Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chan Marshall, the singer-songwriter also known as Cat Power

Were you or are you a fan? Given that she's just released a live album performing Bob Dylan's 1966 Royal Albert Hall Concert, I went back and started listening to her discography again after not having done so in a number of years—there are so many beautiful gems in her catalogue. Her first few albums mainly consist of spare, haunting indie rock, but even back then she had a penchant for doing covers of other artists (Hank Williams, This Kind of Punishment, Tom Waits). Her renditions of other artists' songs are always devastatingly beautiful. She seems like a mercurial and troubled person (long history of alcoholism, and possibly schizophrenia), but a powerful and soulful artist. Her cover of "Dark End of the Street" might be my favorite rendition of that song. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2023 6:53 AM

Why do you say schizophrenic? I haven't listened in a while but she's talented. I like her old darker indie stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2023 3:18 AM

I only know of her from this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2023 3:19 AM

R1 this interview made me wonder

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2023 3:22 AM

R3 I see why you say that. Schizophrenia... I'd never seen her in interview before.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2023 2:41 PM

r3 Her stream of consciousness talking brings to mind a sedated Courtney Love.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2023 2:47 PM

Her song Cross-Bone Style is one of my all time favorites. She also does a wonderful cover of Sea of Love. I've heard that she's had breakdowns on stage...

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2023 10:47 PM

The Dylan tribute album didn’t enthrall but her album The Greatest is terrific.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2023 11:05 PM

I actually think her first six albums are phenomenal, but I've never totally warmed to The Greatest, which is probably her most acclaimed and popular record to date. For some reason her darker earlier stuff appeals to my sensibilities more. That being said, her vocals have really developed in the last two decades—they're much richer and smokier, very velvety on the ears. Some of the singing on her earlier work, though haunting and effective, was not exactly proficient. I think part of this was probably nerves, as she is a notoriously shy and nervous performer.

"Metal Heart" from Moon Pix is a standout tearjerker for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2023 4:08 AM

R4 yeah, when she started veering off into a rant about concentration camps in Glendale at the end, the alarm bells start sounding for me. That is very much schizoaffective talk, or at least paranoia and delusion. She says it herself in that interview that she's been institutionalized in psychiatric hospitals in the past.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2023 4:11 AM

A lot of her early stuff is very mysterious and a bit spooky (in a good way, though)... I've always wondered what this song was about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2023 4:18 AM

Love her. Such an emotional voice. I played Moon Pix to death. Saw her in concert in 2010 and it was a bit awkward and low-energy, but at least she finished her set. (I was late for the beginning of her set because I was hooking up with a cute guy I met at the bar - I think Chan would approve.)

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2023 5:37 AM

Damn that interview at R3 was too uncomfortable for me. She does not sound well.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2023 6:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!