Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Luxembourg returns after thirty years of sulking.

Croatians currently in full-on delusion mode, thinking they can beat the Dutch and win the whole thing. Utrecht 2025, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 7, 2024 7:29 PM

LGBT performers this year: Australia (queer), Belgium (formerly bisexual, now labelless), Denmark (queer), Ireland (non-binary), Lithuania (bisexual), San Marino (lesbian), Switzerland (non-binary), UK (gay, non-binary).

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2024 6:45 PM

Lots of ugly femme guys this year. The Azeri dudes are the only two I wouldn't kick out of my bed.

And the songs are even worse. I like the Greek, Italian and Lithuanian songs...And that's pretty much it. It's gonna be especially amusing to watch the overhyped Croatia crashing and burning with that lame Kaarija ripoff.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2024 9:28 PM

They’ve all become shrieking Hamas cocksuckers over Israel’s participation, so she will be getting my vote.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2024 10:14 PM

[quote]The Azeri dudes are the only two I wouldn't kick out of my bed.

Azerbaijan usually sends even hotter guys, the ones this year are just okay. Agreed on the lack of general attractiveness, I don't think I have a crush on a single guy this year. Okay, maybe Joost, but that's mostly because of his confidence.

[quote]And the songs are even worse.

Yeah, I think it's the weakest year in ages. I only really like Israel and Belgium. I admit I've had the Dutch and Serbian songs stuck in my head as well, though that's mostly because they're so repetitive.

I have a pet theory that most of Croatia's appeal comes down to the guy being attractive and having a precious name. Like you said, the song is just a shameless Käärijä ripoff. And I agree with certain Eurovision podcasters that him (a straight guy, engaged to a frau) putting on a gay voice for a section of the song that talks about city boys isn't a good look. And he refuses to listen to criticism and change it, too. Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2024 4:58 AM

I don't mind the cheesy Israeli song but I can't stand that singer's smug face. Wasn't at all surprised to read she's a Russian Jew. I generally don't mind the Russkies and I don't mind the Jews but when you mix the two you get some of the most insufferable people on this planet.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2024 10:08 AM

Croatian Baby Lasagna comes of as very nice and modest guy in interviews. He is religious, practicing Catholic, but not hateful. He is gay friendly and open minded.

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2024 10:26 AM

R4 I only just noticed that Baby Lasagna says "city boys" with high pitched voice. I believe it has more to do with his country boy pride, it is a mockery of us from Zagreb, not gay men. He comes from small town and now lives in a village.

As I said he comes off as very decent and respectful guy and has never said anything remotely homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2024 10:41 AM

Yeah, Lasagna seems like such a nice guy I almost feel bad about not liking his song. I could live with the shaky vocals and the blatant Kaarija influence but he simply lacks the onstage charisma to pull off a song like that.

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2024 11:03 AM

I feel like Baby stumbled into success and now doesn't know how to solve the problem of his weak live vocals before May. Oh, to have a tenth of the vocal prowess of that Norwegian frau, he must be thinking to himself right about now.

r5 I think you actually might be onto something there. Isn't Michael Lucas also a Russian Jew? And he's one of the most insufferable cunts on the planet. It's probably because the sense of entitlement comes from two sides (the chosen people + largest country) and it melts their brain a little.

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2024 11:19 AM

I'm boycotting until they let New Zealand in!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2024 12:56 PM

r10 Haven't seen that before, hilarious! Her hair flips alone make the video.

Somewhat related, but I love how after years of complaining about Australia being plopped down off the coast of Ireland when displaying Eurovision stats, people have now started using Iraq as an Australia stand-in, and for some reason that's even funnier to me.

by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2024 1:14 PM

The bug-eyed Swiss queen is now #1 in the odds to win the contest. Do people actually like that dreadful song or are they simply betting on it because they think EBU is gonna make a statement this year and crown the first ever non-binary winner?!

by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2024 3:09 PM

Yeah, the appeal of the Swiss song eludes me completely. The lyrics are juvenile and make me cringe, like something an angsty teenager would write, *especially* that fucking ammonite line. I don't like the arrangement either, the different styles just don't mix well. And yes, I also think the whole non-binary thing is giving him a massive edge in the fandom.

I would prefer Croatia winning if I had to choose between the two, even though he's a dirty Catholic and even though I can't stand the fandom being "Baby this, Lasagna that" as it is. We're lucky Croatians are busy with elections currently or they'd be even more insufferable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2024 3:43 PM

Austria served major CUNT at the Madrid pre-party, pox on everyone who said her vocals weren't on point. Who gives a shit about vocals when you can dance like that?! I don't even care that she wore a ceasefire pin in the green room along with Switzerland and Lithuania. Again, all is forgiven when you can dance like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2024 3:48 PM

Can't wait to hear the Eurovision commentators from different countries deal with our little Swiss Miss' pronouns. The whole they/them craziness hasn't reached most non-English languages yet (thank heavens!) so it ought to be super amusing.

by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2024 3:55 PM

I like British queen Ollly Alexander's song 'Dizzy', but I think it's too generic to do well at Eurovision

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2024 1:46 AM

I'm a big fan of the Swiss entry DESPITE being over 24/7 gender identity yada yada yada. To my mind, the mix of styles reinforces the theme and the kid sells the hell out of it. Very much my favorite, followed by the Italy/Greece/Armenia trifecta.

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2024 2:32 AM

r16 Yeah, it plays well on radio, but just doesn't have enough oomph for ESC. I have the exact same problem with Italy's song, which I see as their weakest entry since 2018.

r17 My favourite ESC reviewer on YouTube declared it as his number one entry this year and I just don't get the appeal, it's like nails on a chalkboard for me. Same issue I have with Ireland – it's like something a drama student would come up with, it's juvenile and lacks polish.

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2024 3:26 AM

There used to be decent songs by artists you wanted to hear, as well as good entertaining silliness. Eurovision now is a big, overblown camp nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2024 8:30 AM

Olivia Newton-John singing about the Salvation Army. Peak Eurovision. She was blown away by ABBA that year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2024 9:56 AM

r19 There's something for everyone in each year's selection, you're just not giving it enough of a chance. Then there's the back catalogue for participating artists, where you can find even more to your liking. I discover so much new good music that way every year.

by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2024 10:57 AM

^ I’m in the UK, and I’ve been watching it all my life. The music has definitely deteriorated.

by Anonymousreply 22April 7, 2024 11:10 AM

I've also been watching my whole life and I've noticed just the opposite – the move away from the joke/novelty acts over the past decade (thanks largely to the juries) has improved the quality of both participants and the music markedly, which has in turn attracted even better artists who never would have contemplated taking part in ESC previously because of the low quality of the entries. I'm in a more neutral country though, so my view might not be as tainted by historical and geopolitical considerations.

However, there are some warning signs that a new circus cycle might be starting all over again – Croatia last year, Finland this year...

by Anonymousreply 23April 7, 2024 11:17 AM

it's interesting how Eurovision songs fluctuate in style - there are years when everything appears designed to appeal to the average US listener, there are years when countries emphasize their folk traditions, at other times they go heavy on the ballads and this year, we get primarily dance numbers, with some good quality ballads - I know that was Israel is doing is awful, but Hurricane is a beautiful song. Slimane's Mon Amour is also gorgeous, and he appears to have a great voice, and Latvia's Hollow is also great.

The danceable songs are extremely catchy, but I must say that they all sound like updated versions of things that have been done before.

The only songs I have found to be atrocious are Estonia's, Greece's, Ireland's, Italy's, Malta's and Portugal's hideously disjointed fado/techno/hip hop fusion. Also, I cannot believe that the ridiculous Dutch nonsense is among people's favourites, as it is also hideous and it sounds like it was written by, and for 5-year-old children.

by Anonymousreply 24April 7, 2024 11:31 AM

[quote] However, there are some warning signs that a new circus cycle might be starting all over again – Croatia last year, Finland this year...

I guess we have to thank the EBU for that, for getting rid of the juries in the semi-finals. Smaller countries now stand a better chance of qualifying with novelty acts than they do with serious songs.

But on the other hand, I was revisiting the mid-noughties contests recently (when televote-only system was used) and noticed how good the winners were in those year - OK, 2008 did give us the worst winner of all times but the winning songs from 2003-2007 are all classics. It's hard to imagine most of those songs winning had the juries (with their hard-on for Sweden) been involved so sometimes giving the televoters more power isn't that bad after all. And frankly I'd prefer to see the televote darling Kaarija winning over that ugly Moroccan whore last year too.

by Anonymousreply 25April 7, 2024 11:40 AM

[quote]Slimane's Mon Amour is also gorgeous

I just can't look at it as anything more than a rehash of France's previous two entries, to an almost comical degree. I'm unable to judge it on its own merit because of that.

[quote]Hurricane is a beautiful song

I can't even recall the last time I liked Israel's entry, but that's my winning song this year. Really sucks about the circumstances. I'm hearing they're updating anti-booing technology just for her, to say nothing of stage invaders and a possible terrorist attack. Guaranteed to be a shitshow.

[quote]and Latvia's Hollow is also great

Oh, come on now, he's just a knock-off Hozier. There is not a single fresh thing about that damn song.

by Anonymousreply 26April 7, 2024 11:54 AM

Hurricane is such a run-of-the-mill ballad. It sounds like a shittier version of Sapir Saban's Breaking My Own Walls (both songs were produced by the same guy).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 7, 2024 12:05 PM

The schadenfreude I get from this drama...

Serves them right, after stealing the win from Finland last year. Deal with this shit now, you blond fuckers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 7, 2024 3:36 PM

Can we sneak Hatari into the green room?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 7, 2024 7:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!