Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When I was a kid in the 80's there was a TV movie about Alzheimers. It was the first mention of it that I remember.

Granted I didn't know a ton of elderly people outside of family and friends, but have the rates just skyrocketed? It seems like every 4th person I know is dealing with a parent that has it. I'm hearing a lot more about early Alzheimers and it seems like it's hitting the famous community particularly hard. I have a lot of older customers at my job and I'm sad to watch them exhibit signs of it. What are the stats? What causes it?

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2023 6:11 PM

It's because people are living a lot longer.

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2023 4:23 PM

Which famous community would that be? Pacific Heights? Pacoima? 29 Palms?

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2023 4:29 PM

When I was a kid in I thought it was "Oldtimer's Disease."

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2023 4:49 PM

When I was a kid I thought it was...what were we talking about?

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2023 5:15 PM

Are you talking about that TV movie with Shirley Jones and Len Cariou OP

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2023 5:19 PM

I feel like I would've remembered known if the mom from The Partridge Family was in it, maybe it was this one? Starring Joanne Woodward, which is a little ironic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2023 9:50 PM

I do remember she set the kitchen on fire.

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2023 9:50 PM

Op are you sure those aren’t just past memories and not a movie?

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2023 10:33 PM

There’s more people who are at a ripe age for Alzheimer’s…Baby boomers

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2023 10:40 PM

Plaques in the brain.

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2023 12:51 AM

Did you know there's a strong correlation with Herpes Simplex virus and Alzheimers?

(the more you know rainbow)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2023 12:56 AM

'Early-onset dementia and Alzheimer’s disease affects a growing number of younger commercially insured Americans. In 2017, about 131,000 people between the ages of 30 and 64 were diagnosed with either form of dementia. Diagnosis rates increased by 200% from 2013-2017 in ages 30 to 64.'

colon cancer is way up too, millenials are having a lot of health problems. microplastics, phones, herbicides and insecticides, hormones in food and water, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2023 1:02 AM

That's terrifying, but not surprising

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2023 1:06 AM

The BCBS piece is lamentably unhelpful--no discussion of possible causes of increasing early-onset dementia, or even correlation between dementia and lifestyle, environmental, and other factors. What good does this terrible information do for me in the absence of any ideas about prevention?

Don't tell me what's wrong without telling me how I might fix it!

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2023 1:24 AM

I think it’s just Boomers trying to one-up Gen Z self diagnosing with spectrum disorders.

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2023 1:28 AM

R11, my link beats yours!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2023 1:31 AM

I saw that link r16.

But it's TEXAS. So, nope. Wouldn't trust a link from an org based in TX as far as i could throw them.

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2023 1:37 AM

Wait, what link? What was that? Herbert, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2023 1:47 AM

Just to let you guys know, she's Still Alice and sends her love.

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2023 6:04 PM

Is this the TV movie you remember?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2023 6:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!