Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Woman is being prosecuted for having a miscarriage on the toilet

WTF?

Screw you, Ohio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2024 9:38 PM

The flippant answer is "see what happens when you let them have shoes and leave the kitchen"!

But that's also at the heart of what this is about. They are attempting to set the precedent that unless a woman does everything (or nothing) in her power to crank out healthy babies then she will be treated as a failure.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2023 6:32 PM

Let it be said again: today's Republicans are evil.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2023 6:35 PM

……but her EMAILS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2023 6:37 PM

Sad. Sad. Sad. What crime did she commit? Are the prosecution arguing she purposely miscarried. This doesn’t make sense. The baby has died already. She is simultaneously pretty and homely looking lol. I know it’s weird. She looks 19, not 33.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2023 6:38 PM

R3 To Every fucking regular but normal type person that usually votes Dem but stayed home in 2016 and advocated that she is equally as bad as the orange one., here’s a message for you:

THERE IS NOT A GREASE FIRE HOT ENOUGH IN THE THORNS OF HELL.

I hate the Orange one. I won’t even speak the name anymore. I fucking hate him.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2023 6:40 PM

[quote]What crime did she commit?

R4, abuse of a corpse. I guess she tried to flush it. I can't even imagine. 22 weeks is a five month old fetus. That is pretty much a baby. My sister in law had a miscarriage 5 months along. She had to go to the hospital. I can't imagine one on the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2023 7:07 PM

I don’t understand why she would try to flush it down the toilet and she purposely did something to miscarry. She is 33 not 16. This is weird but also a draconian law.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2023 7:35 PM

With proper medical treatment, a premie baby can survive at 22 weeks. There's a gray area of "viability" at 22 weeks. However, pathology determined this baby died before it passed the birth canal. So, it was stillborn, which still needs to legally be reported as a death the same as any other person. The death of a baby in-utero at or after 20 weeks of pregnancy is legally considered a stillbirth in the US, not a miscarriage. That is why this trial is happening.

They should acquit, though, because...come on, her baby died ffs. She probably didn't know what to do. Our justice system chooses the absolute worst situations to exercise pragmatism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2023 7:41 PM

R8 Oh ok I see. Prosecutors are just doing their job. I hope the jury nullifies.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2023 7:44 PM

Mommy fell asleep on the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2023 7:44 PM

r9 The assistant prosecutor didn't seem at all enthused to even attempt to win the case the way he was stammering over his statement. He and the judge seemed to be just going through the legal motions, to me.

I highly doubt any jury would issue a guilty verdict in this case. It's almost like a formality at this point similar to when families of victims attack the person who harmed their family member in court and get arrested. Being "charged" is not the same as being "convicted."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2023 8:08 PM

R11 I think the prosecutor is just nervous and not an eloquent speaker. Outside of LA and NY, prosecutors are just highly motivated people, not great public speakers or even that dam smart. Law & Order got you hoes perceptions fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2023 9:37 PM

Why is this poor woman having to go through this barbaric process is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2023 9:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2023 9:57 PM

These stories enrage me, this woman needs counseling to help her deal with trauma of having to push out a dead baby on a toilet but instead the state is trying to punish her.

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2023 10:42 PM

Fuck the prosecutors. Thy have discretion and these charges never needed to be brought. I hope they rot.

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2023 10:51 PM

[quote] I think the prosecutor is just nervous

r12 He just ought to be nervous. This entire case is bullshit at its core. Sometimes I wonder how lawyers sleep at night.

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2023 11:35 PM

[quote] Sometimes I wonder how lawyers sleep at night.

Just fine

New Orleans flooded today….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2023 11:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2023 11:17 PM

Only in America.

What the fuck happened to your country?

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2023 11:19 PM

I can understand why people are upset, but you must understand that there are laws that govern the treatment of human remains.

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2023 2:17 AM

R21 well if you go jump to the nearest grease fire we promise not to shove your remains down the toilet... probably

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2023 3:14 AM

GOP wants to cut taxes and watch you take a shit, excuse my French.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2023 3:25 AM

R21 it was something passing out of her body; every woman has passed huge lumpy clots during her period, the fetus had already died and would have started to be reabsorbed into the body, it wouldn’t have looked like a tiny perfect infant, just a bloody, clumpy mess.

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2023 5:00 AM

The fact is most women flush after having a miscarriage on the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2023 5:20 AM

"That's probably where she conceived, too..."

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2023 5:59 AM

They want complete control over all semen and their byproducts

by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2023 7:00 AM

[quote]the fetus had already died and would have started to be reabsorbed into the body, it wouldn’t have looked like a tiny perfect infant, just a bloody, clumpy mess.

r24 This is not true for stillbirths which at this stage of pregnancy was the case. It wasn't legally or medically considered a miscarriage because she was 22 weeks along. It was stillborn which makes this even more tragic.

See the below video for an idea of what the baby actually looked like. It wouldn't have been a "clumpy mess." I had a cousin and aunt who also had still births around that same stage, the babies looked like very tiny premie babies. Even though this trial is BS, it's still disrespectful to the mother to say her baby would've "just been a clumpy mess." She clearly wanted it and is devastated she lost it. This stupid trial adds insult to injury.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2023 9:44 AM

Re, R19:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2023 4:51 PM

Buck would never have an abortion on a toilet

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2023 5:21 PM

[quote] This is not true for stillbirths which at this stage of pregnancy was the case. It wasn't legally or medically considered a miscarriage because she was 22 weeks along.

That’s the thing. One minute the woman was by herself, and the next minute there was a dead body in the room with her, and the laws regarding the handling of human remains kicks in. Whether it’s a stillborn, or your 90 year old grandmother, if you have a dead body in your house you have to follow the law.

If anything, this could be a teachable moment and bring attention to educating mothers-to-be on what to do if they have a stillborn at home.

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2023 7:04 PM

R31 lol fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2023 7:55 PM

Re R19 & R29

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 8, 2023 12:37 AM

Free to infect, free to grift, free to control.

by Anonymousreply 34December 8, 2023 12:41 AM

Man, this is getting ridiculous. It's like Handmaid's Tale IRL. Vote! Stop this nonsense!

by Anonymousreply 35December 8, 2023 12:58 AM

R19

A judge overruled that, thankfully. It’s an outrage it even came to that.

by Anonymousreply 36December 8, 2023 2:15 AM

R33

He’s truly evil.

(And not from Texas, I hasten to add.)

by Anonymousreply 37December 8, 2023 2:18 AM

We will just leave it the states, problem solved. Or what I really mean is my problem gone.

by Anonymousreply 38December 8, 2023 2:25 AM

The hospital sent her home. Clearly they weren’t concerned over what was going to happen to the remains. This is insane

by Anonymousreply 39December 8, 2023 6:07 AM

What are they supposed to do, send her home with a dead baby?

by Anonymousreply 40December 8, 2023 11:12 AM

R40 My sister in law had a five month still born. They ask you if you want it in a box or if you want them to dispose of it.

by Anonymousreply 41December 8, 2023 11:38 AM

If the hospital has been allowed to provide a therapeutic abortion of the fetal remains this never would have happened.

by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2023 12:15 PM

r42 That technically wouldn't be an abortion. That's induction of labor due to intrauterine fetal demise. Abortion terminates the life of the fetus in-utero and then removes the remains. The fetus was already dead, here.

Not sure if the hospital identified the death and then referred her to her OB to schedule an induction of the remains, but that's usually how that's done, I think.

by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2023 3:45 PM

Inducing labor to remove a dead fetus is cruel and much riskier to the woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 8, 2023 4:14 PM

r44 I honestly think it's cruel to recommend only a D&E in this case as opposed to the woman in question being given the choice to actually have her dead baby delivered in-tact. Yes, there is more risk with induced labor, but I wouldn't automatically say it's cruel outright. What's cruel is not being given the choice on how to handle a very tragic situation.

I, personally, wouldn't choose a D&E to remove the baby because I would want my dead child to be delivered in-tact as opposed to being ripped apart limb from limb out of my body. The remaining tissue can be removed with a D&C. Other's may choose differently.

Bottom line, the lack of choice is cruel. And restricting doctor's access to the drugs prescribed to induce labor in the cases of early intrauterine fetal death (i.e. mifepristone and misoprostol) can only result in further harm to mothers. Ohio had this problem, unsurprisingly. Because staunch pro-lifers believe that the drug is always used to end the life of a fetus when it's technically a labor induction drug to end a pregnancy. And in many of these pregnancies, the baby has already died in-utero. But...details.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 8, 2023 4:45 PM

R131. I think you should be required to take your ejaculate to a police every time you masturbate for the rest of your life. Consider this post a teachable moment for you.

by Anonymousreply 46December 8, 2023 4:56 PM

I had an abortion on the toilet once!

But after 19 guys came in my ass, I really had to let it all out somewhere!

by Anonymousreply 47December 17, 2023 12:46 PM

[quote]My sister in law had a five month still born. They ask you if you want it in a box or if you want them to dispose of it.

But no doggy bag?

by Anonymousreply 48December 19, 2023 3:50 AM

Hoping they get to join the 20th Century soon...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 27, 2023 11:11 PM

Luckily, a jury decided not to prosecute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 11, 2024 9:34 PM

No words.

by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2024 9:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!