Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

In praise of Tootsie Rolls and other maligned candies

I like Tootsie Rolls! They’re good. I know many hate them. I especially like Tootsie Pops.

What “unpopular” or hated candies do you like, DL?

by Anonymousreply 108September 16, 2023 2:30 PM

They are horrible for your teeth. Do you have any left OP?

I can't go without brushing my teeth, flossing and using my water pick after eating anything. Albeit, cum and an very occasional ass.

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2023 5:46 PM

Candy Corn

Come for me...

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2023 5:47 PM

R1 yes, I have all my teeth. LOL. I brush and water floss 2x a day. I don't chomp down hard on the Tootsie pops until they melt down a lot.

R2 I like Candy Corn but like Candy pumpkins even more. Why, I can't say - maybe they seem softer?

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2023 5:49 PM

I also love candy corn.

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2023 5:51 PM

I've always loved Tootsie Rolls. All the different sizes of them.

I like candy corn, don't love it. I wouldn't spend money on it but if somebody offered me some I'd take. Same with those pumpkins.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2023 5:53 PM

I don’t like Tootsie Pops but I love tootsie rolls and the fruit tootsie rolls, too. I live about a half hour from Winco, and they sell all varieties in bulk bins. They even have Tootsie Rolls Sours (not that sour but more flavors for the array). I stop in and buy some when I’m near Winco.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2023 5:54 PM

I've never met anyone who actively disliked Tootsie Rolls, OP.

From my childhood experience, they're just as popular as Snickers, Reese's, etc.

Is this something you've noticed just in your own family?

Me and my relatives are the only people I've ever known who enjoy black licorice (partial Baltoscandinavian background).

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2023 5:56 PM

Not just black licorice, but marzipan and cordial cherries too.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2023 5:59 PM

R7 - we do candy handouts for employee events (HR) and the tootsie rolls (not fruit variety) are usually the last to go. This is with hard candies and chocolates mixed in, too. I don't get it. They also don't seem to like lollipops, like Dum Dums, Tootsie Pops with the exception of the ones from Sees. No one seems to like black licorice/jelly beans or NECCO wafers.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2023 5:59 PM

It seems someone has already bought and consumed Halloween candy

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2023 5:59 PM

[quote]From my childhood experience, they're just as popular as Snickers, Reese's, etc.

How many decades ago was this "childhood experience?"

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2023 5:59 PM

Tootsie Rolls aren't unpopular or maligned.

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2023 6:00 PM

[quote] I like Tootsie Rolls!

Thank you! Secret: I never tucked it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2023 6:02 PM

Mary Janes, sugar daddies. Both horrible for your teeth.

Haven’t eaten them in years

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2023 6:03 PM

Tootsie Rolls look like turds.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2023 6:04 PM

STEALTH SCAT TROLL 🚨

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2023 6:14 PM

I don't any kind of "kid" candy. All of it gets stuck in your teeth. I do like kitkats, peanut butter cups and very good dark chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2023 6:17 PM

I always loved the fruit flavored tootsie rolls (especially 🍒), as well as the regular chocolate ones. I am 60 and have a much too large investment in dental caps and crowns to eat them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2023 6:17 PM

A lot of times Tootsie Rolls are stale and that makes them hard as a rock. That could be why people avoid them.

I also love Bit O'Honey - which have the same issue.

by Anonymousreply 19September 13, 2023 6:18 PM

R11 born in 1991, so roughly 2.

R9 I understand the lollipops not being popular in an adult workplace setting because of the time it takes to eat them, but the Tootsie Roll thing is interesting. if you didn't mention the fruit-flavored ones still being popular, I would've theorized that maybe it had something to do with teeth (as R1 already mentioned).

I once knew a lady who told me she used to love Riesens and Bit-O-Honey when she was younger, but was cautious about enjoying them in her middle age because she had VERY old (70's era) fillings/dental work. Not sure if her concern was valid or not, but it's what she told me.

by Anonymousreply 20September 13, 2023 6:19 PM

🎶 The world looksh mighty good to me / 'Cush Tootshie Rollsh are all I shee. / Whatever it ish I think I shee / becomesh a Tootshie Roll to me! 🎶

by Anonymousreply 21September 13, 2023 6:20 PM

Candy Spelling

by Anonymousreply 22September 13, 2023 6:28 PM

I hate Tootsie rolls but mice seem to like them. A friend swore that he used them as bait on a mouse trap — and the mouse has a go at every time. Death!!

by Anonymousreply 23September 13, 2023 6:57 PM

Sen-Sen. Sadly discontinued and the factory closed.

by Anonymousreply 24September 13, 2023 7:12 PM

I feel super trashy eating them but I like Smarties (the U.S. version.) Chalky sugar discs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2023 7:35 PM

So this is where SSI money is going to some nitwit with no life.

by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2023 7:38 PM

It's one of life biggest mysterious: How can Tootsie rolls suck beyond repair, while Tootsie pops are a small slice of heaven?

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2023 7:40 PM

Oh, her concern was valid, R20.

A crown is thousands of dollars, to say nothing of implants, for which they’ll tell you they need a bone graft, etc. A few root canals and crowns is an easy $10,000.

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2023 7:42 PM

[quote] Not just black licorice, but marzipan and cordial cherries too.

When I was growing up I was the only one in my family who liked cordial cherries. My dad usually received a couple of boxes from his employer and my grandmother used to give us a box. I was the only one who ate them.

by Anonymousreply 29September 13, 2023 8:23 PM

R7 / R29 I like cordial cherries, black licorice and marzipan too. I come from a Danish family so maybe that's why. Black licorice, cherries/red fruits and almond flavoring are common.

by Anonymousreply 30September 13, 2023 8:26 PM

Another vote for candy corn. I only ever eat them around Halloween. There's just something about the sickeningly sweetness of it that appeals to me. I just buy one bag at Halooween.

I also love those (are they called circus peanuts)? The jumbo marshmallowesque orange monstrosities that are made to looke like peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 31September 13, 2023 8:30 PM

I have always loved chilled cordial cherries. I could go for some right now.

Chocolate licorice is also a favorite treat.

I haven’t eaten candy corn in many years after having problems with crowns two years in a row.

by Anonymousreply 32September 13, 2023 8:31 PM

Not necessarily maligned, but I like the Almond Snickers bars, and buy them at the airport in case I get hungry on the plane.

I love Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, too.

I can’t have sweets like these because I don’t have a shutoff valve and I can overdo it if I let myself. Toblerone is another guilty pleasure.I could buy a kilogram version of one at the Duty Free shop at the airport and then gnaw through it like a wood chipper. It’s so good.

by Anonymousreply 33September 13, 2023 8:37 PM

Thesr

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 13, 2023 8:37 PM

I can't really think of ANY candy I don't like, with the possible exception of ones that are too sour or have a fruit flavor I don't like (e.g., apple or watermelon.)

by Anonymousreply 35September 13, 2023 8:39 PM

[quote] When I was growing up I was the only one in my family who liked cordial cherries.

There was a poster, in another thread, asking about cordial cherries and which ones to buy. I wish I could remember which ones we had when I was young. I think they can be good, especially if you're a kid. They taste like liquor and you feel like it's an adult thing to be eating them.

by Anonymousreply 36September 13, 2023 8:42 PM

I love Tootsie Rolls and hadn’t had one in a couple of years. Sadly, the quality has deteriorated.

by Anonymousreply 37September 13, 2023 8:49 PM

Sugar Babies? Not sure if they're maligned, but I like them. Good with popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 38September 13, 2023 8:50 PM

I love orange slices. Love them. I never buy them because the bag will be empty in ten minutes.

My sisters have made fun of me for this my entire life.

by Anonymousreply 39September 13, 2023 8:51 PM

I like Mary Janes and NECCO Wafers. Many here can't stand either.

by Anonymousreply 40September 13, 2023 8:53 PM

Ribbon Candy. It is piss elegant yet grandmotherly and tacky too. Sometimes dangerous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 13, 2023 8:57 PM

I don’t know how long these have been around but a new obsession for me is Lindor Truffles.

I can’t wait to try their salted caramels truffles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 13, 2023 8:58 PM

I always thought that peanut brittle was some kind of old people's candy and why would you want to eat that.

However ... I visited a friend and asked her what she wanted me to bring her. She said See's peanut brittle, so I bought a box (package?) and brought some to her. She opened up the box, right away, and started eating it. I said, "Give me some of that ... let me taste." OMG. It was really good. Buttery and good texture.

by Anonymousreply 43September 13, 2023 8:58 PM

Did you misunderstand the criteria, R42? Nobody in most of the world maligns Lindt candies.

by Anonymousreply 44September 13, 2023 8:58 PM

I don't like *any* maligned candies, OP. There's a reason they're maligned.

by Anonymousreply 45September 13, 2023 9:02 PM

Darn it R44. I thought there would be more for me.

Whatevs.

by Anonymousreply 46September 13, 2023 9:05 PM

I used to teach at an hbcu, and I learned there that black people really hate candy corn.

by Anonymousreply 47September 13, 2023 9:08 PM

Oh, hell I like almost all of them. Tootsie Rolls, the pops, chocolate cherry cordials, candy corn, black licorice, NECCO wafers (especially chocolate), SenSen, Mary Janes, and Sugar Babies. I haven’t had any of them in decades, but wouldn’t turn them down.

But no marzipan.

by Anonymousreply 48September 13, 2023 9:10 PM

The commercial song is a classic. These poor kids are completely obsessed with Tootsie Rolls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 13, 2023 9:17 PM

I like little marzipan Christmas candies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 13, 2023 9:19 PM

R48 is it the texture or flavor of marzipan that you don't like?

by Anonymousreply 51September 13, 2023 9:29 PM

It’s the flavor of the marzipan or at least what I recall the flavor is. To be fair it has been ages since I’ve tasted any marzipan.

by Anonymousreply 52September 13, 2023 9:34 PM

Do people dislike Jujubes? I like those.

by Anonymousreply 53September 13, 2023 9:40 PM

Niederegger marzipan is delicious with the bitter chocolate. But just have a small piece with coffee and or Asbach.

by Anonymousreply 54September 13, 2023 9:48 PM

Anything gummy, fruity, and chewy tends to be maligned. Somehow, though gummy bears and Skittles / Starburst get a pass.

Examples of disliked / possible maligned candies: Jujyfruits, Good & Plenty.

IMO, gummy bears are meh. I don't understand the hype.

by Anonymousreply 55September 13, 2023 10:23 PM

Someone must like Good & Plenty besides myself. They've been on the market for elebentyzillion years.

by Anonymousreply 56September 13, 2023 10:29 PM

I don’t hate candy corn. It’s ok once a year.

I like marzipan and cherry cordials, although I haven’t had either in years.

Jujyfruits, Dots, and non-pareils are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 57September 13, 2023 10:39 PM

I like Good & Plenty. But I’m not a licorice fan. I don’t like plain licorice.

by Anonymousreply 58September 13, 2023 10:39 PM

I used to love chocolate everything. It was a major part of my food intake. Suddenly about 6 months ago I completely lost my taste for it. I can't even imagine eating it now. Now I'll eat a Payday bar if I see one around.

by Anonymousreply 59September 13, 2023 10:54 PM

I’ll eat a Tootsie Roll despite the bigger one’s resembling dog turds.

by Anonymousreply 60September 13, 2023 10:54 PM

I dislike and will completely skip Tootsie Rolls. Their not-quite chocolate flavor reminds me of German chocolate cake, which seems like watered-down chocolate.

I do, however, like Tootsie Pops, especially the orange ones.

Hershey Kisses are only acceptable in peanut butter blossom cookies.

For maligned candy, I like Werther’s Originals and Brach’s peppermints. I also love the chewy peppermints with a Christmas tree in the middle.

Brach’s had two great candies I don’t believe they make anymore — the butterscotch discs and gum balls covered in a translucent red candy coating. Some other company makes discs that never get smooth like the Brach’s versions did. I haven’t seen any facsimiles of the gum balls.

by Anonymousreply 61September 13, 2023 11:03 PM

Mary Janes

by Anonymousreply 62September 13, 2023 11:14 PM

^My grandmother always had them as well as ribbon candy and a tiny replica black coal bin with harsh black licorice. Her dad was a coalminer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 13, 2023 11:18 PM

I like those Brach's butterscotch discs. Call me Grandma. I like them.

by Anonymousreply 64September 13, 2023 11:32 PM

I liked the Brach's jelly nougats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 13, 2023 11:37 PM

I love black licorice and I also like circus peanuts in small doses.

I can't forgive Tootsie Rolls for being chocolate-looking and slightly chocolate-flavored but not actually being chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 66September 13, 2023 11:39 PM

Candy Corn

Smarties

Mary Janes

Pixie Stixs

Fun Dip

And Tootsie Rolls of course!

Unfortunately, after thousands of dollars in dental work, I don’t dare eat any of them.

by Anonymousreply 67September 13, 2023 11:40 PM

I love many of the maligned candies, including tootsie rolls, candy corn, circus peanuts, and those Goetze bullseye caramels with sugar in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 68September 13, 2023 11:41 PM

My favorite Tootsie Rolls are the big ones that kind of look like a cigar.

by Anonymousreply 69September 13, 2023 11:42 PM

I love candy corn, and I will not apologize for this.

by Anonymousreply 70September 13, 2023 11:42 PM

Oh, Brach's, R61! Their Pick-a-Mix was always fun. I grew to love those white nougat-y ones with the bits of jelly candy suspended in them. I even looked them up the other week, but it turns out that, like most good things from my childhood, they've gone away.

by Anonymousreply 71September 13, 2023 11:46 PM

OMG!, DOTS. I forgot about them.

by Anonymousreply 72September 13, 2023 11:46 PM

Do they still make Sugar Daddies? (The kind on a stick, not the kind that supports your hedonistic lifestyle in exchange for sex.)

by Anonymousreply 73September 13, 2023 11:48 PM

R73 excuse me!

by Anonymousreply 74September 13, 2023 11:50 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 13, 2023 11:51 PM

Oh, and Chunky. The trapezoid of chocolate chock full of raisins and toenails (what my younger brother thought coconut flakes were) and other unexpected surprises. I don't think anybody ever handed them out for Trick or Treat.

by Anonymousreply 76September 13, 2023 11:56 PM

I liked those Brach's (?) caramel roll candies that looked like jelly rolls from the sides. I think they're officially called "Milk Maid Royals."

by Anonymousreply 77September 14, 2023 12:06 AM

R56, I do!

They're in my top five.

by Anonymousreply 78September 14, 2023 12:35 AM

Where's everybody on Jolly Joes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 14, 2023 1:37 AM

Jolly Joe was DPed by Mike and Ike.

by Anonymousreply 80September 14, 2023 1:55 AM

I used to store a Tootsie Roll in the glove box and put it on the dash of my car whenever Shriners and Elks Club beggers showed up at stop lights.

by Anonymousreply 81September 14, 2023 2:05 AM

The best candy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 14, 2023 2:11 AM

How many licks does it take…

by Anonymousreply 83September 14, 2023 2:19 AM

I was diagnosed with heart problems a few years ago and my doctor told me not eat two things- grapefruit and licorice. They mess up the efficacy of the medication I was prescribed. Kinda strange.

by Anonymousreply 84September 14, 2023 2:24 AM

Heed the warning...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 14, 2023 2:27 AM

I guess they do indeed still make Sugar Daddies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 14, 2023 2:30 AM

I liked Black Cows but not Slo-Pokes.

by Anonymousreply 87September 14, 2023 2:51 AM

I love black licorice - it is my favorite candy. When I'm on a road trip I will always buy a cheap drugstore branded bag of both spearmint leaves and cinnamon bears - I love spice drops as well.

by Anonymousreply 88September 14, 2023 2:56 AM

You live on the edge, r88.

by Anonymousreply 89September 14, 2023 2:58 AM

That's why I limit it to road trips, R89

by Anonymousreply 90September 14, 2023 3:06 AM

Black Crows are now called Crows. I loved jujubes because they would last forever. They make dark chocolate cherry cordials now, very good.

by Anonymousreply 91September 14, 2023 3:30 AM

I used to like to take a small green (lime) Tootsie Roll, stretch it out a bit, stick one end in my nose and the other end in my mouth.

Then I'd walk into a room with it covered in a Kleenex, pretend to sneeze, remove the Kleenex, and watch the horrific reaction of people who thought it was an actual huge green booger dripping into my mouth from my nose.

Or sometimes I'd forgo the whole sneeze/Kleenex charade and just walk in licking the end that was in my mouth.

Hilarious! If grossing people out with food is wrong, I don't want to be right!

by Anonymousreply 92September 14, 2023 3:42 AM

Doesn't everyone love a Big Hunk?

by Anonymousreply 93September 14, 2023 11:43 AM

R9 your company gives candy to employees? Is that instead of paying them a living salary?

by Anonymousreply 94September 14, 2023 11:58 AM

[quote]Doesn't everyone love a Big Hunk?

Oh Henry!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 14, 2023 3:44 PM

Necco wafers, satellite wafers and “salty” Finnish licorice.

by Anonymousreply 96September 14, 2023 4:14 PM

R94 it's for events like charity drives, sign-ups, promoting a new service line or what not. Not in lieu of salary, although some may want to endorse their whole paycheck to Sees.

by Anonymousreply 97September 14, 2023 4:29 PM

Coffee Nips were a staple in our house growing up, and I love them to this day, though I probably haven't had one in decades. I'm not even sure if they make them anymore, but I'm the only person I know who likes them.

by Anonymousreply 98September 14, 2023 6:07 PM

Here you go, R98.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 14, 2023 6:54 PM

Maple Nut Goodies - I have always liked them.

I didn't like cherry cordials much as a child but I like them now. Probably wouldn't buy them. But I would still buy Maple Nut Goodies.

by Anonymousreply 100September 14, 2023 7:41 PM

r100 Are you talking about the Brach's Maple Nut Goodies or the Pearsons Nut Goodies-Maple? I was reading a book where the heroine was addicted to the latter and I started craving them even though I've never seen one in my life.

by Anonymousreply 101September 14, 2023 8:32 PM

Are Lemonheads maligned? They were my favorite candy at the theater when I was young, the perfect balance of sweet and sour. I also loved cinnamon imperials, though they were more for baked goods.

by Anonymousreply 102September 14, 2023 8:45 PM

Lemonheads could cut my tender young virginal tongue.

by Anonymousreply 103September 14, 2023 8:46 PM

Good news [R98]! Not only do they still make Coffee Nips, they’ve expanded to different flavors! Chocolate, caramel and butter rum. The butter rum are my favorites.

My mom adored Coffee Nips. When she died in 2019 I found an unopened box in her pantry. That box sits way in the back of my pantry. I can’t bring myself to throw them out.

by Anonymousreply 104September 14, 2023 9:06 PM

R98 Add me to the list of people who like the Nips candies. I love the chocolate parfait and butter rum ones. They are so hard on dental work, though.

by Anonymousreply 105September 14, 2023 9:13 PM

All hard fruit flavored candy tastes like chemicals these days.

by Anonymousreply 106September 15, 2023 1:38 AM

[quote]Coffee Nips were a staple in our house growing up

They're on the shelf next to the Sugar Tits at this Jew candy store that I go to.

by Anonymousreply 107September 16, 2023 12:02 PM

Marcy Seppellick used to suck dick behind the jew candy store…

by Anonymousreply 108September 16, 2023 2:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!