Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends—A near perfect home on Mackinac Island

What say you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 5, 2024 11:58 AM

I love it. You can probably on use it 3 months out of the year.

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2024 2:48 PM

I’d love to scroll through the images, but that horrible “liking this home?” thing comes up and freezes the scroll through.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2024 2:56 PM

The maintenance on that has to be huge.

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2024 3:09 PM

The island has a year-round population of 583.

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2024 3:10 PM

The idea of living on even the best island in Michigan is depressing, but the house is quite attractive outside and gas some nice interiors - the one big negative being the low ceiling heights.

$5M will buy a nice house is most places on the world. It should buy a truly superlative, better than Newport summer house on Mackinak Island -- and with some high ceilings, ffs.

The former stables looks interesting and much of the landscaping is good.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2024 3:25 PM

It could be nice but every room is a testosterone sucking nightmare. Men will wither in this house within hours. No sex will ever be had.

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2024 3:33 PM

I like the house next door which has covered exterior porches on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2024 4:48 PM

Love the house and love Mackinac Island, OP. That area brings great nostalgia of our family vacations there in the late 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2024 5:07 PM

R8 is it true that full time residents had cars that they kept hidden until after all the tourists went home at night?

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2024 9:00 PM

The overwrought writing in the listing raises more questions than answers. A house where no doors need be open or shut? What? Tell me how old the roof is or something practical.

by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2024 12:09 AM

[quote]Tell me how old the roof is or something practical.

People rarely buy expensive historic houses rich with period details because "the roof was replaced 18 months ago."

That's a selling point in the listing details only for a house with which there any more very similar houses on the market.

But yeah, the listing is florid about lifestyle and short on facts.

by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2024 9:01 AM

Wow, just wow OP, when you said a "near perfect home" I wasnt expecting it to be this good. It really is damn near perfect, and that lounge is just so fucking cool.

I really cant think of anything I'd change except maybe the location, the low ceilings are a minus but when everything else is so good I'd cope

I've saved this to my dream homes folder for reference for ideas for my own place.

R10 yes I would want to know how recently the roof has been done, but as R11 says, if you were looking for just this sort of house you'd be jumping in anyway and use practical details like that as points to negotiate on when making offers

by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2024 10:16 AM

It’s not the Keweenaw. That place is out there too but you aren’t on a small island without cars.

by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2024 10:50 AM

It takes a special kind of person to ensure that the bedsheets have the same print on them as the wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2024 1:42 PM

Encroached on by the rubble piles around it?

Fuck that shit. It's also a folly in its design. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2024 1:56 PM

I like the exterior. The interior is givng me a headache

by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2024 2:05 PM

Why no info on the size of the lot?

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2024 2:29 PM

There are no cars which is very nice. It's a beautiful island, nautical and kind of wild forest at the same time, but you always get that freshwater 'pond smell'. Nobody ever swims or speaks of swimming.

It's a great for a week; it's a very small island.

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2024 2:35 PM

What a perfectly scrumptious little summer cottage! I'll take it.

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2024 4:24 PM

R12- I like the fact that the kitchen is quite restrained and some FRAU with very average taste did not get her paws on it to McMansionize it.

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2024 4:47 PM

The interior design leaves a lot to be desired, but the bones of the house and it's high level of artisan detail are very appealing. And that view! Of course the drawbacks would be the ridiculously high cost of maintenance, and for $5M I would like just a smidge more elbow room. Looks almost as if you could lean out the window and borrow a cup of sugar yourself.

by Anonymousreply 21March 31, 2024 5:03 PM

If you don’t own acreage that separates you from other homes, you’re living without the most valuable things on earth — privacy and silence.

by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2024 5:06 PM

Mackinac is abundant in both R22

by Anonymousreply 23March 31, 2024 5:08 PM

The island is dead silent 9 months of the year.

by Anonymousreply 24March 31, 2024 5:09 PM

I can almost smell the fudge and the horse shit! Not to mention the fug of thousands of fat, ugly tourists in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 25March 31, 2024 5:15 PM

The kitchen has a bad layout. The sink is far from the stove. The refrigerator is in an adjacent room.

by Anonymousreply 26March 31, 2024 5:19 PM

It must be freezing there in the winter

by Anonymousreply 27March 31, 2024 6:41 PM

If it has 10 bathrooms and the only one they showed is that tiny one with a cramped corner shower stall I'm guessing the others aren't much either.

by Anonymousreply 28March 31, 2024 6:55 PM

yikes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 1, 2024 1:43 AM

Big projects, big visions, big names. This gal is gonna have it! Eds, we can do this! Let’s do America! Mack-IN-ACK Island it is!

by Anonymousreply 30April 1, 2024 1:49 AM

The wallpaper scheme is INTENSE but I'm in love with all the 70's touches, especially the kitchen and the old stables. More yellow!!

by Anonymousreply 31April 1, 2024 1:52 AM

Stuffy.

by Anonymousreply 32April 1, 2024 1:53 AM

That’s a lot of money for the middle of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 33April 1, 2024 1:56 AM

I had some fun on Mackinac Island with Jane Seymour.

by Anonymousreply 34April 1, 2024 2:04 AM

The tall row of carefully clipped evergreens in front is tasteless and spoils the design of the front of the house.

by Anonymousreply 35April 1, 2024 2:08 AM

Great view of the bridge in one pic.

Is that a bridge to the north (upper peninsula) or to the south? Or is there one bridge to both?

by Anonymousreply 36April 1, 2024 2:24 AM

[quote]I had some fun on Mackinac Island with Jane Seymour.—Ghost of Christopher Reeve

Beautiful place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2024 2:24 AM

No date of build? That’s the first thing I look for.

by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2024 7:58 AM

For some reason I don’t cotton to it.

by Anonymousreply 39April 1, 2024 8:04 AM

Does anyone remember Tricia Guild and the Designers Guild from the nineties? That's what this home reminds me over. Horribly overdecorated and fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 40April 1, 2024 8:15 AM

Beautiful exterior, far too ornate iinside.

by Anonymousreply 41April 1, 2024 8:49 AM

And it’s only a few doors down from the Grand Hotel.

by Anonymousreply 42April 1, 2024 9:12 AM

[quote]No date of build? That’s the first thing I look for.

1888 (which seems right) per other sources, R42. And agreed, I always filter by date if possible, in my case because I like only old houses.

by Anonymousreply 43April 1, 2024 9:21 AM

You can’t drive on the island or maybe you can when the tourists leave.

by Anonymousreply 44April 1, 2024 12:03 PM

Do they have a Costco on the island? I have my broker ready to move on this one as soon as we can answer the Costco question.

by Anonymousreply 45April 1, 2024 12:08 PM

I spent part of a summer in that area, and it was creepy and conservative filled with weird Christian “retreats” and camps. I wouldn’t live there if you paid me.

by Anonymousreply 46April 1, 2024 12:52 PM

[quote] Or is there one bridge to both?

It links the UP with the lower part of the state/the hand.

by Anonymousreply 47April 1, 2024 4:28 PM

R44 Cars aren't allowed year round.

by Anonymousreply 48April 1, 2024 6:18 PM

The views are spectacular but other than that I kind of hate it? I hate the decor, I hate Victorian homes. But Mackinac Island is very special. For a weekend though. If I had $5 million to spend on a summer home I would be somewhere in California or Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 49April 1, 2024 6:27 PM

* Michigan does have a lot of beautiful places but outside the blighted cities it is basically Cold Oklahoma

by Anonymousreply 50April 1, 2024 6:27 PM

Didn’t care for the house architecture or the interior. The only room I came close to liking was the kitchen. It’s just my style.

by Anonymousreply 51April 1, 2024 8:30 PM

[quote]10 bathrooms...

So, at a sawbuck per poop, how many tourists will it take to break even if you're open from 7a.m. to 9p.m.?

by Anonymousreply 52April 1, 2024 9:26 PM

The interior reminds me of a funeral home. All that carpet and those upholstered chairs. And the island has two settings - overrun with tourists and so dead you want to slit your throat. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 53April 1, 2024 9:45 PM

That house is useless in that location at that price.

by Anonymousreply 54April 1, 2024 11:37 PM

Why do you Americans have so many bathrooms? More bathrooms than bedrooms? Why??

by Anonymousreply 55April 2, 2024 8:17 AM

What is the circular pointy roof called? The other house has it too is it a zoning requirement? The pointy roof is kind of creepy. R55 haha I don’t know… frank Lloyd wright has died so the secret remains haha. At least my house has 2 br and 2 bathrooms. I had a contractor build it. My neighbor has one of those haunted house style houses and it has 3 stories, more bathrooms than bedrooms and a pointy roof. They painted it bright blue, it was visual pollution. Thankfully someone else bought it and changed the paint to grey.

by Anonymousreply 56April 2, 2024 9:09 AM

What has "frank Lloyd wright" got to do with this house, Rose?

by Anonymousreply 57April 2, 2024 9:21 AM

[quote]Cars aren't allowed year round.

Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 58April 2, 2024 9:30 AM

I worked as a bartender on Mackinac one summer during college. The rich guys from the houses in the bluff would come in during the day and complain about the sailboat docking fees, their wives, their children. I was 21 and would pretend to care. Bad tippers. Then the Native American guys with knife scars on their faces who did the cartage on the island would come in ask about my day and tip generously.

by Anonymousreply 59April 3, 2024 12:18 PM

R55 because if it can be avoided, we would prefer guests to use a guest bathroom rather than the families. We know everyone takes a peak in the medicine cabinets and such. A simple powder room downstairs makes everyone’s life easier with guests and for the family.

by Anonymousreply 60April 3, 2024 2:23 PM

Family’s*

by Anonymousreply 61April 3, 2024 2:23 PM

R60 I'm alright with 2-3 bathrooms. But why would anyone need 10+?

by Anonymousreply 62April 3, 2024 2:42 PM

R60, I believe houses should have a number of bathrooms equal to the number of bedrooms plus one. That way, each bedroom has its own bath (no sharing with someone you're not sleeping with), preferably en suite, plus a powder room for guests who aren't spending the night.

by Anonymousreply 63April 3, 2024 3:24 PM

No cars and only accessible by ferry. For the right person, it could be heaven.

by Anonymousreply 64April 3, 2024 6:10 PM

That house has no AC. The Earth is warming, you don't want to be stuck sweating your ass off in the summer. Window units on a $4 million dollar victorian is tacky. So it'd be a very hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 65April 3, 2024 10:04 PM

It seems like it would be wonderful boutique hotel or B&B. Too much house for one person or even a family. I love it. Reminds me of Somewhere in Time.

by Anonymousreply 66April 3, 2024 10:13 PM

Average summer temperatures on Mackinac Island rarely rise above 75 and I can imagine the nights are cool.

by Anonymousreply 67April 3, 2024 11:34 PM

You cannot swim at all. The water is so cold it will kill you if you touch it.

by Anonymousreply 68April 3, 2024 11:45 PM

For 4 million I would much rather be in Harbor Springs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 3, 2024 11:54 PM

You should come to my lake house!

by Anonymousreply 70April 3, 2024 11:59 PM

4 million bucks? Get a little villa on a large clean swimmable temperature lake in a good town with things to do and people to meet. Lake Geneva (Leman) France/Switzerland, Lake Annecy France or Lake Garda Italy.

by Anonymousreply 71April 4, 2024 12:18 AM

r67 that's well in good, but year after year, places with comfortable average summer temps are seeing hotter and hotter summers. PNW where many felt there was no need for AC experienced a heat weave the last two years in a row. The UK, France, etc also had a terrible heatwave last summer.

As I said, the Earth is presenting warmer and warmer summers in our neck of the woods. Saddling yourself with an old pile of bricks to precious to be updated with AC (bc it's probably a historic landmark) is a recipe for discomfort and complicated sale opportunities down the line.

Of course, if you are an ancient elder gay, basic DL member, you may only have 10 more years to sweat out your summers so it's of no concern. But anyone looking at this as a longterm owner would be a fool to get uncomfortable money pit.

by Anonymousreply 72April 4, 2024 2:23 AM

R72: FFS, do you think all historic buildings are forced to do without air conditioning? Maybe they are not allowed to park cars in the "carriage house," only horses and buggies? Or maybe they must agree to dress in historical garb and house tours on the half hour?

There's nothing to prevent adding central air conditioning to the house. The worst restriction that might application is the location of the external condensers and other equipment, perhaps tp hide it behind a lattice screen if on the principal facade. A/C is absolutely commonplace in landmarked buildings.

And if the temperatures are fine now and probably the next 10 years, you'd be a fool to install a system preemptively that, in 10 years, might be on the edge of obsolescence and inefficiency - a/c technology evolved rapidly to achieve comforts at higher levels of environmental compliance.

by Anonymousreply 73April 4, 2024 8:16 AM

This was a place people went before airplanes. You can fly to the coast now.

by Anonymousreply 74April 4, 2024 12:27 PM

[quote]That house has no AC. The Earth is warming, you don't want to be stuck sweating your ass off in the summer. Window units on a $4 million dollar victorian is tacky. So it'd be a very hard pass.

R65 I agree that window units would be tacky - but as R73 quite rightly points out there are now much better alternatives that can be retrofitted to historic homes - ducted AC systems that duct cool air to all parts of the house that need it with an outdoor unit either up on the roof or concealed around the back somewhere discreetly behind a hedge or lattice screen. And there are also floorstanding heatpump indoor units that can either go in fireplaces or be concealed behind curtains or furniture - an ornate, overstuffed Victorian home is actually at an advantage here as it present a myriad of opportunities to conceal modern tech

by Anonymousreply 75April 4, 2024 3:17 PM

R36 the bridge is between the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan. There is no bridge to Mackinac Island, only ferries that go to both the upper and lower peninsulas.

by Anonymousreply 76April 4, 2024 3:46 PM

R56 A turret

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 4, 2024 4:41 PM

Frank Lloyd Wright's entire career was the antithesis of this style, R56

Had he seen this place, he'd have run from it.

by Anonymousreply 78April 4, 2024 4:44 PM

Rhoda Morgenstern lived in a turret.

by Anonymousreply 79April 4, 2024 4:50 PM

R78 you are almost entirely correct. But FLW did use a turret in an early work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 4, 2024 5:15 PM

R69 Now, that's a beautiful house. Minus the Fred Flintstone fireplace. And the head of a dead animal on the wall. And the midlife crisis sports car in the garage. And this extremely narrow staircase. Seriously, what the hell is this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 4, 2024 8:30 PM

The Michigan Governor's Summer Residence on Mackinac Island looks like a boarding house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 4, 2024 8:36 PM

It's perfect in every way. Right down to each blade of grass.

by Anonymousreply 83April 4, 2024 9:26 PM

The Governors house is on a large scale and very nice. Yeah the exterior isn't a showy. But look at the proportions of the rooms, and the ceiling heights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 5, 2024 3:54 AM

R83 Huh?

by Anonymousreply 85April 5, 2024 11:34 AM

"Meeting ships arriving at dock conjures images of exotic foods, gifts, visitors, and packages from afar." LOL

by Anonymousreply 86April 5, 2024 11:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!