Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #540: The MERRILY/ROLL/ALONG, HERE/ARE Edition

New thread

by Anonymousreply 600October 23, 2023 12:57 AM

Please don't encourage the forward/slash troll. I can barely deal with the acronyms on this thread as it is.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2023 2:54 PM

It wasn't intended as encouragement, bur rather, making fun of.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2023 2:56 PM

Rodgers/Hammerstein and Steve/Sondheim would not approve

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2023 4:06 PM

This slash (“/“) thing is really not very funny.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2023 4:31 PM

Not much generally is, r4, on a DL Theatre Gossip thread.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2023 4:35 PM

It's a bloody triumph!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2023 8:14 PM

In fairness I don't know if it was a bloody triumph or not. Looks a little budget Chicago to me.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2023 8:19 PM

How crazy that Ivo von Hove and his disciples and copy catters (I'm looking at you, Jamie Lloyd and Rebecca Frecknall!) are leading the revolution into 21st century successfully commercial theater.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2023 8:22 PM

Hmmmmm....maybe that should have been phrased commercially successful?

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2023 8:23 PM

I've posted twice. Do I need to post a third time to get this thread to appear in my Thread Watcher?

Let's see.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2023 8:27 PM

Trailer for the production of RAGTIME at the Signature Theatre in Arlington, VA. Sounds okay, but I loved the original Broadway production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2023 8:35 PM

So what is everyone’s early Tony predictions?

Is it just Cabaret vs Merrily?

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2023 8:36 PM

[quote]Do I need to post a third time to get this thread to appear in my Thread Watcher?

In case you're unaware of this, you can also get a thread to appear in your thread watcher by clicking on the eye icon to the far right of the thread title. If you do that, I believe it will appear in your thread watcher even if you haven't posted in the thread at all.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2023 8:57 PM

That has always worked for me, r13.

Broadway news? Honest, got nothing. I'm hoping to see The Shark is Broken before it closes.

I also need to see if Tom Hewitt is still in Hadestown. I seldom revisit shows that I'm not being paid to, but I'll make an exception for him.

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2023 9:01 PM

I'm seeing Merrily in January... family have never seen the show, invited me to join. I saw the Encores! production, still not a big fan of the book for the show, but the score is really wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2023 9:33 PM

Merrily is more a cult than a show.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2023 9:42 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2023 9:43 PM

I don’t understand Bloody Bloody Norma Desmond. After she shoots Joe does she roll around on his dead body?

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2023 10:14 PM

[quote]I don’t understand Bloody Bloody Norma Desmond. After she shoots Joe does she roll around on his dead body?

That would be difficult, as his dead body is in the pool and remains there until the police arrive and he gets fished out. I'm sure this idiocy is just there for shock value. The show was always fourth-rate shlock, but now they truly seem to have made it worse with this production. If possible.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2023 10:23 PM

R18, and what's he doing in his lycra boxer briefs if he's leaving?

This thing is either the hit of the season or the latest addition to the Curse of Sunset Boulevard.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2023 10:24 PM

She shoots Joe, they embrace, she pushes him in the pool?

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2023 10:25 PM

Brightman will apparently be delivering a triple threat after a kind: Brightman playing Christie Daae as Norma Desmond.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2023 10:32 PM

R21 Why doesn't the blood wash off? Is the pool imaginary?

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2023 10:38 PM

Haven't seen this revival but I assumed it's Joe's blood splashing on her body and perhaps he doesn't fall into the pool. Is there even a pool in the production?

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2023 10:57 PM

Guardian.

Maul below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2023 11:06 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2023 11:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2023 11:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2023 11:17 PM

The Times less convinced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2023 11:24 PM

The Torygraph loved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2023 11:56 PM

Who's playing Sally in the upcoming Cabaret?

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2023 12:01 AM

[quote]So what is everyone’s early Tony predictions? Is it just Cabaret vs Merrily?

Not so fast ....

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2023 12:45 AM

[quote]Why doesn't the blood wash off?

I don't know....and they even used Bon Ami!

by Anonymousreply 33October 13, 2023 1:14 AM

[quote]Who's playing Sally in the upcoming Cabaret?

Phyllis

by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2023 1:21 AM

I see that the entire cast of Six is getting replaced in December, after they've all completed a year with the show. I suppose that's one way to avoid stagnation and/or incompatability.

by Anonymousreply 35October 13, 2023 1:57 AM

R35 That seems to be how it goes in London. ,maybe, as it is English producers, they are doing the same thing here now.

by Anonymousreply 36October 13, 2023 2:04 AM

They asked me how I knew

My Sunset was through.

All I can express,

When the show's a mess

Blood gets on your dress.

by Anonymousreply 37October 13, 2023 3:12 AM

Thanks for posting all those London reviews

by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2023 3:32 AM

[quote]“Shucked,” a musical comedy fueled by corn puns and country music, will end its run at Broadway’s Nederlander Theater on Jan. 14.

[quote]The show’s lead producers, Mike Bosner and Jason Owen, are not calling the step a closing, apparently because they are hoping that they will find another theater at which the show might continue its run. But the current Broadway season is shaping up to be fairly robust, and it is unclear if there will be an empty theater available for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 13, 2023 3:42 AM

‘Gutenberg! The Musical!’ got "meh" reviews. So what happens now?

by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2023 12:32 PM

I'm in London during the run so have to see it, but it feels more like a staged concert to me, an experimental experience staging. Still it will be interesting to see.

The thing I don't like about Scherzinger's casting is the same thing I didn't like about Ricky Martin in Evita (Evita itself notwithstanding.) When you get those pop affiliated performers their own fan base shows with no interest in anything except the performer. At Evita every time Martin came on stage they squealed like he was Elvis or Tom Jones and they were gonna throw their panties at him.

by Anonymousreply 41October 13, 2023 12:45 PM

Purlie Victorious is... extending?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 13, 2023 1:24 PM

I don’t get it, r42. I’m going to New York in November and would gladly buy two tickets if they were good seats and maybe $150 each. For a Sat matinee, the entire mezzanine is open. They want $205.50 for the first three rows, except on the sides. For orchestra, it’s mostly unsold and the lowest price (back, extreme sides) is $155.50. They are selling premium at $300 each.

by Anonymousreply 43October 13, 2023 1:33 PM

r41 I don't think Nicole ever had a "fan base" that was even 1/100th the size of Ricky's.

by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2023 1:56 PM

Shucked, SLIH, Hadestown, Kimberly, A Beautiful Noise, Purlie, all gone by January 7th. And Gutenberg.

by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2023 2:29 PM

Just reading that NY Times review of Gutenberg exhausted me.

And please add The Cottage and The Shark Is Broken to your list though I guess they'll be gone much sooner.

by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2023 2:58 PM

Why aren't producers mounting shows people actually want to see?

The solution seems pretty simple to me.

I refuse to believe they're that stupid, just stubborn.

But why?

It's not doing them any good.

Just bleeding them dry.

🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 47October 13, 2023 3:02 PM

What do people want to see, R47? And don't say," Follies."

by Anonymousreply 48October 13, 2023 4:36 PM

r47 r48 -- see R32 and be patient!

by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2023 4:54 PM

Has anyone seen the Pre-Broadway tour of the Wiz?

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2023 6:23 PM

I haven't.

by Anonymousreply 51October 13, 2023 6:30 PM

R50, I'm going on Sunday and will report.

by Anonymousreply 52October 13, 2023 6:46 PM

How to produce an Off-Broadway show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 13, 2023 6:46 PM

In her finale mad scene, Norma believes she is finally getting to play Salome, who kisses the severed head of John the Baptist. That could get bloody for both parties.

by Anonymousreply 54October 13, 2023 6:58 PM

Maybe this current revision should be retitled, "Sunset, Bloody Sunset."

by Anonymousreply 55October 13, 2023 7:49 PM

[Quote] Francis pitches the cool cynicism of the hapless Gillis just right and displays enormous courage in a sequence that sees him walk out of the theatre and onto the street followed by a camera while singing the title song.

Oh that trick again

by Anonymousreply 56October 13, 2023 8:33 PM

[Quote] Over the past few years Lloyd has been honing a directorial style that presents drama in black and white, stripped back and intense, revealing the bones beneath the skin

Directors and producers like the approach. The public, not so much

by Anonymousreply 57October 13, 2023 8:35 PM

[Quote] The boldness of the concept is there from the start when on Soutra Gilmour’s artfully designed empty stage

Ditto

by Anonymousreply 58October 13, 2023 8:36 PM

Since there's no staircase or mansion set, presumably there's no pool, either. They've throw out the playbook, so I'm guessing they stage it so she gets close to him and shoots him without the gun being seen until she steps back, both covered in blood. Maybe they stage it quite tenderly, so she seems harmlessly lost in madness and he's less angry than regretful... feeling guilty about aiding and abetting her delusion, so his last line "goodbye, Norma" is gentle and sorrowful, allowing for an embrace and then bang, she plugs the muthafucka. What I can't account for his why he's shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 59October 13, 2023 8:40 PM

He is shirtless to compensate for the lack of set and splendour

by Anonymousreply 60October 13, 2023 8:41 PM

R56 what's so courageous about being filmed singing and walking out of the theater onto the street?

by Anonymousreply 61October 13, 2023 8:44 PM

"Kiss someone's wife, kiss someone's ass"

"u wot m8?"

by Anonymousreply 62October 13, 2023 8:47 PM

This one's a bit more spoilery in the write up.... spoilery in the sense that we all know the story... the mystery is the staging.

But there's some pictures. It must be good because the staging is just nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 13, 2023 9:00 PM

Francis pitches the cool cynicism of the hapless Gillis just right and displays enormous courage in a sequence that sees him walk out of the theatre and onto the street followed by a camera while singing the title song. There, Gillis bumps into Eliza Doolittle, and they head to the street where she lives.

by Anonymousreply 64October 13, 2023 9:08 PM

Francis pitches the cool cynicism of the hapless Gillis just right and displays enormous courage in a sequence that sees him walk out of the theatre and onto the street followed by a camera while singing the title song. In the reasonably likely event he is the victim of knife crime, or trips over Glenn Close begging, emergency lyrics will allow Norma and Betty to declare their love in a somewhat shortened second act.

by Anonymousreply 65October 13, 2023 9:11 PM

Remember when crashing chandeliers and helicopters on stage were all the rage? Now it's actors being filmed while wandering the dirty streets during a performance.

by Anonymousreply 66October 13, 2023 9:45 PM

Until one of them gets mugged.

by Anonymousreply 67October 13, 2023 9:46 PM

Funny / Forum, the one that works.

by Anonymousreply 68October 13, 2023 9:54 PM

For early Tony predictions, I haven’t seen the show but just based on the reviews, it’s hard not to believe that Jonathan Groff isn’t on track to win his first Tony.

by Anonymousreply 69October 13, 2023 11:21 PM

Has anyone heard anything about a Merrily Bootleg?

by Anonymousreply 70October 13, 2023 11:31 PM

R70 Found the Kennedy Center.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 13, 2023 11:34 PM

Cabaret v Merrily? Cabaret would have to go some to match the unanimity of positive reviews that Merrily received.

by Anonymousreply 72October 13, 2023 11:42 PM

New thread! took me awhile to find it.

by Anonymousreply 73October 13, 2023 11:42 PM

Me too, r73. It didn't come up in repeated searches.

by Anonymousreply 74October 13, 2023 11:47 PM

Also, no matter Eddie Redmayne's star casting and his Olivier award, in this new revival, the Emcee really remains a supporting player. And is so heavily made up and overly costumed, the actor almost becomes negligible.

Though I surprised my self by enjoying this London Cabaret last year far more than I though I would, I have a feeling the show will struggle to find audiences who don't want to pay exorbitant prices for a show they already know so well.

by Anonymousreply 75October 13, 2023 11:51 PM

[quote]Funny / Forum, the one that works.

We started it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 14, 2023 1:16 AM

[Quote] the Emcee really remains a supporting player. And is so heavily made up and overly costumed, the actor almost becomes negligible.

Except it made stars of Joel Grey and Alan Cumming.

by Anonymousreply 77October 14, 2023 1:33 AM

Yes, r77, but I'm saying that in this revival, and despite Eddie Redmayne's stardom, the Emcee is somewhat sidelined and doesn't appear to be the manipulator of events he is in previous incarnations of Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 78October 14, 2023 2:25 AM

"Gutenberg" savaged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 14, 2023 3:13 AM

[quote]I'm saying that in this revival, and despite Eddie Redmayne's stardom, the Emcee is somewhat sidelined and doesn't appear to be the manipulator of events he is in previous incarnations of Cabaret.

In what way is he "somewhat sidelined?" Has any of his material been cut? Is there somehow less focus on him in this production? Or do you just not know what you're talking about? Because it's hard to believe that Eddie Redmayne would allow himself to be "sidelined" to any extent.

by Anonymousreply 80October 14, 2023 4:11 AM

Rabid audience members who truly believe they are seeing a maligned, misunderstood masterpiece with "Merrily" are like people who truly believe the 2020 election was rigged. There is simply nothing you can do or say to convince them otherwise!

I'm seeing it early in January, (don't ask) and after seeing the original Broadway cast in November '81 as well as the busy, earnest Encores staging, I have the feeling "Merrily" will just be getting even more of my money to witness how it still doesn't work at all, but with a very receptive audience screaming for more!

No "Hills of Tomorrow" and a brutally butchered "Rich & Happy"? Those parts weren't the problem!

by Anonymousreply 81October 14, 2023 4:50 AM

Is this the Menier production of Merrily from 2012? I saw that one and loved it.

by Anonymousreply 82October 14, 2023 11:43 AM

I think it's possible to find it a deeply flawed musical and still be rhapsodic about this cast. I certainly did. (There's so much that's enjoyable about the score.) And Fanny, if you're so certain about what's going to happen to you in early January, perhaps you should give away or sell your ticket to someone who'd appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 83October 14, 2023 11:51 AM

None of that matters, R81, because the audience doesn't care if the show is good. For Sondheimites, it's like a deprived addict finally getting a fix, and for others , it's a chance to see Harry Potter.

by Anonymousreply 84October 14, 2023 12:10 PM

Yes, anyone who dares to enjoy this production is an addict. R84, put aside some money for therapy. You clearly have a weird chip on your shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 85October 14, 2023 12:15 PM

Good to hear from a Sondheimite. Since the " Follies" filibuster dried up, you guys have been relatively silent.

by Anonymousreply 86October 14, 2023 12:44 PM

Good review for Merrily in the Times this week. Groff gets major kudos. We're seeing it in November.

by Anonymousreply 87October 14, 2023 12:49 PM

I agree with much of your post, R81, but of course it's not true that MERRILY "still doesn't work at all." The truth is that much of it works beautifully (still) and much of it is a mess (still, although some of the messy, badly written and conceived parts in the original version have been swapped out for new, equally messy and badly written and conceived parts over the years).

by Anonymousreply 88October 14, 2023 12:59 PM

R86, I’m sorry you are so wounded. There is no Ben for you, not ever, any place.

by Anonymousreply 89October 14, 2023 1:18 PM

Cabaret is going to BOMB!

by Anonymousreply 90October 14, 2023 1:18 PM

An article in the Washington Post about the struggles of Here Lies Love. Some quotes—

[quote]“What I didn’t anticipate was really the struggle for it to find its audience,” said Diana DiMenna, one of the lead producers. “I’m flabbergasted that there are not lines of people around the block.” She is part of a core team of five lead producers who are attempting to innovate their way out of the doldrums afflicting “Here Lies Love.”

[quote]Educating potential patrons on the unique facets of “Here Lies Love” has proved tough, the producers said. The orchestra section of the theater had to be removed and the space renovated for the $22 million production. The party floor for audience members who opt to stand, and where most of the action occurs on moving platforms, displaced about 600 seats, reducing capacity to 1,100. Included in this smaller audience footprint are seats in a variety of configurations: banks of seats ringing the performance floor, dozens of rows of seats in the mezzanine, even a VIP section under the mezzanine.

[quote]“We are tasked not only with outputting artistic work, we are also tasked with creating the audience,” said Clint Ramos, the costume designer and another lead producer. He said that with a cast entirely made up of Filipino Americans, “Here Lies Love” had a goal of reaching a new cadre of fans. Indeed, as noted by Jose Antonio Vargas, another of the core producing group (and a former Washington Post reporter), on some nights those of Asian and Pacific Island descent make up as much as 25 percent of the crowd, when the norm on Broadway is in the single digits. ...

[quote]“You have an untraditional story told in an untraditional way,” lead producer Patrick Catullo said. “Then there is the layer of, ‘Okay, do you sit or do you stand? What is this experience?’ There are just so many more layers of introspection that you need to do for the consumer on a show like this.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 14, 2023 1:37 PM

r80, they may have cut If You Could See Her.... but I don't remember for sure. As for your general question, all I can say is that, unlike other productions of CABARET, here the Emcee seems far more like a supporting player and isn't as immersed in and quite so insidious to the action of the show. And as I said in my initial post, the makeup and costume here far more disguise the actor wearing it all.

And I didn't mind that. As I also said initially, the production surprised me (and I saw the original Prince production 3 times) and I found it very fresh and engaging. More so than the Mendes/Cumming revival. But I do think it will be a tough sell to audiences who are simply weary of CABARET in any form.

by Anonymousreply 92October 14, 2023 1:40 PM

r91 So basically the producers were shocked and outraged to find that they'd actually have to do some work, rather than just having success handed to them

by Anonymousreply 93October 14, 2023 1:45 PM

If HERE LIES LOVE's producers have to explain to audiences why they should love the show and if they should sit or stand, they're in serious trouble.

by Anonymousreply 94October 14, 2023 1:46 PM

Do Radcliffe fangurls yell "Harry!" when he's on stage?

by Anonymousreply 95October 14, 2023 1:50 PM

I don’t think Cabaret will bomb but I think people are underestimating the mood of the country when it opens in the r spring of 2024.

Trump is predicted to be the nominee and could possibly win just a few months after the show opens.

The scene of the man wearing a swastika arm-band singing “Tomorrow Belongs to Me” hits different.

by Anonymousreply 96October 14, 2023 1:57 PM

No, R92, they did not cut "If You Could See Her." And, for that matter, in this production the Emcee sings the bulk of "Tomorrow Belongs to Me," which as far as I know has never happened to me. So you're entitled to your opinion that the Emcee "isn't as immersed in and quite so insidious to the action of the show" here as in previous productions, but judging from the cast album, if anything it sounds like the opposite to me.

by Anonymousreply 97October 14, 2023 1:59 PM

I question r92's understanding of the meaning of "insidious".

by Anonymousreply 98October 14, 2023 3:22 PM

r81you probably shouldn’t go. Give the tickets to someone who can’t afford them rather than going in so angry. Maybe you should just stay home often

by Anonymousreply 99October 14, 2023 3:46 PM

The Here Lies Love producers sound so stupid and clueless. This isn’t a game for amateurs

by Anonymousreply 100October 14, 2023 3:49 PM

[quote]Now it's actors being filmed while wandering the dirty streets during a performance.

Yeah but is it really live and not pre-taped and he's standing there right off stage to make his entrance? Are they going to have him singing in torrential rain?

by Anonymousreply 101October 14, 2023 3:58 PM

How many people could even see her from the audience?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 14, 2023 4:00 PM

[quote]Maybe you should just stay home often

The people Fanny calls friends often say the same thing

by Anonymousreply 103October 14, 2023 4:06 PM

R102 that was anticlimactic.

I guess I was expecting something more?

It almost seems like she suddenly became self-conscious and rushed back inside.

by Anonymousreply 104October 14, 2023 4:22 PM

r92, who said, "If you're weary of Cabaret, you're weary of life"?

by Anonymousreply 105October 14, 2023 4:41 PM

When I saw MERRILY two weeks ago, the leads enter individually, and I expected applause for each of them, considering the house was full of fans. Especially for Radcliffe. There was none, surprisingly, suggesting that the quietude of the opening was being respected.

by Anonymousreply 106October 14, 2023 4:45 PM

God bless Danny Devito but how is he going to make it through 8 shows a week. And the guy interrupting the curtain call for a selfie should be banned from every Broadway theatre. WTF

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 14, 2023 5:13 PM

Wow, R107. Good for him I guess but I would never have the nerve to do something like that.

by Anonymousreply 108October 14, 2023 5:18 PM

"Good for him"?

Fuck that guy. That was obnoxious. I was kinda hoping DeVito would whack him upside the head.

by Anonymousreply 109October 14, 2023 5:41 PM

This is a terrible title and a lousy thread already. More Merrily? Are you that bereft of ideas, OP?

by Anonymousreply 110October 14, 2023 5:46 PM

R109, I just meant good for him I guess that he was able to get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 111October 14, 2023 5:48 PM

R109. Imagine pulling that stunt with Patti

by Anonymousreply 112October 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Incidentally, I've always thought that MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG was such a stupid title.

It sounds like one of those stupid children's morning TV shows a la THE BIG COMFY COUCH or A LIKELY STORY.

by Anonymousreply 113October 14, 2023 5:51 PM

Insidious: proceeding in a gradual, subtle way, but with harmful effects.

Exactly what I meant about Cabaret's Emcee. And what Eddie Redmayne doesn't quite achieve in this revival.

by Anonymousreply 114October 14, 2023 5:55 PM

The title for MERRILY is based on a famous old children's nursery rhyme, you twat at r113.

by Anonymousreply 115October 14, 2023 6:04 PM

Without the Graduation bookends, the show loses significant thematic material, both musically and dramatically

by Anonymousreply 116October 14, 2023 10:08 PM

[quote]The orchestra section of the theater had to be removed and the space renovated for the $22 million production.

Tell us about it!

by Anonymousreply 117October 14, 2023 11:03 PM

[quote]This is a terrible title and a lousy thread already. More Merrily? Are you that bereft of ideas, OP?

The other thread had reached 600 and no one had started a new one, so I thought of something quick. I don't think it's brilliant or even especially witty, but I think it's fine and certainly far better than many previous thread titles. So thanks for your input, but....piss off. And P.S., are YOU that "bereft of ideas" that you have nothing to offer other than to critique the title and the posts in this thread thus far?

by Anonymousreply 118October 14, 2023 11:38 PM

[quote]Fuck that guy. That was obnoxious. I was kinda hoping DeVito would whack him upside the head.

He didn't have to whack him upside the side, but the fact that DeVito encouraged such asshole behavior was a really stupid movie. And P.S., is this the worst-staged curtain call you've ever seen? The actors were sort of blocking each other as they emerged, and it seemed like at least one of them almost tripped over those garbage bags.

by Anonymousreply 119October 14, 2023 11:41 PM

It's a kind of a trend, r 119. It was the first preview, I think, and DeVito was caught off guard. He's a nice guy.

Wendell Pierce encouraged this kind of behavior by engaging an entitled audience member at the top of Act Two of Death of a Salesman. She had been disruptive during act one. Why she wasn't thrown out at intermission I will never understand.

When she started up again in act two, the stage manager stopped the show and told all the actors to leave the stage. Pierce almost did, but then decided to make it about him, and started talking to her directly, even offering to give her her money back? WTF? Why?

He gave her 15 minutes of fame, and bragging rights for the rest of her life. He prolonged the disturbance and destroyed the rest of the show for the rest of the audience. There was no way to return from that.

DeVito gets a pass from me. First preview, older guy onstage for the first time in a long time? It was a momentary error at the end of the show.

Pierce has always been a self-important asshole, and he knew better.

by Anonymousreply 120October 15, 2023 12:07 AM

[quote]Wendell Pierce encouraged this kind of behavior by engaging an entitled audience member at the top of Act Two of Death of a Salesman.

But he didn't encourage it in the form of agreeing to take a photo with an asshole audience member. He made a very poor decision as to how to handle another disruptive idiot, but that's not quite the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 121October 15, 2023 12:18 AM

R118. OP, you don't have to explain yourself to anyone. Thank you for starting a thread when most of us INCLUDING MYSELF were afraid to because someone was bound to criticize my title. You're a brave soul and your headline is just fine.

by Anonymousreply 122October 15, 2023 12:22 AM

r120 will use any excuse to trot out that old Wendell Pierce story, always capping it with something about Pierce being self-important. Sounds like a personal grudge

by Anonymousreply 123October 15, 2023 12:32 AM

Thanks, R122 :-) Much appreciated. Just a word of advice: No need to be afraid of sad individuals like R110 who have nothing to offer to a forum like this other than unwarranted criticism of others' posts or thread titles.

by Anonymousreply 124October 15, 2023 12:38 AM

What a peculiar and inaccurate accusation, r123.

[quote]But he didn't encourage it in the form of agreeing to take a photo with an asshole audience member.

No, Pierce didn't take a photo - he only offered to give her money back personally, and even tried getting others to do it to placate her, because why? He rewarded bad behavior by giving her attention, and ruined the rest of the show for everyone else.

Unbelievably, Pierce was lauded for it, which is completely unbelievable to me. DeVito simply had a brief lapse in judgement after the show was OVER. It's not quite the same thing, for sure. What Pierce did was far worse.

I am not going to turn this thread into two (or is it three?) queens bickering, so I'm done with this topic (huzzah!). If you can't see the huge disparity here, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one, r119/r121/r123. Give poor old Danny a break, huh?

On that note, I'm with r122. OP did just fine.

by Anonymousreply 125October 15, 2023 12:39 AM

Merrily is shallow. And lectury.

by Anonymousreply 126October 15, 2023 12:40 AM

[quote] Imagine pulling that stunt with Patti

You’d pull back a bloody stump

by Anonymousreply 127October 15, 2023 12:44 AM

Fair enough, R125. I see your point. Both De Vito and Pierce made bad decisions on how to deal with idiot audience members. And by the way, I am the OP, so thanks for your support there :-)

by Anonymousreply 128October 15, 2023 1:37 AM

Please! It was a first preview and Danny de Vito was simply being cordial. Give him a fuckin' break. And curtain calls are rarely staged in time for the first preview. They've probably barely teched through the entire show once by then.

by Anonymousreply 129October 15, 2023 1:56 AM

OP, I'm not your thread title criticizer, but it's sort of a custom on these threads to shit on the titles, sometimes seriously, sometimes jokingly. No one pays attention to it. I've done my share of the shitting (and I've done my share of the good AND the bad titles). Yours wasn't actually bad, but even so, it's more about tradition than anything.

by Anonymousreply 130October 15, 2023 3:16 AM

[quote]And Fanny, if you're so certain about what's going to happen to you in early January, perhaps you should give away or sell your ticket to someone who'd appreciate it.

As bizarre as it sounds, I wouldn't miss it for the world!

by Anonymousreply 131October 15, 2023 3:30 AM

[quote]Please! It was a first preview and Danny de Vito was simply being cordial. Give him a fuckin' break. And curtain calls are rarely staged in time for the first preview. They've probably barely teched through the entire show once by then.

Sorry, but if the director of a Broadway show doesn't have time to rehearse a three-person curtain call before the first preview, that's very unprofessional. On the other hand, I realize we're talking about the Roundabout....

by Anonymousreply 132October 15, 2023 3:37 AM

That's what I'm saying, r88.

Because of the silly going backwards demand, we have Beth, a character we just met and have zero investment in singing the best song of the show, "Not a Day Goes By", but we can't really feel it much because her character has not been onstage very long. We can only guess who she is.

The leads are pretty unlikeable which is a surefire way to shoot your show in the foot, too. All of the '81 issues were there at the Encores "revisal", although somewhat louder, faster and ore sure of themselves! Millennials just love the OBC and fallen in the with a show in their minds which isn't really the show you get.

by Anonymousreply 133October 15, 2023 3:37 AM

[quote]Give the tickets to someone who can’t afford them rather than going in so angry.

They are a gift and why do you think I'm angry? I'm not. You're projecting, hon.

by Anonymousreply 134October 15, 2023 3:40 AM

They (Furth?) revised the script of Merrily so that you now care a bit more about Beth before she sings Not a Day Goes By. What really didn’t make sense was having Frank sing it in the original Broadway production, but that was because the actress playing Beth couldn’t handle it. I saw her do it an early preview, and she really mangled it.

by Anonymousreply 135October 15, 2023 10:09 AM

I went to the Shed! I hated the escalators but I hated having to listen to David Hyde Pierce more.

by Anonymousreply 136October 15, 2023 10:32 AM

[Quote] As bizarre as it sounds, I wouldn't miss it for the world!

Gotta hand it to a cunt who owns it.

by Anonymousreply 137October 15, 2023 11:47 AM

[quote]Merrily is shallow. And lectury.

It's lecturey? You must not be familiar with Sondheim. All his shows are.

by Anonymousreply 138October 15, 2023 12:23 PM

[quote] I went to the Shed! I hated the escalators

How did The Shed ever get fire-safety approval for all those escalators (and one entrance/exit)???

The FDNY harasses every black box space where you are 2 feet from an exit, yet let The Shed get a huge pass? Money DOES indeed talk.

by Anonymousreply 139October 15, 2023 1:13 PM

[quote]It's lecturey? You must not be familiar with Sondheim. All his shows are.

Stupid comment, insupportable. I think we've seen similar posts from this troll before.

by Anonymousreply 140October 15, 2023 1:21 PM

His lyrics are lecturey but that’s not necessarily a bad thing if they’re wise and/or moving. Careful the things you say, children will listen. Anything you do, let it come from you, and it will be new.

by Anonymousreply 141October 15, 2023 2:02 PM

I saw the pre-Broadway tour of The Wiz yesterday in Cleveland.

Thoughts:

The girl playing Dorothy is a STAR and has an incredible voice.

The lady playing Eviliene lands the laughs and I could see her getting a supporting nomination.

The “new” orchestrations are derivative to the original. I wish they would have left well enough alone. For example, “Don’t Nobody Bring Me No Bad News” sounds odd in the beginning because it’s slowed down. She ends the song as a showstopper, but it doesn’t pick up until the end.

The score overall is sung well.

I’m surprised they got Wayne Brady to play the Wiz. This production cut his “Believe In Yourself” before Glinda sings the resprise, so now there is less to to do for him. I missed this too because it’s one of my favorite songs.

I think the production is in good shape and I enjoyed it…but I just wish there wasn’t a constant need to have new orchestrations when it was a big reason why the original was a huge hit!

by Anonymousreply 142October 15, 2023 2:03 PM

How were the sets and costumes for The Wiz, r142?

by Anonymousreply 143October 15, 2023 2:09 PM

[quote] The girl playing Dorothy is a STAR and has an incredible voice. The lady playing Eviliene lands the laughs and I could see her getting a supporting nomination.

Apparently you didn't think enough of them to remember their names.

by Anonymousreply 144October 15, 2023 2:29 PM

[quote]I’m surprised they got Wayne Brady to play the Wiz.

"Pay no attention to the pansexual behind the curtain!"

by Anonymousreply 145October 15, 2023 2:30 PM

R142 I actually didn’t mind the costumes….the set left a little to be desired, except I will say Evilene’s sweatshop design was fun.

I will say somebody on Broadwayworld mentioned the choreography was lackluster and I agree with that. The dance for the Ozians was pretty dire.

Also something different. Because Deborah Cox is a “name” as Glinda, they gave her Apperdale’s “He’s the Wiz” in act one so Apperdale no longer has a song

by Anonymousreply 146October 15, 2023 2:30 PM

I believe you mean "Addaperle," a hilarious invented name. Apperdale sounds like a Connecticut lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 147October 15, 2023 2:41 PM

Does the chorus still create the Yellow Brick Road? That was a highlight of the original.

by Anonymousreply 148October 15, 2023 2:42 PM

I am so sick of snarky musicals about making musicals , which are just as bad as shows that describe themselves as " A Valentine to the Broadway musical"

by Anonymousreply 149October 15, 2023 2:58 PM

R148 no on the Yellow Brick Road. That was kinda a bummer as well. Also the 3 guys (scarecrow, lion, and Tin Man) definitely embrace “friend of Dorothy theme” lol. Also the guy playing the Wiz. It will be interesting to see if Wayne Brady leans into the effeminacy or not. This is NOT a negative. I actually liked that the guys were clearly gay. It added to the bond between Dorothy and the guys. The girl playing Dorothy leaned into this as well and played the relationship like a girl with her gay besties.

by Anonymousreply 150October 15, 2023 2:59 PM

R139 speaking of fire safety approval, has anyone been to the new Performing Arts Center at the WTC? A couple of weeks ago, I attended a recital there, and there were at least a half dozen fire wardens (with very visible, vaguely nazi-like red arm-badges) standing around to help direct the crowd should there be an emergency. They were very present after the performance, as the place is a LABYRINTH. I felt like I was on the set of the Tron remake. Finding the bathroom during intermission is an (unwelcome) adventure.

I don't see how they'll be able to ditch the need for fire wardens - the building is finished and there's nothing that can be done short of punching a hole through the pearlescent curtain wall and building a staircase directly to the ground.

I also have a ton of complaints about the seating and acoustics. It looks like each row is designed to flip around like a kebab, hiding the seating as-needed to reconfigure the space as a dance floor. But the center of gravity of each row is too far back, causing the entire row to wildly oscillate if someone fidgets in their chair on the opposite end. The seats are also incredibly uncomfortable, putting pressure mid-thigh because of the short length of the seats. The acoustics are flat - the room just swallows sound and there's no reverb or character. Wholly inappropriate for a piano recital.

by Anonymousreply 151October 15, 2023 3:23 PM

R140 - undone by R141.

by Anonymousreply 152October 15, 2023 3:32 PM

Mr. Apperdale is certain to let you have Patrick once he finds out you've gone into something steady like acting.

by Anonymousreply 153October 15, 2023 4:19 PM

So Jordan Fisher misses the majority of his performances in DEH, patchy attendance during his brief period at Sweeney and yet still gets to join Hadestown? Why are producers encouraging shitty behaviour? Is he really that much of a draw? Especially once refunds are accounted for.

by Anonymousreply 154October 15, 2023 4:25 PM

[quote][R140] - undone by [R141].

I don't think my comment was "undone" by anyone. Of course, SOME of Sondheim's lyrics are "lecturey," but I would say a very small percentage of them fit that category, so it's ignorant to describe his work as "lecturey" overall. For what it's worth, I've always considered "Children Will Listen" and "No One is Alone" (also lecturey) to be two of his lesser songs, largely for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 155October 15, 2023 4:32 PM

I would say that the Redmayne MC IS insidious - that's actually a pretty good descriptor. He's not showy, like the previous MCs but the ending reveals why and it makes a lot of sense and is kinda terrifying. I agree that I don't think this will do well. It's dark dark dark. At least the Roundabout revival had Alan Cumming to entertain and while that didn't make it less dark, it balanced it out. This new revival is more intellectual and does not aim to delight at all. I did love that, to me, Herr Shultz and Fraulein Schneider seemed to be the leads and not Sally Bowles. I can say I was glad to see it, but did not really enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 156October 15, 2023 6:06 PM

[quote]I can say I was glad to see it, but did not really enjoy it.

I felt the same way about The Wild Party, r156. I appreciated it but I didn't want to be at *that* party with *those* people.

by Anonymousreply 157October 15, 2023 6:19 PM

[quote]I would say that the Redmayne MC IS insidious - that's actually a pretty good descriptor. He's not showy, like the previous MCs....."

Are you joking? He overacts to a ridiculous, incredibly vulgar degree on the cast album. How is that not "showy?"

[quote]This new revival is more intellectual and does not aim to delight at all.

Again -- really???? Judging from the cast album, if anything this revival is anti-intellectual, with everything spelled out and sledge-hammered home in the most vulgar, off-putting way imaginable. Also,, everyone seems to be playing the ending from the beginning, which is always a very bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 158October 15, 2023 6:32 PM

The Roundabout production of Cabaret was perfection with and without Cumming.

by Anonymousreply 159October 15, 2023 6:43 PM

R159 - I agree.

R158 - I haven't heard the cast album. I saw the show - he was extremely deadpan and nihilistic throughout, same with Fra Fee who followed him in the role. Maybe it comes off differently on the album. I can only report on what I saw. I agree that a sense of destruction hangs over the show from the beginning which is perhaps why I didn't enjoy it. The Cumming version lured you in with laughs and his charisma but there is none of that here.

by Anonymousreply 160October 15, 2023 7:06 PM

I thought Matt McGrath did a terrific job when he played the Emcee in the Mendes' production on Broadway. I also thought he did a fantastic job when he took over in Hedwig when it was off-Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 161October 15, 2023 7:57 PM

RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162October 15, 2023 8:38 PM

You’re a dick r162

by Anonymousreply 163October 15, 2023 8:46 PM

[quote] I haven't heard the cast album. I saw the show - he was extremely deadpan and nihilistic throughout,

I can't agree or disagree that Redmayne comes across as "nihilistic" on the cast album, because that word would never occur to me. But there's absolutely nothing remotely "deadpan" about his over-the-top vulgar and sleazy performance on the recording, so I can only imagine that you don't know what the word "deadpan" means. And by the way, this is one of VERY few cast albums recorded during a live performance in the theater with an audience (or rather, edited from recordings of several different performances), so there can be no argument that Redmayne took a very different approach to the character in a studio for the recording medium.

by Anonymousreply 164October 15, 2023 8:52 PM

r164, why don't you stop making comments on a show you haven't seen and disagreeing with posters who actually have?

Believe it or not, sometimes cast albums can be very deceiving. If you just listened to the cast albums, you would think that Merrily We Roll Along, House of Flowers and The Grass Harp were very different shows from what was actually onstage.

by Anonymousreply 165October 15, 2023 8:59 PM

Perhaps Barry Manilow and the cast of Harmony will dedicate their first preview to Suzanne?

by Anonymousreply 166October 15, 2023 9:03 PM

Just got back from seeing " The Wiz." The singing was magnificent, but that's about it. They need to do a lot of work before it's Broadway worthy. The dialogue scenes were slow and not timed well, leaving gaps in the conversation.

Everybody knows the story, but the show does little, if nothing, to tie the scenes and musical numbers together; they just happen in order.

My biggest problem was with the choreography. I thought I was watching an Alvin Ailey recital, rather than a hard-hitting dance show. As a result, the show never soars. There is never a dance number where there is joy or a great explosion of energy. Some of it has to do with the orchestrations, but most is due to the choreography. It will never fly on Broadway. BTW, the Yellow Brick Road guys were dressed as black college drum majors, complete with mace, but did no dancing, just posing and appearing on stage.

The sets were okay with a few nice projections, but mostly one set piece in the center and lighting effects.

I left feeling a bit empty and disappointed... entertained by the singing, but very let down by pretty much everything else. Unless serious work is done, the show will not be a hit. Granted, this is the very first stop for the show, so they have some time.

by Anonymousreply 167October 15, 2023 9:09 PM

The Rebecca Frecknall Cabaret is a much more sophisticated affair than the Sam Mendes production. It's not "vulgar," "off-putting" or "sledge-hammered" - all qualities I would ascribe to the Mendes production. The new production has a look and feel more like the grotesque and surreal art of Weimar-era German artists like Otto Dix, George Grosz, Max Beckmann and other Berlin Dadaists. It is also generally exceptionally well acted, which I hope holds over in the upcoming Broadway production. But those who wish to keep excoriating the production based on the recording and not actually seeing it can keep yelling at clouds if they so choose. Nothing will convince them otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 168October 15, 2023 9:14 PM

R157, I had the same feeling watching King Lear. Interesting family, but not one I would ever want to spend time with.

I was glad it was just a play.

by Anonymousreply 169October 15, 2023 9:17 PM

I guess people just go to theater for different reasons. For me, The Wild Party was thrilling and cathartic. It didn’t occur to me to evaluate it based on whether I wanted to be invited to the party or spend time with the characters. Virginia Woolf is one of my favorite plays, but I don’t have any desire to meet George or Martha.

by Anonymousreply 170October 15, 2023 9:20 PM

[quote]Why don't you stop making comments on a show you haven't seen and disagreeing with posters who actually have? Believe it or not, sometimes cast albums can be very deceiving. If you just listened to the cast albums, you would think that Merrily We Roll Along, House of Flowers and The Grass Harp were very different shows from what was actually onstage.

The M.C. has very little spoken dialogue in CABARET. Most or all of that dialogue occurs during songs, or as introductions of songs. For this reason, I believe the entirety of Eddie Redmayne's performance is captured in audio format on the cast album, and I refuse to believe that all of his tremendously overacted vulgarity on the album could come across as "deadpan" or "not showy" in the theater -- ESPECIALLY not in view of the fact that, as mentioned, the cast album is culled from recordings made live in the theater during performances with an audience.

Also, what you wrote about the cast albums of MERRILY, HOUSE OF FLOWERS, and THE GRASS HARP is very true, but those are completely different situations from what we're discussing here.

by Anonymousreply 171October 15, 2023 9:32 PM

What was cathartic about it for you, r170?

by Anonymousreply 172October 15, 2023 9:35 PM

R171, have you seen much theater? It’s not just dialogue and music. My memories of the Mendes Cabaret, including Cumming, are as much about the visual composition and the actors’ nonverbal performance as the sounds they made. The look on Natasha Richardson’s face at the end of Cabaret is not on the CD, but it was the central moment of that production.

by Anonymousreply 173October 15, 2023 9:37 PM

[quote]Virginia Woolf is one of my favorite plays, but I don’t have any desire to meet George or Martha.

You *are* indeed spending a few hours with them. It has nothing to do with *meeting* them.

by Anonymousreply 174October 15, 2023 9:40 PM

I assume we are discussing the LaChiusa version, r172? Let me think: Eartha Kirt’s fuck you to the young and fragile (I was both then) in When It Ends. Queenie and Black singing People Like Us. The party ending, with people strewn across the stage like in a war zone. Toni Collette stepping into the light with no make up at the end of the show.

One of my favorite moments involved the lesbian character, Miss Madeline True. She was obsessed throughout the show with a drugged out flapper named Sally and sang about their unbelievable romance. At the end of the party, she cried out for Sally not to leave. The character looked at her and said what was maybe her only line: “Who’s Sally?”

by Anonymousreply 175October 15, 2023 9:45 PM

R173, I've seen tremendous amounts of theater in my life. Are you really trying to argue that if a performance sounds egregiously overacted on a cast album, it could somehow could across as "deadpan" and "not showy" in the theater with the addition of the visual element? Because if that's what you're saying, I simply don't agree.

And if what you're arguing that Eddie Redmayne's performance on the CABARET cast album does NOT come across as egregiously overacted and horrendously vulgar, I'm providing this link so people can form their own opinions on that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176October 15, 2023 9:46 PM

Curses! Foiled again!

by Anonymousreply 177October 15, 2023 9:51 PM

r167 Clearly they need to bring in Lavarious Slaughter to punch things up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178October 15, 2023 9:54 PM

I don't know what you mean by cathartic then, r175.

by Anonymousreply 179October 15, 2023 10:08 PM

Lavarious Slaughter?

That's someone's name?

by Anonymousreply 180October 15, 2023 10:26 PM

R171 - yes, exactly. The Redmayne cabaret all came together in exactly such a moment when he doesn't speak but his performance (which up to then had been very confusing) all of a sudden made sense. It was chilling.

by Anonymousreply 181October 15, 2023 11:09 PM

Okay, R181. That sounds like pretentious B.S. to me, but I will honestly wait to see the show on Broadway if it indeed transfers, and I'll report back on my reaction then. But even if what happens at the end of the show causes me to reevaluate his entire performance, I still don't think there's any way his performance on the cast album could ever be described as "deadpan" or "not showy."

by Anonymousreply 182October 16, 2023 12:05 AM

What's the deal with The Vessel? Someone spent $200 million and then let someone else build a theatre right in front of it? Is it true they are going to dismantle it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183October 16, 2023 12:08 AM

R183, what does the theater have to do with it? It doesn't front up right against the Vessel. And also, the theater building is not very tall.

by Anonymousreply 184October 16, 2023 12:11 AM

[quote] I'll report back on my reaction then

However will we survive until then?

by Anonymousreply 185October 16, 2023 12:53 AM

That's up to you, R185. You don't have to :-)

by Anonymousreply 186October 16, 2023 1:00 AM

[quote]what does the theater have to do with it? It doesn't front up right against the Vessel. And also, the theater building is not very tall.

Well according to the theatre's own website, it looks like it's blocking The Vessel and If invested $200 million on it, I'd be pissed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187October 16, 2023 1:24 AM

You are wrong 187. Stop.

by Anonymousreply 188October 16, 2023 1:48 AM

Guess we were all at The Wiz today...Datalounge day in Cleveland!. I gotta say, I loved it. The voices are incredible and the book revisions are spot-on. Like the original, it has great fun giving Black voice and Black culture to "The Wizard of Oz." Not sure about the bitching about the choreo, most of which is in the second act. The Emerald City dance at the top of Act 2 was fantastic (sort of a nod to the movie, I think) , No Bad News stopped the show, and Y'all Got it was fun. There's a real contemporary Black narrative throughout the show, and pretty sure I saw images from Black/African history carved into some of the sets (trees and houses). All the leads kill, and yes, the Dorothy is a star. I didn't get as much gay subtext except for the scarecrow at moments, and he was really charming. Costumes were great and some of the best blending of projections/video/sets I've seen in a long time. You can tell they're still finding their way in some of the scenes, but the show moved pretty quickly. A real crowd-pleaser.

by Anonymousreply 189October 16, 2023 2:02 AM

HERE WE ARE is a fascinating trifle. Hope there's an audio recording, and Sondheim's work seemed fresh and young. Not the slog "Wise Guys" Roadshow" was. It's overall very experimental and very strange, which I loved, but I'm not sure the rest of the audience did. Dream cast delivers, and Hyde Pierce and Rachel Bay Jones have a touching act conversation that rocks everyone's world, but you do think "this should have been a song." The first act having so much music and the second having basically none (one quick opener) breaks your heart and just leads to disappointment. You just want them to sing. Too bad the composer died.

by Anonymousreply 190October 16, 2023 2:15 AM

I think Merrily was the first of Sondheim's shows to have lecturey lyrics, starting with "Yesterday is done." Sung by unnamed characters directly to the audience like a Greek chorus, so it's the author's ideas and intentions, hence, a lecture. When the same comes out of a character's mouth, one can attribute it to the character, not the author, even though the ideas might be the same for both. Is "Epiphany" a lecture? Yes, but it's coming from a murderous, mad barber in the 1840s.

But after Merrily, Sondheim got more and more lecturey. "Growing Up" was added to Merrily in 1985 for the La Jolla production, and it sounds like it belongs in Into the Woods. But I despise it, and I always have; suddenly authorial wisdom.

by Anonymousreply 191October 16, 2023 2:22 AM

Yes, but it’s coming from an anti-hero as he rationalizes letting go of composing and his friends. In fact, that song fulfills nearly the same function as Epiphany. It’s the lead justifying something we know he shouldn’t do. You might not like the song, but to call it a lecture is a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 192October 16, 2023 2:29 AM

Sorry, R189, it needs a lot of work and changes. The show doesn't soar as it should and as it promises.

by Anonymousreply 193October 16, 2023 2:35 AM

Speaking of the original Beth in Merrily, what is the story with Sally Klein, anyway? She resolutely refused to have anything to do with the reunion concert, and she’s neither seen nor mentioned in the documentary. She didn’t show up in the first pandemic Zoom reunion, but then she did do the second one where they all sang “Our Time” and she had one solo line (which sounded like she hasn’t sung for 30 years, which may be the case).

Does anyone know her scoop?

by Anonymousreply 194October 16, 2023 9:15 AM

"Yesterday is done" has been a thread for SS years before. Look at the entirety of "One More Kiss" in FOLLIES: "all dreamers must awake" ""Never look back"; "all things beautiful must die." Or "Beautiful" from SUNDAY. Lecture-y? You can call it that, I guess, but that doesn't make the sentiments any less poignant.

by Anonymousreply 195October 16, 2023 12:51 PM

Lecturey songs aren't necessarily bad.

by Anonymousreply 196October 16, 2023 1:14 PM

Is Liaisons a lecture?

by Anonymousreply 197October 16, 2023 1:18 PM

R194 if you were only known for one role in a flop musical where your singing was so poor that they took your one song away (but gave it back to the character with every actress after) would you want to be involved?

by Anonymousreply 198October 16, 2023 2:24 PM

I recall reading some anecdote about Sally Klein and Merrily on here some years ago. From what I recall, Sally was invited to visit rehearsals in La Jolla and was pissed that "Not a Day Goes By," was given back to Beth. Maybe she convinced herself that giving it to Frank was a character choice.

Skip to 1:19:19 to hear Sally Klein's rendition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199October 16, 2023 2:43 PM

Text from a 2014 Playbill article)

Joanna Merlin Original Tzeitel, Fiddler on the Roof, 1964 I auditioned four times for Jerry Robbins' Broadway production of Mother Courage and Her Children in 1963. I didn’t get the role, but Jerry called me into his office in the fall of that year to talk about my auditioning for Fiddler on the Roof. I told him I was not much of a singer. I had only sung on a Broadway stage once and that was to play the lute and sing a Welsh folk song in Anouilh’s Becket with Laurence Olivier. Needless to say, I was more concerned about interacting with my scene partner than the quality of my singing. I told Jerry I did not have a trained voice and had never sung with an orchestra. He assured me that would not be a problem. He wanted me to audition for the role of Hodel - a legitimate soprano! I went to a singing teacher to prepare for the audition and learned some songs in the soprano range. Shockingly, Jerry brought me back six times even though my vocals were hopeless, I felt quite embarrassed every time I auditioned. I knew I sounded terrible, but Jerry was determined to find a way to cast me. He arranged for me to work with Jerry Bock, the composer, and Sheldon on Hodel’s song, “Far From the Home I Love,” which I sang at my seventh audition. It was clear I couldn’t sing it. I knew it, Jerry and Sheldon knew it. Then Jerry Robbins did something unheard of for a Broadway director of his stature. He said he would come to my next voice lesson to hear everything I was singing. So, on a rainy day in November, we met at the studio of Carmine Gagliardi, my singing teacher, at 71st and Broadway. I sang several songs Carmine and I had worked on. When I finished singing a song from Irma La Douce, which was in an alto range, Jerry looked excited and said, “Sing that song at your next audition!” I was relieved as that range was less painful than my wavery soprano. At my eighth audition, I sang the song and Jerry and Sheldon (Harnick) shot up from their seats in the theatre and one or the other shouted, “She has a chest voice! She can play Tzeitel!”

That moment changed the course of my life. Not only was Fiddler historic, and an honor to be in the original cast, but I got to know Hal Prince, who produced Fiddler. The year after the opening, I had to leave the show because I was four-and-a-half months pregnant. The wardrobe department had reached their limit in letting out my wedding dress. Four years and two children later, Hal called me, out of the blue, and asked me to be his casting director. I cast the replacements for the last two years of the Broadway run of Fiddler. (Odd casting my own part!) Hal was in the middle of casting Company. This was the golden period of Prince-Sondheim musicals, and after completing the casting on Company, I did the original casting on Follies, Sweeney Todd, A Little Night Music, Pacific Overtures, and other shows including Evita. After 14 years with Hal, I began casting films for Merchant Ivory as well as for Bernardo Bertolucci’s "The Last Emperor." None of this would have happened if Jerry Robbins had not come to my singing lesson

by Anonymousreply 200October 16, 2023 2:48 PM

^wonderful

by Anonymousreply 201October 16, 2023 3:12 PM

R199, thanks for posting that. I was surprised that Sally Klein's rendition wasn't all that terrible...just sort of okay. I wonder if the problem was that Furth's original book didn't set up this great song for Beth very well. After all, we've just met her in the musical and she delivers this big dramatic song even though we know next to nothing about her. I do think that has been fixed somewhat in the new production.

by Anonymousreply 202October 16, 2023 3:25 PM

I saw an early preview and yes, Sally Klein came out and sang the song, and I was like, who IS that? I don't remember her singing was bad, though. But I must say in her defense, that nobody has done the Jackie Kennedy stuff even remotely as well...ever.

by Anonymousreply 203October 16, 2023 3:38 PM

Another fascinating thing about "Not a Day Goes By" in the audio recording that R199 linked to is that the song was not yet orchestrated.

by Anonymousreply 204October 16, 2023 3:39 PM

She also misses the beat and just keeps repeating “day after day” in her own personal tempo. They may have taken the song away not because she was bad (and we’re not seeing how she performed it, just the sound), but because the song was beyond her musical skills.

by Anonymousreply 205October 16, 2023 3:44 PM

More interesting things on that MERRILY audio: "Now You Know" is MUCH longer, and at that performance, someone other than Lonny Price obviously sang that phrase with the very long, held note: "Best thing that ever could HAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE happened!"

by Anonymousreply 206October 16, 2023 3:52 PM

I have seen a "Merrily" bootleg, but it must have been from a performance after opening because just watching a bit of the first preview bootleg it far more matches the show I saw on November 3rd, 1981.

I really enjoyed how the title song blends right into "Rich & Happy". I'm pretty sure it doesn't anymore, too bad.

If I live long enough I will see yet another production that recreates the original production line by line and note for note, and it too will be a hit!

by Anonymousreply 207October 16, 2023 4:08 PM

[quote]I saw an early preview and yes, Sally Klein came out and sang the song, and I was like, who IS that? I don't remember her singing was bad, though. But I must say in her defense, that nobody has done the Jackie Kennedy stuff even remotely as well...ever.

Lucky for her she only had to sing 16 times.

by Anonymousreply 208October 16, 2023 4:39 PM

Suffs coming to Broadway with Jenn Colella, Philippa Soo and Nikki M James with Shaina Taub

by Anonymousreply 209October 16, 2023 5:46 PM

Interesting, R209. Kind of surprising that it's happening so long after the Off-Broadway production.

by Anonymousreply 210October 16, 2023 6:03 PM

Was the Off-Broadway Suffs even successful?

by Anonymousreply 211October 16, 2023 6:11 PM

While that Joanna Merlin story is fascinating, I find it utterly baffling why Robbins and Bock and Harnick and all of them watched 8 auditions before they realized she was a Tzeitel and not a Hodel. Jeeeez, she didn't even have the looks for a Hodel. And that Merlin never comments on that in her telling of the story.

by Anonymousreply 212October 16, 2023 6:12 PM

R209 am I in this cast? Gang it’s been a while since I’ve been on Broadway, and it shows!

by Anonymousreply 213October 16, 2023 6:12 PM

[quote]While that Joanna Merlin story is fascinating, I find it utterly baffling why Robbins and Bock and Harnick and all of them watched 8 auditions before they realized she was a Tzeitel and not a Hodel.

Me too. Maybe she just doesn't remember clearly what happened, so she made up an alternative narrative only partly based in truth?

by Anonymousreply 214October 16, 2023 6:16 PM

Yes, especially because Hodel has little to do besides look gorgeous, singing that gorgeous ballad in a true soprano.

Tzeitel = comedienne; Hodel = singer; Chava = dancer.

by Anonymousreply 215October 16, 2023 6:19 PM

Tzeitel Merlin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216October 16, 2023 6:25 PM

What's going on with the new ATG head?

by Anonymousreply 217October 16, 2023 6:57 PM

The Under the Radar festival is back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218October 16, 2023 7:10 PM

Sally Klein is fine in the first half of the song, but then she loses it. She even has to gasp a breath before she’s through with the “day after day” runs. It’s just not a good sound.

by Anonymousreply 219October 16, 2023 7:12 PM

Anyone see Callum Scott Howells as the Emcee in the London Cabaret? He broke my hard little heart in "It's A Sin."

by Anonymousreply 220October 16, 2023 7:17 PM

I'm becoming numb to the repeated stupid choices of producers bringing or moving things to Broadway. It's like they're purposely trying to kill it. Purlie Victorious, Fat Ham, Ain't No Mo, KPOP, Here Lies Love, Gutenberg, Melissa Etheridge, The Cottage, and now Suffs.

by Anonymousreply 221October 16, 2023 7:26 PM

Suffs is gonna cost a fortune and will be gone by Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 222October 16, 2023 7:28 PM

[quote]Tzeitel = comedienne; Hodel = singer; Chava = dancer.

I would say most of Tzeitel's material is dramatic rather than comic. And Chava really doesn't have much more dancing than the other two sisters, as all three of them are in the "Chava" ballet, which is very short in any case.

by Anonymousreply 223October 16, 2023 8:01 PM

I was merely speaking in generalities for theatrical purposes, r223. Please forgive me, but you're so literal.

And I think you'd have a very dull first act if your Tzeitel, and Motel, for that matter, couldn't land the comedy in their scenes, not to mention the humor in Matchmaker, Matchmaker.

by Anonymousreply 224October 16, 2023 8:37 PM

So sad that Joanna Merlin has passed away. Lovely lady.

by Anonymousreply 225October 16, 2023 8:58 PM

Link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226October 16, 2023 9:00 PM

Well, she was 92, after all.

by Anonymousreply 227October 16, 2023 9:07 PM

[quote]I was merely speaking in generalities for theatrical purposes, [R223]. Please forgive me, but you're so literal. And I think you'd have a very dull first act if your Tzeitel, and Motel, for that matter, couldn't land the comedy in their scenes, not to mention the humor in Matchmaker, Matchmaker.

Sorry you think I'm being "literal," but I disagree, and I don't see the point in your "generalities" if they're inaccurate. You are of course correct that Tzeitel needs to have good comic chops for "Matchmaker, Matchmaker," but when you think about it, almost all of her dialogue throughout the show -- even her scenes with Motel -- are far more dramatic than comic. So to write that a "comedian" is necessary to play the role of Tzeitel is an odd way to phrase it.

by Anonymousreply 228October 16, 2023 10:54 PM

Her Wikipedia page list her as the “casting director” for the original Sweeney, Evita, Merrily, and Into the Woods among others. Pretty impressive to have been involved in casting all those shows. I’m sure she had the scoop on Betty and Into the Woods.

by Anonymousreply 229October 16, 2023 11:59 PM

Uh, r229, you left out the most important show...FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 230October 17, 2023 1:20 AM

It’s all her fault—She couldn’t discern a Phyllis from a Sally!

by Anonymousreply 231October 17, 2023 1:26 AM

Any interest in the three-day new production if THE FROGS? I saw the one with Nathan in Lincoln Center some years ago and remember nothing about it.

by Anonymousreply 232October 17, 2023 1:51 AM

THE FROGS is a show that doesn't really need a production. You can get pretty much the same experience listening to the CD.

by Anonymousreply 233October 17, 2023 2:15 AM

ribbit

by Anonymousreply 234October 17, 2023 2:15 AM

I think Sondheim was correct in his assessment that THE FROGS was essentially a play for which he wrote some incidental songs, not really a "musical."

by Anonymousreply 235October 17, 2023 2:17 AM

It's literal violence.

by Anonymousreply 236October 17, 2023 3:53 AM

Betty Lynn paid tribute to Joanna Merlin on Instagram as did Donna Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 237October 17, 2023 4:04 AM

[quote]Any interest in the three-day new production if THE FROGS? I saw the one with Nathan in Lincoln Center some years ago and remember nothing about it.

I didn't see it, but I remember Chris Kattan was shitcanned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238October 17, 2023 7:00 AM

…and was never heard from again

by Anonymousreply 239October 17, 2023 11:19 AM

In Sondheim's second volume of his lyrics he apologized for seeming to make derogatory comments about Lane's work on the revised Frogs production that played at Lincoln Center.

I also saw that production and remember nothing about it.

by Anonymousreply 240October 17, 2023 12:40 PM

Well, I saw THE FROGS when it was originally performed at the Yale University campus swimming pool in the mid-70s. I was there applying to the Drama School (I got in!) and I remember little of the production except for the heavy smell of chlorine and and a misty smog hanging over the proceedings. Fun though looking at my program now to see the names of Meryl and Sigourney in the frog chorus. It was definitely more of a play (or spectacle, a cheap one) with music than a full out musical.

by Anonymousreply 241October 17, 2023 1:14 PM

THE FROGS is not a great show, but it's a lot more entertaining than BOUNCE or ROAD SHOW or whatever the hell that thing wound up being called. Also more entertaining than PASSION, though I suppose that one wasn't exactly designed to be "entertaining."

by Anonymousreply 242October 17, 2023 1:51 PM

The original production of THE FROGS was basically the original play with just a few incidental songs added, but presumably you all know that Sondheim wrote several more songs for the version that was presented years later at Lincoln Center. That's the version that will be done in the upcoming concert, so regardless of how anyone feels about the quality of the show, it is now a full musical. Unlike, apparently, HERE WE ARE.

by Anonymousreply 243October 17, 2023 1:57 PM

Funny. I saw it at Lincoln Center also, and remember nothing about either.

by Anonymousreply 244October 17, 2023 2:24 PM

I do remember Burke Moses looking yummy.

by Anonymousreply 245October 17, 2023 2:34 PM

Kattan was a nasty coke hound, which was why he was 86'd.

by Anonymousreply 246October 17, 2023 3:22 PM

And Broadway is officially dead. Who's planning the wake?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247October 17, 2023 3:47 PM

Yeah, R247, they definitely are grasping at straws to fill the empty theaters. On the other hand, there are still some big Broadway successes, like MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG and SWEENEY TODD, not to mention all of the shows that have been running at a profit for so long that some of us forget they're even still running, like BOOK OR MORMON, ALADDIN, and THE LION KING.

by Anonymousreply 248October 17, 2023 3:50 PM

What I find most ironic is that they are filling these theaters with shows that are more geared towards Off-Broadway. Yet Off-Broadway is dead. Is there any way to bring back commercial off-Broadway in a larger way than just Little Shop of Horrors? Because for the past three seasons, I could name a good dozen or more shows that might have done much better off-Broadway than on. Or is there really no way to make money off-Broadway outside of the fluke hit?

by Anonymousreply 249October 17, 2023 3:59 PM

R249 I know you’re talking about commercial (for profit) off-Broadway productions, but at least a lot of the theater companies are still doing good work off-Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 250October 17, 2023 4:09 PM

Print advertising (ie. The Times) was always sited as the reason commercial off-Broadway was no longer viable - The Times didn't have "off-Broadway" rates. Well, fast-forward and The NYT is no longer even necessary for advertising. Could commercial OB make a comeback?

My Son's a Queer (how AWFUL is that title????) should be a The Orpheum in the East Village.

by Anonymousreply 251October 17, 2023 4:18 PM

Has anyone seen JOB at the Soho Playhouse? Run sold out before the opening and there's a high demand for tickets. Allegedly.

by Anonymousreply 252October 17, 2023 4:22 PM

$1.7 million for Merrily last week!

$600k for Here Lies Love.

by Anonymousreply 253October 17, 2023 4:29 PM

And $1.93 for Purlie Victorius.

by Anonymousreply 254October 17, 2023 4:34 PM

Sad about Purlie though I haven't seen it so blame me for its failure.

by Anonymousreply 255October 17, 2023 4:42 PM

Obviously it's got a sure-fire title and some star power (even in replacements) but surely producers should do a case study of LITTLE SHOP and copy whatever it's done to succeed and get some more off-Broadway hits going. Or is it really just barely getting by and not returning much profit to its investors? More of a succes d'estime?

by Anonymousreply 256October 17, 2023 4:46 PM

Titanique has been a huge hit off-Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 257October 17, 2023 4:47 PM

I feel bad for Melissa Etheridge.

She's been grossing only like 200k weekly.

I remember she was popular in the '90s.

The musical ABOUT Neil Diamond managed to cross $1 million.

by Anonymousreply 258October 17, 2023 4:56 PM

Melissa is at a tiny theatre, Circle in the Square.

by Anonymousreply 259October 17, 2023 4:58 PM

[quote] Print advertising... was always sited as the reason

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 260October 17, 2023 4:58 PM

[quote]Melissa is at a tiny theatre, Circle in the Square.

Also, it looks like she's only doing 5 shows a week.

by Anonymousreply 261October 17, 2023 4:59 PM

[quote] I saw the one with Nathan in Lincoln Center some years ago and remember nothing about it.

[quote] I also saw that production and remember nothing about it.

Do you remember breakfast? your name? where the keys are?

by Anonymousreply 262October 17, 2023 4:59 PM

Any word on a CD for Merrily? I can’t believe they aren’t going to record one.

by Anonymousreply 263October 17, 2023 5:15 PM

If Purlie is tanking, why isn't it on TDF more often?

by Anonymousreply 264October 17, 2023 5:24 PM

R263, I can't imagine there's any possibility that there won't be a cast recording of this production of MERRILY. Of course, just because you haven't read any announcement of it doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 265October 17, 2023 5:33 PM

Melissa Etheridge's show had an Off-Broadway run last year. If she and the producers had known that Broadway was a possibility, I suspect that run would never have happened, but as it is, of course it must have gobbled up a large amount of her audience.

by Anonymousreply 266October 17, 2023 5:35 PM

[quote]not to mention all of the shows that have been running at a profit for so long that some of us forget they're even still running, like BOOK OR MORMON, ALADDIN, and THE LION KING.

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 267October 17, 2023 5:55 PM

Bring back 'STOMP"!

by Anonymousreply 268October 17, 2023 6:00 PM

Bring Back BIRDIE! (Not)

by Anonymousreply 269October 17, 2023 6:08 PM

Any word on The Refuge Plays? I’m going to see it tonight. My friend was interested and asked me to go, so I said okay.

by Anonymousreply 270October 17, 2023 6:49 PM

A very smart friend of mine saw it and highly recommended The Refuge Plays to me. Haven't seen it though. Let us know what you think, r270.

by Anonymousreply 271October 17, 2023 8:39 PM

Thanks, R271. I will.

by Anonymousreply 272October 17, 2023 8:56 PM

Etheridge is no Broadway Baby.

by Anonymousreply 273October 17, 2023 10:33 PM

Isn't Refugee Plays like three and a half hours?

by Anonymousreply 274October 17, 2023 11:11 PM

I still think Sondheim et al missed the mark when Mary reprises NOT A DAY GOES BY. We all know that she was in love with Franklin, since it's telegraphed to us right from the first scene. This musical moment just solidifies all the gossip. But what should have happened is that halfway through the number, Charlie should have joined her. The real surprise would have been to learn that Charlie was in love with Frank as well. Yeah, he ends up straight and married with kids, but the severity of Charlie's breakup with Frank could have been justified by more than Frank's absence from the team - it was that Charlie was in love with Frank, and that was the ultimate betrayal. What a lovely duet that would have been - NOT A DAY GOES BY with Mary & Charlie.

But as we all know, Sondheim nixed any real gay charterers or themes in his work, even when it would help the story.

imho

by Anonymousreply 275October 17, 2023 11:16 PM

r275 No one would ever believe that two men involved in musical theater were GAY.

by Anonymousreply 276October 18, 2023 12:56 AM

r275, Except the first London production of COMPANY, a man singing Could I Leave you in SIDE BY SIDE, and the two male lovers in ROAD SHOW. Oh, and the original lyric of We're Gonna Be Alright from WALTZ.

So you're wrong, and also misguided about the need for a gay element in MERRILY.

by Anonymousreply 277October 18, 2023 1:30 AM

R277, I'm a bit confused what you mean about the original London production of COMPANY. Are you referring to casting Larry Kert (whose gayness was visible from space), and the infamous anecdote that followed:

Kert: Who do I have to fuck to get out of this show?

Sondheim: The same person you fucked to get in it.

by Anonymousreply 278October 18, 2023 2:24 AM

I think r277 was refering to the first London REVIVAL.

by Anonymousreply 279October 18, 2023 2:49 AM

It’s Refuge not Refugee. Jeez

by Anonymousreply 280October 18, 2023 2:51 AM

[quote]a man singing Could I Leave you in SIDE BY SIDE

Isn't Sondheim on the record as having hated this?

by Anonymousreply 281October 18, 2023 3:31 AM

Well, Gavin Lee is currently singing Could I leave you in Old Friends in London so fuck you, dead Steve!

And I saw Here We Are tonight. What a hot mess!!

by Anonymousreply 282October 18, 2023 3:52 AM

Tom Kitt and Cameron Crowe to beat a dead horse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283October 18, 2023 4:14 AM

At this point Crowe should give up on Famous and move on to "We Bought a Zoo: The Musical!"

by Anonymousreply 284October 18, 2023 4:34 AM

Well, Tom Kitt writes a lot. He doesn't write a lot of good shows, but he writes [italic] a lot [/italic] .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285October 18, 2023 12:38 PM

If Sondheim had hated the SIDE BY SIDE version of Could I Leave You he could have blocked it.

by Anonymousreply 286October 18, 2023 12:49 PM

Beanie on being Jewish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287October 18, 2023 2:21 PM

imagine being the artist whose work might have been passed over so Almost Famous could be "retooled".

Did Cameron Crowe write a hefty check to the O Neill to make it happen?

by Anonymousreply 288October 18, 2023 2:55 PM

[quote] I was the only Jewish kid in my community theater production of Annie. But my Dad paid for the entire thing, so I told them all to go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 289October 18, 2023 3:19 PM

SUFFS going into the Music Box. Hilary Clinton is a producer.

by Anonymousreply 290October 18, 2023 3:39 PM

I really wish the League would lay down the law on these bullshit celebrity "producers" and make them ineligible to win a Tony for merely lending their names to a production.

by Anonymousreply 291October 18, 2023 3:50 PM

It is embarrassing of the O'Neill Center to give time and space to a show written by a famous movie director that already flopped on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 292October 18, 2023 4:02 PM

[quote]I really wish the League would lay down the law on these bullshit celebrity "producers" and make them ineligible to win a Tony for merely lending their names to a production.

How do you know what their participation is? La Chanze is hands on with her shows and Whoopi was definitely involved and even flew to London which she's deathly afraid of, to over see their openings.

by Anonymousreply 293October 18, 2023 4:27 PM

Hilary won an Emmy this year and previously won the Grammy. If she gets the Tony for SUFFS and then an Oscar then she is EGOT

by Anonymousreply 294October 18, 2023 4:38 PM

I love Hillary. I voted for Hillary. I think having her as your "producer" is really dumb. You've alienated 1/2 the audience, and for the remaining you've raised a "WTF" does this mean?

by Anonymousreply 295October 18, 2023 4:53 PM

[quote]You've alienated 1/2 the audience, and for the remaining you've raised a "WTF" does this mean?

Lol, sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 296October 18, 2023 4:55 PM

r293 Why is Whoopi so scared of London?

by Anonymousreply 297October 18, 2023 5:19 PM

Incidentally, that HILLARY AND CLINTON play a few years ago, starring Laurie Metcalf and John Lithgow, was a major flop!

It closed early because of poor ticket sales.

by Anonymousreply 298October 18, 2023 5:20 PM

r291 There's no chance that producers give up what's probably their number one way to raise money.

by Anonymousreply 299October 18, 2023 5:21 PM

[quote]Incidentally, that HILLARY AND CLINTON play a few years ago, starring Laurie Metcalf and John Lithgow, was a major flop!

shriek

by Anonymousreply 300October 18, 2023 5:22 PM

r297, the flying not the city. [italic] Oy gevalt. [italic]

by Anonymousreply 301October 18, 2023 6:46 PM

Whoosh

by Anonymousreply 302October 18, 2023 7:22 PM

They should add an exclamation point to the title of Suffs!

by Anonymousreply 303October 18, 2023 9:31 PM

I'm sorry but SUFFS makes me cackle. 😂

I automatically think of the SMURFS. 🤣

They couldn't think of a better title?

The 2004 HBO movie IRON JAWED ANGELS covered the same story and had a much better, intriguing title -- based on what one of their critics called the suffragists.

by Anonymousreply 304October 18, 2023 9:41 PM

Which will close faster: Suffs or Days of Wine & Roses?

by Anonymousreply 305October 18, 2023 9:53 PM

Suffs! replaced almost the entire creative team—save the director.

by Anonymousreply 306October 18, 2023 10:00 PM

Did anyone else find Jonathon Groff's ass a major distraction? I couldn't concentrate with that big thing shoved in my face every time he turned around.

by Anonymousreply 307October 18, 2023 10:01 PM

I sat in the second row at NYTW, and people who have commented in the past about how much he spits weren't kidding. It was distracting, and I felt bad for his co-stars. What is the deal with the spitting?

by Anonymousreply 308October 18, 2023 10:04 PM

Change the name to SNUFF—S! and all of Hell’s Kitchen will be knocking on the box office door.

by Anonymousreply 309October 18, 2023 10:05 PM

I sat in row J today r303 and his chin was always wet after a song and thought he was drooling.

by Anonymousreply 310October 18, 2023 10:18 PM

sorry i meant r308.

by Anonymousreply 311October 18, 2023 10:19 PM

R308, Angela Lansbury spit profusely when she sang out. When she sang “The Worst Pies in London” it looked like a summer shower.

by Anonymousreply 312October 18, 2023 10:30 PM

Perhaps the theaters need to mark certain seats as being in the Splash Zone.

by Anonymousreply 313October 18, 2023 10:42 PM

JG has always spat and always will. The Splash Zone line has been used before in this context.

by Anonymousreply 314October 18, 2023 11:08 PM

[quote]JG has always spat and always will.

He doesn't swallow?

by Anonymousreply 315October 18, 2023 11:14 PM

Seems insanely disrespectful to your colleagues, especially if he's done it for ages and never done work on stopping it.

by Anonymousreply 316October 18, 2023 11:30 PM

I've seen two shows close up that were memorable for spitters. The first one was M. Butterfly with John Lithgow, which was one of my first ever plays. We were far back enough we were not in danger of being spat on, but close enough to be able to see it happening and to see the audience members in the first row ducking. Lithgow came to the very lip of the stage to perform a monologue and it was like "Singin in the Rain." It caused such a distraction that people in the first couple rows began to laugh.

The second one was the Raul Esparza production of Company. Raul spit so much when he sang, I don't know how he kept hydrated through each performance. This time we were in the 2nd row center towards the house right aisle and both my friend and I were rained on. It actually felt more like when you're driving through one of those nature preserves and a llama covers your windshield in phlegm.

by Anonymousreply 317October 18, 2023 11:33 PM

R314, Lea Michele said that Groff is a chronic nighttime drooler and awakens to a wet pillow in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 318October 18, 2023 11:42 PM

Elliott Gould had a major perspiration problem on stage.

by Anonymousreply 319October 18, 2023 11:44 PM

I still marvel at how Barbra could have let him inside her between the sweating and the hairy back.

by Anonymousreply 320October 18, 2023 11:48 PM

Antonio Banderas did a lot of spitting in Nine. It was kind of hot.

by Anonymousreply 321October 18, 2023 11:51 PM

SUFFS!

by Anonymousreply 322October 19, 2023 12:27 AM

I've seen Groff onstage several times -- 2 or 3 times in the original SPRING AWAKENING, twice in HAMILTON, plus a concert or two -- and each time he was outstanding not just vocally but in terms of incredible focus and presence. I never noticed a saliva issue -- which tells me not that he doesn't have one but that his performances have always been so strong that I'm not distracted by something like that.

"Spitting" makes it sound as he's hawking a loogie every 10 seconds, which is obviously not the case. I'm guessing that it's a function of his articulation -- perhaps part of how his sound always comes out so directly, with the lyrics always clear as a bell? -- and not just some random "rude" thing he does. (You've got to love how people like R314 have decided that this is some mannerism he does that deeply upsets his colleagues, while he blithely refuses to do a thing about it. No evidence for either of those things, but sure, say they're both so anyway.)

by Anonymousreply 323October 19, 2023 12:46 AM

[quote] I never noticed a saliva issue

Oh Honey, it's legendary. They should have handed out ponchos for the first row like they did for "Evil Dead, The Musical" and the blood splatter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324October 19, 2023 12:52 AM

I don't think he has control over it, r323, but lots of video exists showing how extreme Groff's spitting is.

by Anonymousreply 325October 19, 2023 12:53 AM

He spat?!—his tops insisted he lube his own hole first…amirite?

by Anonymousreply 326October 19, 2023 1:02 AM

[quote] He doesn't swallow?

Oh honey, don’t kid yourself.

by Anonymousreply 327October 19, 2023 1:18 AM

200 posts about an actor, spitting… from a bunch of old farts who can’t hold their water or keep their teeth in.

by Anonymousreply 328October 19, 2023 1:54 AM

Of which you are one, R328.

by Anonymousreply 329October 19, 2023 2:09 AM

[quote]Lea Michele said that Groff is a chronic nighttime drooler and awakens to a wet pillow in the morning.

And she would know that how?

by Anonymousreply 330October 19, 2023 2:16 AM

R330, They’re very close friends and certainly have slept in each other’s homes.

She showed him her vagina, for Christ’s sake.

by Anonymousreply 331October 19, 2023 2:20 AM

I'm sure he was most grateful, R331.

by Anonymousreply 332October 19, 2023 2:22 AM

I love the "Mary Poppins" scene in which Glynis Johns sings "Sister Suffs"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333October 19, 2023 2:25 AM

I want Papi to spit on me.

by Anonymousreply 334October 19, 2023 3:58 AM

I saw THE REFUGE PLAYS last night and my reaction was a bit mixed. The cast is first-rate -- Nicole Ari Parker is luminous in the role of lead character Early -- and the play itself is interesting but so much of it just felt like padding by a playwright more interested in writing an "epic" than including scenes that build character and advance the plot. (One scene, in act two, actually does reveal something important about a major character but is cloaked in babble about a water pump.) Some people left after the first act and it appeared even more after the second (because the theater isn't very big, my friend was concerned that this would be both noticeable and hurtful to the actors), though we hung in till the end and were very glad we did. The third act is terrific and really should have been the first because it draws the two main characters even more sharply plus showcases the great chemistry between Watts and Parker, which the play could've benefited from greatly in the first two acts. So in the end, not a total miss for me but a mixed experience at best, though one I'd still recommend chiefly due to the wonderful work being done by Parker, who is a real stage talent.

by Anonymousreply 335October 19, 2023 4:48 AM

[quote]She showed him her vagina, for Christ’s sake.

If she did that to me, my pillow would be wet, too -- from vomit.

by Anonymousreply 336October 19, 2023 5:08 AM

[quote]If she did that to me, my pillow would be wet, too -- from vomit.

Sweetie, it wasn't "Misery", he wasn't bound. It was all consensual.

by Anonymousreply 337October 19, 2023 9:46 AM

[quote](You've got to love how people like [R314] have decided that this is some mannerism he does that deeply upsets his colleagues, while he blithely refuses to do a thing about it. No evidence for either of those things, but sure, say they're both so anyway

The word "seems" confuses you, does it? Mind you, given you're unable to correctly quote a post number, you're clearly addled. I'm sure his colleagues absolutely love being spit on.

by Anonymousreply 338October 19, 2023 10:55 AM

I don’t have the attention span for a 3 act play anymore. I fully admit I have been ruined and now I want my plays at 90 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 339October 19, 2023 11:14 AM

R339, And movies do not need to be longer than two hours.

I’m looking at you, Marty Scorsese.

by Anonymousreply 340October 19, 2023 11:38 AM

Yeah, but at least you can watch a move at home and spread it over a couple of viewings.

by Anonymousreply 341October 19, 2023 11:41 AM

R339 do you mean straight plays or musicals too?

by Anonymousreply 342October 19, 2023 11:44 AM

R342 just straight plays. I can handle longer musicals.

by Anonymousreply 343October 19, 2023 1:25 PM

I can handle the socks.

by Anonymousreply 344October 19, 2023 1:27 PM

R343, When I attended a matinee of Torch Song Trilogy, I had no idea it was nearly three hours.

Enjoyed the play, but with tickets to see Death of a Salesman with Dustin Hoffman that evening, my ass was sore.

by Anonymousreply 345October 19, 2023 2:00 PM

R345, Make that nearly four hours.

by Anonymousreply 346October 19, 2023 2:04 PM

Which part of “trilogy” did you not get…as to the play’s lengthiness?

by Anonymousreply 347October 19, 2023 2:51 PM

But at least you didn't have to endue Michael Urie in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 348October 19, 2023 2:52 PM

[quote] Enjoyed the play, but with tickets to see Death of a Salesman with Dustin Hoffman that evening, my ass was sore.

You sure your ass wasn't sore beforehand?

by Anonymousreply 349October 19, 2023 4:15 PM

Sweeney like it's running into spring, past Josh & Annaleigh who leave Jan 14. Interesting choice, I wish them well except for their monstrous ticket prices.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350October 19, 2023 4:42 PM

R350, We’re available.

by Anonymousreply 351October 19, 2023 4:44 PM

Sounds like they have replacements lined up for ST. What are Audra and Will up to?

by Anonymousreply 352October 19, 2023 4:49 PM

Ben Platt and Beanie or for a new interpretation, Norm Lewis and Billy Porter.

by Anonymousreply 353October 19, 2023 4:52 PM

Josh Groban got a nose job when he was a teenager, right?

by Anonymousreply 354October 19, 2023 4:53 PM

Saw I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE the other night and quite enjoyed it. A somewhat messy constantly tone-shifting book (which original author/librettist Jerome Weideman's son John is attempting to clean up) and with perhaps too many characters given a song but well worth seeing if only as a curiosity piece. Julia Lester as Miss Marmelstein once again steals the show, though Santino Fontana deserves bonus points for so comfortably portraying a charming heel.

I couldn't decide if the extreme intimacy of CSC helped or hindered the production. Serious musical theater-goers, don't miss it!

by Anonymousreply 355October 19, 2023 5:01 PM

[quote]We’re available.

Sadly, we're not.

by Anonymousreply 356October 19, 2023 6:13 PM

[quote]Ben Platt and Beanie

Be hard to sing about the Worst Pies in London when she's eaten them all

by Anonymousreply 357October 19, 2023 6:43 PM

Weren't there rumors that it was going to be Chenoweth and Cummings? Or was that because of the Schmicago bit they did?

by Anonymousreply 358October 19, 2023 7:19 PM

R358 the bad news is if it is them it will sell well…

by Anonymousreply 359October 19, 2023 7:50 PM

R339 amen. I'm seeing Stereophonic this weekend and was surprised to find out it's 3 hours long. This had better be worth it.

by Anonymousreply 360October 19, 2023 8:29 PM

Really curious to see who'll take over in Sweeney. I didn't want to see Groban and Ashford, but the right replacements may get me there!

by Anonymousreply 361October 19, 2023 11:44 PM

The rumor on ATC is that it will be Sutton and Aaron T.

by Anonymousreply 362October 19, 2023 11:45 PM

[quote] The rumor on ATC is that it will be Sutton and Aaron T.

Oh, well...that's one way to save $300.

by Anonymousreply 363October 19, 2023 11:49 PM

Disorder & disarray!

by Anonymousreply 364October 19, 2023 11:50 PM

Not since Suffs!

by Anonymousreply 365October 19, 2023 11:52 PM

[quote]rumor on ATC is that it will be Sutton and Aaron T.

Sutton is booked for Once Upon a Mattress at Encores in January. In addition to which, she’s ten years older than Tveitt.

by Anonymousreply 366October 20, 2023 1:40 AM

[quote]rumor on ATC is that it will be Sutton and Aaron T.

Sutton is booked for Once Upon a Mattress at Encores in January. In addition to which, she’s ten years older than Tveitt.

by Anonymousreply 367October 20, 2023 1:40 AM

Move over Marat/Sade, make way for TVEIT/TODD.

by Anonymousreply 368October 20, 2023 1:45 AM

R366, R367, Angela Lansbury was fourteen years older than Len Cariou.

by Anonymousreply 369October 20, 2023 1:45 AM

R366, R367, Josh and Annaleigh do not leave until January 14th.

by Anonymousreply 370October 20, 2023 1:47 AM

We could all be dead by then.

by Anonymousreply 371October 20, 2023 2:21 AM

Saw Gardens of Anuncia. first preview. Sweet, surprisingly melodic for MJL, and ultimately deadly dull. And since it's the story of Graciela Daniele, why is there so little dancing? Andre Bishop was there, looking grim.

by Anonymousreply 372October 20, 2023 3:25 AM

[quote]Sounds like they have replacements lined up for ST. What are Audra and Will up to?

Umm, Will Swenson does not remotely have the pipes to sing the role of Sweeney Todd. And neither does Aaron Tveit, so I hope that suggestion was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 373October 20, 2023 5:03 AM

I love how DL inexplicably hates Aaron Tveit, but he always comes out on top!

by Anonymousreply 374October 20, 2023 6:05 AM

Daniel Radcliffe, Jonathan Groff & Lindsay Mendez Take Lie Detector Tests:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375October 20, 2023 7:16 AM

Josh Groban And Annaleigh Ashford Set Final ‘Sweeney Todd’ Broadway Performances:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376October 20, 2023 7:27 AM

Jonathan Groff admits to spitting on Daniel Radcliffe, says he gets “wet” when he sings (us too!):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377October 20, 2023 7:30 AM

R373 has obviously never seen Aaron Tveit perform.

by Anonymousreply 378October 20, 2023 8:09 AM

I just rewatched the Tonys when Lindsay Mendez won, and she’s much heavier now than she was then. Is it stress eating caused by her divorce? Or not losing the baby weight?

by Anonymousreply 379October 20, 2023 9:19 AM

R379 I think it’s refreshing not to see someone jump on the Ozempic bandwagon.

by Anonymousreply 380October 20, 2023 10:26 AM

Being a little plump is perfect for Mary.

by Anonymousreply 381October 20, 2023 12:30 PM

Haydn Gwynne has passed away. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 382October 20, 2023 12:31 PM

Link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383October 20, 2023 12:36 PM

Haydn in City of Angels

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384October 20, 2023 12:44 PM

Holy cow! I had wondered when she dropped out of Old Friends what had happened, but this was crazy quick!

by Anonymousreply 385October 20, 2023 1:57 PM

Diagnosis to death in only a month or so is horrifying. Fuck cancer.

by Anonymousreply 386October 20, 2023 2:01 PM

[quote]I think it’s refreshing not to see someone jump on the Ozempic bandwagon.

I tried jumping on the bandwagon and it collapsed.

by Anonymousreply 387October 20, 2023 2:01 PM

I'm shocked that My Son's A Queer is moving to Broadway. I saw it in London and loved it, but it was always heavily discounted, and even with that there were plenty of empty seats when I went. It's a very small show that belongs in small venues - shorts stints at arts festivals and that sort of thing. The humour is very British, as are many of the references in the show. Madge is delightful but I don't think this will go over well with US audiences.

by Anonymousreply 388October 20, 2023 3:42 PM

R388 it's another stupid decision by the inexplicably clueless producers.

by Anonymousreply 389October 20, 2023 3:49 PM

You're always bitching about the factory shows for tourists and now something different is coming and everybody is too stupid to get it.

Bitches, there may be a problem here.

by Anonymousreply 390October 20, 2023 3:52 PM

[quote] You're always bitching about the factory shows for tourists and now something different is coming and everybody is too stupid to get it.

Maybe you're the one too stupid to get it. No one is saying it shouldn't be produced in NYC at all, just that it's a small show with a limited audience that is not going to bear up to Broadway prices and the tourist trade. It would be far better suited to a smaller, off-Broadway venue.

by Anonymousreply 391October 20, 2023 4:07 PM

R378, I have seen and heard Aaron Tveit perform many times, and I stand by my comment that he does not have the pipes to sing the role of SWEENEY TODD. To clarify, I guess he might be able to hit all the notes -- though I'm not sure about the lowest ones -- and he MIGHT have the stamina to sing the role seven or eight times a week, but his voice is all wrong for the part in terms of timbre, range of colors, etc.

by Anonymousreply 392October 20, 2023 5:20 PM

[quote]I have seen and heard Aaron Tveit perform many times, and I stand by my comment that he does not have the pipes to sing the role of SWEENEY TODD.

Well, Sondheim thought Johnny Depp could and Tveit is light years better than him.

by Anonymousreply 393October 20, 2023 5:28 PM

No, R391, certain it's you. The line is: "I don't think this will go over well with US audiences." So venue's not an issue, though it was your dodge. Have a nice day, stupid.

by Anonymousreply 394October 20, 2023 5:29 PM

[quote] No, [R391], certain it's you. The line is: "I don't think this will go over well with US audiences." So venue's not an issue, though it was your dodge. Have a nice day, stupid.

I'm not the person who made the original comment. Also, you weren't singling any one person out with your statement. You were making a blanket statement about everyone who has said certain shows shouldn't come to NYC, which is not what everyone has said. Perhaps that one person who made the above statement did, but you weren't singling him out. Until you got caught being wrong.

Care to try again, or do you just want to scurry off?

by Anonymousreply 395October 20, 2023 5:36 PM

Love when the stupid queens here start going back and forth. Makes for such great reading

by Anonymousreply 396October 20, 2023 5:36 PM

^^ that was facetious but you’re probably too stupid to get it

by Anonymousreply 397October 20, 2023 5:37 PM

And your genius comment contributed so mightily to the discourse, R396/R397?

by Anonymousreply 398October 20, 2023 5:38 PM

R395, For someone with no skin in the game you're sure huffy, missy.

by Anonymousreply 399October 20, 2023 6:04 PM

Or should I say hissy? On the bright side, R395 is finally in possession of some thin skin.

by Anonymousreply 400October 20, 2023 6:06 PM

I don't have a dog in this race, but I have to agree that MY SON'S A QUEER is going to flop badly on Broadway.

The title is stupid and it looks grotesque.

by Anonymousreply 401October 20, 2023 6:10 PM

R392- and Audra has the wrong voice to play Billie Holliday too, right? I wouldn’t doubt Tveit’s ability to give a credible performance. Especially since he always plays roles seriously. This time, it would make sense.

by Anonymousreply 402October 20, 2023 6:11 PM

Am I the only person who doesn’t worship Audra McDonald?

by Anonymousreply 403October 20, 2023 6:27 PM

Is he a little homosexual boy or not?

by Anonymousreply 404October 20, 2023 6:27 PM

[quote] I have seen and heard Aaron Tveit perform many times, and I stand by my comment that he does not have the pipes to sing the role of SWEENEY TODD. To clarify, I guess he might be able to hit all the notes -- though I'm not sure about the lowest ones -- and he MIGHT have the stamina to sing the role seven or eight times a week, but his voice is all wrong for the part in terms of timbre, range of colors, etc.

I'll be available in January.

by Anonymousreply 405October 20, 2023 6:56 PM

R392, If only I wasn’t already committed to Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 406October 20, 2023 7:00 PM

[quote]And Audra has the wrong voice to play Billie Holliday too, right? I wouldn’t doubt Tveit’s ability to give a credible performance. Especially since he always plays roles seriously. This time, it would make sense.

Two completely different situations. I still stand by my comment that Tveit's voice is all wrong for Sweeney in terms of weight, color, and his style of singing. You are free to disagree, but I for one hope we never get to find out for sure, because I hope he won't be cast in the role

by Anonymousreply 407October 20, 2023 7:08 PM

Well we wouldn't want to risk end of days, which it surely would be. I mean, Tveit... singing Sweeney. What's next, an ALW revival?!?

by Anonymousreply 408October 20, 2023 7:13 PM

Nobody suggested Tveit as Sweeney would be an "end of days" scenario. So calm down, bucko.

by Anonymousreply 409October 20, 2023 7:44 PM

Oh, honey. Reread R407. I've heard rads hiss less during a cold snap.

by Anonymousreply 410October 20, 2023 7:49 PM

R410, I AM, in fact, R407. I do hope Tveit will not be cast as Sweeney, but if that does come to pass, I don't think it will cause the earth to stop spinning on its axis.

by Anonymousreply 411October 20, 2023 7:51 PM

Yeah, kinda guessed, R411.

by Anonymousreply 412October 20, 2023 7:52 PM

I'm wondering if the poster who is so horrified by Aaron Tveit as Sweeney is the same poster who was so horrified by Eddie Redmayne's performance as the Emcee, both judged without seeing an actual performance?

by Anonymousreply 413October 20, 2023 8:07 PM

[quote]I'm wondering if the poster who is so horrified by Aaron Tveit as Sweeney is the same poster who was so horrified by Eddie Redmayne's performance as the Emcee, both judged without seeing an actual performance?

Yes, indeed, I am one in the same person. I judged Redmayne's performance based on the CABARET cast recording. If he and the producers feel his performance on the album is not representative of his performance in the theater, then maybe they shouldn't have released the album.

As for Aaron Tveit as SWEENEY, I don't think it's unreasonable to state that his singing voice is not right for the role based on the way he has sounded in NEXT TO NORMAL, the LES MISERABLES movie, GREASE on TV, MOULIN ROUGE, etc. If it were announced that Kristin Chenoweth was going to play Rose in GYPSY, I don't think you would be offended if lots of people suggested she wasn't right for the role based on everything she has done before.

Hilarious the way you diss me for "judging performances I haven't seen" when I'm SURE you yourself do that frequently, as do so many other people.

by Anonymousreply 414October 20, 2023 8:39 PM

Whoever thought that Aaron Tveit could arouse such passions? Well, aside from in stage door twinks.

by Anonymousreply 415October 20, 2023 8:55 PM

Actually, R415, there is not much "passion" involved in this discussion of Tveit -- at least, not on my part. I just don't think he'd be any good as Sweeney Todd, and I think it's silly that anyone ever seriously mentioned him for the part.

by Anonymousreply 416October 20, 2023 8:58 PM

Redmayne is almost unintelligble in the Cabaret recording. I don't blame the earlier "audio only" critic in the thread.

VERY curious if this performance is much better live.

I love this show and hope whoever is cast can make the show last. I remember seeing clips of Alan Cumming that first piqued my interest in the early 200s0.

by Anonymousreply 417October 20, 2023 9:05 PM

Is he hung? ‘Cause if he’s hung, he gets dispensation to sing out loud as Sweeney til the cows come home. Or until the latest BBC OR PINGA cums in Hell’s Kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 418October 20, 2023 9:06 PM

r414, what did you think when Bernadette Peters was announced for GYPSY? What about Tyne Daly? Sometimes actors surprise you.

by Anonymousreply 419October 20, 2023 9:09 PM

[quote]Redmayne is almost unintelligble in the Cabaret recording. I don't blame the earlier "audio only" critic in the thread. VERY curious if this performance is much better live.

The only way it could be "much better" live would be if he suddenly decided to deliver every line of his lyrics and dialogue in a completely different way, far less vulgar and offensive and not so horribly overacted. Which doesn't seem very likely.

by Anonymousreply 420October 20, 2023 9:11 PM

Many thought Josh Groban was a questionable choice to play Sweeney Todd.

by Anonymousreply 421October 20, 2023 9:15 PM

R419, lots of people questioned the casting of Peters as Rose in GYPSY because they felt she was the wrong physical and vocal type -- and some, though not of all, of those people felt the same way after they saw and heard her in the show.

As for Tyne as Rose, along with many other people, I suppose I was skeptical or at least curious about her casting only because I don't believe I had ever heard her sing at that point. Again, a very different situation from thinking Aaron Tveit is the wrong vocal type for Sweeney based on all of his past work.

by Anonymousreply 422October 20, 2023 9:16 PM

Can't decide if the anti-Tveit poster is 16 or 80.

by Anonymousreply 423October 20, 2023 9:31 PM

Speaking of gossip—remember gossip?—does anyone know why Jennifer Holliday dropped out of (or was dumped from) Pal Joey at City Center?

by Anonymousreply 424October 20, 2023 9:31 PM

Ben Platt for Sweeney.

by Anonymousreply 425October 20, 2023 9:32 PM

Beanie for Sweeney!

by Anonymousreply 426October 20, 2023 9:35 PM

[quote]Can't decide if the anti-Tveit poster is 16 or 80.

And I'm sure you'll spend some sleepless nights pondering this burning question.

by Anonymousreply 427October 20, 2023 10:10 PM

I think somebody's stuck in a soundtrack doom loop.

by Anonymousreply 428October 20, 2023 10:55 PM

R424. She wasn’t willing to play Chez Joey.

by Anonymousreply 429October 20, 2023 11:10 PM

Jennifer Holiday dropped out of Joey because she'll be replacing Annaleigh Ashford in ST come January and needs time to prepare.

by Anonymousreply 430October 20, 2023 11:43 PM

R422, Like him or not, Aaron Tveit has a tremendous fan base and that is what producers want.

Aaron has said numerous times in interviews that Sweeney Todd is his dream role.

by Anonymousreply 431October 21, 2023 12:47 AM

r431 = Wayman

by Anonymousreply 432October 21, 2023 1:40 AM

Between SUFFS and LEMPICKA, it's a bountiful spring for lesbians on Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 433October 21, 2023 2:16 AM

Will Jonathan successfully seduce Daniel before the limited run is over?

by Anonymousreply 434October 21, 2023 2:29 AM

[quote]Aaron has said numerous times in interviews that Sweeney Todd is his dream role.

I was unaware of that, but....I think he's going to have to dream on.

by Anonymousreply 435October 21, 2023 2:54 AM

Sweeney will be Norm Lewis and Audra McDonald.

by Anonymousreply 436October 21, 2023 3:16 AM

Will Norm croon Sweeney's ballads?

by Anonymousreply 437October 21, 2023 3:18 AM

Will Norm actually learn his lines?

by Anonymousreply 438October 21, 2023 3:23 AM

Jennifer Holliday was actually the front runner for the witch in the 2002 into the woods, until Vanessa took it. It was down to Jennifer, Vanessa and Billy Porter.

Yes, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 439October 21, 2023 4:41 AM

[quote] don't think it's unreasonable to state that his singing voice is not right for the role based on the way he has sounded in NEXT TO NORMAL, the LES MISERABLES movie, GREASE on TV, MOULIN ROUGE, etc.

They can change the music to fit his voice.

by Anonymousreply 440October 21, 2023 7:11 AM

[quote] They can change the music to fit his voice.

Over my dead body! Oh, wait…

by Anonymousreply 441October 21, 2023 8:45 AM

Norm played Sweeney in the off-Broadway production in 2017, after playing the role in 1999 at Signature Theatre. He was fine, and i wouldn’t mind seeing him do it another time. Carolee Carmello was fantastic.

Having seen the show in a dozen or so productions. I think Sweeney is a harder role to do extremely well. A great Sweeney also makes less of an impact on the overall production than you would think. But it matters less than the Mrs. Lovett casting. When she is not funny or is grating or can’t shift to the dramatic moments, the show sinks.

So, ridiculous as it seems to cast Tveit, the more disastrous casting idea would be Sutton or Chenoweth. Tveit is vocally wrong, but so was Michael Cerveris.

If they are just looking to wind down, Norm Lewis and Carolee Carmello would be great.

by Anonymousreply 442October 21, 2023 8:46 AM

[quote]Tveit is vocally wrong, but so was Michael Cerveris.

I don't fully agree there. Cerveris does have more a tenor-ish timbre than one might consider ideal for Sweeney, but he also has great intensity in his singing -- something that the very bland Tveit lacks.

by Anonymousreply 443October 21, 2023 10:17 AM

The reason everyone thinks it’s Audra or Sutton is because someone who claims to be an insider wrote in Broadwayworld that Lovett would

1) make the theatre people very happy

2) is a Sondheim vet who has never done Sondheim on Broadway.

Sutton did into the woods at the Hollywood Bowl and anyone can whistle at encores

Audra did all those Sondheim shows at Ravinia as well as the beggar woman in Sweeney with the NY Phil.

-so they both fit the bill.

by Anonymousreply 444October 21, 2023 11:36 AM

If you want to get people in the seats, give them what they want - the most newsworthy people out thee right now... Taylor Swift and Gym Jordan!

by Anonymousreply 445October 21, 2023 12:11 PM

Norm Lewis did Sweeney at the Kennedy Center for the Sondheim Festival. He was boring. I think Lovett is way out of Audra's comfort zone. But she would sell tickets, as would Foster. Lewis and Cerveris would not.

by Anonymousreply 446October 21, 2023 12:58 PM

Audra couldn't GIVE AWAY tickets to her most recent Broadway ventures -- OHIO STATE MURDERS and FRANKIE & JOHNNY.

by Anonymousreply 447October 21, 2023 1:10 PM

Norm Lewis did not play Sweeney at the Kennedy Center, Brian Stokes Mitchell did. Audra would bring something unique and fierce to Mrs. Lovett, but I don’t see her cancelling her concerts and doing this.

by Anonymousreply 448October 21, 2023 1:12 PM

R446, Tveit would break box office records.

by Anonymousreply 449October 21, 2023 1:46 PM

I like blue light.

by Anonymousreply 450October 21, 2023 2:00 PM

Wrong thread!

by Anonymousreply 451October 21, 2023 2:02 PM

Whatever happened to that Jersey Boys with Nick Jonas?

by Anonymousreply 452October 21, 2023 2:30 PM

Time to hit the shack, Joey.

by Anonymousreply 453October 21, 2023 2:34 PM

Lovett also has to be funny!! Is Audra ever funny?

by Anonymousreply 454October 21, 2023 3:35 PM

Taron Egerton and Audra would make a lovely Sweeney and Lovett.

by Anonymousreply 455October 21, 2023 3:58 PM

With Will Swenson as the Beadle.

by Anonymousreply 456October 21, 2023 4:01 PM

I’m sure they will not hire anyone who has done either role in a prominent production. No Norm, no Carolee, no Stokes. And whomever they go with, it’s fun to speculate, who may have turned them down first

by Anonymousreply 457October 21, 2023 4:38 PM

I hope its Sutton. She's best when she's a clown.

by Anonymousreply 458October 21, 2023 4:46 PM

Shudder. I tried to keep an open mind for Music Manic, but she was awful. Lovett has to convince you in Not While I’m Around that she would actually kill a child. I’m not seeing it work with Sutton, just like I couldn’t imagine her successfully singing My White Knight or Till There Was You.

by Anonymousreply 459October 21, 2023 4:51 PM

[quote]Norm Lewis did not play Sweeney at the Kennedy Center, Brian Stokes Mitchell did.

Correct, Norm played the role briefly as a replacement in the "pie shop" production of SWEENEY that was done at the Barrow Street Theatre. He was very good in it.

[quote]Audra couldn't GIVE AWAY tickets to her most recent Broadway ventures -- OHIO STATE MURDERS and FRANKIE & JOHNNY.

There is general agreement that Audra sells lots of tickets when she's in a musical but NOT when she's in a straight play. Unfortunately, the other thing is that when she IS in a musical, she tends to miss lots of performances. And I can only imagine her track record would be as spotty as ever in SWEENEY, because Lovett is not an easy sing.

by Anonymousreply 460October 21, 2023 4:58 PM

It can’t be Sutton for Mrs. Lovett. She’s already booked for Once Upon a Mattress at Encores, at exactly the time she’d be rehearsing/performing Sweeney.

by Anonymousreply 461October 21, 2023 5:04 PM

[quote] I couldn’t imagine her successfully singing My White Knight or Till There Was You.

She stank to high heaven.

by Anonymousreply 462October 21, 2023 5:06 PM

Whatever happened to Sing Street?

by Anonymousreply 463October 21, 2023 5:23 PM

Another fun choice might be Emma Thompson reprising the role. With the SAG strike, it might be a real coup to get her.

by Anonymousreply 464October 21, 2023 5:40 PM

Baby Hughie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465October 21, 2023 5:46 PM

I find Emma fantastically twee. Twee is whimsy without wit. It's mimsy-mumsy sweetness without any kind of bite. And that's not for me.

by Anonymousreply 466October 21, 2023 5:47 PM

Didn’t Sandra Bernhard do a spoof of Jennifer Holiday playing Mrs. Lovett in her stand-up act? Oh, wait, It may have been Steven Brinberg on a tangent in his Simply Barbra show.

by Anonymousreply 467October 21, 2023 5:59 PM

R466, you should have signed your post as Audrey Hepburn :-)

R467, Steven Brinberg has imitated Lena Horne as Mrs. Lovett, but I don't believe he's done his version of JH in the role.

by Anonymousreply 468October 21, 2023 6:03 PM

R461, Sutton would pull out of Mattress if Sweeney was offered.

by Anonymousreply 469October 21, 2023 6:13 PM

How about Lypsinka for Mrs. Lovett using Angela's original cast album.

by Anonymousreply 470October 21, 2023 6:19 PM

R469, I pulled out of Sutton regularly.

by Anonymousreply 471October 21, 2023 6:21 PM

Sutton would be despised if she pulled out of MATRESS. Not by me, but by City Center.

by Anonymousreply 472October 21, 2023 7:54 PM

[quote]Sutton would be despised if she pulled out of MATRESS. Not by me, but by City Center.

Get Carol to do it...again.

by Anonymousreply 473October 21, 2023 8:03 PM

Thanks, R468, that’s definitely what I was thinking of. It was really funny.

“Wait, what’s ya rush, what’s the hurry, ya gave me such a…skehhhyahhh!”

by Anonymousreply 474October 21, 2023 8:10 PM

Harvey and Rosie together again. Matthew and Nathan together again.

Seriously how I wish Leslie Kritzer weren’t doing Spamalot. How I wish Marin Mazzie weren’t dead.

by Anonymousreply 475October 21, 2023 8:19 PM

[quote]Norm Lewis did not play Sweeney at the Kennedy Center, Brian Stokes Mitchell did.

Opposite Christine Baranski, who knows how to be funny.

by Anonymousreply 476October 21, 2023 9:15 PM

Does anything that Sutton or Aaron would replace someone?

by Anonymousreply 477October 21, 2023 9:28 PM

Swallowing one's pride can pay off in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 478October 21, 2023 9:31 PM

Tony winner Dorothy Loudon replaced Angela in the original Sweeney. For a great part, you do it.

by Anonymousreply 479October 21, 2023 9:41 PM

Sutton's an established star, r477. It isn't any different than Ethel doing Dolly. It isn't going to turn her into Lenora or Jana or Maureen.

by Anonymousreply 480October 21, 2023 9:44 PM

Of course, r479, when would she get another chance to do it on Broadway?

Bernadette got to add Desiree and Dolly to her Broadway resume and she didn't have to play them for a lengthy period.

by Anonymousreply 481October 21, 2023 9:46 PM

R476, Baranski knows how to be funny, but not at the Kennedy Center. She was very intimidated by the role and Sondheim was around rehearsals. A female friend in the show said she was constantly going over the lyrics backstage and in the bathroom. Unfortunately, the performance seemed mannered and a little mechanical, though it was fine. Less said about her Mame in the same theater, the better.

There was a moment where she really connected to the lyrics in the performance I saw. I think it was in By The Sea. You could see it threw her off, and she bombed the next lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 482October 21, 2023 9:47 PM

I have never understood the love for Christine Baranski except sometimes in some supporting roles. Very one note.

And didn't she do Sweeney at the KC with Kelsey Grammer, not Norm?

by Anonymousreply 483October 21, 2023 10:12 PM

Sutton is what modern theater folk might consider to be a " star." But, she's in the bottom 5% of true Broadway stars.

by Anonymousreply 484October 21, 2023 10:12 PM

Does Baranski have a good singing voice?

by Anonymousreply 485October 21, 2023 10:15 PM

[quote]And didn't she do Sweeney at the KC with Kelsey Grammer, not Norm.

As previously noted, it was with Brian Stokes Mitchell, who, unlike Kelsey Grammer, can actually sing.

by Anonymousreply 486October 21, 2023 10:16 PM

Nooooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 487October 21, 2023 10:17 PM

[quote]Does Baranski have a good singing voice?

Judge for yourself, although the audio quality isn't great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488October 21, 2023 10:22 PM

She’s kinda whack…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489October 21, 2023 10:31 PM

Also, r485...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490October 21, 2023 10:40 PM

Wasn't there a revival of FLOYD COLLINS announced? I know one previously announced last year at Out Of The Box was canceled but I thought another one was in the works since then.

by Anonymousreply 491October 21, 2023 10:49 PM

Ill tells ya who would see tickets.

A reunion of Idina Menzel and Tate Diggs,

by Anonymousreply 492October 21, 2023 10:50 PM

[quote]A reunion of Idina Menzel and Tate Diggs,

I Do, I Do! ?

by Anonymousreply 493October 21, 2023 10:55 PM

R492 THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG!

by Anonymousreply 494October 21, 2023 10:56 PM

MAME!

by Anonymousreply 495October 21, 2023 10:58 PM

OnlyFans, only for their fans!

by Anonymousreply 496October 21, 2023 10:59 PM

[quote]A reunion of Idina Menzel and Tate Diggs,

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 497October 21, 2023 11:14 PM

R497. Geez. Sharon Tate.

by Anonymousreply 498October 21, 2023 11:27 PM

Idina and Taye ... in a musical version of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

by Anonymousreply 499October 21, 2023 11:37 PM

[quote]Idina and Taye ... in a musical version of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Or a gender-reversed "No Strings."

by Anonymousreply 500October 21, 2023 11:43 PM

Baranski did it with Fraser somewhere else. It’s on YouTube but I don’t feel like looking for it.

by Anonymousreply 501October 21, 2023 11:43 PM

I’d rather not, if you don’t mind… my eyes!

by Anonymousreply 502October 21, 2023 11:48 PM

What did Baranski do with Fraser?

by Anonymousreply 503October 21, 2023 11:49 PM

Baranski doesn't sound too bad in that clip above. I just remember her as forgettable. But seeing her do I'm Still Here in Follies at Encores was painful. She sounded awful and couldn't hit some of the notes, and it's not that hard a song.

by Anonymousreply 504October 21, 2023 11:51 PM

Baranski and Grammer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505October 21, 2023 11:51 PM

Watching r505, you can get a good idea how Sutton would perform it...

by Anonymousreply 506October 21, 2023 11:57 PM

r505, that was downright painful. Not your fault, of course.

by Anonymousreply 507October 22, 2023 12:10 AM

How about this Lady Macbethian interpretation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508October 22, 2023 12:16 AM

Or This?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509October 22, 2023 12:18 AM

Does anyone know if John Cullum ever played Sweeney anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 510October 22, 2023 12:22 AM

I’d pay another $600+ to see Staunton or Lea Salonga. To be honest, I’d go to see Sutton but only by myself and wearing an N-95.

by Anonymousreply 511October 22, 2023 12:23 AM

This land, don’t belong to Virginia, my sons bleed, but not for the south. This land here is Anderson land by the strength of my hand and the sweat of my brow, for as long as the Lord will allow.

by Anonymousreply 512October 22, 2023 12:24 AM

I could be wrong, but wasn't John Cullum first up for Sweeney?

by Anonymousreply 513October 22, 2023 12:43 AM

I want to hear Lea's "The Worst Lumpia in London."

by Anonymousreply 514October 22, 2023 12:49 AM

Imagine Cullum's Sweeney opposite Barbara Harris' Lovett.

by Anonymousreply 515October 22, 2023 12:57 AM

Freedom, r512...

by Anonymousreply 516October 22, 2023 12:59 AM

Slay, r515.

by Anonymousreply 517October 22, 2023 12:59 AM

Preach R515

by Anonymousreply 518October 22, 2023 1:01 AM

I saw Lea Salonga do Mrs. Lovett in OLD FRIENDS in London a few weeks ago. She was fantastic, funny and powerful.

The entire show was wonderful, a real surprise, as we just grabbed 1/2 tix that afternoon out of lack of anything better to see. Boy, were were we happy! Though I'd seen the televised version last year, seeing it all live was highly emotional, a real appreciation of the genius that was Sondheim. I understand sales have been disappointing, which is a shame, but I get it, as I had not initially been especially interested. If you're in London I highly recommend it!

by Anonymousreply 519October 22, 2023 2:22 AM

Baranski is 71. Those examples of her singing were decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 520October 22, 2023 2:25 AM

I would like to see an all Muppet Sweeney Todd. Miss piggy obviously as Mrs. Lovett maybe Oscar as Sweeney and Kermit as Anthony. Perhaps Grover as Tobias

by Anonymousreply 521October 22, 2023 2:33 AM

You have to include one human actor, r521. It’s muppet law.

by Anonymousreply 522October 22, 2023 2:47 AM

Holy shit, Baranski was so bad in that clip, she actually made Grammer go off-key.

by Anonymousreply 523October 22, 2023 2:47 AM

[quote] I would like to see an all Muppet Sweeney Todd. Miss piggy obviously as Mrs. Lovett maybe Oscar as Sweeney and Kermit as Anthony. Perhaps Grover as Tobias

You're mixing Muppets and Sesame Street, which they tend to keep separate.

by Anonymousreply 524October 22, 2023 2:49 AM

[quote]Miss piggy obviously as Mrs. Lovett

Someone already suggested Beanie

by Anonymousreply 525October 22, 2023 2:52 AM

I actually like(d) the sound of Baranski's voice in its lower and middle registers; she never figured out how to handle higher-lying stuff.

The Encores! FOLLIES was fascinating, because in all of her dialogue she was superb -- underplaying to wonderful effect -- but the song was too much for her vocally. (Yvonne de Carlo had a wide compass, which the song exploited perfectly.) Amusingly enough, she got the part after Cybill Shepherd turned it down; Shepherd was never much of an actress, but she might well have hit the notes a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 526October 22, 2023 2:57 AM

Please can someone get them to bring Toni Collette in for Mrs. Lovett? I'd fly to NYC to see that and pay top dollar for tickets

by Anonymousreply 527October 22, 2023 3:00 AM

[quote]Someone already suggested Beanie

Then who would Cecil play?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528October 22, 2023 3:03 AM

r524 you’re fun

by Anonymousreply 529October 22, 2023 3:39 AM

Toby, R528.

by Anonymousreply 530October 22, 2023 3:39 AM

Saw Stereophonic at Playwrights Horizons and loved it.

3 hours long but really well done, loved the music and the performances were great.

Could be tedious if you’re not into music/albums.

by Anonymousreply 531October 22, 2023 4:41 AM

It seems that Imelda Staunton decided she couldn't be bothered to think about a look for Mrs. Lovett. "I'll just do my hair and makeup the way I always do."

And apparently Michael Ball's Sweeney ate well, all those years he was transported for life.

by Anonymousreply 532October 22, 2023 8:07 AM

Robert Klein and Lucie Arnaz!

by Anonymousreply 533October 22, 2023 9:29 AM

The Ball/Staunton production of Sweeney Todd was excellent - gorgeous set and staging. Johanna and Anthony were quite bland, but that's the only bad thing I can say about it.

by Anonymousreply 534October 22, 2023 9:37 AM

I’m glad other people are saying the same things about Baranski. She is WORSHIPPED in the industry but I don’t find her singing pleasant. It’s interesting that Sondheim ripped Betty Buckley and Patti LuPone to shreds at regular intervals…but by all accounts was happy with Christine.

by Anonymousreply 535October 22, 2023 11:49 AM

Baranski’s Mame was unimpressive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536October 22, 2023 11:58 AM

I discovered Christine Baranski.

by Anonymousreply 537October 22, 2023 12:15 PM

R531 I was at last night's performance. It was long and stuffed with tropes, but I was never bored. I had zero understanding of what goes on in a recording studio, and loved seeing all the drama and creative process around crafting an album. Gorgeous set and sound design.

by Anonymousreply 538October 22, 2023 1:17 PM

For the Toni Collette fans, is your adoration for her musical comedy talent all based on seeing her in THE WILD PARTY? Or are there are other projects I'm forgetting? Obviously, I know she's a great film actress but where does all this confidence in her musical chops come from?

by Anonymousreply 539October 22, 2023 1:44 PM

I’m one of the fans. I loved her in Muriel’s Wedding, but had zero expectations going into The Wild Party. From the opening number, you couldn’t take your eyes off of her. She also sounded great. She did a not very great guilty pleasure movie playing a dinner theater star paired with Nia Vardalos called Connie and Carla.

I don’t love her on film as much, but I would pay nearly anything to see her onstage again.

by Anonymousreply 540October 22, 2023 2:08 PM

How are things downtown at Santino Fontana Wholesale?

by Anonymousreply 541October 22, 2023 3:09 PM

[quote]all based on seeing her in THE WILD PARTY?

She really was *that* good.

by Anonymousreply 542October 22, 2023 3:13 PM

DL fave Tonya Pinkins wrote in that Nothing Like a Dame book that Toni wasn’t a good enough theatre actress and was the reason Wild Party closed early.

by Anonymousreply 543October 22, 2023 3:26 PM

Wow r543. I don’t have the book. Can you tell us the actual comment? That’s amazing.

by Anonymousreply 544October 22, 2023 3:34 PM

[quote]DL fave Tonya Pinkins wrote in that Nothing Like a Dame book that Toni wasn’t a good enough theatre actress and was the reason Wild Party closed early.

Consider the source. Everyone but Tonya knows that was NOT the reason, or even among the reasons.

by Anonymousreply 545October 22, 2023 3:35 PM

Tonya Pinkins gave another of my favorite performances in a musical in Caroline or Change, but that quote (if correct) is bullshit.

Wild Party was dark and in your face. Collette flashed her tits in the opening number, Mandy Patinkin’s first entrance was in blackface, and Marc Kurdish raped a teenage girl in a song. As someone said in the lobby on the way out, it wasn’t Guys and Dolls. It also wasn’t selling.

by Anonymousreply 546October 22, 2023 3:36 PM

Is Janis Paige in STEREOPHONIC?

by Anonymousreply 547October 22, 2023 3:52 PM

R547, I love you :-)

by Anonymousreply 548October 22, 2023 4:01 PM

R547. Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 549October 22, 2023 4:07 PM

[quote] Collette flashed her tits in the opening number

Only for a few performances in previews.

But, yes, I agree. The Wild Party was dark and in your face.

by Anonymousreply 550October 22, 2023 4:15 PM

R550, I'm pretty sure I saw THE WILD PARTY after the opening, and Collette flashed her breasts in that performance.

by Anonymousreply 551October 22, 2023 4:30 PM

Toni was no Raquel...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552October 22, 2023 4:32 PM

The "commercial" for MY SON IS QUEER is on Facebook, It looks horrifying - the "son" is shown as a succession of drag Disney princesses.

by Anonymousreply 553October 22, 2023 5:04 PM

It's an unpopular take, but I much preferred the Andrew Lippa WILD PARTY with Julia Murney, Taye Diggs and Brian D'Arcy James. I did love Collette but it seemed like everyone was straining to be soooo provocative/sexy/jaded whereas the other one at least had characters that were a bit more human. I'm not sophisticated in my music tastes and I also liked that score better. It was weird to see the same story told twice in one season.

by Anonymousreply 554October 22, 2023 5:17 PM

The main thing I can't stand about the Lippa WILD PARTY is that almost every song is written in a different style, so the score is not cohesive at all in that way. Whatever criticisms may be leveled against LaChiusa's score for the other version, this one does not apply.

by Anonymousreply 555October 22, 2023 5:28 PM

The Lippa Wild Party was the better one. Too bad they were blackballed by the press. David Kaufman, the critic at The Daily News, lost his job over his favorable review.

by Anonymousreply 556October 22, 2023 5:29 PM

Did Collette actually do screen tests for the film versions of Chicago and Sweeney Todd or did it never reach that point?

If Scott Rudin was producing Sweeney Todd I bet he could have convinced Collette to be the repkacement. She owes him forvgetting her on the remake of Shaft after he sabotaged Jennifer Esposito on Day 1 by triggering a nervous breakdown over a very ugly wig,

by Anonymousreply 557October 22, 2023 5:29 PM

[quote]It was weird to see the same story told twice in one season.

Why did they both keep the same title?

by Anonymousreply 558October 22, 2023 5:29 PM

I wonder what alternative titles might have been used for THE WILD PARTY? Maybe QUEENIE AND BURRS? Maybe WELCOME TO MY PARTY for the LaChiusa? Neither one great titles.

by Anonymousreply 559October 22, 2023 5:33 PM

They could have called it Follies! (The other definition!)

by Anonymousreply 560October 22, 2023 5:38 PM

They called them The Wild Party for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 561October 22, 2023 5:55 PM

I'm sorry, I know this is heresy and all about my ignorance and unworthiness to live, but the Sweeney Todd stuff... Sondheim can be fucking incomprehensible to the undevoted. There, I said it. Flaying starts now.

by Anonymousreply 562October 22, 2023 5:56 PM

[quote]Sondheim can be fucking incomprehensible to the undevoted.

That can be said of many brilliant artists.

by Anonymousreply 563October 22, 2023 5:59 PM

Boy are you sorry on this thread!

by Anonymousreply 564October 22, 2023 6:13 PM

But are you grateful?

by Anonymousreply 565October 22, 2023 6:16 PM

[quote]I'm sorry, I know this is heresy and all about my ignorance and unworthiness to live, but the Sweeney Todd stuff... Sondheim can be fucking incomprehensible to the undevoted. There, I said it. Flaying starts now.

No, Sondheim can be "incomprehensible" to the ignorant, especially if they have no desire to grow in their appreciation of art. Sondheim's music and lyrics are complex in comparison to the relatively simple work of Jerry Herman, for example. But there's nothing "incomprehensible" about it for people who want to expand their artistic horizons beyond the basic and are willing to work just a little harder in paying more attention and also listening to some of Sondheim's more complex songs multiple times, rather than expecting to have full comprehension and appreciation after only one or two hearings. I think it's fair to say that SWEENEY TODD is generally considered a masterpiece -- and also, perhaps unexpectedly, it's one of Sondheim's most popular shows -- so rather than seeming to be proud of your negative feelings about the show, I think you should be ashamed of them. Now I leave it to others to continue the flaying, which you probably enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 566October 22, 2023 6:43 PM

r566 stop helping

by Anonymousreply 567October 22, 2023 6:49 PM

You are why they hate us

by Anonymousreply 568October 22, 2023 6:50 PM

I said you’d be sorry!!

by Anonymousreply 569October 22, 2023 7:00 PM

Speaking of Jerry Herman...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570October 22, 2023 7:17 PM

[quote]so rather than seeming to be proud of your negative feelings about the show, I think you should be ashamed of them.

Oh, fuck me! LOL. I now couldn't feel less worse. MARY!

by Anonymousreply 571October 22, 2023 7:27 PM

I can't believe someone actually took the bait.

by Anonymousreply 572October 22, 2023 7:34 PM

Well, it's a cheap seat at a cheap opera, but we sure got a high C.

by Anonymousreply 573October 22, 2023 7:35 PM

Operetta, in fairness.

by Anonymousreply 574October 22, 2023 7:36 PM

C– at best

by Anonymousreply 575October 22, 2023 8:15 PM

Did everyone giggle when the producers of MILK AND HONEY (was David Merrick involved?) tried to pass of that show poster of their 3 stars?

by Anonymousreply 576October 22, 2023 8:16 PM

Theatergoers knew who the stars were, r576.

by Anonymousreply 577October 22, 2023 8:27 PM

Of course, they did, r577. They still coulda giggled.

Sorry you couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 578October 22, 2023 8:43 PM

Niether WILD PARTY worked. I preferred the LaCuissa one, mainly because at least it was atmospheric. But they both missed the point, by making Queenie the lead based on the first line of the poem being about her. But Black is the protagonist (and the only really likable character.) It's his story, being pulled into it all and leading to his downfall.

by Anonymousreply 579October 22, 2023 8:44 PM

One more week left of The Cottage, and Will Swenson in A Beautiful Noise. Four more weeks scheduled for Jaja's African Hair Braiding, The Shark is Broken and Melissa Etheridge: My Window.

by Anonymousreply 580October 22, 2023 9:07 PM

That's crazy. It feels like JaJa just opened and that The Cottage has been around for months. I still cannot fathom who had the deep enough pockets to keep that turd running.

by Anonymousreply 581October 22, 2023 9:09 PM

[quote]Oh, fuck me! LOL. I now couldn't feel less worse. MARY!

Not surprising. You seem very happy and confident in your stupidity and ignorance. Also, your comment was meant to irk people and cause strong disagreement -- and then, when you get that response, you double down. Have fun with yourself in your bubble of ignorance. I'm guessing you're the number-one fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber -- but only the stupid, lousy ones, from CATS on.

P.S. I really don't want to fuck you. REALLY.

by Anonymousreply 582October 22, 2023 9:12 PM

[quote]Also, your comment was meant to irk people and cause strong disagreement

So you decided to give that poster exactly what they wanted, then? The only one looking stupid here is you.

by Anonymousreply 583October 22, 2023 9:34 PM

[quote]If Scott Rudin was producing Sweeney Todd I bet he could have convinced Collette to be the repkacement. She owes him forvgetting her on the remake of Shaft

Toni Collette was in the remake of Shaft?

by Anonymousreply 584October 22, 2023 10:15 PM

[quote]So you decided to give that poster exactly what they wanted, then? The only one looking stupid here is you.

I fail to see why that makes me look "stupid." I didn't want to let that other person's ignorant opinion stand without a rebuttal, whatever their motivation. But I suspect you and that person are birds of a feather, so I understand why your perspective is so warped.

by Anonymousreply 585October 22, 2023 10:25 PM

[quote]I fail to see why that makes me look "stupid."

Yah, that'd be part of what makes you look stupid. Well, I say 'look'...

by Anonymousreply 586October 22, 2023 10:28 PM

Toni Collette's singing voice also sounded great in the little-seen CONNIE AND CARLA, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 587October 22, 2023 10:34 PM

R586, if you feel that way about my posts, please let us know whether you agree with the other poster's statement that SWEENEY TODD and some of Sondheim's other works are "incomprehensible." And if not, please STFU.

by Anonymousreply 588October 22, 2023 10:42 PM

You think *you* bitches have it bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589October 22, 2023 11:18 PM

r588 You're actually tripling down? Just a quick review, you admit that you knew that poster said that just to get a rise out of people and yet you still replied, and now you're trying to get me to feed that troll too? It's no wonder DL has become infested with trolls when there are posters like you willing to give them exactly what they want.

by Anonymousreply 590October 22, 2023 11:38 PM

R590, I can honestly understand why you feel it's a bad idea to "feed a troll" -- for example, arguing with someone (as I did) who stated that much of Sondheim's work is "incomprehensible," but I don't necessarily agree, and I don't see what's so awful about me posting ONE comment in argument against that post. That probably would have been the end of it if you hadn't felt it necessary to insult me for responding.

by Anonymousreply 591October 23, 2023 12:04 AM

Has anyone started the new thread?

by Anonymousreply 592October 23, 2023 12:11 AM

New thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593October 23, 2023 12:14 AM

But not before…

BAJOUR!

by Anonymousreply 594October 23, 2023 12:23 AM

STARMITES!

by Anonymousreply 595October 23, 2023 12:23 AM

[quote]I wonder what alternative titles might have been used for THE WILD PARTY? Maybe QUEENIE AND BURRS? Maybe WELCOME TO MY PARTY for the LaChiusa? Neither one great titles.

As Richard Rodgers told Mary when she said that "Once Upon a Mattress" wasn't a hit title: "A hit title is a title of a hit."

by Anonymousreply 596October 23, 2023 12:25 AM

DANCE A LITTLE CLOSER!

by Anonymousreply 597October 23, 2023 12:57 AM

PRETTYBELLE!

by Anonymousreply 598October 23, 2023 12:57 AM

NICK AND NORA!

by Anonymousreply 599October 23, 2023 12:57 AM

SUFFS!

by Anonymousreply 600October 23, 2023 12:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!