Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

C*nt of the Month: Hedda Hopper

Let's discuss this mediocre actress turned Hollywood gossip columnist, and the many enemies she made along the way.

Starting out as a bit player in the silent era (most of her films have since been lost), Hedda Hopper aged out before her star could soar, and she took up gossip as a means of supporting herself and her son. She was divorced, couldn't type, and was a terrible speller, so it was either gossip or prostitution.

But her humble beginnings didn't stop her from viciously attacking anyone whose sex life or politics offended her prudish sensibilities. Cheaters, fags, divorcees, drunks, and Reds - Hedda exposed them all, and hated them all. She was one of the few big names in Hollywood who gleefully named names to the HUAC and boasted about all the careers she ruined. Most in Hollywood were afraid of her because of this attitude, but she wasn't well-liked. Someone once anonymously sent her a skunk as a gift, and Liz Taylor once told her to "SHUT THE FUCK UP, HEDDA!"

She died in the Sixties, thankfully prior to Hollywood's second Golden Age, the gritty films of which would've killed her. Just imagine her thoughts on films like Easy Rider, Rosemary's Baby, Taxi Driver, and Klute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 5, 2024 4:06 PM

I'm really surprised Miss Ryan Murphy didn't do a Hedda vs Louella Feud.

by Anonymousreply 1March 4, 2024 4:34 PM

There was a TV movie on the feud in the 80s, R1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 4, 2024 4:39 PM

[quote] I'm really surprised Miss Ryan Murphy didn't do a Hedda vs Louella Feud.

He's probably trying to figure out a way to get Charlie Carver's untalented ass in there.

by Anonymousreply 3March 4, 2024 4:44 PM

[quote] She was divorced, couldn't type, and was a terrible speller, so it was either gossip or prostitution.

Or both.

by Anonymousreply 4March 4, 2024 4:46 PM

All Hollywood gossip columnists worked with intelligence agencies, They were like the secret police of the entertainment industry. The gossipers fed info they collected to the intelligence agencies and the intelligence agencies fed gossip to the columnists and told them if and when they should print it …. or threaten to print it. The columnists could ruin careers and the FBI helped them.

by Anonymousreply 5March 4, 2024 5:02 PM

^ "The columnists could ruin careers and the FBI helped them. "

Oh, please, it was all that nasty little queen, J Edgar Hoover, who orchestrated the whole awful truth. Right wing closet cases live to destroy lives as we see everyday in the Republican Party

by Anonymousreply 6March 4, 2024 5:15 PM

She wrote that actor Michael Wilding (Elizabeth Taylor’s ex-husband) and actor Stewart Granger were lovers. Wildling sued her and won.

by Anonymousreply 7March 4, 2024 5:29 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Hedda (or Louella for that matter) ever literally outed an actor as homosexual. Though she may have hinted at it in a not particularly subtle style, her column appeared in newspapers that were simply too mainstream for audiences of the pre-Stonewall Era. It would have all been considered too horrifyingly distasteful to mention in specific language.

by Anonymousreply 8March 4, 2024 5:35 PM

R1, Ryan Murphy did get Hedda Hopper (Judy Davis) into Feud with her helping Joan sabotage Bette’s Oscar campaign.

by Anonymousreply 9March 4, 2024 5:39 PM

Hedda '60

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 4, 2024 5:50 PM

Nine episodes about Hedda and Louella.

Essential listening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 4, 2024 6:11 PM

Wasn’t her son (aka Paul Drake on Perry Mason) a big ol’ closet case who hated his mother?

by Anonymousreply 12March 4, 2024 6:25 PM

[quote] ... Times City Desk? Hedda Hopper speaking. I'm talking from the bedroom of Norma Desmond. Don't bother with a rewrite man, take this direct. Ready? -- As day breaks over the murder house, Norma Desmond, famed star of yesteryear, is in a state of complete mental shock ...

by Anonymousreply 13March 4, 2024 8:01 PM

I've seen her in several silent and early sound films (she was in one with Valentino--and another with Ramon Novarro--and would pop up here and there elsewhere). Going by what I've seen, she took modest secondary roles which she always handled well, always poised and able.

by Anonymousreply 14March 4, 2024 8:25 PM

R12, A young William Hopper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 4, 2024 8:30 PM

Hedda was a major force behind Charlie Chaplin leaving the USA.

by Anonymousreply 16March 4, 2024 8:31 PM

The You Must Remember This podcast did a whole season on Hedda and Louella. It was very interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 4, 2024 9:17 PM

She was a despicable person and I'm so glad history has not let her off the hook about that.

by Anonymousreply 18March 4, 2024 11:40 PM

There was this gossip columnist named Jack O’Brian I remember reading as a kid. He never said anyone was homosexual, but he used these really bizarre phrases so you couldn’t miss that he was outing someone, I remember reading the column where he outed Robert Reed. It was obvious who he was talking about and he said that he was frequenting bars with other men and I think he said he was carrying a purse as well.

by Anonymousreply 19March 5, 2024 3:08 AM

R19 I was going to ask our DL Hollywood historians what were the things they would say to quietly out people? Was "confirmed bachelor" a de facto term for homosexual? I've heard my 90 year old mother say that about a great uncle of mine, but I don't think she means gay. Would Hedda say stuff like "light in the loafers"? Fuck her anyway. She looks like a fat matron from the 1800s in the photo with the other gossip hag.

by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2024 3:20 AM

OP, it was Joan Bennett who sent Hedda a live skunk in a hat box for Valentine's Day, with a note attached that read, "You stink!" Hedda announced in her column the next day that she had named the skunk "Joan."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2024 3:48 AM

R21 Joan was never the same after her husband shot her agent/lover right in front of her.

by Anonymousreply 22March 5, 2024 4:37 AM

If Lea Michele were alive back then she would've broke into Hedda's house and shit into all of her gaudy tacky hats.

by Anonymousreply 23March 5, 2024 5:11 AM

R22, He shot him in the groin and served jail time for it.

by Anonymousreply 24March 5, 2024 5:37 AM

IIRC the Joan Bennett animosity began in the early 1930s when Joan was a young ingenue and Hedda played her mother in a film and, perhaps, Joan was not too kind to her. Years later in 1949 Joan played Elizabeth Taylor's mother in FATHER OF THE BRIDE and Hedda wrote in her column something to the effect that now Joan would experience what it was like to be treated as an aging supporting player and have to wait around on the set all day for her closeups.

I think a lot of the viciousness in Hedda's column was based on resentment and revenge and came from her years as a hard-working but not particularly talented character actress observing bad behavior.

by Anonymousreply 25March 5, 2024 1:46 PM

Fun fact: Hedda's real name was Elda Furry.

by Anonymousreply 26March 5, 2024 2:30 PM

Joan Bennett was exquisite in “Father of the Bride”.

by Anonymousreply 27March 5, 2024 3:13 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 28March 5, 2024 3:31 PM

^ Was that an orgasm, dear?

by Anonymousreply 29March 5, 2024 3:53 PM

I was better in the remake!

by Anonymousreply 30March 5, 2024 4:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!