Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

iPhone vs Android?

Which is better? I’ve only ever had iPhones. I get annoyed how much they block in terms of apps. However, would it really be worth it to switch over to Android? Has anyone used both? Which do you prefer and why?

by Anonymousreply 96November 22, 2023 6:53 PM

Don’t buy a Samsung. I worked for those fuckers for a hot minute and they’re racist, homophobic, And sexist.

by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2023 1:52 AM

I had BlackBerrys way back in the day and loved them. I switched to an iPhone around the time the iPhone 4 came out, and later got an iPhone 5S before going back to the new BlackBerry phones that ran Android software (I also owned a Samsung at one point as well). I will never buy anything that runs Android again—glitchy as hell, froze up all the time, and on numerous occasions was nearly inoperable. I have always preferred Macintosh computers but have never been an iPhone queen; however, I can say with experience that iPhones run smoother and last longer. I also find them more intuitive than Android software, which is kind of messy and difficult to navigate. I refuse to fall for their yearly cash grab by upgrading (I still own an iPhone 12 and plan on keeping it until I break it), but their products reign supreme for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2023 2:06 AM

"how much they block in terms of apps"

such as?

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2023 2:14 AM

It depends if you are in the Apple ecosystem. Apple watches only work with iPhones so if you have one of those, you have to get a new smart watch. If you have a Mac then your phone won't integrate as smoothly. IPhones are more secure, inherently because of that closed ecosystem. Android has to work on a variety of hardware and is at its root, open source.

by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2023 2:18 AM

I can't help but wonder what kind of Android-running and/or Samsung phones you are all getting? Or maybe what kind of software are you loading on to these phones? I've owned Android-based phones for well over a decade and kept all my phones until they were absolutely run into the ground (usually 3+ years or more) and i've NEVER had my phones "freeze up" or "glitch out."

i've begun using an iPhone (8) since July (for work) and I can unequivocally say i absolutely hate it. Happily, i will most likely upgrade to an Android based phone within the next few months as this was an older model i inherited, we are going to revamp our plan and cash in on some phone incentives and I'm the Office Administrator for the company who gets to ultimately make those decisions.

i won't even get into how shitty i think the iPhone is and what about it i don't like, as i have no more energy to give toward my disdain for it. Suffice it to say the only good thing i've found so far is its sound quality is pretty damn good. But that's really of no use to me on a work phone.

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2023 2:19 AM

Being trapped in the Apple walled garden is great if you have a bunch of Apple products to keep you company in there.

It's funny to read r5 venting his spleen on a 6 year old phone

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2023 2:36 AM

r5 I am with you. Used android all my life till work gave me a 14. I hate it...nothing is where it should logically be. Like turning off auto screen brightness. It is buried in settings in the oddest place. Not in display of course. I hate there is no app drawer just icons all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2023 2:37 AM

r5 Seek help.

by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2023 2:38 AM

What is your native language, r5?

by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2023 2:46 AM

All Apple, all the time.

by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2023 2:53 AM

The iPhone users show who they are by throwing insults instead of actually engaging in genuine discourse.

Also, there were no run-on sentences in my response. The only thing it lacked for readability was a colon (:) and perhaps numbers added for the reasons I was naming in one of the sentences. So here: this is for those of you who have a difficult time understanding compound sentences:

Happily, i will most likely upgrade to an Android based phone within the next few months as: 1) this was an older model i inherited, 2) we are going to revamp our plan and cash in on some phone incentives, and 3) I'm the Office Administrator for the company who gets to ultimately make those decisions.

Lastly, I should note that i realize this is an older iPhone, but i have used other iPhones in the past (to assist Executives, etc), and I agree with the poster upthread: nothing seems logical about where they put things, and usually requires a bit of digging around. I should also mention that before I bought Samsungs (using Android), i had Motorolas and LGs. Oh, also used Blackberries in the aughts and liked those too.

Not a fan of Apple at all. I do miss my First Generation iPod that was stolen in 2017 though. Loved that thing.

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2023 2:58 AM

Android for life.

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2023 2:59 AM

My DL experience is so enhanced by the insufferable R5 being tucked away in my "Ignore" file. Homelife? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2023 3:09 AM

They say there are two kinds of people, OP. Choose wisely.

by Anonymousreply 14November 16, 2023 3:28 AM

Fuck you

by Anonymousreply 15November 16, 2023 3:33 AM

Why are android vs Apple fights so vicious

by Anonymousreply 16November 16, 2023 3:39 AM

I love my Samsung, which has never "glitched" or "froze up," and am certain OP will choose what's best for him.

by Anonymousreply 17November 16, 2023 3:44 AM

I've not used both. I don't think many people have.

I think if you have an Apple computer and you use iCloud, I'd stay with an iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 18November 16, 2023 3:51 AM

I love Samsung. Friend of mine switched from the Samsung to the iphone and she hated the iphone.

I like Mac products but they are all very overpriced. I just bought a new pc this year for work and needed a very high end model. My PC cost me almost $6000. The Mac that had similar specs would have been well over $15,000.

A fool and his money...

by Anonymousreply 19November 16, 2023 4:19 AM

I have always had Android phones. They have never caused any problems. However, it is irritating that iphone users cannot send video clips or certain pictures to Android users - at least they can send them, but often they will not get through or cannot be read on the Android end. That's bullshit....

by Anonymousreply 20November 16, 2023 4:40 AM

Got a Pixel 8 Pro. Better cameras and image apps than iPhone.

You couldn't pay me to own an iPhone at this point. I can't stand the smug, and the way iPhone users are in such a cult, their entire ego bound up in owning Apple products. Also, I just believe monocultures are bad, in nature AND in tech. With Android you have so many more options in terms of hardware, services, apps, and more. You aren't tied to just one company who does EVERYTHING and controls EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2023 4:57 AM

R20, be aware that's Apples' fault. Apple could support every single iMessage function with Android people on the other end if they simply supported the global RCS standard. But they refuse to, instead preferring to make the experience of Android people interacting with iPhone people as shitty as possible. They do this deliberately to make iPhone users think their phone and OS are superior and to annoy Android users with tons of iPhone friends into switching to iPhone. It's unscrupulous and user-hostile and I hate Apple for it.

by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2023 4:59 AM

Android, because you can sideload apps. I recommend the open source version of youtube called NewPipe, which lets you skip ads. I fucking hate Apple.

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2023 5:04 AM

R11 “engaging in genuine discourse.”

We have tried genuine discourse in the past. Always ends in tears.

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2023 5:22 AM

R7 clearly hasn’t found the App Library.

by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2023 5:22 AM

"You couldn't pay me to own an iPhone at this point. I can't stand the smug,"

The irony, r21

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2023 10:49 AM

Who in the name of Christ would steal a first generation iPod in 2017?

by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2023 10:54 AM

It really is so odd that people are defensive about their phone brands, of all things. I use iphone, but it's primarily because I have used a Mac for so long for my video editing. I like my phone - it's fine - but IT'S A PHONE. I can browse, call, text, take photos. Wooooo. I could not possibly care any less about the brand of someone else's phone - baffling that some do.

Genuinely the only thing I've heard as a negative about non-apple phones is the (alleged) security risks via rogue apps, more open platform, etc.

This 'OMG I WOULD NEVER FUCKING OWN XYZ, I AM FAR TOO SMART FOR THAT." OR "HELL NO, YOU WOULD NEVER CATCH ME WITH ABC PHONE" is quite perplexing and entertaining. I think those enraged by that debate aren't able to discuss things of higher importance? What is so precious about this little phone?

by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2023 10:56 AM

Do like me, OP -- eschew mobiles completely. Save much money!

Instead get an iPad mini with cellular. Your friends and family with iPhones can talk to you using FaceTime Voice if they want. Who cares if Android users are SOL for voice? They can text you or send an email.

What is so fucking important in your life that you need to be reachable by phone 24/365?

by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2023 11:03 AM

What a great thread from 2012!

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2023 11:32 AM

Android is for poor people who have to get phones at Cricket

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2023 11:38 AM

Scientific studies have been done on this topic--really. IPhone users tend to be bigger jerks and more status conscious. This thread proves those studies correct.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2023 11:51 AM

Android owner = mall shopper and cable television subscriber

iPhone owner = boutique shopper and multi streaming service user

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2023 1:43 PM

Every informed tech outlet will say the same thing they’ve been saying for years and years - google and Samsung make the best phones. There are a few apps where Apple has rigged the game against android users but for the most part the UIs are far superior across the board. Better display, better camera, faster processor, full user control and os customization, the iPhone provides more social capital and better looking Snapchat pictures. Regulators will eventually force Apple to accept new forms of messaging. I forgot the term but iPhones force messages that aren’t iMessage into the old sms format specifically to discourage people from not buying iPhones via social shame.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2023 1:48 PM

R28 “Yes, of all things!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2023 2:06 PM

R26, it's irony. Please refer to R31 for why.

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2023 2:06 PM

If you don't use a Mac, I can't imagine why you'd use an iPhone.

The only reason to use an iPhone at this point is because you're already invested (trapped) in the Apple ecosystem.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2023 2:07 PM

Personally, I am a Mac user since the 80s, and I am deep in the Apple ecosystem (not trapped.) For me, the way Apple organizes settings, both on iPhone, and Mac makes complete sense, and Windows and Android seem unintuitive, so I guess it is all about what you are used to.

I like the integration between Apple products, and how long they last. I jumped off the yearly upgrade bandwagon years ago, though I did just upgrade from a 12 to a 15, mainly because I figured that this would be the last year to get a decent trade in for my old phone.

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2023 2:16 PM

Owned an adroid in the past but my last two phones have been iPhones. Prefer the iPhone but one of the updates caused problems when I linked to my car radio. Couldn't hear the sound and had to max the volume in the car. Problem has mostly gone away but comes back when using Google maps.

Hate iTunes especially when transferring from one device to another and don't use a Mac.

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2023 2:20 PM

I love my Pixel phone. There is a grain of truth in what R33 says -- I think that iPhone users' household income is still a smidge more than Android users'.

But I don't think that getting an Android makes you lose your income or lose access to "boutiques," if that's important to you!

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2023 2:29 PM

I've always used Macs for my computer and tablet, but I loathe the iPhone. I like how customizable the UI on Android. In all honesty I miss LGs, and in the earlier days their was airdroid and Android file transfer for my Mac to communicate with the non apple devices. As of now, the smart switch feature makes moving from one device to another without worry. Didn't get everything right when you were switching devices, go to settings and manually select everything you want moved, put new phone in contact with the old, and everything goes. Custom themes, all txt msgs, etc. Since apple music is also on Android my music library also easily transfers. They'd have to pull an HTC 'ultrapixel' move to put me off at this point.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2023 2:32 PM

I have a google Pixel 6a, it runs our android and I’m very happy with it. There are some good Black Friday offers for the Pixel 7.

by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2023 3:17 PM

I've only used Samsung Android phones. The only Apple product I've ever owned was an iPod, and I got annoyed at how difficult it was to upload music to and how limited its support for various audio formats was, so it turned me off from Apple products forever.

I've always had the feeling that most iPhone users aren't tech-savvy people and just want a device that does what they want it to; one thing iOS does well is simplify the mobile UI experience. Android leans a little more toward people who want to really tinker with their devices and customize them down to the smallest detail.

Admittedly, Android was a really clunky interface during the early days. The first few versions of Android were slow, buggy and messy, and the first devices had inferior hardware. So I could see why it would have made a bad first impression on people. That's not a problem anymore.

Another thing that turned me off from iPhones is that I find them kind of ugly compared to other phones. The design language sometimes makes them look like toys rather than advanced pieces of technology.

by Anonymousreply 43November 16, 2023 4:24 PM

[quote]Personally, I am a Mac user since the 80s, and I am deep in the Apple ecosystem (not trapped.)

Yes. You are trapped. I don't know why you even try to deny it.

by Anonymousreply 44November 16, 2023 4:29 PM

[quote]In all honesty I miss LGs

I am still using an LG V30, it's a fantastic phone, perfect for me. Alas, there's nothing quite like it on the market now, and it's getting to the point I need to upgrade, so I'll be using a Pixel 8 Pro soon.

by Anonymousreply 45November 16, 2023 4:31 PM

Buy iPhones - I have stock in Apple

by Anonymousreply 46November 16, 2023 4:52 PM

I must defend my phone!! Mine is better. Studies prove it. Those who use other phones aren't as cool as me and are foolish.

by Anonymousreply 47November 16, 2023 4:58 PM

"I'll have you know I do not shop in malls. I prefer thrift stores and tag sales!"

by Anonymousreply 48November 16, 2023 5:10 PM

I switched from an Iphone to a Samsung a few years ago and I have really regretted it. Android is definitely not as intuitive as an Iphone. It's always 2-4 additional steps to get things done and the settings are kind of a nightmare to navigate as well.

by Anonymousreply 49November 16, 2023 5:14 PM

You don't get to speak for me, R44. I am not "trapped" in the Apple ecosystem. I use Apple products, I enjoy Apple products, their OS, and the integration of their devices. You don't get to determine if I am trapped or not.

by Anonymousreply 50November 16, 2023 5:16 PM

I have always had android. Loved my LG Velvet that I had for 5 years at least. Just replaced it with a China special bought off Amazon. It is a downgrade for sure but not that bad. For$100 vs. $600-800 for a better android. Who cares? I don't need a fancy phone this one does everything I need.

by Anonymousreply 51November 16, 2023 5:31 PM

iPhones always seemed to be mainly a US thing for some reason (70% phone sales globally are Android), maybe related to how they are sold over there? To me Apple products have always been clearly built for form over function, and to tie you into their ecosystem.

by Anonymousreply 52November 16, 2023 6:09 PM

R50 doesn't apparently understand what the word 'trapped' means.

You can be quite happy in your little trap, but you're trapped nevertheless.

by Anonymousreply 53November 16, 2023 6:18 PM

R50 doesn't understand the concept of vendor lock-in.

by Anonymousreply 54November 16, 2023 6:19 PM

I confident the Beta format will win out!

by Anonymousreply 55November 16, 2023 6:26 PM

Samsung Fold here. I will never give it up. The watch also. Apple is just an accessory, like a purse. It is about as useful as one, as a phone.

by Anonymousreply 56November 16, 2023 6:30 PM

My phone is better than yours

by Anonymousreply 57November 16, 2023 7:08 PM

R45, R51 I wish they'd become a contender in the US market again. The first phone I LOVED was the LG enV2, at one point I had my grandmother on my plan and she used it with ease. The

by Anonymousreply 58November 16, 2023 7:23 PM

^ hiccup with that posting prematurely, but the G series was also a great device. Had an infrared blaster, could use as a remote to any TV, or cable service provider and I could easily control tvs throughout the house from one room.

The best cellphones are not sold in the US anymore, it's unfortunate, but the herd loves the blocky iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 59November 16, 2023 7:27 PM

Stop being a slave to your smart mobiles!

Get dumb mobile, aka a "flip phone."

by Anonymousreply 60November 16, 2023 7:53 PM

Mac products are for simpletons who don't understand anything about how computers work. They need shit spoon fed to them so Mac makes their products more "user friendly" which is a term for "idiots."

PC's and Androids are for the smarter people who likely can build their own computers for 1/2 the cost of Macs.

by Anonymousreply 61November 16, 2023 8:44 PM

^^ mall shopper

by Anonymousreply 62November 16, 2023 8:47 PM

Idiot ^^

by Anonymousreply 63November 16, 2023 8:50 PM

I use an Iphone now but have used Android in the past. I’ve always had problems with Safari for some reason on every phone. I’m thinking when I upgrade and transfer my data, the problem gets passed from phone to phone. Anyway, I do feel a bit trapped because most of my family and friends have Iphones and I take and send a lot of photos and vids. My brother who has a Pixel which he loves, can never see my videos clearly and pictures are sometimes blurry. If that could be fixed, I’d get a Pixel myself because I feel it has a better camera and I won’t have problems.

by Anonymousreply 64November 16, 2023 9:13 PM

I had 4 Iphones from 2010 though 2021, and now I've owned a Xiaomi for almost three years.

Advantages

Iphone : Better audio, better screen, better respect in regards to your privacy, much better to watch movies, safari is the best web browser for smartphones.

My Android phone : Better camera, MUCH BETTER and longer lasting battery, better upgrades that happen automatically, better video and photo editing tools, greater variety of apps ( I could even play GTA San Andreas if I wanted too, this isn't the case with the Iphone) , better zoom, FAR EASIER to download ANYTHING from the internet ( movies, pictures, whatever) it feels like the phone is new even after two and a half years of use, if I lose my charging cable, I don't have to buy another one, I can just charge my phone with my Nintendo Switch charger or any other random USB cable.

Conclusion : There's NO perfect smartphone, it's up to you OP, any smart phone that you buy will have its flaws. You have to get used to them. Make your choice, I am willing to go back to the Iphone one day, but I DON'T regret having bought my Android phone at all, it always baffles me when I see people who only have had Iphones swear that they are the only good phones and that's impossible to be satisfied with any other phone, I guess it's the herd mentality.

by Anonymousreply 65November 16, 2023 9:28 PM

R65, why do you think Safari is the best phone browser?

by Anonymousreply 66November 16, 2023 9:49 PM

R66 : It's a bit faster, it can open high resolution images that are basically blocked in the Google image search, and allows me to watch YouTube in vertical mode, instead of full screen (technically I can also do that using the Opera browser, but it always crashes and it's very shitty compared to safari or chrome)

by Anonymousreply 67November 16, 2023 10:23 PM

I've had more phones and experience than anyone else and my choice is better. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 68November 16, 2023 11:05 PM

R67, thanks. Why don't you just install the YouTube app, though? I hate installing unnecessary apps, but the YouTube app on iPhone is really nice, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 69November 17, 2023 3:02 AM

I'm the earlier poster who complained (at r5 and r11) about iPhones and my issues with them.

I think it's interesting that (although i never mentioned it in either of my posts), based on these responses, it seems to me to show:

- the people that like iPhones tend to fit people that want something super easy that they don't have to think too much about - iPhone users also don't care much about any sort of customization - iPhone users don't tend to have much (if any) experience with understanding computers and their capabilities; and what and how those capabilities might or would enable a person to create (in terms of a computer experience). - how many people seem to think that owning an iPhone seems to equate some sort of elevated status (i.e. - Android users are some bargain basement individuals that HAVE to buy cheap phones, otherwise they'd buy iPhone)

I was a person who went full throttle in the mid 90s and lived on my computer and online. i bought computers, then learned to upgrade my box to my specs, ripping out or adding components and programs willy nilly. Although I'm not really at that level anymore and buy my computers pre-equipped (although I did physically upgrade my own RAM - on my own - 4 years ago), i DO tend to be the "custom installation" type person rather than just installing at will whatever is suggested. Also, I have (many times) gone into the registry and edited crap to remove and make my computer experience what i want. i'm a bit fearless in that respect, and have even done that recently with my work computer when unhappy with features of Office 365.

And that's why i chose (back in the Aughts) (after a few years of initially anticipating) to NOT buy into Apple products, even though i loved my iPod i received as a gift in the mid 2000s. It seemed really insular and not customizable from the start for me, and then i was very quickly priced out of their constant new upgrades/necessary features and bullshit you needed to get with each new release...otherwise your phone wouldn't work anymore. I saw a Monopoly and planned obsolescence after the first few years of release, so didn't adopt at that time because BlackBerry served me well and i moved out of a workplace that needed work phones as a necessity.

I've worked at many other workplaces since then, and thankfully, haven't had to make a choice about "work phones" until now. I've tried to maintain a separation between work and personal life telecommunications. But it's now coming up since our org has its ED as an iPhone/Mac person and the rest of us as Android/PC people. He is the one who sees that it's just not working well to try to get the two platforms to communicate, and he is the 60+ year old person in our group (we are all younger). Nobody is making him see it - he got there himself.

Anyways, i'm sure i'll be roasted over this post, but i just wanted to point out what many posters said without my own comment on why i like Android over iPhone, and why people seem to gravitate toward one or the other. Each are very unlike the other in terms of personality and needs.

That said, carry on with whatever phone works for you or makes life easier, WITHOUT costing you xx amount of hours from your life in whatever way that makes sense for YOU. if it's iPhone because it's easier and all the features work for you and your life, fine. If it's Android because it has many options, makes sense and seems customizable for you without boundaries, good.

All our phones should just strive to get along without (purposely) having compatibility issues. We don't have landlines anymore, so...

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!

by Anonymousreply 70November 17, 2023 7:55 AM

R70 get a blog

by Anonymousreply 71November 17, 2023 9:48 AM

We poors have no luxury of choice. I use an Android (Tracfone) because I can't even dream of buying an iPhone or Apple anything. I can barely even afford to eat apples these days.

Thanks for listening.

by Anonymousreply 72November 17, 2023 10:19 AM

The vast majority of users do NOT want to custom configure their smart phones. Instead they just want a smart phone that works well doing what they ask it to do.

This is where Apple shines.

As they once advertised with the slogan: "It just works."

by Anonymousreply 73November 17, 2023 11:03 AM

Another LG fan here - mourning their decision to discontinue phones. I had 2 LG Stylos as a “second” phone - the user interface experience was exceptional. And Stylos were one of LG’s budget phones.

I currently have an iPhone and a Samsung. The Android operating system seems faster and more intuitive (but I am left-handed so I don’t know if that’s a factor.) iPhones are tight, cute little devices, and the sound quality may be better, but it’s easier to navigate an Android. I hate that Apple chargers and other accessories are specific only to Apple which sucks for the ecosystem. I believe Apple was either sued or shamed into compliance regarding the chargers and going forward they will be standardized.

by Anonymousreply 74November 17, 2023 11:54 AM

Google Pixel is best

by Anonymousreply 75November 17, 2023 11:55 AM

But who wants to be "the vast majority of users", R73?

I started out with an iPhone when smartphones began, until after a year or so of rage and loathing I literally threw it at a wall and and went and got a Samsung. I hated that its advertising centred not round what it could do, but how you could configure it to LOOK. I hated the ridiculous battery life and that you couldn't remove the battery, the constant software updates, each with a warning that the vast T&Cs had changed but no summary of the changes, so you had to read the whole lot again (I know--Apple users ignore them but I'm clearly not cut out to be an Apple user so I read them). Above all, I hated that I couldn't drag and drop files and photos between my phone and computer. Everything had to go through iTunes, get turned into an Apple proprietary file, and then had to be manually converted back into something my non-Apple PC could understand. I hated going to the Genius Bar and having them tell me the phone wouldn't do something that was in its own brochure, and then having a friend do it in five seconds when I got back steaming mad.

I hated every last thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 76November 17, 2023 12:10 PM

Bless your heart. ^^

by Anonymousreply 77November 17, 2023 1:05 PM

So what if iPhone users don't want to think hard and understand the inner workings of computers. This just proves the point that an iPhone is a superior product.

Every other product is considered a good product if it's intuitive, if grandma can use it, if it's a no-brainer. Now, suddenly, an iPhone is an inferior product because it's a no-brainer?

Frankly, I've only ever used iPhones, so I've never compared it to anything else.

But the logic here is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 78November 17, 2023 2:17 PM

[quote]This just proves the point that an iPhone is a superior product.

No, it doesn't. Playschool kiddy versions of things are not superior products to the real adult things they emulate.

You're missing the point, by a mile.

Your lack of understanding and grasping the points being made is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 79November 17, 2023 2:48 PM

'Good', isn't enough, and 'Good' is also highly subjective as are the users who choose one vs another.

I prefer excellent, and again, that is also subjective given the users requirements.

by Anonymousreply 80November 17, 2023 3:36 PM

My sister has always been a Mac person because she is of the mindset that if something is more expensive, then it must be better.

I cannot tell you how many times she's called me (a PC and Android user) with computer questions that were so basic a child could answer them. She recently told me she was having issues with the internet. My question to her was, "Well, which browser are you using?"

Her response was, "What's a browser?"

I rest my case.

by Anonymousreply 81November 17, 2023 9:27 PM

And I forgot this one! When she moved into a new house, she went to the Apple store to tell them she wanted Apple TV. She thought it was an actual TV. They sold her the device that attaches to her TV. I went to her place and was going to watch TV and she said, "Oh, we only have Apple TV." I said, "no, Apple TV is a streaming service and your smart TV can download it along with other apps for streaming." She looked at me like I was an idiot until I switched the input on her TV and showed her. She has zero clue how to switch from Apple TV back to her 4k smart TV and honestly doesn't understand why she never needed the stupid box for Apple TV to begin with.

A fool and their money...

by Anonymousreply 82November 17, 2023 9:34 PM

[quote]Mac products are for simpletons who don't understand anything about how computers work. They need shit spoon fed to them so Mac makes their products more "user friendly" which is a term for "idiots."

And yet:

[quote]I should note that i realize this is an older iPhone, but i have used other iPhones in the past (to assist Executives, etc), and I agree with the poster upthread: nothing seems logical about where they put things, and usually requires a bit of digging around.

🤷

by Anonymousreply 83November 17, 2023 9:36 PM

I have both. iOS for work. Android for personal. Way prefer the latter. More flexibility and usability for my purposes.

I like photography and video so I have a specialized Android for that.

by Anonymousreply 84November 17, 2023 9:40 PM

r83 - those two comments were made by two different people.

by Anonymousreply 85November 17, 2023 10:15 PM

Love Android

by Anonymousreply 86November 17, 2023 10:26 PM

Can I have a ride to the mall, r86?

by Anonymousreply 87November 18, 2023 10:04 AM

Why, r87? Do you need the guys at the genius bar to teach you how to use your iphone?

by Anonymousreply 88November 18, 2023 10:21 AM

[quote]those two comments were made by two different people.

Exactly the point. Some people find the iPhone elementary in nature, some find it nigh impenetrable. The truth is somewhere in between.

by Anonymousreply 89November 18, 2023 12:05 PM

I don't think Android is all that great actually. It just works better with Windows (which I use) and isn't a device designed to lock me into a proprietary ecosystem and extract every penny I earn like the iPhone is. I can choose from many manufacturers, choose a phone with the features that meet my needs, and it will interoperate with devices from many companies easily. And I can configure a lot of it to my liking. Like, I cannot stand the standard iPhone keyboard (I have to SHIFT to get a comma?!?) and frankly don't care much for the google keyboard either (even though it's way better than the iPhone one), so I can install a custom keyboard and configure it the way I like. Same with launchers, lock screens, and more.

by Anonymousreply 90November 18, 2023 3:25 PM

I have it R69; but it still forces me to watch videos on the horizontal mode, I consider the app far more annoying than the website.

by Anonymousreply 91November 22, 2023 8:31 AM

Why is that a problem? How the fuck do you watch landscape videos in portrait mode and still hope to see anything? IT'S TOO SMALL! Of course you watch videos in horizontal mode! DUH!

by Anonymousreply 92November 22, 2023 2:41 PM

Regarding those with YouTube issues, do you not have a small square of hatch marks in the lower rt corner when in portrait mode, and a hash tag in landscape?

by Anonymousreply 93November 22, 2023 4:12 PM

R81, R82 - More people than you know are like your sister--technology-challenged and understandably so. The ever-changing products and software can be overwhelming.

Instead of helping your sister in using her devices through the years, you chose to come here and ridicule her. Shame on you. She deserves better.

SMH

by Anonymousreply 94November 22, 2023 5:32 PM

Nah, R94, that sister deserves all the ridicule she gets. What a fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 95November 22, 2023 5:35 PM

My sister would laugh at the post, r94. She admits she hates technology.

Other than tech, she's one of the smartest people I know. I respect her tremendously. But she is a snob about apple products and I tell her so all the time. She loves that I know a lot about tech. I help her all the time with her computer and other issues she has with tech.

And yes, I know there are a ton of folks out there who are technically challenged. And yes, I DO help them when they ask me for help. What I don't understand is the lack of curiosity to learn. Instead, my friends all call me asking how to do things. Then I tell them how and they blame me if they do it and screw it up. It's gotten to the point where I just say, "Google it" because I hate dealing with people who refuse to figure shit out on their own...like I did.

by Anonymousreply 96November 22, 2023 6:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!