Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Richard Dreyfuss

The son of a New York lawyer, he says he knew early on he was a good actor and thought he might be a great one. Success, if not quite greatness, followed fast and before the age of 30 he starred in Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and won an Oscar for The Goodbye Girl.

Five years later, he was out of work, broke, and on a drugs charge. He made his comeback with the hit film Down and Out in Beverly Hills. Since then, films such as Stand By Me, The American President, and Mr. Holland's Opus have proved that real stars never die, they sometimes just fade a bit.

Now, he is the director of The Dreyfuss Civics Initiative, which is dedicated to developing a fully integrated holistic solution to America’s civic crisis.

He is Richard Dreyfuss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 24, 2024 3:03 AM

No one plays pompous ass like Richard Dreyfuss

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2024 5:41 PM

He's doing the comic con circuit these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2024 5:41 PM

He is a great actor. I love nearly everything he's done.

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2024 5:43 PM

Jaws

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2024 5:43 PM

Is he closeted?

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2024 5:44 PM

Love how Margaret Hoover calls him out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2024 5:46 PM

The Charlie Rose Interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2024 5:47 PM

Richard Dreyfuss Breaks Down His Career

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2024 5:50 PM

Desert Island Discs, 1999

The Beatles, Paul Simon, Marvin Hamlish, and Beethoven

Book: The works of Dickens

Luxury: "A preponderance of history"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2024 5:51 PM

The CBS Sunday Mornings Interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2024 5:55 PM

Interesting to see him now considered to be a conservative. In the ‘70s, he was the voice of liberal Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2024 5:58 PM

For me the nasality of his voice makes him unlistenable, and his mannered acting makes him unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2024 6:08 PM

His greatest line?

To the cops when he crashed his Mercedes in Beverly Hills and the passenger seat was covered with coke: "It keeps my hands away from my throat."

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2024 6:08 PM

Goodbye Girl was Neil Simon at his most sitcom-ish and Dreyfuss was at his most hammy.

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2024 6:09 PM

Loved him in Valley of the Dolls!

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2024 6:22 PM

He also married a much younger blonde with huge tits lol

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2024 6:23 PM

He’s a tiny man with a big heart or something.

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2024 6:26 PM

This old cunt is MAGA adjacent with his anti-woke nonsense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2024 6:32 PM

His forced “stutter-speak” is annoying as hell.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2024 6:39 PM

"Down and Out in Beverly Hills" is among my favorite comedies, and Dreyfuss is the best among a very good cast.

To say that movie is now dated is beside the point. It was dated when it was released, which is part of its comedic charm.

For whatever reason the way he delivers, exasperatedly, to the dog psychiatrist, "The dog is running the house." cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2024 6:40 PM

Nvm I always mix him up with another actor.

by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2024 6:40 PM

forgot to add at r20, now that I know he's just an old, anti-woke conservative bums me out.

by Anonymousreply 22March 23, 2024 6:41 PM

He's a traditional liberal. The parties have shifted

by Anonymousreply 23March 23, 2024 6:43 PM

In Disney's live action television production Oliver Twist (1997), Fagin is played by Richard Dreyfuss. In the 1985 miniseries, Fagin is portrayed by Eric Porter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2024 6:45 PM

[quote]No one is a pompous ass like Richard Dreyfuss

FTFY

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2024 6:45 PM

I read R25 to the tune of “Gaston” from Beauty and the Beast.

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2024 6:48 PM

Fucking horrible actor and a stupid, pompous asshole.

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2024 6:53 PM

He's distantly related to Chief Inspector Dreyfus, the French policeman who was driven insane by Detective Jacques Clouseau in the late 1960s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2024 7:21 PM

[quote] He's distantly related to Chief Inspector Dreyfus, the French policeman who was driven insane by Detective Jacques Clouseau in the late 1960s.

J'Accuse!

by Anonymousreply 29March 23, 2024 7:23 PM

Kevin Spacey molested his son while Richard was in the room.

by Anonymousreply 30March 23, 2024 7:26 PM

. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 23, 2024 7:27 PM

R31 "My father didn’t see, and I didn’t tell him about the incident for many years,” (Harry) Dreyfuss said. “Instead, I spent the next nine years telling people the story at parties for laughs.”

by Anonymousreply 32March 23, 2024 7:35 PM

I liked him in W as Dick Cheney

by Anonymousreply 33March 23, 2024 7:50 PM

After Dreyfuss had his car crash and cocaine DUI in 1982 (followed by a stint in rehab), he leased the main house on the property where I was renting the guest house (a marvelous view property up on Mulholland in the Hollywood Hills). My landlord would rent the place out every once in awhile when he needed extra money, with him moving out to go live with his brother.

Dreyfuss lived there about a year. He was pretty quiet and kept to himself. He was always cordial when he'd see me, but didn't seek out conversation and seemed a little neurotic. It was during this time when he met his first wife, actress, Jeramie Rain. She soon moved into the house as well. She was quite lovely - very open and friendly. She owned a Bassett Hound named "Jenny," whom I would dog sit on occasion. Loved that pooch. My boyfriend wanted to kidnap her.. lol.

I've told this story on DL before, but my one memorable encounter with Dreyfuss was when we were having one of our "atmospheric river" type California rainstorms. The water and rocks were cascading down the slanted driveway, and the garage where his Mercedes was parked was starting to flood. My car was parked outside in another area that wasn't in danger. Anyway, when I was trying to walk to my car to leave for work that morning, he came rushing out of the house in a total panic -- running around yelling and flailing his arms about the impending flood, fearing that his car would be stuck in the garage.

Let me just say .. that scene of him in "Down and Out in Beverly Hills" where he's running around yelling "Call 9-1-1" .. that's all him! .. I witnessed that scene in real life that morning, three years before he made that movie. .. I had no time to stop to help him, though. I was wearing a dress suit and couldn't be late for work. (Yes, we wore suits to work back then!) .. We'd previously encountered this situation at the property before, and all it meant was that the grate to the drain at the end of the driveway was plugged with debris.

As my umbrella was about to blow inside out, I yelled over the noise of the storm that he was going to have go in the garage, get the shovel hanging on the wall, and wade through the (eight-inches) around the drain and remove any rocks and debris that were there, then reach down through the muck with his hand, and pull the drain out until the water started to flow, then quickly put it back in.

He looked at me rather clueless, and as I drove away, I looked back and he was still standing there dumbfounded in the driveway with water around his ankles. I guess he survived the flood, though, because when I got home that evening the driveway was clear except for some muddy patches with large pebbles.

Several months later, he and Jeramie moved to another house nearby and soon married. I thought they looked good together, because she's only 5'5 as well. But I remember thinking how OLD he looked even back then, and he was only mid-30s. .. Twelve years later, with three kids, they divorced in 1995.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 23, 2024 8:38 PM

Oscar curse

by Anonymousreply 35March 23, 2024 8:39 PM

R35, It should have been Burton’s.

by Anonymousreply 36March 23, 2024 10:09 PM

He was a has been by that point

by Anonymousreply 37March 23, 2024 11:40 PM

He was at the Rob Reiner roast. It was pointed out that Dreyfuss and Reiner grew up as neighbors and Reiner's mother did not like her son hanging out with "Dickie Dreyfuss". She thought he was a bad influence on son Rob.

by Anonymousreply 38March 24, 2024 3:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!