Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Zoomer interns at Rolling Stone compile a list of most inspirational LGBT pop songs

It went about as expected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 30, 2023 7:45 PM

Damn right Melissa!

Only 15 of the songs on the list came out before 2000. Out of 50 songs, less than a third came out before the start of the 21st Century.

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2023 11:49 PM

Lol that list is a crock of shit

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2023 11:52 PM

Where the fuck was John Grant?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2023 11:54 PM

Where's "So Many Men, So Little Time."?

Where's "It's Raining Men."?

Where's "You Make Me Feel Mighty Real" by Sylvester?

Where's "I Am What I Am"?

Where's "Love to Love You Baby"?

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2023 12:00 AM

Rolling Stone is trolling again with this crappy list.

Imagine not having I Am What I Am on the list.

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2023 12:03 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2023 12:09 AM

Is Rolling Stone the mag that trolled by leaving off Meryl from their greatest actors list?

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2023 12:10 AM

Holy fuck they didn’t even include Cher

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2023 12:18 AM

I'm a lifelong music enthusiast and yet I haven't purchased a Rolling Stone magazine since before the pandemic lockdown. I purchase several other music magazines monthly , but whenever I look at a RS issue, I see it as a corporate shit show with myopic views, and geared mainly to the Gen Z readers, who of course don't buy physical magazines, and ignoring readers with better and broader music appreciation.

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2023 12:26 AM

Good grief. 12 of the 50 songs on that list were released in the past four years!

by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2023 12:30 AM

[quote] from Lizzo, Kelly Clarkson, Britney Spears, and Lady Gaga – natch — made it, instead.

Natch? Really?

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2023 12:32 AM

And these are the pronouns freaks who have rewritten Stonewall and cosplay oppression.

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2023 12:33 AM

Fuck Jann Wenner with Gaetan Dugas’s dick.

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2023 12:44 AM

I don't even like Melissa or her music, but to see all those straight women on the list and Melissa not included makes me angry. The straight appropriation of gay culture just keeps getting worse and worse.

by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2023 1:38 AM

Rolling Stone should publish a list of its 2,000 stupidest lists.

by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2023 1:42 AM

That list is just embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2023 2:36 AM

Melissa is a "nasty Lesbiana clam-slamming CUNT" The only Amber Heard didn't fuck her is taht Melissa's clam smells like Haddock. Nasty, dirty piece of Lesbiana work!!

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2023 4:35 AM

that should be "The only reason Amber Heard didn't fuck her is that Melissa's clam smells like Haddock"

Edit button OP

by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2023 4:39 AM

Come to my Window makes me feel so damn gay, like I'm gonna make out with a handsome man. Loved Melissa as a gayling, love her now as an old fat gay man.

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2023 4:39 AM

Because, you know, gays and lesbians are so aughts.

by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2023 4:40 AM

Come To My Window is indeed a gay classic. And of course Melissa Etheridge was one of the first big music stars to come out, way back in the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2023 4:41 AM

The list was made by some 23 year old QUEER! intern.

by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2023 4:41 AM

Were the Indigo Girls included? They didn't show up in a word search but maybe the page didn't load.

by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2023 4:42 AM

Rolling Stone is now reporting on the likes of YouTuber Miranda Sings. Just put this publication out if its misery already. What a joke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2023 4:43 AM

All you LGB just haven’t meet the right doctor yet, to make you realize you’re T.

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2023 4:44 AM

I get Gaga. Born This Way really was a game changer. I remember when it came out I was like, "damn, the biggest pop star on the planet just went there". And I say this as someone who does not really liking the song itself. But the message was damn clear and pretty amazing.

But Katy Perry? Gross.

by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2023 4:47 AM

R26 the video is a mixture of Trans imagery with the ideological stance of the lyrics that you’re the person you were “born” to be. It’s a bit of a mindfuck.

by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2023 4:52 AM

When was the last time Rolling Stone wasn't trash? Three decades ago? And good on Ethridge for calling them out. I've always liked her.

by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2023 5:40 AM

Where is YMCA?

Pet Shop Boys, Frankie, Erasure, Dead Or Alive?

And all the lesbian angst albums: kd, Sophie B, Tracy C and Joan A

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2023 5:50 AM

[quote] Where's "So Many Men, So Little Time."? Where's "It's Raining Men."? Where's "You Make Me Feel Mighty Real" by Sylvester? Where's "I Am What I Am"? Where's "Love to Love You Baby

R4 the last one I don't know but the rest of the titles are obviously "transphobic". It's silent censorship.

by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2023 7:16 AM

[quote] The 50 Most Inspirational LGBTQ Songs of All Time

Oh come on. Looking at the RS article the list obviously was compiled by a Gen Z writer with no broader sense of perspective before the Obama presidency.

No Melissa, No Go-Gos. No Indigo Girls for gods sake. And I love her music but Donna Summer was NOT a lesbian hit-maker. I'm certain the only reason Queen made the list at all was that one drag video, not their music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2023 8:29 AM

They only chose songs that were about “Queerness” and made with all the subtlety of a frying pan to the face.

by Anonymousreply 32June 29, 2023 3:24 PM

As with their "Best Postwar Queer Literature," they don't know, or don't want to know, anything about the G contribution to so-called LGBT music. I wonder anew why they insist upon continuing their parasitic relationship with L, G, and B.

I propose adding the letter "D." It can stand for "dullard" or "dumbass."

by Anonymousreply 33June 29, 2023 3:32 PM

Rolling Stone actually used to be an important source of information about music and culture. It's been a long, long time.

This list is absurd.... but it's a list. I wish younger people would have a bit more intelligence about the past, but I guess that's been true for many generations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2023 3:39 PM

That list is blatant homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 35June 29, 2023 4:25 PM

Naturally Lady Fuckface panders her way to #1.

by Anonymousreply 36June 29, 2023 4:30 PM

I scrolled through the list and about 35/50 are solo female artists. The creators of this list went way overboard. It's like they Googled "empowering female pop" and just grabbed a bunch of songs. They think gay men are just into diva worship. Very narrow. As a previous poster said, where's John Grant?

by Anonymousreply 37June 29, 2023 4:32 PM

I'm not a huge Melissa Ethridge fan, but that album is a very good album.

Back when it was released, her coming out would have been a huge mileston in gay visibility. The idea that a song produced today could possibly outstrip such a groundbreaking song and moment is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 38June 29, 2023 4:33 PM

Maybe Melissa's been forgotten for her music, and remembered for being the Jerry Lee Lewis of dykes.

by Anonymousreply 39June 29, 2023 4:39 PM

As the World Turns used "Come to My Window" as Nikki and Ryder's song. It irked me no end that it wasn't Ryder and some boy's song.

by Anonymousreply 40June 29, 2023 4:43 PM

Whoever wrote this list I bet they never even heard of KD Lang.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 29, 2023 4:50 PM

^^^Wait - KD Lang didn't make the list either?

What utter nonsense is this.

by Anonymousreply 42June 29, 2023 4:51 PM

Holy shit they didn't include kd lang.

Wow.

Just wow.

by Anonymousreply 43June 29, 2023 4:52 PM

Right siad Fred? Frankie goes to Hollywood? Prodigy? or is it some Fag's dream wedding DJ song list? Firework? Come the fuck on.

by Anonymousreply 44June 29, 2023 5:17 PM

[quote] Where the fuck was John Grant?

That seems to be a larger question.

by Anonymousreply 45June 29, 2023 5:21 PM

No Jobriath?

by Anonymousreply 46June 29, 2023 5:24 PM

Relax is definitely a gay anthem.

by Anonymousreply 47June 29, 2023 5:24 PM

Ridiculously underinformed. A hundred songs would be more important to "inspirational representation"...

Laura Nyro, Emmie

Byrds, Triad

Kinks, Lola

Kinks, David Watts

Velvet Underground - Sister Ray Bowie, Oh! You Pretty Things

Mott the Hoople. All the Young Dudes

Slade, Good Bye to Jane

Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love

Janis Ian, 17

Pete Shelley - Homosapien

The Smiths - This Charming Man (and 50 other songs)

Etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 48June 29, 2023 5:54 PM

You guys have to understand the kind of people who write these things

Are they young people passionate about music who busted their ass to get an internship at Rolling Stone?

No. They hire SHOSHANNA from GIRLS. Somebody's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 49June 29, 2023 5:56 PM

Not to be hyperbolic, but this is the wort list of anything that I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 50June 29, 2023 5:57 PM

In the magazine's defense, I don't consider Melissa Ethridge, kd lang, et all to be pop music. They're rock and roll, so the list would have been shorter (which means less clicks on the ads Rolling Stone is selling).

by Anonymousreply 51June 29, 2023 6:10 PM

Nevermind, it was OP editorializing in their headline. RS says "most inspirational." The list is shit.

by Anonymousreply 52June 29, 2023 6:11 PM

No B-52s? For shame.

by Anonymousreply 53June 29, 2023 6:38 PM

R27, back then trans people were almost solely of the "I was born in the wrong body" variety. Truly dysphoric. Something I totally supported and empathized with then (and now). I was thrilled her song included trans.

I might be singing a different tune today.

by Anonymousreply 54June 29, 2023 6:39 PM

Supermodel - by RuPaul.

by Anonymousreply 55June 30, 2023 2:04 AM

Is my search function broken, or is there nothing by ABBA on that list? Number One is Lady Gaga's "Born This Way," which was a nice gesture, but didn't really capture the gay (or for that matter queer) imagination the way less literalist songs do. RS would have done better to just copy out the soundtrack to Priscilla and called it a day.

by Anonymousreply 56June 30, 2023 2:30 AM

No ABBA.

I realize what the problem with the list is. The list is written by young people who only interpret a targeted “liberation anthem” as being inspirational to queer people. Thus their inclusion of absolutely wretched songs like Taylor Swift’s “You Need To Calm Down” possibly the most offensive song to gay people in the past decade. Gay people who grew up before rainbow capitalism gravitated to songs which weren’t explicitly about being an oppressed minority. They were about looking hopefulness among melancholy. “Dancing Queen.” “Don’t Leave Me This Way.” “Believe.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 30, 2023 10:50 AM

Whatever they choose to call it, it's a list of supposed LGBT pop songs created by young people that consider themselves "queer."

The amorphous "Q." The all-inclusive "Q." One can shoe-horn any song they would like to under the "Q" umbrella.

Again, no sense of history, and it's always all about them.

Worthless.

by Anonymousreply 58June 30, 2023 12:19 PM

They obviously want nothing to do with L&G culture. So why the parasiting?

by Anonymousreply 59June 30, 2023 3:48 PM

My top 30 would include

George Michael: Outside

Pet Shop Boys: Rent

Frankie Goes To Hollywood: Relax

Erasure: Love To Hate You

Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Dusty Springfield: All I See Is You

Soft Cell: Say Hello Wave Goodbye

The Communards: Never Can Say Goodbye

Will Young: All Time Love

kd lang: Constant Craving

Joan Armatrading: Love And Affection

Queen: The Show Must Go On

Sophie B Hawkins: Damn! I Wish I Was Your Lover

Tracy Chapman: Baby Can I Hold You

The Bangles: Something To Believe In (Michael Steele IS a lesbian isn't she??!!)

Samantha Fox: Touch Me

Tanita Tikaram: Twist In My Sobriety

Hazell Dean: Turn It Into Love

McAlmont & Butler: Yes

Dead Of Alive: You Spin Me Round

by Anonymousreply 60June 30, 2023 7:43 PM

Good list r60!

by Anonymousreply 61June 30, 2023 7:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!