Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hun culture is the only good thing happening in the post-Brexit hellscape in the UK

"Hun culture" (hun or hon), originating from the term of endearment honey, celebrates "naff" and deifies soap actors, reality TV icons and female pop stars. The culture mixes nostalgia, camp humour and irony-laced national pride. The Guardian wrote: "If American social media influencers are preened, puckered and always on sponsored holidays, huns are sloppy, sarcastic and off on their "holibobs"." The culture has encouraged the creation of social media accounts such as Loveofhuns, Huns and Giggles, and Hunsnet (a word play of Mumsnet), celebrating "huns".[4][5][6][7] Comedian Jack Rooke made references to several "huns" in his Channel 4 sitcom Big Boys, including television presenter Alison Hammond, Big Brother 6 housemate Makosi Musambasi, and The X Factor contestant Gamu. Rooke said: "I support hun culture because it's like, no, we’re going to celebrate these women that 15 years ago would just be constantly slagged off in the press."

Television presenter and actress Denise Welch, who has been referred to as a hun, said "I think if you're older and a survivor and still remaining relevant in whatever way, that makes you a hun." The Hundamental Guide to Life: Learn to Live, Love & Laugh Like a True Hun, a book based on hun culture written by Gareth Howells, was released in August 2022.[4][8] Media personality and businesswoman Gemma Collins, who rose to fame on The Only Way Is Essex in 2011 and has subsequently maintained a media career, is considered a staple of "hun culture" and has been idolised for her popular catchphrases, diva behaviour and non conforming attitude. As a result, Collins became the subject of numerous internet memes and was branded a "queen".[9] Steps singer Lisa Scott-Lee is often referenced in hun culture, most frequently for a moment in her television series Totally Scott Lee where she discovered her single, Get It On had peaked at number 23 in the UK Singles Charts, with Scott-Lee saying she was "B List at Capital" (referring to the station's playlist). The X Factor "rejects", applicants who failed to pass the first audition, such as Rachel Lester, Holly Jervis, Kelly Peakman, Dawn the Jockey, Debbie Stevens and girl group Ablisa are regularly referenced in "hun culture".

Another example popular within the culture is Nadine Coyle lying about her age on the Irish version of Popstars, and then misplacing her passport when confronted.[8] "Hun culture" is often referenced on the BBC Three series RuPaul's Drag Race UK, an example being In the second series of the show, where during the episode "The RuRuvision Song Contest", the song which the contestants had to create a verse for was titled "UK Hun?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 21, 2024 6:55 AM

Visual explanation here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 28, 2023 10:14 AM

I still don't get what it means, OP. Are you saying people are just appreciating 'huns' now because the world is so stressful? Can you think of any Americans who you'd consider 'huns?' Is it a good thing? Is Dolly Parton one?

by Anonymousreply 2December 28, 2023 10:51 AM

Read the wiki article, lazyweb.

by Anonymousreply 3December 28, 2023 11:00 AM

r3 Meh I already lost interest

by Anonymousreply 4December 28, 2023 11:06 AM

More Kylie Prosecco for me then, dallyn.

by Anonymousreply 5December 28, 2023 11:30 AM

The Guardian wrote: "If American social media influencers are preened, puckered and always on sponsored holidays, huns are sloppy, sarcastic and off on their "holibobs".".

The Guardian also wrote: "If American 'bathrooms' are valued for their cleanliness, swank fittings and marble tiled spa-showers, the British toilet is a refreshingly honest cabinet of foul odors, leaky plumbing and a piss-stained fluffy seat."

by Anonymousreply 6December 28, 2023 12:03 PM

A “Piss-stained fluffy seat” is a perfect metaphor for what’s left of the post-Brexit UK.

by Anonymousreply 7December 28, 2023 12:20 PM

[quote] Big Brother 6 housemate Makosi Musambasi

Ah, Makosi. The baby she and Anthony conceived via immaculate conception must be a teenager now. Time flies.

by Anonymousreply 8December 28, 2023 12:21 PM

I’m so confused right now

by Anonymousreply 9December 28, 2023 12:27 PM

so it's just celebrating being a basic bitch basically?

by Anonymousreply 10December 28, 2023 12:45 PM

Is this like furries?

by Anonymousreply 11December 28, 2023 12:46 PM

Huns? The Germans?

by Anonymousreply 12December 28, 2023 1:43 PM

Hun culture has nothing to do with Baltimore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 28, 2023 1:48 PM

Is like what we consider white trash in America?

by Anonymousreply 14December 28, 2023 1:53 PM

Trashy, but not trash. More tawdry/garish.

by Anonymousreply 15December 28, 2023 2:15 PM

The Queen should have put her foot down and stopped Brexit.

by Anonymousreply 16December 28, 2023 2:27 PM

[quote] Comedian Jack Rooke made references to several "huns" in his Channel 4 sitcom Big Boys, including television presenter Alison Hammond, Big Brother 6 housemate Makosi Musambasi, and The X Factor contestant Gamu. Rooke said: "I support hun culture because it's like, no, we’re going to celebrate these women that 15 years ago would just be constantly slagged off in the press."[4]

Another gay man fetishising black women! Groundbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 17December 28, 2023 2:29 PM

They absolutely worship Attila.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 28, 2023 2:40 PM

Telling a primarily American audience that “Hun” culture celebrates “naff” is less informative than one might imagine.

by Anonymousreply 19December 28, 2023 2:54 PM

Also not terribly enlightening:

[quote] I think if you're older and a survivor and still remaining relevant in whatever way, that makes you a hun.

by Anonymousreply 20December 28, 2023 2:56 PM

Finally, a list of minor English “celebrities” offered as exemplars of Hun culture means absolutely nothing to people who don’t know who they are.

by Anonymousreply 21December 28, 2023 2:58 PM

From what I can glean, it’s a celebration of the bad taste of the poors? Is that it?

by Anonymousreply 22December 28, 2023 3:01 PM

It sounds disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 23December 28, 2023 3:01 PM

Someone needs to tell The Guardian that American influencers are not off on any kind of holidays. American go on vacations if they work. Otherwise, we just travel.

by Anonymousreply 24December 28, 2023 3:06 PM

I'm British and live in the UK and I have no idea what it's supposed to mean. I have an idea who most of them are - they're the kind of people you'd see in crap weekly magazines found in supermarkets.

This isn't some kind of huge trend or culture at all. It's like a mix of frau and basic gay, which isn't new at all.

by Anonymousreply 25December 28, 2023 3:09 PM

r24 Drunk posting is fun

by Anonymousreply 26December 28, 2023 3:10 PM

[quote] Hun culture has nothing to do with Baltimore.

Completely untrue, of course — that’s where hon culture originated. It’s been a thing in America forever, best summed up by “balmore” hons.

So it’s very funny that, as usual, the British find it necessary to patiently explain to the clueless Americans something they appropriated from us.

by Anonymousreply 27December 28, 2023 3:13 PM

If the British economy is bad because of Brexit maybe migrants will stop coming/leave and Britain can get back some of it’s culture. Housing will open up for young Brits who’d been priced out before and they might even start having kids and doing the ‘family’ thing again, bolstering the economy.

Globalists are sociopaths trying the turn the world into a giant slave ship controlled by the biggest banks and corporations.

by Anonymousreply 28December 28, 2023 3:36 PM

R25, it makes a mockery of the class system and UK media culture (among other UK cultures, like yummy mummies) while not being misogynistic, which is why I love it. They're in on the joke. It's also an escape from Oxbridge-driven everything. I could see certain demographic segments having a hard time getting it.

by Anonymousreply 29December 28, 2023 3:43 PM

R28 = Jane McDonald

by Anonymousreply 30December 28, 2023 3:44 PM

Is this like gypsies or travelers?

by Anonymousreply 31December 28, 2023 4:03 PM

Oh—it makes a mockery of Yummy Mummy culture ! Now I understand.

by Anonymousreply 32December 28, 2023 4:54 PM

As usual, Monty Python was ahead of the curve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 28, 2023 5:17 PM

Hun means something entirely different in at least one part of the UK.

by Anonymousreply 34December 28, 2023 5:27 PM

Aren't they known as slags?

by Anonymousreply 35December 28, 2023 5:29 PM

R35 no, you can be a slag and a hun but you don’t have to be a slag to be a hun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 28, 2023 5:33 PM

So basically, it’s like a celebration of my uneducated ex sister-in-law and her Facebook-forward, alcohol-lubricated, suburban live? You know, with little signs that say “Family” and photos of herself and her kids on every wall?

Pass.

by Anonymousreply 37December 28, 2023 5:35 PM

They forgot the part about hisssssing

by Anonymousreply 38December 28, 2023 5:37 PM

r28 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 39December 28, 2023 5:40 PM

R36, are these the women who address people as 'luv'?

by Anonymousreply 40December 28, 2023 5:40 PM

Pssst! There are no “globalists.”

by Anonymousreply 41December 28, 2023 5:43 PM

It seems completely undesirable. Is there an amusing or aspirational element I’m missing? The qualifications are female, flashy/tacky and NOT talented or having your shit together?

Maybe Amanda Holden and Victoria Beckham have their shit together. So would a Kardashian or Lauren Sanchez qualify?

by Anonymousreply 42December 28, 2023 5:47 PM

Remember, the Brits have a big drinking problem and it manifests in many bizarre ways.

by Anonymousreply 43December 28, 2023 5:47 PM

r41 is a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 44December 28, 2023 5:50 PM

It's a variation on camp.

by Anonymousreply 45December 28, 2023 5:51 PM

This is the most brainless thing imaginable.

by Anonymousreply 46December 28, 2023 5:53 PM

r46 Were you around when Donald J Trump was elected president?

by Anonymousreply 47December 28, 2023 6:01 PM

If you like Kylie, you like huns.

by Anonymousreply 48December 28, 2023 6:02 PM

Yes r47 we were all around when Trump was elected president.

Guess what?

NOT EVERYFUCKING THING IS ABOUT DONALD FUCKING TRUMP.

THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT WHITE TRASH IN ENGLAND. DONALD FUCKING TRUMP HAS FUCK ALL TO DO WITH THE TOPIC.

by Anonymousreply 49December 28, 2023 6:06 PM

OmG—r44 is right! I just checked under my bed and there’s a globalist living there!

by Anonymousreply 50December 28, 2023 6:07 PM

r50 just kill yourself.

by Anonymousreply 51December 28, 2023 6:08 PM

I’m sure the globalists will take care of that for you. I must be on their hit list now.

by Anonymousreply 52December 28, 2023 6:10 PM

r52 is woefully ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 53December 28, 2023 6:11 PM

I have no idea what I just read, OP. So many names that mean nothing to me.

by Anonymousreply 54December 28, 2023 6:21 PM

Sounds like a celebration of general downward mobility. If you can't do anything about it, might as well flaunt it and pretend it's something you really want and something that makes you desirable.

by Anonymousreply 55December 28, 2023 8:31 PM

Is Britain going to come crawling back to the EU? Cause the EU doesn’t go for Hun Culture.

by Anonymousreply 56December 28, 2023 8:34 PM

[quote]Is Britain going to come crawling back to the EU? Cause the EU doesn’t go for Hun Culture.

The EU has its enough problems with Orban and Hungary to worry about the UK.

by Anonymousreply 57December 28, 2023 8:49 PM

🤣🤣🤣 @ how out of touch and provincial you all are.

by Anonymousreply 58December 28, 2023 8:53 PM

[quote]I'm British and live in the UK and I have no idea what it's supposed to mean. I have an idea who most of them are - they're the kind of people you'd see in crap weekly magazines found in supermarkets. This isn't some kind of huge trend or culture at all. It's like a mix of frau and basic gay, which isn't new at all.

Some of the inclusions are camp and some niche but some are just ridiculous.

A few people who were arseholes on Celebrity Big Brother? Whoo hoo.

"Hun culture has become a safe space for me as a Black woman".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 28, 2023 9:02 PM

I hope the Huns aren’t a threat to the Stokie Ducks.

by Anonymousreply 60December 28, 2023 9:05 PM

Is it the same as the “Hons Cupboard” in Nancy Mitford’s “ The Pursuit of Love” and “Love in a Cold Climate?”

by Anonymousreply 61December 28, 2023 9:09 PM

Sent you a PM, HON!

by Anonymousreply 62December 28, 2023 9:36 PM

Hun means something else to many on the internet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 21, 2024 3:24 PM

The US is missing out on Our Diane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 27, 2024 9:35 AM

Still don't understand what that term means. I'm watching the show at r64 and Diane has exactly zero in common with the likes of Alison Hammond, Makosi, or Gemu. Apparently, every frau that appears on TV is now a "hun".

by Anonymousreply 65January 27, 2024 9:41 AM

Actually liking/enjoying women might be key to understanding this rather fluid concept. It's certainly not sober and serious, either.

by Anonymousreply 66January 27, 2024 9:49 AM

I believe the Judds - especially Naomi, would qualify as a hun.

“I been chased by a UFO!”

by Anonymousreply 67January 27, 2024 9:49 AM

[quote]Still don't understand what that term means. I'm watching the show at [R64] and Diane has exactly zero in common with the likes of Alison Hammond, Makosi, or Gemu. Apparently, every frau that appears on TV is now a "hun".

GAY ICON!

Expecting Phil Foden's moither to be inducted into the Hun Culture Hall Of Fame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 27, 2024 10:05 AM

And so the down classes venture ever further downward.

by Anonymousreply 69January 27, 2024 11:10 AM

Toffs are boring Brexit liars.

by Anonymousreply 70January 27, 2024 11:12 AM

Heywood Garden Center has been identified by Hunsnet as Americ-huns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 17, 2024 8:20 AM

The UK is retarded.

by Anonymousreply 72March 17, 2024 8:25 AM

I’m sorry, that’s Haymore Garden Center. I classed that up a bit too much.

by Anonymousreply 73March 17, 2024 8:27 AM

Get outta my pub.

by Anonymousreply 74March 17, 2024 9:00 AM

I just love this thread. I'm laughing my head off. Not literally though. More trans Atlantic misunderstanding please!

by Anonymousreply 75March 17, 2024 1:31 PM

No one cares about your quaint obsolete fiefdom populated by fugly servile snobs hon.

by Anonymousreply 76March 17, 2024 2:39 PM

I think I'm going to earmark this thread so I can return to it the next time I get my hands on some shrooms. I sense that may be the missing link.

by Anonymousreply 77March 17, 2024 4:30 PM

I kinda get lots of names on the list, like our Deirdre & Gail, or Peggy & Sharon for EastEnders. They represent decent, tough, sometimes camp. You can associate them with growing up.

I disagree with some inclusions such as Victoria Beckham, Cheryl etc, but whatever

by Anonymousreply 78March 17, 2024 5:01 PM

Sharon & Peggy in one of their fights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 17, 2024 5:02 PM

Deidre and Gail do battle in Corrie, complete with a cream pie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 17, 2024 5:08 PM

Deirdre, Eileen, and Liz have a girls night out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 17, 2024 5:11 PM

Sooo are Chavs Huns too?

by Anonymousreply 82March 17, 2024 5:28 PM

Chavs is kind of an aughties term. It stands for council house and violent, and there was a big thing about anti-social behaviour and the like back then. It's less frequently referred to these days.

by Anonymousreply 83March 17, 2024 6:33 PM

Huns are maybe the kind of people/characters little gays enjoyed as they were growing up. Flawed, but still cool

by Anonymousreply 84March 17, 2024 6:40 PM

White Dee ain’t no hun

by Anonymousreply 85March 17, 2024 7:05 PM

Hyacinth Bucket’s sister Rose was a hun.

by Anonymousreply 86March 17, 2024 8:00 PM

EastEnders Natalie Cassidy: 'I'm very proud to be a hun'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 21, 2024 5:27 AM

This is not the definition of hun I use in my everyday life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 21, 2024 6:13 AM

The UK and EU cultures don't lend well to MLM schemes. I'm sure it's regulated to hell, but culturally that kind of interaction is largely seen as revolting. And they won't be shy with people of they try that shit.

by Anonymousreply 89March 21, 2024 6:17 AM

The Hsiung-nu would wipe out all these "huns" in an afternoon

by Anonymousreply 90March 21, 2024 6:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!