Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If you had to guess, how do you think you will die?

Alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 120December 1, 2023 2:17 PM

I would guess either coronary artery disease or suicide, my father died of a Abdominal aortic aneurysm, my mother died after heart bypass surgery and my brother died of suicide. I am not at all suicidal but if I was facing the prospect of a long debilitating illness with little to no chance of recovery I would have no problem ending it all.

by Anonymousreply 1November 28, 2023 8:17 PM

Cancer or suicide.

by Anonymousreply 2November 28, 2023 8:22 PM

Alone and forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 3November 28, 2023 8:39 PM

Car accident.

by Anonymousreply 4November 28, 2023 8:53 PM

Given the medical outcomes in the US, I'd say: cancer, heart attack, or stroke if some other organ shut down doesn't come first. I hope it's in my sleep, if it's a sudden thing and I don't have to go through grueling months or years. I may chicken out, and take myself out, if the latter occurs.

by Anonymousreply 5November 28, 2023 8:55 PM

Car crash.

by Anonymousreply 6November 28, 2023 8:56 PM

This reminds me of an old joke.

I hope to die in my sleep like my grandfather did, and not screaming in panic like the passengers in his car.

by Anonymousreply 7November 28, 2023 8:56 PM

R6 Texas?

by Anonymousreply 8November 28, 2023 8:58 PM

Ennui

by Anonymousreply 9November 28, 2023 8:59 PM

Self inflicted gunshot wound.

by Anonymousreply 10November 28, 2023 8:59 PM

I've been diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia. My doctors give me four to ten years, and I'll need assisted care in the final two years.

by Anonymousreply 11November 28, 2023 9:00 PM

Grief over the recent death of my husband of 31 years. I just cant see getting past this loss. I don't think I even want to.

by Anonymousreply 12November 28, 2023 9:02 PM

Christ. All y’all are a bunch of whiny cunts. Buck up, everyone’s gonna die. There’s nothing so special about you that we have to pay any attention to it.

by Anonymousreply 13November 28, 2023 9:09 PM

Alzheimers.

Wait, I meant to say Alzheimers.

What was the question?

by Anonymousreply 14November 28, 2023 9:09 PM

R11 I'm so sorry. Have you made plans for your final departure or who will be handling you?

by Anonymousreply 15November 28, 2023 9:09 PM

R11 aww, hugs and kisses.

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2023 9:13 PM

R11, I'm sorry you are facing this. Hopefully you have a doctor who is an expert in this area. A family member has been diagnosed with LBD. (For those who aren't familiar with it, Robin Williams had the same condition.) We have been encouraged by the care provided by the neurology team at Northwestern (Chicago) and particularly Dr Allison Lapins. The Caregiver's Guide by Helen Whitworth is a helpful book for your loved ones.

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2023 9:45 PM

I've long had a feeling that I would die of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 18November 28, 2023 9:46 PM

Drowning in the cum of young hustlers.

by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2023 9:48 PM

Digitas

by Anonymousreply 20November 28, 2023 9:50 PM

Old and warm in the bed of my husband, where I spent my life. I hope..

by Anonymousreply 21November 28, 2023 9:51 PM

Alone

by Anonymousreply 22November 28, 2023 9:51 PM

Alcohol also. My doctor's been trying to scare me lately because my liver numbers are a little high, but I'm not giving up my beer (I already gave up hard liquor).

by Anonymousreply 23November 28, 2023 9:52 PM

Cancer. I already have it.

by Anonymousreply 24November 28, 2023 9:54 PM

I hope I die sick in bed. Cancer, or something else. Not too suddenly. Give me a few weeks to be with loved ones.

by Anonymousreply 25November 28, 2023 10:01 PM

If I don't die earlier from some disease, will be accessing Canada's 'MAID' (Medical Assistance in Dying) and with the new Dementia provisions I will be instructing my lawyer to execute at a predetermined juncture should I not be in a position to make informed consent.

by Anonymousreply 26November 28, 2023 10:09 PM

Overdose. Meth-related.

by Anonymousreply 27November 28, 2023 10:17 PM

Boredom, hopefully. After one hundred years.

by Anonymousreply 28November 28, 2023 10:31 PM

I might pull a Matthew Perry.

by Anonymousreply 29November 28, 2023 10:32 PM

Not with a bang but a whimper.

by Anonymousreply 30November 28, 2023 10:33 PM

With excessive luck and unlikely opportunity... gluttony.

by Anonymousreply 31November 28, 2023 10:33 PM

...of boredom

by Anonymousreply 32November 28, 2023 10:47 PM

Switzerland. AVS. Expensive and not messy.

by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2023 10:50 PM

Fighting an oil rig fire in the Gulf of Mexico, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2023 10:52 PM

I'd like to drop dead in my vegetable patch.

by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2023 10:58 PM

I had cancer two years ago and beat it (so far).

My guess is it will be something heart related. Although I'm in better shape now than ever, I just have a feeling.

I hope it is fast, whatever it is.

by Anonymousreply 36November 28, 2023 11:10 PM

I wish my state had Canada's Medical Assistance in Dying. If I develop dementia, I'd like to go out on my own terms rather than waiting for the inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 37November 28, 2023 11:16 PM

All DLers need to look at their earlobes for Frank's Sign:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 28, 2023 11:18 PM

R11. My husband (initially partner) of 28 years has begun to develop symptoms of Alzheimer’s (first noticeable symptoms about 2 years ago). His late wife committed suicide four or five years into her own battle with it—she wanted to die before she couldn’t carry it out herself. My husband, who gave her care and was with her when she died (but did administer the drugs) has no inclination to take that route. While his (and hence, our) life has changed in many big ways, he remains happy and physically healthy—still working with a physical trainer twice a week at 85. I am 20 years younger, so, barring anything unforeseen or catastrophic in my own health, I plan to keep him in our home for the remainder of his life, bringing in home health care if it becomes necessary. He still enjoys dinners out, time with friends, the occasional movie or play (though we no longer make our quarterly trips to NTC, as the number of people, the noise, etc are overwhelming and he did not enjoy our last trip, a year and a half ago). A close friend’s mother was in a memory ward of a lovely nursing facility in suburban Chicago for ten years, and my friend said her mother never developed the anger or violence we see in those ubiquitous commercials (not everyone does). She said her mother’s threshold for happiness became lower as time went on (she had been a bright journalist and sometime writer and actress). All this is to say you may well have a number of years of good life (depending on how you measure life quality), but you also should have the right to decide when you’ve gone as far as you wish.

Me, I suspect my diabetes, while reasonably well-controlled, may likely end my life through cardiac disease (don’t have it yet). Both parents died of cancer (both smoked heavily for four or five decades). Brother, also a heavy smoker and obese (as was I until bariatric surgery fifteen years ago) died 20 years ago at 51 after a coronary the night after he’d been pushing a snowblower. I can’t imagine living a happy life if my husband dies before, which is, of course, quite likely. While I am prone to depression and anxiety (and medicated for them), and imagine I would not last long without him, I suspect the life force would kick in.

My sister, who eats healthily, only drank the occasional glass of wine, and never smoked, developed glioblastoma three years ago. They operated, removed all they could find, put her through courses of radiation and chemo, and have her use a new technology called Optima, an electronic map that has shown success in zapping those visible cancer cells that inevitably remain and seem to ward off new ones. She has had no regrowth of the tumor, but radiation necrosis has left her with some aphasia and mild mobility issues. But she has been able to see two granddaughters be born, in addition to seeing her grandsons reach 11 (twins). Her husband, despite having different politics from mine, has been a rock of support and completely there for her. So, you never know what the path will be. I wish you as much good life as is possible.

by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2023 11:21 PM

R11, I’m so sorry. You are among friends here (well, mostly).

by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2023 11:25 PM

I got a big ol' creases on my earlobes, but both my parents died from cancer.

So who knows ... .

by Anonymousreply 41November 28, 2023 11:30 PM

I’m falling down the basement stairs. I’m not doing it, I’m anticipating it.

by Anonymousreply 42November 28, 2023 11:43 PM

R12 It doesn't get better but you learn to live with it.

by Anonymousreply 43November 28, 2023 11:48 PM

Death by chocolate, hopefully.

by Anonymousreply 44November 28, 2023 11:56 PM

I'm going to get lippy with the wrong person. I'm going to roll my eyes and be smug and snarky. Someone who is a bigger asshole than I am, and a sociopath, is going to take me out. See this guy you want to smack? I'll try this on with the wrong guy and be killed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 28, 2023 11:58 PM

Some fatty disease

by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2023 12:07 AM

I have ear creases because I slept with my earrings in for years.

Probably heart disease or stroke.

But I'm 75 and feel good to go for another ten years. What's the stat? If you make it to 70, you can reasonably expect to live another 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 47November 29, 2023 12:08 AM

Starvation

by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2023 12:18 AM

R11 I'm so sorry! Have you heard of the Vielight photobiomodulation device? I bought one for my mom, who was diagnosed with dementia. (You probably get a ton of suggestions like this, I realize).

by Anonymousreply 49November 29, 2023 12:25 AM

I -- and my parents (87 & 83) -- have been waiting for me to die in a motorcycle accident since I started riding in 1982. This is my 41st year of riding, and although I've had two pretty bad accidents (16 broken bones & 32 metal pieces), I'm still walking, talking, and riding, although I've recently downsized from my Harley Ultra Classic (an 850 lb. bike) to a Triumph Speedmaster (550 lbs.).

I still believe and actually hope I will die on the motorcycle. I can't think of a better way to go, doing what I love. But other than that, with the longevity of my parents, who knows? I may have a long life ahead of me and live to see the dreaded future fuckups in store for humanity. In that case, hopefully I'll have the courage to eat my handgun. I did just buy a new one, after all.

by Anonymousreply 50November 29, 2023 12:34 AM

Whatever disease nutrasweet causes.

by Anonymousreply 51November 29, 2023 12:54 AM

Do you wear a helmet when riding, r50?

by Anonymousreply 52November 29, 2023 12:55 AM

20 grams of Fentanyl my Twinkie seems like a good way to go after some inevitable terrible diagnosis. This seems like a nice way out, Netflix and the ultimate chill

by Anonymousreply 53November 29, 2023 12:59 AM

You’re disgusting R39, grave digger

by Anonymousreply 54November 29, 2023 12:59 AM

I do, R52, but it's a half-helmet and not up to DOT specs. It will provide some protection, but not much. But I can no longer wear a heavy DOT helmet due to my past injuries. My neck and back simply can't support one. But that's OK by me. I really only wear one out of habit and to keep my hair in place anyway.

Since I have a spinal fusion from T3-T6 (2016 accident), the doctor told me that if I lay a bike down again, I'll probably be paralyzed -- and I certainly don't want just my head to survive. So it all works out.

by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2023 1:10 AM

r11 you certainly won't last that long....a relative of mine went from normal to vegetable to dead with LBD in less than 12 months; sorry, but true

by Anonymousreply 56November 29, 2023 1:12 AM

Alcohol (like several others mentioned)

Haven't had a drink in 3 years but have cirrhosis / ESLD. I'm a DNR an no transplant.

by Anonymousreply 57November 29, 2023 1:17 AM

I see a Big Eddie, Little Eddie situation in my future.

by Anonymousreply 58November 29, 2023 1:31 AM

Mother has lbd, frontotemperal dementia, if you have lbd you wont know it in a few years. The worst part is her anxiety about everything. They have her on antipsychotic meds so her hallucinations arent as bad. That's the Only good thing.

by Anonymousreply 59November 29, 2023 1:32 AM

In my chair watching MSNBC and I will be found months later a rotten festering mess as I will have died friendless and alone.

by Anonymousreply 60November 29, 2023 1:32 AM

[quote] I still believe and actually hope I will die on the motorcycle.

Which means someone else might also die in your road death, or will have to scrape you up with a spoon.

Grow up, and have some consideration for others.

by Anonymousreply 61November 29, 2023 1:40 AM

Fuck R11. I am so sorry.

Max out credit cards and travel the world. Or whatever your version of that is.

by Anonymousreply 62November 29, 2023 1:43 AM

R11 R12

I’m so sorry to you both.

by Anonymousreply 63November 29, 2023 2:21 AM

Some Cuban chick told me many times that the rhythm was going to get me. She was quite insistent.

But this was back in the '80's, and nothing has happened yet.

by Anonymousreply 64November 29, 2023 2:23 AM

R61, you don't know much about motorcycles, do you? In what universe does the rider of a 550-lb. motorcycle, exposed to the elements, "win" against a 3000+ lb. vehicle, where that occupant is surrounded by metal and airbags?

I dare you to research the data on accidents where it's car vs. motorcycle. If you find an instance where a "cager" dies and the motorcyclist walks away, let me know, hunh?

Plus there are many, many other ways for a motorcyclist to lay a bike down other than to hit someone. There are trees, sharp cures, wild animals. large potholes, etc. Are you getting the picture yet?

I sure hope you're not an engineer.

by Anonymousreply 65November 29, 2023 3:21 AM

Think I’ll just take a step in my abode and collapse.

by Anonymousreply 66November 29, 2023 5:47 AM

Probably kidney failure or septic shock. But I'm not averse to dying in my sleep. I have to redo my end-of-life plans and directions and I think my lawyer wants the documents to be VERY specific. If I get a diagnosis that involves horrific pain, or the loss of my mind, or a number of other awful eventualities, assisted suicide would seem like the best option.

by Anonymousreply 67November 29, 2023 5:58 AM

Albeit I am a young buck (20s) and cautiously optimistic about my future, I very much have a feeling suicide is a strong possibility. I try my best to keep some humility and hope for myself, even a dash of faith, but I feel very lost and out of place. I don't know why I'm here, I'm conscious and how life must be. I just feel worthless. My passion is in the arts and my work is being oversaturated by awful influencers in it. I suppose it'll all eventually end up being some kind of shitty desk job just keeping a hardly middle-class appearance just as my parents did.

And miles before I go to sleep.....

by Anonymousreply 68November 29, 2023 6:01 AM

So you have a lot of Asian drivers there R6?

by Anonymousreply 69November 29, 2023 6:19 AM

whelmed to death

by Anonymousreply 70November 29, 2023 6:25 AM

In a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 71November 29, 2023 7:34 AM

Louisiana, R8.

Compared to ours, TX infrastructure looks like Japan or Germany.

July 2022, on I-10N, not a cloud in the sky, no rain, so no excuse, an 18-wheeler kept coming up on my rear at high speed. I'll spare the details, except to say I was ever so glad my Dad and my HS Driver's Ed teacher drilled situational awareness into me. Check and adjust your mirrors, be aware of anyone heading into your blind spots, etc.

Was very strongly "grazed" on I-10N by an 18-wheeler in July of 2022. First time in my life I've ever had uncontrollable shaking.

by Anonymousreply 72November 29, 2023 8:02 AM

Complications from vaginal rejuvenation surgery.

by Anonymousreply 73November 29, 2023 8:07 AM

R68, I'm older than you and find it sad you think you're lost and out of place. Truly ...do we need to know why we're here? The Arts is a great scene and you just have to find your niche. I've worked in the flower industry all my life and wouldn't do anything else. Get plenty of flack but I don't care what others think...I'm happy. Good luck in whatever you accomplish going forward.

by Anonymousreply 74November 29, 2023 8:19 AM

A business opportunity and a public service

Someone in the know with access to good drugs and a kind heart (ok that last is optional) needs to set up a Suicide Are Us mobile business for all on DL to take advantage of.

Guns are so messy

by Anonymousreply 75November 29, 2023 9:03 AM

A great idea but some fundie would rat the person out to the police within a month.

by Anonymousreply 76November 29, 2023 10:33 AM

We're dead to us!

by Anonymousreply 77November 29, 2023 11:57 AM

I died on stage. At the Palace, yet. I was doing a show about my father’s movies.

by Anonymousreply 78November 29, 2023 12:10 PM

20g of fentanyl is what one calls “Overkill” R11. 5000 times over.

by Anonymousreply 79November 29, 2023 12:18 PM

R53, I mean^

by Anonymousreply 80November 29, 2023 12:18 PM

Propofol overdose.

by Anonymousreply 81November 29, 2023 12:19 PM

Malaise

by Anonymousreply 82November 29, 2023 12:32 PM

Dyspepsia

by Anonymousreply 83November 29, 2023 12:32 PM

Mid-thrust while deeply inside a very receptive Hungarian bodybuilder.

Or he could Czech, or Slovenian, whatever. I won’t give a shit at that point.

by Anonymousreply 84November 29, 2023 12:37 PM

Massive heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 85November 29, 2023 12:55 PM

Cancer probably. That's what my Dad and his brother died of which increases the risk for me.

I don't mope over it, though. We've all got to go at some point.

by Anonymousreply 86November 29, 2023 1:06 PM

R82, is your name Neville, by chance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 29, 2023 1:26 PM

R74 — Thank you for your lovely encouraging message. A little hopeful thinking like what you've said goes a long way with me. Sending my best to you this holiday season. Flowers are always beautiful and provide so much pleasure to so many people.

by Anonymousreply 88November 29, 2023 3:08 PM

[quote] [R11] you certainly won't last that long....a relative of mine went from normal to vegetable to dead with LBD in less than 12 months; sorry, but true

What the fuck? R11 spoke to his / her doctor. Why be so cruel?

by Anonymousreply 89November 29, 2023 3:18 PM

I expect to be standing their minding my own business , maybe looking at the bus schedule, when I will be trampled to death by a horde of gay men rushing into a Taylor Swift concert.

by Anonymousreply 90November 29, 2023 3:28 PM

I will die of laughter when I come across the George Santos Sex Tape.

by Anonymousreply 91November 29, 2023 4:24 PM

Assassination.

by Anonymousreply 92November 29, 2023 5:42 PM

I'm picturing something like...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 29, 2023 5:49 PM

Probably breast cancer. It runs in my family.

by Anonymousreply 94November 29, 2023 5:51 PM

Suicide

by Anonymousreply 95November 29, 2023 10:36 PM

Gotta be sure, r79

Don't want some jackass with a can of narcan bringing me back

by Anonymousreply 96November 29, 2023 10:40 PM

Heart disease or cancer or a broken heart.

by Anonymousreply 97November 29, 2023 10:52 PM

R96 Where will you get it?

by Anonymousreply 98November 30, 2023 4:38 AM

Hopefully not in the sauna or steam at a gay bathhouse. That has happened to others.

Dying doing what they loved, I guess?

So I'll stay out of the heated sauna and steam and jacuzzi at my age of 63, and just walk around and observe on any future visit to a bathhouse, maybe some light frolicking.

by Anonymousreply 99November 30, 2023 5:47 AM

Spontaneous human combustion.

by Anonymousreply 100November 30, 2023 6:10 AM

r100, so... a grease fire?

by Anonymousreply 101November 30, 2023 6:23 AM

On or near the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 102November 30, 2023 6:56 AM

R72

Oof. Whenever I’ve driven I-10 from TX into LA, the difference in road quality is shocking. TX actually has excellent interstates - I think LA doesn’t get federal funding because of the drinking age, right? Or is that just a myth I learned years ago?

I do have one positive thing to say about Florida: their highways are surprisingly excellent (but then of course I was driving in from Alabama).

by Anonymousreply 103November 30, 2023 11:23 AM

Young.

by Anonymousreply 104November 30, 2023 11:24 AM

According to just released national data it seems like suicide for older men is more likely as the suicide rate continues to rise and is driving the overall national suicide rate. And older is like over 35+.

After reading on DL I am not at all surprised.

I’d be curious the breakdown among the older male cohort that does or attempts suicide . Would not be surprised if it’s not higher say for DL than for the national average.

by Anonymousreply 105November 30, 2023 11:27 AM

R103, Louisiana raised the drinking age years ago to get federal funding. And we do get a lot of federal funding for lots of projects. It just never gets spent for its purpose, either my local/state incompetence or corruption (usually the latter).

by Anonymousreply 106December 1, 2023 6:18 AM

Kidney failure. I'm 3/4 of the way there.

by Anonymousreply 107December 1, 2023 6:42 AM

Heart attack #2. #1 nearly took me out. The next one should be an even bigger doozy.

by Anonymousreply 108December 1, 2023 7:21 AM

Something to do with a malfunctioning dildo, a bubble bath, and Gayle’s longtime resentment of the fact that my pussy juice can cause cavities…..

by Anonymousreply 109December 1, 2023 7:23 AM

Tripping over my dog and falling down the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 110December 1, 2023 8:45 AM

I hope the dog will be OK. Is it a rescue?

by Anonymousreply 111December 1, 2023 8:58 AM

Wooffie Sheila Mitzi d’Hanoncourt is pure bred and will have access to a $ 1 million trust fund after my demise.

by Anonymousreply 112December 1, 2023 11:33 AM

She will be OK.

by Anonymousreply 113December 1, 2023 11:33 AM

R112

I’d trip him and send him down the stairs to an early death for 1 million.

by Anonymousreply 114December 1, 2023 11:36 AM

An Irish Airman Foresees His Death

I know that I shall meet my fate

Somewhere among the clouds above;

Those that I fight I do not hate,

Those that I guard I do not love;

My country is Kiltartan Cross,

My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,

No likely end could bring them loss

Or leave them happier than before.

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,

Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,

A lonely impulse of delight

Drove to this tumult in the clouds;

I balanced all, brought all to mind,

The years to come seemed waste of breath,

A waste of breath the years behind

In balance with this life, this death.

by Anonymousreply 115December 1, 2023 11:42 AM

An Irishman Foresees His Marriage

I just met the girl

That I shall forever adore

She’s deaf and dumb and blind

And she owns a liquor store

by Anonymousreply 116December 1, 2023 1:02 PM

Choking. That's true for all of DL fat whores.

by Anonymousreply 117December 1, 2023 1:46 PM

Yeah. I live alone so there are so many possibilities. Heart attack, choking, suicide, fall in the shower and break my neck and lie there paralyzed as the water goes cold and I'm stuck there for days with nobody checking on me until some day someone finds my dead decomposing corpse in the shower with the water still running, probably unrecognizable depending on how long it takes for anyone to notice I've disappeared....

by Anonymousreply 118December 1, 2023 2:09 PM

That was very detailed, r118! Please, stay away from the shower!

by Anonymousreply 119December 1, 2023 2:16 PM

My mother almost died that way, R118. She fell in the shower and couldn't get out. They found her two days later, still alive; and she hasn't been the same since.

by Anonymousreply 120December 1, 2023 2:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!