Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

You Tube - I watch videos every day, now it is telling me I have to remove my Ad Blocker

and it won't play a video until I do. Did something change today? This sucks

by Anonymousreply 21April 9, 2024 11:37 PM

I get this message now, it just started April 1:

Ad blockers violate YouTube's Terms of Service

It looks like you may be using an ad blocker. Video playback is blocked unless YouTube is allowlisted or the ad blocker is disabled.

Ads allow YouTube to be used by billions worldwide.

You can go ad-free with YouTube Premium, and creators can still get paid from your subscription.

by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2024 7:08 AM

YouTube premium is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2024 7:12 AM

Put up with ads or pay for Premium. Is that so complicated? Bye, Felicia.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2024 7:14 AM

If you Google some combination of ublock, YouTube, and Reddit, it should lead you to a subreddit that can help, assuming you’re using a Chromium-based browser like Chrome or Edge.

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2024 7:16 AM

More notes: Alphabet/Google/Youtube have been rolling this out for months in waves. UBlock Origin has mounted the only known (to me at least) defense via their extension for Chrome. They give details of how to get around it in their subreddit.

For a few weeks last year they were going back and forth repeatedly - Google finds a way around ad blockers, then the ad blocker finds a way around Google. I haven’t had to update Ublock Origin extension for the last couple of months tho. Hope it lasts, though it probably won’t.

by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2024 7:30 AM

R2 - YouTube premium is also extremely expensive for what it offers. The cost is why more people don't take it up.

Adblocker will update in a few days so that it operates normally and YouTube can't detect it.

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2024 7:36 AM

If you liberate your Firestick, you can find add-ons for a commercial-free youtube (and other channels too). I love it. Google owns youtube so I don't feel too much sympathy when they cry poverty.

by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2024 12:09 PM

Ublock origin will get you around this. Google the instructions, like others have said.

by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2024 12:10 PM

A lot the cost of Premium is Youtube Music, basically a Spotify/Apple Music clone. if you have Premium just for video, it is still nice, but yeah a lot compared to Netflix/HBO/Hulu.

I actually wish they’d break it out as I rarely use YouTube music.

by Anonymousreply 9April 1, 2024 12:19 PM

FB and YouTube have become more aggressive about monetizing. What's strange about YouTube is their ads are often at odds with the video being showed. For instance, a Donald Trump Jr. money beg for Daddy before watching a liberal news piece?

by Anonymousreply 10April 1, 2024 12:26 PM

Watch YouTube videos on Brave. No ads.

by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2024 2:19 PM

Some of their ads are really good. I think because they don't have to pay the cost to put it on tv, they put the money into the ad. What I don't like is that every month they only seem to have 6 ads which I know isn't true but I get the same ads over and over. It got worse when they allowed the pharmaceutical ads in.

by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2024 2:25 PM

I changed ad blockers and now don't get the ads on You Tube

by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2024 6:12 AM

^ What one did you find?

by Anonymousreply 14April 9, 2024 6:56 AM

I’ve mostly managed to avoid YT ads on my laptop and iPad by using various combinations of adblockers, but with this latest round of YT overcoming them, plus the annoyance of not being able to block YT ads at all on my TV, I’ve given up for now and gone Premium.

I don’t use YT music. Does anybody?!

by Anonymousreply 15April 9, 2024 11:06 AM

I gave up trying to circumvent the adds 6 months ago and just did the cheapest monthly plan. No regrets. No more searching for ad blockers that only work for about 6 months. Plus, with the one prescription, they let you apply it to one desktop, one smart phone and one iPad and I think one smart TV. If you watch Youtube every day it's worth it. If you only go there once and a while, then suck it up and watch the adds or keep changing blockers.

by Anonymousreply 16April 9, 2024 11:14 AM

R15 - I use YT music. I originally had Google Music, which I really liked. Its UI was so much friendlier than Apple at the time YT Music, like YouTube in general, has a horrible user experience. I may flip to Apple Music.

by Anonymousreply 17April 9, 2024 11:26 AM

I use AdblockPlus, and it was happening to me. So I downloaded the latest version of the Adblock and the ads went away. Poof!

by Anonymousreply 18April 9, 2024 11:32 AM

Please don’t make a lot of changes. My mother, who is in her 80s, discovered YouTube and she’s addicted. Other than her watching a bunch of “prepper” videos and buying 25 gallons of bottled water, it keeps her occupied.

by Anonymousreply 19April 9, 2024 12:10 PM

r14 uBlock - it's free and works on You Tube too.

by Anonymousreply 20April 9, 2024 2:10 PM

I love YouTube Premium. I will never go back. I use it more than any other streaming service I have. Even more than my IPTV.

by Anonymousreply 21April 9, 2024 11:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!