Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Two weeks without drinking

Well, two weeks and 7 hours to be exact. I'm feeling pretty good, and what a relief it is to not have to rotate where I'm buying my two bottles of wine nightly (to avoid judgment from store clerks), nor to have to take bottles out to the recycle bin every third day, knowing the neighbors can see all the bottles I've accumulated (we share one set of trash/recycling for 5 people on our property).

Based on how much I was drinking prior to quitting, that's 142 drinks passed up, 28+ bottles, $185 bucks saved (I was buying some cheaper, but tasty to me, wine).

It's been so wonderful to wake up ready for the day, and eat my first meal of the day without intense stomach cramps and having to run for the bathroom for fear of shitting my pants (and that has happened). No more waking up with unexplained bruises or skin issues (I would get eczema-like patches occasionally and my face was breaking out - especially my nose), and bloated face/swollen and bloodshot eyes. I've cleaned my house (finally put away holiday decorations that had been sitting unboxed on the floor for four months, and folded all the laundered clothes I let pile up on my sofa), cleaned up most of the yard and planted a few things, and am preparing to start exercising - my puppy will finally be able to take walks in the outside world this coming Saturday, so we'll be walking quite a bit. I've lost 4.8 lbs without trying (because i'm not drinking 1200+ extra calories per day) without any exercise at all (besides a few hours gardening).

How is everyone else doing? Anyone else sick of drinking? Thinking of quitting? Just quit or have a story to share? Share it here! It's great to be back among the living again. Thank you to everyone who has been encouraging and helpful to me before and while I've been quitting, fellow DLers.

by Anonymousreply 32April 2, 2024 1:44 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2024 2:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2024 2:44 PM

Got one for shitting oneself, r2 / r3?

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2024 2:53 PM

[quote]what a relief it is to not have to rotate where I'm buying my two bottles of wine nightly

Most people I know who are at this point just drink boxed wine. :)

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2024 2:54 PM

Good for you! I wish I had the willpower. The sitting is the worst. Who knew being an alcoholic leads to IBS? I found out the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2024 2:55 PM

STEALTH SCAT THREAD!

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2024 2:56 PM

I'm really happy for you, OP. In May I'll have ten years of sobriety, and all of it added up one day at a time. If you ever have a strong craving, tell yourself you just need to not drink today. It helps.

by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2024 2:57 PM

r4 - i tried that once or twice. It didn't taste good and i really don't have room in my fridge for it either.

by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2024 2:58 PM

I stopped a week ago and have had the best sleep in years so I know you're not exaggerating abut the immediate benefits OP. I started drinking the hard stuff during Covid and it's had me by the balls ever since. I was a wine drinker all my adult life (and binged on that too) but tequila and whiskey nearly killed me. On a good day I drank half a pint, on a bad day I drank nothing.

Good work OP. I did yardwork yesterday too and found out I STILL hate it though.

by Anonymousreply 9April 1, 2024 2:58 PM

Can't deny that drinking was mostly a blast and helped me out of my shyness for awhile, but at some point the body says NO MO

by Anonymousreply 10April 1, 2024 2:59 PM

Thanks, R7! I had a lot of death in my life last year, which led me to the old ways of "coping" by forgetting/passing out. Wash, rinse, repeat.

However, I realized I didn't want to kill myself slowly and had things/people to live for, so I really need to embrace better ways of coping such as taking care of myself, doing things that make me feel good, listening to music, etc. - not things that depress me and make me forget temporarily. It's all still there and feels so much worse when you "sober up" - however much you can sober up from 2 bottles of wine before you start drinking again at 5/6pm.

The death is permanent, but the way I react to it isn't. It was time to move on and live again.

by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2024 3:03 PM

Congrats OP. I was heading down this slippery slope and finally got off it last year. It's amazing how easy it becomes once you get healthy again. Never look back. And if you feel like something to mellow you out try a weed gummy. I use those for sleep from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2024 3:07 PM

Yeah, r12 - good point. But I think I'll wait a full month before I go get any weed gummies. Actually, though, once I start walking/hiking, that's usually enough endorphins to really help me. I've not really had a chance to do that yet because my puppy not being "of age" yet to go on walks has somewhat hindered me in that aspect. However, this Saturday, he gets to hit the ground, as it will be a week out from his final vaccinations. I can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2024 3:14 PM

Amazing, OP/r13. New puppy, new life. Please keep us posted!

by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2024 9:32 PM

[quote]Who knew being an alcoholic leads to IBS? I found out the hard way.

Wait. I have no issues now, you mean if I stop drinking I'll get constipated?

by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2024 9:38 PM

r3, why are you asking yourself obscene questions?

by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2024 9:41 PM

Can I simultaneously both toast AND condole you OP?

Wait, why am I asking permission? Where’s my martini?

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2024 9:42 PM

I still drink but I'm no longer a daily drinker. I was a bottle of wine a day, so half the OP, but my body really wasn't liking it.

Inflammation in the joints, nerve pain in my feet, and, yes, GI inflammation, too.

I still have a few here and there but if i go overboard, my body will tell me almost immediately.

Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2024 9:44 PM

Good for you, OP. Sounds as though you're doing a good job of focusing on the positives.

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2024 9:46 PM

Yeah, i'm on drinking haitus after i drunk texted an old flame from years back recently. The sheer shame and embarrassment did a giant number on me. Booze really brings up those old attachments from the cellar where they belong.

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2024 9:50 PM

I haven't had a drink in about two and a half months. My friends have all officially stopped inviting me out to things, and I really just want a cat. It's a great time just being at home, not spending money at some gross bar!

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2024 9:57 PM

Did you receive a response R20?

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2024 10:09 PM

Get a cat r21, splendid idea. You will wish you'd done it sooner.

by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2024 10:21 PM

I did exactly as r20 and the red-hot shame of it STILL was not enough to stop me from drinking. Total embarassment to the point where I blocked HIM to save me from myself.

by Anonymousreply 24April 1, 2024 10:22 PM

I wouldn't jump into edibles. One month is not a long time to wait. See how you feel.

I quit drinking about 5 years ago. I have also worked with drug addicts, as part of my job. It takes months for you to regain some type of equilibrium after quitting.

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2024 10:40 PM

Congratulations, OP, you are doing well!!! I still drink but only socially (about two evenings a month compared to most nights for about 5 years until 2021.) I gradually stopped and definitely feel better.

by Anonymousreply 26April 1, 2024 10:57 PM

Good for you👍

by Anonymousreply 27April 1, 2024 11:03 PM

Good for you👍

by Anonymousreply 28April 1, 2024 11:03 PM

You've done well, OP. Very well. Keep going on that path. Nothing worth having is worth losing to drink or drugs. Not preaching, just glad that you're trying to stop. It's fucking hard and tormenting.

by Anonymousreply 29April 1, 2024 11:55 PM

r16 I think you mean *i* posted the pics before asking if the person who posted the pics had one for shitting yourself.

I didn't fuck anything up, as I didn't post the pics at r1 and r2, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 30April 2, 2024 1:37 AM

Oh, I see...I accidentally said r2 and r3 instead of r1 and r2. My mistake. Sorry for calling you an idiot, r16. Twas I who made the mistake in my posting.

by Anonymousreply 31April 2, 2024 1:41 AM

Congratulations OP!

by Anonymousreply 32April 2, 2024 1:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!