Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #546: The "Sara Porkalob in MONAURAL" Edition

Carry on :-)

by Anonymousreply 600December 30, 2023 12:46 AM

Still trying to start this new thread.....

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2023 4:56 AM

Michael Blakemore RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2023 6:22 AM

His Long Day's production with Larry, Constance Cummings, Ronald Pickup and Denis Quilley was brilliant, brilliant, brilliant with Larry minding the Tyrone role for comedy, making him more than the one dimensional dour, sourpuss, complainer he is on paper.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2023 6:46 AM

mining, not minding. Typo

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2023 6:48 AM

Don't be so hard on yourself Ralphie....you had moments.....but nothing like what Larry created. While the video of the production, preserves at least a record of his performance, it pales in comparison to the stage mounting. All the actors were sublime. First time I got hipped to Denis Quilley. Totally unknown here, a treasure in the UK

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2023 6:53 AM

Did this thread title kill him, R2?

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2023 6:54 AM

To answer the poster in the last thread:

Margaret = Maggie = Meg = Peg = Peggy

Though I can't remember why it was being asked.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2023 12:50 PM

I thought for sure Gussie would be mentioned in the new title.

Maybe the "Gussie wants to be Mary" Edition?

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2023 12:51 PM

Quilley was the first Sweeney Todd in London.

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2023 12:53 PM

[quote]Let's get back to Sondheim, shall we?

We left him?

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2023 1:00 PM

Is it time to get back to Follies? I was reading a book on Hal Prince and it had this amusing story about Yvonne DeCarlo:

Dorothy Collins remembers that "Yvonne did things the character would do. It was appropriate - in character - that she often forgot or got mixed up on the lyrics of the song, and one night, when she didn't feel like doing the Who's That Woman? number she just sat on the edge of the stage - again, exactly in character."

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2023 2:32 PM

Lots of footage of Quilley as Sweeney. Wished I’d seen him. Seems Greek-tragedy forceful. Still surprised it flopped originally. Has anyone ever found original London reviews online. I haven’t been able to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2023 3:25 PM

R8. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio’s much less talented younger sister is named Gussie, so your “Gussie wants to be Mary” lyric is more on the nose than you could have known.

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2023 3:31 PM

R13 Does Augusta Mastrantonio have a middle name?

by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2023 4:11 PM

What is the word on Matt Doyle‘s show about Frank Sinatra that has been playing in the West End?

He performed in Fort Lauderdale this week and mentioned the show which I’d never heard about before. Tina Sinatra is involved because he said she let the cat out of the bag sooner than she should have that he’d gotten the part.

He finished his show with That’s Life” which he delivered in character as FS. It was fine.

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2023 4:14 PM

Did he lead a class in aerobics for the encore?

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2023 4:45 PM

R14. Probably but who cares? MEM uses her middle name because her mother’s name was also Mary.

by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2023 4:54 PM

Plus it's much more euphonious than Mary Mastrantonio.

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2023 5:05 PM

New footage of Evita at Curve. No set, a rolling staircase, zippity doo dah lights, and contemporary clothes. What a concept!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2023 5:21 PM

Would Mary Tyler Moore have been as beloved and revered had she called herself merely May Moore?

by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2023 6:01 PM

r15 The only thing I know is it's opening in the West End in the autumn of 2024

by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2023 6:39 PM

Cynthia Erivo on To Tell the Truth!! She’s a giant star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2023 6:58 PM

So what is everyone’s theatre reviews lately? Any shows worth seeing?

by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2023 7:52 PM

Max Clayton’s narcissism here. Ask ME anything!

by Anonymousreply 24December 16, 2023 8:04 PM

There was probably another Mary Moore in SAG or AFTRA, r20.

by Anonymousreply 25December 16, 2023 8:08 PM

R23 I liked Appropriate a lot. Great cast and a bit of an August Osage County vibe.

by Anonymousreply 26December 16, 2023 8:08 PM

For a season packed with shows coming in none of them seem all that interesting. Any sleeper hits maybe ? Is The Notebook going to work?

by Anonymousreply 27December 16, 2023 8:15 PM

I got an invitation to a staged reading of this new musical ... about a Civil War soldier who turned out to be a woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 16, 2023 8:18 PM

r27 - as far as upcoming shows, I think Cabaret will be a big hit in NY -- even after Redmayne departs.

by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2023 8:36 PM

R28. How inventive

by Anonymousreply 30December 16, 2023 8:53 PM

[quote]I got an invitation to a staged reading of this new musical ... about a Civil War soldier who turned out to be a woman.

It's the white version of Mulan.

by Anonymousreply 31December 16, 2023 8:55 PM

I can’t remember, have they announced Redmayne’s Sally? I can’t remember. Is she an actress who can sing or a singer who can act?

by Anonymousreply 32December 16, 2023 9:36 PM

r32 Gayle Rankin

by Anonymousreply 33December 16, 2023 9:38 PM

"Gayle Rankin" is *not* a Star name.

by Anonymousreply 34December 16, 2023 10:11 PM

CABARET may be a tough sell given what's happening in the world right now. Not sure people will pay $200 to be reminded about Antisemitism, and didn't that last revival just close?

by Anonymousreply 35December 16, 2023 10:59 PM

Cabaret is the only one friends have asked me about. Or it’s the only one they’ve heard of so far

by Anonymousreply 36December 16, 2023 11:11 PM

Cabaret is the new Cats. Now and forever it seems…

by Anonymousreply 37December 16, 2023 11:22 PM

I saw a casting notice for DEAR ENGLAND on Broadway. I loved this play when I saw it at the National. I did grow up in a soccer household but I think even people who know nothing about it will like it. Such a contrast to all these dreary, nihilistic plays writers are churning out these days.

by Anonymousreply 38December 17, 2023 12:03 AM

Any buzz on Hell's Kitchen at the Public?

by Anonymousreply 39December 17, 2023 12:14 AM

[quote]I think Cabaret will be a big hit in NY -- even after Redmayne departs.

I hope not. Enough is enough

[quote]Any buzz on Hell's Kitchen at the Public?

Well, all the reviews are out, and you're free to read them. I have no idea how well or poorly the show is doing in terms of word-of-mouth, or if people don't care about word-of-mouth in this case and will buy tix just because it's an Alicia Keys musical.

by Anonymousreply 40December 17, 2023 1:02 AM

Reviews seemed to be it needs work. Director Michael Greif also has Wine & Roses and The Notebook this spring. You do the math

by Anonymousreply 41December 17, 2023 1:12 AM

Wherever Michael Greif's talents lie, he has never been known as the kind of director who can identify what's wrong with a show structurally or textually and help fix it.

by Anonymousreply 42December 17, 2023 1:18 AM

I thought he did that with next to normal

by Anonymousreply 43December 17, 2023 1:47 AM

What’s also interesting is by the time Cabaret opens in the spring, Trump will officially be the Republican nominee for President.

Farewell to Berlin, indeed!

by Anonymousreply 44December 17, 2023 1:49 AM

We just paid $70 to stream The Vineyard's SCENE PARTNERS with Dianne Wiest tonight. It was supposed to begin at 7:30 and we watched a roomful of middle aged audience and elderly members wait with us for the play to begin until there was an announcement at 7:50 that one of the actors had suddenly not been able to appear and her role would be taken by another actor in the play with script in hand. Finally, at 8:10 the play began.

Well, we lasted about 45 minutes. What utterly incomprehensible and unfunny tripe! Impossible to imagine a theater reading that script and thinking - "Yes! We want to produce this." Or thinking poor Dianne Wiest saw anything in this character she'd want to play (and for so little money). Why is she not being offered better work after her long impressive stage and screen resume and 2 Oscars?

I just don't get it. This is the best that theater can find to put on their stage? Has anyone else seen the play? Did it finally redeem itself by the end?

by Anonymousreply 45December 17, 2023 2:02 AM

I was listening to the new DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES recording and pondering the fact that neither Kelli nor Audra has starred in a hit new musical, instead making their (considerable) reputations in revivals. Are Patti and Bernie the last of an era?

by Anonymousreply 46December 17, 2023 2:26 AM

The big hit original musicals on Broadway no longer feature stars, though they sometimes create them.

At least since Wicked. Am I wrong? Am I forgetting something?

by Anonymousreply 47December 17, 2023 2:42 AM

R45: I saw it. No, it did not redeem itself. It got worse. The only mildly interesting thing about it was the clear disconnect where the writer and director thought they were doing something avant-garde, but underneath all the broken bells and rusty whistles, it was conventional to the point of cliche.

by Anonymousreply 48December 17, 2023 2:44 AM

[quote]I can’t remember, have they announced Redmayne’s Sally? I can’t remember. Is she an actress who can sing or a singer who can act?

It's going to be Billy Porter -- so you tell me which description fits.

by Anonymousreply 49December 17, 2023 3:03 AM

Speaking of "Cabaret," Jake Shears looking mighty fine these days....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 17, 2023 3:04 AM

I entered the Gutenberg lottery six times last week with no success. How many lottery tickets do they offer each week?

by Anonymousreply 51December 17, 2023 3:15 AM

I hear the Producers of Cabaret want to replace Gayle and Eddie with Alan Dershowitz and Claudine Gay

by Anonymousreply 52December 17, 2023 3:17 AM

This thread needs some Barbara Cook, to bring us a dream!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 17, 2023 3:40 AM

Thank you R45. I've been really jonesing for some NYC theater and considered buying a ticket to the livestream, but I thought the price was astronomical. Glad to hear I missed nothing. I thought Wiest had hit the nadir with "Rasheeda Speaking." Sorry to hear she still can't pick 'em.

by Anonymousreply 54December 17, 2023 3:45 AM

Sadly, the great Dianne Wiest has admitted to being almost totally broke and taking any job she can get around the time she was on In Treatment. Very sad for such a wonderful and unique performer.

by Anonymousreply 55December 17, 2023 3:57 AM

R55 I remember that story where she said she was afraid she couldn’t afford her rent.

She really needed to do a cheesy sitcom for 5 years in the early 2000s. It maybe have been dumb work but at least she’d have a little money stocked away.

by Anonymousreply 56December 17, 2023 4:10 AM

She just DID a cheesy sitcom for four years starting in 2015, so she should be just fine.

by Anonymousreply 57December 17, 2023 4:14 AM

Wow, R57 was right. I had never heard of this but the trailer alone is everything I would never want to watch… the quintessence of bad CBS sitcom garbage. Poor Dianne (and Mr. Streisand, as well).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 17, 2023 5:00 AM

Good interview with Blakemore about his early career; he's refreshingly straightforward and articulate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 17, 2023 6:22 AM

Tina Sinatra praises Matt Doyle @ 5:38.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 17, 2023 6:32 AM

But will anyone praise that brillo pad she has on her head?

by Anonymousreply 61December 17, 2023 7:15 AM

R46, Audra was in the original Broadway cast of Ragtime. They wrote "You Have Your Daddy's Hands" only after they knew they'd got her.

by Anonymousreply 62December 17, 2023 12:33 PM

Thanks, R60. You’d think a show about Frank Sinatra, if it includes his music, would be a huge success ala Jersey Boys.

by Anonymousreply 63December 17, 2023 12:45 PM

There are no theatah stars anymore... Just commoners.

by Anonymousreply 64December 17, 2023 2:14 PM

Wow! Tina Sinatra looks like SHIT!

by Anonymousreply 65December 17, 2023 3:57 PM

Girls how have you not made a bigger deal about Ben R interviewing Nancy [italic] Bajour [/italic] Dussault?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 17, 2023 4:33 PM

[quote]I thought he did that with next to normal

Although I have no idea how much if at all Greif improved that show from its earlier version, I think the final version has one or two major issues that could easily have been spotted and fixed by a director with more talent as a dramatug than Greif possesses.

by Anonymousreply 67December 17, 2023 5:23 PM

[quote]I was listening to the new DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES recording and pondering the fact that neither Kelli nor Audra has starred in a hit new musical, instead making their (considerable) reputations in revivals.

Do you not count either RAGTIME or THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, for some reason? If that's the case, can you tell us why?

by Anonymousreply 68December 17, 2023 5:26 PM

Kelli also had hits with Pajama Game and Kiss Me, Kate.

by Anonymousreply 69December 17, 2023 5:36 PM

And both Kelli and Audra have devoted much of their careers to new musicals even if those musicals were not financial hits. I don't think either one could be blamed for their respective misfires.

Btw, no one has responded to my question upthread asking for the name of a star driven new Broadway musical since WICKED that was actually a big hit. Big original hits and stars no longer seem to go together.

by Anonymousreply 70December 17, 2023 5:36 PM

Sutton has had more hits than both of them together....Speaking of Sutton and Kelli, I keep hearing their Carnegie show is going to tour. Anyone else hear this?

by Anonymousreply 71December 17, 2023 5:37 PM

Where is Sherie Rene Scott?

by Anonymousreply 72December 17, 2023 5:41 PM

She stepped out on the lanai, r72.

by Anonymousreply 73December 17, 2023 5:47 PM

[quote]Kelli also had hits with Pajama Game and Kiss Me, Kate.

But those were revivals. Pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 74December 17, 2023 5:52 PM

I suppose one could say Idina Menzel had a hit with If/Then. I don't know if it recouped, but it certainly sold well while she was in it, and then she later took it on tour.

by Anonymousreply 75December 17, 2023 6:08 PM

Idina Menzel is to If/Then

as

Ethel Merman is to Happy Hunting

by Anonymousreply 76December 17, 2023 6:23 PM

Who gives a shit if you've never seen them?

by Anonymousreply 77December 17, 2023 6:27 PM

Dear Evan Hansen, regrettably, cemented Ben Platt as a theatre star.

by Anonymousreply 78December 17, 2023 6:55 PM

And "Parade" didn't hurt, R78.

by Anonymousreply 79December 17, 2023 8:09 PM

R78 The film of Dear Evan Hansen hurt him.

by Anonymousreply 80December 17, 2023 8:14 PM

Night of the Iguana opens tonite. I didn't realize it had even started previews

by Anonymousreply 81December 17, 2023 9:08 PM

R45-I did a hard pass as soon as I saw it was written by the same hack who had his piece of shit produced at Playwrights last season, which was incomprehensible garbage. Let's hope Netflix hires him really soon.

by Anonymousreply 82December 17, 2023 10:17 PM

What's even more inconceivable about the writer of SCENE PARTNERS and the show he had produced at last season at Playwrights Horizons is he's A WHITE MAN with no talent.

What are they thinking??

by Anonymousreply 83December 17, 2023 10:46 PM

Is he non-binary? That might be what's getting him over.

by Anonymousreply 84December 17, 2023 10:48 PM

In both professional and amateur situations, are actors switching over

to pdfs on tablets...or eScripts...

as opposed to a hard paper copy.... say a Sam French edition?

by Anonymousreply 85December 17, 2023 11:03 PM

He's every non-profit's token white hack.

by Anonymousreply 86December 17, 2023 11:04 PM

R85, you can write on an iPad or tablet these days like if you were using a pen.

by Anonymousreply 87December 17, 2023 11:08 PM

Scene Partners was the worst thing I've seen since KPOP.

by Anonymousreply 88December 17, 2023 11:09 PM

[quote]Who gives a shit if you've never seen them?

You missed my point which was these shows were tepidly to poorly reviewed clunkers/star vehicles that would never have run without a particular star as the lead.

Do try to keep up!

by Anonymousreply 89December 18, 2023 1:29 AM

Remember her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 18, 2023 3:02 AM

[quote]r8 I thought for sure Gussie would be mentioned in the new title. Maybe the "Gussie wants to be Mary" Edition?

My head whipped around yesterday when “Finding Your Roots” was playing in the background. Robert Downey Jr.’s great grandmother was a Gussie!

by Anonymousreply 91December 18, 2023 3:20 AM

[quote] You missed my point which was these shows were tepidly to poorly reviewed clunkers/star vehicles that would never have run without a particular star as the lead. Do try to keep up!

No, sweetheart, you missed the point. Ther question asked was if there had been a NEW musical that was a hit SINCE WICKED that sold mainly on the strength of its star. And I said what I said. Your comment made no fucking sense. Maybe you're the one who should try to keep up. After all, you are approaching old crone status.

by Anonymousreply 92December 18, 2023 4:57 AM

The titles of our threads lately have been worse than the shows on Broadway.

First Phyllis was passed over, now Gussie.

by Anonymousreply 93December 18, 2023 5:21 AM

So tell us all what the title should have been, r93.

by Anonymousreply 94December 18, 2023 7:05 AM

Perhaps R93 didn't have anything clever to say as a thread title so he wisely refrained. Unlike our past three title thread starters (who I suspect are all the same person).

by Anonymousreply 95December 18, 2023 7:08 AM

Thank you, r95.

The only thing I’m guilty of is putting “Phyllis” instead of “Cloris.” And for that, I apologize.

by Anonymousreply 96December 18, 2023 7:19 AM

[quote]Perhaps [R93] didn't have anything clever to say as a thread title

Then maybe he shouldn't criticise OP

by Anonymousreply 97December 18, 2023 9:28 AM

Ben Platt in Parade qualifies… a brilliant performance in a breathtaking production of a very serious, adult show. I saw the second preview with the KKK out front and also later in the run again and truly one of the great productions of this century (and I saw the boring Hal Prince original too with the horrible set/staging, btw).

by Anonymousreply 98December 18, 2023 9:39 AM

The Parade revival of course does not qualify as a “star driven new Broadway musical since WICKED that was actually a big hit.”

I enjoyed the production, but missed the striking images and cinematic sweep of the Hal Prince version. The huge platform created problems with sightlines and staging that Arden couldn’t solve. And Ben Platt just doesn’t have the technical skill to pull off challenges like the imaginary guilty Leo in Come Up to my Office. But I was great to see the show get the reception it always deserved.

Speaking of which, it’s been a rough go for Hal Prince’s legacy. Phantom finally closing, but two hugely successful revivals of his unsuccessful shows.

by Anonymousreply 99December 18, 2023 10:16 AM

[quote]missed the striking images and cinematic sweep of the Hal Prince version

The exact same thing could be said about every non-Prince version of EVITA. When Prince was “on” (more often than not), he was brilliant. There’s been no one to equal him since.

by Anonymousreply 100December 18, 2023 10:36 AM

I think Prince's legacy is safe for anyone who knows anything about Broadway history.

by Anonymousreply 101December 18, 2023 12:03 PM

Hal Prince cruised me in the lobby of the Shubert Theatre in Boston in 1976 at a production of Rex.

by Anonymousreply 102December 18, 2023 12:09 PM

I remember reading one of these threads YEARS ago. It was the best thread because it had all the dish about Betty Buckley and her troubled Papermill Gypsy.

One of the posters started talking about the KC Merrily and said Skinner was the standout and someone else said, “If the highlight of a production is Gussie, then you are in trouble” and that always stuck with me.

by Anonymousreply 103December 18, 2023 1:03 PM

The success of the current Merrily is a big black mark against the legacy of Prince, who argued so strenuously for doing it the way that totally didn't work.

Merrily almost qualifies as a new, star-driven musical, in the sense that nobody's done it that way before and all of a sudden the show itself pops.

by Anonymousreply 104December 18, 2023 1:23 PM

Merrily is still fatally flawed. It's working now because of three expert performers.

by Anonymousreply 105December 18, 2023 1:35 PM

R105, It’s working now because Sondheim died.

by Anonymousreply 106December 18, 2023 1:43 PM

Has anyone seen the Gavin Creel musical about art in the Metropolitan Museum?

by Anonymousreply 107December 18, 2023 1:55 PM

If I had lived in New York for 20 years before ever stepping foot in the Met, I would keep that information to myself.

by Anonymousreply 108December 18, 2023 2:13 PM

And here you are, r108 with no show of your own.

by Anonymousreply 109December 18, 2023 2:14 PM

STOP THE PRESSES

[quote] BROADWAY NEWS EXCLUSIVE: "Exclusive: ‘My Son’s a Queer’ adds new co-producers for Broadway run" by Broadway News’ Michael Abourizk - "Several co-producers have joined the team behind the Broadway mounting of “My Son’s a Queer (But What Can You Do?).” Meena Harris & Phenomenal Media, JJ Maley and George Strus join the producing team of the solo piece written by and starring Rob Madge." https

by Anonymousreply 110December 18, 2023 2:57 PM

r92 will soon be the lead in the star vehicle "How to SHRIEK in Ohio", about a hissing, acid spitting queer, run out of NYC for they's undiagnosed BPD trying to stage an original musical with his disinterested and much younger fellow Chi Chi's staffers.

Sammi Cannold has not responded to urgent entreaties to direct.

by Anonymousreply 111December 18, 2023 3:42 PM

[quote]The success of the current Merrily is a big black mark against the legacy of Prince, who argued so strenuously for doing it the way that totally didn't work.

Prince subsequently admitted many times that he made a mistake with Merrily.

by Anonymousreply 112December 18, 2023 3:45 PM

R86 - his bio opens with "is a queer, Mexican-American playwright." Methinks that if your bio starts with your identity, you probably aren't a very good writer. Can you imagine Kushner writing a bio that says he's a gay, Jewish, Upper West Sider? How do you take someone like this seriously? And yes, that's a rhetorical question because we know the theaters are thirsty for anyone who isn't a white man right now.

by Anonymousreply 113December 18, 2023 3:46 PM

Too much Gussie!

by Anonymousreply 114December 18, 2023 4:38 PM

[quote] will soon be the lead in the star vehicle "How to SHRIEK in Ohio", about a hissing, acid spitting queer, run out of NYC for they's undiagnosed BPD trying to stage an original musical with his disinterested and much younger fellow Chi Chi's staffers.

Based on the wit of your post, I'm guessing you started the last three thread titles.

by Anonymousreply 115December 18, 2023 4:42 PM

[quote]What's even more inconceivable about the writer of SCENE PARTNERS and the show he had produced at last season at Playwrights Horizons is he's A WHITE MAN with no talent. What are they thinking??

[quote]Is he non-binary? That might be what's getting him over.

Here's the answer:

[R86] - his bio opens with "is a queer, Mexican-American playwright."

But if you're making that your main public identity, then why go by 'John J. Caswell, Jr.'?

by Anonymousreply 116December 18, 2023 5:49 PM

“I hope I don’t have a heart attack in the pit because they’ll let me die,” the musician said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117December 18, 2023 6:36 PM

Used to be the greatest backstage danger was Mandy Patinkin.

by Anonymousreply 118December 18, 2023 8:16 PM

Correct, R95, I started this thread and the last two. Now you can go walk your dog and then eat the contents of the poop bag :-)

by Anonymousreply 119December 18, 2023 8:21 PM

[quote]Prince subsequently admitted many times that he made a mistake with Merrily.

Exactly. One of the many things that made him such an extraordinary director and producer was the fact that he could admit it when he was wrong, even spectacularly so.

by Anonymousreply 120December 18, 2023 8:23 PM

[quote]Merrily is still fatally flawed. It's working now because of three expert performers.

[quote]It’s working now because Sondheim died.

I agree that those are two of the three main reasons why this production has been so well received. The third reason is that, over the decades, people have become more and more comfortable with the show's reverse-chronological structure.

by Anonymousreply 121December 18, 2023 8:27 PM

[quote]R119 Correct, I started this thread and the last two. Now you can go walk your dog and then eat the contents of the poop bag :-)

Will you listen to that?! Filth. Filth and debauchery!

It’s as if the monstrous creature’s the vile reincarnation of… Elisabeth Báthory, or someone!

by Anonymousreply 122December 18, 2023 10:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123December 18, 2023 10:02 PM

Boop-Boop-a-Poop, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 124December 18, 2023 10:05 PM

Don't encourage the thread starter, R124. He'll be back with another lame Boop title.

by Anonymousreply 125December 18, 2023 10:20 PM

Is it a-pro-pree-ut or a-pro-pree-ate?

by Anonymousreply 126December 19, 2023 1:12 AM

Deadline reviews "Appropriate":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 19, 2023 2:44 AM

NYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128December 19, 2023 2:45 AM

Are the reviews appropriate?

by Anonymousreply 129December 19, 2023 2:50 AM

"Merrily" releases music video:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130December 19, 2023 3:01 AM

Did he rewrite the play (Appropriate) entirely, because when I saw it in 2014, it was a turgid bore.

by Anonymousreply 131December 19, 2023 3:08 AM

From Jesse Green's review

[quote] I have to admit that when I first saw it, at the Signature Theater in 2014, neither understanding nor enjoyment were forthcoming. Rereading my scathing review in light of what is obviously a rave today, I am forced to grapple with my own past, and the play’s. It would be easy to say that the difference between then and now is the heavy rewriting Jacobs-Jenkins has done in the interim. And certainly, comparing the two scripts, I see the clearer dramatic architecture and sharper point-of-view that a playwright in his prime, at 38, can impose.

In other words- it's 10 years later and I'm not allowed to give a bad review to a black artist if I want to keep my job.

by Anonymousreply 132December 19, 2023 3:11 AM

Theatre Critic Peter Marks to Leave Washington Post:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 19, 2023 3:20 AM

R133, Gay face extraordinaire.

by Anonymousreply 134December 19, 2023 3:28 AM

[quote]Don't encourage the thread starter, [R124]. He'll be back with another lame Boop title.

No, sweetheart. The next thread is up to you or someone of your ilk to start and title it. Assuming, of course, that any of you aren't cheap bastards who can't start new threads because you don't contribute any money to the DL. Anyway, the new thread won't be started by me even if this one reaches 600 and then days go by without someone else starting a new one.

by Anonymousreply 135December 19, 2023 3:48 AM

Famous last words, dear. You're too compulsive to live up to that promise. If only you were as clever.

by Anonymousreply 136December 19, 2023 4:34 AM

Oh, do shut up r136.

by Anonymousreply 137December 19, 2023 8:03 AM

You first, hon.

by Anonymousreply 138December 19, 2023 8:06 AM

Don't think Marks is gay, despite the face.

by Anonymousreply 139December 19, 2023 12:03 PM

[quote]One of the many things that made him such an extraordinary director and producer was the fact that he could admit it when he was wrong, even spectacularly so.

Maybe so, but in the case of Merrily he could hardly deny it, could he?

by Anonymousreply 140December 19, 2023 12:21 PM

Doesn’t every straight man have gay face?!

by Anonymousreply 141December 19, 2023 12:35 PM

If you’re still talking about the thread title after post 75, you need to take your Metamucil and go to sleep. Maybe you will be better in the morning

by Anonymousreply 142December 19, 2023 12:36 PM

What a strange comment, R140. Of course Prince could have denied that MERRILY's failure was his responsibility. He could have stuck to his guns and said, "I still think having the show played by very young people was a great idea, and I'm only sorry that the audiences and the critics didn't get it." Others have said similar things.

by Anonymousreply 143December 19, 2023 2:03 PM

The proof will be in the pudding, R136. Whoever ends up starting the new thread, we KNOW it won't be you, because you don't have the ability to do so as you are surely a non-paying member of the DL (because you can't afford it on your salary as a towel boy at a bath house).

by Anonymousreply 144December 19, 2023 2:07 PM

Brandon Uranowitz as Jonathan in tick...tick...BOOM? Isn't he nearly 40. That ticking is his pacemaker. Directed by NPH

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145December 19, 2023 4:31 PM

Encores will have a guest (read, Black) conductor for Jelly's Last Jam.

[quote] . Directed by Robert O’Hara with choreography by Edgar Godineaux and tap choreography by Dormeshia, Jelly’s Last Jam features Guest Music Director Jason Michael Webb leading The Encores! Orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 146December 19, 2023 4:38 PM

[quote]Don't think Marks is gay, despite the face.

He's not, which explains why he was often clueless about musicals.

by Anonymousreply 147December 19, 2023 4:42 PM

R147, Only his face is gay, but for some that’s enough.

by Anonymousreply 148December 19, 2023 4:53 PM

Peter Marks was in the school of Isherwood and a few others -- into the "game" of Broadway and constantly gossiping and handicapping and talking to producers.

by Anonymousreply 149December 19, 2023 6:29 PM

Harmony down $50K last week. They're doomed.

by Anonymousreply 150December 19, 2023 8:43 PM

I hadn't read about Appropriate before. That's a stacked cast. Anyone HERE seen the production?

by Anonymousreply 151December 19, 2023 9:02 PM

[quote]Harmony down $50K last week. They're doomed.

And yet they still grossed $180k more than How to Dance in Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 152December 19, 2023 10:35 PM

Doom for Ohio goes without saying. Not because it's about autism but because the show sounds like it's [italic] only [/italic] about autism.

by Anonymousreply 153December 19, 2023 11:18 PM

[quote]I hadn't read about Appropriate before. That's a stacked cast. Anyone HERE seen the production?

I saw it. Great cast and production, and the audience loved it.

by Anonymousreply 154December 19, 2023 11:58 PM

I am the poster that raving honey badger above accused of being a serial theater thread starter. He may not find me funny, but I can admit in all my years here, I've never attempted to start a theater thread. I like everyone else's attempts just fine!

by Anonymousreply 155December 20, 2023 2:01 AM

‘Appropriate’, ‘Merrily We Roll Along’, ‘I Need That’ Draw Holiday Crowds – Broadway Box Office:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156December 20, 2023 2:32 AM

Good, good, good.

by Anonymousreply 157December 20, 2023 2:33 AM

[quote]R142 If you’re still talking about the thread title after post 75, you need to take your Metamucil and go to sleep. Maybe you will be better in the morning

It was THREE lame thread titles in a row! We tried to be understanding, we tried to be gracious… but the avalanche broke us.

r119’s the devil’s wife! Oh, beware her, sir. She with no pity in her heart... or in her awful thread titles.

by Anonymousreply 158December 20, 2023 6:09 AM

Well r158 you can create the next thread then, and I'm sure your title will be absolutely hilarious. So no-one else create a thread, we're all going to wait and see what r158 comes up with.

by Anonymousreply 159December 20, 2023 8:38 AM

[quote] So no-one else create a thread, we're all going to wait and see what [R158] comes up with.

Stop trying to drag the rest of us into your petty squabble.

by Anonymousreply 160December 20, 2023 1:36 PM

Silly r160! EVERYONE knows complaining about the thread title has to last until at least the 200th post.

by Anonymousreply 161December 20, 2023 1:40 PM

Girls, GIRLS!!!

Can't we just have some fun for once?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 20, 2023 2:10 PM

"How to Dance in Ohio" is a very special episode of an ABC After School Special, Broadway musical edition. It's hard to knock because it's SO sincere, but drastically and musically it's a big nothing burger.

by Anonymousreply 163December 20, 2023 2:12 PM

^ Sorry, throuple, not throttle. Although there may be a bit of that going on.

by Anonymousreply 164December 20, 2023 2:35 PM

^ Meant for the sex thread.

by Anonymousreply 165December 20, 2023 2:37 PM

Wrong thread, R164. But I read your post in the sex thread and I'm still trying to figure out what "Sweeney Todd squealer" means.

by Anonymousreply 166December 20, 2023 2:38 PM

r165 please link to the sex thread, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 167December 20, 2023 3:51 PM

I'm not R165, but here's the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168December 20, 2023 3:53 PM

Why is every new theater thread missing the headline and reply #s? I have to do a search to find it. Is someone unhappy with the thread title so they mess with it??

by Anonymousreply 169December 20, 2023 4:08 PM

You have OP on Ignore, r169?

by Anonymousreply 170December 20, 2023 4:29 PM

I think the entire world has OP on ignore, hence his need to start thread titles.

by Anonymousreply 171December 20, 2023 4:41 PM

...Michael Urie, Gideon Glick, Brad, Miriam Shor, Scott Ellis and Zachary Booth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 20, 2023 4:57 PM

Moat of those people are in it so briefly if you blink, you'll miss them. And all Glick does is flounce around in the background of three or four scenes. For someone who once complained publicly about always playing a stereotypical gay, he certainly seems to do only that.

by Anonymousreply 173December 20, 2023 5:05 PM

Thanks r168

by Anonymousreply 174December 20, 2023 5:07 PM

[quote]I think the entire world has OP on ignore, hence his need to start thread titles.

I don't see what one has to do with the other, but anyway, I will not be "starting any more thread titles."

by Anonymousreply 175December 20, 2023 5:25 PM

Please tell me Scott Ellis had nothing to do with MAESTRO.

And who is Zachary Booth?

by Anonymousreply 176December 20, 2023 5:39 PM

Ellis is in it

by Anonymousreply 177December 20, 2023 5:42 PM

[quote]And all Glick does is flounce around in the background of three or four scenes. For someone who once complained publicly about always playing a stereotypical gay, he certainly seems to do only that.

Plus, in my opinion, he's miscast in this film, because presumably his character is supposed to be extremely attractive. One of the oddest things about MAESTRO is that Bernstein's boyfriend in the first part of the film is the gorgeous Matt Bomer, and his boyfriend much later in the action is......Gideon Glick.

by Anonymousreply 178December 20, 2023 6:09 PM

Christmas must be near, this thread is grinding to a halt.

by Anonymousreply 179December 20, 2023 6:59 PM

Christmas must be near, this *website* is grinding to a halt.

by Anonymousreply 180December 20, 2023 7:26 PM

Zachary Booth is a wonderful actor. He's good in everything I've seen him in on stage and screen.

by Anonymousreply 181December 20, 2023 8:55 PM

[quote]Christmas must be near, this thread is grinding to a halt.

No, we're just tired of reading posts from jerks who have nothing better to do than criticize thread titles. They are a cancer and should be excised. But, they appear like clockwork to condemn every title. Who fucking cares what the title is? If you want to post theater discussion, do it. If you just want to judge titles, then go fuck yourself and try to enjoy your miserable life.

by Anonymousreply 182December 20, 2023 10:49 PM

BRAVO, r182!

by Anonymousreply 183December 20, 2023 11:33 PM

r178 - perhaps I have odd taste, but I think Gideon Glick is quite sexy. Not conventionally attractive, no, but I don't think those are always the exact same thing.

by Anonymousreply 184December 21, 2023 1:38 AM

Gideon Glick is Broadway’s Adam Driver.

by Anonymousreply 185December 21, 2023 1:47 AM

I also find Gideon Glick enormously appealing and possess the imagination to believe a middle aged Lenny Bernstein could have easily been attracted to him.

by Anonymousreply 186December 21, 2023 2:16 AM

Gideon is someone who I think has grown into his looks. I remember seeing him in Spring Awakening and thinking he was really unattractive, but the older he's gotten, the better looking he's gotten. And I've seen him with long hair several times before this and it becomes him.

However, he really didn't look very good in Maestro. I don't know if it was the hairstyle, or if he was photographed unflatteringly, but I thought it was a big step back. Not his fault, of course.

by Anonymousreply 187December 21, 2023 3:08 AM

Thanks, R182. A cancer, indeed. Let's see what these bitches come up with for the next thread title. Except -- oops, I forgot! They probably can't start new threads because they're too tight with a penny to contribute any money at all to DL. Understandable, I guess, because they need to spend all of their available funds on Viagra and such.

by Anonymousreply 188December 21, 2023 3:25 AM

[quote] Thanks, [R182]. A cancer, indeed. Let's see what these bitches come up with for the next thread title. Except -- oops, I forgot! They probably can't start new threads because they're too tight with a penny to contribute any money at all to DL. Understandable, I guess, because they need to spend all of their available funds on Viagra and such.

We've all moved on. You should, too. You're the one who keeps beating this dead horse. And you should especially stop making the same joke in hopes someone will finally laugh at it.

by Anonymousreply 189December 21, 2023 3:28 AM

[quote]Gideon is someone who I think has grown into his looks. I remember seeing him in Spring Awakening and thinking he was really unattractive

Agreed, although I think maybe one of the reasons you found him so unattractive in that show was because his performance was so cartoonishly awful.

[quote]But the older he's gotten, the better looking he's gotten.

Disagreed.

[quote]However, he really didn't look very good in Maestro. I don't know if it was the hairstyle, or if he was photographed unflatteringly, but I thought it was a big step back.

Agreed.

[quote]Not his fault, of course.

Disagreed.

by Anonymousreply 190December 21, 2023 3:29 AM

What "joke" are you referring to, R189? I honestly think it's very likely that the people who are criticizing thread titles created by me and others cannot create threads of their own, because they are not paid members of this board. We will find out when this thread approaches 600 comments.

by Anonymousreply 191December 21, 2023 3:32 AM

Well, I'm a subscriber, and I'd pay double if it gave me the ability to ban you for life.

by Anonymousreply 192December 21, 2023 3:34 AM

Back to "Follies"... A new book by artist David Edward Byrd, who designed the peerless poster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193December 21, 2023 4:37 AM

[quote]r193 Back to "Follies"... A new book by artist David Edward Byrd, who designed the peerless poster.

He also crafted this beloved DL classic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194December 21, 2023 5:09 AM

I really want to get that book.

by Anonymousreply 195December 21, 2023 5:09 AM

David Edward Byrd on the poster for "Godspell," which was produced by Edgar Lansbury (Angela's brother):

Lansbury called me to his office, which was near the Winter Garden Theatre where "Follies" was then in previews. He said, 'I want you to go to the window, stick your head out, and turn to the left.' So I did that and there was my giant Follies on the marquee of the Winter Garden. And he said, 'I want that poster. But I want it to be Jesus.' I drew the poster and Lansbury loved it. However, he only had $100 budgeted to pay for it. I was getting $100 for everything I touched, and not any more! But we struck a deal—$50 a month for as long as the show ran. It ran for eight years, so I ended up with a good bargain there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196December 21, 2023 5:45 AM

Dominic Fumusa, Annie Parisse in A View from the Bridge at Long Wharf. Great casting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 21, 2023 2:17 PM

Dominic Fumusa naked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198December 21, 2023 2:20 PM

West End Look Ahead:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199December 21, 2023 2:31 PM

R197, I agree that Fumusa is good casting for that role, but they have cast a woman as the lawyer Alfieri, which makes zero sense for the time period and location of the story.

by Anonymousreply 200December 21, 2023 3:10 PM

Saw the new Sunset Boulevard last night.

And as somebody who loves European deconstructed directors’ theatre nonsense, I thought it was pretty underwhelming. Dramatically inert, and dragged whenever they weren’t using the screen and cameras. It’s been directed within an inch of its life to hide the fact that its leading lady can’t act, and so every one of Norma’s spoken lines has a hand gesture or some ironic vocal inflection. It’s amusing line to line, perhaps, but never coheres into an actual performance. Scherzinger can belt and look hot while doing it, but little else.

I want David Thaxton in me quite deeply, though. And the staging of Every Movie’s a Circus is great.

by Anonymousreply 201December 21, 2023 3:26 PM

I used to have a signed Byrd Long Beach window card.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202December 21, 2023 3:31 PM

Okay. Let’s settle this. There are currently 6 monster hits on Broadway right now: Chicago, The Lion King, Wicked, Aladdin, Book of Mormon, and Hamilton, Chicago opened with big stars as did Wicked. TLK, Aladdin, and Mormon did not. The only one since Wicked would be Hamilton. Was LMM a big star when it opened?

Platt wasn’t a big star when DEH opened and Parade wasn’t a new musical.

There. Question answered,

by Anonymousreply 203December 21, 2023 5:37 PM

Chicago wasn’t a new musical. My bad.

by Anonymousreply 204December 21, 2023 5:41 PM

r202 I went to that Long Beach "Follies" and I still have my program. That's a GREAT poster.

by Anonymousreply 205December 21, 2023 6:19 PM

Dorothy Lamour [italic] below [italic] title?

by Anonymousreply 206December 21, 2023 6:45 PM

It's the bookend to his Broadway version, r205...in profile.

by Anonymousreply 207December 21, 2023 6:48 PM

I always liked the Paper Mill art. A bit on the dark side...but elegant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208December 21, 2023 6:53 PM

Speaking of the late lamented Long Beach CLO, it's too bad Juliet Prowse didn't live long enough to do Chicago on Broadway. She did Chicago with Bebe who replaced Ann and also did Phyllis in Follies. I remember everyone being disappointed when she didn't come out in a showgirl outfit that showed off the legs for Lucy and Jessie, but when she did Chicago, the audiences left amazed at how this woman who was 20 years older than Bebe could have a better body.

by Anonymousreply 209December 21, 2023 7:03 PM

It's surprising that Juliet Prowse never did a Broadway show but lots of stock tours and Charity and Mame in the West End. I'm guessing it was her choice.

by Anonymousreply 210December 21, 2023 7:56 PM

Juliet Prowse slept with Sinatra for years. Wisely never married him,.

by Anonymousreply 211December 21, 2023 8:07 PM

[quote]R200 they have cast a woman as the lawyer Alfieri, which makes zero sense for the time period and location of the story.

Waaaaa! I don’t like new experiences! Waaaaa!

by Anonymousreply 212December 21, 2023 8:10 PM

The % of posts slamming one another has increased so dramatically. Rarely fun here anymore.

by Anonymousreply 213December 21, 2023 8:17 PM

R213, New York theater queens trying to reclaim their post as the sole arbiters of what is good and bad in theater. If you dare express an opinion contrary to their highly-educated missives, be prepared to be mercilessly destroyed by these insecure cultists, very much like one would expect from Trump. They are cut from the same cloth.

by Anonymousreply 214December 21, 2023 8:40 PM

Yes. They will be storming the Long Wharf Theater next as a mob, to drag the black actor from the stage.

by Anonymousreply 215December 21, 2023 8:45 PM

R215, we are not discussing a black actor. Re-read the post in question.

by Anonymousreply 216December 21, 2023 8:54 PM

[quote] very much like one would expect from Trump

That was kind of my point. Bitchery is fine and can be amusing, but just back and forth carping and insulting feels like the rest of the world these days. I just expected it to be, at least, more clever here.

by Anonymousreply 217December 21, 2023 9:03 PM

Cleverness has been subsumed by snark and arrogance.

by Anonymousreply 218December 21, 2023 9:11 PM

[quote]R216 we are not discussing a black actor. Re-read the post in question.

Oh, right. Thank you. The performer r200 has singled out is named [bold]Patricia Black[/bold]. She is not herself black.

So to clarify, r200 is ruffled that 1950s lawyer characters should be depicted as females?

by Anonymousreply 219December 21, 2023 9:12 PM

I'm not the poster who initially brought up the casting of a woman as Alfieri (the lawyer) in A View from the Bridge, but I do question that choice.

The play, set amongst longshoremen in working class Red Hook, Brooklyn in the 1950s, I think, should feel like a very male-dominated world, and a society of strictly binary sex roles between men and women, where the characters of Eddie and Rodolpho are both plagued in different ways by a strong ethos of maschismo.

Alfieri is the moral conscience of the play and kind of a Greek chorus to the action, IIRC. Does casting a woman help or hurt the themes of the play?

by Anonymousreply 220December 21, 2023 9:13 PM

Lee Roy Reams was one of Juliet's best friends and he said that her story was that she was a virgin until she met Sinatra at 19. He was a lousy lay and had a little dick. She then had good sex with a straight chorus boy and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 221December 21, 2023 9:20 PM

"straight chorus boy"? Where did she find a unicorn?

by Anonymousreply 222December 21, 2023 9:28 PM

[quote]and had a little dick

Yeah, r221...no.

by Anonymousreply 223December 21, 2023 9:34 PM

[quote]the audiences left amazed at how this woman who was 20 years older than Bebe could have a better body.

And voice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224December 21, 2023 9:35 PM

Didn't Ava Gardner, who was actually married to Frank Sinatra, state that he was hung and a good lover?

by Anonymousreply 225December 21, 2023 9:39 PM

If you’re on 19-year-old virgin how do you know who is a lousy lay and aren’t you grateful for a little dick

by Anonymousreply 226December 21, 2023 9:50 PM

R211, Actually, they were only engaged for six weeks. Frank insisted Juliet give up her career and she refused.

by Anonymousreply 227December 21, 2023 9:54 PM

[quote]So to clarify, [R200] is ruffled that 1950s lawyer characters should be depicted as females?

That's correct, at least as applies to this particular play and its setting. If you don't understand why, read R220's excellent explanation.

by Anonymousreply 228December 21, 2023 10:04 PM

Excerpts of the LBCLO Chicago. Kaye Ballard played Mama, Michael O'Haughey the original Mary Sunshine was in it as was the original Amos Barney Martin. Gary Sandy played Billy Flynn. Go To Hell kitty is Jennifer Nairn Smith, one of the most gorgeous show dancers of the era. Directed by Rob Marshall. Ann was going to play Velma until Bebe expressed an interest and Reinking told her to let her play the part. Annie choreographed. The problem with the video is that the videographer was obviously a lover of one of the chorus boys because he often shoots him instead of the action. But look how precise Juliet's movements are in the Me and My Baby number. Prowse was 22 years older than Neuwirth but watch them in Nowadays/Keep It Hot and see if you can believe it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229December 21, 2023 10:17 PM

Ann was right to go back to Fosse’s original choreography for Hot Honey Rag. Her modified version for Long Beach is inferior.

by Anonymousreply 230December 22, 2023 12:21 AM

Think it was Ava Gardner who said something like, "Frank weighed 110 pounds and 90 pounds was cock."

The memoir of his valet also confirmed he was dramatically hung.

by Anonymousreply 231December 22, 2023 12:33 AM

R231, Frank’s longtime valet, George Jacobs, wrote in his book that Frank wore special underwear to house his large package.

by Anonymousreply 232December 22, 2023 12:35 AM

Were any of you fortunate enough to catch Chicago at Encores? I imagine the atmosphere was pretty electric.

by Anonymousreply 233December 22, 2023 12:58 AM

All I know is Judy complained about Frank always wanting blowjobs.

by Anonymousreply 234December 22, 2023 2:10 AM

R233. By the time I saw it on Saturday night word was out that this was something very special. Ann Reinking was incredible. Part Roxie Hart/Part Jessica Rabbit. It's too bad she altered her performance drastically for Broadway and went way way waaaay over the top although her dancing was still magical. Still the best thing I've ever seen at Encores.

by Anonymousreply 235December 22, 2023 2:17 AM

r233, yes, electric it was. Mostly because it came out of left field; it was at that time the most fully realized Encores! production, and those of us at opening night had no idea what we were in for. But I doubt if anyone there would have guessed it would still be running today.

by Anonymousreply 236December 22, 2023 12:33 PM

All this talk upthread about Gideon Glick playing Leonard Bernstein’s boyfriend in “Maestro” and not one of you mentioned — or managed to figure out — that “Tommy” is meant to be Michael Tilson Thomas, who Glick is fashioned to resemble? Thomas was known to be Bernstein’s boyfriend/protege and yet he is given a phony character name in the credits. Did they even need to get his permission to portray him? He’s been a public figure for decades . . .

Re the movie: despite some very splashy and effectives setpieces, “Maestro” is a big cold fish of a movie, a portrait of a gay artist that canonizes his deluded wife and suggests that the closet helped enabled his genius. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 237December 22, 2023 12:46 PM

I see on Wikipedia that Leonard Bernstein lived with a boyfriend names Thomas Cothran before he learned about his wife’s cancer. So “Tommy” is probably a composite character.

by Anonymousreply 238December 22, 2023 1:06 PM

Oh, and those endless conducting sessions with Cooper imitating Bernstein at the podium! Ugh. So self indulgent.

by Anonymousreply 239December 22, 2023 1:41 PM

R237 I had the opposite reaction to Maestro. I found it incredibly moving and thought Carey Mulligan was phenomenal. I have no idea how conflicted Bernstein was in real life about his sexuality, but his options were certainly more limited in the 1940s and 1950s if he wanted to have children. The movie certainly didn't whitewash his attractions to men. And who knows...maybe Felicia was the real love of his life.

by Anonymousreply 240December 22, 2023 1:46 PM

Felicia must have been something else. Sondheim speaks glowingly of her in an interview about LB for PBS. As do many people. Back in the 60s, before LB's bisexuality was public knowledge, a friend who was a Chicago music critic told me that she had recounted to him a tale of a trip to Spain. "I had a wonderful bullfighter in Madrid," she exclaimed, . . . and so did Lenny!"

by Anonymousreply 241December 22, 2023 2:17 PM

My FB feed is pretty evenly divided by friends who loved MAESTRO and friends who hated it. All very passionate. I have a feeling I'll be in the later camp. I know I should get my ass to a real theater to see it but will probably opt for watching on my TV screen tonight.

by Anonymousreply 242December 22, 2023 2:17 PM

[quote]“Maestro” is a big cold fish of a movie, a portrait of a gay artist that canonizes his deluded wife and suggests that the closet helped enabled his genius.

One of the many reasons I feel so negative about the movie is that I don't even think it was successful on its own terms of portraying a troubled marriage between a gay or bisexual man and a heterosexual woman, rather than giving us a satisfying portrait of a genius.

Early on in the movie, before they are married, Felicia says to Lenny something like "I know exactly who you are" -- a reference to the fact that she is already very much aware of his attraction to men and her knowledge that he has had at least one male lover. We're led to believe that she marries him with full knowledge of this, but we're never told what sort of deal or "rules" (if any) Lenny and Felicia had as to whether Lenny would be allowed to continue having sex with men, how often, whether he would be forbidden to spend the night with any of them, etc. So I for one found it hard to understand exactly why, years later, Felicia flies into a rage because Lenny is still dallying with men. I mean, did she really expect him to ever stop doing that?

by Anonymousreply 243December 22, 2023 2:30 PM

I was surprised at how much I didn't like Maestro. I had been so looking forward to it. It was so indulgent acting and directorially, and the ample use of the family life scenes showed me how much Bernstein's heirs were involved. It was never about the artist, the musician or the leader -- just the closet case, and Cooper found a character whose ego matches his. Such a missed opportunity. Not even a mention of the Young People's Concerts? Really?

by Anonymousreply 244December 22, 2023 2:56 PM

R237 could not be more wrong. Tommy Cothran was indeed Bernstein’s most sustained boyfriend and not at all a composite. In the mid-1970s, Bernstein left his wife and family in NYC and spent the summer shacked up with Tommy on a California beach. That was the last straw for Felicia, who told Lenny not to return to the Dakota in the fall. It took her cancer diagnosis to reconcile them. Bernstein and Cothran did eventually part company, with Cothran dying of the AIDS virus.

by Anonymousreply 245December 22, 2023 3:06 PM

OK, holiday weeks are here. Which shows announce closing first in 2024 in 2 weeks? Harmony? Ohio? Neil Diamond? Akimbo? Purlie early?

by Anonymousreply 246December 22, 2023 3:06 PM

“Not even a mention of the Young People's Concerts? Really?“

You must have dozed off, of course they were mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 247December 22, 2023 3:09 PM

[quote] I know I should get my ass to a real theater to see it but will probably opt for watching on my TV screen tonight.

The film is shot in 4:3. And there's nothing all that spectacular about the cinematography. Pretentious is more like it. It's not worth seeing on a big screen.

by Anonymousreply 248December 22, 2023 3:33 PM

NPH and Burtka were the double guest stars at Gutenberg and kissed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249December 22, 2023 3:33 PM

[quote]In the mid-1970s, Bernstein left his wife and family in NYC and spent the summer shacked up with Tommy on a California beach. That was the last straw for Felicia, who told Lenny not to return to the Dakota in the fall. It took her cancer diagnosis to reconcile them.

Does anyone feel this was made clear in the movie? Because I did not, and as per my post above, I couldn't figure out exactly why Felicia became so furious with Lenny for his affairs with men when she had told him "I know who you are" even before they got married. If it's true that Lenny left Felicia and family to shack up with a guy for an entire summer, that would certainly explain it, but if this was stated in the movie, I missed it.

[quote]The film is shot in 4:3. And there's nothing all that spectacular about the cinematography. Pretentious is more like it. It's not worth seeing on a big screen.

For the most part, I agree. And while it's true that the Young People's Concerts were mentioned, they were given no more than a mention in passing. Just as there was only a one-line reference to WEST SIDE STORY in the entire movie, and only about two minutes worth of music from the Prologue of that show heard as background music at a very inappropriate moment.

by Anonymousreply 250December 22, 2023 3:43 PM

....a beer or sandwich.....

by Anonymousreply 251December 22, 2023 3:47 PM

I think it’s pretty obvious that Gideon Glick ruined Maestro…and he knows why!

by Anonymousreply 252December 22, 2023 3:49 PM

Very intriguing, R252. Anything more to say?

by Anonymousreply 253December 22, 2023 3:52 PM

...ain't nothin' for a girl, r251.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254December 22, 2023 4:57 PM

“In the mid-1970s, Bernstein left his wife and family in NYC and spent the summer shacked up with Tommy on a California beach. That was the last straw for Felicia, who told Lenny not to return to the Dakota in the fall. It took her cancer diagnosis to reconcile them.

Does anyone feel this was made clear in the movie? Because I did not, and as per my post above, I couldn't figure out exactly why Felicia became so furious with Lenny for his affairs with men when she had told him "I know who you are" even before they got married. If it's true that Lenny left Felicia and family to shack up with a guy for an entire summer, that would certainly explain it, but if this was stated in the movie, I missed it.“

The above was clearly depicted in the movie, as others can confirm.

Try taking a nap before you watch a movie so you’re more alert.

by Anonymousreply 255December 22, 2023 5:42 PM

[quote]The above was clearly depicted in the movie, as others can confirm.

I also understood that.

[quote]Try taking a nap before you watch a movie so you’re more alert.

You feel the need to be a cunt 3 days before the birthday of our dear lord baby jesus?

by Anonymousreply 256December 22, 2023 5:51 PM

R256 . . .

“Dec. 25 is not the date mentioned in the Bible as the day of Jesus’s birth; the Bible is actually silent on the day or the time of year when Mary was said to have given birth to him in Bethlehem.”

by Anonymousreply 257December 22, 2023 5:56 PM

Sorry, r255, but I didn't get it either, and there seems to be others on here as well who didn't. I found the movie very disjointed and self-indulgent, though I thought Mulligan was great, and Cooper had wonderful moments.

by Anonymousreply 258December 22, 2023 5:57 PM

R258, You really should pause the movie when you need to urinate, so you don’t miss anything.

by Anonymousreply 259December 22, 2023 6:01 PM

R255, I remained wide awake through all of MAESTRO. But I think it would have been forgivable if I'd dozed off, considering how boring it became after a while with its incessant focus on the Lenny/Felicia relationship at the expensive of Bernstein's great artistic accomplishments.

Anyway, yes of course, the movie made it clear that Bernstein was having an affair with that Tommy character, but do you honestly think it made it clear that he left his family to live with the guy on a California beach for an entire summer? Was that perhaps mentioned in a line of overlapping dialogue that I missed? (The overlapping dialogue was yet another annoyance of this movie.)

by Anonymousreply 260December 22, 2023 6:05 PM

[quote]“Dec. 25 is not the date mentioned in the Bible as the day of Jesus’s birth; the Bible is actually silent on the day or the time of year when Mary was said to have given birth to him in Bethlehem.”

According to Luke 2:21 "And when eight days completed for his circumcision, he was called Jesus, the name given him by the angel before he was conceived in the womb."

Jesus Brit milah is traditionally observed on January 1.

by Anonymousreply 261December 22, 2023 6:05 PM

*Jesus' Brit milah

by Anonymousreply 262December 22, 2023 6:06 PM

R260 must have been texting when Lenny told Felicia that he would be taking Tommy to California with him for the summer and Felicia told him if he did that, then not to return to the family.

by Anonymousreply 263December 22, 2023 6:11 PM

In "Maestro," does anyone get to say "Bye, Felicia!"?

by Anonymousreply 264December 22, 2023 6:17 PM

I think the Felicia character mentions in passing that “Lenny” has been living in Hollywood, etc. But it isn’t spelled out, and I still think “Tommy” is a composite because the actor’s nose and hair suggested Michael Tilson Thomas, who had a protracted “ mentee” relationship with Bernstein at around the same time.

That scene of the vicious argument Bernstein and Felicia have while the Thanksgiving Day parade floats go by is a prime example of why this film doesn’t work. The visuals are certainly striking, but Cooper keeps his camera at that remove for the whole scene so that we remain outside of it — he never brings us close to either character, so though the words are passionate and cutting the whole thing comes across as completely cold and bloodless.

by Anonymousreply 265December 22, 2023 6:17 PM

You’re incredibly stupid, R265.

by Anonymousreply 266December 22, 2023 6:30 PM

“When Felicia agrees to take the plunge with Leonard, she's already met David Oppenheim (Matt Bomer, one of the many openly queer actors cast here to play a queer character, alongside Michael Urie as Jerome Robbins and Gideon Glick as Tommy Cothran).“

by Anonymousreply 267December 22, 2023 6:32 PM

Gatsby (no, the other one) to take the Broadway Theater?

(I love their websites: broadwaygatsby.com and gatsbybway.com); no, that won't confused anyone.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268December 22, 2023 7:05 PM

R237 and R238

Glick does not play a composite. He plays Thomas Cothran.

Cothran was a serious relationship, spent a lot of time with the family, and had a rivalry with Felicia. There was no need to combine him with anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 269December 22, 2023 7:18 PM

[quote] You’re incredibly stupid, [R265].

I don't find his observations stupid at all. What's up your ass?

by Anonymousreply 270December 22, 2023 7:46 PM

Not you, R270.

by Anonymousreply 271December 22, 2023 7:49 PM

You really are just a massive piece of garbage, R271. I see how you talk to everyone in every thread you pollute, and when you're called on it, when someone throws the shit you've flung back in your face, you deflect and call them names. You need to sit down and really figure out why you're the way you are.

by Anonymousreply 272December 22, 2023 7:53 PM

Might as well chime in with my Bernstein story. In 1989 I had an aisle seat in the orchestra at the Promenade Theatre for a matinee of Terrence McNally's "The Lisbon Traviata." And down the aisle comes an imposing white-haired man in a floor-length fur coat. With him was a much younger buff man in very tight, dark brown leather pants and a matching leather shirt (not Folsom St. leather, fashion leather). It was Bernstein and his, um, escort. I don't remember heads turning in the audience or anyone bothering him. I don't remember much about the play either, other than Nathan Lane was hilarious (also in the cast: Dan Butler, John Slattery and Anthony Heald).

Bernstein would be dead within a year. I'd seen him conduct a couple of times and loved his Young People's Concerts on TV. But I'll always think of Bernstein in that coat.

by Anonymousreply 273December 22, 2023 7:57 PM

If you really want to make it disappear, the ignore button is far more effective a tool than feeding the troll is.

by Anonymousreply 274December 22, 2023 7:57 PM

I know, R274, but the ignore button comes with issues of its own. It always tells me there's new posts when there aren't. But I'm getting to the point of taking the lesser of two evils.

by Anonymousreply 275December 22, 2023 7:59 PM

R272, You repeatedly hammer away with your misinformation and absurd comments, and when the truth is made blatantly aware to you, you refuse to accept it.

by Anonymousreply 276December 22, 2023 8:00 PM

R273, given the play’s subject matter, it would have been fascinating to watch Bernstein react. But you don’t remember John Slattery going full frontal???

by Anonymousreply 277December 22, 2023 8:14 PM

Well, yes, I *do*, now that you mention it, R277. He may have been a bit fluffed, but who cares?

by Anonymousreply 278December 22, 2023 8:19 PM

I always thought Bernstein was a towering figure but was astonished to learn he was 5'8".

by Anonymousreply 279December 22, 2023 9:49 PM

[quote]By the time I saw it on Saturday night word was out that this was something very special. Ann Reinking was incredible. Part Roxie Hart/Part Jessica Rabbit. It's too bad she altered her performance drastically for Broadway and went way way waaaay over the top although her dancing was still magical. Still the best thing I've ever seen at Encores.

R235 - that sounds amazing. I wish I could have seen Ann on stage. I was still in high school the last time she performed on Broadway and hadn't made my first trip to NY yet.

by Anonymousreply 280December 22, 2023 10:38 PM

For all the Lenny and Tommy talk here's a first-hand recollection from Peter Napolitano. Quite moving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281December 22, 2023 10:42 PM

[quote]I always thought Bernstein was a towering figure but was astonished to learn he was 5'8".

Jews are normally short, no?

by Anonymousreply 282December 22, 2023 10:51 PM

Evidently Encores! was hoping against hope that Liza would be their Roxie -- they held out long enough that Reinking didn't actually officially take the part until quite late in the game.

by Anonymousreply 283December 22, 2023 11:52 PM

How was Liza at that time. When she did Victor Victoria only two years later, she was a disaster. Juliet Prowse was dying so they couldn't ask her.

by Anonymousreply 284December 23, 2023 1:48 AM

I wasn't dying!

by Anonymousreply 285December 23, 2023 2:00 AM

[quote]I wasn't dying!—Lorna

Fuck!

by Anonymousreply 286December 23, 2023 2:26 AM

Has anyone with a functioning womb ever played Roxie onstage?

by Anonymousreply 287December 23, 2023 2:29 AM

R287. I had one when I first played Roxie in 1997

by Anonymousreply 288December 23, 2023 2:30 AM

Does new mom Rumer Willis count?

by Anonymousreply 289December 23, 2023 2:32 AM

R288 - all this Chicago talk had me randomly visit their website. And, holy shit, Charlotte is STILL playing Roxie? She was "my" Roxie on the first national tour in the late 90s. Kind of astonishing that she's still occasionally playing the role more than twenty years later. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 290December 23, 2023 2:45 AM

Charlotte is now doing Melanie Griffith's choreography.

by Anonymousreply 291December 23, 2023 2:48 AM

I saw Charlotte play it on Broadway (with Jasmine Guy as Velma) and both were terrific.

by Anonymousreply 292December 23, 2023 2:49 AM

Charlotte was also terrific in the Pippin revival. I think she was sleeping with another member of the cast, but I guess that's for the Broadway sex thread.

by Anonymousreply 293December 23, 2023 2:52 AM

R293. Yes. She was.

by Anonymousreply 294December 23, 2023 2:56 AM

Charlotte is like Karen Ziemba. Zero charisma.

by Anonymousreply 295December 23, 2023 3:17 AM

OK, I just watched Maestro (very carefully and with the closed captions on!) and there was no scene in which Felicia told Lenny that if he went off for the summer with Tommy he shouldn't ever return. After reading these comments I was looking for it.

I quite enjoyed the film, really appreciated Cooper's fresh and unconventional and at times dream-like approach. I don't know how anyone could criticize it for whitewashing over Lenny's passion for sex with men. It was there constantly, from the first moment in bed with Bomer to the last, dancing and grinding sensuously with the young Black conductor. I also appreciated that Cooper didn't recreate scenes of Lenny's Broadway hits or the creation of them. I really think that would have come off cheesy. Just hearing those (sometimes) brief clips of the glorious music did it for me.

And Gideon Glick is billed as Tommy Cothran in the credits. No composite, no doubt who he's portraying.

by Anonymousreply 296December 23, 2023 3:27 AM

[quote]I quite enjoyed the film, really appreciated Cooper's fresh and unconventional and at times dream-like approach.

Didn't it strike you as odd that the "dream-like approach" was only taken during the first few scenes. There was the fantasy moment of Lenny running from his bed directly to Carnegie Hall in his bathrobe, then a scene or two later there was the fantasy of Lenny and Felicia leaving that party and magically going to an empty theater to watch guys playing sailors dance to music from FANCY FREE and ON THE TOWN -- and then, as far as I can recall, there were no more fantasy sequences at all for the rest of film. Is it right to begin a film with two non-realistic, dreamlike sequences and then just stop with that? Or would that be called bad filmmaking because it leads the audience to expect one kind of film and then morphs into something else?

Anyway, thanks for confirming that there's NO scene where Felicia gives Lenny an ultimatum about Tommy Cochran. Maybe that other poster fantasized it while playing with himself.

by Anonymousreply 297December 23, 2023 4:24 AM

There may not have been dialogue where she gives him a specific ultimatum, but she voice her displeasure about it as though it's come as a shock to her, and she does leave him because of it.

I saw it, but I can understand where some may have glossed over it.

by Anonymousreply 298December 23, 2023 5:18 AM

[quote]Charlotte is now doing Melanie Griffith's choreography.

Hi, Melanie. You're special.

by Anonymousreply 299December 23, 2023 5:21 AM

R299 - you're nuts.

by Anonymousreply 300December 23, 2023 8:32 AM

Anyone think they're going to (quietly) reduce the size of the Sweeney orchestra once Groban departs to help improve running costs and the impact of a presumed drop in box office? I doubt the box office is going to fall off a cliff -- Tveit and Foster obviously have fans -- but I imagine they won't be as much of a drawer as Groban was.

by Anonymousreply 301December 23, 2023 8:38 AM

[quote]I doubt the box office is going to fall off a cliff -- Tveit and Foster obviously have fans -- but I imagine they won't be as much of a drawer as Groban was.

Perhaps not individually, but I think Tveit and Foster together will bring in similar grosses or close to it.

by Anonymousreply 302December 23, 2023 9:06 AM

R301, Hopefully, Aaron will not miss as many performances as Josh.

by Anonymousreply 303December 23, 2023 10:00 AM

I think the musicians’ union would get loud if they quietly tried to reduce the size of the orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 304December 23, 2023 10:06 AM

R301. I see Aaron as more of a chiffonrobe than a drawer. And Sutton is strictly IKEA.

by Anonymousreply 305December 23, 2023 12:22 PM

Still with the Aaron Tveit is gay shtick?

The man's been in the business for nearly 20 years, fresh out of college, and there has been no evidence other than "A friend of a friend saw him walk off with a twink, who met him at the stage door after the show." 😂

He's had a girlfriend for years now.

by Anonymousreply 306December 23, 2023 12:55 PM

“He's had a girlfriend for years now.“

Who he keeps hidden like a bad tattoo.

by Anonymousreply 307December 23, 2023 1:03 PM

[Quote] I think the musicians’ union would get loud if they quietly tried to reduce the size of the orchestra.

Interesting question and I hope somebody keeps an eye or ear on it. If they are over the house minimum now, can they reduce without getting into trouble? I certainly know of shows over the years that have cut back on Costumes, even going so far as to get to the point where they had no changes for the ensemble throughout the show.

by Anonymousreply 308December 23, 2023 2:16 PM

[Quote] Who he keeps hidden like a bad tattoo.

Hidden from you, perhaps, because you’re creepy. Otherwise, she was in Moulin Rouge with him. And everyone knew they were a couple.

by Anonymousreply 309December 23, 2023 2:18 PM

r297, I didn't feel that the "dream-like approach" was abandoned. It was just expressed in different, perhaps more subtle and changing ways, including the sudden move into color photography, and all kinds of different shots, like the way the Thanksgiving parade floats went by the Dakota windows, the occasional lack of expected close-ups, the feverishly dreamy way in which Lenny conducted and the stylized shot of the family running out of the country house after Felicia died (without the inevitable scene or even dialogue of her death).

I appreciated that the unconventional ways the camera was used kept changing, always surprising us, never predictable.

This conversation is reminiscent of the previous Cabaret revival arguments. As an audience member, if you go into a show or film with precise expectations of what you think it "should" be, you're closing yourself off to experiencing something new and different.

by Anonymousreply 310December 23, 2023 2:21 PM

And yet, R309 cannot name her.

by Anonymousreply 311December 23, 2023 2:35 PM

If Aaron was gay pretending to be straight he wouldn't hide a girlfriend. Instead she would be paraded around for multiple photo ops. Perhaps they just enjoy their privacy.

by Anonymousreply 312December 23, 2023 2:36 PM

R310, a lot of what you call "dreamlike" was realistic.

That is indeed what the parade looks like from a Central Park West apartment.

That is indeed how Bernstein conducted, not some dreamy interpretation. In fact, there is video of the performance Cooper recreates that looks even more "dreamy" since there are many close ups. Cooper de-dreamifies it a bit but setting the camera at a distance for most of that scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313December 23, 2023 2:44 PM

I worked with Aaron years ago, I think it was 2007. He had a girlfriend then, someone not in the business, I believe (and maybe a couple of years older). I would see them walking to the theater but she'd never come in with him, always departed at the stage door only to return when the performance was over to walk home together.

He was a sweet boy, great attitude and a total pro. He had the sexiest legs, surprisingly hairy like many hot young guys.

by Anonymousreply 314December 23, 2023 2:50 PM

r313, it's not the parade itself or the conducting itself that was "dream-like" but the choices in the ways they were shot.

by Anonymousreply 315December 23, 2023 2:54 PM

R314, Are you sure that wasn’t his agent, who he often credits in interviews?

by Anonymousreply 316December 23, 2023 3:09 PM

r316, well, I'd see them walking down the street with their arms entwined around each other so.......

by Anonymousreply 317December 23, 2023 3:17 PM

You just have to have it your way, don't you, r316?

by Anonymousreply 318December 23, 2023 3:29 PM

R313, I cannot imagine what would be a less dreamlike way to shoot a balloon going by a window than a long static shot.

And as I said, the long moving shot of Bernstein conducting is less dream like that the actual documentary footage which cuts and juxtaposes more freely.

But hey, backpedaling can be a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 319December 23, 2023 4:24 PM

I have read and heard of several Broadway shows reducing the size of their orchestras during their runs. As someone else here stated, I'm sure the musician's union would not fight the producers about that as long as the reduced number still meets the minimum number of required musicians for that theater.

by Anonymousreply 320December 23, 2023 4:32 PM

Tveit is a golfer, let the straights have him

by Anonymousreply 321December 23, 2023 4:34 PM

[quote]This conversation is reminiscent of the previous Cabaret revival arguments. As an audience member, if you go into a show or film with precise expectations of what you think it "should" be, you're closing yourself off to experiencing something new and different.

Whatever kind of film I may have expected going into MAESTRO, those two dreamlike fantasy sequences at the beginning led to believe it was going to be one kind of film, but then the fantasy sequences stopped and it became another kind of film thereafter. To me, it's not creative or "new" or "different" when the style of a movie changes in midstream, it's just bad filmmaking.

And I wouldn't describe the abrupt shift from black and white to color as in any way dreamlike or consistent with those fantasy sequences at the beginning. I'd just call it silly and pointless.

by Anonymousreply 322December 23, 2023 4:38 PM

r322 we get it. You’ve made your point. Now aren’t there some carolers you can boil in their own pudding?

by Anonymousreply 323December 23, 2023 4:41 PM

R323, I'm sure there have been movies, shows, etc. that you have vociferously criticized during your lifetime. That doesn't make you a Scrooge, and it doesn't make me one, either.

by Anonymousreply 324December 23, 2023 4:58 PM

Vociferously, yes. Incessantly and relentlessly, no. And that’s what makes you a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 325December 23, 2023 5:07 PM

Tveit should have changed his last name. I always think of that joke on MTM: Arnold looks exactly like a Tvedt.

by Anonymousreply 326December 23, 2023 5:16 PM

Aaron Tveit is doing just fine with his original name, r326.

by Anonymousreply 327December 23, 2023 5:43 PM

Those of you protesting that Tveit may actually be straight would do well to remember where you are. You are on a fool’s errand. On DL everyone we say is gay is 100% gay - whether IRL they are straight, gay, or somewhere in between is immaterial. If not out and proud then the only other option is tortured closet case. That’s it - those are your two options.

by Anonymousreply 328December 23, 2023 5:52 PM

[quote]Aaron Tveit is doing just fine with his original name, [R326].

Except that many people don't know how to pronounce it correctly. Don't you think that's a bit of a problem?

by Anonymousreply 329December 23, 2023 5:55 PM

I would love to make a trip to NYC to see Appropriate. I’ve liked Michael Esper in the tv roles I’ve seen, and would be interested to see him on stage. Is he of the gay?

by Anonymousreply 330December 23, 2023 6:02 PM

[quote]Don't you think that's a bit of a problem?

It obviously isn't a problem to him, r329.

by Anonymousreply 331December 23, 2023 6:03 PM

Here, being gay is the default position, unless proved otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 332December 23, 2023 6:09 PM

Doggy is the default position

by Anonymousreply 333December 23, 2023 6:12 PM

R329, StreiSAND . . . like sand on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 334December 23, 2023 7:07 PM

Aaron Tveit’s girlfriend is Ericka Hunter. They’ve been together for years, she was indeed in Moulin Rouge with him, and he mentioned her in his Tony speech.

If you google them, there are all sorts of pix of them together at various events.

by Anonymousreply 335December 23, 2023 7:37 PM

Nonsense. They were shot as realistic duplications—both examples.

by Anonymousreply 336December 23, 2023 9:35 PM

R336, would you care to let us know what you're referring to?

by Anonymousreply 337December 23, 2023 9:45 PM

Might be time to revisit Little Shop,,,,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338December 24, 2023 1:25 AM

Too many good looking guys who spend all their energy on stage acting “nerdy,” rather than regular guys who can just act the story. That’s why Lee Wilkof was so good, and from what I saw (only on video, I know!) Rob McClure as well.

by Anonymousreply 339December 24, 2023 2:02 AM

Rewinding back to Charlotte d'Amboise, and forgive me if I told this story, but I was at Jinkx Monsoon's last performance at Chicago. It seemed to be that Charlotte was a bit more reserved or not as openly warm towards Jinkx as Bianca Marroquin was. To be fair, Bianca and Jinkx shared more time onstage together, and for all I know, the three of them were thick as thieves, but it was something that registered with me. Also, that performance had just about every kept boy and daddy in the tri-state area.

by Anonymousreply 340December 24, 2023 2:31 AM

r340, actors are just people, after all, and there's no sinister reason why one in a cast will become closer with another and not a third. I wouldn't necessarily look for anything underhanded in Charlotte's coolness towards Jinkx. Do you love all of your colleagues in your work place?

by Anonymousreply 341December 24, 2023 3:15 AM

[quote]Do you love all of your colleagues in your work place?

Everyone except Ginny in Billing. She's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 342December 24, 2023 3:18 AM

In all honesty, R341, I have a theory that as nice as a workplace can be, there's usually at least one person each employee is indifferent at best to.

by Anonymousreply 343December 24, 2023 4:34 AM

there's usually at least a majority that each employee is indifferent at best to.

FIFY—signed, Reality

by Anonymousreply 344December 24, 2023 5:20 AM

[Quote] actors are just people

Did you ever see one eat? (or is it, did you ever try to have lunch with one?)

by Anonymousreply 345December 24, 2023 5:48 AM

Maybe Charlotte had a bout of diarrhea or wasn’t feeling fresh “down there,” and wasn’t able to be her usual charming self with Jinkx Monsoon. Her only thought at that point was her need to get offstage.

That would explain it.

by Anonymousreply 346December 24, 2023 9:56 AM

I doubt it was anything. Charlotte must be used to talentless stunt casting in that show by now.

by Anonymousreply 347December 24, 2023 2:33 PM

Chicago sold out when Jinx was on it so I would imagine everyone in the cast was grateful to have them in the show.

by Anonymousreply 348December 24, 2023 3:16 PM

Jinx Falkenburg?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349December 24, 2023 3:40 PM

Short and sweet. Just like Darren himself.

by Anonymousreply 350December 24, 2023 4:02 PM

Jinx Falkenberg was one of the those leading ladies of 1950s game and talk show TV, like Fay Emerson, Jayne Meadows, Betsy Palmer, Bess Myerson, Kitty Carlisle and DL Fave and Goddess of the Legitimate Theatre Arlene Francis, who were charming personalities, mostly famous for being famous.

by Anonymousreply 351December 24, 2023 6:28 PM

Don't actors do long runs anymore?

by Anonymousreply 352December 24, 2023 6:42 PM

I sure don’t!

by Anonymousreply 353December 24, 2023 6:50 PM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 354December 24, 2023 7:59 PM

r351, Don't forget Betty Furness, Barbara Britton, Julia Meade, Laraine Day!

by Anonymousreply 355December 24, 2023 7:59 PM

Oh, I've managed to, r355.

With surprisingly little effort!

by Anonymousreply 356December 24, 2023 8:01 PM

Can any Datalounge sleuth find a photo of Tommy Cothran? I've tried, but there don't seem to be any.

by Anonymousreply 357December 24, 2023 8:11 PM

He's not in this powerpoint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358December 24, 2023 8:16 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal Lost Out on the Rights to a Leonard Bernstein Biopic

Before Bradley Cooper’s ‘Maestro,’ Jake Gyllenhaal had other plans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359December 24, 2023 8:29 PM

Can I just say the obvious? It didn’t matter who played him or what the movie was, it was a tedious film no matter who filmed it because the story isn’t that interesting. It would work better as a documentary.

So he was mostly gay and married a woman in the 1950s and had kids but still slept with men on the side. This is the plot to nearly every gay movie circa before 2006.

His career was also not very interesting. If you want behind the scenes dish on West Side Story, film a movie about notorious cunt Arthur Laurents.

by Anonymousreply 360December 24, 2023 9:13 PM

R560. I agree—just watched it on Netflix. Never got a sense of the inner lives of the characters. (And I generally enjoy their work.). Why this was such a passion project for Cooper is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 361December 24, 2023 9:19 PM

They were all cunts!

by Anonymousreply 362December 24, 2023 9:27 PM

Interesting that Jake and Bradley each had a passion to depict a bi-guy.

by Anonymousreply 363December 24, 2023 9:56 PM

You're welcome...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364December 24, 2023 10:12 PM

Could we get back to talking about theater?

by Anonymousreply 365December 24, 2023 10:15 PM

If there’s any theater worth talking about

by Anonymousreply 366December 24, 2023 10:16 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367December 24, 2023 10:21 PM

holiday Fosse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368December 24, 2023 10:28 PM

[quote]R351 Jinx Falkenberg was one of the those leading ladies of 1950s game and talk show TV

EXCUSE me, but I was also a FORMER MODEL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369December 24, 2023 10:33 PM

Her Hollywood Star is next to Janet Jackson's.

by Anonymousreply 370December 24, 2023 10:34 PM

Oh, so she's on one of the skid row blocks, then.

by Anonymousreply 371December 24, 2023 10:39 PM

[quote]r365 Could we get back to talking about theater?

Did you know Constance Forslund, who replaced Tina Louise as Ginger in “Rescue from Gilligan’s Island,” was also in the 1971 Broadway revival of “The Women” with Rhonda Fleming, Kim Hunter, and Myrna Loy?

Discuss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372December 24, 2023 10:47 PM

Excuse me, r372, ex-c-u-s-e me. Aren't you forgetting somebody? By the way, it was '73. I was doing something else in '71.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373December 24, 2023 11:02 PM

So is Jordan Roth tearing out his tresses now that other "Gatsby" is beating his to Broadway. Guess he no longer has the power position(s) to stop this travesty...

by Anonymousreply 374December 24, 2023 11:15 PM

I should think he'd be relieved to not have wasted the money when he sees the other Gatsby fail miserably, as it inevitably will.

by Anonymousreply 375December 24, 2023 11:33 PM

One failing doesn’t mean the other will

by Anonymousreply 376December 25, 2023 12:15 AM

[quote]r373 Excuse me, [R372], ex-c-u-s-e me. Aren't you forgetting somebody? By the way, it was '73.

Oh yes, I’m sorry, Miss Smith. You were a GREAT Sylvia, I’m sure!

Can someone identify who these players from the 1973 revival are? Is that Connie Forslund near the bottom? (I know it’s Myrna Loy at the top.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377December 25, 2023 1:11 AM

‘73 cast list

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378December 25, 2023 1:11 AM

Lainie Kazan was fired from The Women out of town. Too bad because Crystal seemed like a great role for her. And, no, Michele Lee did not replace her.

by Anonymousreply 379December 25, 2023 1:56 AM

I don't remember Crystal being a big fat pig.

by Anonymousreply 380December 25, 2023 1:58 AM

She was a fat, hairy pig.

by Anonymousreply 381December 25, 2023 2:15 AM

Lainie Kazan is such a sad case.

Funny Girl understudy…but then got fired from Seesaw, fired from the Women. She should have had a Broadway career.

She could have done Carlotta in Follies. Good times and bum times…she saw them all.

by Anonymousreply 382December 25, 2023 2:18 AM

MYRNA LOY, KIM HUNTER, ALEXIS SMITH, MARIE WALLACE, DOROTHY LOUDON, RHONDA FLEMING, AND JAN MINER

by Anonymousreply 383December 25, 2023 2:18 AM

Okey dokey now. Reading r378, mention must be made of Jan Miner in the role of the Countess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384December 25, 2023 2:19 AM

In the Hirschfeld caricature are Myrna Loy, Kim Hunter, Marie Wallace (who replaced Lainie - don't know why they couldn't get a bigger name for Crystal), Dorothy Loudon, Rhonda Fleming and Jan (You're soaking in it!) Miner.

It was a fun revival if a little underpowered. Alexis Smith definitely stole the show.

by Anonymousreply 385December 25, 2023 2:20 AM

Polly (Vera Charles) Rowles as Miss Curtis and Lucy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386December 25, 2023 2:37 AM

And the great Mary Louise Wilson as lady authoress Nancy Blake, I heard from a friend of hers at the time of the revival that she was pissed that Rhonda Fleming insisted on stealing some of her best lines in the group scenes they were in together.

And with Bobo Lewis as Olga the Manicurist and Marian Hailey in the Joan Fontaine role.

by Anonymousreply 387December 25, 2023 2:49 AM

Marian Hailey...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388December 25, 2023 3:11 AM

[quote]r387 Mary Louise Wilson was pissed that Rhonda Fleming insisted on stealing some of her best lines in the group scenes they were in together.

That thoroughgoing CUNT!

And Fleming always seemed so gracious…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389December 25, 2023 3:18 AM

[quote]His career was also not very interesting.

Bernstein's career was not very interesting? Please step away from the hallucinogens.

by Anonymousreply 390December 25, 2023 3:53 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391December 25, 2023 3:55 AM

[quote] Jan Miner

CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 392December 25, 2023 3:58 AM

[quote]R380 I don't remember Crystal being a big fat pig.

Now, here here! I think Ms. Kazan might have been good as Crystal.

How could we find out why, and HOW, she was fired?? Did Elaine Joyce drop off a note?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393December 25, 2023 4:34 AM

Sylvia and Miriam (or is it Lainie getting sacked?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394December 25, 2023 4:40 AM

[quote]I don't remember Crystal being a big fat pig.

Obviously you never saw the MGM original.

by Anonymousreply 395December 25, 2023 4:42 AM

FOLLIES lives in the hearts of young theatre queens!

It's as sure as Christmas, as long as there are those who love showtunes and have an imagination it will live!

by Anonymousreply 396December 25, 2023 5:39 AM

You’re the a-hole who brought it up.

by Anonymousreply 397December 25, 2023 12:42 PM

One of the most interesting anecdotes regarding the original FUNNY GIRL was Lainie's stepping in for Barbra. But in 900+ pages, Barbra can't bring herself to mention it.

by Anonymousreply 398December 25, 2023 12:57 PM

R398, I’m waiting for an article that states who and what she omitted.

by Anonymousreply 399December 25, 2023 1:18 PM

R398, Her story of Johnny Desmond’s first performance after replacing Sydney Chaplin applauding her like he was an audience member after she sang “People” is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 400December 25, 2023 1:21 PM

Is there a problem with the proposed Follies in Vegas? I can't access their website anymore.

by Anonymousreply 401December 25, 2023 2:22 PM

What, r401? It *isn't*...still here?

by Anonymousreply 402December 25, 2023 2:25 PM

We don't discuss the fabulous life and career of Bobo Lewis anywhere near enough.

by Anonymousreply 403December 25, 2023 3:12 PM

I have sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 404December 25, 2023 3:22 PM

Marian Hailey replaced Beth Howland in Company when Beth left to start the National tour (along with Ralston, Myers, McKechnie, Stritch, Braswell). After the first two stops (3 1/2 months in LA and seven weeks in SF), most of the Broadway cast went back to NY, and Hailey took Howland’s place in the tour and Howland rejoined the Broadway company.

by Anonymousreply 405December 25, 2023 6:03 PM

Is Howland a Phyllis or a Sally?

And why were we denied this?

by Anonymousreply 406December 25, 2023 7:04 PM

I see Howland as more of a Buddy.

by Anonymousreply 407December 25, 2023 7:41 PM

Beth Howland tap dancing in Sweeney Todd was *the* highlight of the Burt Reynolds Dinner Theatre's 1987-88 season!

by Anonymousreply 408December 25, 2023 7:53 PM

Meh! A more discerning group of us know Beth stole it from Bonnie Franklin's acclaimed Kenley Players performance in '82.

by Anonymousreply 409December 25, 2023 7:54 PM

The producer of "Gatsby" has a track record that includes "Holla if you Hear Me" and "Dr. Zhivago." Sic transit gloria Mundi...

by Anonymousreply 410December 25, 2023 8:49 PM

[quote]Sic transit gloria Mundi

Is there a discount code for that one?

by Anonymousreply 411December 25, 2023 8:52 PM

Did Gloria Mundy sue the MTA?

by Anonymousreply 412December 25, 2023 8:55 PM

Gloria Mundi is a Phyllis.

by Anonymousreply 413December 25, 2023 9:41 PM

Did Beth Howland illegally sublet her apartment while on tour with Company? Inquiring minds want to know,

by Anonymousreply 414December 25, 2023 10:09 PM

Merry Christmas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415December 25, 2023 10:11 PM

Beth Howland was an Emily Whitman, and everyone knows it!

by Anonymousreply 416December 25, 2023 11:55 PM

Beth Howland definitely had Follies on her resume. She was listed as “audience member”

by Anonymousreply 417December 26, 2023 12:04 AM

I'm confused. Is the GATSBY that's moving to Broadway the production that played Paper Mill and got those mixed reviews? And is it moving to the enormous Broadway Theatre? Are they crazy?

by Anonymousreply 418December 26, 2023 1:25 AM

[quote]R335 Aaron Tveit’s girlfriend is Ericka Hunter. They’ve been together for years… he mentioned her in his Tony speech.

My god. The naked [italic]desperation.

by Anonymousreply 419December 26, 2023 1:40 AM

[quote]The naked desperation.

Pics of Aaron’s naked desperation please.

by Anonymousreply 420December 26, 2023 1:46 AM

r405, I saw the Company national tour in SF, but know I didn't see Stritch or Myers.

by Anonymousreply 421December 26, 2023 3:02 AM

Tour cast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422December 26, 2023 6:04 AM

My family always said Sic transit Gloria Swanson.

by Anonymousreply 423December 26, 2023 12:46 PM

Sic Transit Gloria in Excelsis Deo

by Anonymousreply 424December 26, 2023 12:52 PM

The obvious answer is "sic transit Gloria Grahame."

by Anonymousreply 425December 26, 2023 1:52 PM

"sic transit Gloria Upson."

by Anonymousreply 426December 26, 2023 2:54 PM

That was ghastly - just GHASTLY!

by Anonymousreply 427December 26, 2023 4:55 PM

Gloria Holden

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428December 26, 2023 5:27 PM

a different Gloria Holden...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429December 26, 2023 5:27 PM

The inmates are running things here. Let’s wrap it up fast so we can fight about a new thread title STAT

by Anonymousreply 430December 26, 2023 6:14 PM

Did the Little Shop producers also hire an AutoTune for Darren Criss's run? He's cute and all (despite the cooler-than-thou hipster vibes), but the man cannot sing in tune for more than five notes.

by Anonymousreply 431December 26, 2023 7:23 PM

It doesn’t matter if Darren Criss can sing…he will sell out his run. Girls LOVE him. He’s the perfect mix of gay acting straight man.

Hetero women love that best.

Sure, they are fun to hag with…but at the end of the day they come home to pussy, just as God intended

by Anonymousreply 432December 26, 2023 8:31 PM

Those closing announcements have GOT to be coming for Purlie Victorious, Harmony and How to Dance in Ohio. I'm also still amazed that A Beautiful Noise has lasted as long as it has.

by Anonymousreply 433December 26, 2023 8:44 PM

R433 Good times never felt good.

by Anonymousreply 434December 26, 2023 9:13 PM

Purlie should never have extended.

by Anonymousreply 435December 26, 2023 9:21 PM

Sad about PURLIE because I've only heard raves from so many friends who've seen it. Yet I can't get myself from NJ to NY (an hour away) to see it. It's just not worth the schlep and expense any more.

At this point in my life I prefer to go to London once or twice a year and see theatre there. The best stuff, of which there's so much over there, all comes to NY eventually. The West End is the new Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 436December 26, 2023 9:30 PM

DL just does t care anymore. Does anyone? Is this papi’s next chance to vibrate and bray and lose another Tony?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437December 26, 2023 9:41 PM

The man in the moon is A HOT PAPI!

by Anonymousreply 438December 26, 2023 9:52 PM

Sounds like a real toe tapper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439December 26, 2023 10:05 PM

Who the fuck wants to see a musical about Galileo? Directed by Michael Mayer!

by Anonymousreply 440December 26, 2023 10:28 PM

[quote]Who the fuck wants to see a musical about Galileo?

Raises hand.

by Anonymousreply 441December 26, 2023 10:33 PM

Will they be interpolating "Bohemian Rhapsody?"

by Anonymousreply 442December 26, 2023 10:43 PM

I love Raul but that Galileo show has HUGE FLOP written all over it.

I wonder if he was asked to replace Groban as Sweeney. Now that I'd pay to see.

by Anonymousreply 443December 26, 2023 10:58 PM

Raul will never win a Tony. Some of us don’t!

by Anonymousreply 444December 26, 2023 11:43 PM

How to Dance in Ohio drops even further, down to $323,468 last week—how low can she go?

by Anonymousreply 445December 27, 2023 3:30 AM

How to Limbo in Lima.

by Anonymousreply 446December 27, 2023 3:53 AM

When Matt Doyle has a Tony and Papa Raul does not....

by Anonymousreply 447December 27, 2023 6:37 AM

[quote]At this point in my life I prefer to go to London once or twice a year and see theatre there. The best stuff, of which there's so much over there, all comes to NY eventually. The West End is the new Broadway.

I think you're blinded by your Anglophilia.

Both Broadway and the West End have gotten 'woke' in recent years and both suck as a result.

by Anonymousreply 448December 27, 2023 7:01 AM

Having seen a more than a dozen shows in both NYC and London this year, it’s clear that the West End is blowing away Broadway with the content/creativity/acting. That said, the talent on Broadway insofar as the singing and general chorus remains unsurpassed (even in shitty shows). It’s sad Broadway is so bad with so much talent, whereas London has performers doing their best in excellent productions.

by Anonymousreply 449December 27, 2023 8:27 AM

I think you're blinded by your anti-woke mania. In any given week the West End has two or three times the number of nonmusical plays that Broadway offers, and that's not counting the three stages at the National, the Almeida, Menier Chocolate Factory, The Bridge, the Old Vic, The Young Vic, Hampstead Theatre, Royal Court, The Globe . . . . generally it costs half what it would cost in New York. Not anglophilia, just the facts.

by Anonymousreply 450December 27, 2023 8:34 AM

The thing is Raul was never the front runner for the Tony except once, despite many nominations. Him losing for Company was a real shock….but DHP is beloved in the community, and at that time, Raul was…well…not.

He had a reputation for being difficult for battling with Rosie during Taboo. That hurt his chances during that award season as well.

The nomination for Company truly was a then or never situation and the American Theatre Wing chose never

by Anonymousreply 451December 27, 2023 12:09 PM

[quote]but DHP is beloved in the community

And people act like a lack of taste and good judgement amongst the Broadway community is a recent thing

by Anonymousreply 452December 27, 2023 12:52 PM

A Twitter account which purports to be run by his representative says David Kernan died yesterday. Google News shows no news site picking it up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453December 27, 2023 12:57 PM

[quote]The thing is Raul was never the front runner for the Tony except once, despite many nominations. Him losing for Company was a real shock….but DHP is beloved in the community, and at that time, Raul was…well…not. He had a reputation for being difficult for battling with Rosie during Taboo

I don't think Raul's battles with Rosie specifically hurt him at all by giving him a reputation for being "difficult," as SHE was so notoriously difficult and obviously made some epic mistakes in producing TABOO. So if Raul is not liked in the community, I really don't think it's for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 454December 27, 2023 1:12 PM

R451, Raúl‘s performance in Company was nothing special. He acted as if he were semicomatose.

by Anonymousreply 455December 27, 2023 1:36 PM

With all those syndicated seasons of SVU, he’s vibrato-ing all the way to [italic] el banque. [/Italic]

by Anonymousreply 456December 27, 2023 1:36 PM

[Quote] He acted as if he were semicomatose

And as if he was scaling [Italic] Medea [/italic] at least.

by Anonymousreply 457December 27, 2023 1:41 PM

[quote]He acted as if he were semicomatose

[quote]And as if he was scaling Medea at least.

Those two statements sound quite contradictory to me.

by Anonymousreply 458December 27, 2023 1:59 PM

r448, I'll readily admit to some Anglophilia but, also, I mostly tend to see plays in London, not musicals, and the acting (and directing and design!) talent on those stages is way ahead of anything I've seen on Broadway in the last several years. Broadway has nothing like The National, the Old and Young Vic, the Almeida, etc.

Though as far as musical talent goes, the Sondheim revue Old Friends and the revivals of Cabaret and Guys & Dolls were also still far more fun and exciting than any recent Broadway fare.

by Anonymousreply 459December 27, 2023 2:01 PM

I still can't believe Sutton is learning Mattress and Sweeney at the same time. Mattress runs Jan 24-Feb 4 and she starts as Lovett on Feb 9

by Anonymousreply 460December 27, 2023 3:20 PM

Mrs. Lovett is...SHYYYYYYYY!!!

by Anonymousreply 461December 27, 2023 3:59 PM

[quote] Those two statements sound quite contradictory to me.

Not at all, his stupor was all so serious and tragic

by Anonymousreply 462December 27, 2023 6:03 PM

[quote]I still can't believe Sutton is learning Mattress and Sweeney at the same time. Mattress runs Jan 24-Feb 4 and she starts as Lovett on Feb 9.

She does seem to have become something of a pig, doesn't she? We'll see how all of this turns out for her -- although, like many other people, I still can't believe she was actually cast as Mrs. L.

by Anonymousreply 463December 27, 2023 6:18 PM

R460. Well it's not like she has to run home after work and cook dinner.

by Anonymousreply 464December 27, 2023 6:36 PM

Tommy Smothers has died. Saw him and brother Dick in I Love My Wife and they were hilarious. RIP

by Anonymousreply 465December 27, 2023 6:39 PM

[Quote] She does seem to have become something of a pig

WTF??!? What a trash thing to say. You’re mad at her for accepting jobs?

by Anonymousreply 466December 27, 2023 7:03 PM

R466, in this case I'm "mad" at her for accepting a major role (Mrs. Lovett in SWEENEY) for which she's ridiculously unsuited, and even more so because she will need to begin performing it about a week after finishing up a two-week run in another major role that she will need to rehearse from scratch. Has it ever before in the history of show business happened that anyone has done something like this?

Also, in my opinion, this is not the first time Foster has accepted a role for which she was seriously miscast -- see also Reno Sweeney in ANYTHING GOES.

by Anonymousreply 467December 27, 2023 7:19 PM

The one for which she won a Tony?

by Anonymousreply 468December 27, 2023 7:21 PM

See also the damage to my eardrums after Sutton “sang” in Music Man.

by Anonymousreply 469December 27, 2023 7:22 PM

Lol, r467, She was cast...which didn't involve theft, blackmail or breaking the ankle of the star so that she could go on. Your issue should be with the powers that cast her and not Sutton.

by Anonymousreply 470December 27, 2023 7:23 PM

[quote]Has it ever before in the history of show business happened that anyone has done something like this?

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 471December 27, 2023 7:23 PM

R470, Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 472December 27, 2023 7:30 PM

[quote]Lol, [R467], She was cast...which didn't involve theft, blackmail or breaking the ankle of the star so that she could go on. Your issue should be with the powers that cast her and not Sutton.

Good point, but my issue is with both. Foster should have enough self-knowledge to know that, ultimately, it's not a good idea to accept roles one is all wrong for. And yes, she was arguably even more wrong for Marian in THE MUSIC MAN than for Reno in ANYTHING GOES, and my only explanation for not mentioning THE MUSIC MAN is that I guess I temporarily blocked that performance from my mind.

R471, that was a serious question on my part. Can you imagine Ethel Merman or Marty Martin or Angela Lansbury or whomever agreeing to learn a huge starring role in a show they had never done before for a two-week run, and then to begin performing ANOTHER huge starring role in another show she had never done before less than a week later?

by Anonymousreply 473December 27, 2023 7:33 PM

R473, The Tveit/Foster casting was announced weeks ago. You don’t think there have been rehearsals in the interim?

by Anonymousreply 474December 27, 2023 7:40 PM

[quote]ultimately, it's not a good idea to accept roles one is all wrong for.

Yeah, r473, you end up with a Tony nomination...or even a Tony!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475December 27, 2023 7:40 PM

[quote]The Tveit/Foster casting was announced weeks ago. You don’t think there have been rehearsals in the interim?

I'm sure there have been, and I myself have mentioned that to others as a sort of devil's advocate thing. I still think this kind of a rehearsal/performance schedule for two different shows is probably unprecedented.

Oh sure, R475. As if no one ever won an undeserved Tony Award.

by Anonymousreply 476December 27, 2023 7:45 PM

R476 Indeed.

by Anonymousreply 477December 27, 2023 7:55 PM

I didn't say they were deserved or undeserved, r476. But the performer *is* rewarded either way. Sutton is in her performing prime and she isn't going to turn down a role because *you're* in a snit about her being miscast.

by Anonymousreply 478December 27, 2023 7:57 PM

R478, I'm far from the only person who has been very vocal about her miscasting in THE MUSIC MAN and SWEENEY TODD. But no point in my arguing with you,, because I'm sure you're right that it would never have occurred to Foster not to accept these roles.

by Anonymousreply 479December 27, 2023 8:01 PM

[Quote] But no point in my arguing with you

And yet…

by Anonymousreply 480December 27, 2023 8:11 PM

Who cares, Kail's production is bland piece of shit anyway.

Since it's basically just Hamilton Todd I'm sure Foster's straight tones won't be any worse than Ashford climbing the set like a spider monkey.

by Anonymousreply 481December 27, 2023 8:32 PM

[quote][R478], I'm far from the only person who has been very vocal about her miscasting in THE MUSIC MAN and SWEENEY TODD.

I never said you were, r479. I myself said she was miscast in Anything Goes and Music Man. I'm not going to judge her Lovett until I've seen it. I do *not* fault Sutton, however, for striking while the iron is hot. What did you expect her to do...turn down the roles? That's asinine.

by Anonymousreply 482December 27, 2023 8:41 PM

Who said "spider monkey"?

by Anonymousreply 483December 27, 2023 9:09 PM

From what I've heard, Kail did precious little in guiding his actors in Sweeney.

by Anonymousreply 484December 27, 2023 10:15 PM

Purlie Victorious is scheduled to close in February -- would it close earlier or tough it out? (Friends saw it and loved it.)

by Anonymousreply 485December 27, 2023 10:42 PM

I don’t know what to make of this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486December 28, 2023 12:13 AM

R486 I don’t disagree with him….but his complaining gets old when it’s every interview

by Anonymousreply 487December 28, 2023 12:22 AM

R486 He was free to leave the show. It's called artistic differences. That entire production was a cartoon so Teen Angel didn't really look out of place.

by Anonymousreply 488December 28, 2023 12:22 AM

As I remember that Tommy Tune version of GREASE, it was all made into a big silly cartoon so his Teen Angel fit right in. No one in the cast portrayed a human being.

by Anonymousreply 489December 28, 2023 12:30 AM

We can think of Sutton doing Mattress and Sweeney a sort of repertory, which, yes in the history of show business, has been done before.

by Anonymousreply 490December 28, 2023 12:38 AM

R488

Exactly he could’ve left whenever he wanted, and he also could not have taken the role if he thought it was so offensive

by Anonymousreply 491December 28, 2023 12:38 AM

[Quote] Exactly he could’ve left whenever he wanted

Do contracts work that way? Also I’m sure he needed the check.

by Anonymousreply 492December 28, 2023 1:26 AM

I'm no big Sutton Foster fan, but she solidly held her own opposite Hugh Jackman, and good casting or not she was a lot of fun in The Music Man. I was surprised after being underwhelmed by her in other shows. I thought she had gotten better.

by Anonymousreply 493December 28, 2023 1:30 AM

Also Teen Angel is not a person. A fantasy- played later in this production by Chubby Checker, Jennifer Holliday, and Mary Bond Davis.

by Anonymousreply 494December 28, 2023 1:35 AM

And that Teen Angel costume was designed by the brilliant Willa Kim!

by Anonymousreply 495December 28, 2023 1:36 AM

Well, r493, I think the main complaint was her not being a legit soprano.

by Anonymousreply 496December 28, 2023 1:37 AM

[Quote] Grease" was on hiatus from 2/23/1997 through 4/7/1997.

by Anonymousreply 497December 28, 2023 1:40 AM

And on the old straw hat circuit, the cast would rehearse next week’s show during the day while performing the current one at night. Neither Winnifred nor Mrs. Lovett are that demanding from a musicianship standpoint. If you were trying to do the role of Sweeney and, say, Cervantes/Quixote or Emile de Becque in Rep, it would be different. Whether Foster can create both characters as an actress is more open to dispute.

by Anonymousreply 498December 28, 2023 2:11 AM

Mrs. Lovett and Winnifred may not be much on the musical notes but both are extremely demanding and difficult roles in that neither stands still ever. There's gotta be a lot of blocking to learn both.

by Anonymousreply 499December 28, 2023 2:17 AM

I can see her being fine in Mattress. It's a spunky role. She does spunky well. I know some of you are not fond of spunk.

by Anonymousreply 500December 28, 2023 2:19 AM

I hate spunk.

by Anonymousreply 501December 28, 2023 2:20 AM

Yes, Lou, that was directed to you.

by Anonymousreply 502December 28, 2023 2:23 AM

[quote]There's gotta be a lot of blocking to learn both.

She's a dancer, so I think that would help. How is she with accents?

by Anonymousreply 503December 28, 2023 2:25 AM

[quote]I never said you were, [R479]. I myself said she was miscast in Anything Goes and Music Man. I'm not going to judge her Lovett until I've seen it. I do *not* fault Sutton, however, for striking while the iron is hot. What did you expect her to do...turn down the roles? That's asinine.

Although I guess it's relatively rare, over the years there have been some stars who were smart enough to be able to look at the big picture and turn down plum roles in which they would have been terribly miscast. One that comes to mind is Carol Burnett telling the FUNNY GIRL powers that be that she didn't feel she was right for the role of Fanny Brice, and that she thought they should get a Jewish girl..

by Anonymousreply 504December 28, 2023 2:26 AM

But Winnifred is not merely "spunky." That was the mistake in casting Sarah Jessica Parker. Winnifred was conceived to be a loud-mouthed man eater. THat's where the comedy is though I doubt they'll go there and I doubt a new iteration will really work.

by Anonymousreply 505December 28, 2023 2:27 AM

[quote]And on the old straw hat circuit, the cast would rehearse next week’s show during the day while performing the current one at night. Neither Winnifred nor Mrs. Lovett are that demanding from a musicianship standpoint.

I was not talking about "the straw hat circuit" or summer stock or whatever. I really don't think it has ever happened in history that a major Broadway star has opened in a huge, new starring role in a major New York production and then in another huge, new starring role in another major New York production less than one week after the first one closed.

[quote]Mrs. Lovett and Winnifred may not be much on the musical notes but both are extremely demanding and difficult roles in that neither stands still ever.

Thank you. And actually, Mrs. Lovett is quite a challenging vocal role, as anyone who knows anything about music and singing can attest.

by Anonymousreply 506December 28, 2023 2:38 AM

[quote]r490 We can think of Sutton doing Mattress and Sweeney as a sort of repertory, which, yes in the history of show business, has been done before.

Not to mention she could have been practicing the two scores with her voice teacher over the years, if the parts have always appealed to her. Some performers do that with their dream roles.

by Anonymousreply 507December 28, 2023 2:38 AM

She's an athlete, r506, she's trained for this.

by Anonymousreply 508December 28, 2023 2:59 AM

Didn't Barbra Streisand do at least one of her TV specials while she was still performing on Broadway in Funny Girl?

And wasn't Mary Martin performing in Sound of Music on Broadway when she shot Peter Pan for TV in 1960?

by Anonymousreply 509December 28, 2023 3:25 AM

R509 Don't feed the troll.

I just finished the Patrick Stewart autobiography. Utterly charming, and did the talk of English rep, Jesus they worked hard. And then the RSC stepped it up a notch.

by Anonymousreply 510December 28, 2023 3:35 AM

It's not the work, it's the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 511December 28, 2023 12:35 PM

My big question is what Amy SP will do to the book of MATRESS, which has always seemed pretty full proof over the years to me.

by Anonymousreply 512December 28, 2023 12:44 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker was horrible casting and everyone knows it. Even reticent cunt Mary Rodgers bashed her in her memoir.

by Anonymousreply 513December 28, 2023 1:27 PM

LaChanze:

[quote]I am getting a lot of DM’s and posts about why I’ve been left out of the press as the original Celie in the @TheColorPurple (musical). I am thrilled for the movie’s success! Happy for all involved. However, I do want my royalty fee for the lyrics I added to “I’M HERE”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514December 28, 2023 2:01 PM

Has it ever before in the history of show business?

Please let it be the title of the next thread...

by Anonymousreply 515December 28, 2023 2:14 PM

LaChanze takes LaChance.

by Anonymousreply 516December 28, 2023 2:35 PM

Fool proof.

by Anonymousreply 517December 28, 2023 2:43 PM

[quote]Didn't Barbra Streisand do at least one of her TV specials while she was still performing on Broadway in Funny Girl? And wasn't Mary Martin performing in Sound of Music on Broadway when she shot Peter Pan for TV in 1960?

Both true, but not quite the same situations. Streisand had already opened and was into the run of FUNNY GIRL, so she wasn't basically rehearsing two things at the same time. And Martin had already done three live telecasts of PETER PAN before the 1960 version was recorded on videotape.

by Anonymousreply 518December 28, 2023 2:47 PM

[Quote] My big question is what Amy SP will do to the book of MATRESS, which has always seemed pretty full proof over the years to me.

First, she will run it through spellcheck

by Anonymousreply 519December 28, 2023 2:53 PM

Has LaChanze ever asked for a royalty before or is she just trying to get some of that Oprah money now.

by Anonymousreply 520December 28, 2023 3:01 PM

Why the fuck would LaChanze be part of the publicity for the film version? No one knows (or cares) who she is, and considering Fantasia replaced her in the show and actually turned it into a hit, you would think she wouldn't want that reminder out there.

And yes, if she'd never been paid before, she's shit out of luck. If she had, then she knows she has to be paid. I'm so sick of has-beens looking for their next publicity fix.

by Anonymousreply 521December 28, 2023 3:49 PM

Didn't Fantasia miss most of her Broadway CP performances? In all the press for the film, she keeps alluding how hard the Broadway show was for her, and what bad shape she was in. Any one remember?

by Anonymousreply 522December 28, 2023 6:18 PM

Her attendance was fine.

by Anonymousreply 523December 28, 2023 7:20 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524December 28, 2023 8:02 PM

I don't know about "most of her performances," but apparently Fantasia was frequently out of COLOR PURPLE on Broadway. Seems she just wasn't used to and/or up for eight performances a week, at least not then and not in that difficult role.

by Anonymousreply 525December 28, 2023 8:51 PM

I don't think Fantasia was frequently out on Broadway but she began missing shows on tour because of throat problems.

Now Jennifer Holliday in Dreamgirls is a whole other story.

by Anonymousreply 526December 28, 2023 8:55 PM

[quote] I am getting a lot of DM’s and posts

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 527December 28, 2023 9:05 PM

Pertinent to our interests.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528December 28, 2023 9:11 PM

Annaleigh has been out of ST all week (so far).

by Anonymousreply 529December 28, 2023 9:25 PM

Sutton and Aaron have good attendance records

by Anonymousreply 530December 28, 2023 9:53 PM

Didn't Ronald Dennis basically rewrite Richie's solo in A CHORUS LINE? I remember him talking about it on SiriusXM years ago, can't remember if he gets royalties for it though.

by Anonymousreply 531December 28, 2023 10:07 PM

Come see Purlie because. Ben Platt liked it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532December 28, 2023 10:08 PM

Sutton Foster never misses a performance. She never gives one either. (With apologies to the wag who originally said that about Marian Seldes in Deathtrap).

by Anonymousreply 533December 28, 2023 10:36 PM

[quote]And Martin had already done three live telecasts of PETER PAN before the 1960 version was recorded on videotape.

Martin had done only two live telecasts prior to the 1960 videotaped version. The first, in March 1955, was so successful that it was remounted for a second live broadcast less than a year later, in January 1956.

by Anonymousreply 534December 28, 2023 10:45 PM

Mentioning Sutton Foster and Marian Seldes in the same sentence should get you banned permanently from DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 535December 28, 2023 10:47 PM

At least when I call out of a show, I tweet about how I destroyed my toilet as proof!

by Anonymousreply 536December 28, 2023 10:48 PM

When I saw The Color Purple on Broadway, Fantasia left after the first act. She didn’t look great - flushed and sweaty. That said, I was exceptionally disappointed. I am a huge fan and couldn’t get into the understudy, even though she was perfectly good.

I do think Fantasia was out a lot. She admitted she was going through a very rough time personally during the run.

by Anonymousreply 537December 28, 2023 11:01 PM

I only saw Fantasia in AFTER MIDNIGHT but she was fabulous! The entire show was and should have run much longer.

by Anonymousreply 538December 28, 2023 11:12 PM

[quote]When I saw The Color Purple on Broadway, Fantasia left after the first act.

Jeez .... not even 75%.

by Anonymousreply 539December 28, 2023 11:19 PM

Not to put too fine a point on it but IMHO Erivo wiped the floor with Fantasia - I saw them both. And from what I’ve seen and heard from the movie Erivo will continue to own Celie.

by Anonymousreply 540December 28, 2023 11:24 PM

Cynthia Erivo sings "Alfie" in tribute to DL icon Dionne Warwick during the Kennedy Center Honors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541December 29, 2023 12:21 AM

But Barrino is nice

by Anonymousreply 542December 29, 2023 12:24 AM

Enrivo doing the blandest Midnight Train to Georgia possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543December 29, 2023 12:46 AM

Cynthia will be to The Color Purple what Jennifer Holliday is to Dreamgirls. Only Theatre Queens will insist they own the role.

by Anonymousreply 544December 29, 2023 12:48 AM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 545December 29, 2023 12:58 AM

I love Erivo’s voice (remarkable onstage in TCP) but she just doesn’t have the kind of voice that make Dionne and Gladys so iconic. In one note you know who is singing with Gladys or Dionne - completely and utterly unique. Even though Erivo is a great singer she’s not instantly identifiable.

by Anonymousreply 546December 29, 2023 1:14 AM

I’m glad I know Jennifer Holliday owns Effie and Erivo owns Celie. If you are trying to say theater doesn’t matter you might be in the wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 547December 29, 2023 1:17 AM

What about ME?

by Anonymousreply 548December 29, 2023 1:44 AM

Sutton owns Millie. Nathan owns Max. Donna owns Fosca. Kelli owns vanilla.

by Anonymousreply 549December 29, 2023 1:54 AM

You were mean to me back in '74, Helen. It still wounds.

by Anonymousreply 550December 29, 2023 1:55 AM

R547, oh, I'm on the right thread because it's so obvious theater queens can't accept that others have opinions that are just as valid. The fact that someone insist that one "owns" a role is the height of theatrical arrogance.

by Anonymousreply 551December 29, 2023 2:00 AM

[quote]Even though Erivo is a great singer she’s not instantly identifiable.

Like me, she doesn't have a sound.

by Anonymousreply 552December 29, 2023 2:42 AM

I may be in the minority, but I thought LaChanse was wonderful in The Color Purple. Then again, the show wasn't very good.

by Anonymousreply 553December 29, 2023 2:52 AM

Barbra owns Fanny. Channing owns Dolly. Merman owns Gypsy. Patti owns Evita. But you probably think Madonna owns Evita because she did it on film. That somehow negates the stage performance - is that what you are on a theater thread positing? I might be arrogant to say Barbra owns Fanny Brice but there won’t be a lot of disagreement on this board at least. There also won’t be a lot of disagreeing over whether or not you are an imbecilic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 554December 29, 2023 2:55 AM

R550 she was mean to me too, that buck toothed bitch.

by Anonymousreply 555December 29, 2023 2:57 AM

[quote]I only saw Fantasia in AFTER MIDNIGHT but she was fabulous! The entire show was and should have run much longer.

R538 - same! Loved that revue. One of the most joyous nights I've had in the theatre. That incredible band, those brilliant dancers, those sublime vocalists, beautifully choregraphed, staged and costumed! MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556December 29, 2023 3:07 AM

Sutton may own Millie, but it's pretty shoddy real estate.

by Anonymousreply 557December 29, 2023 3:11 AM

R554, oooooh, touched a nerve. Go back and finger yourself to Dorothy Collins singing "Losing My Mind" so you can remember she owns the role.

by Anonymousreply 558December 29, 2023 3:20 AM

[quote] I don't think Fantasia was frequently out on Broadway but she began missing shows on tour because of throat problems.

Nope. Fantasia was out of TCP on Broadway for a large number of shows. It was widely discussed both in here and in the press.

by Anonymousreply 559December 29, 2023 4:06 AM

[quote]considering Fantasia replaced her in the show and actually turned it into a hit, you would think she wouldn't want that reminder out there.

Cynthia Errivo turned it into a hit. She got raves and a Tony Award.

And La Chanze is referring to the new movie ad which features "the three original Celies." Whoopi, Fantasia, Cynthia Errivo. But it ignores ORIGINAL stage Celie, also a Tony winner, La Chanze.

by Anonymousreply 560December 29, 2023 5:11 AM

Who own Lorelei Lee?

by Anonymousreply 561December 29, 2023 5:33 AM

[quote] Cynthia Errivo turned it into a hit. She got raves and a Tony Award.

Cynthia Erivo wasn't even in that production, dumb ass.

by Anonymousreply 562December 29, 2023 6:19 AM

[quote]Who own Lorelei Lee?

Ironically, the blonde who did the movie version.

by Anonymousreply 563December 29, 2023 7:44 AM

Hey, what about us men? We own a few roles.

by Anonymousreply 564December 29, 2023 8:51 AM

Who “owns” the MC in Cabaret? Joel or Alan?

by Anonymousreply 565December 29, 2023 9:04 AM

[Quote] Cynthia Errivo turned it into a hit

John Doyle whipped that show into shape

by Anonymousreply 566December 29, 2023 11:20 AM

I’ll never forgive Cynthia for fucking up the lyrics on “ Someone Else’s Story” on the BBC some years ago. And neither will Tim Rice.

by Anonymousreply 567December 29, 2023 12:59 PM

Bajour?

by Anonymousreply 568December 29, 2023 2:15 PM

Hey, remember when the URINETOWN creative team thought they had created a great musical? What happened to them?

by Anonymousreply 569December 29, 2023 2:38 PM

Tim Rice never forgives and never forgets

by Anonymousreply 570December 29, 2023 2:57 PM

Warner Bros’ musical The Color Purple, which was brilliant out of the gate on Christmas Day with an $18.15M gross, boosted by group sales, continues to fall, with Wednesday down 45% from Tuesday to $3.9M at 3,152. Running total through three days stands at $29M, about $10M behind Les Miserables at the same point in time in 2012. That movie ended its domestic run at $148.8M.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571December 29, 2023 3:03 PM

Cynthia has a great voice but she's not a great actress. She's always been strangely wooden/one note in every film she's been in. That Harriet Tubman film required nuance and some comedic timing and she had none.

by Anonymousreply 572December 29, 2023 4:10 PM

"Comedic timing" in Harriet Tubman? Put down the bong, please...

by Anonymousreply 573December 29, 2023 4:16 PM

[quote]That Harriet Tubman film required nuance and some comedic timing and she had none.

Big mistake. HUGE.

by Anonymousreply 574December 29, 2023 4:25 PM

R573 You are right, perhaps comedic timing is the wrong word. It was meant to be a superhero movie and treat her like comic book action figure, per the director. There were moments that required a bit of a punchline or ironic delivery and her face was just...blank.

by Anonymousreply 575December 29, 2023 4:33 PM

Cynthia has dead eyes like Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 576December 29, 2023 4:44 PM

Who will be brave enough to start a new thread?

by Anonymousreply 577December 29, 2023 4:48 PM

Only Julia Roberts has the emotion AND comedic timing required to bring Harriet Tubman to life on screen.

by Anonymousreply 578December 29, 2023 5:23 PM

[quote] Who will be brave enough to start a new thread?

Hopefully not R578

by Anonymousreply 579December 29, 2023 5:26 PM

Erivo was disappointingly terrible in the TV Aretha series

by Anonymousreply 580December 29, 2023 7:01 PM

I get the point about Erivo. There's just something very humorless about her persona. I'll be very curious to see how she scores with WICKED. Seems like major miscasting to me.

by Anonymousreply 581December 29, 2023 7:39 PM

Only R579 has the emotion AND comedic timing required to start a new thread...

by Anonymousreply 582December 29, 2023 7:41 PM

[quote]Cynthia Erivo wasn't even in that production, dumb ass.

She opened it! Fantasia took over when she left.

by Anonymousreply 583December 29, 2023 8:11 PM

Sorry, no. Fantasia took over in the original production. Erivo opened the revival in London and then came her to open on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 584December 29, 2023 8:17 PM

Fantasia took over for LaChanze in the original production of the musical. Erivo played Celie in the revival - two very different productions.

by Anonymousreply 585December 29, 2023 8:20 PM

There were eight different women who followed La Chanze in TCP, and Fantasia was well down on the list, chronologically. She got good reviews for herself, but she hardly turned it into a hit.

Cynthia Erivo got raves for herself and for the show itself.

by Anonymousreply 586December 29, 2023 8:32 PM

R586, that's complete revisionist history. Fantasia got some of the best reviews I've ever seen. Clive Barnes and John Simon gave the kind of raves performers dream of. Even Barbara Cook said her performance was the most thrilling she'd ever seen. The reviews alone were enough to turn the show into a sold out hit and that was not the case before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587December 29, 2023 10:41 PM

The reviews for Fantasia's Celie are reproduced in their entirety starting on Page 6 of the Broadway World forums. Saying "she got good reviews for herself" is a ridiculous understatement. And virtually every review says she elevated the material.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588December 29, 2023 10:50 PM

I still wish Fantasia had been cast as Effie in the "Dreamgirls" movie.

by Anonymousreply 589December 29, 2023 11:03 PM

[quote]I get the point about Erivo. There's just something very humorless about her persona. I'll be very curious to see how she scores with WICKED. Seems like major miscasting to me.

I like Idina Menzel, but it's not as if she's a paragon of humor herself.

by Anonymousreply 590December 29, 2023 11:10 PM

New thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591December 29, 2023 11:28 PM

SUFFS!

by Anonymousreply 592December 29, 2023 11:30 PM

O.K., r591, that's pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 593December 29, 2023 11:32 PM

Cynthia is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 594December 29, 2023 11:58 PM

You're one to spit.

by Anonymousreply 595December 30, 2023 12:06 AM

Girls, GIRLS! You're all cunts!

by Anonymousreply 596December 30, 2023 12:41 AM

Oh god…the thread’s walls are closing in!

by Anonymousreply 597December 30, 2023 12:44 AM

almost

by Anonymousreply 598December 30, 2023 12:46 AM

midnight

by Anonymousreply 599December 30, 2023 12:46 AM

BAJOUR!!!

by Anonymousreply 600December 30, 2023 12:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!