Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Long-distance running: the most fucked-up (and grossest) mainstream hobby in existence

Runner's diarrhea, herniated spinal discs, bloody nipples, runner's toe (black toenails that loosen and eventually fall off), literal DNA damage

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2023 3:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2023 5:38 AM

OP BMI 66

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2023 5:38 AM

R2 go wash the diarrhea off your legs

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2023 5:39 AM

Why do the nipples bleed?

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2023 5:01 PM

The people behind shitty guy in OP's pic lmao

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2023 5:02 PM

Scat thread

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2023 5:05 PM

Runners seldom look healthy and they age terribly.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2023 5:10 PM

[quote]Why do the nipples bleed?

They chafe against the fabric of the shirt.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2023 5:26 PM

My dentist used to lecture people about the need to run, he was irritating and obnoxious. He was hit by a car and decades later his chubby, sedentary patients are still alive and he's worm food.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2023 5:35 PM

The shit guy is named Mikael Ekvall. According to him, he KNEW that he had shit himself (and everyone could see it), but continued running because he "didn't want to lose time" (he came in at 21st place).

The minute I read that was the moment I realized just how fucking insane runners are.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2023 5:35 PM

Hardcore runners lose all their facial fat and look like AIDS patients circa 1985

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2023 5:51 PM

Um, I’m late 50s and have always looked young for my age.

I’ve been a runner since early teens.

And my resting heart rate has been around 39-42 bpm most of my adult life. Recently had my first cardiac stress test and they were amazed.

That’s the benefit of running. Knock it all you like.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2023 5:54 PM

An ongoing topic of discussion on datalounge. Horrible people who rudely believe the world revolves around their obsession. Body builders are less troublesome than these freaks.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2023 5:59 PM

R12 marathons?

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2023 6:03 PM

Having had to endure runners in the workplace, it was the only time I felt like being surrounded by cult members. They couldn’t sway me into running but it was all they ever discussed. That “runners high” must be better than sex. Too bad their joints are fucked and their faces look like melted cheese now.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2023 6:13 PM

Guy at r1 is an idiot. This is why you don’t run in cotton. It soaks up moisture and does not wick it away like technical fabrics and merino wool.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2023 6:19 PM

One of my best friends is an avid runner. He’s in his 30’s but is so emaciated, he could pass for 50’s. The worst thing is, he’s consumed by running and now his diet…to the point he can rarely talk about anything else.

Several years ago he was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2023 6:27 PM

"avid runner"" code for obnoxious troll

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2023 6:54 PM

The sun also does a real number on you. It's a trade off. Some runners may have good heartbeats but they also likely have joint and muscle damage.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2023 6:58 PM

Leave the guy in OP's picture alone!!!

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2023 6:59 PM

Avid runners are lousy in bed.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2023 7:00 PM

A relevant video about an ultramarathon whose participants run around the same block in Queens a couple of thousand times over several weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2023 7:01 PM

[quote]Why do the nipples bleed?

Because they can't cry.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2023 7:14 PM

That's hot.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2023 7:31 PM

Enjoy your inevitable knee replacement surgeries!

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2023 7:57 PM

Like Veganism, fasting... just another form of anorexia.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2023 8:16 PM

No. Not a marathoner. I don’t get the thrills of it.

(And, especially after a certain age, it exacta a toll on the knees.)

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2023 8:30 PM

I used to run short distances, 10 to 15 miles a week, and at age 35 something went wrong with my knee. Nobody ever told me just what was wrong -- it wasn't bad except when I tried to run, then it was excruciating -- and by the time they sent me to physical therapy, it was pretty much back to normal. I saw the physical therapist just once and he practically begged me to stop running. "I see the negative effects of it every day," he told me.

I haven't run since.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2023 8:51 PM

Ran a lot in my 30s. All that pounding screwed up my back, feet and knees. I only walk and use the elliptical now and I kind of miss running. I can’t stand the gym.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2023 8:56 PM

r29 buy a Street Strider. They are awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2023 9:04 PM

R30 interesting. I’ll look into it.

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2023 9:05 PM

You’ve got to have good shoes… the right shoes. After 40, I needed lots of cushioning. Also had to scale back my mileage because of recurring knee issues,

But I’ve learned what my knees can/can’t handle so now run within that.

It really is good for heart strength.

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2023 10:19 PM

Madonna used to be an avid runner. Now she can barely walk across the stage.

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2023 10:26 PM

Waiting for the Prancercise video posted in 3,2,1…

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2023 11:22 PM

I posted this in an old thread on douchey runners; worth retelling:

I was never athletic, but I ran cross country in high school and the first two years of college (Division III). I was awful but it was nice to be on a team and I finished every race.

One experience I had during a college meet encapsulates douchey runners for me. I, naturally, had fallen behind the pack during the race. I was running past the parking lot and passed one of the coaches from another school. He was OP's stereotypical "runner" and dressed for the part.

As I passed him, he looked at me (I was a few pounds overweight -- MAYBE ten -- but not a fat whore yet) and very dramatically shook his head. The look of contempt on his face was palpable. Was my form off? Was he judging my weight? My speed? Who knows. But I'll never forget his expression of smug superiority.

I was clearly struggling and not as fast as the other runners, but for fuck's sake, I was doing the best I could.

That single experience really turned me off to the world of running.

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2023 11:32 PM

That guy was disgusting, R35. Shame on him.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2023 11:35 PM

R35, that guy could have been thinking anything. Maybe he thought it was great that you were participating, but was pissed the other runners weren’t waiting at the finish. Or he was thinking, “I KNEW they should have marked the route better in case there were stragglers.” Or maybe your form was really bad or you were wearing the wrong shoes and he was angry that your coach wasn’t doing more to protect you from injury. Or he could have been judging you. You were the one who was there, but sometimes when we are feeling self conscious we are quick to assume the worst.

I attended a division III school and I was a good athlete, but by division III standards. My team was just Ok and we had several walk ons. None of them ever got very good and at least a few were downright unathletic. But it was never an issue.

It’s like the gym. Nobody is ever judging the fat person. Sometimes I see someone who is so unbelievably awkward that I feel for them a little, but I still admire them for being there. Plus, I’m one of the fat people at the gym now.

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2023 11:54 PM

Runners always look insane to me. I guess as long as you put on running clothes and shoes you can get away with flailing half-naked down the street. And why always on main streets at rush hour? Not only is it unhealthy to inhale all those exhaust fumes, but it's more dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2023 6:13 AM

Running can become an obsession. But when done with the right equipment (sneakers) and not excessively, it’s good for health. I stopped some time ago because of the wear and tear on my knees. I use the elliptical in the gym and I do lots of collateral strengthening for my knees, all designed to keep me skiing and playing tennis which I love much more than I ever enjoyed running.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2023 7:12 AM

So obnoxious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2023 8:20 AM

It might help to understand that running can be great for mental health. Being outside, pushing yourself… kind of hard to explain.

I’ve dealt with depression a couple extended periods and it was life-saving.

Also, I was able to work through work and personal problems in my head while running. Hard to explain exactly why… something about being about to physically push yourself translates into confidence in problem-solving or something.

Can’t tell you how much stuff I worked through… and anxieties and I got while running.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2023 10:17 AM

I prefer a nice stroll.

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2023 10:57 AM

Walking provides much the same benefits as running without the wear and tear on the body.

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2023 2:42 PM

I would agree that violent exercise can definitely help with depression but I think going to the YMCA and swimming could do it for you as well.

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2023 3:00 PM

How are your joints, R12? Any cartilage left?

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2023 3:06 PM

I used to run a lot and it was phenomenal for my mood. Sure, swimming can do the same thing but it’s not always that easy to find a place to swim and if you have to share a lane with more than one other person it can be difficult . It’s also more time consuming and involved because you have to travel to a pool and then change, then shower and dress there. If you are female with long hair, add even more time. And the pool water is even worse for your hair if it’s color treated or straightened. With running you can (usually) just walk out your front door and go).

So if you are male (or a short haired female who doesn’t cover her hair), retired, and in a warm climate with plenty of pool space available, sure. Otherwise swimming isn’t a slam dunk.

by Anonymousreply 46September 17, 2023 3:17 PM

My joints are fine. Had a period of knee trouble a decade or so ago but all is good. But I don’t do insane distances anymore.

The mental benefits of walking are good but not near the level of running. I think it’s the endorphin rush.

I’ve worked through creative campaigns while running, figured out how to navigate thorny work and personal issues, etc. I recall once when I was going through tremendous stress related to a charity whose board I chaired, I would take the calls with our attorney while running because I was in the zone in those moments, my mind incredibly sharp.

I swear, it unlocked creativity like nothing else. My biggest career creative accomplishments were mostly mapped out while running.

by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2023 3:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!