Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite Anchor/Anchorwoman While Growing Up

Could be local, could be national.

I loved everyone at WWLP in Springfield but Beth Carroll was the best, with her big hair and husky voice. She later worked in Hartford and came back to the competition.

Steve Caporizzo was a hot piece in the 80s too.

I can’t stand any of these chirpy young ladies and little twink reporters these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146June 23, 2023 12:28 AM

Sue Simmons.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2023 12:17 AM

Gayle King, who was an anchorwoman on the CBS affiliate WFSB in CT throughout the 80s. She was by far the most popular local news personality in CT, and was locally famous long before Oprah became nationally famous. In CT we knew of Oprah as Gayle King's best friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2023 12:28 AM

Sue Simmons, of course!

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2023 12:29 AM

Jessica Savitch. Peter Jennings.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2023 12:39 AM

Sue Simmons and Chuck Scarborough

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2023 12:40 AM

Susan Audé Fisher (not "Fisher" anymore though)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2023 12:42 AM

Monica Kaufman, WSB, Atlanta

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2023 12:43 AM

The brilliant and entertaining Jessica Savitch.

And Nancy Dickerson, NBC News.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2023 12:46 AM

My boyfriend at the time would make fun of my crush on boyish anchorman Marvin Bartlett from WLEX in Lexington, KY. Such a dork.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2023 12:53 AM

No love for Shelby Scott?

Poor Shelby. Always out there in the crap weather in a big ol’ parka.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2023 12:59 AM

R2 Gayle was great at WFSB. I always thought Denise D’Ascenzo was bland.

Oh and I miss Wendy Rieger in DC.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2023 1:00 AM

Bill Curtis

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2023 1:08 AM

Who was that cross eyed woman from the early days of CNN?

She used to freak me out as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2023 1:12 AM

Steve Caporizzo has been in Albany for years now, OP. He's got the grandpa look now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2023 1:15 AM

Bernie what-his-name from CNN. He was on24/7, I loved him, and now I can't remember his last name.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2023 1:16 AM

[quote]Who was that cross eyed woman from the early days of CNN?

The fabulous Bobbie Batista.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2023 1:17 AM

I loved when I visited my grandparents in Fort Lauderdale that the guy on the news was named Dwight Lauderdale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2023 1:19 AM

Channel 11's own Kaity Tong has been around forever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2023 1:27 AM

That picture is sweetened

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2023 1:40 AM

Bobbie Batista RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2023 1:45 AM

an entire 1/2 hour with CNN Headline News evening anchor Lynne Russell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2023 1:51 AM

I know that Penny Crone had her some DRANKS between takes!

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2023 2:01 AM

Uncle Walter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2023 2:10 AM

Bobbie Batista's wonky eye was mesmerizing. It followed you around the room as you were watching her on CNN. RIP Bobbie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2023 2:14 AM

Michael Tuck of KFMB 8 in San Diego.

He started out as a young man with an impossibly thick head of hair, and a deep voice that seemed like a mismatch with his boyish good looks.

I went looking for pics or videos of him to share here, only to learn that he died last year at age 76.

I also loved his co-anchor, Allison Ross. I found her Insta. She seems to no longer be playing with a full deck, and bears zero resemblance to the pretty brunette I grew up watching.

Anyway, here's a video tribute to Michael Tuck:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2023 2:37 AM

Jim Vance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2023 2:42 AM

I was fascinated by Bree Walker. A 1980s blonde beauty who had ectrodactyly — hands like lobster claws. In her first jobs she had to wear rubber "hands" over her claws, but as she got more powerful she put them aside and you could see her moving papers on her desk with her claws.

Then she and her co-anchor Jim Lampley were revealed to be having an affair while married to other people, destroying their marriages. It was completely obvious on air and the LA Times or LA magazine wrote a big expose on "the city's most public office romance." They eventually got married and moved to New York.

The cheese began to slip off the cracker. New York was a disaster and Bree ended up in San Diego and divorced Jim. Then she had the worst plastic surgery imaginable, completely ruining her pretty face (see link). There was at least one DUI arrest. Incoherent social media postings that sounded like she might be homeless. Her website went dead and she isn't on FB or Twitter. The last public sightings of her were almost 10 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2023 2:50 AM

Whatever Happened to Baby Bree?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2023 2:53 AM

Nationally, it was Jessica Savitch. Locally, in the city I grew up in, Indianapolis. it was WISH-TV's Mike Ahern (link). When I would be visiting relatives in Chicagoland, it was the duo anchors at WBBM CBS 2 Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson and when in NYC it was PIX 11's Pat Harper who co-anchored with her husband Joe Harper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2023 3:03 AM

Jessica Savitch was fierce. She could bitch out the entire newsroom staff in a tirade, rail some lines, and then deliver the news like nobody's business.

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2023 3:06 AM

R29 Pat looked like a tough broad who could knock a few back.

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2023 3:15 AM

Roseanne Scamardella at WABC Eyewitness News in the 1970s. Bruce Springsteen is interviewed before "Darkness on the Edge of Town" concert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2023 3:16 AM

Kim Covarrrrrrrrrrrrubias

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2023 3:17 AM

Randy Price in Boston. I seem to remember him being out in the late 80s/early 90s (grand marshal for 1990 pride?) and he was always so enjoyable to look at.

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2023 3:18 AM

Bill Bonds of WXYZ in Detroit was priceless and a Detroit fixture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2023 3:20 AM

How many anchors had a punk rock song written with them in mind?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2023 3:20 AM

Heads or tails?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2023 3:21 AM

R23 Yep, nationally no one else was close. You just knew he actually understood what he was saying, and he'd tell the truth, no matter what.

Locally, eons ago in local LA news, there was a dashing "old journalist" type I was drawn to. Fedor, trenchcoat, and rocking that moustache. Clete Roberts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2023 3:25 AM

Any elder gays from Chicago remember this golden era?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2023 3:26 AM

Jerry Dunphy and Christine Lund

"From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California, a good evening."

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2023 3:29 AM

Rose Ann Scamardella was the inspiration for Gilda Radner's Roseanne Roseannadanna.

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2023 3:30 AM

WABC New York's Mara Wolynski, who gave the one finger salute live on air. Roger Grimsby's quip was priceless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2023 3:32 AM

Is Don Henley’s Dirty Laundry about Christine Lund or Ann Martin?

Christine was in the middle of the SLA shootout in 1974, ducking gunfire.

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2023 3:35 AM

Paul Moyer and Ann Marin having an expletive ridden argument off the air. Paul was sick of her shit and threatened her with working with Harold Greene!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2023 3:37 AM

Tritia Toyota was honored in a song by the Dickies: "I'm Stuck in a Pagoda with Tritia Toyota."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2023 3:39 AM

R25: At about the same time that Michael Tuck was at KFMB-San Diego, we had Stan Miller. I loved him. R40: Such a pleasant memory of the Southern California of my youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2023 3:42 AM

R45 no shit Sherlock. You’d make a shitty reporter…

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2023 3:43 AM

I forget where i read it but somebody claiming to be the daughter of a KABC anchor or reporter posted on-line somewhere that Christine Lund destroyed her family while she was growing up for carrying on an affair with her father. At link, the SLA shootout mentioned above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2023 3:43 AM

r44 that was hilarious!

Paul Moyer to Ann Martin: "You know, you go home and have a couple of shooters and I don't know what the fuck happens but when you come back you're not the same lady."

😂😂

by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2023 3:52 AM

R48, was her dad Joseph Benti? He and Lund carried on for several years.

by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2023 4:00 AM

R48, can't remember. I do remember though her saying how it devastated her mother.

by Anonymousreply 51June 21, 2023 4:04 AM

Ted Baxter, WJM

by Anonymousreply 52June 21, 2023 4:36 AM

I vividly remember Bree Walker and Jim Lampley - they were on channel 2 and for years I watched Knots Landing on Thursday nights and was glued for the previews. Then Bree Walker would be on for the news. ……I am always an ABC 7 viewer back to Jerry Dunphy, Christine Lund and her hair helmet and Dr. George Fishbeck. Way back when Chuck Henry was on Channel 7 before he move to channel 4.

by Anonymousreply 53June 21, 2023 5:03 AM

In boston I thought local anchor Tony Pepper was very sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 21, 2023 5:24 AM

I’m from the Bay Area & loved zaddy Van Amburg in the ‘70s. Pete Giddings was the best weatherman EVER, his forecasts were never wrong. I was so sad when he left our ABC station, but he’s had a great career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 21, 2023 5:42 AM

R1 Beth was a well known floosie at cheap saloons off of Route 91. She also moonlighted as a stripper. Her successor, Brenda, was also a Madame operating in the Hartford area prior to her turn in journalism.

by Anonymousreply 56June 21, 2023 5:44 AM

Linda Alvarez, KPNX.

by Anonymousreply 57June 21, 2023 5:48 AM

Suzanne Geha!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 21, 2023 5:49 AM

R41, thoroughly debunked. The name was based on The Name Game Song which Radner came up with after finding the wig in a box and creating the character.

by Anonymousreply 59June 21, 2023 6:09 AM

Just read how Jessica Savitch died. Unbelievable. It's like something from a "Final Destination" movie.

by Anonymousreply 60June 21, 2023 6:16 AM

Jack and Liz in Boston

by Anonymousreply 61June 21, 2023 6:28 AM

Bill Beutel in NY was very good-looking. Loved Sue Simmons, too, especially her Chipmunk imitation on Groundhog Day. Can't believe Chuck Scarborough is still broadcasting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 21, 2023 6:49 AM

Hoda Kotb was an anchor in New Orleans and even though she wasn’t a native New Irleanian, she quickly became everyone’s favorite TV anchor. When she left for NBC I wasn’t surprised. But she was getting small segments on the evening news and I kept wondering when she get her shot as an anchor. I was and I wasn’t surprised to see her rise through the ranks to become a Today Show host. She really is as nice in real life as she seems to be.

We both lived in the French Quarter (and I can’t remember what network she was on, but if it was the local CBS, that was right in the quarter as well).

I saw her EVERYWHERE. I got my haircut at a sorta punk rock barbershop where a friend’s wife worked and she was there every time I was there. After a couple times I thought it was really weird and asked my friend’s wife and she said she was there every other day to get her hair styled for her anchor job! They either didn’t have a hairstylist or she didn’t trust the studio one and she picked the strangest place to get her hair done she could have.

And every time I saw her-at the barber shop, at Tower records and video, at a coffee shop, SHE’D stop ME to say hi and ask how I was doing and usually tell a funny story and then she was off! And I asked around and everybody said “oh yeah, she does that to EVERYONE!” She never even knew my name! But I think if I ran into her on the street and she gave me a hug and said “oh my gosh, it’s been so long! How are you?” I wouldn’t be totally shocked. She is the very definition of the best of all of us.

Literally the nicest person on the planet.

But I have a second favorite. Sally Ann Roberts is Robin Roberts sister. I’ve never seen or met her in person. But when Robin was battling cancer it came out that her sister was going to be a bone marrow donor. Without giving it any thought, I went to the local news station website and you could submit an email to any reporter or anchor (they didn’t list their email addresses) and I just shot off an email telling her how I had grown up watching her on TV and that I’d always been a fan and that I loved watching her and her sister and what she was doing was amazing that I hoped everything went well.

Never thought I’d hear back and then out of nowhere, 4 months later she fucking replied. And apologized for not replying sooner! She thanked me, said she’d just got back to work after a hiatus and staying with Robin and that Robin was the amazing one.

I love all thee of them (Hoda, Sally Ann, and Robin) and if I ever heard a rumor about any of them being difficult or bitchy, I’d never believe it. They’re all lovely and kind and while I’ve never communicated with Robin and only had one email with her sister, I think they are all as nice as they come across and I think that might be rare.

by Anonymousreply 63June 21, 2023 6:55 AM

DL fave Jessica Savitch goes nuclear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 21, 2023 6:59 AM

Aw fuck. I have to add another one from New Orleans. Angela Hill. Another French Quarter resident and total New Orleans eccentric. I think she was a beauty queen before she became a news person. She was pretty gorgeous when she was young and always great to watch.

And she walked a pig on a leash through the French Quarter. Beautiful, smart, wealthy, famous woman, walking a pig down the street.

I feel bad for kids in New Orleans, who never would’ve seen her on TV.

by Anonymousreply 65June 21, 2023 6:59 AM

KWQC, (WOC when I was a kid in the '80s) superstars Terry Swails and Paula Sands are both ageless and still going strong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 21, 2023 7:08 AM

Paula Sands!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 21, 2023 7:15 AM

OP I have not thought about Beth Carroll in years! And Dave Madsen, he was on forever. Not hot though.

My sister temped at the ABC station in Springfield as the receptionist one summer. She got all the gossip on the anchors! One of them, a frumpy looking woman, was often drunk on air so she was fired.

My sister was told that woman ended up with the on air job because one day someone did not show up for work so they made her go on, she was a writer or something for the station. If I remember her name I will post it.

And they all did their own makeup in the bathrooms, I thought that was weird. Beth apparently married some rich guy and would lord it over the others.

by Anonymousreply 68June 21, 2023 7:39 AM

OP - wow, is this the first time I was scrolling through DL to see a western MA pic at the start of a thread?

Whatever happened to Beth Carroll? Man did I prefer to that bleach blond Brenda Garton on TV22.

And Dave Madsen is STILL on the air... incredible.

by Anonymousreply 69June 21, 2023 9:37 AM

Former reporter/correspondant Knowlton Nash ushered in a new more modern approach to the CBC's tv news in the 80s.

The National was immediately followed by The Journal, a more in-depth current affairs magazine hosted, among others, by Barbara Frum, whose career was cut short by leukemia at 54.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 21, 2023 9:42 AM

I liked Patti Burns at KDKA in Pittsburgh who anchored the news with her father Bill for a time in the 80s. Sadly she died from cancer at 49 back in 2009.

On the flip side WPXI had an anchor I couldn’t stand who went by the name Edie Tarbox (great name). I remember a Christmas promotion one year where Channel 11 personalities would share a Christmas memory in a 30 second bit that would air during the weeks before the holiday. Edie’s was about how the family would tie a sled onto the back of the pickup truck and drive the kids around in a field when it snowed. Pure white trash. No surprise she went on to Fox News as E.D. Hill later on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 21, 2023 9:49 AM

Linda Yu!

by Anonymousreply 72June 21, 2023 9:59 AM

Huntley Brinkley and Frank Reynolds

by Anonymousreply 73June 21, 2023 10:23 AM

As follow-up to my oher post, here's an unusual interview where Barbara lets her often austere persona and is clearly fangirling over her guest Shirley MacLaine. The in-studio interview was also a departure from the show's signature remote/satellite interviews.

Barbara was also mother to journalist and presidential speechwriter David Frum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 21, 2023 10:45 AM

Joan Lunden and Chatlie Gibson

by Anonymousreply 75June 21, 2023 11:10 AM

Linda Ellerby

by Anonymousreply 76June 21, 2023 11:12 AM

Another from the CT market - Janet Peckinpaugh. She was on channels 8, 3, and 30.

by Anonymousreply 77June 21, 2023 11:28 AM

R69 looks like Beth and her husband run an event space in NH.

She left 22 in a hurry back in the 80s. She was living with the boss, who cheated on her. All went nuclear in that newsroom.

by Anonymousreply 78June 21, 2023 11:33 AM

R44 Any idea what the Paul Moyer/Ann Martin spat was about? Is he accusing Ann of drinking on her dinner break between newscasts? I imagine that could be problematic if true.

by Anonymousreply 79June 21, 2023 12:19 PM

Jason Colthorp back in little Lansing, MI. Now he’s in Detroit.

I always loved his hair for whatever reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 21, 2023 12:44 PM

Tom Ellis on BZ.

by Anonymousreply 81June 21, 2023 1:05 PM

Donna Kelly on CNN. There was a time when CNN anchors were likable, low key people.

by Anonymousreply 82June 21, 2023 1:32 PM

Shelby Scott - I forget the story because I was a kid but wasn’t she going to be let go, because she was getting older, but they couldn’t, so they stuck her outside in storms and did all kinds of things like that, and she did it and ended up being even more popular and respected for it? (Boston)

I also remember (though he wasn’t a favorite) Jack Cole - i think that was his name - who got in trouble for saying “More alleged news after this message.”

by Anonymousreply 83June 21, 2023 1:36 PM

Jack Chase. “So long and make it a good day.”

by Anonymousreply 84June 21, 2023 2:01 PM

Growing up, both Tom Snyder and Tom Brokaw were on the local NBC affiliate in LA. Snyder was already something of a superstar and a diva. He only did the evening news, never doing the late night or early news, and he had his own community show called "Sunday". Brokaw did all of them, even filling in on "Sunday" and he was my fave with his boyish good looks and charm.

by Anonymousreply 85June 21, 2023 2:23 PM

Barbara Budd on CBC always had a soothing voice

by Anonymousreply 86June 21, 2023 2:27 PM

Oh, yeah, Jack Chase. he also did a talk show with Sonya Hamlin, didn’t he?

by Anonymousreply 87June 21, 2023 2:47 PM

^R84

by Anonymousreply 88June 21, 2023 2:47 PM

Another vote for Jim Vance.

by Anonymousreply 89June 21, 2023 3:04 PM

I'm another one who enjoyed the team of Roger Grimsby and Bill Beutel on WABC Eyewitness News in New York. I actually pretty much liked all of the others who worked with them, too. WABC News was my favorite news show when I was growing up.

I loved the intro and outro music, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 21, 2023 3:06 PM

KNBC news in the 60s and 70s was a launching pad for lots of great/famous news reporters:

Bryan Gumbel, Kelly Lange, Jess Marlow, John Schubeck, Chick Hearn, Pat Sajak, David Horowitz

by Anonymousreply 91June 21, 2023 3:07 PM

You can't mention Sue Simmons without including her most famous blooper!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 21, 2023 3:08 PM

R90 that same music was used by all of the major ABC affiliates…not unique to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 93June 21, 2023 3:10 PM

Earl Camembert and Floyd Robertson

by Anonymousreply 94June 21, 2023 3:16 PM

The absolute best: Gwen Ifill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 21, 2023 3:18 PM

Sue Simmons and Jessica Savitch were roommates for awhile. It was understood that they were bumping muffins.

by Anonymousreply 96June 21, 2023 3:24 PM

He was mocked back in the day for various reasons but man, do I love Dan Rather. He’s worth a Twitter follow, for those who are still there.

by Anonymousreply 97June 21, 2023 3:34 PM

R95 To me Ifill was the only one who compared to Cronkite.

by Anonymousreply 98June 21, 2023 3:44 PM

Decades ago a young man named Devin Scillion was an anchor on our local farm-town news channel for awhile. When he left I was devastated.

I recently moved to the Detroit area and sat down the other night and turned on WDIV-TV and there was Devin. Oddly he's aged while I, in true Datalounge form, have not.

by Anonymousreply 99June 21, 2023 7:30 PM

Linda Ellerbee and Lloyd Dobyns (and then Bill Schechner) on NBC's News Overnight. I still remember how incredible that was and it's been 40 years or so. That show kept me out of bars when I was young.

Also, Lynne Russell from Headline News. I'm a Kinsey 6 but man, she was sexy as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 21, 2023 8:09 PM

Dave Garroway

by Anonymousreply 101June 21, 2023 8:20 PM

Ron Burgundy, Channel 4 in San Diego. (I never watched anchored news growing up.)

by Anonymousreply 102June 21, 2023 8:21 PM

Speaking of Snyder, Paul Moyer became something of a joke because he followed Snyder and everyone noted the similarity in their looks and delivery.

by Anonymousreply 103June 21, 2023 8:22 PM

R97 I unfollowed Dan Rather after about a week. Typical "rich neoliberal" bs. Has he ever tweeted about the need to raise the minimum wage, or universal health care?

by Anonymousreply 104June 21, 2023 8:58 PM

[quote]Aw fuck. I have to add another one from New Orleans. Angela Hill. Another French Quarter resident and total New Orleans eccentric.

Also known for her eccentric "fashion" sense. Once a year she would have "Goodwill Week" where all her on-air looks were cobbled together from Goodwill donations as a way to support the charity. "This jacket only cost three dollars, can you believe it?" Yes, darling Angela, we can.

She had a regular feature called "Animal Patrol" which I loved, spotlighting animal shelters, unusual pets, and all sorts of human interest stories involving animals. As mentioned above, she lived in a skyscraper and owned a pet pig.

by Anonymousreply 105June 21, 2023 9:06 PM

Never found out what it was about r44. I do love that he tells her to get her shit together or she will end up working with bumbling ginger Harold Greene.

by Anonymousreply 106June 21, 2023 9:55 PM

R30 her ass would be fired in less than 5 minutes in 2023

by Anonymousreply 107June 21, 2023 10:30 PM

Lynne Russell was gorgeous, she looked like a 1950s movie star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 21, 2023 10:56 PM

Lynne Russell reminded me of Peggy Bundy's cousin who went to finishing school.

by Anonymousreply 109June 22, 2023 12:23 AM

Lyn shur looked like fellow lezzy anne murray

by Anonymousreply 110June 22, 2023 12:26 AM

Cute Tawny Little

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111June 22, 2023 1:05 AM

Tawny was married to John Schneider briefly. My mother couldn’t stand the bitch.

Remember when David Horowitz and sexy John Beard were held at gunpoint live on KNBC’s 4pm newscast?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112June 22, 2023 1:13 AM

See Tawny win…our Bicentennial Miss America

Her big moment is at the 32:00 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113June 22, 2023 1:37 AM

Jane Jayroe, an anchor in OK City and in DFW…Miss America 1967

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 22, 2023 2:20 AM

Lynne Russell was a dead ringer for porn star Annette Haven.

by Anonymousreply 115June 22, 2023 3:33 AM

That's crazy, R112.

[quote]On August 20, 1987, Gary Stollman—the son of former KNBC pharmacy specialist Max Stollman—went onto the news set and demanded consumer advocate David Horowitz to read a manifesto at gunpoint. Horowitz obliged and read various statements, including that Stollman's father was "a double created by the Central Intelligence Agency and alien forces", along with numerous other conspiratorial allegations against the U.S. government. Once Horowitz finished reading, Stollman identified the weapon as an unloaded BB gun and set it down on the desk; Beard reached over and grabbed the weapon as police entered the scene and arrested Stollman.Stollman pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor count of false imprisonment, with a felony charge dismissed.

Darn it. The newscast was off the air when the manifesto was read and the general public never heard about the gunman's father being a double created by the CiA and aliens. Outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 116June 22, 2023 4:20 AM

I grew up watching Maryalice Demler on WGRZ Buffalo. At the time she was on from early to late morning, almost 20 years later she is therr but now on the 11 PM broadcast

by Anonymousreply 117June 22, 2023 4:31 AM

Diann Burns, Linda Yu and Linda MacLennan- the Holy Trinity of Chicago local anchorwomen in the 80s/90s.

by Anonymousreply 118June 22, 2023 5:24 AM

[quote][R30] her ass would be fired in less than 5 minutes in 2023

Ummm...no. Not really.

by Anonymousreply 119June 22, 2023 6:06 AM

Sue Simmons. The FUCK are you doing!

by Anonymousreply 120June 22, 2023 6:26 AM

Alice Blanchard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 22, 2023 6:43 AM

Lisa Laflamme

by Anonymousreply 122June 22, 2023 10:56 AM

Wasn't Christine Lund a dyke?

Tawny used to be on the KABC morning show. She was so moody that it made for hilarious TV. Once she was doing a remote and some guy kept putting his face into the frame. Welllll. Miss Tawny turned to him and in no uncertain terms told him they were doing a live TV show and would he kindly get off the camera. They quickly cut to Christine who said they were having technical difficulties and will be back shortly.

by Anonymousreply 123June 22, 2023 3:58 PM

LOL at R2! Gayle King had that shake and go wig even back then!

by Anonymousreply 124June 22, 2023 4:16 PM

R71 Thanks for posting that! For being a medium size market like Pittsburgh we really had some great anchors and reporters back in the day. Bill Burns was so "Pittsburgh" - like a cranky Walter Cronkite who just wanted a shot and a smoke after he was off the air.

The guys at WTAE - including lush Don Cannon and Paul Long - were, I swear, the inspiration for "Anchorman." And before the staff at WPXI became solid they changed faces so often. They were the ones that got in trouble for calling a house full of burned children "crispy critters." Wait, which one of you bitches worked there??!??

But KDKA really was the prime news source then. We had Marie Torre - aka the reporter that went to jail over the Judy Garland story - for nearly 20 years (sharing her with NYC). And while Pittsburgh was never a bastion of political correctness it had a lot of great women in the field - Patti Burns, Sally Wiggin, Peggy Finnegan, Patrice King-Brown (who was Gayle before Gayle was Gayle) among others.

by Anonymousreply 125June 22, 2023 4:26 PM

PS I saw WPXI's David Johnson at my gym in the late 80s or early 90s.

He had a nice furry bush and a nice show-er of a dick, but what surprised me the most is that the dude was STACKED. Massive biceps and chest. Hot DILF but you'd never be able to tell under his suit jacket. He just looked like a big ole nerd on TV. (His hair was also a bit tragic, sadly.)

by Anonymousreply 126June 22, 2023 4:30 PM

"Anchor/Anchorwoman"

Is that you, Lou?

by Anonymousreply 127June 22, 2023 4:33 PM

[quote] that same music was used by all of the major ABC affiliates…not unique to NYC.

Most stations buy music packages, or used to, as well as graphics, etc.

We've had threads before about the "Hello" song that was modified for every town. The 'feeling in the air that you can't get anywhere except for.....' was, well, a feeling you could apparently get everywhere!

(This was all pre-internet, of course, so few people would ever see this outside of the city it was playing in...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 22, 2023 4:38 PM

Same song but for Milwaukee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 22, 2023 4:38 PM

Not for LA

by Anonymousreply 130June 22, 2023 4:55 PM

Roger Grimsby would have made a great datalounger. He couldn't stand having gossip maven Rona Barrett on a news show and referred to her as Rona Rooter. Once he introduced her segment by saying "and speaking of garbage..."

An interviewer asked him if he ever had an embarrassing moment on air. Smiling, Grimsby responds: Yes, when I mispronounced the word 'count'.....

by Anonymousreply 131June 22, 2023 5:58 PM

She sure did r124. Gayle has never had good wig game.

by Anonymousreply 132June 22, 2023 6:28 PM

That’s her natural hair! Only old, sick or Orthodox women still wore wigs after the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 133June 22, 2023 6:46 PM

Carol Marin in Chicago.

Bitch suffered NO fools!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134June 22, 2023 8:57 PM

I loved Suzanne Suzannadana. That was a chracter based on Sue Simmons that two local NYC shock jocks made up. She sounded like Mammy from Gone With The Wind. Unthinkable today.

by Anonymousreply 135June 22, 2023 11:21 PM

R135. It was unthinkable then. FIFY, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 136June 22, 2023 11:25 PM

Clit Master and Old Dumbass Bitch

by Anonymousreply 137June 22, 2023 11:28 PM

Young Peter Jennings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138June 22, 2023 11:37 PM

And this smug mf'er king of bullshit....

....who I still would have drained until I couldn't drain his balls any more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 22, 2023 11:37 PM

Walter Cronkite.

by Anonymousreply 140June 22, 2023 11:48 PM

"Marvin Zindler, Eyewitness News." "There's slime in the ice machine!!!" Houston, TX, 1980s. (he was the one that shut down the famous Chicken Ranch)

by Anonymousreply 141June 22, 2023 11:52 PM

Never married Alice Blanchard was taken care of by her longtime female friend. She went to the UW before I was there and she was on the local news. My communications professor said that she was always very serious and unsmiling. That caught up to her as audiences found her too cold and the director would order her to smile on the fade. She looked very uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 142June 22, 2023 11:55 PM

MZ Eyewitness News

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143June 22, 2023 11:56 PM

TV hadn’t been invented we gathered around the radio and listened to Amos & Andy

by Anonymousreply 144June 23, 2023 12:00 AM

Bryant Gumbel and Katie Couric. Katie didn't take any of Bryant's guff and she seemed to soften up his rough edges.

by Anonymousreply 145June 23, 2023 12:00 AM

Over on BBC 1 Moira Stuart is my all time favorite newsreader. She was always so cool and had the perfect speaking voice. Apparently the rumors are false. She’s allegedly not a lesbian and was never in a relationship with Pat Butcher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146June 23, 2023 12:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!