Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, Season 2: part 2

This is more like it!

by Anonymousreply 132September 23, 2023 2:14 PM

LINK to the first thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2023 3:23 AM

If they've already done a crossover and a musical episode, what will they have left for next season?

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2023 4:11 AM

Hopefully r2, less of the cutesy wootsy “comedic” episodes and more of the Memento Mori like adventure/battle episodes.

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2023 4:19 AM

Oh please, the "Lower Decks" cross-over episode was one of the best ones this season... or all series.

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2023 6:29 AM

Musical episode was awesome, but why the hell did they give Carol Kane just two lines? Her voice sounded gorgeous in what we did get.

Kudos to Peck for powering through, even though he doesn't have a natural voice for singing. Mount's was the least pleasing to the ear, I'm sad to say. He also botched his lipsync once. La'an killed it with her belter, as did Uhura.

The CG in the gravity scene was laughable, it looked like Sims! We're just not there yet, I guess. At least when it comes to female officers with long hair, a floating Tuvok is easy in comparison.

Kirk has crotchfruit?! Is this canon?

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2023 10:33 AM

He had a son with Dr. Carol Marcus, David, but was asked to avoid his upbringing and did not know he had matured into a scientific genius until 2285-86, when the young man was killed by Klingons on the Genesis planet he'd help to create.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2023 11:00 AM

Nurse Chapels song was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2023 11:18 AM

Goddamn, Celia Rose Gooding has an amazing voice. I actually rewound the episode to watch Uhura’s song before I continued the episode.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2023 1:03 PM

Is it just me or did Nurse Chapel's song have Amy Winehouse vibes?

Sam's dancing in the mess hall looked so damn sexy, he's definitely the hottest Kirk. With a juicier tooshie, too.

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2023 1:07 PM

That was great!

I appreciated the shouting out of “Once More With Feeling” as well.

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2023 1:21 PM

Yeah, the Anya nod was nice, and right at the start. They probably thought might as well get this huge elephant out of the way quickly.

Priority One mission? After which they'll finally have that vacation that'll take their relationship to the next level? Goodbye, Captain Marie Batel, we hardly knew ya. She's getting ate by the Gorn five different ways in the series finale.

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2023 1:36 PM

I ... loved it? The lyrics were kind of dopey at times and the staging for some songs left something to be desired. But the rest was pretty amazing. Christina and Celia have the best voices (duh), so they got the most vocally challenging songs. Jess sounded great, though, and I liked her song. The rest were just OK. The pitch correction was kind of obvious for some.

SINGING KLINGONS! I screamed.

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2023 4:17 PM

[quote]Yeah, the Anya nod was nice, and right at the start.

Not just the bunnies, but Uhura also had an “I have a theory”

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2023 4:30 PM

Oh yes, of course! Can't believe I missed that.

Carol Kane got the Willow treatment in this one, even though – unlike Hannigan – she can actually sing. I'm sure the truth will out in interviews years from now, but man I can't believe they didn't at least give her a duet. Especially if she's gonna die or leave some other way next week.

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2023 4:43 PM

[quote]R6: He had a son with Dr. Carol Marcus, David, but was asked to avoid his upbringing and did not know he had matured into a scientific genius until 2285-86, when the young man was killed by Klingons on the Genesis planet he'd help to create.

Hmmm... this seems a bit soon for Carol Marcus and the crotchfruit... I always thought that relationship happened post-five-year mission, once Kirk was deskbound. There's other relationships more contemporary with this time period, i.e. Ruth, Areel Shaw.

They're promoting Kirk, and no reference yet to the attack on the Farragut by the Melitus, with the loss of Captain Garrovick and two hundred crew members?

[quote]R12: SINGING KLINGONS! I screamed.

If you watched Star Trek Deep Space Nine, then you know Klingons have a thing for opera; they do sing.

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2023 5:33 PM

[quote] Hmmm... this seems a bit soon for Carol Marcus and the crotchfruit... I always thought that relationship happened post-five-year mission, once Kirk was deskbound

We’re in 2260 currently. Wrath of Khan happens in 2285.

It’s exactly the right time for Carol to be pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2023 5:44 PM

I friggin' loved the musical episode! Uhura having her self-realization moment. That amazing voice! I actually had tears in my eyes. Nichelle would have been so proud of her, and I'm sure somewhere, she is. (MARY! I know.)

Sometimes the lyrics were understandably serviceable. It kind of reminded me of "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" in that the lyrics very character, location, or situation driven, often name dropping.

It's too bad they didn't get to do the DS9 episode. They would have been fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2023 5:59 PM

Why, R16/TheVoiceoftheNight, I do believe this is the first time you've ever addressed me directly.

I had never looked over the official timeline material at Memory Alpha. And their timeline has yet to integrate stuff from SNW.

by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2023 6:06 PM

[quote]Nichelle would have been so proud of her, and I'm sure somewhere, she is. (MARY! I know.)

She’d also love that Uhura’s gotten to save the ship twice this season.

Her favorite episode was “The Lorelei Signal” from TAS, because Uhura got to assume command.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2023 6:35 PM

Wasn't there supposed to be an episode of TOS where Uhura assumed command, but Shatner (of course) put the kibosh on it? I remember reading an interview with Nichelle where she used the phrase "pitched a bitch", but still didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2023 6:39 PM

I have found articles which allude to it, R20, but none of them name the episode. It was supposed to have been a first season episode where all of the senior male officers were planetside, and Roddenberry is who put the kibosh on Uhura assuming command. The debate was recapitulated over the last episode, 'Turnabout Intruder,' over whether Starfleet permitted women to captain a ship. Nimoy asserted in an interview that it was Gene's intention that they could not.

Given that this was Roddenbury's established position, I'm not sure how 'The Lorelei Signal' made it through.

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2023 9:15 PM

Because he was nominally the producer of TAS, but DC Fontana was the actual show runner.

by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2023 9:18 PM

The musical episode was fine.

Recognizing that the story conceit was always going to be thin, they may as well have just yelled, "hey kids, let's put on a show."

Biggest complaint - Uhura didn't get to sing nearly enough. I don't mean the actress, I mean the character. They missed an opportunity by not doing a small homage to Nichelle Nichols. There should have been a small reprise to this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2023 9:41 PM

Wait, wait, wait! The singing Klingon commander was played by Bruce Horak, aka Hemmer?! I just found that out in another forum.

I loved Uhura's big solo number (I've watched it three times now and cry every time), but yes, some sort of Nichelle homage would have been nice. My idea was, instead of the quiet guitar intro, replace it with a harp to sound like the Vulcan harp Uhura played so many times. I know this sounds weird, but when I hear that song, images in my mind are of Nichelle as Uhura instead of Celia. Whomever composed that song really understood both versions of the character and reached back to her origins in the 1960s. I've already MARY!'d myself but I deserve it: MARY! AGAIN!

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2023 9:57 PM

I’m not going to MARY! you. It didn’t make me cry, but I keep obsessively checking Apple Music to download it.

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2023 10:03 PM

I’m planning on rewatching the episode tonight. It’s great having DL input in pointing out things that I was unaware of and that make me want to go back to savor.

Thanks all.

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2023 10:06 PM

I think the smartest thing they did was giving La’An (the second best singer) the “I Want” song, and giving Uhura the 11 o’clock number.

I mean, I’d have given Uhura all of them, but Christina Chong also has a musical theater background.

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2023 10:14 PM

[quote]I’m not going to MARY! you. It didn’t make me cry, but I keep obsessively checking Apple Music to download it.

Voila.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2023 12:02 AM

I never appreciated how wonderful “Once More with Feeling” and “Daria! The Musical” until watching this episode. It turns out it’s hard to create catchy tunes and dynamite lyrics.

I immediately rewatched the ones I have referenced above. And as far as SNW goes, I’ve rewatched “Those Old Scientists” three times. I eye rolled so often during this episode I don’t know that I will watch it again. For me, the only song I enjoyed was the Una/Kirk number.

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2023 12:10 AM

Oh, and the Klingon hip hop of course.

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2023 12:10 AM

GLEE TREK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2023 3:13 AM

The lyrics were inferior to the music. i loved Chapel's incredibly catchy song, but the lyrics were awful (rhyming "no limit" with "infinite").

by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2023 4:28 AM

R32 Agreed. Chapel's song was the only fun number. I know I might have to give back my gay card, but I'm not a musical person and I found this episode hard to watch. I feel like for the second last episode of the season, it was a waste of an hour.

R14 I am disappointed by Kane's lack of screen time, but I'm guessing that has more to do with her availability. I don't think they are going to kill her off next week.

by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2023 5:33 AM

The other thing I love about "I'm Ready" (Chapel's song) is how funny Dan Jeannotte's (Sam Kirk's) dance moves are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2023 5:37 AM

Can someone explain to me what's the deal with Nurse Chapel's fellowship? I know this is where she will meet and become engaged to Dr. Roger Korby, the head of the fellowship (whose android replacement appears in "What Are Little Girls Made Of?"); but her song is all about how ambitious she is. Does archaeological medicine really offer growth career opportunities for nursing (of all things)?

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2023 5:53 AM

[quote] I always thought that relationship happened post-five-year mission, once Kirk was deskbound.

In the first TOS Kirk episode his First Officer Gary Mitchell gloats how he had distracted Academy instructor Lt Jim by aiming "that nurse" at him. Aghast Kirk replies he almost married her. I always assumed Carol.meant to be her.

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2023 6:49 AM

Do you think they tested the actors beforehand to determine their ranges? I mean, Chapel's song was cute but she had a very limited range.

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2023 12:18 PM

[quote]In the first TOS Kirk episode his First Officer Gary Mitchell gloats how he had distracted Academy instructor Lt Jim by aiming "that nurse" at him. Aghast Kirk replies he almost married her. I always assumed Carol.meant to be her.

I think he actually says "that lab tech" or something similar, which tracks with Carol being a scientist.

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2023 1:49 PM

Also, the soundtrack has officially hit Apple Music and Spotify.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2023 2:02 PM

[quote] Do you think they tested the actors beforehand to determine their ranges? I mean, Chapel's song was cute but she had a very limited range.

I don't see why not. I'm sure they originally chose none of the actors (except perhaps Uhura) for their singing talents--it just was lucky some of them had extensive backgrounds in musical theater, and that most of the rest of them can at least carry a tune. So for the mere tune-carriers, they had to create songs they could sing.

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2023 2:18 PM

Is Sam Kirk married to Aurelan already by the time this show takes place?

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2023 2:32 PM

He'd probably have to be, going strictly by TOS. "Operation: Annihilate!" is seven years out from this season. Peter Kirk had to be at least 10.

by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2023 2:49 PM

Funny enough, I just watched that episode last night. I was in the mood for some TOS, so I put it on to fall asleep. Mitchell's exact words were "little blonde lab tech" so yeah, could be Carol Marcus.

I'm sure they tested the cast's individual vocal ranges, some of them are surprisingly good, but Chapel's speaking voice has a bit of a throaty, "croak" quality, so it was best to hit her with something lower register and could be spoken in some places. The one who really surprised me was M'Bega. I could actually hear and understand him better when singing than speaking!

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2023 3:46 PM

I'm sure there was some judicious use of pitch correction, but I was most surprised how good Rebecca Romijn sounded.

Also, as Singing Kirk, Paul Wesley is definitely better than Shatner.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2023 4:10 PM

R41 Yes, I believe Sam mentioned a wife and son in the first season.

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2023 5:01 PM

I stand corrected on "that lab tech" but it's been years since I watched that episode. Close enough for government work and photon torpedoes.

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2023 6:13 PM

Lol, yeah no "Rocketman" or "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" in sight! Paul Wesley was one of those with a surprisingly good voice. His Kirk has grown on me since his first appearance.

I'd first heard Romijn sing in that Short Trek and it caught me off guard how good she was. Number One is one of my favorite characters. I loved Majel Barrett's portrayal in the original pilot, so when I read a woman mostly known for being sexy (and screwing around with half the straight men in Hollywood according to DL), I was worried. But Romijn has done a fantastic job with Una. I don't know if Majel Barrett could sing, but I was thinking of her during the Una and Kirk number.

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2023 6:26 PM

[quote]Paul Wesley was one of those with a surprisingly good voice. His Kirk has grown on me since his first appearance.

The problem with Wesley's Kirk is that he doesn't have the bravado that you expect from the character. James T. Kirk is a larger than life persona. Wesley's Kirk is a bit too introspective. Kirk works off gut instinct. Wesley's thinks first before making a decision.

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2023 7:47 PM

I can accept Wesley's Kirk becomes more swaggering and instinct based when he's promoted captain of the Enterprise at an older age.

I still cannot accept that Jess Bush's tomboyish, impulsive Nurse Chapel could ever grow up into Majel Barrett's gracious, timid Nurse Chapel, though.

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2023 7:59 PM

[quote] The problem with Wesley's Kirk is that he doesn't have the bravado that you expect from the character.

I've not watched any of the new shows but young Kirk SHOULD be quiet and reserved. Unlike the JJ Abrams juvenile delinquent reimaging of the character, in the same first TOS episode referenced above Gary Mitchell described Starfleet Academy Kirk as a “walking stack of books,. The arrogance came later.

And this time I checked the quote.

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2023 8:11 PM

"I'm Ready" reminded me of Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black."

by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2023 11:21 PM

On the previous thread there was some discussion if Carol Kane had work done, but the lighting in this episode made it clear she hasn't (she looks great for 71). I guess if we want to see plastic surgery in Trek, we can watch Gates McFadden in S3 of Picard.

by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2023 1:50 AM

I feel like "Great job! But don't do it again." It didn't feel like Star Trek to me. It was so good though that I would like the cast get together again outside ST to do an unrelated musical. Some of the performances were truly outstanding as mentioned above with two stand-out stars. What saved the hour for me as a Star Trek episode that it came with some emotional heft for some of the characters. It elevated the episode from just being an excuse to sing. It was indeed very well done.

by Anonymousreply 53August 6, 2023 3:44 AM

The episode made me feel like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 6, 2023 3:50 AM

I hope the season finale isn't taking place in the mirror universe. Lots of people think it will be about the Gorns. Some images from the episodes show some crew members, not all, in different universes though. I'd rather have the Gorns than a mirror. Maybe the uniforms are just some special combat gear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 7, 2023 10:08 PM

Those are the tactical uniforms. We've seen them these season already.

by Anonymousreply 56August 7, 2023 10:10 PM

Oh good. That's a relief. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 57August 7, 2023 11:07 PM

I came to hate the mirror universe too. The original "Mirror, Mirror" episode of TOS is great, but then they went to that well far too many times over the years.

by Anonymousreply 58August 7, 2023 11:15 PM

Information about the finale. It looks like the Gorn are indeed heavily involved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 7, 2023 11:22 PM

Could someone explain to me why they need tactical outfits on the bridge?

by Anonymousreply 60August 7, 2023 11:24 PM

As Spock isn't wearing one, perhaps he's in the process of beaming to or from a location where he would need it.

by Anonymousreply 61August 7, 2023 11:40 PM

[quote]R60: Could someone explain to me why they need tactical outfits on the bridge?

Have you never seen the situations where combatants beam directly onto the bridge and attack? Where instrumentation panels explode? Or the bridge loses its integrity to space? Or where someone who has just come from a combat situation goes directly to the bridge to assume their station? Kirk was known to come directly to the bridge with his shirt ripped and a titty hanging out. ;)

by Anonymousreply 62August 8, 2023 12:50 AM

r61's explanation makes sense for the narrative logic of the show.

r62's does not.

by Anonymousreply 63August 8, 2023 1:27 AM

▲ Personal grudge.

Socks again.

by Anonymousreply 64August 8, 2023 1:30 AM

I am not "Socks," whoever that is.

But it is true I cannot stand you, PoisonedDragon. You are a pompous know-it-all.

by Anonymousreply 65August 8, 2023 1:35 AM

R65, your feelings of inferiority are a 'you' problem. Nothing to do with me at all (unless you're yet another sock of a Christian who lost an argument about the existence of Jesus Christ :D). That's certainly possible.

Get some Preparation H and get over it.

by Anonymousreply 66August 8, 2023 1:44 AM

I’m just happy to get another intense action episode, Gorn or no Gorn.

by Anonymousreply 67August 8, 2023 3:30 AM

HA HA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 8, 2023 4:47 AM

I was underwhelmed by the musical episode. Found myself tuning out, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 69August 8, 2023 3:48 PM

My favorite part was the vocal theme opening. As for the rest of the episode, I don't think I'd watch it again, even though there are some good singers. The songs were very much the same melodically, and as has been mentioned, lyrically clumsy.

by Anonymousreply 70August 9, 2023 4:54 PM

Didn't care for the first episode of the season, but the rest are great. I actually even enjoyed the musical episode! And agree, Chapels song was the best one. And Spocks. He's got a good voice. And...Chongs! She is very talented.

by Anonymousreply 71August 9, 2023 5:02 PM

We get to meet Scotty so there’s that. Cliffhanger ending is a little ‘yawn’ to be honest. All in all my least favorite episode of the season but still enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 72August 10, 2023 11:31 AM

I like the episode. Like last season, this Gorn episode happens to be my favorite of the season. My one major complaint. Chapel being the only survivor of that starship was bullshit. It would have been more possible for at least a few other crew members to have survived . That was so cheesy as fuck. Great cliffhanger though.

by Anonymousreply 73August 10, 2023 11:43 AM

Yeah, I didn't care much for this episode either. The Gorn space suit design was sweet, though.

Now for the long, long wait for the third season, which was already shooting when the strike started. Will probably have to wait until 2025, sigh.

by Anonymousreply 74August 10, 2023 11:43 AM

I meant plausible instead of possible.

by Anonymousreply 75August 10, 2023 11:44 AM

I don't much care for these short 10-episode seasons. It feels like things just got started and it's over.

by Anonymousreply 76August 10, 2023 1:46 PM

Captain Batel has some trouble pronouncing the word "agricultural", but I'm glad she's sticking around until the next season. It would have been ugly to just fridge Pike's love interest without a proper goodbye, feels like we're beyond that kind of treatment of female characters now.

Loved that "old Midwestern United States" colony town full of smiling Canadians. Well, they weren't smiling for very long.

r76 I agree, but that's just how Trek is now, along with the rest of TV.

by Anonymousreply 77August 10, 2023 2:22 PM

Another episode where Pike is made to seem indecisive and weak.

I really don't like what they're doing with him.

by Anonymousreply 78August 10, 2023 3:11 PM

They pretty much wasted having Carol Kane this season. I think her character is simply a failure; it just doesn't make sense to have an addled grandmother shuffling around with one or two lines an episode (if that). Hemmer was far more interesting and had actual connections with the other characters.

by Anonymousreply 79August 10, 2023 3:36 PM

She's being used as a bridge between Hemmer and Scotty, so hopefully she gets to shine more next season when she has him to bounce off of.

by Anonymousreply 80August 10, 2023 3:47 PM

So, the entire Enterprise crew is going to be on the ship before Kirk takes over?

I don't think that makes a lot of sense. Wouldn't a captain want to have his own trusted bridge crew? Why would Kirk just accept an entire command crew from the last captain, even if that captain is Pike.

Also, slowly replacing the crew with ToS crew gives this show a claustrophobic feeling - like the end is slowly closing in. While it would be interesting if it were intentional, I doubt the writers have that kind of skill, given what else we've seen.

by Anonymousreply 81August 10, 2023 3:59 PM

I thought it was a pretty good action episode. I wasn't expecting a cliffhanger. Great visual effects. The design of the fully-grown Gorn was impressive and definitely took design cues from the Xenomorphs. Scotty showing up was an interesting twist (I didn't spoil myself). Although I agree with the others about the show leaning too heavily into bringing in the TOS characters so soon. The show is about Pike's crew, not Kirk's crew (with some exceptions).

Overall, this was a good season with a nice range of episodes. The development of La'an, Chapel, Spock and Uhura was handled well. The M'Benga/Chapel Klingon war episode was the best of the season. The musical episode was a huge risk, but it worked out well (I liked it). I hope we don't have to wait too long for season three.

by Anonymousreply 82August 10, 2023 4:36 PM

Great cliffhanger!

Dan Jeannotte as Sam Kirk just magnetizes the camera. I can't look at anyone else when he's on screen. I predict he's going to be a star someday. I wish they would promote him to a regular here instead of recurring.

Oddly, I liked the idea that the attacked planet was made to look like a Midwestern small town in the present day. That seemed a call-out to the original series.

I still have a lot of trouble accepting the Spock-Chapel romance, given that he is betrothed to T'Pring. This just doesn't seem in keeping with his character.

I am so curious as to what younger people who watch this show make of Carol Kane's strange way of speaking. if you grew up with her as an actress you're pretty used to it (and I even find it charming), but i wonder if she drives Zoomers who are not used to her nuts.

by Anonymousreply 83August 10, 2023 4:56 PM

At least some of them probably watched her on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

by Anonymousreply 84August 10, 2023 5:02 PM

[quote]I still have a lot of trouble accepting the Spock-Chapel romance, given that he is betrothed to T'Pring. This just doesn't seem in keeping with his character.

Spock and T'Pring are taking a break, aren't they?

I like the Chapel character. I just wish she weren't Nurse Chapel. She's worlds better than Ortegas or La'an. Frankly, this is the way Una should be. Una comes across as a by the book functionary, not the badass first officer she should be - especially one who ends up being the poster girl for Starfleet recruitment.

by Anonymousreply 85August 10, 2023 5:47 PM

[quote] Spock and T'Pring are taking a break, aren't they?

Can Vulcans really take a break if they've already been bonded? I thought once they bond they have to go back to each other when the men hit pon farr or the man dies.

by Anonymousreply 86August 10, 2023 6:47 PM

Can't they just put Marie Batel in transporter buffer stasis until they get past the Gorn hunter ships? That would give them more time to figure out how to remove the Gorn eggs.

by Anonymousreply 87August 10, 2023 7:17 PM

I really liked this final episode (which reminded me a great deal of TOS) because it genuinely was exciting. I like how the Gorn are such a terrifying menace, and yet the series is already hinting strongly that the Gorn are not going to be as wholly irredeemable as they seem (we know eventually the Federation comes to have something of a truce with them). The mystery as to why the younglings did not attack one another as they did last season (or has been La'an's experience of them) was intriguing.

Ethan Peck's ass looked great in that space suit, and they gave him some good booty shots.

I found the young actor who played Scotty appealing, although his accent seemed to my ears at least more like a parody of James Doohan's Mr. Scott accent (like something from "The Simpsons") than an actual Scottish accent. I liked how he captured Scotty's nerdiness and improvisational leanings, and also his sense of humor. His Scotty seems much more like a plausible sketch for how the character will become as an adult on TOS than Celia Roose Gooding's Uhura does or (especially) Jess Bush's Chapel does... though I genuinely like both Gooding and Bush all the same.

by Anonymousreply 88August 10, 2023 7:41 PM

r87 That's not really standard protocol that's widely used, especially not when you're being fired upon and your systems are at risk of shorting out at any moment.

by Anonymousreply 89August 10, 2023 8:37 PM

[quote]Can't they just put Marie Batel in transporter buffer stasis...

That's the trap writers put themselves in by throwing in whiz-bang tech for a particular story that causes the audience to wonder why they never use that Deus Ex Machina gadget again. Science Fiction shows are particularly susceptible to this. If the writers who threw out the idea of M'Benga keeping his daughter in the transporter buffer would have honored what we'd previously learned about transporter tech over the years, this issue wouldn't have come up now to bug you as a logical inconsistency.

Oh, but honoring "canon" is a straightjacket, they insist.. I can see the point, but ignoring it ends up in any number of small irritations that can take fans out of the story. The inter-ship beaming (which came up again in this episode) is another one.

I know it's just a TV show, and can never be internally consistent, but it can result in some gritted teeth.

by Anonymousreply 90August 10, 2023 9:49 PM

[quote]I found the young actor who played Scotty appealing, although his accent seemed to my ears at least more like a parody of James Doohan's Mr. Scott accent (like something from "The Simpsons") than an actual Scottish accent

The actor is is from Scotland.

I was impressed. I can believe that guy aged into James Doohan.

by Anonymousreply 91August 10, 2023 9:51 PM

[quote]Oh, but honoring "canon" is a straightjacket, they insist.. I can see the point, but ignoring it ends up in any number of small irritations that can take fans out of the story. The inter-ship beaming (which came up again in this episode) is another one.

While I can see not being slavishly tied to certain bits of canon, like T'Pring's relationship to Spock, ignoring some previously established story elements creates HUGE plot holes, like using the transporter to store people. If it were a thing, why wouldn't Starfleet Medical actually devote resources to create an actual medical system that utilizes the technology, rather than an ad hoc system with several critical flaws. If they tried, they could actually perfect the system. Also, with M'Benga's daughter, did they ever explain why cryo-stasis wasn't possible - you know, like they're now doing with Batel?

When you start creating these story holes, the audience will inevitably start losing interest as the solution or the problem become contrivances for drama. It's simply bad sci fi in that case.

by Anonymousreply 92August 10, 2023 10:41 PM

First of all, you know T’Pring is getting her back, broken from the Vulcan that she eventually leaves Spock for.

So we’re not going to talk about the absurdity of Chapel being the only survivor of the attack on Batel’s ship.

by Anonymousreply 93August 10, 2023 11:31 PM

[quote]So we’re not going to talk about the absurdity of Chapel being the only survivor of the attack on Batel’s ship.

She wasn't. Most people are assuming that it was a "good of the many" moment and the other survivors, if there were any, couldn't be saved and the priority was to save the colonists which necessitated destroying the blanketing field on the planet to beam them out.

by Anonymousreply 94August 11, 2023 1:59 AM

I wonder who they bring back next season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 11, 2023 2:18 AM

I'd be very surprised if we saw Janice Rand. They seem to want to focus on the major characters. Poor Rand is just a footnote. She was more Kirk's yeoman than Pike's. Yeoman Colt, the red haired girl from "The Cage", was Pike's yeoman, and if she didn't show up in SNW from the beginning...

by Anonymousreply 96August 11, 2023 2:39 AM

R96 I suspect they avoid incorporating Yeoman Colt (or even Rand) because the duties of a Yeoman are largely secretarial, difficult to write for and Rand and Colt were sexist tropes of the 1960s whose main roles were to be pretty love interests for the captain.

by Anonymousreply 97August 11, 2023 2:59 AM

They've mentioned that yeomans exist in this time period, thoug,. Pike referred to one on this very episode.

by Anonymousreply 98August 11, 2023 3:02 AM

[quote]Poor Rand is just a footnote.

She was supposed to have a much bigger part, but was cut.

She does make a comeback on Sulu's Excelsior in the Voyager episode Flashback.

by Anonymousreply 99August 11, 2023 3:51 AM

I'm always amazed Rand was only in eight episodes: "The Man Trap," "Charlie X," "The Naked Time," "The Corbomite Maneuver," "The Enemy Within," "Balance of Terror," "Miri", and "The Conscience of the King." It seems like she was in many more.

Of those, she had genuinely meaty things to say and do in "Charlie X," "The Enemy Within," and of course "Miri" ("...Captain, LOOK AT MY LEGS!").

by Anonymousreply 100August 11, 2023 4:09 AM

Rand went on to become the Transporter Officer who killed Kirk's new Vulcan Science Officer and a woman (Kirk's wife per the novelization). She should have stuck with her secretarial duties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 11, 2023 5:07 AM

[quote]R92: ignoring some previously established story elements creates HUGE plot holes, like using the transporter to store people. If it were a thing, why wouldn't Starfleet Medical actually devote resources to create an actual medical system that utilizes the technology, rather than an ad hoc system with several critical flaws.

You know that was established back in TNG, right? The episode was called 'Relics,' and it also explains why the method wasn't a common practice.

In SNW, Dr M'Benga gave the transporter buffer containing his daughter a power source independent from the rest of the ship, and it still had problems. It was borne of desperation that he did it at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 11, 2023 5:45 AM

I'm so amazed they're saying they still have yeomans, who seemed to do nothing but carry electronic manifests around for officers to sign. What possible function could they serve for today's Starfleet?

by Anonymousreply 103August 11, 2023 5:50 AM

I think they get you tea to the captain's chair.

by Anonymousreply 104August 11, 2023 11:48 AM

Rand was depicted as a combo of secretary and waitress. She even serves him lunch at one point.

by Anonymousreply 105August 11, 2023 11:52 AM

Back in TOS days, they were also there to present ass to the captain when there was nothing interesting happening on the viewscreen. They served at and for his pleasure, but then the woke space mob came and took it all away.

by Anonymousreply 106August 11, 2023 12:03 PM

[quote]You know that was established back in TNG, right? The episode was called 'Relics,' and it also explains why the method wasn't a common practice.

[quote]In SNW, Dr M'Benga gave the transporter buffer containing his daughter a power source independent from the rest of the ship, and it still had problems. It was borne of desperation that he did it at all.

Obviously. But, you fail the consider two key points: 1)if they actually devoted time and resources to addressing the problems, they could improve significantly since M'Benga is not an engineer and Scotty did it out of desperation using whatever he had on hand, rather than a system devoted specifically for the purpose; 2) M'Benga's daughter had spent MONTHS in the buffer. If they're doing it purely for emergency medical purposes, months would usually be more than sufficient to get the person to a safe location, rematerialize, and treat them. If nothing else, transporting a specially designed pattern buffer storage unit would be much easier and take less space than a body in stasis. As a matter of fact, if you were doing an emergency evacuation, things like space on the escape pod or shuttle wouldn't be a thing either. If I had the choice between going into a specially designed evacuation pattern buffer and staying and dying, I think most people would take their chances with a pattern buffer.

by Anonymousreply 107August 11, 2023 12:32 PM

Getting your knickers in a twist about yeomen and trying to fit them into todays cultural norms because ‘canon’ is the same as asshole Supreme Court justices who look at todays laws through a literal interpretation of the Constitution. Time moves on, attitudes and cultural norms have changed, so get the stick out of your ass and adapt.

by Anonymousreply 108August 11, 2023 12:34 PM

Somewhat predictably, as soon as the people bleating for a continuing story about the Gorn were presented with one, they started whining about the cliffhanger.

Nothing makes them happy. They are dedicated to being unhappy and spreading that unhappiness wherever they go. They are the fans of unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 109August 11, 2023 12:53 PM

^ That's why writers should never be on social media. If you create something and let EVERYBODY weigh in, you will always have people being unhappy. And people don't just say 'This is not for me.' They always claim that things are objectively flawed and those who disagree are wrong. It's bad enough when the studio or streamer is meddling in your work.

by Anonymousreply 110August 11, 2023 1:18 PM

Leaving aside that Star Trek has been doing cliffhangers for 33 years...

by Anonymousreply 111August 11, 2023 1:32 PM

Isn't this only the second Gorn episode in as many seasons? Not much of a continuing story, if you ask me. I thought we'd at least get one more episode with them this season, but I guess it's hard to make mute asocial reptiles into an interesting villain.

by Anonymousreply 112August 11, 2023 1:51 PM

It's the third. The one that focused on La'An, the one where Hemmer died, and now this.

My only point is that one of the big complaints about Disco and Picard were that they were so serialized and dark. So, SNW is lighter and more episodic, and they turn around immediately and start bitching that it's too silly and there's not a season long arc.

Make up your goddamn minds.

by Anonymousreply 113August 11, 2023 1:58 PM

Why didn't they have Carol Kane sing a solo? It would have been hilarious.

Do you guys think Pike will get the same fated ending ending up in "the Cage" /disfigured, etc. ? Whenever the show ends.

by Anonymousreply 114August 11, 2023 2:50 PM

R12 Singing Klingons was the best! Wanted more of that...but being short, was probably just the right length..to save the specialness.

by Anonymousreply 115August 11, 2023 2:51 PM

[quote] Getting your knickers in a twist about yeomen and trying to fit them into todays cultural norms because ‘canon’ is the same as asshole Supreme Court justices who look at todays laws through a literal interpretation of the Constitution.

It is EXACTLY the same thing! There is NO difference! It's a case of apples and apples!

You do not sound like an angry, bitter person at all!

by Anonymousreply 116August 11, 2023 3:00 PM

If you come to a discussion thread expecting everyone to have the same opinions about a TV show as you do, and becoming angry and resentful when they don't, why even bother coming to a discussion thread at all?

by Anonymousreply 117August 11, 2023 3:05 PM

The show has handled the Gorn just right. They've been established as a recurring threat, but we aren't getting beaten over the head with it to the point that they lose their appeal (unlike how "Voyager" kind of ruined the Borg).

by Anonymousreply 118August 11, 2023 3:54 PM

Or DS9 overdosed on Klingons.

by Anonymousreply 119August 11, 2023 6:26 PM

VOD, I’m one of those viewers who been bitching for more Gorn episodes, especially considering that they were my favorite episodes from last season. With that said, I LOVE the cliffhanger!

by Anonymousreply 120August 11, 2023 10:17 PM

I am somewhat reminded of Species 8472. I always thought 8472 had something reptile like. And since both are CGI they show is shying away from fully putting them on display. In terms of filming horror this is awesome. And it makes both species even more mysterious. And unless the Gorn get a queen all of a sudden they may stay a species that won't be personally communicated with.

What I don't understand yet is how the Gorn are so primal and yet are able to explore the universe and have sophisticated weaponry.

by Anonymousreply 121August 11, 2023 10:41 PM

Well, we have yet to see what adult Gorns are like, except for the incredibly slow-moving adult from "Arena" who was forced to fight Kirk. Other than that, we've really only seen just a mirror-universe adult (on DS9) and the adult in this episode... but it was never explained in this episode what that adult was really trying to do.

by Anonymousreply 122August 12, 2023 1:18 AM

[quote]R122: it was never explained in this episode what that adult was really trying to do.

It was trying to gain access to the Cayuga computer.

by Anonymousreply 123August 12, 2023 1:24 AM

I wasn't really keen on getting a Star Trek musical. Don't think it's what Star Trek needed. But I keep finding myself going back listening to Celia Rose Gooding's I keep us Connected. It's a catchy tune, and she is so good with it.

by Anonymousreply 124August 13, 2023 1:25 PM

There are better Star Trek musicals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 13, 2023 2:02 PM

Just because: Posting an interview with Mount and Romijn. Those seem.to be really nice down to earth people. I watched the entire video, and kept thinking 'man, maybe I'm not entirely gay after all'. I just couldn't take my eyes off...them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 16, 2023 1:17 AM

Lower Decks season 4 trailer.

First two episodes out September 7th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 1, 2023 8:08 PM

I'd do Commander Ransom...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 1, 2023 8:36 PM

I’m listening to the soundtrack of ‘Subspace Rhapsody’ again and it’s great. The musical score is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 129September 22, 2023 1:36 PM

Speaking of scores, I came all over when I saw Voyager and heard its theme music in the Lower Decks premiere. What a beauty that ship is, the most elegant of them all. And what a nice conclusion to the Voyager story with that final shot of the ship in San Francisco, now a museum. That's basically what people wanted from the Voyager finale.

by Anonymousreply 130September 22, 2023 1:41 PM

I didn't come, but I did tear up when Voyager appeared on Picard, especially when Seven talked about her time aboard.

by Anonymousreply 131September 23, 2023 1:59 PM

Oh yeah, that was possibly even more epic because it was the real deal. I have to rewatch that scene right now.

by Anonymousreply 132September 23, 2023 2:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!