Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sandra Bernhard's ex manager claims actress cheated charities with 'phony invoices' to bump up her fees

Comic and actress Sandra Bernhard has been sued by her former long-term manager, who has accused her of cheating charities with phony invoices, DailyMail.com can exclusively reveal.

James Sliman, who worked with the ‘difficult’ star for nearly 11 years, alleges in a lawsuit filed in Kings County, New York, she forced him into doing ‘many unscrupulous, questionable and embarrassing things’ as part of a ‘hostile’ work environment.

He alleges Bernhard – who claimed she and Madonna were lovers when they were both guests on Late Night with David Letterman – cheated venues out of their cut of merchandising sales at her live performances and sent ‘phony invoices’ to bump up her interview fees, according to a New York court filing obtained by DailyMail.com.

The showbiz management veteran said he was fired by the 68-year-old star of FX drama POSE in July after she ‘could not admit that her live shows were now selling poorly and her asking fees were too high’.

‘Heartbroken’ Sliman – who has told DailyMail.com Bernhard used him as shoulder to cry on during their long business relationship – is demanding $250,000 for an alleged breach of a verbal contract, wrongful termination and commissions and fees he says he is owed.

Of the financial allegations, he tells the court: ‘In dozens of instances, maybe hundreds, Miss Bernhard coerced me into sending phony invoices from her to charity organizations, LGBT charity organizations, television shows, documentary filmmakers etc.. who wanted to interview her.

‘Whether or not she was already being paid a fee, she would insist I get them to also cover costs of her hair and make-up people.

‘When they agreed, she would tell me to say it cost $1,000 when it was really only $2-300.

‘I would send the invoices and she would pocket the money. This at times actually became a small way she could supplement her income. This from a woman who everyone knows is a multi-millionaire.’

He continues: ‘She has various ways of trying not to pay venues 20 percent of her merchandise sales, which is standard.

‘She would simply refuse to pay it, or tell them they could only have 10 percent or just lie about how much she sold. Since it was cash only, this was very easy for her. And she would tell me she never reported that money to her accountants.

‘This behavior at times caused major issues with specific venues. Then I would have to step in and smooth it over.

‘She has repeatedly coerced me into her money making schemes, so she can literally pocket as little as a couple hundred dollars or thousands,’ Sliman claimed at the top of his legal complaint filed to Kings County Superior Court in Brooklyn on July 21.

by Anonymousreply 66April 4, 2024 1:28 AM

Why did he continue to work for her if she's so grifty? Now we have to hear about it when they are both old has beens? SHAT UP, cunt!

by Anonymousreply 1August 30, 2023 6:57 PM

[quote]This at times actually became a small way she could supplement her income. This from a woman who everyone knows is a multi-millionaire.’

She can't be worth millions and millions.

by Anonymousreply 2August 30, 2023 7:04 PM

Leave that poor ugly woman alone, you evil greedy queen!

by Anonymousreply 3August 30, 2023 7:06 PM

[quote]Why did he continue to work for her if she's so grifty? Now we have to hear about it when they are both old has beens?

Right? He was obviously happy to do it at the time. Now it looks like he needs money. Assuming it's true, neither of them are coming out of it looking good.

by Anonymousreply 4August 30, 2023 7:08 PM

She had to support herself and a kid in NYC I doubt she's rolling in it so who cares if she charged charities 1000 bucks for a hair and makeup for appearances. Bigger stars all charge HUGE fees and expenses.

by Anonymousreply 5August 30, 2023 7:08 PM

He’s butt hurt after being fired and now trying to bring her down to the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 6August 30, 2023 7:12 PM

Of course he went along with it and now that’s it’s over he needs money

by Anonymousreply 7August 30, 2023 7:15 PM

Buck never would have cheated charities with phony invoices to bump up his fees.

by Anonymousreply 8August 30, 2023 7:48 PM

This is a NON story. You know what an appearance fee costs? What ever the fuck i tell you it costs. It can be $1, $5000, $500,000. If the charities didn't want to pay they certainly could have opted out. How much money/pr did the appearance raise for the organization? I'm sure they got an ROI. Stop fucking whining.

by Anonymousreply 9August 30, 2023 8:49 PM

This guy is pathetic. If a client asks you to do something unethical, you say no.

You don’t got along with it time and again then, when the client dumps you, blame them that you went along with it. He’s saying, “I’ve been acting unethically for ages, but she made me do it.” Weak sauce.

This isn’t like an employer-employee relationship, where people sometimes lose their jobs for not going along with shit.

by Anonymousreply 10August 30, 2023 8:54 PM

I was a big Sandra-stan back in the glory days of WITHOUT YOU I'M NOTHING and her Letterman guest spots. But she never, ever developed much further as a talent and now I find her unfunny and tiresome.

I'm also inclined to believe the ex-manager. I don't think Bernhard has any scruples about defrauding charities to line her own pockets. It's especially galling that she's picking on LGBT charities, given that she's hardly been in the foreground for queer/lesbian identity--she's jumped on the bandwagon when and if it suited her.

Fuck her. She's basically Teflon anyway, as the accusations of racism seem not to have cost her a dime.

by Anonymousreply 11August 30, 2023 9:08 PM

It’s possible she did these things.

But again, if true, the manager went long with them.

So this is about her firing him and both re in the wrong.

He sucks in both scenarios.

by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2023 9:19 PM

This sounds like something most live performers engage in.

by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2023 9:26 PM

[quote] ‘Heartbroken’ Sliman – who has told DailyMail.com Bernhard used him as shoulder to cry on during their long business relationship – is demanding $250,000 for an alleged breach of a verbal contract,

He also never got a written contract with SB - says they had a "verbal contract." Then says he was "coerced" into these scams. Sounds stupid and desperate.

It's possible that he and Sandra grifted together, but who would believe him in court?

by Anonymousreply 14August 30, 2023 9:38 PM

He's bitter and trying to drag her down with him. If she is that grifty she sure hasn't been in the press much for it, before now. I'm actually impressed at the grift, if she is. She did a lot with her looks and talent.

by Anonymousreply 15August 30, 2023 9:46 PM

There's nothing nice about this woman.

by Anonymousreply 16August 30, 2023 9:59 PM

He used the word "literally" - he deserves nothing.

by Anonymousreply 17August 30, 2023 10:11 PM

I've always been a fan but like another poster wrote, her routine is old and played out now. But, she is also 68, so it's understandable.

I've never heard a word about her being charitable, so this story doesn't surprise me much.

by Anonymousreply 18August 30, 2023 10:28 PM

But aren't the majority of charities at their essence big businesses. Look at United Way / The Red Cross - only a small fraction of what is donated actually gets allocated to helping. Advertising, administration and payroll eat up the majority of the dollars. Susan Komen Breast Cancer is another feckless organization - spending a ton of money suing anyone who uses "for the cure" - fuck these people.

by Anonymousreply 19August 30, 2023 10:39 PM

I'm sure lots of celebrities do the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 20August 30, 2023 10:45 PM

Celebrities tend to use charities. I used to see it in LA. They show up to walk the red carpet and say how passionate they are about breast cancer/war vets/the mentally challenged, and then they exit out back. No check is written. At the very least, they are often (not always… there are exceptions) mostly in it for the good press.

I bet as many of them can get away with getting the charities to cover any of their expenses , they are doing it, and likely taking advantage.

And in fairness to Sandra, she’s having to invest in fancy outfits for these events.

My partner did a story on Sharon Stone’s involvement with AMFAR. She was getting AMFAR to pay for first class tickets for her and her sister and I guess coach for her makeup person. Then she demanded to be put up at the Four Seasons in a fancy suite for like five days so they could go shopping… her sister and the makeup artist getting less spacious accommodations at the same hotel. (Some of the AMFAR people secretly hated her.)

Sharon was seen in the press as this selfless fighter against AIDS. And some might argue her involvement benefited the org beyond what she cost them… but I think it’s terrible to take advantage like that. If I was passionate about the charity’s work, I’d have insisted on paying my own way… that’s why I’m not in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 21August 30, 2023 10:52 PM

Well, just because it's a common abuse doesn't make it less creepy. If these charges are true, it's disappointing and we need to hear more stories about people such as Sharon Stone, not less. These people are always asking us to contribute to causes.

by Anonymousreply 22August 30, 2023 11:57 PM

Atta girl! Do me proud, sista!

by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2023 12:05 AM

Oh Sandy honey, we're gonna need to break out the Rémy Martin and put on Billy Paul singing "Me and Mrs. Jones."

by Anonymousreply 24August 31, 2023 12:22 AM

Shit R23 beat me.

Miss Warwick has a PHD in this shit.

by Anonymousreply 25August 31, 2023 12:36 AM

This lawyer should speak with Michael Cohen.

by Anonymousreply 26August 31, 2023 12:47 AM

[quote] that’s why I’m not in Hollywood.

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 27August 31, 2023 12:51 AM

Not surprised. Greedy Jewess.

by Anonymousreply 28August 31, 2023 4:04 AM

Please die, R28.

by Anonymousreply 29August 31, 2023 3:04 PM

I worked w her once. A deeply unpleasant experience. Whether that’s standard or just an especially bad day I cannot say.

by Anonymousreply 30August 31, 2023 3:21 PM

She seems to be very careful with money, she lives a lot better than her meager ticket sales would allow.

by Anonymousreply 31August 31, 2023 7:23 PM

R28 die in a grease fire you bigoted cunt

by Anonymousreply 32August 31, 2023 7:30 PM

I thought the headline said Sandra Bullock!

by Anonymousreply 33August 31, 2023 7:57 PM

“Listen, you piece of shit! You’re MY manager and I’ll have you run this SHIT however the fuck I want! I am ENTITLED to that money. Everyone does this!”

by Anonymousreply 34August 31, 2023 7:58 PM

Sandy can’t even sellout tiny venues in NYC anymore. She’s rolling off of the fumes of some embarrassing information she probably has on higher ups and her friendship with that cunt Andy Cohen. Her career is over, retire already!

by Anonymousreply 35August 31, 2023 9:15 PM

Hi Madge/r35!

by Anonymousreply 36August 31, 2023 9:28 PM

R36 Hi, Sandra!

by Anonymousreply 37August 31, 2023 9:30 PM

[quote]“Listen, you piece of shit! You’re MY manager and I’ll have you run this SHIT however the fuck I want! I am ENTITLED to that money. Everyone does this!”

TESTIFY!

That's right, Girlie. They work for YOU.

by Anonymousreply 38August 31, 2023 9:38 PM

More trash…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 18, 2023 1:09 PM

I like Sandy. She’s a cunt, but I like her.

Notice they had to name check a decades-old appearance with Madge on Letterman to make the article Googleicious.

Meanwhile, everyone knows Sandra ate out Madonna during the summer of ‘86 (aka Summer of Cut Off Shorts)

by Anonymousreply 40November 18, 2023 1:15 PM

R40 *Summer of ‘88

by Anonymousreply 41November 18, 2023 1:17 PM

No, r19. It’s not a “small fraction” that gets used for charitable work. It’s about 90%. Charities are audited.

by Anonymousreply 42November 18, 2023 1:18 PM

Donald Trump used to show up at charity events without making any donation.

by Anonymousreply 43November 18, 2023 1:19 PM

Guess he doesn’t expect to attract any new clients.

by Anonymousreply 44November 18, 2023 1:29 PM

I think the things he’s accusing her of here (his word) are probably true of most big public figures, not to mention politicians (hello!) He comes across like a bitter crabby queen trying to tear her down. I’m sure she has an ego and is demanding. Welcome to show biz baby!

She’s got the talent to back it up. I’ll admit as a big fan, her work has been spotty since her 80’s/90’s heyday (you could say that about many artists), but I’ll always love her. When she’s good, she’s a mind-blowing scream.

by Anonymousreply 45November 18, 2023 1:34 PM

Ugh, this again.

by Anonymousreply 46November 18, 2023 1:46 PM

[quote] cheated charities with 'phony invoices' to bump up her fees

A bitch needs to be paid.

by Anonymousreply 47November 18, 2023 1:52 PM

Apart from that phony friendship with Madge and a stint on Roseanne, what else has she done?

by Anonymousreply 48November 18, 2023 2:09 PM

Is her ex manager also a Jew?

by Anonymousreply 49November 18, 2023 2:10 PM

Also R43 Donnie and Ivana usually showed uninvited.

by Anonymousreply 50November 18, 2023 2:41 PM

I forgot Sandra has a daughter. She looks like someone I would have been friends with in college.

by Anonymousreply 51November 18, 2023 4:02 PM

Trash or not (or truthful), that interview was loaded with DIRT. I was on the edge of my seat!

by Anonymousreply 52November 18, 2023 4:40 PM

[quote]r9 If the charities didn't want to pay they certainly could have opted out.

But they’ve agreed to a fee, not deceptively padded expenses. Or less on their end due to hidden profits from merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 53November 18, 2023 4:44 PM

Sandy, stop with the fillers and Botox*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 3, 2024 7:08 AM

Toady and Toad

by Anonymousreply 55April 3, 2024 7:35 AM

[quote] Meanwhile, everyone knows Sandra ate out Madonna during the summer of ‘86 (aka Summer of Cut Off Shorts)

Lucky Sandy. That would have been the best era to do so

by Anonymousreply 56April 3, 2024 7:45 AM

Do we have to know everything? As terrible as it sounds, I sometimes miss the days when everyone didn’t have a “voice.” As we see most people use theirs just to tear people down.

by Anonymousreply 57April 3, 2024 7:49 AM

I wish I hadn't read that interview at R39. Yikes. Oh well. We're all very old now. No illusions.

by Anonymousreply 58April 3, 2024 8:01 AM

The last time I saw her live was in a theater that was mostly empty, and she rehashed her old material. She was still pretty funny (tickets weren’t very much, so I didn’t feel ripped off), and she and her good band did a cover of Eres Tu to close the show. I hope she isn’t really as miserable and cheap as he says; what a crappy attitude if true. Come back to the 5 & Dime, Sandra Bernhard, Sandra Bernhard.

by Anonymousreply 59April 3, 2024 8:17 AM

R5, you're fine with her ripping off LGBT charities?

Weird that people are making him out to be the bad guy when she's the one ripping people off

Just because you're a fan of hers, doesn't mean he's in the wrong.

by Anonymousreply 60April 3, 2024 8:22 AM

R60 I have no problem with it. The woman had to make money somehow and the gays were the only ones hiring her. Didn't she have a falling out with David Letterman? Anyway, I just remember identifying with her when on WWHL she admitted to doing the exact same thing I do at Whole Foods - grind up whatever coffee beans you want then charge yourself for the cheapest French Roast. We actually went to the same Whole Foods at the time - 7th ave and 24th St. in NYC. I think she lives in Chelsea or around there.

by Anonymousreply 61April 3, 2024 4:04 PM

[quote] I'm sure they got an ROI.

What?

by Anonymousreply 62April 3, 2024 4:18 PM

return on investment

by Anonymousreply 63April 3, 2024 4:51 PM

R61 I prefer to just put the cheap stuff in the name brand box.

by Anonymousreply 64April 3, 2024 5:09 PM

[quote] the exact same thing I do at Whole Foods - grind up whatever coffee beans you want then charge yourself for the cheapest French Roast.

Why Richard, it profit a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. . . but for Whole Foods coffee beans!

by Anonymousreply 65April 3, 2024 6:15 PM

Phony invoices, eh?!

by Anonymousreply 66April 4, 2024 1:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!