Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joy Behar appalled at thought of letting voters decide the presidency

“The View” co-host Sara Haines visibly angered co-host Joy Behar on Tuesday by claiming that former President Donald Trump will likely be restored to the ballot in Colorado and Maine.

Haines predicted that the Supreme Court will unanimously rule in Trump’s favor by striking down the decisions to remove him from the states’ primary ballots.

“The point I would say here is that I actually agree with [California] Gov. Gavin Newsom and [political strategist] David Axelrod — these are Democrats, leading Democrats, — that say this would really cause a division that’s almost insurmountable and as someone that believes January 6th was that bad —”

“So what are you saying?” Behar interjected.

“Just one second … One, I don’t think the Supreme Court’s gonna hold this. I think they’re gonna overturn it and it won’t just be the originalists,” Haines said. “I bet it’s a 9-0 vote. I actually don’t think they will hold this.”

“So do you think they should leave it to the voters or not?” a visibly exasperated Behar interrupted.

“I think they should leave it to the voters,” Haines said.

“Oh no,” Behar responded.

Haines argued if the court upholds the states’ decisions, Trump will become more of a martyr in the eyes of his voters. She said that many Americans no longer “believe in democracy” and that voters will see the 2024 election as “rigged” if Trump is taken off the ballot.

“No, I don’t agree,” Behar shot back. “I think that the law will stand and people should follow the law. Listen, if you’re not gonna follow an amendment, then why don’t we have Taylor Swift run for president?”

-----------------

I don't think Joy knows Stephanopoulos agrees with Haines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 5, 2024 6:36 PM

70 million Americans are certified idiots: they voted for a pathological liar, a con artist/grifter, a convicted thief, a narcissistic moron. Said moron instigated and led and armed insurrection against the United States Constitution simply because his massive ego won't allow him to admit he was defeated. Furthermore, these 70 million idiots think Donald J. Trump is the second coming of Jesus Christ.

So no, 70 million American voters must NOT be allowed to decide if Donald Trump should be president of the United States. Don't like it, don't vote for certifiable egomaniacal morons when they run for office.

by Anonymousreply 1January 4, 2024 8:52 PM

It's also in the Constitution that you have to be a natural born citizen and over 35 to run for President. It doesn't always matter what the voters think, some things are in the Constitution. For example, the Constitution says you can't be President if you've engaged in insurrection. If we're gonna allow Trump then it's not clear what the point of that amendment is or when it would ever actually possibly be enforced.

by Anonymousreply 2January 4, 2024 8:55 PM

Team Joy.

by Anonymousreply 3January 4, 2024 8:55 PM

Her point was the constitution says an insurrectionist is disqualified for running for public office. An election shouldn't determine if he can be president any more than a foreign born person can run for president.

by Anonymousreply 4January 4, 2024 9:25 PM

[quote] An election shouldn't determine if he can be president any more than a foreign born person can run for president.

The requirement is that they be a natural-born citizen. Should a state be allowed to declare that a candidate not to their liking is not a natural-born citizen and then use that to bar them from the ballot, or is that a status that only the federal government can determine?

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2024 9:36 PM

She's not a lawyer and doesn't provide any constitutional basis for her contention. Has she even read Trump's filing? Apparently, it is incredibly weak and poorly constructed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2024 9:41 PM

OP, Trump tried to use the courts to overturn the election

Fuck off

by Anonymousreply 7January 4, 2024 9:43 PM

[quote] It's also in the Constitution that you have to be a natural born citizen and over 35 to run for President. It doesn't always matter what the voters think, some things are in the Constitution.

The requirements for being President of the United States apply uniformly in all states. One state cannot declare a candidate is over the age of 35 and another say he is not. He’s 35 in all the states or he’s not in all the states. Similarly, we will find that two states cannot declare that a candidate engaged in insurrection when the other 48 do not. It’s all or nothing.

by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2024 9:45 PM

Boris has invaded the DL more than usual lately and will continue to spew shit like this until the election. Don’t fall for it and certainly don’t feed it. Let them eat borscht.

by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2024 10:15 PM

[quote]Her point was the constitution says an insurrectionist is disqualified for running for public office.

Look, I don’t ever want that clown to be the president again, but the section you are referring to says that such persons may not hold office. It doesn’t say they cannot run for office. I realize this seems like splitting hairs, but it also says that the provision they cannot hold office can be overturned by 2/3 of both the House and the Senate. Since the House and Senate can’t override section 3 of the 14th amendment and appoint a president who wasn’t elected or wasn’t on the ballot, it seems pretty clear from that addition, that if he is unable to run, then congress is unable to “remove such disability” (i.e. override the disqualification). So what would the point of including that provision be?

Personally, I don’t want him removed because Texas is already threatening to remove Biden from the ballot and others are right, it will make right wingers think that he is a martyr and that all elections are rigged.

He’s never gong to win the electors in Colorado or Maine anyway. I don’t want to risk Republicans disqualifying democratic candidates who haven’t committed the crimes that Trump has or make him a martyr and his followers more likely to think elections in the US are rigged, despite the fact that they aren’t.

He needs to stay on the ballot. The alternative is more dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2024 10:52 PM

Well, since we're ignoring the constitution, I wonder if Obama would be willing to jump in and run this year.

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2024 11:02 PM

^ Yeah, let's get Obama back. The constitution says that a president can only serve two terms, but it doesn't specifically say that Obama can only serve two terms... Let the voters decide 😏

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2024 11:10 PM

I wouldn't take legal advice from these hens on the View.

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2024 11:16 PM

The former,POTUS did not want voters to decide what candidate won

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2024 11:16 PM

^ I wouldn't take advice on how to boil water from them

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2024 11:17 PM

Just learned that "Stephie" makes $25 million a year. For what?

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2024 11:24 PM

R13 takes legal advice from Trump

by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2024 11:26 PM

R2 The word "Insurrection" has never appeared in any document since January 7th.

by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2024 11:27 PM

Unless you count the impeachment charges in Congress, r18.

by Anonymousreply 19January 4, 2024 11:36 PM

[quote] The word "Insurrection" has never appeared in any document since January 7th.

An interesting but ignored factoid. Not a single arrest or indictment Totally a media/DNC created meme.

by Anonymousreply 20January 4, 2024 11:38 PM

How about the "seditious conspiracy" charges Enrique Tarrio of the Proud Boys was found guilty of and sentenced to prison for, r20? Hmm? Could those fancy words mean insurrection? He wasn't the only one. Conspiracy, ya know.

by Anonymousreply 21January 4, 2024 11:48 PM

[quote] How about the "seditious conspiracy" charges Enrique Tarrio of the Proud Boys was found guilty of and sentenced to prison for, [R20]?

If Colorado doesn’t proactively bar Tarrio from their ballot also, it doesn’t speak well of their motivation, does it?

by Anonymousreply 22January 4, 2024 11:56 PM

Good lord, r22. Don't be so forwardly and proudly stupid. Or at least reread the thread and try to figure out who/what I was answering.

by Anonymousreply 23January 5, 2024 12:02 AM

Cunts. The 14th Amendment was designed precisely for someone like Trump.

It is NOT up to the US voters to vote for someone who STILL is instigating insurrection. Just like they're not allowed to vote for toddlers, native-born Hottentots or dead people.

by Anonymousreply 24January 5, 2024 12:22 AM

OP, The United States is a constitutional federal republic. The 14th amendment states it clearly in section 3: The lying, failing, vile Orange Tub of Shit tried to overthrow the government of the United States. People DO NOT have the right to vote in a presidential for anyone they want: You need to be at least 35, born in the United states and HAVE NOT COMMITTED AN ACT OF INSURRECTION against the USA. That is not up for a vote.

Fourteenth Amendment, Section 3:​

"No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability."

by Anonymousreply 25January 5, 2024 12:24 AM

[Quote] I wouldn't take legal advice from these hens on the View.

The Supreme Court isn’t any better. Partisan hacks.

by Anonymousreply 26January 5, 2024 12:34 AM

OP is the usual MAGA troll.

by Anonymousreply 27January 5, 2024 12:39 AM

OP is the kind of Troll who made Joy apologize to Christians when she said that people who talk to God are sane, but people like VP Pence, who claims that God talks to HIM, are FUCKING CRAZY. Joy was right before she was forced to apologize and she is just as right here.

by Anonymousreply 28January 5, 2024 12:51 AM

Doesn't matter, insurrection in this matter is civil, not criminal and since there's no criminal consequence like jail judges can disqualify Trump at their discretion. No one is taking anything away from Trump, they're just saying he's not eligible to be president

by Anonymousreply 29January 5, 2024 1:12 AM

R17 eats old people's excrement!

by Anonymousreply 30January 5, 2024 5:11 AM

[quote]Joy Behar appalled at thought of letting voters decide the presidency

[quote]Joy Behar appalled at thought of not following law designed to protect our democracy from further insurrection

Fixed it for ya!

by Anonymousreply 31January 5, 2024 5:47 PM

So on datalounge Stephanopoulos gets a free pass for supporting "insurrection". White male privilege ?

by Anonymousreply 32January 5, 2024 6:31 PM

Isn’t she dead yet? Why can’t she be dead ?

by Anonymousreply 33January 5, 2024 6:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!