Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Today’ Viewers Threaten Boycott After Savannah Guthrie’s Faith-Based Book Release

When Today host Craig Melvin shared a photo of Savannah Guthrie’s new book on his Instagram account, he was met with a ton of criticism from viewers. Her faith-based book, Mostly What God Does, has been the subject of several Today segments, interviews and social media posts since its February 20 release.

“Out of the office and been off the grid for a few and missed the celebration of faith,” Craig, 44, captioned a photo of the book on his Instagram account on February 23. “Reading the deeply personal book my dear friend @savannahguthrie wrote about God’s abundant and omnipresent love. Proud. Just so proud. Worth a read for sure. Happy it’s sparked so many conversations. Back to reading and doing very little.”

While Savannah’s Today costars have supported her new project, viewers have not shied away from sharing their distaste for the show’s shift in content.

“This caused us to switch to GMA this week. We still get to watch a Roker! I don’t think we’ll be back, Today Show,” one person commented on Craig’s post.

Another person wrote, “@savannahguthrie quit using the show to promote your religious views. We don’t care.”

Others expressed the same disinterest in all of the show’s recent segments that have centered around Mostly What God Does. This included a February 21 roundtable discussion featuring Savannah, 52, Craig, Al Roker, Hoda Kotb and Carson Daly, where they discussed the times in their lives when they leaned on their faith the most.

“Please make it stop!! I’ve had to switch from the Today 700 Club to GMA this week. Wasn’t one day enough? If I was paying to advertise on the Today show, I’d be pissed. Equal time for other religions and atheists?” a person penned in an Instagram comment.

In several other comments, Today watchers said that the show has gone “too far” because there are some people who just tune in “to hear news and weather.”

“Starting to think about switching to ABC. Don’t want to hear about this crap from supposed journalists,” another critical comment said, while another person explained, “I don’t want to stop watching, but I’m feeling incredibly disappointed in the producers and you when you present these stories to millions of viewers, all with different religions on beliefs.”

Over on X, plenty more viewers expressed their frustration in Today’s promotion of Mostly What God Does.

“I'm happy for her. But frankly I'm getting tired of all the religion on the Today Show. God is personal. Enough,” an X user wrote. “Today has been my favorite morning show for 50 years. But I'm starting to watch CBS Morning. If I want church I will go there.”

Savannah did not immediately address criticism of the Today segments surrounding Mostly What God Does. Instead, she has remained hard at work promoting the book on her Instagram account as well as making appearances on a book tour across the U.S. The broadcaster has also earned a lot of love from longtime fans who enjoyed reading her deeply personal book.

“I appreciate you! Let the haters hate, they'll always be there. But this is a time where you can share your perspective & shine!” a supportive February 20 comment on Savannah's Instagram page read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 2, 2024 1:55 PM

The promos for her book were really nausiating. A huge turn-off!

by Anonymousreply 1February 27, 2024 1:48 AM

Read the room, Savannah.

by Anonymousreply 2February 27, 2024 1:49 AM

Cram it churchy!

by Anonymousreply 3February 27, 2024 2:15 AM

She did an interview on MSNBC and it was just gaggy

by Anonymousreply 4February 27, 2024 2:18 AM

She looks so happy with these two leather bags by her side. Is she taking a trip?

by Anonymousreply 5February 27, 2024 2:35 AM

She has a white trash speaking voice. What were they thinking? Who did she blow to get that job?

by Anonymousreply 6February 27, 2024 2:45 AM

Craig Melvin is another idiot. How many packs of cigarettes does he smoke per day. He’s a bonehead.

by Anonymousreply 7February 27, 2024 2:47 AM

Oops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 27, 2024 2:49 AM

Why do we hate this woman. Someone fill me in — I don’t know who she is.

I’m an atheist but I’m actually very interested in religion and I don’t mind hearing a religious person talk about their faith now and then, if articulated well and with intelligence. I have very little tolerance for Hallmark Christianity though and I suspect that’s what’s going on here?

by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2024 2:57 AM

Never trusted that big faced bitch.

by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2024 3:00 AM

I don't think anyone dislikes her for her faith, R9.

It's that she's using her job as a television host to promote her BOOK on her show, which in turn is promoting her faith on her show.

On a show like TODAY, the hosts should remain both politically and religiously neutral.

by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2024 3:00 AM

CNN's Oliver Darcy:

Carlos Greer (Page Six) reports scammers are "selling fake copies of Savannah Guthrie’s book after it topped the charts and sold out."

On the topic of Guthrie's book, I'm told that by the second day, demand was so high, the publisher ordered a fourth printing.

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2024 11:24 AM

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2024 12:19 PM

The Today show has always been a factory of vapid garbage. This latest promo schedule isn't surprising at all.

by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2024 3:05 PM

[quote]It's that she's using her job as a television host to promote her BOOK on her show, which in turn is promoting her faith on her show.

I'm pretty sure the liberal viewers would not make a peep if it were a Muslim promoting their faith online., because 'brown people.'

Libs are only anti-Christianity, which they associate with white people, because it was Europeans who spread it worldwide via conquests.

🙄

by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2024 10:10 PM

*on TV, not onlilne 😁

by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2024 10:11 PM

Savannah is MAGA?

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2024 9:03 AM

[quote] ‘Today’ Viewers Threaten Boycott After Savannah Guthrie’s Faith-Based Book Release

Unsurprisingly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2024 9:12 AM

I’d rather buy Trump’s Black Mass Bible

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2024 9:13 AM

No longer a creditable journalist.

Savannah is the new Tammy Faye.

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2024 9:21 AM

Sister Savvy going after the Megetchutchers

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2024 9:31 AM

I think people need to understand something about Savannah Guthrie. Sure she was educated and very exclusive private religious schools, in high school I'm sure she was a member of the Civinettes and a baton twirler. Had parents that provided her with an upper middle class lifestyle and made damn sure she was not exposed to the other facets of life as we all know it. Her parents made damn sure that her teeth were straight, skin was acne free and that she was at some level of attractiveness throughout her high school and college career. I am sure that when she was in college she joined some old school sorority that excluded people of color and any other minorities. In other words she's gotten by on her looks and on a personality that she developed over the years that she found useful to get her what she wants. No different than JLo and other celebrities even if you throw in Jesus. When will people understand they're being Hoodwinked and they're being used for their money? Not saying that she's a despicable person but clearly there's a monetary element in play here . 💰

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2024 9:32 AM

And her IVF children….

by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2024 9:48 AM

Just what does that mean that there’s a monetary element to all this? Blasphemy!!!

by Anonymousreply 24April 1, 2024 10:34 AM

Morning TV is a shrill cacophony of fakery & fuckery

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2024 10:51 AM

[quote] Morning TV is a shrill cacophony of fakery & fuckery

Yep

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 1, 2024 10:54 AM

Mental Midget Kristin Weaker wasted a Meet The Press segment with a Savannah interview. How is that journalism? Promoting a co worker's book? I guess it was an Easter rotten egg.

by Anonymousreply 27April 1, 2024 10:56 AM

Her lack of lips has always bugged me.

by Anonymousreply 28April 1, 2024 11:02 AM

Maybe she’ll do a cover album of Kathie Lee dirges

by Anonymousreply 29April 1, 2024 11:10 AM

Savannah Guthrie will be the next Balance of Nature spokesperson.

by Anonymousreply 30April 1, 2024 11:14 AM

She’ll be selling reverse loans with a ridiculous mustache

by Anonymousreply 31April 1, 2024 11:17 AM

She’ll be autographing Bibles this week at Barnes & Noble

by Anonymousreply 32April 1, 2024 11:22 AM

Ewww, I don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 33April 1, 2024 11:27 AM

Really, she was on MTP? So Walker followed up her ground breaking Ronna McDaniel interview with this sop?

by Anonymousreply 34April 1, 2024 11:32 AM

“Well ISN’T THAT SPECIAL!?” —Church Lady

by Anonymousreply 35April 1, 2024 12:10 PM

I am so repulsed by this. I really don't care what people believe, but I cannot stand it being promoted in my face. I was never a Savannah Guthrie fan but tolerated her, but no more.

by Anonymousreply 36April 1, 2024 6:25 PM

R35 Could it be...SATAN?

by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2024 7:50 PM

How would that bitch know "mostly what God does" after the evil shit Guthrie and Matt Lauer pulled on Ann Curry? Bitch was happy to be in league with a sex pest as long as it got her ahead. FOH

by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2024 8:41 PM

Savannah was also promoting the book yesterday on Meet the Press. WTF is wrong with NBC?

by Anonymousreply 39April 1, 2024 9:53 PM

Back in the day you never would have heard Dave Garroway Barbara Walters, or Hugh Downs yapping on and on about their religion. And certainly not that damn chimp.

by Anonymousreply 40April 1, 2024 10:02 PM

I don't care what goes on at Today, but keep that shit off Meet the Press.

by Anonymousreply 41April 1, 2024 10:15 PM

"haters gonna hate"? She lost me with that stupid term.

by Anonymousreply 42April 1, 2024 10:48 PM

One time words of the Cockgobbler. ^

by Anonymousreply 43April 1, 2024 10:51 PM

Savannah Guthrie gives off Dingbat Vibes. If it wasn't for Matt Lauers "whoopsie" she would have been replaced years ago.

by Anonymousreply 44April 1, 2024 10:52 PM

She looks like the type of mother who thinks she can "pray away the gay" if her son starts talking about Broadway. ------>>>Hater. Hatin'. FU Savannah.

by Anonymousreply 45April 1, 2024 10:54 PM

Savannah is the type of woman who only talks about her IVF kids now that she has them. Looks down on the childfree, even though she had them in her 40s.

by Anonymousreply 46April 1, 2024 11:06 PM

Meh, agnostic here (maybe atheist… very non-committal) but I’ve got bigger things to rage about.

So many, many things.

Like the Orange One and the FRC.

by Anonymousreply 47April 1, 2024 11:12 PM

Then why post. When I don’t care about a topic I ignore it

by Anonymousreply 48April 2, 2024 2:10 AM

She’s God’s oracle now. We have to accept it and make pilgrimages to 30 Roc and fall to our knees

by Anonymousreply 49April 2, 2024 11:00 AM

She’s vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 50April 2, 2024 12:44 PM

Uggo McFuggo.

by Anonymousreply 51April 2, 2024 12:53 PM

One yearns for Ann Curry.

by Anonymousreply 52April 2, 2024 12:54 PM

The Today show, and all morning shows are not news. They are entertainment reporters who sometimes read the news or have real journalists on. At one time Matt Lauer was the most powerful man at Today, he was a former VH1 VJ. They put likeable non threatening people on there to giggle and talk to celebrities and promote what is coming on their network and occasionally read the news. Kathy Lee Gifford was a host at one point for fucks sake.

by Anonymousreply 53April 2, 2024 1:26 PM

[quote] At one time Matt Lauer was the most powerful man at Today, he was a former VH1 VJ

I think you're confusing the VJ part with someone else.....I don't think he was ever on VH1, unless it was a one time thing.

by Anonymousreply 54April 2, 2024 1:29 PM

No he was. They had an Esquire magazine video show on VH1 he was the host of and then when it ended he was a on air personality.

by Anonymousreply 55April 2, 2024 1:31 PM

[quote] It's that she's using her job as a television host to promote her BOOK on her show,

It’s shameful!

by Anonymousreply 56April 2, 2024 1:33 PM

Everyone here would be bowing down and Yassss Kweenin’ if she was wearing a burka and talking about Allah. Throw me off a building first!!!

by Anonymousreply 57April 2, 2024 1:34 PM

Hm, nothing about the VH1 thing is listed on his Wikipedia page.

by Anonymousreply 58April 2, 2024 1:52 PM

R58 Yeah I saw that, yet they listed a WWE show hosting gig. I will dig to find it but he def did it.

by Anonymousreply 59April 2, 2024 1:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!