Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Im a DL Shut-In. Ask Me Anything About British Life.

For a variet ouf reasons, doth emotional and financial, I’ve been unable to leave my Midwestern ranch house for most of the past two decades, but I have watched the complete episodes of The Crown, Downton Abbey, the Oprah interview, and Barbara Walters’s coverage of most of tte recent royal weddings, and my aunt and uncle took an anniversary trip to London in the early 90s.

There shouldn’t be any topics I can’t address—the low quality of British food, the late Queen’s foreign policies, British poverty, how ordinary Britons honor the legacy of Princess Diana in their daily lives, the divine right ouf kings, what life is like in a semi-feudal society, and whether the monarchy will be abolished during or immediately after Charles’s reign.

No subject is off-limits. Fire away—-I’ve got all day.

by Anonymousreply 82December 3, 2023 10:23 PM

Almost, OP. Almost.

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2023 2:18 PM

That’s a good way to end up on a watch list bro

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2023 2:34 PM

R2. You’re with the CiA?

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2023 2:39 PM

Can you give your opinion on the 19th century Corn Laws and the impact on Ireland and England?

Would love to hear your viewpoint.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2023 2:43 PM

R4. Thank for your question. I vaguely recall this from one episode. What was affected? Cream style or regular?

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2023 2:45 PM

R5 - I'm pretty sure Mr. Bean covered the topic in depth - look it up as source material.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2023 2:53 PM

Do we not have any actual Brits here who would be better qualified to field questions?

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2023 2:59 PM

R6. Thank you for the suggestion. I will watch for that next time it is repeated on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2023 3:00 PM

R7. There are Brits here, but they are horribly biased. It is best to rely on an informed and objective outsider.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2023 3:01 PM

The late Queen didn’t have a foreign policy. Everything she said and did was directed by her elected government. That is how constitutional monarchy works. She knew how to keep her opinions to herself, unlike Charles.

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2023 3:08 PM

ouf

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2023 3:08 PM

R10. It’s distressing to hear you say this. I admired her almost more than any other human being. Did she lack initiative?

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2023 3:11 PM

Do you have sizemeat verificacia on the Windsor men?

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2023 3:14 PM

R12, The monarch has enormous influence, but no political power. They are there to uphold the constitution and represent the state, and that includes not taking a public stand against the elected government. The late Queen struggled with Thatcher’s heartless policies but she never said a word about it in public.

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2023 3:21 PM

R14. Yes, I think I remember this from The Crown

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2023 3:23 PM

This might be the most embarrassing thread of all time.

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2023 3:25 PM

Please, it's not even the most embarassing thread in the last hour.

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2023 3:27 PM

R16 just arrived from the Pot v. Alcohol thread.

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2023 3:30 PM

I see that OP has struck too close to home for r16, r1, and several others.

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2023 3:33 PM

Why do British people have such bad teeth? Eating too many Cadburys?

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2023 3:34 PM

R20. I have wondered this too. I believe that socialized medicine is the reason among the lower classes. Among the upper classes they usually rely on their horse’s dentist.

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2023 3:37 PM

This is quite good, but I feel like the aunt and uncle’s trip in the 1990’s just misses the mark. It should have been 1986.

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2023 4:03 PM

What did Amy Winehouse's pussy smell like?

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2023 4:12 PM

R22. That’s very astute of you. They did go for Fergie’s wedding in 86 as well, but I just mentioned the most recent trip so as not to compromise my credibility.

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2023 4:12 PM

This thread is hilarious. Well done, OP.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2023 4:15 PM

Ok, you win, OP. Nicely done.

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2023 4:17 PM

When was the last time there was an attempted assassination on any member of the British monarchy? Which of the living Doctor Who's has the best chance at becoming PM?

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2023 4:22 PM

OP, thank you for starting this thread. What do you think the BRF reaction would have been if Harry had married a colored woman from Italy or another mongrel country?

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2023 4:22 PM

He's a homophile AND an Anglophile!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2023 4:25 PM

What do people there put on French Fries?

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2023 4:25 PM

Should they have started with a Puerto Rican princess before going right to black?

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2023 4:27 PM

Is Shrek real?

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2023 4:28 PM

What percentage of DNA amongst the Royal Family is actually English?

The answer may surprise most people not in the British Isles.

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2023 4:31 PM

I've never taken the time to understand the term 'council flats'.

Is it simply housing subsidized by the government for poor people? Rent-controlled housing? Does it give street-cred to say that you grew up in a council flat? Is it like an American saying they grew up in the projects?

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2023 4:31 PM

R33 you’ll be even more surprised when you learn there’s no such thing as English DNA.

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2023 4:35 PM

R33. Well, I know Harry’s babies aren’t all English. The rest, I’m not sure.

by Anonymousreply 36December 2, 2023 4:36 PM

Editor, BRF thread!

by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2023 4:38 PM

Is it true that the whole point of the titles, Sir & Dame, is to shut up British celebrities from publicly insulting the monarchy once they become famous and influential?

by Anonymousreply 38December 2, 2023 4:43 PM

Why didn't 3 of a Kind have a bigger career?

by Anonymousreply 39December 2, 2023 4:44 PM

Your queen looks like she smells bad and she seems like a cunt. What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2023 4:47 PM

R40, that is a fact!

You have to ask a question.

by Anonymousreply 41December 2, 2023 4:51 PM

Are MI5 and MI6 teaming with Russians? That's the impression I get from every British thriller streaming series I watch.

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2023 4:53 PM

Why do you insist that you are 3 countries on the same island but have no internal border checks and don't have independent passports?

Seems more like provinces or states within a single country than actually 3 separate countries.

I'm hard pressed to think of any other nation that has this weird set up. Or that get so worked up about it.

by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2023 5:06 PM

[quote]Can you give your opinion on the 19th century Corn Laws and the impact on Ireland and England?

Corn Laws? When did I pass Corn Laws?

by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2023 5:10 PM

Please summarize 'The Troubles' in one sentence.

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2023 5:14 PM

[quote] When was the last time there was an attempted assassination on any member of the British monarchy?

Guns were fired at Her late Majesty twice in 1981. Once on a tour of New Zealand by a young man who went on to be accused of another murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2023 5:23 PM

…and in London during Trooping the Colour (but this time the gun fired blanks)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2023 5:27 PM

[quote] Please summarize 'The Troubles' in one sentence.

Edward I invaded Ireland (and Scotland and Wales) in the 13th century and chaos ensued.

by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2023 5:31 PM

R38 and once their leashed and spayed, they become founts for royalty?

by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2023 5:38 PM

[quote]What percentage of DNA amongst the Royal Family is actually English?

I'm harf English!

by Anonymousreply 50December 2, 2023 5:44 PM

[quote] Why do you insist that you are 3 countries on the same island but have no internal border checks and don't have independent passports?

Because we are 3 separate countries on the same island. Wales was invaded and pacified by the English, but never fully accepted the fact, and Scotland was invaded multiple times, but managed to free itself several times and retain national sovereignty.

After the Union of Crowns, the monarch and English establishment were keen to unify the country along the lines you seem to think are more normal, but that would have subjugated Scots law and the Church of Scotland to the primacy of English institutions.

For a century after the Union of Crowns, Scotland remained a separate political and economic entity, and was in most ways not shown any preference by England or its evolving empire.

By the early 18th century, England wanted to bind Scotland into the Union for security reasons (to secure a protestant succession, and thwart the Jacobites) and Scotland wanted access to imperial markets, but only if the rights of its church (in particular no imposition of bishops) and it’s system of law was respected. That’s why King Charles’ first act at the Accession Council was to swear to protect the rights of the Church of Scotland.

[quote] I'm hard pressed to think of any other nation that has this weird set up.

Hmm, check out Belgium if you really want to see chaos. Or the attempts to reinstate the Kingdom of Savoy. And those are only 2 of the more peaceful examples. If you don’t allow for people’s regional/ national sensibilities, you end up with more violent attempts to be heard (Catalonia, the Basque separatists)…

[quote] Or that get so worked up about it.

Scotland has less than 10% of the population’s of England. Wales has even fewer people. If Scotland and Wales were not good at getting worked up about politics, both nations would have been subsumed by England long ago.

by Anonymousreply 51December 2, 2023 5:51 PM

R33. I don’t know how much English DNA they have, but I know the last Queen regnant of Scotland was half Scots.

by Anonymousreply 52December 2, 2023 5:51 PM

[quote]and Scotland was invaded multiple times,

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 53December 2, 2023 6:01 PM

Why does the Union Jack incorporate the flags/symbols of England, Scotland, and Ireland, but not Wales?

by Anonymousreply 54December 2, 2023 6:03 PM

The modern royals are boring as shit, so no. I've studied the past royals due to being a history buff but anything after Fat George the IV is a snooze including the porcine Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 55December 2, 2023 6:05 PM

I've got load of English DNA on my face right now. Is Best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 2, 2023 6:08 PM

R51 - yes, we know - but it does seem like regional sensibilities - Belgium doesn't insist that their regions are individual countries. Many nations have areas that are culturally unique, including language, that makes them stick out from the rest of the country - but they don't call themselves separate nations.

It just seems like pandering. Characteristics of a nation include sovereignty and a single government - but that's not a fit here under the political union of the United Kingdom that rules them.

You can't get upset when people on the outside look at this set-up and go...wait, huh? Nations?

by Anonymousreply 57December 2, 2023 6:13 PM

[quote] Why does the Union Jack incorporate the flags/symbols of England, Scotland, and Ireland, but not Wales?

Because at the time of the Act of Union, Wales was a principality, whereas Scotland, England and Ireland were all kingdoms.

by Anonymousreply 58December 2, 2023 6:18 PM

OP is wearing a tiara as he types.

by Anonymousreply 59December 2, 2023 6:21 PM

[quote] Belgium doesn't insist that their regions are individual countries. Many nations have areas that are culturally unique, including language, that makes them stick out from the rest of the country - but they don't call themselves separate nations.

“Belgian” as a national identity is only 150 years old and the nation is constantly on the verge of splitting up.

England and Scotland were, separate, independent political entities for at least 500 years before the Act of Union, with their own legislatures and religious traditions, and neither of them wanted to give them up. The Act of Union was only possible by regarding Scotland and England as separate entities which were entering into a treaty to pool sovereignty and which were not fully merging into something new and unrecogniseable.

by Anonymousreply 60December 2, 2023 6:27 PM

There is so English DNA! 23andMe says.

by Anonymousreply 61December 2, 2023 6:30 PM

R57. Nations? What are you talking about? The United Kingdom is one nation. There are multiple countries but only one nation. Why, other than your misunderstanding of, is that so odd?

These are ancient countries that were once separate but were brought together in one kingdom/nation. It’s certainly not weirder than the US system that created fifty states with their own governments despite having no separate histories.

by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2023 6:32 PM

R19, r1 here. If you can't detect the OP's parody, then I can't help you. I was only pointing out to the OP that I thought it wasn't 100% successful. So you misread us both.

by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2023 6:35 PM

R63. People seem to disagree with you.

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2023 6:37 PM

Life is a banquet, OP, and you've stapled your stomach shut.

by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2023 6:39 PM

Hi OP. Can you tell us more about your average day as a shut-in? What time do you wake up? What do you eat? Do you have any friends or family you keep in touch with? Do you go to the doctor?

by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2023 6:50 PM

R64, You can't count, either. One person.

by Anonymousreply 67December 2, 2023 7:54 PM

OP, have you thought of maybe getting a rescue dog?

by Anonymousreply 68December 2, 2023 7:55 PM

I get Petula Clark and Lulu confused. Any tips for telling them apart?

by Anonymousreply 69December 2, 2023 7:58 PM

What are your caftans made of?

by Anonymousreply 70December 2, 2023 8:04 PM

Is the Play Pit still operating in London?

by Anonymousreply 71December 2, 2023 10:23 PM

Why does Grest Britain get to have 4 different football teams in international competitions? Let's give the US 50 different teams.

by Anonymousreply 72December 2, 2023 10:55 PM

Liz and Maggie both were turkey baster babies.

by Anonymousreply 73December 2, 2023 10:59 PM

Which of the royal household is the best in bed. And was Diana Frigid ?

by Anonymousreply 74December 2, 2023 11:34 PM

[quote] I was only pointing out to the OP that I thought it wasn't 100% successful.

Because it struck too close to home. You seem somewhat limited.

by Anonymousreply 75December 3, 2023 4:16 PM

I went to Manchester. Even google translate couldn’t decider the speech into English . Why.

by Anonymousreply 76December 3, 2023 4:30 PM

R76. Apparently, it can’t decipher your own either. :)

by Anonymousreply 77December 3, 2023 6:04 PM

I think OP is a stupid arse!

by Anonymousreply 78December 3, 2023 9:41 PM

Ya, OP 'can't be arsed' to follow through on his original and publicly stated intention to respond to any and all questions.

by Anonymousreply 79December 3, 2023 9:57 PM

OP who do people in North Wales hate more - muslims, The English, people from West Wales or South Wales?

by Anonymousreply 80December 3, 2023 10:00 PM

Whatever happened to your 40 day PM? The one who should never have been left alone with the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 81December 3, 2023 10:22 PM

“A spot of tea, Mum???”

by Anonymousreply 82December 3, 2023 10:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!