Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kim Novak & Fred MacMurray are a "Pushover" for each other! 1954

My latest, 1954's film noir, "Pushover," stars Fred MacMurray & Kim Novak. TCM airs this twice on Easter, @ 12:30 a.m. & 10 a.m./ET. Fred's a dirty cop who wants a bank robber's loot AND luscious kept woman, Kim Novak, in her first credited role. "Pushover" is a nifty little noir, stylish & surprisingly adult for a '50s flick. My look @ "Pushover" here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 31, 2024 8:24 PM

youtube free without commercials

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2024 11:20 PM

Novak seems more animated in this film compared to the somnambulist she became.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2024 11:22 PM

Fred was so fuckable back then.

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2024 11:51 PM

This was Kim's first movie. She'd never acted before. Her strengths and weaknesses are on full display, even here...

by Anonymousreply 4March 31, 2024 1:06 AM

You know who's fuckable? Philip fucking Carey! So handsome, hot, and charismatic. Known later as Asa Buchanan on "One Life to Live." Also, note how many scenes of Kim are silent because she had virtually no acting experience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 31, 2024 1:10 AM

In those first few scenes Kim Novak seems like a Catherine O'Hara SCTV skit.

by Anonymousreply 6March 31, 2024 1:23 AM

OP, I like this movie. It's a good, underrated noir

by Anonymousreply 7March 31, 2024 1:23 AM

There are a few actors in Hollywood I never got why they were ever popular. They couldn't act for shit, and they were not good looking by any standard. Fred MacMurray is one and so was Glenn Ford. I'd throw Dana Andrews in with them t oo. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 8March 31, 2024 1:24 AM

You can throw Dana to me instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 31, 2024 1:31 AM

[quote]There are a few actors in Hollywood I never got why they were ever popular. They couldn't act for shit, and they were not good looking by any standard.

Fred McMurray had the required look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2024 1:33 AM

I like Dana Andrews, too

by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2024 1:40 AM

[quote]and even her final big movie, The Legend of Lylah Clare.

The Mirror Crack'd would like to have a word with you, Rick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2024 1:55 AM

Hi, typically Fred MacMurray is a snooze to me, I only like him when he plays bad guys. Glenn Ford is a yawn, too... the Kevin Costner of his generation. But Dana Andrews? I thought he was intense... and hot!

by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2024 2:22 AM

I don't ever want Glenn Ford to be in a Datalounge thread again. I hate him. He gets on my very last fucking nerve.

by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2024 2:32 AM

Thank you R14. You and I have similar taste. The only movie I ever enjoyed Fred MacMurray in was Double Indemnity. He played an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2024 2:44 AM

[quote]youtube free without commercials

TCM doesn't have commercials.

by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2024 3:03 AM

[quote]Thank you [R14]. You and I have similar taste. The only movie I ever enjoyed Fred MacMurray in was Double Indemnity. He played an asshole.

What about "The Caine Mutiny" and "The Apartment"?

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2024 3:04 AM

Dana Andrews was tip-top in every single movie he did. And a dreamboat.

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2024 3:07 AM

You guys! Dana Andrews looked like the Pharmacist at the local drug store. Waiting for Jane Powell to show up.

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2024 3:12 AM

something wrong with the local druggist?

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2024 3:16 AM

Love is the drug I want Dreamboat Dana to prescribe.

by Anonymousreply 21March 31, 2024 4:05 AM

"Pushover" is a pretty racy movie for '54... though the thought of Fred getting frisky makes me throw up in my mouth...

by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2024 11:59 AM

Fred wasn’t too shabby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 31, 2024 12:32 PM

R5. I remember Philip Carey from an episode of All in the Family where he played Archie's drinking buddy who turned out to be gay. Great episode.

by Anonymousreply 24March 31, 2024 3:20 PM

Kim Novak hated the heavy lipstick and elaborate makeup the studio put on her, and for the first days of filming removed much of it in private. She knew that once the look for the character was established they’d have to keep going with whatever style had made it on film.

The alterations initially went undetected and her plan was successful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 31, 2024 4:09 PM

r22=Tina Cole

by Anonymousreply 26March 31, 2024 4:36 PM

I wondered about Kim's makeup, because it changes as the movie goes along. The early make up was hard and artificial.

by Anonymousreply 27March 31, 2024 8:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!