Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Name 3 Dishes You Should Order Rather Than Making Yourself

I'll start, please add....there are many more.

Eggs Benedict (got have great skill to produce the Hollandaise. It’s a bitch working with egg yokes)......Croissants ( laminations, and the bitch of rolling out a very thin dough makes it time consuming and hit and miss)........Baked Alaska ( nightmare to make, combining cold ice cream, a meringue layer, and baking a sponge cake in the oven with all those ingredients on top. Impossible to make at home).....Honorable mentions: Beef Wellington, Sushi, and Tortellini

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 1, 2023 11:39 PM

No contributions to the thread, but for this wafer thin dinner mint..

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2023 12:16 AM

I don't deep fry at home. Don't want that heavy oil funk filling the kitchen. I know you can avoid that with an air fryer, but we've avoided getting one because fried foods should be eaten only rarely in any case ...

by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2023 12:18 AM

Ratatouille: so many steps if you want the distinct flavors Julia Childs dictates.

by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2023 12:19 AM

If it isn't easy, I don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2023 12:20 AM

Most Vietnamese food; I don't have the herbs or the patience.

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2023 12:26 AM

Pizza

by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2023 12:28 AM

Egg *yolks*, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2023 12:29 AM

Hot dogs,

by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2023 12:30 AM

I was just going to say Thai food, R5. I’ve had Indian down pat for twenty but the few times I tried to make Thai it hasn’t gone well. I can’t taste the fish sauce in restaurant Thai food, but when I add it to homemade Thai food it tastes like ass!

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2023 12:30 AM

Sausages

by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2023 12:30 AM

Baked Alaska is the easiest of all "fancy" desserts to prepare. Bake (or purchase) a pound cake; slice it. Buy some vanilla ice cream; scoop it. Whip up some egg whites and sugar; dollop liberally. Turn on the broiler; toast the whole mess. Voila! Baked Alaska.

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2023 12:32 AM

Fried chicken

Burgers

anything fried

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2023 12:32 AM

Fugu

Pizza

Pho

The worst casserole ever.

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2023 12:38 AM

Soufflé

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2023 12:44 AM

Anything deep fried.

Fried in a pan … sure, I won’t do it, but other, more competent cooks, can.

Dropping breaded chicken in a pot of boiling hot lard, in a home kitchen, is at the very least asking for a difficult cleaning process. Not to mention the airing out of the house.

i know people did it 50 years ago, but some things are better left to “professionals” these days. or at least teenagers with access to deep frying equipment.

i would add crepes and eggs benedict.

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2023 1:04 AM

Agree about fried chicken, even though I have a fantastic recipe, but it is time-consuming, messy, and makes the house stink for days after. Really, anything that is deep fried.

Prime rib is always better at a (good) restaurant than it is at home. But I'll put my standing rib roast up against any restaurants.

Coq au vin, or anything that is braised. It takes way too long at home.

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2023 1:13 AM

Fried seafood - for reasons too soon and too long evident if you ever have

Fried chicken - as above

(Fresh) Pasta - I like that I know how to make tagliolini or gnocchi, for instance, and I enjoyed making it a few times. Now, though, I have access to excellent freshly made stuff from shops that do it for you, and very well.

Steaks - Not something I ever order if I have a choice, so I'm not instigating a major kitchen cleaning for a dish that's far from a favorite.

Indian food - I love it, but there are only a few relatively simple main dishes I make at home. The range if ingredients and the timing of adding various sources and some of the hot oil requirements for breads and small plates...I still to a few classic chicken or vegetarian dishes that are more or less one-pot meals plus some rice and a simple bread and side dish

by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2023 1:26 AM

Steaks. You can only get great perfect steak at a bona fide steak house like smith and Wolensky and Keen's

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2023 6:02 AM

Dim sum in general - A group of friends and I would go out Sundays for dim sum to soothe our hangovers. I could make some of those things at home, but I'd rather have people roll carts by the table so we could point out tasty looking dishes.

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2023 6:03 AM

tuna salad

quesadillas

French fries

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2023 6:41 AM

spaghetti w/meatballs

pancakes/waffles

stuffed chicken breast

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2023 11:02 PM

cereal

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2023 11:09 PM

Ditto on deep fried not at home. Too messy. Who wants all that grease on the walls. Crepes are easy at home. Actually never had them in a restaurant. I like making those Italian crepes /manicotti with ricotta for Christmas, that’s as far as my Christmas spirit will go.

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2023 11:17 PM

Tamales. I understand they're a shit ton of work.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2023 11:23 PM

If you're making a big batch of ratatouille and then freezing it, it's worth it. I used to do this every fall, using my garden produce - oven roasting all the vegetables individually, then combining and further reducing. It was great because in this form, the flavors were intensified and it's endlessly versatile. You could just add it to pizza, or in sandwiches, or layers in lasagna. But making ratatouille for a single meal or two... no. It is a lot of work.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2023 11:25 PM

Fried chicken

by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2023 10:48 PM

Seafood poboy, pizza, fried chicken

by Anonymousreply 27December 1, 2023 10:54 PM

A Reuben sandwich. You have to buy the corned beef, Swiss cheese, marble rye and sauerkraut. I make my own Russian dressing.

I could get one delivered for $25 or buy the ingredients to make four of them and cook 'em at home for the same amount of money. But I only need one.

Fried chicken and pizza. The people who make it do it for a living. They do it better.

by Anonymousreply 28December 1, 2023 11:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!