Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lesbian leads the charge on anti-squatting in Florida

Ms. Kathy Peeples found herself locked in a battle with squatters who occupied her Jacksonville rental home. It took months to remove them. A new law in Florida seeks to change that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2024 11:34 AM

She'll be called a Repug Klangranny in...one...two...three...

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2024 6:47 PM

just call it house sitting

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2024 6:52 PM

I’m waiting for Senior Lesbian to chime in

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2024 6:54 PM

Good for her! That this is happening so often throughout the country is completely insane and must end.

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2024 7:00 PM

Only good thing to come out of Florida in ages. No fan of landlords, but squatters are even worse.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2024 7:00 PM

This is just crazy. If this happened in Flyoverstan, you’d be getting a death wish.

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2024 7:03 PM

Only a braindead gay person would side with DeSantis and the right

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2024 7:08 PM

R7 A broken clock is right twice a day. Some times you have to put your white gogo boots aside as hard as it is.

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2024 7:11 PM

OK, R3. As I've said here before, my neighborhood adjacent to the Ocala National Forest is chock full of squatters. They move into trailers that the folks "up North" have left empty because the elderly folks here have died and the heirs up home don't want to deal with the property they've inherited. Or -- renters trash the trailer(s) to shit and move out, and the owners don't want to rehab them, so they're left empty. If you want an empty one, you can come to my neighborhood and pick one up for the back taxes, probably around $3000.

The squatters move in and we don't know whether they actually belong in the trailers or not. I mean, for all I and my neighbors know, these folks could be paying rent -- but I doubt it. The sheriff's department won't do anything unless the owners complain, and we have no way of contacting the owners, if the owners even care.

That's why my neck of the woods is chock full of opioid and meth addicts. Easy to find a place to lay your head if you're so inclined. But the heat of the summer is just around the corner, and with no electricity to keep cool, perhaps some of them will wander north to hang out with all of you.

I know a few years back -- 2012? 13? -- a biker buddy of mine from Queens bought a cheap abandoned house in JAX and was fixing it up. The back boundary of the (small) yard was a set of railroad tracks. There were many houses like that then, but I don't know about now, since property values in mainstream areas in FL have skyrocketed. I wonder if he ever moved in -- his wife refused to quit her job in the city to move to FL. But at least, where I live, I have the forest and the wildlife. JAX is like Philly with wide lanes and no row houses.

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2024 7:14 PM

R7, only a braindead gay person would not recognize the excesses of the left that lead to instability, anxiety, and resentment, all of which contribute to the hyper-correction that is gradually garnering more support across most demographics.

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2024 7:18 PM

[quote] property values in mainstream areas in FL have skyrocketed.

Gee I wonder if that could have anything to do with why the poor are homeless and squatting in abandoned properties.

by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2024 7:23 PM

[quote] If you want an empty one, you can come to my neighborhood and pick one up for the back taxes, probably around $3000.

Guess you missed that part of my post, hunh, R11?

Hon, these aren't poor hungry families for whom you should feel compassion. They're junkies, meth-heads and various sorts of miscreants. My neighbor's outdoor camera caught a guy who I've actually seen before walking into their (fenced-in) yard carrying a rifle and a sidearm. They've had break-ins at their place before, because they're snowbirds. And there's another guy I see on occasion with a half of a right arm who actually openly carries a gun (illegal here) on that side of his belt. I figure he must be crazy -- I mean, why would anyone do that? And a trailer about five blocks from me actually blew up from people cooking meth a few years ago. There's a reason I have cameras and motion lights all around my property.

Yeah, poor young families who can't afford a place to live -- HA! As I've told you guys before, you wouldn't want to live here. And if you tried, you wouldn't last long. But feel free to move here! We could use a horde of tasteful gay men to fix the place up!

by Anonymousreply 12March 30, 2024 7:40 PM

This isn't a partisan issue. The squatter's rights laws went too far and are subject to abuse. Squatting should be illegal and this has wide support.

by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2024 7:57 PM

But but partisanship is all we have!

by Anonymousreply 14March 30, 2024 8:18 PM

The marxist progressives/left do not believe in personal property....at least for other people. They'll keep theirs, though.

by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2024 8:48 PM

[quote]JAX is like Philly with wide lanes and no row houses.

A ringing endorsement, if I've ever read one!

by Anonymousreply 16March 30, 2024 8:54 PM

I thought that lesbians love to SQUAT over each other?

by Anonymousreply 17March 30, 2024 9:22 PM

Whoever decided a squatter should be treated like a tenant should be publicly flogged.

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2024 11:08 AM

[quote] JAX is like Philly with wide lanes and no row houses.

WTF is JAX? Philly is 90% row homes.

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2024 11:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!