Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Trump any kind of genius?

My friend insists he is a playing multidimensional chess. Another friend thinks “If he wins the Presidency again … he is by historical definition an evil genius.” I think he a moron who got lucky and caught a wave. Won’t you settle this for us?

by Anonymousreply 73February 12, 2024 9:30 PM

But playing a good game of getting elected (i.e., politics) is not the same thing as governing well. DT was a TERRIBLE President, and will be even worse if he's elected again.

by Anonymousreply 1February 8, 2024 8:25 PM

His big genius has always been to file myriads of lawsuits yet stay out of a courtroom…he always had the money to outlast the other side with multitudes of delay tactics…you can lie and misdirect when not under oath but once on the stand those tricks don’t work and that is a bit of what is happening now…it is still amazing to watch an entire political party twist themselves into knots defending a sociopathic con man along with shredding the rule of law along the way…

by Anonymousreply 2February 8, 2024 8:41 PM

More votes please

by Anonymousreply 3February 8, 2024 10:24 PM

Trump is street smart and he knows what to say to get people look the other way, or to even make them believe he‘s fighting for them.

by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2024 11:16 PM

Trump is lucky that is all. He lucked into being born into a rich family, which allowed him to luck into winning an election even he didn't think he would win. He lucked into picking to run in a party of idiots who will vote for him.

If Trump had invested his inheritance in the SP500 he would be $10 billion richer than he is now.

[quote] The AP says that, if Trump had invested in an index fund in 1988, his net worth would be as much as $13 billion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2024 11:40 PM

Trump is a Stable Genius, which means he is smarter than all the other jackasses in the stable.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2024 12:21 AM

“What’s the most horrible, mean, disgraceful, illegal thing I can do in every situation?”

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2024 12:32 AM

If I weren't a lesbian, I'd marry R6.

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2024 12:44 AM

Let me quote OP: "he a moron."

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2024 12:47 AM

Trump couldn't even SAY "multidimensional chess", OP.

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2024 12:54 AM

He's not a genius of any kind, but an aggressive sociopath whose personality-disordered worldview naturally appeals to our country's growing swath of racists, narcissists, and badly educated intellectual losers. Many others in power are of course like him, but without the wealth to mesmerize the masses. He operates on instinct, like a cobra. No genius there at all.

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2024 1:27 AM

Well-put, r11

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2024 1:33 AM

Trump is of below average intelligence. If his father wasn't a real estate tycoon, he would probably have been a used car salesman. He was basically born on third base heading for home, but tries to give the bullshit impression that he is a self-made successful businessman. He was taught be his father to have zero empathy for the other person and the object of life is to get rich and become powerful. His other mentor was disgraced and disbarred Roy Cohn, another truly horrible human being. Donald Trump learned to be devious and use underhanded practices to circumvent the law and self-promote himself. His total net worth was probably never above 3 billion, but he manipulated those in the media and business to believe he was worth at least $10B without any substantial proof, including Forbes. Today his total net worth is probably $2B or less.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2024 1:50 AM

No, but his simple point of view has always made him an effective manipulator of people. Shamelessness, grandiosity, and a propensity to lie boldly can be advantageous traits. He understands certain things to be true that many people either deny or aren't morally corrupt enough to exploit. I suspect he's slightly above the average IQ, which is nowhere near enough to be leading a business or involved in politics. He has a certain kind of predatory intuition about the way people think and react to things that might be somewhat exceptional.

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2024 1:54 AM

I heard a good description here once. A low cunning.

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2024 2:01 AM

Trump thought there were airports in the US in 1776. So NO.

President Trump Said Revolutionary War Troops 'Took Over the Airports' in His Fourth of July Speech

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2024 1:03 AM

His followers are so dumb they make him look like a genius.

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2024 1:07 AM

[quote]His other mentor was disgraced and disbarred Roy Cohn, another truly horrible human being.

To put that in perspective, I saw a documentary recently where someone said Cohn was the worst person he ever met--and the speaker was a friend of Rupert Murdoch's!

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2024 12:36 PM

He's a very accomplished con artist. His "genius" only emerges in response to dupes and marks.

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2024 12:39 PM

He's been manipulating people his whole life. Banks, business partners, employees, women, voters... He's a liar, cheater, thief, rapist, bully, stalker, sociopath and probably murderer.

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2024 2:30 PM

Motivation can be confused as intelligence. And often is.

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2024 2:36 PM

Trump is a political genius. I hate this cunt but he just is. Look at the facts. Look at the stats. We need to do everything we can so this political savvy cunt doesn’t get re-elected.

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2024 2:38 PM

He's not a genius but he's smart enough to have a plan. Deregulate, attack, destroy and undermine at every turn but it's not chaos from where he's standing. It's a strategy.

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2024 3:02 PM

Was Ted Bundy, Gary Ridgeway & Sam Little???

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2024 3:45 PM

R16, that is terrifying. Somehow, I missed that gaffe, which is more than a gaffe, but a gaping black hole of idiocy. Even worse than the drinking-bleach gaffe.

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2024 5:40 PM

OP I hope you're joking.

by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2024 5:54 PM

OH look another Trump thread

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2024 5:56 PM

Lucky privileged MORON caught a wave of more hate than we still don’t know this country contains,,,

by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2024 6:01 PM

He is the Antichrist.

by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2024 6:06 PM

R27's mother never actually gave birth, per se.

It's more like her cunt threw up.

by Anonymousreply 30February 10, 2024 8:37 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 11, 2024 12:47 AM

^^^^^^^^^

Confusing 9/11 with 7 Eleven

Trump referred to a place called “Thighland”, when complaining about US corporations moving jobs abroad.

Trump Spelling his own wife’s name incorrectly “Melanie is feeling and doing really well. Thank you for all of your prayers and best wishes!”

“And I met with the president of the Virgin Islands,” Trump added, seemingly unaware that the Virgin Islands is a US territory, making him their president.

Trump inaccurately claimed that the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic helped end WWII – a conflict that didn’t even start until two decades later.

by Anonymousreply 32February 11, 2024 12:56 AM

Oh, the debates are going to be off the charts 🍿

by Anonymousreply 33February 11, 2024 1:07 AM

To be fair, R32, Epstein Island probably went by Thighland, among other things.

by Anonymousreply 34February 11, 2024 1:11 AM

Biden does like 2-3% of the gaffes that Trump has been doing for about 10 years now, but the media is focusing on Biden. Even the Washington Post has two article in Biden's mental issues and the Democrats concerns. The Democrats are discussing it because you are giving it undue attention, and pretty much ignoring what Trump says on a daily basis.. A complete double standard.

by Anonymousreply 35February 11, 2024 1:20 AM

Trump is a genius in playing into the idiocy of his voters. You wonder who votes for him and who is duped by him? Here they are:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 11, 2024 5:17 AM

No. Not a genius of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 37February 11, 2024 5:54 AM

He's a paid Russian agent.

by Anonymousreply 38February 11, 2024 5:54 AM

He’s a schmuck but he didn’t “get lucky.” He’s good at manipulating stupid people. That’s what a demagogue does.

by Anonymousreply 39February 11, 2024 5:57 AM

Hi-lites: old grudges, new grudges, how dare you run against me, crowd size, poll numbers, senile Biden, I crushed ISIS, The Wall, I Won...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 11, 2024 7:42 AM

He's a manipulative sociopath who could sell ice to an Inuit. He knows how susceptible his audience is and uses that to play them like a fiddle.

He's more of a strategist than a genius.

by Anonymousreply 41February 11, 2024 10:32 AM

Trump actually said at least twice in interviews years before ever deciding to run for office that if he should ever run for president it would be as a Republican because they are more gullible .

by Anonymousreply 42February 11, 2024 11:33 AM

He's an expert at appealing to people's worst instincts.

by Anonymousreply 43February 11, 2024 11:35 AM

"Trump says he warned NATO allies: Pay in or he’d tell Russia to ‘do whatever the hell they want.’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 11, 2024 11:36 AM

Double standard. When Biden gets a name wrong it's an international crisis. When Trump makes the same or worse gaffes for the past 9 years, oh well, that's just how he rolls. Nothing to do with his fitness for office! IOIYAR.

by Anonymousreply 45February 11, 2024 11:40 AM

"Trump is a political genius."

Nah. It's just a combo of his appearance (tall, makeup, wraparound dyed blond coiffeur...), voice (a patronizing, faux-authoritative drone with poor vocabulary and a tendency to pottymouth) and an image of being a wildly succe$$ful and famous multi-billionaire (mostly accidental, fake or criminal). Combine that with his racist, bigoted, fascist, xenophobic rhetoric and The Haters will follow blindly.

by Anonymousreply 46February 11, 2024 12:32 PM

R42, that has been proven to be false.

[quote]However, there is no record that Trump ever said the quote shared on X denigrating the GOP voter base.

[quote]The false quote has been in circulation since 2015. People Magazine, alleged to have printed the quote, told factcheck.org that year it had no record of having ever done so. It found no archives of the quote and said there was no interview in 1998. Further searches for the quote by factcheck.org returned no archived results.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 11, 2024 1:05 PM

Give a fuck what yall say, you are a political genius if you are found on video a week before the election saying you grab women by they pussy and then still win the election.

He also would murder someone on 5th Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 48February 11, 2024 1:25 PM

Absolutely not R48. None of that implies genius.

by Anonymousreply 49February 11, 2024 3:58 PM

Worse than double standard. The Times had to be bullied on Twitter into reporting Trump’s Russia comments at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 11, 2024 4:17 PM

After over 30 years I gave up on the New York Times about 10 years ago. The Washington Post is sadly moving in the same direction of non-objective journalism. Democracy Dies In Darkness my ass. It's just a platitude slogan at this point. It's sad when an American has no reliable newspapers of record to rely on.

by Anonymousreply 51February 11, 2024 4:23 PM

"you are a political genius if you are found on video a week before the election saying you grab women by they pussy and then still win the election."

It doesn't mean Trump's a genius. What that means simply is that a large number of American voters, despite their bullshit support of family values, flag-waving patriotism and fake Christianity, are just as big of dirtball scumbags and Donald Trump.

To paraphrase, nobody ever lost money under estimating the assholery of the average American.

by Anonymousreply 52February 11, 2024 4:23 PM

Trump has no qualms about playing into whatever the Christian Nationalists that make up the Republican base want. They want a Messiah? He’s happy to tell them he’s the Messiah. They are afraid of Muslims? He’ll tell them he’ll ban Muslims. They don’t like immigrants? He tells them he’ll round them up by force and send them “back where they came from.”

I don’t think of that as genius. It’s just a lust for power completely unconstrained by principals, law or even common sense. And sadly, it works

by Anonymousreply 53February 11, 2024 4:33 PM

It's like saying everyone who is rich is smart. Does not compute with anyone who has met any of the rich. Smart people are as rare among the rich as geniuses are among the MAGAts.

by Anonymousreply 54February 11, 2024 5:59 PM

Has he ever driven a car? Does he even have a license?

by Anonymousreply 55February 11, 2024 6:06 PM

Not a genius. He’s a tool of the Right. Like Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 56February 11, 2024 6:20 PM

R55, yes to both - he actually said that one of the things he hadn't expected as President is that they don't let the President drive a car and that he missed it.

by Anonymousreply 57February 11, 2024 6:30 PM

Pfft. He was driven around by a chauffeur when he lived in NY.

by Anonymousreply 58February 11, 2024 6:38 PM

[quote] He's a manipulative sociopath who could sell ice to an Inuit.

Not exactly. Most people of reasonable IQ see straight through his goofish hucksterism. But dumb people fall for him, and never recover. And there are a lot of below-100 IQ people out there.

by Anonymousreply 59February 11, 2024 6:48 PM

He is really, really stupid when it comes to knowing basic facts about history, the Constitution, and our system of government. John Kelly said he turned to him at the Pearl Harbor memorial and asked him what happened there. A fucking moron like Rex Tillerson said. And he's lazy as fuck--never once tried to study a problem or listen to different points of view. But that goes to his lifetime of always having yes people around him telling him he had the best ideas (like nuking a hurricane or drinking bleach to cure covid).

But he is a genius con man and performer, so I'll give him that. He knows how to hone in on the weakness of his perceived marks. But as far as strategy--no, he just goes from moment to moment, day to day and reacts in a lizard brained fashion without thinking (those great instincts he keeps saying he has). He knows how to manipulate the marks, but he has TERRIBLE political instincts. Case in point was this past week--getting his lackeys in Congress to torpedo the immigration bill. That will not play well in November. You could also look at his inciting the 1/6 insurrection--that has LOST him a lot of Republican voters that did vote for him in 2020. Like the Republicans in Colorado bringing the case about excluding him from the ballot--they all voted for him in 2020 but after 1/6 said never again.

He also has terrible judgment in hiring people because he only wants to be told how great he is. Case in point on this one was his incompetent lawyer Alina Habba who cost him $83.5 million dollars.

He is also a drug addled mess in the early stages of dementia or syphilis brain or who knows what else. So no, he is not anywhere near a strategic genius--he's just a conman which really speaks volumes about the millions of stupid MAGA followers in this country. I just wish he would pass out the cyanide laced Kool-Aid to them so the rest of us could just live our lives without their chaos and constant drama.

by Anonymousreply 60February 11, 2024 6:49 PM

He contracted his Presidency out to underlings and went golfing.

by Anonymousreply 61February 11, 2024 6:54 PM

He contracted his Presidency out to dishonest, dirtball scumbag quislings, toadies and lackies and then went golfing and watching Faux news.

by Anonymousreply 62February 11, 2024 7:03 PM

^ It was his Executive Time!

by Anonymousreply 63February 11, 2024 7:04 PM

R59 Yeah, that's kinda the point.

by Anonymousreply 64February 12, 2024 10:37 AM

He's a crazed & stupid buffoon who has always felt he was too good to actually learn anything on his own, and feels he is always right and everyone else is wrong. In his demented mind it has always been the responsibility of those he paid to tell him about things, and he would choose to believe or not believe what they'd tell him.

The only reason he became so popular is because the political system in this country is such a fucking mess and the uneducated, the bigoted/racist, and the crooked either hated the democrats and were so dumb they believed what he said, or agreed with his bigoted and racist agenda, or felt he would enable them to lie, cheat, and steal with impunity.

by Anonymousreply 65February 12, 2024 11:08 AM

I am always amazed when people refer to him as either brilliant or a successful businessman. They know he was on reality television. What successful businessman would do that? Why would a brilliant person agree to do that?

by Anonymousreply 66February 12, 2024 11:31 AM

r11 He is nowhere near as smart as a cobra, which is arguably the most intelligent genus of all snakes.

He's more akin to a giant naked mole rat.

by Anonymousreply 67February 12, 2024 11:46 AM

Or a red faced macaque.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 12, 2024 11:59 AM

He is street smart. He appeals to the Lumpenproletariat.

He's a latter-day Napoleon III

by Anonymousreply 69February 12, 2024 12:14 PM

Could his lack of sleep be part of his mental deterioration? He's up at all hours rage tweeting. Lack of sleep can cause psychosis.

by Anonymousreply 70February 12, 2024 1:29 PM

I believe I read once that the shitbag had expressed interest in Hollywood and being on tv or in the movies. What he should have done is produced movies. That would have given him access to red carpet events and being on camera and perhaps saved us all from his 4 years of chaos and and destruction.

by Anonymousreply 71February 12, 2024 1:34 PM

Isn't being a movie producer a lot of work R71? He's too lazy for that, but a Hollywood job would have given him more access to young actresses to rape, instead of going through his pimp Jeffrey Epstein.

by Anonymousreply 72February 12, 2024 3:48 PM

R67, you're right - my miss. I do like your correction to giant naked mole rat. 🫡

by Anonymousreply 73February 12, 2024 9:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!