Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2023 NYFCC Winners

Best First Film: “Past Lives”

Best Animated Feature: “The Boy and the Heron”

Best Non-Fiction Feature: “Menus-Plaisirs — Les Troisgros”

Best Supporting Actor: Charles Melton, “May December”

Best Supporting Actress: Da’Vine Joy Randolph, “The Holdovers”

Best Cinematography: Hoyte van Hoytema, “Oppenheimer”

Best International Film: “Anatomy of a Fall”

Best Screenplay: “May December”

Best Actor: Franz Rogowski, “Passages”

Best Actress: Lily Gladstone, “Killers of the Flower Moon”

Best Director: Christopher Nolan, “Oppenheimer”

Best Film: “Killers of the Flower Moon”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2024 7:22 PM

Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2023 6:50 PM

Charles Melton certainly has come a long way from his underwear model early days… is it true he gained a significant amount of weight for this role? Perhaps that sort of commitment - particularly with someone with a body as amazing as his was/is (?) - contributed to the committee being so impressed by his performance. Has anyone seen May/December yet?

by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2023 7:51 PM

Sorry but I watched May December and I am not getting the hype around him. You could literally see him acting. It’s bizarre.

Natalie Portman was exquisite though.

by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2023 7:53 PM

Not to mention I find his face so unattractive

by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2023 7:53 PM

Someone somewhere has decided to make Melton happen and we just have to go along with it. Same with Butler last year, foisted on us after coming out of nowhere. I for one would like to visit this ingenue factory and speak to the manager.

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2023 8:02 PM

Butler didn’t come out of nowhere and gave a star making performance in a big studio film that made $$$. That isn’t the case with Melton. And he isn’t gonna happen outside of indie awards and maybe Globes and Critics Choice. Doubt he’s getting in at Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2023 8:04 PM

Butler absolutely came out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2023 8:09 PM

No. He didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2023 8:11 PM

R5, I suppose you preferred the weepy "Comeback From Nowhere" Brendan Fraser?

Or the Paul "Out of Nowhere" Mescal nominee?

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2023 8:21 PM

R7, What's your point, even were Austin Butler not in "OUATIH"? Or got the SOLE positive review from the New Yorker as "the only actor" in the Denzel production of "The Iceman Cometh"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2023 8:26 PM

If "KOTFM" wins the AA for BP, it's the Academy once more favoring either a cultural minority, social outcast, or victim.

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2023 8:30 PM

R9 doesn’t know what out of nowhere means. Paul Mescal wasn’t an out of nowhere nominee. He was nominated and won numerous indie awards and there was Oscars buzz for him since the movie premiered. He also was an Emmy and Critics Choice nominee before Aftersun.

Brendan Fraser was out of nowhere? The only nominee that could be considered out of nowhere last year was the actress who was nominated for Best Actress without any nominations for any other award prior.

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2023 8:39 PM

R11 or a well made film….

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2023 8:39 PM

R12, Fine. Whatever. But as for your one point---"there was Oscars buzz for [Paul] since the move premiered"---

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2023 7:11 PM

R2 The NY Times listed May/December as one of the year's 10 best films.

"In this unsettling, perverse movie about that performance called life, an actress, Elizabeth (Natalie Portman), visits the inspiration for her next movie. That would be Gracie (Julianne Moore), a homemaker who likes to bake cakes and happens to be an ex-con, having been imprisoned for having sex with an underage boy she later wed. (A terrific Charles Melton plays her tragic husband.). Things get very complicated, and then crushingly sad." (Stream it on Netflix)

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2023 8:37 PM

I couldn't wait for Killers of the Flower Moon to end. It's an hour too long and tedious; it makes the same point repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2023 8:39 PM

I watched May December today and thought it was terrific. All three leads were outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2023 9:02 PM

R13 It is well-made but . . .

In the end, I recommend seeing it, but I think 'Killers of the Flower Moon' is the kind of movie you respect and admire without much actual enjoyment.-Rex Reed

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2023 11:12 PM

I haven't heard of any of these movies except one.

I thought the Super Mario movie was really good, though.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2023 11:19 PM

I really don’t get all the hype surrounding Lily Gladstone. Sorry but she wasn’t that good.

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2023 11:28 PM

She's indigenous, r20. That's all there is to get.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2023 11:38 PM

Maybe next year.

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2023 12:11 AM

I saw May December and loved it. Except for Melton.

Have always loved Julianne Moore, and she was beyond brilliant again.

Have never loved Natalie Portman, but she knocked it out of the park as the synthetic actress grasping for "authenticity." Her monologue in the mirror was Oscar-worthy.

Melton was just meh. I truly do not get the acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2023 12:21 AM

You could literally see Melton acting. It’s weird how he’s getting all this acclaim for a performance that looks like someone performing.

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2023 12:24 AM

I thought Melton was quite good. He nailed the childlike and stunted nature of his role.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2023 1:52 AM

Lily Gladstone was the best part of Killers of the Flower Moon.

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2023 1:53 AM

Yes but still overrated. Her performance was her sick in bed most of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2023 1:55 AM

I never miss a Franz Rogowski film.

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2023 2:00 AM

I’m more shocked people actually find Melton attractive. He has such an ugly face.

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2023 8:15 PM

Charles Melton did a good job and do I think he can sneak into getting an Oscar nomination? Yes. Will he win an Oscar? The performances of RDJ and Ryan Gosling aren’t nominated at most of these indie awards because they aren’t in indie flicks. The critics circles will be kind to him but the mainstream awards will go to RDJ or Gosling. MAYBE Ruffalo will finally get a win for Poor Things.

There are many many performances in contention for BSActor.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2023 9:42 PM

Ruffalo is one good actor, I'll be rooting for him.

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2023 9:55 PM

[quote]Yes but still overrated. Her performance was her sick in bed most of the movie.

Naomi Watts spent most of her limited screen time comatose in THE IMPOSSIBLE yet was Oscar-nominated ++ for Best Actress, to boot!

The film is really about her son Tom Holland's quest to find his family in the aftermath of the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami.

His parents Watts and Ewan McGregor are supporting roles.

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2023 10:05 PM

R32 and McGregor's performance was more impressive than Watts', but he was overlooked come awards time.

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2023 10:09 PM

Because supporting categories are always more stacked than lead categories r33

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2023 10:31 PM

The Prince of Tides was nominated for 7 Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Adapted Screenplay, so it's surprising that she didn't get a direction nod.

by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2024 7:08 PM

It's shocking that it was a nominee for Best Picture R35

TV Guide Magazine

As star, director and co-producer, Streisand shifts the book's focus from the Wingo past to the Tom-Susan love affair. This could have worked had Streisand directed herself better--if, indeed, she had directed herself at all. Instead of a performance, we get smirks, poses, campy shots that linger on her outrageously long manicured fingernails, and radiant, cloying smiles. Streisand's inadequacies, though, are more than compensated for by Nolte's compelling Tom. He brings conviction and depth to the role, treading a fine line between self-pity and self-respect and exposing his frailties with a rare sensitivity.

by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2024 7:18 PM

Oops, wrong thread!

But thanks for that, R36.

by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2024 7:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!