Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gap hires Zac Posen to fix Old Navy

Gap Inc. has tapped American fashion designer Zac Posen as the chain’s creative director. In a statement, Gap CEO Dickson said Posen’s “technical expertise and cultural clarity have consistently evolved American fashion, making him a great fit for the company as we ignite a new culture of creativity across the portfolio and reinvigorate our storied brands.” Posen, who launched his eponymous collection in 2001 and was known for his glamorous body-hugging gowns, was a red carpet favorite for such stars as Katie Holmes and Rihanna. But the business later struggled and was forced to shut down in 2019. He’ll be executive vice president at Gap Inc. and also chief creative officer for the lower-priced Old Navy chain.

Should I buy Gap stocks now or just stockings?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 12, 2024 11:39 PM

I can't think anything further from old navy's blue collar backyard barbecue aesthetic than zac Posen, who designs clothes straight out of a "fashions of the future" newsreel from 1937.

But ok.

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2024 7:49 PM

My gut tells me Zac decided it was time to make a little money, so he secured this deal which likely involves his name and him showing up to some high profile meetings and such.

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2024 8:05 PM

Their stuff at Old Navy never changes. It’s tired. The women’s section is full of huge cheap shit.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2024 8:23 PM

I’ll say even Abercrombie and Fitch is more inclusive and innovative now. This brand is beyond stale.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2024 8:34 PM

Let me guess… we'll get oversized puffy jackets and baggy jeans.

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2024 8:36 PM

We are drowning in our own mess

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2024 8:52 PM

Old Navy is the modern day K-Mart. Cheap and it looks it.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2024 9:03 PM

How about this Old Navy …pre wash your shirts so they don’t shrink 4” the first time you wash them. Then continue to shrink, even though they were never dried in a dryer.

I have a closet full of plaid flannel shirts I bought from Gap a few years ago. None ever shrank, I’ve put them in the fdryer and they come out of the wash with hardly any wrinkles. I lost a lot of weight so I bought new plaid flannels from Old Navy (which now cost what 5he Gap used to cost just a few years ago) and everything shrank and looks like it was tussled over by mad dogs when they are air dried.

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2024 9:46 PM

Old Navy is disposable clothing. Maybe it lasts for a season if you're lucky. Sometimes you get really lucky and it lasts longer than that, but it's priced to be disposable. When you $10 jeans fall apart after 3 washings, come in and buy another pair

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2024 9:55 PM

Oh, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2024 9:58 PM

The shirts I bought were all about $25 -28, overpriced for what they were. Gap wants $60 for a blue denim work shirt.

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2024 10:51 PM

Gap lost. Zara and H&M won. This is pathetic. Nobody gives a crap about Zac Posen and most people don't even know who he is. If Gap wants cred they need to throw money at really famous young musicians & influencers.

by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2024 11:08 PM

Zac has a mean queen attitude

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2024 11:31 PM

But they don't design fashion. Somebody still has to do that for them. Not that Posen will design a dozen different t-shirts himself. But he will provide directions and fend off Finance asking for even cheaper materials.

by Anonymousreply 14February 11, 2024 11:49 PM

Rebrand its name as New Navy. Anything. I still have stuff from Old Navy, Abercrombie and even Gap that I bought and took good care of 20-25+ years ago, including flannels, shirts and jeans, and the material is durable and well-made and still wears/fits/looks good -- compared with the last few years' Navy stuff that is admittedly pretty much one-season-lasting and crappy shit nowadays, as described upthread.

And in Old Navy's defense a bit, I think their demographic is one of those that morphed more into remote-working and home-socializing the last few years with everything going on, plus tougher economic conditions on top of that, and being a generation that doesn't go out buying new or fancy dress-up or party clothes to the extent that Old Navy loyal customers of previous decades did. Times and people change, and then the businesses that catered to them follow suit.

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2024 12:44 AM

What are you guys doing to your clothes that they are falling apart after 3 wears? I’ve never had clothing fall apart in the washer. I’ve had hems come loose or a button pop but nothing I’ve bought has ever had these catastrophic failures you Marys are describing.

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2024 12:50 AM

[quote] "Gap hires Zac Posen to fix Old Navy"

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2024 1:16 AM

Zac has experience with sailors.

by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2024 1:18 AM

Is Old Navy worse than Kohl’s?

by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2024 1:26 AM

Justin Timberlake had BY FAR my favorite Old Navy campaign!

I believe it was SS23?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2024 1:32 AM

R4 A&F has lots of great stuff nowadays. If you're a little more stylish you could probably pull off a lot of their collection until 50ish without looking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2024 1:41 AM

[quote]Should I buy Gap stocks now or just stockings?

You should be shorting the stock.

Initially, the herd will think this is fantastic and the stock will likely jump up a bit.

However, someone I don't think someone like Posen understands the core market for Gap and Old Navy.

by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2024 1:53 AM

They should hire better clothing designers

by Anonymousreply 23February 12, 2024 2:04 AM

Zac Posen couldn’t keep his own small brand together. What makes anyone think he can handle a mass fashion brand?

by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2024 3:08 AM

Why does Tim Gunn dislike Posen?

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2024 3:11 AM

Good luck with that….

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2024 3:43 AM

[quote] Zac Posen couldn’t keep his own small brand together. What makes anyone think he can handle a mass fashion brand?

He is not hired by the CEO to run the company. He is hired to give Old Navy and hopefully then GAP creative direction, find a viable niche in the market.

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2024 3:53 AM

The fact that Tim Gunn hates Zac Posen is proof enough for me that the venture will fail. Never bet against Tim Gunn 😆 I love that man.

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2024 3:59 AM

Zac Posen isn't innovative and works in a narrow range. He had success with (corseted?) hourglass silhouette gowns.

I will say something nice. When he wasn't open mouth smiling, he was darkly attractive for a good decade.

by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2024 1:52 PM

Where is GAP PLAYLISTS GUY?

by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2024 2:00 PM

Old navy is overpriced now

by Anonymousreply 31February 12, 2024 2:01 PM

I like Old Navy for casual stuff and underwear.

I'm a big fan of rugby shirts, and they always have some in stock (even though they aren't in style right now.)

Just got one a week or so ago....green and white strip with a zipper... that I like very much. Comfortable and good looking.

I'm an older guy. Zara and H&M seem a little ridiculous for me. I will fuck with UNIQLO on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 32February 12, 2024 4:33 PM

Old Navy needs to make better quality clothes and rebrand themselves from top to bottom. They are still pushing the self-consciously kitschy attitude they had decades ago.

1997 ad:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 12, 2024 5:00 PM

2023 ad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 12, 2024 5:00 PM

just have influencers shill the brand and teens will follow like lemmings

by Anonymousreply 35February 12, 2024 5:02 PM

R35 Payless tried that

Google “Palessi”

They went out of business right after.

by Anonymousreply 36February 12, 2024 5:03 PM

I find Zac Posen adorable.

Sorry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 12, 2024 5:38 PM

The fact that any of the Gap brands are still around is a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 38February 12, 2024 6:28 PM

Thanks for that R37! That was really fun.

by Anonymousreply 39February 12, 2024 9:09 PM

I purchase workout clothes from ON, durable enough. Made of plastic?

by Anonymousreply 40February 12, 2024 10:58 PM

It's not stylish, but I prefer their color selection for workout gear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 12, 2024 11:07 PM

Natasha Lyonne here for Old Navy. 🚬

by Anonymousreply 42February 12, 2024 11:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!