Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diane Warren allegedly threw a tantrum after 15th Oscar loss

Loon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 17, 2024 11:16 AM

Diane Warren is the Angela Lansbury of Susan Luccis.

by Anonymousreply 1March 12, 2024 4:32 PM

I know how she feels.

by Anonymousreply 2March 12, 2024 4:35 PM

Who she? Best Google to check how relevant they are.

by Anonymousreply 3March 12, 2024 4:45 PM

Diane Warren is the Angela Basset of cunts.

by Anonymousreply 4March 12, 2024 4:45 PM

Warren is borin'.

by Anonymousreply 5March 12, 2024 4:47 PM

"..third most successful female artist in the UK" Still none the wiser. Apparently wrote songs for Cher and, (checks notes), Debarge's Rhythm of the Night.

by Anonymousreply 6March 12, 2024 4:49 PM

Her songs always sound like they were written by AI.

by Anonymousreply 7March 12, 2024 4:52 PM

nothings gonna stop us now is a bop tho.

by Anonymousreply 8March 12, 2024 4:55 PM

Perhaps writing something for Bradley Cooper to perform in his next film would end this long national nightmare for both.

by Anonymousreply 9March 12, 2024 4:56 PM

No one has done more to lower the standards in pop music than Diane Warren.

by Anonymousreply 10March 12, 2024 4:58 PM

[quote]nothings gonna stop us now is a bop tho.

And as cheesy as it is, I would argue it was a more deserving winner than "(I've Had) The Time of My Life."

by Anonymousreply 11March 12, 2024 4:58 PM

She's a bore and so is her "music."

by Anonymousreply 12March 12, 2024 5:01 PM

[quote]No one has done more to lower the standards in pop music than Diane Warren.

No one has done more to lower the standards in pop music than Diane Ross.

Fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 13March 12, 2024 5:03 PM

Says it all:

[quote]Michael Bolton has recorded twenty four songs that were written by Warren.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 12, 2024 5:07 PM

She clearly has some core boosters at the Academy who think she's talented and who get her nominated, but real music professionals know her work is total empty-headed schlock from beginning to end and refuse to honor it. She needs to face facts and keep her songs out of competition. I'm sure Stephen King is ok about not winning National Book Awards every year (and he's actually talented).

by Anonymousreply 15March 12, 2024 5:15 PM

James Brolin is Diane's muse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 12, 2024 5:18 PM

Why would she expect to win an Oscar for a film that no one even heard of, let alone saw? Plus, she got an Honorary Oscar last year.

by Anonymousreply 17March 12, 2024 5:20 PM

She needs to write a song sung by Lizzo for a Holocaust film starring Daniel Day-Lewis and Frances McDormand that is NOT directed by Martin Scorcese.

by Anonymousreply 18March 12, 2024 5:26 PM

She's writing the theme to the Harriet Tubman Bio starring Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 19March 12, 2024 5:29 PM

She needs to behave or she'll never be featured in the In Memoriam segment when she croaks.

by Anonymousreply 20March 12, 2024 5:30 PM

She wrote Cher’s hits.

by Anonymousreply 21March 12, 2024 5:42 PM

That song was wretched. Wretched.

by Anonymousreply 22March 12, 2024 5:46 PM

[quote]That song was wretched. Wretched.

And I'm not even going to ask which DW song you're referring to, because they're all like that.

by Anonymousreply 23March 12, 2024 5:47 PM

I’ve been here 21 years and don’t get the hate for Diane Warren (though I’ve probably missed a lot of threads about her).

That said, “What Was I Made For” isn’t exactly highbrow or sophisticated music. And the fact Warren hasn’t won but 22y.o. Billie Eilish now has TWO Oscars after only being known A few years……I can kind of get the frustration.

by Anonymousreply 24March 12, 2024 5:49 PM

What I Was Made For was haunting and ethereal.

The song Diane was nominated for was total dreck.

by Anonymousreply 25March 12, 2024 5:53 PM

The fact is, Best Original Song ought to be shitcanned. There hasn't been a deserving winner in nearly 2 decades and the award seems to exist these days solely to shove an undeserved award into the paw of some shitty pop star who can't write.

by Anonymousreply 26March 12, 2024 5:54 PM

[quote]I’ve been here 21 years and don’t get the hate for Diane Warren (though I’ve probably missed a lot of threads about her).

She writes the most treacly cheesy pop songs and gets far too much recognition for them. Of her Oscar nominations, I'll admit to a fondness for both "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" and "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing," but I won't mistake them for good songs (and Tricia Yearwood and Leanne Rimes were the ones who elevated the latter).

In fact, any of her songs that succeed usually succeed because whoever is performing them (Cher and to a lesser extent Celine) sells the shit out of them.

And we should all get off R26's lawn.

by Anonymousreply 27March 12, 2024 5:56 PM

I would have been fine with her beating Eyelash. Eyelash’s song wasn’t even the biggest thing from Barbie, that was “I’m Just Ken.”

by Anonymousreply 28March 12, 2024 5:57 PM

[quote] And we should all get off [R26]'s lawn.—TheVoiceoftheNight

Fuck off, nurse.

by Anonymousreply 29March 12, 2024 5:58 PM

[quite]What I Was Made For was haunting and ethereal

ETHEREAL! R25’s bar is set so low I’m surprised she can read and write.

by Anonymousreply 30March 12, 2024 6:00 PM

R16, I wonder how many people James Brolin used that line on?

by Anonymousreply 31March 12, 2024 6:03 PM

Sour grape is not your color, hon. Scram.

by Anonymousreply 32March 12, 2024 6:06 PM

Wow, I *literally* have no knowledge of ANY of those songs @R14.

And I'm guessing this one with Wyclef isn't about what I'm thinking....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 12, 2024 6:06 PM

Rhythm of the Night is the only good one.

by Anonymousreply 34March 12, 2024 6:11 PM

[quote] Perhaps writing something for Bradley Cooper to perform in his next film would end this long national nightmare for both.

Been there done that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 12, 2024 6:15 PM

[quote] Debarge's Rhythm of the Night.

She should lose forever just for writing this song.

by Anonymousreply 36March 12, 2024 6:17 PM

[quote] There hasn't been a deserving winner in nearly 2 decades and the award seems to exist these days solely to shove an undeserved award into the paw of some shitty pop star who can't write

Hard Out Here for a Pimp was the final blow.

by Anonymousreply 37March 12, 2024 6:19 PM

R27, that was Aerosmith, not LeAnn Rimes. LeAnn sang "How Do I Live", but it was the Tricia version that won the Oscar. I hate "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing".

by Anonymousreply 38March 12, 2024 6:21 PM

This was the first Diane Warren song to make it into the Billboard Hot 100 - Top 10..

Solitaire by Laura Branigan in 1983.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 12, 2024 6:30 PM

[quote][R27], that was Aerosmith, not LeAnn Rimes. LeAnn sang "How Do I Live", but it was the Tricia version that won the Oscar. I hate "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing".

Quite correct.

That's how goddamn generic her music is. You could just swap the titles and not change the song meanings a whit.

by Anonymousreply 40March 12, 2024 6:31 PM

The article mentions "someone" was incensed that Ariana didn't read off the nominees before announcing the winner. Same was said about De Niro not listing the best picture nominees. In both cases, it wasn't their decision! The director calls the shots. If the names were on the teleprompter, they would have read them off. In the case of best song and best picture, the nominated songs and films were performed/shown during the telecast. Not sure why the losers are blaming the presenters for this.

by Anonymousreply 41March 12, 2024 6:33 PM

[quote]Quite correct.

Quite INcorrect.

The song did NOT win an Oscar. That's the entire premise of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 42March 12, 2024 6:33 PM

Correct about which of her overwrought themes was done by which artist, I meant.

by Anonymousreply 43March 12, 2024 6:37 PM

"Her songs always sound like they were written by AI."

Thanks for the advice!

by Anonymousreply 44March 12, 2024 6:41 PM

R42, my bad. I forget who actually won the Oscar, was that the Titanic year?

by Anonymousreply 45March 12, 2024 6:44 PM

Diane Warren is the Debby Boone of songwriters.

by Anonymousreply 46March 12, 2024 6:45 PM

Is this the song you all talk about? It's great. She should have won the oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 12, 2024 6:49 PM

[quote] "third most successful female artist in the UK" Still none the wiser. Apparently wrote songs for Cher and, (checks notes), Debarge's Rhythm of the Night."

Think what you want about her, but the woman is an insanely successful songwriter, who has been in the industry making hits for decades. I think it's churlish for her to behave this way, and I think her work is largely formulaic. But she's formidable in the industry. ...Just not formidable enough to win an Academy Award after fifteen nominations, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 12, 2024 8:28 PM

Really, R39? I didn't know that was a Warren song. I like it. But DL fave Laura Branigan probably deserves credit for that.

by Anonymousreply 49March 12, 2024 9:58 PM

Behave like a cunt, get treated like one. I actually do wonder if being kind and grateful gets you anywhere in the biz.

by Anonymousreply 50March 12, 2024 10:27 PM

She is a great writer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 12, 2024 10:33 PM

Diana Warrens should of been Oscar winner for Leanne Rhymes singing Don’t Fight The Moonlight from Ugly Coyote with Piper Peabody.

by Anonymousreply 52March 12, 2024 10:33 PM

Oh my. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 53March 12, 2024 10:34 PM

Your baby never looked good in Blue by expose is one of my favorite songs so I can't really say anything bad about her. Besides don't turn around too there's probably a ton of other songs I'm not even aware of that she wrote that I absolutely love.

by Anonymousreply 54March 12, 2024 10:43 PM

Also what moron made the stupid decision not to announce the nominees names before awarding the Oscar. I don't blame her for being a little upset because that's just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 55March 12, 2024 10:45 PM

It’s a shame Unbreak My Heart by Tony Blackstone wasnt in a movie

by Anonymousreply 56March 12, 2024 10:46 PM

Why was the coyote ugly??

by Anonymousreply 57March 12, 2024 10:49 PM

If I were a member of the Academy, I'd be damned sure not to vote for her in the future, even if I were inclined to.

by Anonymousreply 58March 12, 2024 10:59 PM

Could be Alzheimers. Seriously

by Anonymousreply 59March 12, 2024 11:07 PM

R10, while I agree completely that Dianne Thisbitch MUST have made a deal with Satan to have this level of success for her earbleedingly horrible music, I think Pharell, Simon Cowell, Lou Perlman, Jeff Bezos and Scooter Braun would smoke her at the sweepstakes for most damaging to music.

Oh and that little Napster bastard. Metallica was right. Le sigh.

by Anonymousreply 60March 12, 2024 11:08 PM

R33 “literally”

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 61March 12, 2024 11:11 PM

They’re just jealous of us, Diane.

Have a cookie or ten. You’ll feel better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 12, 2024 11:41 PM

Is Chrissy wearing a hoop skirt?

by Anonymousreply 63March 12, 2024 11:45 PM

[quote] nothings gonna stop us now is a bop tho.

I love saying “It’s a bop!”

Check out my Insta!!!

by Anonymousreply 64March 12, 2024 11:54 PM

As time goes on and these award shows become less and less relevant in a digital society, the entitlement is going to get worse as the key demos continue to slide.

by Anonymousreply 65March 13, 2024 12:08 AM

Cher said Diane Warren is the cheapest person on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 66March 13, 2024 12:13 AM

I'll go against the grain here and say it must feel pretty shitty to be nominated so many times and never win. At some point it must feel like they're mocking you. Obviously acting like a shithead isn't going to do her any favors, and I agree her music is pretty shit, but still... that's gotta suck.

by Anonymousreply 67March 13, 2024 12:20 AM

[quote]Says it all:

Indeed it does.

by Anonymousreply 68March 13, 2024 1:34 AM

I thought this year's song of hers was the weakest. Sorry Diane better luck next time.

by Anonymousreply 69March 13, 2024 1:36 AM

Timing is everything when it comes to these things, and, unfortunately, some of Diane’s best work that was nominated was against all odds (pun intended)… surely “Because You Loved Me” would have won in most years but it was up against three other songs which all could arguably have won that night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 13, 2024 2:05 AM

What the fuck is pajiba.com? Who even knows if this happened. I'd wait for a more reputable source before I brought out the tar and feathers.

by Anonymousreply 71March 13, 2024 2:10 AM

r71 they are reputable, very left leaning

by Anonymousreply 72March 13, 2024 2:13 AM

Did anyone actually read the article? She reportedly didn't throw a tantrum because she lost. She was upset because they didn't read the names of the nominees.

by Anonymousreply 73March 13, 2024 2:20 AM

Cher’s “You Haven’t Seen The Last Of Me” was another Diane Warren song that wasn’t even nominated at the Oscars, despite winning the Golden Globe for Best Song. Surely, since it was from dismissed Burlesque had a lot to do with its non-nomination, but it certainly beats the ultimate nominees and winner (“The Weary Kind” from Crazy Heart).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 13, 2024 2:24 AM

Ariana was too busy trying to use her innocent baby voice

by Anonymousreply 75March 13, 2024 3:52 AM

But did she really want her win to be for the FLAMIN’ HOT CHEETOS movie? 🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 76March 13, 2024 5:02 AM

Diane Eve Warren has won an Academy Honorary Award, Grammy Award, an Emmy Award, two Golden Globe Awards and three consecutive Billboard Music Awards for Songwriter of the Year from 1997 to 1999.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 13, 2024 5:10 AM

She’s written for The Pet Shop Boys, Bad English, Cheap Trick, Tina Turner—I never knew that.

by Anonymousreply 78March 13, 2024 8:05 AM

Tina Turner originally recorded Don’t Turn Around but it wasn’t included on the album and relegated to a Bside. In 1988 British reggae group Aswad had a #1 hit with it and Bonnie Tyler included it on her 1988 album Hide Your Heart. Also included on the album was Diane’s Save Up All Your Tears, later recorded by Cher and Robin Beck and a song called The Best.

Ace of Base were (at least) the 4th artist to record Don’t Turn Around.

And which Diane song was covered by Barbra, Diana and Miss Elaine Paige who for some reason is not yet a Dame?

by Anonymousreply 79March 13, 2024 8:41 AM

Jennifer Warnes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 13, 2024 9:15 AM

[quote] Same was said about De Niro not listing the best picture nominees.

[quote] Unbreak My Heart by Tony Blackstone

Um, y'all ok up in here...?

by Anonymousreply 81March 13, 2024 9:36 AM

I loved the Diana Warrens song Robert De Niro Is Talking Bananas

by Anonymousreply 82March 13, 2024 10:20 AM

I'm looking through her list of songs, she's no slouch. Shitty song after shitty song, I've seen performed at drag shows.

by Anonymousreply 83March 13, 2024 10:43 AM

...and by shitty, I mean songs that I like but would never admit to in public.

by Anonymousreply 84March 13, 2024 10:44 AM

How could she possibly have thought she had a chance at winning this year, since the real discussion was which of the two "Barbie" songs would win--and there was never a discussion of a possible split that MIGHT have allowed a non-Barbie song to win; even if there were, it might have been more likely for Robbie Robertson's song for "Killers of the Flower Moon"--one of the Best Picture nominees and a beloved, recently dead composer/musician.

Plus, she just got an Honorary one. It is rare for someone to receive a competitive one after receiving an honorary one (Paul Newman comes to mind as an exception). Peter O'Toole (who initially turned down the honorary or at least made noises about it) was nominated four years later for "Venus," but did not win. (I remember he looked shocked when Forest Whitaker's name was announced, and Whitaker's role was arguably more supporting, but still...). Diane should be happy that her tenacity as a mediocre but prolific songwriter got her an honorary one. Her nominations have mostly been filler for the category.

by Anonymousreply 85March 13, 2024 11:00 AM

[quote]How could she possibly have thought she had a chance at winning this year

She didn't throw a tantrum because she lost. She threw a tantrum because they didn't say the name of the nominees before announcing the winner.

by Anonymousreply 86March 13, 2024 11:26 AM

I threw a fit right along with Diane and Robert De Niro that all the nominees were not mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 87March 13, 2024 11:57 AM

Pacino, R41.

by Anonymousreply 88March 13, 2024 12:08 PM

So when she's hired to write a song by a producer, would one call that a Warren Commission?

by Anonymousreply 89March 13, 2024 12:14 PM

[quote]She didn't throw a tantrum because she lost. She threw a tantrum because they didn't say the name of the nominees before announcing the winner.

She must really like to hear her name.

by Anonymousreply 90March 13, 2024 12:36 PM

Most of her big pop success was in the 80s and 90s and she hasn’t written anything memorable in over 20 years. Her songs can be sappy but I like some of them.

She got a lot of shit for questioning why one Beyoncé song has over 20 writers on it, but she was right. Linda Perry publicly questioned why Lady Gaga was nominated for “Til it happens to you” implying Diane was the sole writer of the song.

by Anonymousreply 91March 13, 2024 1:02 PM

You boys know she wrote “Turn Back Time,” right?

Free pass for life.

by Anonymousreply 92March 13, 2024 3:46 PM

She wrote most of the big Cher joints including "Save Up All Your Tears" and "Just Like Jessie James." The only Cher songs that don't make me projectile vomit.

by Anonymousreply 93March 17, 2024 11:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!