Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who here has been to India?

What was it like?

It seems like one of the most daunting places to visit but also one of the most culturally and spiritually enriching.

It is one of the cradles of civilization. How are they about gay tourists?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339April 4, 2024 12:16 AM

In India all seems to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2023 4:18 AM

r1 You mean aside from the gang rapes, right?

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2023 4:20 AM

R2 Where do I sign up!

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2023 4:22 AM

Oh boy, a new India DL thread. It's been awhile

Looking forward to the horrors to follow

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2023 4:30 AM

It probably smells.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2023 4:32 AM

The state of Meghalaya -- the rainiest place on earth -- is one of the world's paradises.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2023 4:38 AM

My Indian friend says seeing the Himalayas are the only thing worth going to the trouble of traveling to India for.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2023 4:38 AM

About 10 years ago, my husband was offered an overseas posting to Chennai. The company paid for him to go visit to see if it was something he would be interested in.

He came back with stories and photos of abject poverty, ramshackle infrastructure, cows on the beach (seriously, they’re sacred so no one moves them on), ex-pats with fridges full of snake anti-venom, and child beggars tapping your car window as the driver takes you to the expat conclave.

We chose to take the posting to Shanghai instead.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2023 4:38 AM

[quote] He came back with stories and photos of abject poverty, ramshackle infrastructure, cows on the beach (seriously, they’re sacred so no one moves them on), ex-pats with fridges full of snake anti-venom, and child beggars tapping your car window as the driver takes you to the expat conclave.

Eh, sounds like just another day in LA!

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2023 4:42 AM

Why are cows sacred there?

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2023 4:53 AM

The states of Kerala, Jammu and Kashmir, and Meghalaya are must-sees.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2023 5:10 AM

Varanasi is a spiritual out-of-body experience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2023 5:49 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2023 6:46 AM

R7, your friend is very wrong.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2023 6:48 AM

R10 is another demonstration of the utter lack of curiosity and education plaguing the world today.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2023 6:50 AM

R10 is everything wrong in the world.

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2023 6:58 AM

Never, never, never. One of the very last places on earth I want to visit. My friend who visited shared that as his plane descended, the color of the air surrounding the city was a brownish-yellow color. No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2023 7:03 AM

Not spiritually enriching. That was a racist trope of the British: oh we're good at management and organization: you're good at spiritual things, ignoring the long philosophical traditions of Indian atheism and secular humanism. But here's the thing: most Indians believe this so they make a point of religiosity as though they had a special gift in this area. Interestingly for a subcontinent that has been settled so long, most of their "ancient" sites outside the Indus Valley date from 300 CE or later. There really is nothing to the claim that India i s the world's oldest civilization. It isn't and never was a single civilization. but a collection of very different cultures. There is much diversity to see, but less to learn from because so many political changes have left little continuity.

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2023 7:17 AM

R17, oh god, please. How melodramatic. Is this what WASPs feel when they inch beyond their shitty Connecticut existence?

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2023 7:18 AM

Not enough vaccinations in the world could get me to go to India. 💉💉💉💉💉💉💉💉💉💉

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2023 7:24 AM

India's violent treatment of gays in recent years is rather anomalous since even in its most Muslim days there was plenty of room for gays. It's more a function of Hindu nationalism. They really get off on being "ahead" of China in population now and thinks this gives them special powers!

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2023 7:28 AM

India is the biggest shithole that has ever shitted a shitty-shit...(and yes, I have been there). Absolute filth. From any angle.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2023 7:32 AM

It saddens me to think of India's stray dog population. They're the cutest mutts in the world, and they live such chaotic lives.

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2023 7:56 AM

Plus, with few exceptions, they're a very ugly people. They seem to hit the wall at 12.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2023 8:08 AM

They prefer to be called Pakistanis R23

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2023 9:42 AM

My partner and I did a 3 week tour of (mostly) Rajastan just before covid. We LOVED it. It’s such a fascinating country, the sites are astounding (India was one of the richest countries in the world before British rule), the contrast of beauty and rubbish is so interesting, the people were lovely and food was delicious. It’s not for everyone, but I’ve travelled a lot and feel it was one of the best trips I’ve done. I definitely want to go back.

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2023 10:53 AM

R26 I believe you went on this trip with an open mind and no pre-conceived notions! India definitely has its problems, but it is a fascinating place of many weird dichotomies. I think if you keep an open mind, you're bound to enjoy it.

I won't disagree with the air quality, it is absolute SHITE! You can actually smell the sulphur etc. as your plane approaches the air space of any of the major cities, especially New Delhi or Mumbai. But the miracle is: 1.4 billion people still manage to live there and many actually THRIVE!

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2023 10:58 AM

I feel like I should have gone to India in my late teens or 20s. In my 40s, I don’t think I could deal.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2023 11:47 AM

the river during Covid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2023 12:15 PM

You couldn’t pay me to step foot in that shithole.

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2023 12:19 PM

Been there, and save for some places and the more remote parts of nature, it really isn’t much. Shithole is pushing it, but sometimes that was a very apt description.

That said: I have only explored maybe 5% of the country — India is huge!! It’s a subcontinent with wildly different climates and subcultures.

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2023 12:23 PM

lol at “many”, probably only hundred thousand.

Hell. On. Earth.

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2023 12:25 PM

yummers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2023 12:33 PM

Why go to India when you can stay in New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2023 12:38 PM

When the government feels it necessary to post signs telling citizens to use toilets, you know you're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2023 12:54 PM

India is one of those countries on my bucket list, but I have a strong feeling that one visit will be sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2023 1:00 PM

"Why go to India when you can stay in Florida?"

FIFY, R34.

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2023 1:03 PM

go to india! use a toilet!

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2023 1:08 PM

For some strange reason, I prefer to visit countries where people don’t shit in the same water in which they wash their clothes.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2023 1:13 PM

R39 That’s very elitist. It’s socially current to wash yourself in shit.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2023 1:19 PM

Never.

Even reading this thread is nauseating. The air changes to yellow brown and it smells of sulfur as you descend on the plane?

You couldn’t pay me.

And the gang rapes are so brutal that they ultimately start using metal rods, leaving women’s intestines hanging out of their bodies.

Horrific country. No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2023 1:20 PM

R41 That sounds horrible. As much as you want to make light of it being dirty and chaotic, the treatment of the women is awful.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2023 1:25 PM

What's the cost of a common male whore?

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2023 1:39 PM

It blows my mind how they treat the Ganges

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2023 1:51 PM

RE r44:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2023 1:56 PM

I went with my family as a kid. On the first day, we saw something on the sidewalk that we thought was a dead frog. It was a fetus. He was about the size of a pear. My mom and I just stood there in horror. She gently wrapped him in a napkin and asked a tour guide where we could bury him. He recommended a quiet place near the hotel. We did it and said our prayers. Our family really wanted to just leave at that point.

by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2023 1:59 PM

I truly wonder what India would look like today had the British never colonized it.

by Anonymousreply 47November 20, 2023 2:13 PM

My parents are from the South Asian region and I have ZERO desire to ever visit India, ever. I get wanting to go to see historical and religious sites. But that's it. I can just go on google images and see those things, I have no desire to go to dirty, nasty, smelly India to see those things in person.

by Anonymousreply 48November 20, 2023 2:37 PM

I know nothing of India, except my nephew was on a golf tour and was on a plane ready for takeoff. A fat lady bent over and her ass was very close to his face. He said that the smell almost made him pass out right there. He said it was the filthiest place that any human could imagine.

by Anonymousreply 49November 20, 2023 2:55 PM

I don’t want to go to a country where people wipe their ass with their fingers.

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2023 3:01 PM

R36, And "bucket list" will be literal!

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2023 3:04 PM

R49, the thought of the rampant B.O. and people shitting in the streets is revolting. The fact that people bathe in the Ganges river is horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2023 3:05 PM

Injah.

by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2023 3:11 PM

[quote]The states of Kerala, Jammu and Kashmir, and Meghalaya are must-sees.

THANK YOU, R11!! Many of us, myself included until recently, carry around an image in our heads of India as one big stereotype - hot, flat, dusty, urban, overcrowded, etc.; however this is like picturing all of the United States as looking like Nebraska. India is a vast and diverse country, and the places you mention are some of the most beautiful places on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 54November 20, 2023 3:46 PM

No thanks I have a very pleasant and comfortable bathroom

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2023 5:07 PM

I spent a couple of months in India roughly a decade ago and had the time of my life. Went to big cities, small villages, beaches, mountains. Loved the experience and hope to return.

Yes, any country that large is also going to have monumental problems (China? Russia? Brazil? The US?) but if you’re going to selectively emphasize the bad out of proportion to the beauty and the wonder, of course you’re going to create a distorted picture. Not to be dismissive of the problems India suffers from, but look at the numbers of tourists who visit the US despite high rates of urban crime and what I assume is a world record for gun-related violence here.

I found the overwhelming majority of people I met in India to be kind, welcoming, curious, and generous. The landscapes were breathtaking. I ate really well. I heard musicians and poets who moved me. And many of the men are stunning.

The infrastructure from a visitor’s perspective is well developed. The rail system is extensive and works well; there are also efficient low-cost domestic airlines for longer journeys. The press in India is freer than in many countries. India has many distinctive cuisines that vary from region to region.

I have friends and family members who only want to travel to countries where most everyone speaks English, the environment is reliably sterile, and they’re less likely to face the unpredictable. In other words, they’ll comfortably visit Canada or England or Australia. I probably wouldn’t recommend they visit India. But if you want an exhilarating experience, to be in an environment that is nothing like home, India is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2023 6:37 PM

I’d rather be covered with honey and tied to an ant hill.

by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2023 6:41 PM

I feel that India could be daunting for even seasoned tourists. Another option is Sri Lanka, which feels like a cleaner, more compact, less chaotic India. It's a strikingly green and beautiful island.

by Anonymousreply 58November 20, 2023 7:04 PM

Great post, r56. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 59November 20, 2023 7:04 PM

I recommend visiting its neighbor Nepal. Beautiful country.

by Anonymousreply 60November 20, 2023 7:06 PM

Just remember to stay at Oberoi hotels, only. You'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 61November 20, 2023 7:08 PM

They use human waste to fertilize their crops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 20, 2023 7:17 PM

Great post r57. Thx!

by Anonymousreply 63November 20, 2023 7:18 PM

I can’t think of a place I’d rather visit least except Gaza.

by Anonymousreply 64November 20, 2023 7:20 PM

I'd wanted to visit it earlier in life, after seeing A Passage to India, but now- no thanks. It's not safe for women and I don't see what reward I'd hope to gain for the risk. It sounds very depressing.

by Anonymousreply 65November 20, 2023 7:23 PM

If I had to go to India, I wouldn't go to the bathroom for the entire trip.

by Anonymousreply 66November 20, 2023 7:25 PM

MARY r66!!!

by Anonymousreply 67November 20, 2023 7:26 PM

R54 and r56, Who is saying nay to India's beauty? Cuisines? Hospitality?

The Taj Mahal alone would be worth the price of admission, among other man-made structures....

But for the one topic you omit: Indians' cultural aversion to indoor, shared, sit-down toilets. The forest, railway platform, and street photos are there for all to see.

I'll stick to "sterile" environs that don't require my getting an anti-malaria shot.

by Anonymousreply 68November 20, 2023 7:44 PM

R56, did you have a favorite state or region of India?

by Anonymousreply 69November 20, 2023 8:03 PM

Fuck India!

by Anonymousreply 70November 20, 2023 8:40 PM

Corrupt, shit-encrusted gang-banging killas

by Anonymousreply 71November 20, 2023 8:40 PM

R56 great post. The nay-sayers will nay-say (most of them without any first hand experience, just the handful of images they've seen in the media). *sigh*

by Anonymousreply 72November 20, 2023 8:49 PM

The majority of replies so far aren't by people who have actually been to India - that's the subject, after all - but by ignorant people who just want to perpetuate the stereotypes and express their own personal bias.

by Anonymousreply 73November 20, 2023 8:50 PM

R66 Co-STANZA!

by Anonymousreply 74November 20, 2023 9:00 PM

Gangbanging fucks is real!!!! Stop the anti-propaganda propaganda fuckas

by Anonymousreply 75November 20, 2023 9:11 PM

Oh Never ! I just read about a gang of mean monkeys that killed a ten year old kid. They pulled his intestines out .

by Anonymousreply 76November 20, 2023 9:19 PM

I think it'd be great to see the Taj Mahal, etc. but I think that negative aspects would cancel out any enjoyment. I've watched Youtube videos of street food vendors and the nasty conditions, I worked with some Indian people and knowing how they don't use deodorant, I can imagine that the smell permeating everything. I've watched The Amazing Race for years and have seen how crowded, dirty and sad a lot of the country looks.

I also used to listen to Howard Stern and his cohost Robin went to India and only lasted one day before the horrors that she experienced spurred her to get a flight back home within 24 hours. She spoke about people begging at every turn, seeing crippled people sitting in the street, garbage and stink, having to move hotels because the "first class" place her cab driver dropped her off at was worse than a prison cell.

by Anonymousreply 77November 20, 2023 9:32 PM

I've only had a couple of brief 1-week long work trips and hope to return on my own time. But, since this is DL, I will mention there were so many good looking, muscular men in the middle/upper-middle classes of the big cities. Gym culture is massive with men in their 20s and 30s there -- almost to an obsessive level. If you're looking for no strings attached sex with hot guys, you can find it in abundance there. True, many of them aren't out of the closet, but, hey, if you're not looking for love, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 78November 20, 2023 10:17 PM

“You know where I’m from, we have this thing it’s called deodorant!!!!!”

by Anonymousreply 79November 20, 2023 10:23 PM

India? No thx,I have an aversion to foul stench.

by Anonymousreply 80November 20, 2023 10:24 PM

Stinks over there cause nobody uses toilets or wipes their asses

by Anonymousreply 81November 20, 2023 10:25 PM

r73, I wonder how many of these posters also screech about MAGAts on other threads, oblivious to their own noxious bellowing.

by Anonymousreply 82November 20, 2023 10:39 PM

I could never ever eat their food. Yuk.

by Anonymousreply 83November 20, 2023 10:40 PM

Indian food is tasty.

by Anonymousreply 84November 20, 2023 10:41 PM

Indian food is nasty. I’ve had it and it’s vile.

by Anonymousreply 85November 20, 2023 10:42 PM

not me

by Anonymousreply 86November 20, 2023 10:42 PM

If you visit India, remember to take your poo to the loo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 20, 2023 10:48 PM

My ex grew up in a village in Arunachal Pradesh in North East India close to the Himalayas. He said it was quite lush and not crowded, had limited electricity, etc. He then moved to New Delhi where his family is now. He lives in Bellevue and works for Amazon, of course.

To think he lived in a tiny village far from Washington state and us meeting and being compatible is amazing to me— with him being a Hindu vegetarian with math abilities and me a meat-eating, artistic, atheist.

He admits India has issues with pollution and poverty but no one seems to care. He and many like him like to visit family but do not want to live there. Corruption, bureaucracy, pollution are cited as reasons.

by Anonymousreply 88November 20, 2023 11:09 PM

r88 "with him being a Hindu vegetarian with math abilities and me a meat-eating, artistic, atheist."

Fixed "with him being a giant cocked Hindu vegetarian with math abilities and me a meat-eating, artistic, atheist, gaping hole"

by Anonymousreply 89November 20, 2023 11:12 PM

I went 10 years ago and had a great time. We did the Golden Triangle (Delhi, Jaipur, Agra), Mumbai, and Goa. Yes, there’s poverty, but not in the places you’d go as a tourist. And even then I didn’t think it was significantly worse than other places I’d been in the Caribbean or Latin America.

by Anonymousreply 90November 20, 2023 11:30 PM

Gasp

by Anonymousreply 91November 20, 2023 11:31 PM

Everybody I know who has been to India got very sick from the water. It's very difficult to protect yourself from this. Anyway - they all survived and lost weight.

by Anonymousreply 92November 20, 2023 11:35 PM

R14 He’s mad at Modi and the caste system.

by Anonymousreply 93November 20, 2023 11:41 PM

Dear Datalounge, this thread doesn't disappoint

by Anonymousreply 94November 20, 2023 11:45 PM

A good friend of mine grew up in the mountains of the pState of Kerala. He’s shared a lot of stories about living and growing up there and I’d really like to go there one day.

Apparently, Kerala has everything: beaches, mountains, forests, jungles, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 20, 2023 11:50 PM

If I were to go I'd have a travel agent handle everything and potentially go only on guided tours. Friends went and their stories of trying to arrange travel in a country where the concert of waiting in line or timetables does not exist.

It would be expensive but I am curious to visit the major sites and don't see another way that I personally could handle it.

by Anonymousreply 96November 21, 2023 12:03 AM

They poop in the streets !!! It's like San Francisco!!! Gurl NO !!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 21, 2023 12:17 AM

R95, Kerala is called "God's own country" for good reason.

by Anonymousreply 98November 21, 2023 6:38 AM

I’ve only spent one night in Paris……but I did get a nice view in the Hilton.

by Anonymousreply 99November 21, 2023 8:02 AM

I have visited India many times. One thing that always stands out, I see more smiling and happy people there than I do in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 100November 21, 2023 11:29 AM

I have been there four times.

The traffic there is abysmal. Midtown Manhattan or Los Angeles seem like paradise in comparison.

"The smell" upon arrival is a thing! We couldn't take a long-distance train as my Ex was afraid of insects, vermin, etc.

Food is very good. Foodie heaven. One vegetarian restaurant distributed metal trays with compartments, with boys coming around to distribute items from each from buckets: rice, vegetables, yogurt, etc. as a sort of reverse-buffet.

by Anonymousreply 101November 21, 2023 11:57 AM

R11, r55

I long wanted to visit Kashmir (admittedly, after watching The Jewel In The Crown) as a young teen but jeez, it would be dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 102November 21, 2023 12:07 PM

Hell on earth

by Anonymousreply 103November 21, 2023 12:10 PM

No I do not want to vacation there. I still have my pride you know.

by Anonymousreply 104November 21, 2023 12:42 PM

Poor, hot, and dirty.

by Anonymousreply 105November 21, 2023 12:48 PM

I would love to go. The architecture and landscapes and historic sites would be amazing. And the food and experience overall.

My partner was there some years ago, touring for 10 weeks, which might be about the ideal time to get some proper sampling of the place. Though I wish I had done this when younger, I would still like to do a shorter, more luxurious trip of a few weeks. Surely few places could come near to approaching the experience and seeing things genuinely "exotic" to what I know. It might not be a destination that I would quickly repeat, bit what else could come close?

by Anonymousreply 106November 21, 2023 4:30 PM

Tonight's menu will be capsicum Paneer masala, I even made my own paneer! I'm not Indian either.

by Anonymousreply 107November 21, 2023 5:07 PM

I recommend Morocco. It has a similar atmosphere, architecture, and smell, but is notably cleaner and quieter. Morocco can be a toilet, but India is a toilet that's been used heavily.

by Anonymousreply 108November 21, 2023 5:47 PM

I was recommended some videos of various street food channels. The Indian ones were the most nauseating - it was always a bunch of men in stalls pulling ingredients from dirty ice chests or boxes, or making drinks with blocks of ice that they kept piled on random pieces of cardboard. Handling vegetables and other food with bare hands that didn't look too clean. Meat sitting out in the sun with zero refrigeration and flies all around.

Slight tangent, but where do they get those huge pots, pans and giant griddles and soup pots over there? Every street vendor has a griddle the size of a table. Also, where are all of the women at these street food places? It's almost scary that you see no women there - are they banned (women should be at home doing woman things!) or it's too dangerous?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 21, 2023 6:04 PM

STFU GERG R107

by Anonymousreply 110November 21, 2023 8:55 PM

I've been there with my Auntie Mame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111November 21, 2023 9:30 PM

R108, I spent three days in Morocco in the 70s Didn't need an anti-malaria shot. Tetuan, Fez, Meknes, and environs. I never noticed any untoward odors, not even in the souk alleyways. Maybe at a tannery, I don't recall, but nobody was working when I went to one, as it was a sabbath day, as it were. I had French and Moroccan restaurant meals---fabulous.

I would return to Morocco.

by Anonymousreply 112November 21, 2023 10:13 PM

^Les anciennes

by Anonymousreply 113November 21, 2023 10:26 PM

R102, it is safer now (at least for tourists). Kashmir is enjoying a bit of a travel renaissance at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 114November 21, 2023 10:59 PM

The Holi Festival looks colorful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 22, 2023 1:39 AM

Hellhole.

by Anonymousreply 116November 22, 2023 1:54 AM

It’s not something I would ever do

by Anonymousreply 117November 22, 2023 2:09 AM

The Dawki River is something amazing to behold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 22, 2023 2:15 AM

The monkeys are probably killing people because they’re worried about being raped. In all seriousness why does India have such problems with gang raped? Russia is also a shithole yet you don’t hear about gang rape epidemics.

by Anonymousreply 119November 22, 2023 2:23 AM

[quote] STFU GERG [R107]

No.

by Anonymousreply 120November 22, 2023 1:23 PM

[quote] I also used to listen to Howard Stern and his cohost Robin went to India and only lasted one day before the horrors that she experienced spurred her to get a flight back home within 24 hours.

R77, what was she expecting?

by Anonymousreply 121November 22, 2023 4:25 PM

I don't know. Maybe, at least, 18th century hygiene?

by Anonymousreply 122November 22, 2023 11:07 PM

R122, she probably should have done her research first. She certainly has the time and money

by Anonymousreply 123November 22, 2023 11:33 PM

If I’m going to go somewhere where people shit in the streets I’d rather go to San Francisco

by Anonymousreply 124November 23, 2023 12:21 AM

[quote] Russia is also a shithole yet you don’t hear about gang rape epidemics.

Only because their dicks all fell off from krokodil.

by Anonymousreply 125November 23, 2023 12:25 AM

R119, yes, you don't hear about it. But that doesn't mean it's not happening.

by Anonymousreply 126November 23, 2023 1:22 AM

[quote] Russia is also a shithole yet you don’t hear about gang rape epidemics.

No. They prefer cannibalism instead.

by Anonymousreply 127November 23, 2023 1:32 AM

Please say more, r127, since you're clearly an educated poster.

Tell us about this Russian cannibalism

by Anonymousreply 128November 23, 2023 1:37 AM

I've never been to India, but I kinda like the music...

by Anonymousreply 129November 23, 2023 1:38 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130November 23, 2023 1:40 AM

The Mrs. Lovett of St. Petersburg loves the other white meat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 23, 2023 1:42 AM

lol oh ok

thanks r130, this sounds true to me

by Anonymousreply 132November 23, 2023 1:42 AM

Thanks r131 sounds believable

Russians are cannibals.

Of course, it's so obvious now.

Russians are cannibals.

That's just how Russians roll.

by Anonymousreply 133November 23, 2023 1:46 AM

R133, are you Russian yourself or something?

by Anonymousreply 134November 23, 2023 1:51 AM

Yes r134 I'm a Russian cannibal like all Russians,

I mean, we just love it.

by Anonymousreply 135November 23, 2023 2:44 AM

R135, lol.

I'd rather deal with someone, anyone, from India before I'd deal with Russians and their stupid fucking attitudes.

by Anonymousreply 136November 23, 2023 4:47 AM

And I know Russians, honey.

by Anonymousreply 137November 23, 2023 4:47 AM

Not yet. I've been to Nice and the Isle of Greece. Plus I've seen some things that I'd rather not get into.

by Anonymousreply 138November 23, 2023 5:02 AM

R136 ok "honey."

Maybe see your therapist.

by Anonymousreply 139November 23, 2023 5:03 AM

R136= Twice failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 140November 23, 2023 5:04 AM

R140, awww someone is triggered by Russian criticism

by Anonymousreply 141November 23, 2023 5:17 AM

18,000-20,000 people in India die of rabies every year.

If you visit, be careful of those "cute" stray dogs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142November 23, 2023 5:46 AM

Wait... I thought this India thread was about what horrible cannibalist monsters the evil cannibalistic Russian monsters were.

Lets get it straight everyone

by Anonymousreply 143November 23, 2023 6:15 AM

Russia is a big country. It we can have Jeffrey Dahmer, why is anyone refusing to believe the same about any other place, let alone a lawless nation of staggering toothless drunks, abandoned orphans, and indifferent oligarchs?

by Anonymousreply 144November 24, 2023 4:04 PM

India (from absolutely all angles) makes Hell look like Versailles.

by Anonymousreply 145November 24, 2023 4:07 PM

Some of the men are terribly attractive.

by Anonymousreply 146November 24, 2023 4:09 PM

[quote]India (from absolutely all angles) makes Hell look like Versailles.

Coincidentally, I would’ve chose my fate if the other option were banishment to India.

by Anonymousreply 147November 25, 2023 11:19 AM

R30 by “Step foot” you mean “set foot”, right?

by Anonymousreply 148November 25, 2023 11:40 AM

I read Shantaram. That was enough.

by Anonymousreply 149November 25, 2023 11:46 AM

No need to be pedantic, r148.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150November 25, 2023 12:32 PM

🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

by Anonymousreply 151November 25, 2023 4:36 PM

Chana

by Anonymousreply 152November 25, 2023 6:13 PM

We went a few years ago just before Covid. We spent 3.5 weeks visiting the Golden Triangle and several National Parks/Tiger Reserves. The Taj Mahal is breathtaking and we spotted 8 Tigers on our trip, one less than 6 meters from our jeep. Our driver accelerated in reverse as the Tiger approached. Yes it was hot (49°C on some days) ,chaotic ,noisy and dusty but it was so much more than this. It was invigorating, colorful and truly unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 153November 25, 2023 6:58 PM

Indian food is magnificent but there is nothing else about India I find very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 154November 26, 2023 2:29 AM

We did, but men lifted us upon their shoulders everywhere in screened, roofed golden carts on their shoulders, so that our feet never worried about actually making contact with the ground--which they never should have done, because of who we were.

by Anonymousreply 155November 26, 2023 7:05 AM

Don't drink the water, don't eat the food.

by Anonymousreply 156November 26, 2023 9:26 AM

Gay tourists make a wonderful curry!

by Anonymousreply 157November 26, 2023 9:48 AM

Hell to me would be some shitty-nowhere place like Monaco.

by Anonymousreply 158November 26, 2023 9:59 AM

I'd rather spend my travel money on the northern coast of Maine or one of the islands off of Maine. Thanks. Anyways.

by Anonymousreply 159November 26, 2023 10:05 AM

Indian Matchmaking on Netflix has a lot of eye candy, both in male form and in the luxurious, sumptuous upper class places where they live and socialize. A country that huge is going to have it all...from the filthiest slums to the most gorgeous palaces and temples.

I still don't want to go. Maybe once I've hit all the safer, easier places on my bucket list, and with the right company, I would consider it. But only to a few select places where one can be assured of a certain level of development.

by Anonymousreply 160November 26, 2023 11:00 AM

You just know their foreskins stink of shit, sheep and niece.

by Anonymousreply 161November 26, 2023 11:18 AM

I can't believe the gays haven't gone on a tangent to adopt cute little Punjabi babies.

by Anonymousreply 162November 26, 2023 11:21 AM

Diarrhoea for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

by Anonymousreply 163November 26, 2023 4:13 PM

R163 It's the old Mumbai mudslide.

by Anonymousreply 164November 26, 2023 5:02 PM

Fucking nasty

by Anonymousreply 165November 26, 2023 5:06 PM

Gangbangin’ killas

by Anonymousreply 166November 26, 2023 5:06 PM

Nah, it's just the Indian dribbly shits.

by Anonymousreply 167November 26, 2023 7:32 PM

Nothing like a good long shit to clean you out. Just hope the terlit doesn't clog and your TP holds out.

by Anonymousreply 168November 26, 2023 11:15 PM

I've only been on DL a couple of years. Was it always made up of so many elderly, racist shut-ins?

by Anonymousreply 169November 27, 2023 1:14 AM

[quote] They seem to hit the wall at 12.

Pity. Just as they’re approaching peak ripeness.

by Anonymousreply 170November 27, 2023 1:32 AM

I think the only people who would willingly go to India are seasoned travelers who go everywhere.

Pickier and less traveled people aren't usually going to visit such a difficult place.

by Anonymousreply 171November 27, 2023 2:28 AM

R169 Yes.

by Anonymousreply 172November 27, 2023 3:09 AM

I've had sufficient.

💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

by Anonymousreply 173November 27, 2023 3:16 AM

I've known five people who traveled to India and they all said it was a life-changing experience. I'm not sure what that means though.

by Anonymousreply 174November 27, 2023 4:05 AM

Their intestines will never be the same.

by Anonymousreply 175November 27, 2023 4:13 AM

On "The Amazing Race," India always kicks the spoiled Americans' asses. More than anywhere else on earth.

by Anonymousreply 176November 27, 2023 4:24 AM

I thanked India naked.

by Anonymousreply 177November 27, 2023 4:38 AM

r169 Yes

r171 Yes

r176 Yes

by Anonymousreply 178November 27, 2023 10:42 AM

Regarding the discussion earlier in this thread: Russians aren't rapists? Hmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179November 27, 2023 12:57 PM

I know a gay couple who went to India. They are well off, so they stayed in only the best hotels. They found the country's history and sites fascinating, but they both were bothered by the treatment and the luxury they could afford and were accorded (at one hotel they were greeted by attendants streaming rose petals along the way), and the abject poverty they saw everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 180November 27, 2023 1:35 PM

I've never been to India but this vlogger wasn't impressed. He said it's by far the most polluted country he's ever visited. Tuk tuk drivers following him and not taking "no" for an answer. It's especially depressing to see cows eating out of the trash at the 9:32 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 27, 2023 1:52 PM

Just watch the Oscars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 27, 2023 2:34 PM

I always think of this story when I hear about India:

[quote]Lakshmi's father, Shambhu, and mother, Poonam, were day labourers who earned less than 40 rupees per day and were unable to afford a separation surgery for their daughter. The daughter was named after Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of wealth (who is depicted as four-armed). The girl was sometimes an object of worship as an incarnation of the goddess; by the age of two, she was known all over India. At one point, a circus offered the couple money to buy Lakshmi as a sideshow, which forced the family into hiding

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183November 27, 2023 2:37 PM

I’m glad she was able to eventually work for NPR.

by Anonymousreply 184November 27, 2023 2:42 PM

R179, The Russians never believed the "Germans didn't know" lie. And they wanted revenge, even terrible revenge, for the Siege of Stalingrad.

by Anonymousreply 185November 27, 2023 4:24 PM

Going to places like this as a tourist would make me feel dirty, in the sense the excursion is little more than an exercise in privilege.

by Anonymousreply 186November 27, 2023 8:35 PM

Well, smell you.

by Anonymousreply 187November 27, 2023 11:00 PM

I recently had the misfortune of having an Indian tourist seated next to me at a fine dining establishment. His body odor was overpowering.

by Anonymousreply 188November 27, 2023 11:10 PM

I am not familiar with the customs of your country!

by Anonymousreply 189November 27, 2023 11:16 PM

Someone should start a charity that provides Indians deodorant upon their arrival to first world countries.

by Anonymousreply 190November 27, 2023 11:22 PM

Poonam?

by Anonymousreply 191November 28, 2023 12:27 AM

I live in a city with a lot of indian immigrants and I’ve been told many Indian business men enrol in etiquette and hygiene classes when they get here

by Anonymousreply 192November 28, 2023 12:29 AM

I get sick when go to Mexico (PV) almost every time. So my friend who had an extended consulting gig in India told me, "you can never go. Just don't even try". He knows me well. So I will happily watch a video of the subcontinent. But my delicate flower self shan't go in person.

by Anonymousreply 193November 28, 2023 12:45 AM

According to Wikipedia, the US has the highest number of Indians outside of India.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194November 28, 2023 12:46 AM

No wonder shitting in the streets has become so commonplace in the us

by Anonymousreply 195November 28, 2023 2:09 AM

R194, I'm shocked it's not the UK.

by Anonymousreply 196November 28, 2023 3:12 AM

I watched some Indian movies and got a sense of their culture. They seem to be more conservative. Gays don't continue the family.

Watch some Indian movies on Netflix, op.

by Anonymousreply 197November 28, 2023 3:37 AM

Their movies are messed up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198November 28, 2023 3:50 AM

Has anyone been to Pondicherry? And then Sri Aurobindo Ashram?

by Anonymousreply 199November 28, 2023 4:05 AM

Why would anyone go there?!?

by Anonymousreply 200November 28, 2023 9:54 AM

The Hawa Mahal Palace in Jaipur looks interesting, R200.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201November 28, 2023 12:16 PM

[quote] They seem to be more conservative

The understatement of the century.

by Anonymousreply 202November 28, 2023 12:24 PM

All 41 workers safely pulled out from collapsed tunnel in India.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203November 28, 2023 2:26 PM

The ruins of Hampi are incredible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204November 28, 2023 8:02 PM

To R197 and others re social conservatism in India, I didn’t find Indians to be particularly homophobic, certainly less so than in many other countries. But I did find an interesting dichotomy there. Many people I met were fine with my being gay. But still expected me to be married. To a woman. But I genuinely don’t believe that stems from homophobia as much as from an intense loyalty to tradition and an inability to view gay men in family-type relationships.

by Anonymousreply 205November 28, 2023 10:15 PM

R205, perhaps they put you, a foreigner, in an entirely different category than they would put fellow Indians. (I'm assuming you're not Indian, if you are - sorry and never mind.) They are tolerant because they see you as "the other", a strange people who don't matter in the long run. The marriage expectations are the result of growing up in a society that has no place for single men - an extreme anomaly in Indian society - or single women living independently.

by Anonymousreply 206November 28, 2023 11:55 PM

I know very little about Indian society but it seems there's an attitude that if a woman puts herself in a vulnerable place, it's her fault if she's raped. In 2012, there was the case of the young woman, Jyoti Singh, who went out to the movie theatre with a friend in the evening and later boarded a bus and was gang raped, tortured and died. It's hard for me to believe that such a society is accepting of gay men. If the brutal rape and torture of that young woman hadn't made international news, maybe the perpetrators wouldn't have been punished at all.

by Anonymousreply 207November 29, 2023 2:24 AM

They may be a bunch of macho brutal gang-rapists, but that silly sing-song accent leaves Momma’s Mussy drier than a Mormon Temple picnic in Death Valley!

by Anonymousreply 208November 29, 2023 3:17 AM

R207, you're correct but let's be honest, A LOT of Americans still believe that BS about it being the woman's fault in 2023.

by Anonymousreply 209November 29, 2023 1:56 PM

R206, you are correct. People in developing countries tend to be much nicer to white tourists versus the people from their own country (or even other "people of color"). Why? Because they know that they can get more money from foreign tourists.

by Anonymousreply 210November 29, 2023 1:57 PM

What about the Kama Sutra temples? That was the first depiction of sex I ever saw. Thanks a lot, history channel!

by Anonymousreply 211November 29, 2023 4:28 PM

Meghalaya is populated by the the Khasi people. They're one of the few matrilineal peoples populating this earth, so if you're a female traveler and weary of India, this is a safe spot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212December 4, 2023 3:24 PM

R212, matrilineal is not the same as matriarchal. It just means that inheritances, and sometimes names, are passed down through the mother. It says nothing about women's power or safety in society.

by Anonymousreply 213December 4, 2023 8:37 PM

R213, well, it's matriarchal, too. It was my favorite part of India.

by Anonymousreply 214December 4, 2023 9:42 PM

A melting pot of despair.

by Anonymousreply 215December 4, 2023 9:50 PM

A melting pot of despair, shit and curry.

by Anonymousreply 216December 4, 2023 10:41 PM

There are two types of people on this earth. Those who can handle India and those who can't.

by Anonymousreply 217December 5, 2023 9:37 AM

Indians have been posting on reddit lately about how the entire country is celebrating the suicide of an lgbt influencer, saying stuff like "one down now get the rest of them" etc. most of them are saying that extremely violent homophobic attitudes are the norm, the average indian wants gays dead.

by Anonymousreply 218December 5, 2023 9:39 AM

R207 iirc there have been large protests in support of rapists in india

by Anonymousreply 219December 5, 2023 9:40 AM

I like the burning tires around the neck in Africa better.

by Anonymousreply 220December 5, 2023 11:16 AM

I’d rather go to east St. Louis

by Anonymousreply 221December 5, 2023 2:26 PM

R221 we'd rather you go there too.

by Anonymousreply 222December 5, 2023 8:15 PM

Is the Taj Mahal worth it?

by Anonymousreply 223December 6, 2023 12:13 AM

Does Gary count?

I know I’ve been to South Bend, and some lake west of Cincinnati.

by Anonymousreply 224December 6, 2023 12:55 AM

I’m sure Gary is better than India

by Anonymousreply 225December 6, 2023 1:41 AM

R225, are you sure?

by Anonymousreply 226December 6, 2023 5:33 PM

[quote] I’m sure Gary is better than India

That’s ignorant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227December 6, 2023 6:07 PM

Da Taj Ma Hal

by Anonymousreply 228December 6, 2023 9:18 PM

never ever ever ever ever ever

by Anonymousreply 229December 6, 2023 9:22 PM

They’re nice once they’ve left India and have been socialized!

by Anonymousreply 230December 6, 2023 10:08 PM

Why would I visit a shit hole?

by Anonymousreply 231December 6, 2023 10:24 PM

I’d like to visit Tikka Masala.

by Anonymousreply 232December 6, 2023 10:27 PM

R218, I'm amazed that gets past Reddit moderators.

by Anonymousreply 233December 7, 2023 7:56 AM

I'll just watch Slumdog Millionaire and call it a night!

by Anonymousreply 234December 10, 2023 3:39 AM

Everything about the place gets on my last nerve. Especially the music.

by Anonymousreply 235December 10, 2023 11:35 AM

Bollywood movies are not my cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 236December 14, 2023 12:45 AM

The music is a nightmare

by Anonymousreply 237December 14, 2023 12:50 AM

R171, India (especially any of the cities) is definitely not for the first-time traveler, unless they want to experience the absolute crush of humanity.

by Anonymousreply 238December 14, 2023 5:11 AM

I don’t think India’s big cities are any harder to manage for a tourist than the biggest cities in the U.S. If visitors can deal with the NY subway system, Times Square, downtown LA… they should be just fine in Bangalore, Hyderabad, or Mumbai. Possibly safer, since in India there’s little threat of gun violence.

Speaking from experience in all of the above places.

by Anonymousreply 239December 15, 2023 1:46 AM

R233 homophobia is okay if it comes from brown people

by Anonymousreply 240December 15, 2023 1:54 AM

R239 there’s little threat of gun violence in either NYC’s subway/Times Square or DTLA. Safer there than virtually any big city in the US.

by Anonymousreply 241December 15, 2023 10:52 PM

Yes! That was my point, R240. I was being sarcastic because I've seen people at DL - apparently still living in 2010 - who decry Reddit as a sinkhole of right-wing ideology when in fact Reddit mods these days are ultra-"progressive" types.

by Anonymousreply 242December 15, 2023 11:31 PM

[quote] I don’t think India’s big cities are any harder to manage for a tourist than the biggest cities in the U.S.

I don't think there is anything in LA or NYC that can prepare someone for navigating 20 non-lanes of chaotic Delhi or Mumbai traffic.

by Anonymousreply 243December 16, 2023 3:39 AM

I've never been but it appears to be filthy.

by Anonymousreply 244December 16, 2023 3:59 AM

20 lanes of traffic weaving in every direction and a couple of cows in the middle of the street for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 245December 16, 2023 4:12 AM

Isn't India where diarrhea started?

by Anonymousreply 246December 16, 2023 4:27 AM

I was there and loved Gary but wish I had skipped Indianapolis.

by Anonymousreply 247December 16, 2023 4:34 AM

I don’t want to go to any country with gang rape issues and filth. You won’t catch me in South Africa either

by Anonymousreply 248December 16, 2023 5:09 AM

You won’t ketch me in Seth Efrica either.

by Anonymousreply 249December 16, 2023 5:26 AM

OP Do you realize that 48% of the population shit in public?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250December 16, 2023 5:52 AM

This fort is pretty amazing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251December 16, 2023 5:58 AM

The Holi Festival of colors!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252December 28, 2023 5:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253December 28, 2023 8:40 PM

India is shit bakla

by Anonymousreply 254December 28, 2023 10:09 PM

My favourite country!

by Anonymousreply 255December 29, 2023 1:22 AM

Poor, hot, and dirty. N. O.

by Anonymousreply 256December 29, 2023 1:43 AM

R1 Really? All I wanna do is hold my breath whenever I’m near Indian people.

by Anonymousreply 257December 29, 2023 1:46 AM

Rivers of feces

by Anonymousreply 258December 29, 2023 1:52 AM

R250 there’s the monstrous amount of gang rape as well.

by Anonymousreply 259December 31, 2023 10:56 AM

It’s pronounced Indi-AH

by Anonymousreply 260December 31, 2023 11:28 AM

Do NOT read Song of Kali if headed to Kolkata!

by Anonymousreply 261February 2, 2024 10:48 PM

Yuk

by Anonymousreply 262February 2, 2024 10:52 PM

1974 never ended for half this thread.

by Anonymousreply 263February 2, 2024 10:52 PM

Jannu and Kashmir valley is considered the Swiss Alps of India for good reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264February 2, 2024 10:54 PM

Who here has been listening to La India?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265February 2, 2024 11:01 PM

Mrs. Moore! Mrs. Moore!

by Anonymousreply 266February 2, 2024 11:43 PM

I say, r260!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267February 3, 2024 7:00 AM

“They shit everywhere!” Liars!

They don’t shit in the airport waiting area and if somebody does squat behind a row of seats, suddenly everyone is yelling and screaming while rolling their “R”s. Some of their shouts sound like English slurs!

Also, their scarves with gold detailing do not work with your anus.

by Anonymousreply 268February 3, 2024 9:49 AM

r264 JAMMU. It says so right in the headline of the article you posted.

by Anonymousreply 269February 3, 2024 11:27 AM

If I wanted explosive diarrhea I’d go to Waffle House…not sit in a plane reeking of BO.

by Anonymousreply 270February 3, 2024 2:57 PM

Jakku and Tatooine are considered the Tunisia of a galaxy far, far away for good reason.

by Anonymousreply 271February 3, 2024 3:32 PM

[quote] "My Indian friend says seeing the Himalayas are the only thing worth going to the trouble of traveling to India for."

I'll see them in Bhutan and Nepal, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 272February 3, 2024 3:40 PM

Why do so many Indians not wear deodorant? I live in a city with a huge Indian population and even here many do not wear it. What is the reason? Do they think Bo smells nice? I really wonder because once you’re in North America with running water and cheap deodorant available everywhere Bo is easy to get rid of.

by Anonymousreply 273February 3, 2024 7:02 PM

[quote] Do they think Bo smells nice?

[quote] Bo is easy to get rid of

Bo Luke?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274February 3, 2024 7:04 PM

R274, Bo Peep.

by Anonymousreply 275February 3, 2024 8:15 PM

LOVE IT!

by Anonymousreply 276February 3, 2024 11:48 PM

[quote] Indians have been posting on reddit lately about how the entire country is celebrating the suicide of an lgbt influencer, saying stuff like "one down now get the rest of them" etc. most of them are saying that extremely violent homophobic attitudes are the norm, the average indian wants gays dead.

So, like the American south?

by Anonymousreply 277February 3, 2024 11:57 PM

I spent time in Goa for a few years after my parents died. He traveled widely, so I got to see a lot by train and realize how wonderfully different the states and cities were.

Since then I've had business, mainly in West Bengal, based in Tamluk, and getting to Assam a lot. I have friends from when I was a kid in Karnataka, and see them every other year, or we meet in Hyderabad.

The crap-and-primitive-hellhole reflexes here are just that - stereotypical reflexes for cuntery or hate speech. Yeah, it's bad for many/most, especially compare to the first world. The wealth imbalance is worse than in the USA. Corruption is ubiquitous and religious divides are worse than ever. The Hindu temple in Uttar Pradesh is a fascist kick at the Muslim minority, with Modi pushing it like the Trumpian he is.

by Anonymousreply 278February 4, 2024 12:49 AM

R272 A West Viridiana mocking India?! Now I’ve seen everything….some nerve.

by Anonymousreply 279February 4, 2024 2:20 AM

*Virginian

by Anonymousreply 280February 4, 2024 2:20 AM

R278, are you familiar with the Andaman Islands? I've heard that as far as tropical beaches go, it doesn't get better than that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281February 8, 2024 8:13 AM

R281, I've heard that North Sentinel Island is especially pristine. People love it so much that, if they visit, they never leave!

by Anonymousreply 282February 8, 2024 8:36 AM

R282, why, you dirty rat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283February 8, 2024 8:39 AM

R278, We're not talking just about "wealth imbalance." And what we are talking about isn't a canard.

by Anonymousreply 284February 8, 2024 3:53 PM

I want pinga india

by Anonymousreply 285February 8, 2024 4:23 PM

I had an Indian friend who grew up in Africa. She was a strict Hindu, arranged marriage (divorced and got along well with ex). Emigrated to the US from Africa. Visited India as an adult and said, “Don’t go, the poverty is extreme. It was very upsetting to me and I grew up in Africa. Someone who grew up in America will be even more upset.”

by Anonymousreply 286February 8, 2024 6:04 PM

There is no other place on this earth like India!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287February 9, 2024 4:51 AM

I loved "The City of Joy" (Kolkata). Patrick Swayze's best role, IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288February 20, 2024 3:58 AM

Oh look another example of why you may not want to visit.

Yes, it's western traveller gang rape time again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289March 3, 2024 5:55 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290March 3, 2024 12:10 PM

What is it with Indians and gang raping? It sounds even worse than South Africa

by Anonymousreply 291March 4, 2024 4:03 AM

No thank you, Indians are some of the RUDEST people I have ever met. They are ALWAYS late & dont care, they are always looking for a deal or a discount. I cringe & couldnt imagine a country full of them.......

by Anonymousreply 292March 4, 2024 6:02 AM

r292 would you say ALL Indians?

by Anonymousreply 293March 4, 2024 10:28 AM

I met one really hot polite Indian guy.

by Anonymousreply 294March 4, 2024 8:22 PM

I can never see me in India. I’m like the complete polar opposite of someone who would visit there.

by Anonymousreply 295March 4, 2024 10:52 PM

I went there last year, mainly to see the Taj Mahal. I am hoping to complete the New 7 Wonders of the World (only left is Great Wall of China-yay!). I stayed in New Delhi and took a private day tour to Taj. All in all, it wasn't that bad and the people are quite nice. But I don't see myself coming back. Oh btw, I had an explosive diarrhea for about 2 days out of the 4 days I was there😒.

by Anonymousreply 296March 4, 2024 11:34 PM

Talk about burying the lede, R296

by Anonymousreply 297March 4, 2024 11:47 PM

There is no way. If my former company had asked me to go for any reason whatsoever, I would have feigned surgery to get out of it. There's no way. I love looking at some of the amazing ruins and temples people have posted here. But that is all I will ever do when it comes to India. Look at someone else's pictures. I am a fussy, snobby, semi-germaphobe and I gag at even the smell of a baby diaper full of poo. I know my place and it not India.

by Anonymousreply 298March 5, 2024 12:16 AM

For some reason, I think India smells like REALLY bad B.O. Makes me retch.

by Anonymousreply 299March 5, 2024 1:54 AM

The B.O. must have evolved as a rape deterrent.

There's a status gained for young men based on how ripe your body odor can become. But I'm not sure why would they continue this practice in the West. Some Indians do smell okay but the majority have B.O. Food isn't really an excuse as Indians who practice good hygiene eat the same food but don't smell as awful.

I hate to see Indians using gym equipment when they radiate the smell of old ass, rancid onions, and spices and then not wiping down after they use.

by Anonymousreply 300March 5, 2024 2:40 AM

It’s true r300 I’ve smelled curry and garlic on clean Indian people and that is not an excuse for the Bo problem. Bo is very different from those smells

by Anonymousreply 301March 5, 2024 4:27 AM

it would never occur to me to go on holiday to one of the most overcrowded nations on earth.

by Anonymousreply 302March 5, 2024 4:39 AM

it would never occur to me to go on holiday to a country with multiple mass shootings of children

by Anonymousreply 303March 6, 2024 9:52 AM

r303 that means you'd never visit the USA, right?

by Anonymousreply 304March 6, 2024 11:25 AM

R304 = irony challenged

by Anonymousreply 305March 6, 2024 12:26 PM

R301, that may be a laundry issue more than a bathing issue. Some of those cooking smells cling like cigarette smoke.

by Anonymousreply 306March 7, 2024 8:24 AM

^^^cling to CLOTHES like cigarette smoke

by Anonymousreply 307March 7, 2024 8:25 AM

an indian college friend in the 90s is from a .001% family. she invited me for a long spring break. of course we flew private and the entire visit was extra lux. another world. so many servants

by Anonymousreply 308March 7, 2024 10:23 AM

R300/R301, a lot of Indians who live in America and other countries cook their food with tons of spices and garlic, onions, etc. without opening windows. That is a recipe for smelly clothes and skin.

by Anonymousreply 309March 7, 2024 12:52 PM

R309 There is a vast difference between the smell of cooked spices and the smell that dead bacteria creates on unwashed glandular areas such as armpits.

by Anonymousreply 310March 7, 2024 1:34 PM

R310, yes, truth is, a lot of the people who smell also don't wear deodorant or care about its existence. That, combined with the smell of spices and garlic and onions on the skin, is a lot. Also, some of these people attempt to cover it up with cologne/perfume.

by Anonymousreply 311March 7, 2024 1:41 PM

I will say, Indians are not the worst offenders when it comes to attempting to cover up BO with fragrances. In my experience, that award goes to people from Middle Eastern countries.

by Anonymousreply 312March 7, 2024 2:44 PM

Like bad or overapplied perfume, rancid, stale body odor is an assault on the senses.

by Anonymousreply 313March 7, 2024 2:49 PM

Never in a million years. I've been to Queens, NY. I've had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 314March 7, 2024 3:28 PM

I've found "middle eastern" men quite clean if yes, over perfumed.

by Anonymousreply 315March 7, 2024 5:59 PM

Very cheap eats! At one all you can eat vegetarian restaurant we were given compartmentalized trays. The servers would come around with buckets and ladle the various items in each: curry, bread, yogurt, etc. Overall, the dining there is outstanding!

The traffic makes Manhattan and L. A. seem deserted in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 316March 7, 2024 6:39 PM

I get daily calls from their scammers - evil preying on people

by Anonymousreply 317March 7, 2024 10:12 PM

Why don’t the ones who move to the west wear deodorant? Surely they must find out about it when they get here

by Anonymousreply 318March 8, 2024 4:18 AM

R317 Scammers trained by the big Western companies who stupidly thought these people were trustworthy.

by Anonymousreply 319March 9, 2024 9:05 PM

R301 you thinks it’s easy dumping that olde right wing bitch??

by Anonymousreply 320March 15, 2024 12:29 PM

Ewwww no

by Anonymousreply 321March 21, 2024 1:10 AM

No thx. Like an overpopulated toilet

by Anonymousreply 322March 21, 2024 1:14 AM

It was on my bucket list. Then COVID hit. I had a choice. Egypt or India. I chose Egypt and I am not sorry. It was a wonderful experience.

by Anonymousreply 323March 21, 2024 1:16 AM

2001. Had money and I hired a young man to be my fuck toy and interpreter and travel companion. The travel was amazing and the fucking was even better.

Went home drained.

by Anonymousreply 324March 21, 2024 2:01 AM

R324 because of dysentery?

by Anonymousreply 325March 21, 2024 2:17 AM

Cholera R325. It can really knock a girl out.

by Anonymousreply 326March 21, 2024 3:47 AM

Had to go to Bangalore for work. It was very modern and nice. I was only there five days.

by Anonymousreply 327March 21, 2024 12:14 PM

Talk about bottom of my bucket list...

by Anonymousreply 328March 22, 2024 2:49 AM

I try not visit countries that people are fleeing from en masse

by Anonymousreply 329April 2, 2024 2:52 AM

I have to say. One of the things I have seen in my travels is poverty. I know people from other counties depend on tourism, but I just cannot do it anymore. I cannot go to a country where the poverty and class distinctions are so sharp. So that eliminates Southeast Asia, Indian Africa, and parts of the Middle East. The disparities make me very uncomfortable enjoying all the amenities of a nice hotel with servants.

by Anonymousreply 330April 2, 2024 4:19 AM

With my luck I'd visit and get stuck there due to some virus outbreak or planes falling out of the sky. There is no way I would even take a flight where I had to switch planes in India to get somewhere else. No fucking way. I am way too white, way too soft and way too rich.

by Anonymousreply 331April 2, 2024 4:30 AM

We went in July of 2020 as my husband had business & he insisted I go along....... The air alone gave me diarrhea for the entire trip. I was miserable, then seeing all the poverty made me more miserable. We stayed in really nice hotels that cater to westerners & everyone was really nice. Although everyone smells like turmeric, BO & fried food..... I would have had a MUCH better time if I didnt need a toilet every 20 minutes. We did a day tip out to a temple in Kerala & I had to go so bad, our driver wouldn't pull over until he could find me western toilet, I yelled "Unless you want me to shit in your van, PULL OVER". There I was, in the WORST "bathroom" squatting over a hole that seemed to be where flies came from........ The worst.......It was 98 degrees & 120% humidity..... When I came out, the husband was concerned, I said "That was the WORST EVER"!!! I can still smell it....... Never again

by Anonymousreply 332April 2, 2024 5:41 AM

I enjoy watching Indian movies. Not the Bollywood movies, but more modern plot driven movies that are pretty good. I vividly remember watching one that required some of the characters to stay at a posh, western style hotel where one of the characters worked. I was shocked to see that in the private service areas of the hotel, things weren't too much different from the way they were on the streets and the rest of the city. The posh western decor and manners were a facade. The kitchen, the laundry the service areas were a filthy mess.

by Anonymousreply 333April 2, 2024 12:30 PM

[quote] I cannot go to a country where the poverty and class distinctions are so sharp.

Does that eliminate the U.S.?

by Anonymousreply 334April 2, 2024 12:32 PM

r33 have you seen Pather Panchali?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335April 3, 2024 5:53 PM

R335 it looks depressing, but I may try to check it out. He was a great director. At least it's not Bollywood with chorus of singing and dancing Indians.

by Anonymousreply 336April 3, 2024 6:19 PM

It's very good, r336

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337April 3, 2024 6:22 PM

My desi ex and I saw the Apu Trilogy decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 338April 3, 2024 10:19 PM

I too am a big fan of Apu

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339April 4, 2024 12:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!