Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Schindler's List

30th Anniversary this year. Probably Stephen Spielberg's best film. It won Best Picture and Best Director at the 1994 Oscars and Ralph Fiennes really should have won Best Supporting Actor over Martin Landau.

Let us celebrate the epic and unforgettable Schindler's List.

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2023 11:38 PM

Has Ralph Fiennes ever looked hotter? Good lord

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2023 10:25 PM

Tommy Lee Jones beat him. Egregious.

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2023 10:28 PM

Great make out flick

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2023 10:28 PM

R1, his character was so repugnant and evil, he looked hideous to me..

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2023 10:40 PM

Snippets of so many characters and stories but the wealthy couple who lost everything and end up in the ghetto are the most memorable for me. When we first see them they're very elegant and, obviously, wealthy. And angry. The next time they're on screen the wealth and anger are gone and they've seemingly accepted what's happening to them. They pop up every once in a while and are in the factory when it's liberated so they survived.

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2023 10:51 PM

R2 Jones is a fine actor and surely deserved to get an Oscar for something (maybe In the Valley of Elah? though hard to beat DDL’s huge performance in There Will Be Blood that year) but, I agree, his performance in The Fugitive felt like a way to honor a well-regarded actor in one of the most popular movies of the year, a film which wasn’t going to figure in most of the other big categories). Fuentes did the unthinkable—make an absolutely horrifying character also sex on a stick at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2023 11:02 PM

R2 whoops sorry

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2023 11:03 PM

The part where he forces the guy to make a hinge and then tries to kill him but his gun keeps jamming. The fact he keeps trying to fire the gun and each time the man flinches thinking he is going to die while trying to explain why there are so few hinges made that morning. An incredible scene.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2023 11:08 PM

The scene with this young female engineer who tries to warn the camp nazis that the building they are building for themselves will collapse . Ralph Feinnes character shoots her execution style and then orders the construction crew to heed her instructions. I will never forget her last words before he shot her.. “ it will take more than this.”

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2023 11:10 PM

So many harrowing scenes in that film.

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2023 11:38 PM

Spielberg couldn’t help himself, there are maudlin Spielbergian moments even in this film

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2023 11:43 PM

Yup, R11. See the girl in the red coat. Horrid scene especially in the context of the rest of the film.

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2023 11:47 PM

Spielberg practically had a nervous breakdown filming this movie . It was SO personal and painful for him.

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2023 11:51 PM

Hell, I almost had a nervous breakdown watching it for the first time. The film was flawless IMO. And the score the songs were haunting..... this was one time I didn't mind the maudlin Spielbergian moments. LOL! Every actor stepped up, and I loved the ending when the survivors and their f amilies placed stones on Oscar's grave.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2023 12:39 AM

[quote] LOL!

LoL! :)

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2023 12:40 AM

I've always felt it is one of the best films ever made.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2023 12:46 AM

R16, me too . It’s just not a movie you can watch with frequency like other classics. It’s heavy and heartbreaking

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2023 12:48 AM

Never saw

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2023 12:52 AM

Schindler's List, Forrest Gump, Titanic, Speed, Jurassic Park. Never wanted to see any of these blockbusters.

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2023 12:57 AM

Schindler's List and Jurassic Park were released within 6 months of each other. Spielberg was a workaholic back then.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2023 12:59 AM

I did see Showgirls and hated it, thought it wretched even back then. But on the small screen Showgirl makes sense. It's just a soap opera for straight white men.Beautiful neon colors reproduce well on a smart TV.

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2023 1:10 AM

Close Encounters is the only Spielberg film I can watch. I even hate Jaws. And E.T.

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2023 1:12 AM

I watched this on YouTube and it had me howling. Tom Cruise. Voguing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2023 1:18 AM

R8 That was such a German move, the multiple officers turning their attention to the guns that wouldn't fire, and possibilities as to why, it had an almost absurd quality that was unexpected, IMO, in that film.

Truly great performances, all around.

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2023 1:48 AM

R1

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2023 2:07 AM

Probably one of the greatest films ever made that I havent seen and probably wont because I would just find it too distressing to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2023 1:50 PM

R26 if you have never seen it, the first viewing will be very distressing. When it first came out it took me a while to watch it. It felt like something I "should" see but I had to mentally prepare for it. I'm glad I did it. I have watched it several times since and it remains very powerful. Spielberg clearly did his research and probably read transcripts and interviewed survivors. The scenes when the soldiers were dumping out the suitcases, and then later, another scene where the Nazis have piles of clothes and objects, and teeth, and they're sorting things, really really got to me. I thought the pacing was excellent. IMO it was one of the rare times the director didn't try to manipulate the audience, he just told the story and it seemed very organic. Yes, at the end when Schindler is getting ready to flee, it gets maudlin, but in an odd way I find the experience of watching Schindler's List very rewarding. Especially in times like these, we need to remember what human beings are capable of, once their government permits it as part of public policy.

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2023 3:02 PM

R26, I understand. I haven't watched [italic]Twelve Years a Slave[/italic] and some Holocaust movies because I just get hit so hard by good movies that show real horrors.

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2023 9:26 PM

[Quote] Never saw

dig her . . .

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2023 9:32 PM

R28, yes, 12 Years A Slave is hard to watch. The scenes with Lupita Nyong'o were really wrenching.

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2023 9:33 PM

The end of Schindler’s list ruined it for me. The scene where he starts talking about how he could have done more. It was too over the top. It was like an SNL parody tacked on to a serious film.

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2023 9:38 PM

And the placing of stones by victims at the end.

(rolls eyes)

by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2023 9:57 PM

R31 and R32, yes, I thought it was maudlin when Oscar started crying, but I also felt it was honest. ANd I was very moved by the ritual of placing the stones on the grave. It also satisfied amy questions about what happened to the survivors.

by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2023 10:00 PM

Figures this thread would be bumped on a Friday night by DL misanthropes.

by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2023 11:22 PM

In reality Schindler's life was a disaster after the war. He ended up pretty destitute and had to rely on the financial support of some of the Jewish families he helped save.

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2023 11:22 PM

[quote] Figures this thread would be bumped on a Friday night by DL misanthropes.

And right on cue you bumped it an hour after the last post.

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2023 11:27 PM

R36 0/10

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2023 11:31 PM

If anything the film wasnt realistic enough. It was still a magnificent film. For some closure here are some Einsatzgruppen getting hung in Kiev after the war. Its disturbing even though its the worst of the worst so dont watch if it might trigger you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2023 11:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!