Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jaguars assistant coach Kevin Maxen comes out publicly as gay

Jacksonville Jaguars assistant strength coach Kevin Maxen came out publicly as gay Thursday, which makes him the first known openly gay male coach in the NFL and in all of American men’s professional sports.

Maxen joined the Jaguars’ strength and conditioning staff last season. He told Outsports’ Cyd Zeigler that a big part of why he wanted to come out publicly now was so that he could live openly with his boyfriend, Nick.

[quote] “I don’t want to feel like I have to think about it anymore,” Maxen said. “I don’t want to feel like I have to lie about who I am seeing or why I am living with someone else. I want to be vocal in support of people living how they want to live, but I also just want to live and not feel fear about how people will react.”

Maxen is the latest in the NFL to come out publicly as gay. Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Carl Nassib became the league’s first active openly gay player when he came out in 2021, when he was with the Las Vegas Raiders. Maxen said he reached out to Nassib after he came out. Former San Francisco 49ers assistant Katie Sowers made history as both the first woman and first openly gay coach in a Super Bowl in 2020.

Maxen was a linebacker at Western Connecticut State, a Division III program. He held internships as a strength coach at Iowa and Army before earning full-time jobs at Baylor and Vanderbilt.

“Kevin was a big part in helping me prepare every Sunday during my last year in the NFL … Our friendship grew with the time spent working together and us sharing a lot of similarities on our views of life, being someone that just gets it,” former Jaguars lineman Brandon Linder told Outsports. “He understands what life is truly all about. That’s why I gravitated towards him.

“It was truly an honor and extremely humbling when I was one of the first people Kevin confided to about his sexuality. I can’t imagine how hard that must have been, not knowing what my reaction would be. I remember the day he told me I was so elated for him to get that off his chest.”

The Jaguars went 9-8 last season and reached the playoffs for the first time since the 2017 season. The franchise promoted Cedric Scott to replace Anthony Schlegel as head strength and conditioning coach last year. Maxen is one of three assistant strength and conditioning coaches on staff, along with Adam Potts and Brandon Ireland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 3, 2023 3:23 AM

It's not a high profile position, but the more people that come out in professional sports, the better it is for us.

Plus, he's not bad looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2023 3:48 AM

Is this his boyfriend?

Damn, they're both hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2023 3:48 AM

I think it is his boyfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2023 3:49 AM

And another.

Damn, they must have some good sex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2023 3:49 AM

Florida is in desperate need of out gays and lesbians to counteract the extreme right anti-LGBTQ hysteria ripping through the state.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2023 3:52 AM

This is pretty big, it is rare for coaches in the major sports to come out. In some ways it's even harder for the coaches than the players, because there is the unfair assumption that you're going to perv on the players

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2023 3:59 AM

He's a cute bear type.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2023 4:19 AM

Thank you for not linking to Outsports. It's a reprehensible site.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2023 4:20 AM

Notice that in the photos with the boyfriend at R2, R3, and R4 he wouldn't put his arm around him.

That's how terrified he was of being outed.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2023 4:23 AM

I hope groups like Moms for Liberty or anti-gay groups leave them the fuck alone.

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2023 4:28 AM

The NFL's only gay!

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2023 4:31 AM

If only Kliff Kingsbury could learn from him.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2023 4:31 AM

Damn , his face has swagger.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2023 4:33 AM

There are a couple other former NFL coaches who could learn something from him....

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2023 4:34 AM

Fuck. In about 15 years he would be just my type.

Of course I'll be almost 60 at that point. So that won't probably work.

Either way, good for him. That's cool.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2023 5:04 AM

Hot bear

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2023 5:31 AM

But is he really gay, gay?

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2023 5:38 AM

Wow this guy is a huge BEAR.

Sexy as fuck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2023 5:53 AM

His dad is handsome too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2023 5:54 AM

He will not be allowed to coach in Florida; I just had a law passed. We have to protect the children!

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2023 3:10 PM

hawt

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2023 3:12 PM

Ban all the children from Jacksonville Jaguar games! He might abduct them and groom them!

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2023 4:48 PM

I'll make them a throuple!

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2023 4:52 PM

OMG his boyfriend TOWERS over him!

I did not expect that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2023 6:56 PM

Kevin has a straight twin brother, Willie

[quote] No price on family for Maxens

SOUTHBURY -- Seven years ago, Heather Maxen stashed her baseball glove away for the final time.

This one was just too close a call.

Maxen, a single mother raising twin sons, used to take her boys, Kevin and Willie, out for batting practice in the open field behind their condominium. On this particular day, Willie, then a fifth-grader with the physique -- and swing -- of a high schooler, blasted a rope right back toward his mom.

"It was right in front of my face," Heather says. "I could hear it whizzing by me. After that, I put my glove down and I was done. I haven't pitched to them since."

She has, however, done just about everything else.

Heather's alarm goes off at 5 a.m. every morning. She makes breakfast for Willie, who "places his order" before bed, and then wakes him when the meal -- usually banana pancakes and eggs -- is ready. Then, she wakes Kevin and takes his breakfast request.

"I don't know how (Willie) can know what he wants for breakfast the night before," Kevin says. "That doesn't make any sense to me."

She shuffles the boys off to Pomperaug High School, gets to work -- she's a teacher at the Waterbury Arts Magnet School -- by 7:30 a.m., leaves by 3:30 p.m. and races back to Pomperaug to catch the third or fourth inning of Kevin's baseball game.

Kevin, a 6-foot, 230-pound rock of a human being who is actually the smaller twin, bats clean-up for the Panthers. His powerful swing has helped Pomperaug to an astounding 40-4 record over the past two seasons.

Willie stands a hair taller than Kevin (the dreadlocks give him the slight edge) and checks in at 270 pounds. He is not a baseball player, but rather, a track and field athlete and, in all likelihood, the state's most hulking triple-jumper.

Like Kevin, Willie is playing college football next fall. He's headed to Division I-AA Central Connecticut to join the defensive line. Kevin, a linebacker, will play for Division III Endicott College.

Needless to say, sports matter to the Maxen family.

And that's why, regardless of the cost, Heather never considered pulling Kevin and Willie from their respective teams.

It may sound ludicrous to some, but given Heather's situation -- raising Kevin and Willie by herself on a tight budget -- cutting sports could have saved her a few headaches along the way.

Instead, she picked up extra work, teaching a ceramics class one night a week at Naugatuck Valley Community College to help keep the boys involved.

"You can't help but notice everything she does for us," Willie says. "My grandpa always says we should be very thankful -- and we are."

When funds run low, Heather says for the most part, others are willing to help. Youth baseball organizations allowed her to pay in stages or installments.

Local businesses recently agreed to sponsor Kevin and Willie in June's "Governor's Cup," the annual Connecticut versus Rhode Island all-star football game, a tradition reserved for the state's elite players.

Willie and Kevin, both all-state performers in the fall, certainly fit the bill.

In fact, that's where the two boys -- massive young men by high school football standards -- find common ground with their petite mother, who was an all-state swimmer at Sacred Heart High School in Waterbury and a collegiate standout at the University of Rhode Island.

"With swimming, I learned responsibility," Heather says. "I learned that you have to work hard every day."

She pauses for a second.

"But when I try to share advice with them, they tell me to get back in the pool because swimming's not a real sport."

Willie and Kevin immediately erupt in laughter.

Both insist they can out-swim their mom -- Willie claims to be a master in the backstroke -- as Heather quickly scrambles to defend herself.

"I can still beat them," she says. "Let's go in the pool right now."

Logically, you'd expect Heather to win with ease, but, as opposing high school football players learned, Kevin and Willie possess athleticism that doesn't match their size.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2023 7:04 PM

At 230 pounds, Kevin was the fastest straight-line sprinter on the Pomperaug High football team. And Willie wasn't far behind.

They are perhaps the two most athletic kids in the Pomperaug's senior class. In addition, they are -- without any shade of doubt -- the two biggest Pomperaug sports fans you'll find.

If there was an award for school spirit in Greater Danbury, the Maxen brothers would surely take the cake.

They linger after baseball or track practice to watch any Panthers sporting event at the school. Sometimes, when Heather comes to pick them up, she'll end up watching, too.

"These are the kids they grew up with, so I enjoy seeing them play," Heather says.

If Heather is at work, they hitch rides with coaches or friends to see their favorite Pomperaug teams play on the road. And they never miss a Panthers boys basketball game.

Throughout the winter season, both Kevin and Willie were fixtures -- and leaders -- in the Pomperaug student section. They rooted for all the players, but always went out of their way to recognize one in particular.

It wasn't Andre Makris, the 6-foot-7 forward who was voted, by his peers, as the most valuable player of the South-West Conference. And it wasn't Brent Pelella, the fiery point guard who very well may have broken the record for most mentions in The News-Times in a single sports season.

Rather, the Maxen boys made No. 43 T-shirts and started chants for Kevin Foy, a back-up forward who did all the little things -- the "dirty work" -- en route to averaging 3.9 points and 5.5 rebounds per game.

Their unrelenting support of Pomperaug's sixth-man begs one obvious question: Why?

"He deserved it," Kevin says. "He just worked really hard and was unselfish and was a great team player. No one gave him the recognition he deserves."

Except Kevin and Willie -- they have a special appreciation for people like that.

For good reason.

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2023 7:05 PM

I think it's great that they let fags work for the NFL. Not for the Patriots, though.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2023 7:12 PM

I officially have a crush on him. I didn't even know who he was yesterday. But wow he's sooooooooo cute. I love the smile and I love the chest.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2023 7:13 PM

[quote] I think it's great that they let fags work for the NFL. Not for the Patriots, though.

[quote] —Matt Damon

And I think it's wonderful that they let fat ass Down's Syndrome retards make movies.

So it has worked out quite well for everyone!

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2023 7:15 PM

What a nice article, thanks R25, R26. That mother... grit, determination, love. Wonder where Dad is... was he even mentioned?

Willie, the twin, has turned out to be an artist... interesting work.

Nice that Kevin seems to have a guy in his life...

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2023 7:18 PM

[quote] That mother... grit, determination, love.

You gotta love a single mom who sacrifices everything for her kids.

They're the best!

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2023 7:23 PM

R30 there may be a few pics of him on IG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2023 7:34 PM

Kevin is quite adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2023 7:34 PM

I don't think that's their real dad, R32.

Possibly their uncle.

I was going to say step dad, but their mother is a single mom.

Their dad has got to be African American.

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2023 7:36 PM

He's not too bright. I like that in a man.

by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2023 7:56 PM

NomNomNom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2023 8:16 PM

More power to him, but it's Jacksonville. It won't be easy.

by Anonymousreply 37July 21, 2023 8:26 PM

Now THAT’S a Blatino Husbear I can get behind!

by Anonymousreply 38July 21, 2023 8:40 PM

Poor Clay Travis. I have the slight perception that he doesn't like the fact there can be gays on NFL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 21, 2023 8:41 PM

Perhaps Clay Travis was pointing out the hyperbole the media will use to talk about Kevin. Travis is not wrong... it's 2023, is this really a "milestone?"

Don't forget for the next 2 to 3 days, lots of overweight former jocks who now talk, talk, talk for a living on radio and TV sports programs are going to banter and debate this. Some will tie themselves up in knots trying to be politically-correct, some will present themselves as non-plussed by the news, others will work very hard at being casual (but obviously uncomfortable) with this announcement.

by Anonymousreply 40July 21, 2023 9:59 PM

[quote] And I think it's wonderful that they let fat ass Down's Syndrome retards make movies.

Fat ass?

Down’s Syndrome?

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2023 1:11 AM

R40, zero male NFL coaches have come out until now. Yes, this is a milestone. There's a reason why they stay in the closet...

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2023 1:21 AM

Is there a chance that big, butch Kevin is a BOTTOM?

His boyfriend is about a foot taller than him.

Which means the boyfriend is a top and masculine/muscular Kevin is a raging bottom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2023 4:57 PM

Kevin is definitely a bottom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2023 4:58 PM

That’s my type of man.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2023 5:02 PM

I don't know what their relationship is like, but I've known tall guys who were power bottoms

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2023 5:53 PM

Hmm, I wonder if he was being blackmailed with explicit texts, photos, or clips of him in a sling getting barebacked by 5 white dudes.

It had to be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2023 6:05 PM

Thank God! Finally !!! A gay person in the media eye who is sane, intelligent, successful,embraces their birth gender, humble, has genuine masculinity and does not steal luggage or go topless at a White House event! I knew they were still out there:)

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2023 6:24 PM

R48 is just looking for an excuse to attack non-binary and trans people

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2023 6:40 PM

No R49 . That was a critique of how mass media will publicize the hell out of any mentally unstable ( BPD, Narcissism, sociopathic , ) immature person who loudly proclaims victimhood and Identifies as LBGT+. Where are the media stories on the stable successful Trans people who must be out there? Remember Dr.Renee Richards the Trans tennis pro? Don't think she stole luggage or went topless????

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2023 7:19 PM

R50 is definitely a troll. You recognize the Republican trolls because they demonize Sam Brinton but not George Santos

Pete Buttigieg is a good role model but you all demonize him because he's a Democrat

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2023 7:26 PM

There are only two openly gay former-NBA players -- John Amaechi & Jason Collins. John Amaechi was the first. He came out in 2007, four years after he retired. He received public backlash from some NBA players (looking at you, asshole Tim Hardaway Sr. of "Run TMC"). Jason Collins came out in 2013, a couple seasons *prior* to his retirement, and the public reaction around the NBA was generally positive/supportive.

My point, as it relates to Jags coach Kevin Maxen...

In 2020, Amaechi gave an interview in which he said that he was in contact with some current NBA players who identified as Gay or Bi, but remained closeted. Their fear about coming out publicly is NOT about the reaction of their teammates/other players. Most players just want to win a championship. They don't give a shit what you do in your personal life, as long as you're a good teammate, dedicated to the goal of winning a championship. The closeted players' fears were more what the COACHING staff (and front office) thinks. Those are the people who control how much you play (and get paid)...and that's why players remain closeted.

That is why Kevin Maxen coming out is so important, and should be applauded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2023 10:04 PM

P.S. The NBA does have an openly gay referee -- Bill Kennedy -- who is well-respected & considered one of the best refs in the league. (and we NBA fans bitch about the refs, constantly!)

I'm a lesbian, and even I think Bill is a "hot daddy"! His voice is amazing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2023 10:14 PM

I didn't know the NBA had an out gay ref. That's cool.

by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2023 10:27 PM

I *hate* the kind of stance taken in the tweet at R39. "We don't need to hear about your proclivities and sexual [italic]preferences[/italic]! I don't see why you can't just keep this private and not ram it down our throats all the time." Yeah, because you are clearly so comfortable with this.

by Anonymousreply 55July 23, 2023 10:25 AM

R55 - Unfortunately, if you look at articles about Kevin's coming out over the past week -- whether on social or in the comment sections of the websites themselves, you'll see thousands of comments like that from straight men. The virulently homophobic comments are easy to dismiss. It's the "That's fine, but why does he have to publicize it!" "Who cares?" "That's none of our business", "He wouldn't have announced this if he were dating a woman, so why does it matter?" style comments that are so disappointing. It reminds me that I live in a bit of a progressive bubble.

by Anonymousreply 56July 23, 2023 1:44 PM

[quote]Hmm, I wonder if he was being blackmailed with explicit texts, photos, or clips of him in a sling getting barebacked by 5 white dudes.It had to be one of them.

R47 - while anything is possible, I doubt that was the case here. I mean, he was pretty much already glass closeting. He had pictures with his BF up on his public Instagram well before his official coming out. He was just ready to make it more official (and probably before football season.) Good for him! They seem like a really cute couple.

by Anonymousreply 57July 23, 2023 1:44 PM

Think of all that football cock and ass he's getting to see.

by Anonymousreply 58July 23, 2023 1:47 PM

R58 is why they hate us.

by Anonymousreply 59July 23, 2023 1:53 PM

Excellent points, R52!

by Anonymousreply 60July 23, 2023 8:24 PM

[R11] If the truth be known, there are more NFL players who are closeted than anyone could imagine! A recently retired player (Afro/American) stated that in all the years he played, he knew who was gay, in fact (according to him) the team finds out fast, but they respect their privacy and are accepted unconditionally! He should be believed,as he was with 3 teams before he retired after 15 years in the NFL! He also mentioned that more than a few of the ;closeted players were icons and if the players were ;outed', it would shake up the sports world! One of the big reasons they are reluctant to come out is MONEY! tHEY ARE SPOKEMEN FOR VARIOUS PRODUCTS, making millions, and the image of a sports hero being gay, and associated with the product, would be unacceptable!!

by Anonymousreply 61July 23, 2023 9:10 PM

^ I believe it

by Anonymousreply 62July 23, 2023 9:13 PM

Troy Aikman, Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Carl Nassib, Ryan Russell, Michael Sam, and many more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 23, 2023 9:15 PM

Keith Boykin@keithboykin

[quote] We all know Ryan Russell is not the only gay or bisexual athlete in the NFL. It’s 2019. Let’s create a world where LGBT athletes don’t have to hide who they are to get a job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 23, 2023 9:16 PM

R63 I would also add LA Rams QB Justin Herbert. He gives me vibes.

by Anonymousreply 65July 23, 2023 9:17 PM

R63 - lies!!! Aaron Rodgers is extremely straight

by Anonymousreply 66July 23, 2023 9:25 PM

r61 - I believe it, but why can't you tell us the name of the recently retired NFL player these comments are attributed to? You're not suggesting this was a private conversation between the two of you, are you?

BTW, not attacking you, but who says "Afro American" in 2023?

by Anonymousreply 67July 23, 2023 9:44 PM

[quote]BTW, not attacking you, but who says "Afro American" in 2023?

The elderly R67.

by Anonymousreply 68July 23, 2023 9:57 PM

Has Kevin issued a statement yet, on whether he's a top or a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 69July 24, 2023 2:30 PM

More straight male homophobia

Now they're saying it's "homophobic" for gay men in sports to come out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 25, 2023 11:22 PM

Reverse Psychology, R70.

All of it trying to fuck with us.

by Anonymousreply 71July 25, 2023 11:23 PM

Gjki

by Anonymousreply 72July 28, 2023 3:38 AM

[quote] Gjki

Excellent player.

by Anonymousreply 73July 28, 2023 3:53 AM

He. Is. Fine.

by Anonymousreply 74July 28, 2023 5:22 AM

He was 6' tall in high school when the article at R25 was written, so he may be even slightly taller at this point. The boyfriend is simply a giant.

by Anonymousreply 75July 28, 2023 9:51 PM

[R19] he, obviously is biracial?

by Anonymousreply 76August 2, 2023 8:07 PM

[QUOTE] Florida is in desperate need of out gays and lesbians to counteract the extreme right anti-LGBTQ hysteria ripping through the state.

This isn't a politics thread. Unclench.

by Anonymousreply 77August 2, 2023 8:10 PM

I'm not the person you're quoting, R77, but I am (unfortunately) a Floridian and like it or not a highly visible, openly gay NFL coach coming out of the closet in Florida is a big deal and, in a way, a political act. Anyway, wishing Coach Maxen a great season!

by Anonymousreply 78August 3, 2023 3:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!