but now usually tune in weekly. Some weeks my interest drifts away. I notice Maher’s suits almost always fit him perfectly. He looks pretty nice on camera. In real life he’s really tiny and looks almost “waxy” without that thick makeup used on camera.

by Anonymousreply 27April 2, 2024 10:50 AM

I can see why a podcast is sort of necessary to maintain stature as a pundit or commentator. Maher’s is longer than many others, and he’s not afraid of pauses in the conversation. His range of guests is impressive and you sense that some guests know him only obliquely, others he has a more personal connection. The title is apt, “Club Random”.

by Anonymousreply 28April 2, 2024 10:55 AM

I mean....THAT'S his personality. He's like that on and off air from what I've read.

by Anonymousreply 29April 2, 2024 12:04 PM

Maher is super skinny and I bet he eats really carefully, if at all.

I’m really glad he stopped doing impersonations of younger, cooler people. He stepped in it badly back in 2017 and used a form of the n-word (I think as a strange form of self-deprecation), and it went all the way sideways for him. Since that time, he has abstained from impersonating “gangsta” dialect, and things improved for him.

He still uses an odd, immature form of mimicking “dumb” people, and when he does he reminds me of a lonely summer camper trying to sound funny or cool. But I am only one person in his huge audience. I do enjoy some of the ideas in his HBO Show and tune in for that reason. I think, in fairness, aging comedians manage a lot of fear and isolation trying to stay relevant. And their history often implicates them, especially if they were ruthless or cruel about mocking the generation that preceded them, like Howard Stern and Don Imus or Soupy Sales. What goes around….

by Anonymousreply 30April 2, 2024 1:28 PM

I can’t picture it, but what would a celebrity roast of Maher be like? I think comedians like Anthony Jeselnik might make a meal of Maher if they had a context to do that. Or maybe not if they observe a code among stand-ups.

They all (or most of them) struggled so hard in their early years that they probably bond through that shared experiences being broke and lonely on the road, getting heckled or played offstage. Maher said he was legitimately poor in his early years performing, and that looks like a common experience.

Kits interesting how so many of them know each other and know who writes for others, and who gets good bookings and why.

by Anonymousreply 31April 2, 2024 1:35 PM

^^^ that should spell “it’s interesting”

by Anonymousreply 32April 2, 2024 1:36 PM

I liked the show twenty years ago, can't stand it now. What really grinds my gears is his habit during the monologue of smirking after every joke, he's so obviously waiting for the applause, which is rarely deserved anymore.

by Anonymousreply 33April 2, 2024 1:47 PM

Yeah, him and Jon Stewart. ^

by Anonymousreply 34April 2, 2024 4:00 PM

I have to say it again: it’s absurd for Steve-O to be the most deranged inconsiderate trash bag of modern times and then come back with these delusions of moralistic grandeur. Fuck that guy. He makes Maher look good.

by Anonymousreply 35April 2, 2024 7:11 PM

For all those DL Maher-haters, Bill gives no quarter here to Megyn Kelly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2024 11:43 PM

Too many of you think someone who is a moderate Democrat is right-wing. The majority of democrats are moderate and are sick of progressives.

by Anonymousreply 37May 28, 2024 12:55 AM

He's every whiny middle age white guy

by Anonymousreply 38May 28, 2024 12:57 AM

R38, Bill hasn't been middle-aged for a very long time. Grandpa is more like it.

by Anonymousreply 39May 28, 2024 1:03 AM

Potheads think they are way more interesting than they are.

by Anonymousreply 40May 28, 2024 1:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!