Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Book of Love” (1990)- anyone remember this movie?

Book of Love (1990). That time Lin Shaye's older brother directed a coming of age rom-com. This terrific slice-of-life 50's-era teen flick based on William Kotzwinkle's novel stars the great Chris Young (my 80's alter ego), Josie Bissett and the legendary Keith Coogan. It's a mostly forgotten little gem that fell through the cracks between the John Hughes and the Clueless eras so it never quite found its audience. But I love revisiting this old rental favourite, especially since I spent the 80s hearing about how cool the late 50s were - through every movie and sitcom - and by the time 1990 rolled around, I believed it. It has great touches of surrealism and despite being a period piece, the styles, attitudes and haps feel pretty hep.

I dig this slightly square past blaster, it rightly belongs on the shelf next to the likes of Shag, Jimmy Reardon and Matinee.

This is a real throwback.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2024 12:24 AM

The trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2024 10:55 PM

Rolling Stone wasn’t a fan and sick of the 50s nostalgia that wouldn’t go away in the late 70s and 80s. In 1990 they wanted it GONE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2024 11:06 PM

I seem to remember Ls Grande Actrise Sofia Coppola being in this, am I wrong?

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2024 11:45 PM

Fleetwood Mac did a decent rendition of the song.

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2024 11:56 PM

Danny Nucci was and is so fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2024 12:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!