Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MIA: Jamie Dornan’s Hollywood Career

Mr, Dornan, now in his early forties, has zero acting projects lined up. Is he past his prime as an object of screen lust? ‘Belfast’ was a sign that he was focusing more towards prestige films, but he received no acting accolades for his work on Branagh’s film. ‘Wild Mountain Thyme’ and ‘Marge and Barb’ were critical and box office duds.

Other than the last forgettable Branagh Agatha Christie adaptation, Dornan has nothing lined up for work. Now that he’s in his forties, is he on the pretty boy “past their sell date with no real talent” list along with Chris Evans, Jake Gyllenhaal, Orlando Bloom, and Chris Hemsworth?

by Anonymousreply 25January 30, 2024 1:30 PM

Don't you mean Mamie Van Doren?

by Anonymousreply 1January 28, 2024 9:53 PM

He has the second season of The Tourist coming up, which was canceled on Max but apparently will premiere elsewhere.

Everyone I know who saw Barb & Star really liked it, and was surprised by how funny Dornan is in it.

by Anonymousreply 2January 28, 2024 9:57 PM

Me too, R2. I think he's a decent actor and handsome... he's got years of parts ahead.

by Anonymousreply 3January 28, 2024 9:59 PM

Well he's welcome to sit on my face if the Hollywood thing doesn't turn out. Or if it does.

by Anonymousreply 4January 28, 2024 9:59 PM

Then again, r4, your face seats five.

by Anonymousreply 5January 28, 2024 10:01 PM

Barb & Star is a cult classic - it just had the misfortune of coming out at the height of the pandemic. It's beloved by lots of people and he is very very funny in it. He should definitely do more comedy. He should also fuck me raw

by Anonymousreply 6January 28, 2024 10:03 PM

OP, I think Dornan is a better actor than the others you mention. Plus he has a wide range, everything from drama ("Belfast") to comedy ("Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar") to playing a chilling, sociopathic serial killer ("The Fall"). But you ask a really good question and I don't know why he doesn't have more projects lined up. And I, too, thought he was quite funny in "Barb and Star..." and wish he might do more comedy in the future.

by Anonymousreply 7January 28, 2024 10:04 PM

Chris Hemsworth has the highly anticipated Mad Max: Fury Road prequel, Furiosa coming out soon.

by Anonymousreply 8January 28, 2024 10:10 PM

50 Shades of Failure

by Anonymousreply 9January 28, 2024 10:11 PM

How many prequels does Mad Max require?

by Anonymousreply 10January 28, 2024 10:12 PM

I like Jamie, decent enough actor and does not take himself too seriously

by Anonymousreply 11January 28, 2024 10:18 PM

As long as he keep hitting the gym, he's got several more years of pretty in front of him.

Freddie Stroma is the poor man's Jamie Dornan. However, Dornan could never pull off Vigilante in Peacemaker.

by Anonymousreply 12January 28, 2024 10:25 PM

*faints*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 28, 2024 10:29 PM

Unfortunately I don’t think he is offered a lot of great parts. But I agree he is better than Chris Evans, etc.

He’ll always be a gay icon for those great nudes where he looks like rough trade. Hubba hubba

by Anonymousreply 14January 28, 2024 10:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 28, 2024 10:38 PM

I'm so grateful that he took these pics when he did...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 28, 2024 10:44 PM

[quote] ‘Wild Mountain Thyme’ and ‘Marge and Barb’ were critical and box office duds.

What the hell is "Marge and Barb"??

by Anonymousreply 17January 28, 2024 10:47 PM

He is still hot. He will have a career, given his wealth i suppose he is not panicking. He is a curiously educated but uninteresting actor though.

by Anonymousreply 18January 28, 2024 10:51 PM

very Pink Narcissus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 28, 2024 10:51 PM

Wild Mountain Thyme is up there with the worst films ever made.

by Anonymousreply 20January 28, 2024 10:58 PM

[quote]What the hell is "Marge and Barb"??

A new project with Streisand and Marge Simpson.

by Anonymousreply 21January 28, 2024 11:25 PM

Like many models who transition into acting careers, he's not very interesting. I don't even particularly mean that as an insult: he seems like a nice, grounded guy. Unfortunately *truly* well-adjusted, normal people don't really read as anything onscreen. They're utterly forgettable. Even the people you're used to seeing who play the 'Joe and Jane Next Door' types onscreen are probably quite quirky in real life. Dornan is not. He's not funny (although he has a sense of humor) or neurotic or cerebral, has zero narcissistic tendencies, no uniquely deep reserves of sensitivity, etc.

He's just a normal guy.... who won the genetic lottery and leveraged it to build a resume in Hollywood. But he doesn't belong there. He said in an interview recently that if he hadn't had his modeling break, he'd be selling real estate in Belfast somewhere. And you can kind of see it, right? It's a bad sign when you're watching "50 Shades of Grey" and the lead actor kind of reminds you of your Uber Eats guy.

by Anonymousreply 22January 29, 2024 12:37 AM

He had “youthful” good looks. His hair is already showing signs of receding (curse of the Irish). His good looks had broad appeal at one point in his career, and he was able to be self-deprecating about it in the awful Kristen Wiig movie, but I don’t think he’s talented enough to get parts, in his forties, that rely more on his acting ability. Chris Evans is another one. He’s too one-note (and not classically handsome - very frat boy next door appeal that doesn’t age well).

by Anonymousreply 23January 29, 2024 1:40 AM

Is he related to nut job Bob?

by Anonymousreply 24January 29, 2024 3:18 AM

He's doing just fine. Read past the attention seeking headline for where he is currently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 30, 2024 1:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!