Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Home cooks, how was your Easter dinner?

My tablescape was magnificent. I had a gorgeous spring bouquet, used my great aunt’s yellow/rose Dresden china, and my mother’s silver flatware. I used beige linen placemats and gorgeous pink floral napkins that I arranged into a bunny ear fold.

But my disappointment is that seared scallops were part of the main course, and I didn’t get the sear in them I usually do. I mean they were okay, but not darkly braised like they are in the original Sam Sifton NYT Cooking recipe. (see picture).) The sides were great. We had scalloped potatoes, asparagus and dinner rolls. And the scallops tasted okay,

They just didn’t look like this, and the last time I made scallops they did. Scallops are so finicky!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2024 7:58 PM

I ordered a chocolate cheesecake from QVC but it arrived in liquid form.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2024 5:03 AM

GERG, is that you at op?

Your scallops look good!

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2024 5:05 AM

It was fine.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2024 7:01 AM

I had a cup of noodles. But I got out Mother's best silver to stir them with.

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2024 7:17 AM

Broccoli and Stilton Soup

Roast Lamb with Roast Potatoes, Green Beans, Roasted Vegetables

Lemon Sorbet

by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2024 7:43 AM

Yes OP, scallops need a ripplingly hot pan to get the crust on them. Hope your dinner went well otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2024 9:22 AM

I had black jelly beans and malted milk balls. I’m very sick with a terrible sore throat.

by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2024 1:39 PM

Homemade gyros, Ruffled potato chips, a delicious pickle and some ice code diet Coke. I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2024 2:07 PM

[quote] GERG, is that you at op? Your scallops look good!

No. There are several clues that I am not the OP.

1. I would never talk about a ‘tablescape.’

2. I don’t own any china from my great aunt.

3. I wouldn’t use pink floral napkins, and I would never fold a napkin into bunny ears.

4. Scallops have to be very dry in order to brown like the scallops shown in the OP post.

I don’t mean to insult the OP in any way.

by Anonymousreply 9April 1, 2024 2:08 PM

And you would never say “darkly braised”.

by Anonymousreply 10April 1, 2024 2:10 PM

But since you asked, as usual, my meal of prunes and ice cubes, my signature dishes, were a tremendous success.

by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2024 2:10 PM

[quote] And you would never say “darkly braised”.

Oh, right.

One doesn’t braise scallops.

And browning has to precede braising.

Scallops should be quickly seared.

by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2024 2:13 PM

R11, what age are you?

by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2024 2:16 PM

I also would never pair scallops with scalloped potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2024 2:18 PM

Fabulous! McDonalds never disappoints.

by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2024 2:22 PM

"what age are you?"

Old enough to know a pompous blowhard when I see/hear one.

by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2024 2:24 PM

[quote] Old enough to know a pompous blowhard when I see/hear one.

Because referring to prunes and ice cubes and using my name makes you sound like a child or just a real asshole.

I suspect you’re just a real asshole.

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2024 2:28 PM

Stanley Tucci’s receipe for zucchini pasta, honey roasted carrots and green salad. Lots of chocolate peanut butter eggs.

by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2024 2:34 PM

Crustless Easter pie (like a quiche), fruit salad and Bloody Marys for breakfast. Dinner was manicotti, herb roasted turkey breast, uncured ham, roasted asparagus and carrots, applesauce, cabbage and onions sautéed in butter. So much sodium has my fingers all swollen up today.

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2024 2:49 PM

Made a meatloaf using veal, pork, beef, and Lipton's Beefy Onion soup mix. Had brown gravy, green beans, and corn to go with it. That meatloaf recipe never disappoints. Having leftovers tonight for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2024 3:29 PM

Bloodies started my day with quiche Lorraine .

Spiral cut ham, potatoes dauphinois, roasted asparagus. Strawberry shortcake for dessert .

Perfectly enjoyable and I hope the same for all of you

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2024 4:06 PM

R9, well, that's too bad, since you kinda did repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2024 7:57 PM

My live snails on crushed ice and monkey-brains-mushroom quiche were big hits!

by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2024 7:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!