Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #529: The Randy Rainbow vs. the Widow Sondheim Edition

Because some of us are waiting for more details on the tea r517 dropped in the last thread.

Plus David Korins' BDF and the 1975 Tony Awards.

by Anonymousreply 601June 24, 2023 4:27 AM

Previous thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2023 6:47 PM

Hard to believe it’s going to be another full year before more Tony award funzies

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2023 6:50 PM

YAWN

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2023 6:59 PM

thread title = meh

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2023 9:20 PM

Did anyone see Harmony off Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2023 9:23 PM

Did Aaron Rodgers enjoy the Tonys?

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2023 9:54 PM

There's a lack of harmony on Broadway these days...

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2023 9:57 PM

You pee melody, r7.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2023 10:00 PM

R7, Hey Dick, Shirley Jones claimed in her autobiography that you tried to fuck her, but she rebuffed you.

Shame on you!

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2023 10:02 PM

Hey Dick, next time bring Vaseline.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2023 10:03 PM

WTF was Rodgers doing at the Tonys of all shows???

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2023 10:19 PM

r11 - cruising

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2023 10:21 PM

R11, He brought another Jets player as his plus one.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2023 10:37 PM

I think we have to assume that it's at least possible that r517 made up his "tea."

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2023 10:38 PM

I think it's more that the other player brought Rodgers as his plus one (making nice with the new QB?) CJ Uzomah was one of the producers of Ain't No Mo, and a Best Play nominee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2023 10:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2023 10:43 PM

Two men attending the Tonys= Gay as pink ink

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2023 10:44 PM

Sigh....we had a brief window of opportunity right after the TONYs to title a new TG thread THE FAGGOT WITH A TONY Edition.

But now that window has closed, alas.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2023 10:47 PM

A hint of bulge from Korins, and what looks like a nice ass at the end...but yeah, he moves like a straight guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2023 10:49 PM

Korins is a talented stage designer, but am I the only one not understanding this onslaught of random DL fanboy lust?

Really AWG, IMHO. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2023 10:57 PM

Post-Tony boredom? There doesn't seem like a wealth of other things to talk about.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2023 10:58 PM

R21, Until another Broadway dick pic leaks.

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2023 11:01 PM

Does anyone care about Here lies love

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2023 11:03 PM

Let's talk Summer Stock!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2023 11:05 PM

Remember back when a handful of TG queens could not stop gushing about how hawt Christian Borle is? Repeatedly.

Christian Borle, who closely resembles Don Knotts--on a good day, IMHO. Then and now.

Mind you., this was at least 6 or 7 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2023 11:06 PM

If anyone wants to produce any videos of Michael Berresse in Broadway Bares back in the 90s (or hell, anyone else. Or Berresse anytime.) that was mentioned at the end of the last thread, happy to talk about that.

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2023 11:08 PM

[quote]Korins is a talented stage designer, but am I the only one not understanding this onslaught of random DL fanboy lust? Really AWG, IMHO. Just saying.

I'm sure it's a combination of factors... He's not a model, but he's handsome. He's in good shape for a middle-aged guy; he obviously works out, but doesn't show off his body much, so he's a tease. He's successful in the industry and nakedly ambitious which suggests there may be a little cockiness there. That, plus the BDF imply he might throw a mean fuck or that he "doesn't mind" getting head from the dozens of gays he encounters every day given how busy his schedule is.

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2023 11:11 PM

Does Broadway Bares stream live anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2023 11:14 PM

R25 - don't think Borle is conventionally attractive, but it was kind of hot when he started working out in the Something Rotten days.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2023 11:14 PM

He was never hot, not even in the Spamalot days.

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2023 11:16 PM

r28, no, you have to attend in person. They did a livestream with past routines during the pandemic, but it's back to the in-person event.

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2023 11:18 PM

[quote]If anyone wants to produce any videos of Michael Berresse in Broadway Bares back in the 90s (or hell, anyone else. Or Berresse anytime.) that was mentioned at the end of the last thread, happy to talk about that.

It seems to have vanished from the internet, r26. It isn't even on the Broadway Bares dvd that year. It was a sight to see. In this interview, he talks about being born with a hip problem, and at 1:45, the camera dips down to his crotch. Berresse, surprised, says "Welcome to my hips!".

Nice guy. Funny, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2023 11:19 PM

I guess this is relatively on topic. Here's the opening number from the pandemic Bares two years ago, featuring Jay Armstrong Johnson, who most identified as the Jay who Michael Arden thanked in his acceptance speech last week (sparking numerous questions about whether they're in a threesome since both have partners).

Johnson gets naked at the end. Looks great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2023 11:23 PM

Thanks, r32. That's a shame...but certainly nice to think about.

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2023 11:25 PM

Just saw Days of Wine and Roses. Kelli O’Hara shows astonishing range and skill, but this story is too dated in its treatment of addiction. Guettel has an approach that is reminiscent of the parts you don’t like about Floyd Collins and Light in the Piazza. There are many people running around and saying things, but only O’Hara and D’Arcy James sing (with a few bits from their daughter). After surviving Shucked and Fat Ham this weekend, I had higher hopes for this. I think it will have the same fate as Far from Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2023 11:25 PM

The Jay Arden referred to wasn't JAJ, it was the hottie sitting next to his husband, Andy Mientus, whom nobody has yet identified.

by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2023 11:27 PM

Days Of Wine And Roses will probably make the move to Broadway, but it will be a very costly mistake.

by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2023 11:28 PM

I liked Days of Wine & Roses (and esp the lead performances). But I cannot imagine they will move it. If Kimberly Akimbo is a tough sell, Days would be impossible.

by Anonymousreply 38June 18, 2023 11:30 PM

BB memories last for all of 20 minutes after the show…then you can head over to a video store on 8th ave. & get your ya-yas out. The scent of ball sweat does NOT linger at BB.

by Anonymousreply 39June 18, 2023 11:35 PM

[quote]I think it will have the same fate as Far from Heaven.

Thus completing Kelli O'Hara's snoozefest trilogy of film-to-stage adaptations—Far From Heaven, The Bridges of Madison County, Days of Wine and Roses.

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2023 12:38 AM

Vicki was out of KA today and J Harrison Ghee missed a few SLIH performances this week. Were they too busy working on their Broadway Bares routines to show up and give their Tony winning performances?

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2023 12:53 AM

David Rockwell is another gay man who pretends to be straight. But no one wants to see him dancing.

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2023 12:56 AM

He’s no longer with his wife, he is now with Jane Krakowski

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2023 1:07 AM

R41, Whatever happened to professionalism?

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2023 1:37 AM

I liked GREY HOUSE. just creepy fun..good acting by Metcalf. Should have opened in the Fall.

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2023 1:46 AM

Does anybody care about the Britney Spears musical?

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2023 2:07 AM

Does anybody care about back to the future?

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2023 2:07 AM

I know he's not hot (an understatement), but what's the general vibe on Harvey Fierstein in the industry? Few can claim such longevity in the industry. Is he well liked? A monster?

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2023 2:09 AM

He's certainly professional.

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2023 2:12 AM

Harvey is not the teddy bear many people imagine him to be.

But he's smart (and nothing like an Ivy League grad) and works hard and seems pretty practical, for someone who started off in the downtown scene. That is how and why he's lasted this long.

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2023 2:36 AM

I've always imagined Harvey to be a no bullshit kind of person. Not necessarily mean for the sake of mean, but more than capable of holding his own in a tough situation.

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2023 2:59 AM

I guess he must be to have worked with Arthur Laurents.

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2023 3:17 AM

Did Back to the Future open yet? I have no idea

by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2023 3:31 AM

Jane Krakowski and David Rockwell? Ooh gurrrrl you could do so much better!

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2023 3:32 AM

I'm sure most DLers will agree with me: how the fuck did Some Like it Hot end up on Broadway?

I didn't dislike the number they did on the Tonys, but it all felt so second-rate I thought I was missing something. Well I listened to the entire cast recording, watched their other TV performances, and I am simply dumbfounded. There is not a distinguished melody anywhere, and most of the songs sound identical. I think Shaiman and Whitman are going for a Cole Porter type of style, but if I want mediocre Cole Porter I could just watch Judy sing "Mack the Black," and not have to leave the comfort of my own home.

Maybe it's just me, but if Some Like it Hot was the best old fashioned musical comedy of this last season, then I'm ready to just renounce being a fan of musicals and retire to my Rodgers and Hammerstein records.

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2023 3:55 AM

Has it run longer than Sugar?

by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2023 3:57 AM

Couldn't agree with you more, r55, but that's the state of Broadway musicals in the 2020s. It'll be interesting to see the box office figures on Tuesday, which will be the first week of the Tonys' possible effect.

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2023 3:58 AM

I'd venture to say that HAIRSPRAY (and a couple of songs on SMASH) remain the best work from Shaiman and Witman.

And HAIRSPRAY was 21 years ago.

I like their commercial, poppy sensibility but they cannot seem to land a decent song anymore. It's too bad.

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2023 4:03 AM

commercial, CAMPY, poppy sensibility ^

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2023 4:04 AM

Is Stephen Schwartz an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2023 4:05 AM

Interesting comments from Mark Rylance. I feel like he may be right about this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2023 4:11 AM

In my limited encounters with Stephen Schwartz, he is a polite and gentle man. Not outgoing but not unfriendly.

I was very impressed to see him in the audience for a teeny-tiny off-Bway revival of The Bakers Wife. (It wasn't especially good or well performed, but Schwartz was respectful and kind throughout the whole ordeal.)

The only tea I can spill is that he was much more vocal about Sondheim being the critics' darling at the expense of other writers during the early 80s.Sometime afterwards he had his enormous successes at Disney and then eventually triumphed with Wicked. Never heard him mention Sondheim again during that time.

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2023 4:19 AM

I'll re-post this Bette interview in this thread. Speaking of unconventional talents...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2023 4:22 AM

R55, Catch Me If You Csn had a better score than Some Like It Hot, especially the version that previewed in Seattle before they ruined it for Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 64June 19, 2023 4:25 AM

Days of Wine and Roses is so bleak, it makes Far From Heaven seem like a lighthearted romp.

by Anonymousreply 65June 19, 2023 5:18 AM

r36, thanks for the clarification. Didn't see him so was going by all the commentary on here and on other boards.

by Anonymousreply 66June 19, 2023 7:31 AM

r46, I was before I saw it. Wasn't expecting art but thought it could be fun. It was too dumb to really be fun.

Based on the box office numbers, looks like interest is minimal.

The best (only good?) part was Jennifer Simard singing Toxic (at 1:35:20). And Ryan Steele being adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 19, 2023 7:38 AM

R67 - probably a mistake to bring that show in now. It feels like it will be directly competing for audiences with & Juliet and perhaps even with Moulin Rouge.

by Anonymousreply 68June 19, 2023 8:11 AM

[quote]So she's retarded as a result of the pony kick.

But it was a musical theater pony kick

Again... Step, kick, kick, leap, kick, touch...

Again... Step, kick, kick, leap, kick, touch... Right!

by Anonymousreply 69June 19, 2023 9:01 AM

[quote]I hope their are plans to put Adrianna DeBlasio and Julie Ann Huff in Chicago as the new Roxy and Velma.

You think Barry's going to pay them worth their while?

by Anonymousreply 70June 19, 2023 9:05 AM

Spelling Julianne Hough as Julie Ann Huff is endlessly hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 71June 19, 2023 9:19 AM

Saw Michael Berresse in Chicago and Kiss Me Kate. A very attractive man. I had not realised he sounded quite so nelly. Dragged and screaming by his mom to the YMCA as a kid? Sure Jan.

by Anonymousreply 72June 19, 2023 9:33 AM

Out of all the rancid junk that has played Broadway, and you wanna question how SLIH made it to Broadway? Haha. Yea ok. Christian Borle and the girl playing Sugar are bad casting choices but other than that the show itself is perfectly fine. I don't get the hate.

I was interested in the Britney Spears musical. Thought it could be silly fun until I saw the cast list. Who in their right mind is still casting Justin Guarini in ANYTHING. This isn't 2002.

by Anonymousreply 73June 19, 2023 11:09 AM

David Rockwell and Jane Krakowski? Who approved this ?

by Anonymousreply 74June 19, 2023 11:11 AM

Also, by the way, Randy Rainbow was at the Spunk party at THE MONSTER drunk off his ass looking old with a roped off VIP area and took home a big latin papi stripper. They were all around him. It was fascinating to watch. Haha.

by Anonymousreply 75June 19, 2023 11:17 AM

Randy Rainbow has a roped off VIP area?

by Anonymousreply 76June 19, 2023 11:20 AM

R76 he did that night. Haha. They do it for other people too. It's very small. And if you know THE MONSTER you know how cheap that shit is. But it was funny watching him trip and stumble around the bar and settling on some hot papi trade. Very crazy look on his face too. Wide crazy eyes.

by Anonymousreply 77June 19, 2023 11:30 AM

R73, the fact Justin comes from the era of Peak Britney is what makes him a smart casting choice. And he actually pulls off the role quite well.

by Anonymousreply 78June 19, 2023 11:41 AM

Thankfully he's almost over and he'll never be on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 79June 19, 2023 11:41 AM

R78 hahaha. NO. No one wanted to watch and listen to him then and they most certainly don't now. He's ugly, fake, and as boring as it gets. Oh and he's old.

He's the Dr. Pepper clown for Pete's sake. Get real. Haha.

by Anonymousreply 80June 19, 2023 11:45 AM

[quote] He's ugly, fake, and as boring as it gets. Oh and he's old.

Look at the second coming of Brooks Atkinson over here at R80 with that brilliant criticism.

by Anonymousreply 81June 19, 2023 11:58 AM

I'm not sure if Rockwell and Krakowski prove or negate Rockwell's sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 82June 19, 2023 12:17 PM

As a Jet fan I'd like to petition to rename the team as the Broadway Jets.

by Anonymousreply 83June 19, 2023 12:22 PM

r73 over on Reddit they are also puzzled about the SLIH hate. I do think that the three leads need to be better cast. I don't think they work especially Borle. They just don't have the right chemistry with each other.

by Anonymousreply 84June 19, 2023 12:35 PM

Some people like dime store Cole Porter, some people don't.

by Anonymousreply 85June 19, 2023 12:42 PM

The movie Some Like It Hot is all about sex. The Broadway musical SLIH is never about sex.

There's the biggest problem.

by Anonymousreply 86June 19, 2023 1:14 PM

I didn't like SLIH either, but also find it a bit confusing anyone could really hate it. It wasn't terrible, just deeply mediocre. Far worse things have made it to Broadway. It's just such a nothing.

Thought Borle was fine, if too old, and can't really blame the lead actress since most of the problems are at the script level. They stripped any personality or humor from the character and made her a victim with slow, sad, boring songs. Don't know how much anyone could do with that.

by Anonymousreply 87June 19, 2023 1:17 PM

[quote] I didn't like SLIH either, but also find it a bit confusing anyone could really hate it.

Allow me to explain…

by Anonymousreply 88June 19, 2023 1:28 PM

R73, Justin was well reviewed and quite good in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 19, 2023 1:28 PM

[quote] They stripped any personality or humor from the character and made her a victim with slow, sad, boring songs.

Present day Broadway in a nutshell .

by Anonymousreply 90June 19, 2023 1:40 PM

Some Like It Hot is so desperate not to offend anyone that all of the loud vulgar fun of a great Broadway musical comedy is squeezed out of it. For a show embracing prohibition drinking, gangsters, cross dressing, and hot hook-ups, it's really mirthless and sexless, for all of its professionalism. I think its biggest problem are the indifferent, personality-free lyrics. The songs have a premise and then spend 3-4 minutes saying nothing. You watch and clap dutifully, but nothing delights. Shaiman and Wittman managed a difficult feat of writing 60s pop pastiche songs in Hairspray that still somehow worked as character songs. But they've had much less success with everything else since and in Some Like It Hot, the lyrics are just words killing time.

by Anonymousreply 91June 19, 2023 1:43 PM

Justin Guarini does a truly spectacular version of "I Talk to the Trees" and a couple of other songs on the Encores PAINT YOUR WAGON. Worth a listen.

by Anonymousreply 92June 19, 2023 1:52 PM

When Some Like It Hot won several of the earlier awarded Tonys, many must have thought it was going to be a bonanza evening for the show.

by Anonymousreply 93June 19, 2023 1:56 PM

[quote] Christian Borle and the girl playing Sugar are bad casting choices but other than that the show itself is perfectly fine.

I support color blind casting, really don't care who they cast in parts but if you are adapting a classic and have an iconic character, they should at least honor it. Marilyn is "Sugar" and should be cast as such. Doesn't have to be a carbon copy but close to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 19, 2023 2:07 PM

Who hates Justin Guarini? He seems like a good sport

by Anonymousreply 95June 19, 2023 2:10 PM

The Britney musical wasn't good, but Guarini was one of the better aspects. Had a lot of charisma and pulled off the choreography in all his dance numbers with ease. I thought the choreography was a frantic mess and kind of stupid, but that's a separate issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 19, 2023 2:14 PM

Justin Guarini has, like Corbin Bleu (another refugee from bad early aughts television), proven his worth on the stage over the years. I would say anyone casting him today is doing so because of his talent more so than any fleeting name recognition.

by Anonymousreply 97June 19, 2023 2:17 PM

Yeah Guarini's been doing musical theatre for over 20 years, he's not exactly some tiktok schmuck from reality tv.

by Anonymousreply 98June 19, 2023 2:18 PM

Like this song and the choreography made no sense in the context of the story (the fairy tale characters go on strike...and do this to kick off Act II. But why? Presumably they're driving the prince and the narrator crazy, so why aren't they singing the song? How are the fairy tale princesses being driven crazy?). And the hand gestures at 1:20 are just bizarre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 19, 2023 2:22 PM

R26 I saw the Berresse video way back when. I don't remember the song, but it was fun and he looked hot.

My favorite part was the end when he turned his back and pulled off his dance belt, then exited with the strap of it stuck in his butt and waving in the breeze as we walked off.

Sorry the video has disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 100June 19, 2023 2:26 PM

Does Britney Spears even know about her new musical?

by Anonymousreply 101June 19, 2023 2:26 PM

Supposedly. I'm sure the producers knew they had to cover themselves to avoid pissing off her fans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 19, 2023 2:40 PM

The poster above is right - hairspray was all about sex - SLIH has zero

by Anonymousreply 103June 19, 2023 2:41 PM

Michael Berresse was an excellent Billy Flynn and I'm surprised Chicago has never asked him back. Or maybe he didn't want to go back. Anyway, he was one of the best Billy's I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 104June 19, 2023 2:41 PM

Berresse is a good triple-threat performer: a decent actor as well as dancer (outstanding) and singer (he's fine). ( thought he was very good in the Encores MACK & MABLE.) He was pursuing film and TV work more aggressively back in the day but with mixed results.

by Anonymousreply 105June 19, 2023 2:52 PM

Those rehearsals show off the dancer’s technical training very well, and I get it in the context of a jukebox musical. Yet, it all seems so stale and dated….and as if the producers asked AI Chat to channel Bob Fosse through MTV with a TikTok twist.

by Anonymousreply 106June 19, 2023 3:12 PM

Here I was, just thinking to myself, you know what would make a great musical?

THE THIRD MAN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 19, 2023 3:18 PM

Menier Chocolate Factory is also doing this. I am so here for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 19, 2023 3:20 PM

Has anyone done a musical of The Fourth Man? I would go to that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 19, 2023 3:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 19, 2023 3:21 PM

I never miss a Graham Greene musical.

by Anonymousreply 111June 19, 2023 3:23 PM

R105, Michael Berresse and Beth Leavel stopped the show at No, No, Nanette/Encores!.

by Anonymousreply 112June 19, 2023 3:29 PM

A bunch of Justin Guarini shrills? 😭🤣 OR someone liking all his OWN comments. lmao. Who knew.

You guys are still brain dead..haha..

by Anonymousreply 113June 19, 2023 3:30 PM

Beath Leavel was no Helen Gallagher.

by Anonymousreply 114June 19, 2023 3:31 PM

^Beth

by Anonymousreply 115June 19, 2023 3:32 PM

R113 = Kelly Clarkson in full dom mode

by Anonymousreply 116June 19, 2023 3:32 PM

R114 has bad Beath.

by Anonymousreply 117June 19, 2023 3:33 PM

r113, yes, just a bunch of "shrills."

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 118June 19, 2023 3:34 PM

[quote]You guys are still brain dead..haha..

Well, r113, you liked Grey House, so...

by Anonymousreply 119June 19, 2023 3:34 PM

R119 exactly..so what now?...R118 Do you nut everytime you say or type "oh dear*? Haha. Must be the only time you time you nut. 🤭

by Anonymousreply 120June 19, 2023 3:40 PM

You'll all think less of me but I will confess: I went into Once Upon a One More Time with my arms dutifully folded, and around the time Jennifer Simard and the stepsisters launched into "Work Bitch," I surrendered to it and had fun. It's not a world beater, it's deranged and stupid, but I had a better time at it than at &Juliet.

by Anonymousreply 121June 19, 2023 3:40 PM

They seem to have the same black actress in the leads of SOME LIKE IT HOT, NEW YORK, NEW YORK and & JULIET, but only the later didn't come off as generic. Guess that's why she got the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 122June 19, 2023 3:43 PM

Do you nut every time you type Haha, r120?

by Anonymousreply 123June 19, 2023 3:43 PM

R121 At least you can admit it in some form, but that's also disturbing because they're both lousy shows. And proof no one should be questioning a lengthy and successful run for shows like SLIH, SHUCKED, and KIMMY AKIMBO. R122 YUP R123 oh you're so brilliant. 👋👋👋 Bravi, Bravi, bravissimi..

by Anonymousreply 124June 19, 2023 3:50 PM

Some Like It Hot is sad, inept trash.

by Anonymousreply 125June 19, 2023 3:54 PM

Pics of all this nutting please.

by Anonymousreply 126June 19, 2023 4:40 PM

I knew an old boyfriend of Rockwell who remained friendly with him and his first wife.

Rockwell started out as a designer for restaurant chains.

Then he converted to a different kind of design and a different sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 127June 19, 2023 4:45 PM

David Korins used to be a total pussyhound. Ask all those cheerleaders in BRING IT ON.

by Anonymousreply 128June 19, 2023 5:02 PM

I never cease to be unamused by the “ I never miss a [insert name here] musical” troll.

by Anonymousreply 129June 19, 2023 5:31 PM

[quote]I didn't like SLIH either, but also find it a bit confusing anyone could really hate it. It wasn't terrible, just deeply mediocre.

What's confusing? I think the show is terrible insofar as the book and the overall concept make zero sense because they tried to graft contemporary sensibilities about race, gender identity, etc. onto a story that's still set in 1929, and the result is a tremendous, ridiculous mess.

by Anonymousreply 130June 19, 2023 5:33 PM

I never miss an R129 post.

by Anonymousreply 131June 19, 2023 5:37 PM

[quote]Michael Berresse was an excellent Billy Flynn and I'm surprised Chicago has never asked him back. Or maybe he didn't want to go back. Anyway, he was one of the best Billy's I've ever seen.

Charles Isherwood agrees with you, r104. In a New York Times article on replacement casts, he says this:

[quote]Michael Berresse, a journeyman Broadway hoofer when I caught him in the show, was the best Billy Flynn of the good half-dozen I saw over the years.

I also loved Tom Hewitt as Flynn and was happy to see that he has taken over the role of Hades in Hadestown. Hewitt is another good actor who I always felt should have had more success.

[quote]Berresse is a good triple-threat performer: a decent actor as well as dancer (outstanding) and singer (he's fine). ( thought he was very good in the Encores MACK & MABLE.) He was pursuing film and TV work more aggressively back in the day but with mixed results.

There was a short period of time where he was being typecast as an assassin, r105 - in one of the Law & Orders, The Bourne Legacy, and State of Play. He is more prominent in SoP's trailer than his fellow actors are, albeit in fleeting glimpses and as a shadowy figure.

I agree with your assessment of his talents, and every point can be seen in this clip. Can you imagine doing this 8 times a week?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132June 19, 2023 6:06 PM

Tom Hewitt should be a big Broadway star.

by Anonymousreply 133June 19, 2023 6:32 PM

Can someone clever than me link Justin Guarini's "I Talk to the Trees" to please to show r113 what an ass-wipe he is?

by Anonymousreply 134June 19, 2023 6:34 PM

R94, on the contrary, Monroe is such a huge iconic presence that it would be hard for any actress to not be overshadowed by her as Sugar. Any waify vulnerable blond in the role, however good, would be seen as a poor substitute for Monroe.

They had to make the character unlike Monroe for any actress to have a chance with it. Making her black was an obvious move. However, that is not enough. The creators of the production never bothered to give Sugar any character qualities that would make her a compelling character,

by Anonymousreply 135June 19, 2023 6:38 PM

r134, why bother? It's not like he'd bother watching it. He's too busy hunting for "shrills."

by Anonymousreply 136June 19, 2023 6:53 PM

For those wondering how on earth Adam Godley ended up the Britney Spears musical, nice article about him and his partner, who wrote the show. They sound like a nice couple...even though the book is the worst thing about the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 19, 2023 6:56 PM

[quote]Can you imagine doing this 8 times a week?

Nope, r132, absolutely not.

by Anonymousreply 138June 19, 2023 6:58 PM

Would Baresse's Bianca dance be considered a Coup de théâtre? I think so.

by Anonymousreply 139June 19, 2023 7:00 PM

Oh for chrissakes...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140June 19, 2023 7:00 PM

[quote]Would Baresse's Bianca dance be considered a Coup de théâtre?

It would be considered...gymnastics.

by Anonymousreply 141June 19, 2023 7:02 PM

Speaking of Graham Greene, I wonder if Travels With My Aunt has ever been considered for musicalization.

by Anonymousreply 142June 19, 2023 7:05 PM

Rockwell still does lots of hospitality work. It's very much his bread and butter, so to speak.

I have a friend who knew him when who says DR was absolutely gay as a young man. Has Krakowski bearded for other closet cases?

by Anonymousreply 143June 19, 2023 7:09 PM

R134 R136 hi Justin. You dizzy fag..

by Anonymousreply 144June 19, 2023 7:16 PM

The historian Walter Lord wrote lyrics for Anton Karas' popular "Third Man Theme." It will be hard for the musical's composer George Fenton to top that unforgettable zither score from the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145June 19, 2023 7:32 PM

From zither to yawn.

by Anonymousreply 146June 19, 2023 7:35 PM

R142 They did it at Chichester in 2016.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147June 19, 2023 7:36 PM

Awww, Patricia Hodge.

by Anonymousreply 148June 19, 2023 7:46 PM

R137 - thanks for the article. I had no idea Godley had that kind of connection to the production and sat through Once Upon a One More Time, feeling sorry for his career falling off a cliff after a (presumably) more prestigious role in The Lehman Trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 149June 19, 2023 8:15 PM

Justin Guarini singing "Another Autumn"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150June 19, 2023 8:20 PM

Thanks, r147. Had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 151June 19, 2023 8:28 PM

[quote]I support color blind casting, really don't care who they cast in parts but if you are adapting a classic and have an iconic character, they should at least honor it. Marilyn is "Sugar" and should be cast as such. Doesn't have to be a carbon copy but close to her.

I agree!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152June 19, 2023 8:35 PM

[quote]I'm sure most DLers will agree with me: how the fuck did Some Like it Hot end up on Broadway?

Quite a provocative statement R55 for someone who apparently DID NOT SEE THE SHOW!!!

by Anonymousreply 153June 19, 2023 9:05 PM

Not since Roger Rees did Addams Family

by Anonymousreply 154June 19, 2023 9:44 PM

[quote]I think the show is terrible insofar as the book and the overall concept make zero sense because they tried to graft contemporary sensibilities about race, gender identity, etc. onto a story that's still set in 1929, and the result is a tremendous, ridiculous mess.

They did the same thing with the recent KING KONG musical, which still took place in the 1930s. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 155June 19, 2023 10:13 PM

Here is audio of Justin Guarini singing "I Talk to the Trees" very beautifully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 19, 2023 10:29 PM

[quote]hi Justin. You dizzy fag..

Are you, ya know, mental?

by Anonymousreply 157June 19, 2023 10:35 PM

[quote]I support color blind casting, really don't care who they cast in parts but if you are adapting a classic and have an iconic character, they should at least honor it.

So it doesn't work for you if they don't "honor" an iconic FICTIONAL character, but you're okay with it if the role of historical figures who were white are cast with POC? Or if characters who are supposed to be members of the same biological family are cast with actors of various races? Or if characters who would never, ever have been POC in real life, like a sheriff in a small southern town in the 1950s, are cast with POC? And so on and so on?

by Anonymousreply 158June 19, 2023 10:36 PM

Justin Guarini sounds lovely on those Paint Your Wagon tracks.

I went down a Lerner & Loewe Wikipedia rabbit hole because, beyond My Fair Lady and Gigi, I don't really know their work. Was said to read that, at the end of his life, Lerner owed the IRS $1 million and couldn't even afford his lung cancer treatment.

by Anonymousreply 159June 19, 2023 11:01 PM

R159 you could have been on Jeopardy! ;)

by Anonymousreply 160June 19, 2023 11:18 PM

Couldn't Loewe lend him the money?

by Anonymousreply 161June 19, 2023 11:44 PM

I still can't believe someone named a thread after Randy Rainbow.

by Anonymousreply 162June 19, 2023 11:53 PM

I just subjected myself to Randy Rainbow's podcast because I saw that Berndette was his guest and I figured a theatre person wouldn't ask her the same boring 5 questions she gets in every interview. Meh. It was moderately interesting. I mean, where else would you hear Bernadette talking about The Goodbye Girl? But, I feel like he could have actually prepared more and done some deeper dive questions that only true theatre fans would care about.

by Anonymousreply 163June 19, 2023 11:57 PM

R159, Alan Jay Lerner was married eight times, with the alimony he had to pay the first seven leaving him in deep debt.

by Anonymousreply 164June 20, 2023 12:14 AM

For chrissakes, r163, didn't he ask her about Betty Hutton???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165June 20, 2023 12:28 AM

I would agree with the poster above who said 'Catch Me If You Can' was Shaiman/Wittman's 2nd best score to 'Hairspray' -- particularly the pre-Broadway version which had that delightful Sinatra pastiche '50 Checks' that Wopat sang. The whole show had a stronger feeling of the Rat Pack era before they went in with a hacksaw and sucked the mojo out of it on Broadway. Shaiman clearly loves that 50s and 60s big band swing sound...but unlike 'Catch Me', there's no 'edge' to 'SLIH' that they could play into. Those pop standards of that era all had a little cheeky 'glint in the eye' to them. 'Some Like It Hot' plays it far too earnestly for any of this to be played into.

Of course, a lot of the blame can also be placed on uninspired book writing and a general feeling that the creators LOATHED the original source material (or at least wanted to telegraph they do for woke points!) There's also the problem of underwhelming casting in the central 3 roles. Borle and Ghee are simply proficient. There's no star quality or SPARK to any of those performances. And 'Sugar' herself is the weakest, least charismatic link.

You can argue they're given very little to work with, but we've all seen no shortage of 'star turns' in lesser vehicles that make us forget we're watching a shlockfest (Nathan Lane in 'Addams Family' anyone?). This was also true 50-60 years ago with the Mermans, Martins and countless other stars that would elevate B and C-grade material.

by Anonymousreply 166June 20, 2023 12:35 AM

R157 No, but you definitely are. Liking your own comments and listening to Justin Guarini. Lmao. Loser.

by Anonymousreply 167June 20, 2023 1:09 AM

And now - the fabulous Olga San Juan in Paint Your Wagon! Take that, Justin Guarini!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168June 20, 2023 1:15 AM

Just found this on YouTube. One of my favorite shows!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169June 20, 2023 1:19 AM

RIP Paxton Whitehead. Truly one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 170June 20, 2023 1:26 AM

I worked with the wonderful Marcia Gilford, may she rest in peace. She started out in the ensemble of the Betty Hutton tour but moved into the Tessie Tura role when Marian Mercer left. She said Bernadette was lovely but could not say anything good or bad about Hutton. Whenever asked she just shook her head. I've heard from others that she was an absolute nightmare but Marcia had too much class to say anything negative so she said nothing at all.

by Anonymousreply 171June 20, 2023 1:31 AM

Randy Rainbow did ask Bernadette if she was friends with Barbra Streisand. She answered they are friendly but not friends.

I think her only show business friends are Carol Burnett and Mary Tyler Moore.

I don’t think she is “friends” with anyone else in the business

by Anonymousreply 172June 20, 2023 1:43 AM

If the Seattle try out of CATCH ME IF YOU CAN was so great, why were all those bad changes made?

And does anyone know why the fabulous Bob Mackie, who designed the costumes for the try out, parted with the production and was replaced by William Ivey Long (at his most careless) for Broadway? It must have been a huge expense to have to replace all the costumes, as well as a new designer fee.

I know Aaron Tveit gets a lot of grief here but I'd always been a big fan.....until seeing him in CMIYC, in which he was a sexless cipher with no sense of danger.

by Anonymousreply 173June 20, 2023 1:45 AM

Aaron Tveit's role in NEXT TO NORMAL exploited his few strengths, but every major role he has had since then has only displayed his severe limitations.

by Anonymousreply 174June 20, 2023 2:45 AM

R165 - Ha. No, he did not. But, anyway, thank you for linking to that blog! I read the entire (very long) post you linked to and found if fascinating. Bernadette always seems so guarded and cautious in interviews that I kind of assumed her life was kind of boring and that, unlike Patti, perhaps she didn't need a memoir. But, it seems, occasionally, she's let that guard down, based upon some of those quotes in the blog post. That story she recalls about being at the bottom of a swimming pool and not knowing if she was drowning or not and that off-handed quip about shooting herself if she hadn't discovered show business suggest a darker and more complex... sense of humor. Interestingly, when Randy asked her about manifesting success and then asked her about whether she was an innately positive or optimistic person, she said she was not.

I get the impression she'd never do it, but I think she could have a very interesting memoir... especially if she were very candid and open in the writing.

by Anonymousreply 175June 20, 2023 3:00 AM

[quote]I think her only show business friends are Carol Burnett and Mary Tyler Moore.

Hasn't anyone told her that Mary's no longer with us?

by Anonymousreply 176June 20, 2023 4:12 AM

R173, I believe there was a concerted effort to beef up Norbert’s role prior to advancing from Seattle to Broadway, which was basically a featured role in Seattle.

It won Norbert a Best Actor Tony, but the show was nowhere near as good as it had been in previews.

There’s an excellent quality boot in circulation of the Seattle version that proves my point.

by Anonymousreply 177June 20, 2023 6:44 AM

R172, Bernadette and Steve Sondheim were besties.

by Anonymousreply 178June 20, 2023 6:47 AM

[quote]Alan Jay Lerner was married eight times, with the alimony he had to pay the first seven leaving him in deep debt.

Lerner's eight wives included actress Nancy Olson, who was nominated for a best supporting actress Oscar for her role in "Sunset Boulevard." Olson is still alive and will turn 95 in July.

by Anonymousreply 179June 20, 2023 7:21 AM

R179, He also had an affair with Jean Kennedy Smith, JFK’s sister.

They planned to both leave their spouses, but AJL backed out of the agreement, humiliating Jean.

by Anonymousreply 180June 20, 2023 7:54 AM

AJL was MESSY

by Anonymousreply 181June 20, 2023 8:00 AM

I saw an interview with Nancy Olson once about Sunset Boulevard. She said for the scene where she had to kiss William Holden, Wilder told them before the shoot that he wanted them to hold the kiss. He said it would be for much longer than they expected because of some trick he wanted to do with the camera, but they shouldn't stop until he said "Cut!"

However, they stopped before that because someone else yelled "Cut!" It was Mrs Holden.

by Anonymousreply 182June 20, 2023 8:03 AM

Bernadette was left completely broken-hearted by Steve Martin and refuses to discuss anything about him.

by Anonymousreply 183June 20, 2023 10:35 AM

R183 what did he do?

by Anonymousreply 184June 20, 2023 10:35 AM

He smeared peanut butter on his asshole and had her collie lick it off.

by Anonymousreply 185June 20, 2023 10:39 AM

R184, They were a couple for years in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 186June 20, 2023 10:43 AM

It did not end well.

by Anonymousreply 187June 20, 2023 10:56 AM

She spoke about him to Randy Rainbow. Well... not about their romantic life, but about The Jerk and Pennies from Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 188June 20, 2023 11:39 AM

Bernadette told Randy that she and Steve Martin are on friendly terms. I do think it’s interesting that she said she’s not naturally an optimist.

I do feel like the tragedy is she and Patti could have been friends with all of their shared history.

They could have gone the Mary Martin / Ethel Merman route. But alas, twas not to be!

by Anonymousreply 189June 20, 2023 11:46 AM

I get the feeling that Bernadette is not all that bright. Do we know anything about her romantic life after the death of her husband?

by Anonymousreply 190June 20, 2023 11:49 AM

[quote]I get the feeling that Bernadette is not all that bright

How do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 191June 20, 2023 11:51 AM

R190 - I actually get the opposite impression; that's she's brighter and more interesting and complex than she lets on. I think she takes a bit of the Dolly Parton approach of keeping her private life and views well guarded while remaining a consumate entertainer.

When Randy asked her if they could potentially collaborate again in the future she said she'd love to if the topic/timing was right... and wanted to know right away what the subject matter would be. Randy quickly interjected that it would never be anything she wasn't comfortable with. Unlike Patti one doesn't get the impression that Bernadette wishes to get overly political... publicly.

by Anonymousreply 192June 20, 2023 11:56 AM

....and speaking of Randy, we still haven't had an explanation of that poster's statement that he and the Widow have fallen out.

by Anonymousreply 193June 20, 2023 12:00 PM

would anyone have cared about a Petti. & Bermadettte one-night-only akin to Julie & Carol at Carnegie Hall? Angie & Bernie? Or are those simpler times behind us, much like Michael Baresse is behind Jeff Bowen

by Anonymousreply 194June 20, 2023 12:05 PM

Whoever wrote that Tumblr piece about Bernadette should never write another word (and buy a good dictionary).

by Anonymousreply 195June 20, 2023 12:12 PM

R184 Just being his sexy cute self. He dicked her down with his big dick and made her laugh too. Then moved on to some new tail. Leaving her broken hearted.

by Anonymousreply 196June 20, 2023 12:51 PM

Lot of 12 year olds posting this morning.....

by Anonymousreply 197June 20, 2023 12:56 PM

R194, it wasn't a simpler time, just a different time. When Ethel Merman and Mary Martin did that special evening concert at the Shubert they were doing it for their fans, and I'm pretty confident when I say most of them are dead.

If Patti and Bernadette did something similar they would easily sell out, but solid 25% of the audience would be DLers.

by Anonymousreply 198June 20, 2023 1:13 PM

Very awkward reunion when Steve Martin attended the opening of The Goodbye Girl to cheer on his friend Martin Short. Like poor Bernie wasn't miserable enough playing a dancing french fry.

by Anonymousreply 199June 20, 2023 1:29 PM

I didn't see SLIH.....but if they'd gotten Megan Hilty - Broadway's premiere Marilyn Monroe - to play Sugar, do you think it would have helped the show and the cast chemistry?

The video I saw of her doing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was terrific thanks to her performance....

by Anonymousreply 200June 20, 2023 1:45 PM

I admire Steve Martin's talent--the longevity of his career speaks for itself.

But he seems like a disaster personally. I know nothing of Anne, his current wife of 16 years. His ex, Victoria Tennant, once described him as "depressive and incredibly dull." I get the impression he's narcissistic and competitive and not as nice as he seems. A bit like Jerry Lewis, but masquerading as a goofy, lovable clown.

Just my two cents. A lot of funny straight men I've encountered are really fucked up, more so than funny women.

by Anonymousreply 201June 20, 2023 1:51 PM

R200 they could have publicized that she played Marilyn on that TV series SMASH.

by Anonymousreply 202June 20, 2023 1:51 PM

I like Megan Hilty but at 42, she is aging out of Sugar/ingenue roles.

by Anonymousreply 203June 20, 2023 1:52 PM

r201, I worked with Steve Martin and while I can't say I got to know him very well, your assessment of him is spot-on from what I observed.

by Anonymousreply 204June 20, 2023 1:58 PM

In other news, the shark is broken.

WHET that Jaws musical, BRUCE (I think)?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205June 20, 2023 1:58 PM

This was just after “Good Will Hunting” was released, he was most likely back in Cambridge for Christmas.

The Harvest was the restaurant, not sure if it’s even there anymore.

by Anonymousreply 206June 20, 2023 2:03 PM

^Sorry about that.

by Anonymousreply 207June 20, 2023 2:04 PM

The right way to cast Sugar in SLIH is not to emulate Marilyn's looks, nor to run from them.

Marilyn was already a star and a sex symbol before she was cast in SLIH. What you want today, for a musical, is a pop or rock star who is already celebrated for being sexy. Madonna would have been perfect in the 1980s. It's not a role that requires huge acting chops, just a lot of charisma and the capacity to be playful. I don't know what's out there today, but that's what they should be looking for. There are probably a few pop stars who would be delighted to be in a prestigious Broadway musical and be in one spot for a whole season.

by Anonymousreply 208June 20, 2023 2:04 PM

R205, Colin Donnell and his mini-cock?

by Anonymousreply 209June 20, 2023 2:06 PM

Justine Guarini is a pleasant singer but so bland.

I would never be able to pick out his voice from a line-up

by Anonymousreply 210June 20, 2023 2:06 PM

She prob wouldn't commit to a long Bway run, R208, but Adriana Grande would have been a good pick for Sugar.

Whatever DL thinks of her or her voice, Grande would have packed the theatre with her fans--mostly young, mostly female, mostly unfamiliar with the classic movie. For whatever reason, this seems to be the demographic of choice for current Bway producers.

I think SLIH should definitely have gone for recognizable names.

by Anonymousreply 211June 20, 2023 2:11 PM

Was Marc Blitzstein the only Broadway composer to be murdered?

by Anonymousreply 212June 20, 2023 2:19 PM

I do remember Sondheim saying in an interview that his husband and Rainbow were friends. One assumes the hint being given here is that after Sondheim died (or maybe even before), Rainbow and Romley were an ITEM, and now that's over.

by Anonymousreply 213June 20, 2023 2:24 PM

Well, there have certainly many who have wanted to kill Frank Wildhorn.

by Anonymousreply 214June 20, 2023 2:25 PM

Did Sondheim ever comment on Randy Rainbow's songwriting (or "songwriting") ability?

by Anonymousreply 215June 20, 2023 2:26 PM

I think Romley was a producer/manager for Rainbow's live shows.

by Anonymousreply 216June 20, 2023 2:27 PM

I seem to remember Sondheim raving about Rainbow's schtick.

I love Stephen and revere his work but sometimes his taste was shit.

He loved Randy Rainbow and the Tim Burton version of "Sweeney."

by Anonymousreply 217June 20, 2023 2:29 PM

See below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218June 20, 2023 2:29 PM

Coffee and Andy!

by Anonymousreply 219June 20, 2023 2:31 PM

R218, good catch. Interesting that Romley was a producer the first three years, but not the most recent one...

by Anonymousreply 220June 20, 2023 2:37 PM

R215 [Quote]He has also caught the eye and ear of musical theater giants who applaud his clever concoctions. Broadway composers including Andrew Lloyd Webber and Stephen Schwartz have communicated their fandom directly. Stephen Sondheim, arguably the god of Broadway musical theater, spends a half-hour on the phone telling me that Rainbow’s lyrics are “brilliant” and “as good as anyone writing today.”[/quote]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221June 20, 2023 2:43 PM

And yet Sondheim's lifelong contemporary, lyricist Fred Ebb famously said that Sondheim deigned to address him exactly once to give him (grudging) praise on one of his lyrics.

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 222June 20, 2023 2:47 PM

[quote]One assumes

Not this one, r213...

by Anonymousreply 223June 20, 2023 2:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224June 20, 2023 2:50 PM

The Steve Martin discussion overlooked his brief relationship with Anne Heche, as well. Which apparently also did not end well.

He was a gorgeous man in his prime, though. And seriously packing.

by Anonymousreply 225June 20, 2023 2:53 PM

Sondheim could be bitchy.

I recall an interviewer asking him if he was ever resentful that his shows were not as financially successful as those of Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Sondheim replied, “Well, I would like to compose scores that I could be proud of”.

Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 226June 20, 2023 2:56 PM

Justin Guarini is talented and is supposedly well-hung.

by Anonymousreply 227June 20, 2023 2:57 PM

R225 In fact, Heche inexplicably hooked up with Ellen DeGeneres shortly after her breakup with Martin.

by Anonymousreply 228June 20, 2023 2:59 PM

R226 - According to Harvey Fierstein, John Bucchino told him he was once at Sondheim's townhouse and Sondheim opened his utility bill (presumably it was either winter or summer when utilities would be higher) in front of Bucchino and yelled "who the fuck do they think I am, Jerry Herman??"

by Anonymousreply 229June 20, 2023 3:02 PM

She had a type, R228.

She liked depressive, morose, self-involved comics with interesting hair.

by Anonymousreply 230June 20, 2023 3:16 PM

[quote]And yet Sondheim's lifelong contemporary, lyricist Fred Ebb famously said that Sondheim deigned to address him exactly once to give him (grudging) praise on one of his lyrics.

That makes sense, seeing as there was probably professional jealousy at play—more people know Cabaret, Chicago, and the theme from New York New York than know anything by Sondheim. Randy Rainbow posed no threat. I don't think artists are ever really able to see their contemporaneous rivals with completely clear eyes.

by Anonymousreply 231June 20, 2023 3:20 PM

Are we sure that's all true? I thought Sondheim and Kander were good friends?

by Anonymousreply 232June 20, 2023 3:22 PM

And, yes, I know Kander and Ebb were two different men and just because Sondheim was friends with one, it didn't mean he was with the other, but, still...

by Anonymousreply 233June 20, 2023 3:22 PM

[quote]Justine Guarini is a pleasant singer but so bland. I would never be able to pick out his voice from a line-up.

If you think that rendition of "I Talk to the Tress" is "bland," then in my opinion, you have no taste. And if you typed "Justine" because you were trying to be funny, you did not succeed.

by Anonymousreply 234June 20, 2023 3:32 PM

Justin Guarini was terrific in Paint Your Wagon at Encores, also was good in Women on the Verge as well.

by Anonymousreply 235June 20, 2023 4:16 PM

One of the Kander/Ebb songs, "Home," was on Sondheim's 50 Songs I Wish I Had Written . . So is that "grudging praise"?

by Anonymousreply 236June 20, 2023 4:31 PM

R235, I saw Justin in "Paint Your Wagon" as well - he really was wonderful. I only knew him as an American Idol contestant - he seriously impressed me on stage.

HOWEVER, I've seen him on TV, hosting PBS pledge breaks and he's just not good. I can't figure out why, but he's just not good.

by Anonymousreply 237June 20, 2023 4:56 PM

[quote]HOWEVER, I've seen him on TV, hosting PBS pledge breaks and he's just not good. I can't figure out why, but he's just not good.

Well, ByJupiter, not everyone is cut out to be a PBS pledge break host.

by Anonymousreply 238June 20, 2023 5:06 PM

[quote]Steve Martin's ex, Victoria Tennant, once described him as "depressive and incredibly dull."

At least he shines on screen, unlike Victoria...

by Anonymousreply 239June 20, 2023 5:22 PM

Who else is that in the photo of Sondheim at r224? I recognize Mia Farrow, Jack O'Brian and Marsha Mason but none of the others. Can anyone ID them all?

by Anonymousreply 240June 20, 2023 5:22 PM

I had the major hots for Steve Martin as a kid.

FATHER OF THE BRIDE came out when I was 11 and I fell in love.

Afterward, I watched every movie he was in.

At the time, I had a close female friend who pined for Anthony Hopkins.

We were strange. 😂

by Anonymousreply 241June 20, 2023 5:30 PM

So at this point is it safe to assume that the musicians hired by "Here Lies Love" are no-shows aka walkers?

by Anonymousreply 242June 20, 2023 5:35 PM

R242, I have read and heard otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 243June 20, 2023 5:37 PM

That's good to hear, R243! Thanks. I was just working under the assumption that if they were using them, they would have publicized that but I guess I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 244June 20, 2023 5:39 PM

[quote]FATHER OF THE BRIDE came out when I was 11 and I fell in love.

Honey, you were well past 11 when the ORIGINAL "Father of the Bride" came out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245June 20, 2023 5:40 PM

[quote]Was Marc Blitzstein the only Broadway composer to be murdered?

Not if you consider what the critics did to ALW after Bad Cinderella opened.

by Anonymousreply 246June 20, 2023 6:16 PM

R245 Ha! I wouldn't have minded Spencer Tracy, either. 😂

by Anonymousreply 247June 20, 2023 6:23 PM

[quote] Not if you consider what the critics did to ALW after Bad Cinderella opened.

That was a mercy killing

by Anonymousreply 248June 20, 2023 7:40 PM

The picture at r224 looks to be taken on Sondheim’s last day. He died during the night after Thanksgiving dinner.

by Anonymousreply 249June 20, 2023 8:16 PM

How did he die?

by Anonymousreply 250June 20, 2023 8:36 PM

Bungee jumping, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 251June 20, 2023 8:40 PM

Kimberly Akimbo had its highest-grossing week post-Tonys—$695,405.

Any guesses on its weekly running costs?

by Anonymousreply 252June 20, 2023 8:43 PM

R249, Is his widow in that photo?

by Anonymousreply 253June 20, 2023 9:30 PM

Third from the left, r253.

by Anonymousreply 254June 20, 2023 9:31 PM

Mia smothered him.

by Anonymousreply 255June 20, 2023 9:31 PM

Of all shows, Life of Pi was the first one after the Tonys to announce its closure. I wonder if the Gerald Schoenfeld (or "G. Scho," as we in the know call it) has a fall tenant to soon be announced?

by Anonymousreply 256June 20, 2023 10:31 PM

Magazines used to do articles like "The Last Days of _______" Wonder if one on SS is forthcoming.

by Anonymousreply 257June 20, 2023 10:43 PM

The grosses for GREY HOUSE are... gross:

total : $368,707.61 57.80% capacity

This is the only thing scary about GREY HOUSE.

by Anonymousreply 258June 20, 2023 10:52 PM

Justin will always be remembered as being a distant second to Kelly Clarkson

by Anonymousreply 259June 20, 2023 10:53 PM

Understudies on for Arthur and Lancelot tonite and three cast members of KA including Vicki are MIA.

by Anonymousreply 260June 20, 2023 11:31 PM

R259, They also dated for a while after she won AI.

by Anonymousreply 261June 20, 2023 11:33 PM

It doesn’t help that Laurie Metcalf swings between looking like a boiled potato and a slapped ass.

by Anonymousreply 262June 21, 2023 12:23 AM

It doesn't help that the play is shit.

by Anonymousreply 263June 21, 2023 12:36 AM

[quote]Who else is that in the photo of Sondheim at [R224]? I recognize Mia Farrow, Jack O'Brian and Marsha Mason but none of the others. Can anyone ID them all?

Presumably other invitees of the orgy.

by Anonymousreply 264June 21, 2023 1:02 AM

Good advice from a casting director to Jane Krakowski that she still references to this day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265June 21, 2023 1:07 AM

It’s very jarring to hear Jane pronounce the word camera correctly.

by Anonymousreply 266June 21, 2023 1:11 AM

I love Jane. She's so old school musical theater song & dance girl.

by Anonymousreply 267June 21, 2023 1:24 AM

Love her, too. And, there's a touch of the vaudevillian in her. She's also one of those performers who just glows on stage. She's perfectly pretty on camera, but she is TRULY beautiful on stage. I found that the both times I've seen her -- Nine on Broadway and Guys & Dolls in London. The camera doesn't *quite* capture it. You have to see her on stage to get it.

by Anonymousreply 268June 21, 2023 1:33 AM

I’ve saw KA for the second time on Sunday with Colleen Fitzpatrick on for Clark. I actually liked Fitzpatrick better (and I had liked Clark).

by Anonymousreply 269June 21, 2023 1:36 AM

And like Bernadette, r268, she started early.

by Anonymousreply 270June 21, 2023 1:56 AM

also pictured Lindsay Law former head of American Playhouse and Fox Searchlight

by Anonymousreply 271June 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Just back from the dress of Light in the Piazza. Pretty wonerful. Josh Grobin was in the audience. Didn't he have a show tonight?

by Anonymousreply 272June 21, 2023 3:21 AM

R272 - Sweeney does 7 performances/week (no Tuesdays.) Which makes their grosses even more impressive. They'd be well over $2 million/wk if they did 8 performances.

by Anonymousreply 273June 21, 2023 3:29 AM

[quote]I’ve saw KA for the second time on Sunday with Colleen Fitzpatrick on for Clark. I actually liked Fitzpatrick better (and I had liked Clark).

Colleen Fitzpatrick of the "Amber von Tussle" from "Hairspray" Colleen Fitzpatricks?

by Anonymousreply 274June 21, 2023 4:48 AM

R261 don't forget this famous doozy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275June 21, 2023 5:32 AM

I kinda love that Colin Donnell still has a career after his dick and bating vids got leaked online.

I guess when you're mostly Bway, no one cares?

Doubt he'll get more TV or film roles tho..

by Anonymousreply 276June 21, 2023 6:47 AM

Obviously, the fundraising is what matters and this is a great organization, but has Broadway Bares ever been sexy? This looks... deeply unsexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277June 21, 2023 7:10 AM

Eldergays, any of you catch this one? Poor Charles Strouse has not had much of a career since Annie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278June 21, 2023 7:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279June 21, 2023 7:54 AM

[quote]I kinda love that Colin Donnell still has a career after his dick and bating vids got leaked online.

Oh Grampa, Kim Kardashian has a billion dollar industry, Colin Farrelll was just nominated for an Oscar, it's 2023 not 1985, no one cares anymore.

by Anonymousreply 280June 21, 2023 8:42 AM

Man, at one time I found Colin Donnell interesting... enjoyed the videos I saw of him as Billy Crocker and his short time on the TV show Arrow.

But now I think the guy needs help... the cock vids (was he high? Drunk?), the appearance of many tats... someone went a bit off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 281June 21, 2023 9:24 AM

Agree. Nudes and sex vids can only help you now. Whatever goes viral and ups that follower count. R277 Never been sexy or entertaining for that matter. I've seen almost all Broadway Bares (I own the DVDs) and have enjoyed maybe 4 or 5 numbers out of all it's existence.

by Anonymousreply 282June 21, 2023 9:27 AM

[quote] no one cares anymore.

For now. Don't be so shortsighted. The world changes a lot in 10-20 years.

Perhaps in 30 years' time, many young people now will be haunted and blackballed by their nude/oversexualized images, if society has swung far-right as a result.

The century is just beginning.

For instance, Hollywood was rather liberal during the silent film era, and the content got increasingly dark and daring with the advent of sound in the late 1920s..

This short period (c. 1927-1934) is known as Pre-Code Hollywood and scandalized society, which is why/how conservatives seized control in the 1930s via the Motion Picture Production Code (aka Hays Code) and reigned supreme for the next three decades.

by Anonymousreply 283June 21, 2023 9:29 AM

I don't see that happening. That was the 20th century. They didn't have all the technology and social media we have. It's not going back there. There will always be conservatives but Gen crazy does not care. And neither do millennials. We rage against the machine. I can tell you're out of the loop.

by Anonymousreply 284June 21, 2023 9:37 AM

R261, Did they actually date or was that manufactured to push the stupid movie they were in together?

by Anonymousreply 285June 21, 2023 11:05 AM

R285, They have both publicly admitted that they dated.

by Anonymousreply 286June 21, 2023 11:21 AM

R285 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287June 21, 2023 11:23 AM

R276, those photos and videos leaked years ago, and he's booked several film and TV gigs since then, including a Peacock series he was the lead of last year and several Hallmark movies. He's not a big enough name for them to have spread that widely, so only a small group on the internet knows about them.

He must know about they're out there by now, but unlike a lot of actors who rush to get that stuff pulled, he's never seemed to bother. He must not care, or they're not harming him any.

by Anonymousreply 288June 21, 2023 11:53 AM

From the link to Angela Lansbury's house at r279:

[quote]It should be torn down its very unattractive and bland and all those ugly tile floors are hideous he could build a modern home outdoors area that would liven it up, I was disappointed to see this house thinking her home would be more refined and elegant so anything to improve this lot would be better

Is this what the phrase MARY! was invented for?

by Anonymousreply 289June 21, 2023 12:04 PM

r249, why do you think that photo was taken on Thanksgiving?

by Anonymousreply 290June 21, 2023 12:26 PM

r281 perhaps people act out like this when they are unhappy? Maybe life with Pattie Murrin is not what he hoped for? Maybe he needs to marry me?

by Anonymousreply 291June 21, 2023 12:38 PM

R288, Well, he’s “harmed” in having the world know that he was not blessed below the belt.

by Anonymousreply 292June 21, 2023 12:53 PM

What did Colin Farrell do?

by Anonymousreply 293June 21, 2023 1:04 PM

R290, They’re all wearing fall/winter clothing?

by Anonymousreply 294June 21, 2023 1:09 PM

R293

Colin F made a sex tape with a black model years ago while filming the Daredevil movie and it leaked. He had an awful haircut/shaved head look in the film and in the video, which is unfortunate.

To his credit, he's owned it and discussed it when asked on talk shows. But obviously its different for a man, especially one in good shape with a nice appendage. No clue who the model was or how this affected her life.

David Boreanaz has had a video and pics leak which definitely harmed his public persona as he's beloved from Buffy and Angel and now seen as a letch and cheater.

As a married man, I'm surprised Colin D hasn't faced similar scorn. Didn't he basically lose his Arrow gig following this?

by Anonymousreply 295June 21, 2023 1:23 PM

r295, no, he was killed off in 2014 after the first season, long before the leaks came out, and they brought him back several times as a recurring character in the later seasons, long after they came out.

The insistence around here that he should and will face career damage from his is kind of creepy. He's a nobody, and nobody cares about the pics/videos.

by Anonymousreply 296June 21, 2023 1:27 PM

Anyone curious about the new English version of Rebecca that'll be debuting in England later this year? I hope they come up with better lyrics than some of these....

If you betray her her revenge will be ferocious!!

Oh no!!

No escape!! You can't win!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297June 21, 2023 1:27 PM

***correction, Donnell's Arrow character was killed off in 2013, so yes, well before the leaks.

by Anonymousreply 298June 21, 2023 1:29 PM

R296

I'm not saying he should face career damage at all. It's idiotic to vilify people for having a naked body. But it's also naive to think he'd ever be embraced by Hollywood in a bigger way now. Movie roles that might have been possible once are now surely off the table.

He's talented and I like him but as a performer you have to be an easy choice from a PR standpoint. Can he do voice over for Disney now? I'd guess no. Can he do Oscar bait films? Also no.

Doors do slam shut.

by Anonymousreply 299June 21, 2023 1:35 PM

R295 the model with Collin Farrell was a playboy playmate so everyone already saw her breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She didn't give a fuck..

by Anonymousreply 300June 21, 2023 1:37 PM

Oh. Okay. That explains his reputation taking no hits.

I'm amazed Rob Lowe recovered from his video but he's not Bway so never mind.

Cheyenne Jackson seems pretty cancelled right now.

by Anonymousreply 301June 21, 2023 1:39 PM

Colin Donnell is Broadway sexy but not Hollywood sexy. He really should have stuck to doing musicals, where all his talents could be truly appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 302June 21, 2023 1:44 PM

Justin Guarini encapsulates how I see many of the B or C listers on Broadway, as well as so many contestants on Idol or the like.

They have pleasant and perhaps technically capable voices. But there is no "there" there. There's no persona, no personality. Whatever the magic stardust is that makes a person a STAR - or at the very minimum a personality that's compelling to watch - they come up empty.

Fine for a cruise ship, or the chorus.

by Anonymousreply 303June 21, 2023 1:47 PM

R303 EXACTLY

by Anonymousreply 304June 21, 2023 1:48 PM

All these people who aren't stars sure are generating a lot of conversation today. I'd hate to see how much people would talk about them if they were stars.

by Anonymousreply 305June 21, 2023 1:58 PM

[quote]Cheyenne Jackson seems pretty cancelled right now.

He just came off three seasons of the Mayim Bialik show which probably have been renewed if Leslie Jordan hadn't kicked the bucket and taken viewers with him.

by Anonymousreply 306June 21, 2023 1:59 PM

Colin [italic] just [/italic] did a 10-episode run as the lead of a new Peacock series.

Does any of you use the internet for anything but your own opinions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307June 21, 2023 2:01 PM

Just saw Roger Bart on the street. He's heavyset. No, portly. No, fat. And he's got the crazy hair more than ever, only now it's badly dyed and jammed up with way too much American Crew Fiber or some such matte glop

by Anonymousreply 308June 21, 2023 2:03 PM

[quote] Nudes and sex vids can only help you now.

He cood efen liff in Vite Howce.

by Anonymousreply 309June 21, 2023 2:03 PM

[quote] Does any of you

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 310June 21, 2023 2:08 PM

[quote] Leslie Jordan hadn't kicked the bucket

He didn't kick the bucket.

He ran that bucket into the side of a brick wall.....

by Anonymousreply 311June 21, 2023 2:09 PM

In the sex thread JAJ's ass at Broadway Bares is being discussed, but only subscribers can post to the thread. He shared a view videos in his stories that he was tagged in, and apparently spent much of the night in a jock strap, and yeah, his ass looks great.

I don't know that BB is all that sexy, but it certainly can be. It's less the routines than the performers themselves. That video of Norm Lewis at Bares a decade ago is still a thing of beauty. The routine was fine; he was sexy as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312June 21, 2023 2:09 PM

[quote] Just saw Roger Bart on the street. He's heavyset. No, portly. No, fat.

How fat is he?

He's sooooo fat that only the first 5 or so inches of his dick are visible now.

by Anonymousreply 313June 21, 2023 2:10 PM

***a few videos

Sheesh. What happened there?

by Anonymousreply 314June 21, 2023 2:10 PM

Well aren’t you the little scold r307! Italics and snark - there really is no beginning to your talents.

by Anonymousreply 315June 21, 2023 2:13 PM

JAJ is always showing his ass at Broadway Bares. That is nothing new. That's his biggest ad campaign every year.

by Anonymousreply 316June 21, 2023 2:16 PM

No one said it was new. Just that it looked great.

by Anonymousreply 317June 21, 2023 2:21 PM

Seems reductive. And more proof nudity can only help your career.

by Anonymousreply 318June 21, 2023 2:23 PM

Someone in the last thread asked WHET DL fave AKB. He booked a new gig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319June 21, 2023 2:24 PM

We've seen AKB's junk, haven't we?

by Anonymousreply 320June 21, 2023 2:35 PM

[quote]I kinda love that Colin Donnell still has a career after his dick and bating vids got leaked online.

I think he's the sort of person whose career can only be helped by something like this, as I've always felt he was mainly prized for his looks and his sex appeal, rather than for his acting and singing talents, which are average at best. Have any of you heard that album Donnell made with his wife? Not very good work on his part.

by Anonymousreply 321June 21, 2023 2:37 PM

I know it's hated round these parts, and I'm very, very late to the party but I finally saw the Daniel Fish Oklahoma! last night in London. Reader, I loved every fucking thing about it. An extraordinary, eviscerating deconstruction of both a form and of a musical.

I also saw A Strange Loop on Tuesday, currently previewing in London. I found a lot to like about it, but also felt that it's a concept musical that wishes it were a book musical. It wants to have its conceptual cake and eat it, and doesn't quite pull it off. Previews seem to be selling well, but I still think a 12-week summer season at the Barbican is a crazy idea. Anything Goes it ain't.

by Anonymousreply 322June 21, 2023 2:46 PM

Meet Patty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323June 21, 2023 2:52 PM

Let's pat her collie.

by Anonymousreply 324June 21, 2023 2:58 PM

The Ben Rimalower podcast (“Giants in the Sky”) on the making of Into the Woods is interesting despite some technical and editing shortcomings. Jack O’Brien talks about how he couldn’t host Thanksgiving because he had moved, so it was at Marsha Mason’s house. Sondheim left in good spirits at 9 pm and died at 1 a.m.

by Anonymousreply 325June 21, 2023 2:58 PM

Re: R323--nothing against Rhea Perlman, but what exactly is Lincoln Center Theatre doing producing this play? I though LCT3 was about developing experimental work. This looks like something Manhattan Theatre Club might have done 20 years ago for an audience of elderly uptown ladies in furs.

by Anonymousreply 326June 21, 2023 3:05 PM

r320, yes. (Speaking of someone who gets things pulled from the internet whenever they appear.)

by Anonymousreply 327June 21, 2023 3:10 PM

R295-When Boreanaz was a bouncer on the Upper East Side many moons ago, he was known to pick up a different party girl every night, take her home and fuck her. He was a nasty piece of work with a quick temper and no real personality.

I wonder whatever became of Jim Stein, who snorted his way out of the Che role after he succeeded Mandy in Evita. At one performance, he fell backwards off a set piece. Major blow habit. He's not even listed in the IBDB database anymore. He killed his own career.

by Anonymousreply 328June 21, 2023 3:17 PM

r310 It sounds wrong, but it's actually grammatically correct. "Any" is the same as "anyone," and in this case is singular, so "does" is the appropriate verb.

by Anonymousreply 329June 21, 2023 4:16 PM

R299, When Chris Evans inadvertently leaked a dick pic, he owned it the next day and even went on Tamron Hall’s show and did a mea culpa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330June 21, 2023 4:35 PM

thank you, r329

by Anonymousreply 331June 21, 2023 5:55 PM

[quote]I know it's hated round these parts, and I'm very, very late to the party but I finally saw the Daniel Fish Oklahoma! last night in London. Reader, I loved every fucking thing about it. An extraordinary, eviscerating deconstruction of both a form and of a musical.

And apparently, you were also so very, very late to the counter on the day they handed out brains and good taste that none were left for you. That production was not a "deconstruction" of anything, it was a masturbatory exercise by a talent-free hack of a "director" who had no respect for the show he was directing and therefore trashed it.

by Anonymousreply 332June 21, 2023 6:55 PM

Miss R332 Has Stated Her Boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 333June 21, 2023 6:59 PM

Colin Donnell is very average on the Anything Goes album.

by Anonymousreply 334June 21, 2023 7:13 PM

Eileen...isn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335June 21, 2023 7:16 PM

[quote] Cheyenne Jackson seems pretty cancelled right now.

Despite having very little charisma for someone so beautiful, I'm sure Jackson can snap his fingers and get a Bway gig.

He, instead, wanted a more lucrative TV/ film career, which doesn't seem to be panning out for him. I don't think it has anything to do with his leaked video--he's not famous enough for anyone to care.

by Anonymousreply 336June 21, 2023 7:44 PM

[quote] When Chris Evans inadvertently leaked a dick pic, he owned it the next day and even went on Tamron Hall’s show and did a mea culpa

Makes it seem more like a publicity stunt

by Anonymousreply 337June 21, 2023 7:44 PM

somebody please turn up the thermostat at Mme Tussaud's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338June 21, 2023 7:50 PM

The Oklahoma revisal def seems to be more warmly acclaimed in London - I wonder if the casting has any impact?

by Anonymousreply 339June 21, 2023 8:03 PM

Oklahoma is a dated bore. I no longer believe the "I saw a great production of Oklahoma!" I always fall for the hype, go see it, and am bored out of my mind.

by Anonymousreply 340June 21, 2023 8:07 PM

If I never see another Rodgers and Hammerstein show, it will still be too soon.

by Anonymousreply 341June 21, 2023 8:09 PM

The fact that Daniel Fish's Oklahoma! causes some people to lose their minds (see: R332) makes me love it even more. "My heavens! That awful man has sullied the sweet soul of that poor innocent musical!"

by Anonymousreply 342June 21, 2023 8:56 PM

How did they cast the fat tranny and wheelchair lass in London?

by Anonymousreply 343June 21, 2023 8:57 PM

So, let me get this straight r342. It’s not the work you like, just the fact that it annoys others.

by Anonymousreply 344June 21, 2023 8:59 PM

[quote]The fact that Daniel Fish's Oklahoma! causes some people to lose their minds (see: [R332]) makes me love it even more. "My heavens! That awful man has sullied the sweet soul of that poor innocent musical!"

Oh, really? Well suppose, for example, you decided to write a show that was a love letter to New York City, and then, 50 or 60 or 70 years from now, someone "reinterpreted" the show in such a way as to subvert all of that and depict NYC out as a hell-hole. Or.....suppose the opposite happened. How would you feel about THAT, genius?

The point, which you fail to comprehend, is that it's contemptible for someone to completely betray the vision of an author, or team of authors, just because he doesn't agree with that vision and/or thinks it doesn't play well in the present day. And if Fish wanted to direct a show that's all about the dark side of America, he should have written his own goddamn show. But, OF COURSE, he doesn't have the talent for that, so instead, we all had to suffer through an interpretation of OKLAHOMA! that smelled of rotting Fish throughout.

by Anonymousreply 345June 21, 2023 9:11 PM

[quote] smelled of rotting Fish

Clever.

by Anonymousreply 346June 21, 2023 9:24 PM

The heirs of the Oklahoma authors obviously didn't have a problem with the 'betrayal' of the vision, so why are you being such a queen about it?

by Anonymousreply 347June 21, 2023 9:25 PM

London has always been and continues to be far more welcoming of smart and daring theatre. I can barely contend with seeing shows on Broadway any more, everything is mediocre to awful (except for the London imports), yet I revel in most everything I see on my theatre trips to the UK, where even the flawed works are fascinating and intellectually challenging in some way.

by Anonymousreply 348June 21, 2023 9:27 PM

r348, can't wait to hear your response to Back to the Future: the Musical, that smart and daring piece of UK theatre soon to be imported to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 349June 21, 2023 9:33 PM

R347 They sold the rights.

by Anonymousreply 350June 21, 2023 9:33 PM

And let's not forget Bad Cinderella, that import straight from London!

by Anonymousreply 351June 21, 2023 9:34 PM

Ted Chapin, who oversaw the catalog for four decades, endorsed the Fish production on behalf of the estates. Keep up, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 352June 21, 2023 9:40 PM

Yes, it's completely strange and unbelievable that people who didn't create material but stand to profit from it would have endorse its use in any way that would put money in their bank accounts.

by Anonymousreply 353June 21, 2023 9:43 PM

[Quote] London has always been and continues to be far more welcoming of smart and daring theatre.

Smart and daring?? Are you kidding?

Too many times have I seen productions that are lauded in London and then seem like dreck when they get to NYC. Londoners have horrible taste

by Anonymousreply 354June 21, 2023 9:45 PM

Ted Chapin also allowed the fucked-up FLOWER DRUM SONG and the abysmal animated THE KING AND I.

by Anonymousreply 355June 21, 2023 9:50 PM

Cut to the chase...how $ucce$$ful did Wokelahoma end up being? *That's* all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 356June 21, 2023 9:58 PM

You seem peculiarly invested in this r345.

by Anonymousreply 357June 21, 2023 9:59 PM

Here's the thing about London theatre: Yes, there's awful dreck like Bad Cinderella and Back to the Future (mostly created by Americans) but it's more than balanced by (to mention just the recent) fabulous productions of Rebecca Frecknall's incredible reimaginings of Streetcar and Cabaret, the joyous and exuberant Guys & Dolls revival at The Bridge, the hilarious Operation Mincemeat, Soho Place's Medea with Ben Daniels and Sophie Okenado followed by the new musical version of Brokeback Mountain, The National's The Motive and the Cue about the Burton Hamlet, Tom Hollander in Patriots at The Almeida, and on and and on....

NY theatre cannot compare.

by Anonymousreply 358June 21, 2023 10:05 PM

It is so much less expensive to produce in London. Why?

by Anonymousreply 359June 21, 2023 10:14 PM

Brokeback is a play with music. It’s not a musical. The characters don’t actually sing.

by Anonymousreply 360June 21, 2023 10:17 PM

The Cottage looks like such summer stock!

16 Weeks Only! If we're lucky...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361June 21, 2023 10:18 PM

R350 READ up! You clearly don’t know how the R&H theatrical rights actually work.

by Anonymousreply 362June 21, 2023 10:19 PM

Why does that sketch look like Eric McCormack?

by Anonymousreply 363June 21, 2023 10:36 PM

That ad for THE COTTAGE (terrible title btw) has stinky bomb written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 364June 21, 2023 10:42 PM

JAJ has a great body but the face is like fetal alcohol syndrome. Honest question--What dies he (and other guys like him--Nick Adam etc) do for a living? they sporadically have a theatre gig--dont have any movie or tv work--do they all have alt. Only Fans accounts? Rich boyfriends? I see a lot of guys in the business that have been around for years but dont seem to work all that much

by Anonymousreply 365June 21, 2023 10:51 PM

Beautiful Noise actually did worse the week after the Tony performance.

by Anonymousreply 366June 21, 2023 10:51 PM

JAJ is in Parade and has been in 5 other Broadway shows. That's a lot for someone his age.

by Anonymousreply 367June 21, 2023 10:57 PM

r365, it feels like JAJ works a lot, to a surprising degree (I don't have anything against him; he just always seems like he's in stuff). In the years before the pandemic, he did a year and a half in Phantom, then did Scotland, PA and Darling Grenadine, two off-Broadway Roundabout shows. (And he had multiple Broadway and off-Broadway shows before Phantom.) Last spring he was in that play about a bunch of bitchy gays (specific, I know) at Second Stage, then he moved into the Encores Parade, which turned into the Broadway transfer. I don't know what he does when he's not in a show, but those times seem few and far between. (Is he really that good? I don't know. I think I've only seen him in Darling Grenadine, which I hated.)

by Anonymousreply 368June 21, 2023 11:04 PM

Yeah, the West End these days is Broadway stuff plus really bad theater that even we won't want here. You have to check the off-West End stuff, like the Bridge for anything worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 369June 21, 2023 11:05 PM

I presume some of these performers teach on the side.

by Anonymousreply 370June 21, 2023 11:05 PM

Oh, I guess I saw JAJ in Hands on a Hardbody, but I don't remember anything about that.

by Anonymousreply 371June 21, 2023 11:07 PM

[Quote] London has always been and continues to be far more welcoming of smart and daring theatre.

They also love shows that make America look terrible. Hence, the success of this, Oklahoma.

by Anonymousreply 372June 21, 2023 11:11 PM

[Quote] Why does that sketch look like Eric McCormack?

Because it is, dumb fuck

by Anonymousreply 373June 21, 2023 11:12 PM

Dolls, Mandy Patinkin and I did a duo concert. Why would I want to team up with Bernadette who always sings those maudlin, weepy, clutch-throat songs?

by Anonymousreply 374June 21, 2023 11:13 PM

So rumor has it Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells are going to announce tomorrow that they're going to be doing Gutenberg! the Musical on Broadway. I was looking at the videos Gad's been posted on his Instagram all day...and I had no idea he was that popular? He has 1.2 million followers, twice what Rannells has. (I've always found him really grating. The videos haven't changed that. But good for him finding his audience.)

by Anonymousreply 375June 21, 2023 11:15 PM

Eldergays, does anyone remember back around 1980ish, there was a maniac that was throwing bricks off the roof of Broadway theaters?

I informed my Drivers Ed class that one of the theaters was where Lauren Bacall was performing. None of my classmates seemed as concerned as I was.

Anyhoo, did they ever catch the guy who was doing that?

by Anonymousreply 376June 21, 2023 11:17 PM

R376. It was Juliette Binoche who was throwing the bricks.

by Anonymousreply 377June 21, 2023 11:18 PM

Who wouldn't want to throw a brick at Lauren Bacall?

by Anonymousreply 378June 21, 2023 11:20 PM

[quote]they're going to be doing Gutenberg! the Musical on Broadway.

Is this another Jesus musical like Kathie Lee Gifford’s musical about Amy Semple McPherson?

by Anonymousreply 379June 21, 2023 11:21 PM

r376, it was The Fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380June 21, 2023 11:21 PM

[quote] Who wouldn't want to throw a brick at Lauren Bacall?

There was a long line of people. Bacall was a real “see you next Tuesday.”

by Anonymousreply 381June 21, 2023 11:22 PM

r379, no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382June 21, 2023 11:24 PM

I think Guttenberg is a 2 hander. probably cheapish and easy(ish) to throw together quickly for a short/limited run given the WGA strike

by Anonymousreply 383June 21, 2023 11:28 PM

Gutenberg the Musical... for when you can't afford four cast members to perform (title of show).

by Anonymousreply 384June 21, 2023 11:49 PM

It's a great idea. Very inexpensive to produce, both guys have big followings, Rannells is hilarious, and it's quite a funny show.

by Anonymousreply 385June 21, 2023 11:56 PM

Next up...Daveed Diggs in "Herringbone"

by Anonymousreply 386June 21, 2023 11:56 PM

Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein in “6 Rms Riv Vu: The Musical”

by Anonymousreply 387June 22, 2023 12:01 AM

R385, Despite the rumors, Rannells and Tuc Watkins are still together.

There are photos on Tuc’s Instagram of them spending Father’s Day together in Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 388June 22, 2023 12:06 AM

R387, Reinforce the furniture.

by Anonymousreply 389June 22, 2023 12:07 AM

[quote]I was looking at the videos Gad's been posted on his Instagram all day...and I had no idea he was that popular? He has 1.2 million followers, twice what Rannells has.

Olaf—the most merchandised Disney character since Mickey himself.

by Anonymousreply 390June 22, 2023 12:14 AM

Huh. It never would have occurred to me than fondness for a cartoon character would carry over to the voice actor, at least not to that degree. Guess I really am old and out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 391June 22, 2023 12:16 AM

I saw JAJ in On the Town. He was pretty charming as Chip, much more than Jesse Tyler Ferguson in the last revival in 99(?).

He also was on that short lived show on ABC, Quantico. I think he wasn’t a regular but appeared in all three seasons.

by Anonymousreply 392June 22, 2023 12:21 AM

Didn't JAJ have a tempestuous affair with Russell Tovey on QUANTICO?

JAJ was adorably delicious in ON THE TOWN. Lots of clips with him as Chip in his Stars & Stripes boxers on youtube. He's probably working a lot more than many other young actors in NYC, whether on or off-Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 393June 22, 2023 12:29 AM

Not to mention the delightful JAJ threesome video!

by Anonymousreply 394June 22, 2023 12:39 AM

Cheyenne Jackson had a leak? Was it a... solo performance, duet or group number?

by Anonymousreply 395June 22, 2023 12:44 AM

JAJ is forgettable in everything he does. Not bad. Just forgettable.

Also, you guys won't care but the lead girl in SHUCKED is missing a lot of shows.

by Anonymousreply 396June 22, 2023 12:44 AM

R394, It’s brief, but hot.

by Anonymousreply 397June 22, 2023 12:45 AM

R395, A solo of him jerking off to climax and then you see his face as he says “I miss my boyfriend”.

by Anonymousreply 398June 22, 2023 12:48 AM

Don't forget to describe how lucky his dick is. Haha.

by Anonymousreply 399June 22, 2023 12:51 AM

*UGLY his dick is. I meant. And he said, "clearly I need my boyfriend here". Haha. It was gross.

by Anonymousreply 400June 22, 2023 12:53 AM

[quote] Also, you guys won't care but the lead girl in SHUCKED is missing a lot of shows.

Alex Newell? Didn’t she just win a Tony for that role?

by Anonymousreply 401June 22, 2023 12:55 AM

R381 All in all, it’s another brick in Bacall….

by Anonymousreply 402June 22, 2023 12:57 AM

R379 will Rannells okay Steve Guttenberg?

by Anonymousreply 403June 22, 2023 12:58 AM

That would be play not okay.

by Anonymousreply 404June 22, 2023 12:59 AM

r401, I think r396 was referring to the actress who plays Maizy, the lead role. (Newell plays Lulu and is considered a featured role, which is what they won for.) Her understudy posted photos from Sunday when she was on (and Sarah Jessica Parker and Gayle King were in the audience and visited the cast afterward) and posted that she was on for today's matinee as well.

by Anonymousreply 405June 22, 2023 1:04 AM

[quote]Hunter Arnold, one of the show’s lead producers, said Spears signed the contract herself after the conservatorship was terminated and that no one else in Spears’s camp currently has a deal to receive profits.

[quote]A representative for Spears did not make her available for an interview but confirmed the timing of the most recent deal and added that the singer had provided notes in response to videos of the Madrids’ choreography.

[quote]Initially, production papers from late 2019 listed a company called Shiloh Standing, Inc., which was started by Spears’s father shortly after the creation of the conservatorship, as being entitled to 7.5 percent of the production’s net profits, according to documents filed with New York State’s attorney general’s office. Larry Rudolph, Spears’s former manager, was also slated to receive funds, including a $30,000 executive producer fee, plus $1,500 per week.

[quote]But plans for a short run in Chicago in 2020, followed by a Broadway transfer, were scuttled by the pandemic, the show was put on hold and, in that time, Spears’s world was transformed. Leslie Papa, a spokeswoman for the show, said that Spears’s contract was negotiated and signed in 2022, after the termination of the conservatorship, and provides all compensation directly to her.

[quote]Arnold said Spears has a stake in the show’s royalties through music licensing proceeds, in addition to an underlying rights deal, which he said was carved out in recognition of her role in popularizing the music, even if other lyricists and music producers own much of the rights to the songs. He declined to specify the exact payment structure for Spears, and it is not included in government filings thus far.

[quote]According to a copy of a 2022 budget for the Broadway musical that was shared with The New York Times by someone who was not authorized to discuss the production, the advance payment for the underlying rights deal associated with the show was $80,000. Arnold noted that with successful Broadway shows, royalties often quickly outpace initial advances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406June 22, 2023 1:26 AM

Laugh me off the internet, but if she was lucid, I would kill to see Britney in even just a reading of Nuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407June 22, 2023 1:38 AM

Hearts not diamonds! Roses not bricks!!

by Anonymousreply 408June 22, 2023 1:39 AM

[quote]Is he really that good? I don't know. I think I've only seen him in Darling Grenadine, which I hated

Jay Armstrong Johnson was, IMHO, the best thing in SCOTLAND PA, a not-great show with a few winning moments and a couple of great songs. I happened to like DARLING GRENADINE a lot. I thought it had a lot of heart and some of the music was terrific. Cast was all solid.

I've prob seen him in about 10 different shows, including the PARADE revival and ON THE TOWN. I've never seen him less than good, and sometimes stellar.

by Anonymousreply 409June 22, 2023 2:09 AM

[Quote] Newell plays Lulu

I hope Newell doesn't riff too much on "To Sir With Love."

by Anonymousreply 410June 22, 2023 2:15 AM

The JAJ sex video was a boot.

by Anonymousreply 411June 22, 2023 2:15 AM

Jay Armstrong Johnson was hilarious in SCOTLAND, PA. A really wonderful performance.

by Anonymousreply 412June 22, 2023 2:16 AM

The JAJ sex video was a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 413June 22, 2023 2:17 AM

[Quote] There are photos on Tuc’s Instagram of them spending Father’s Day together in Hawaii.

More like Daddy’s Day

by Anonymousreply 414June 22, 2023 2:22 AM

R414, Tuc’s father is also in the pics.

by Anonymousreply 415June 22, 2023 2:27 AM

I've only seen JAJ in On the Town. He was very good. Well, that whole damn cast was. That may be my favorite musical revival I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 416June 22, 2023 2:41 AM

His "Diamonds" was about as interesting as Aaron Tveit's efforts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417June 22, 2023 2:43 AM

I'll third (or fourth) my admiration for JAJ in SCOTLAND, PA as the slacker dude. I actually loved that show and was shocked it didn't get a better reception. And JAJ was so different from ON THE TOWN's innocent rube sailor Chip.

by Anonymousreply 418June 22, 2023 2:48 AM

r417, that's pretty good. He sounds a lot better than in the Phantom clips I tried watching to see his take on Raoul. He just seemed stiff and uncomfortable. Same goes for the big kiss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419June 22, 2023 2:49 AM

[quote]I think Guttenberg is a 2 hander.

Much like Roger Bart's dick.

by Anonymousreply 420June 22, 2023 3:27 AM

[quote] Ted Chapin also allowed the fucked-up FLOWER DRUM SONG and the abysmal animated THE KING AND I.

Ted Chaplin said the cartoon version of King And I was the worst mistake he ever made. It’s an interesting hate watch.

by Anonymousreply 421June 22, 2023 3:49 AM

[quote]The heirs of the Oklahoma authors obviously didn't have a problem with the 'betrayal' of the vision, so why are you being such a queen about it?

See R350, but if you weren't so ignorant, you would know without having to be told that the heirs no longer have ANY say about productions of the R&H shows.

R342, I'm still waiting for an honest answer to my question at R345.

by Anonymousreply 422June 22, 2023 3:57 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423June 22, 2023 4:01 AM

I think JAJ has officially taken over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 424June 22, 2023 4:59 AM

I was watching an old "Gunsmoke" yesterday and Michael Cristofer was in it. The episode was from 1974, so it was just about three years before he'd win the Pulitzer and the Tony for his play "The Shadow Box." He was very handsome back then. Has anyone here ever worked with him? Despite his success in the theater, I don't think you really hear that much about him.

by Anonymousreply 425June 22, 2023 5:03 AM

Tonys Boost Box Office For ‘Kimberly Akimbo’, ‘Leopoldstadt’, ‘Shucked’; ‘Here Lies Love’ Sells Out First Preview:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426June 22, 2023 5:04 AM

The King And I cartoon is for children. It's weird because it's for kids! Haha. Duh. I know children who grew up on it. So how is it a mistake if it reaches a whole different audience and they love it? Get over yourselves. Especially you Ted Chapin.

by Anonymousreply 427June 22, 2023 8:18 AM

The King and I animated film was a box office bomb. It's poorly done and looks incredibly cheap and ugly. So what if some kids enjoyed it? (And based on the reviews at IMDB, where it currently has a rating of 4.3 out of 10, plenty did not.) Kids like a lot of shit. That shouldn't be considered a standard of anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428June 22, 2023 11:28 AM

I thought this site only did clips from actual movies, but r395, if you search for his name here, it's there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429June 22, 2023 11:34 AM

On a less sketchy note, Tovey and Johnson in Quantico.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430June 22, 2023 11:35 AM

R428, A victim of the Marty Vidnovic curse.

by Anonymousreply 431June 22, 2023 11:45 AM

I remember that JAJ was a very good Candide at City Center some years back. With DL fave Linda Lavin.

by Anonymousreply 432June 22, 2023 12:19 PM

I saw Scotland, PA and remember absolutely nothing about it.

by Anonymousreply 433June 22, 2023 12:25 PM

A friend is in London and saw The Play That Goes Wrong and Guys & Dolls......raves for both shows.

by Anonymousreply 434June 22, 2023 12:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435June 22, 2023 12:44 PM

The Play That Goes Wrong is a funny premise that goes on too long. And they’ve done so many shows with that premise that they are quickly outliving their 15 minutes of fame.

by Anonymousreply 436June 22, 2023 12:47 PM

R435, Damn, motherhood has really aged Chasten.

by Anonymousreply 437June 22, 2023 12:48 PM

I couldn't stand more than 20 minutes of The Play That Goes Wrong. But, I felt that way about One Man Two Guv's, too. And I love plenty of British humor (both high and lowbrow British humor,) but the appeal of both of those shows is a mystery to me.

by Anonymousreply 438June 22, 2023 12:49 PM

I liked Scotland PA but need to see it performed again because I also don't remember much. I do remember liking the song about football.

by Anonymousreply 439June 22, 2023 12:50 PM

Is the Marriott Marquis Theater destined to be the dumping ground of all the garbage shows? I can't recall the last decent show that was playing there.

by Anonymousreply 440June 22, 2023 1:21 PM

That's what they asked about The Gershwin, r440.

by Anonymousreply 441June 22, 2023 1:23 PM

Why the photo, r435? And who are those other people? (I recognize Mayor Pete, the Widow and the Dearly Departed)

by Anonymousreply 442June 22, 2023 1:24 PM

r442, on the far left is composer Benj Pasek (Dear Evan Hanson, The Greatest Showman, etc.). Next to him is his boyfriend/partner at the time Kevin Sobieski (I don't know if they're still together. Pasek hasn't posted any photos of him on Instagram in a while and appears to no longer follow him.)

Maybe the presence of the Widow Sondheim was reason enough for r435 to post it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443June 22, 2023 1:34 PM

Thanks, r443

by Anonymousreply 444June 22, 2023 1:36 PM

R440 haha. That is so true. I love that theater but I'm never there because nothing good is ever playing there.

by Anonymousreply 445June 22, 2023 1:49 PM

[quote]R342, I'm still waiting for an honest answer to my question at R345.

I’d imagine I’d be thrilled my show was still inspiring someone to the point of production and revelation.

If a show has been around for 50 or 60 or 70 years and it is still being produced, then I think it’s safe to say that most people who go to the theater would know the show pretty well and it has entered classic territory (that is certainly the case for Oklahoma!)—so I don’t think the author’s vision is betrayed. Rather, it has already been communicated so well that it has entered the cultural bloodstream. Once that has happened, classic plays are given new interpretations all the time to see what else might be lying dormant in the text, waiting to be roused, and no one seems to lose their cool when this happens the way they do when a classic musical gets the same treatment.

That seems to suggest that the classic plays are sturdy and robust and can withstand the shock of something new, but that classic musicals are flimsy and weak and need to be protected from the same kind of treatment. That is pretty offensive to the author’s of classic musicals, if you ask me, because it suggests that their work should be approached with kid’s gloves while Ibsen and Shakespeare and Chekov can handle the real excavation.

by Anonymousreply 446June 22, 2023 1:53 PM

Brilliant articulate post, r446. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 447June 22, 2023 1:58 PM

R428 I agree the cartoon is complete shit and awkward and weird. But it was made for children so what can you really expect. I remember when it came out and I saw the trailer. I was like what the hell. Haha. You could tell it was crap and a stupid idea but if it introduces young children to Rodgers and Hammerstein and musical theater then it's a win in my book .

Also, IMDB scores mean nothing. Especially if you know how they're calculated. That's not really a measure of anything. For instance, Ryan Murphy's fantasy series POSE sits at an 8.7 rating. Completely insane. That is higher than what most classic superior films and TV shows have. Because dumb asses write reviews and vote up. Children aren't writing reviews on IMDB honey. Haha.

by Anonymousreply 448June 22, 2023 1:59 PM

Sondheim, Pasek, Romley, Buttigieg . . . doesn't get much gayer than that!

by Anonymousreply 449June 22, 2023 2:10 PM

Which Ethan Mordden books are his best?

by Anonymousreply 450June 22, 2023 2:10 PM

The Marquis is cursed because they tore down some lovely theaters to build that ugly, soulless monstrosity.

by Anonymousreply 451June 22, 2023 2:12 PM

Broadway musicals don’t enjoy the same advantage as opera.

In opera, the classics are continually in rotation, so if you see a bad, experimental production, it’s only a few years until the opera will rotate around again with a beautifully produced classical production.

This is what bothers me about The Public’s Shakespeare in the Park. Every production now has to have some twist. They no longer produce a simple, classical version. The last time I saw Romeo & Juliet there, everybody was walking through water. These gimmick productions dilute the beauty of the language.

by Anonymousreply 452June 22, 2023 2:20 PM

Gad and Rannells in Gutenberg! the Musical confirmed. 20 weeks at the James Earl Jones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453June 22, 2023 2:41 PM

[quote] Gad and Rannells in Gutenberg! the Musical confirmed. 20 weeks at the James Earl Jones.

Guaranteed to keep a line at TKTS.

by Anonymousreply 454June 22, 2023 2:45 PM

Still waiting for the tea on Romley and Rainbow. Just another poster blowing smoke, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 455June 22, 2023 2:57 PM

Operas also don't play eight shows a week for a year, r452.

by Anonymousreply 456June 22, 2023 3:26 PM

I'm sure this will be a hot ticket.

But I didn't ask for it, frankly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457June 22, 2023 3:47 PM

[quote]If a show has been around for 50 or 60 or 70 years and it is still being produced, then I think it’s safe to say that most people who go to the theater would know the show pretty well and it has entered classic territory (that is certainly the case for Oklahoma!)—so I don’t think the author’s vision is betrayed. Rather, it has already been communicated so well that it has entered the cultural bloodstream.

That's all well and good, but aside from everything else, I'm sure that quite a high percentage of people who saw the Fish OKLAHOMA! had never seen the property in any previous production, including the movie. And so they would naturally assume that all of that dark shit had been written by Rodgers & Hammerstein, which of course is not the case

[quote]Once that has happened, classic plays are given new interpretations all the time to see what else might be lying dormant in the text, waiting to be roused, and no one seems to lose their cool when this happens the way they do when a classic musical gets the same treatment.

Other than Shakespeare and other ancient classics, it doesn't seem to me that old plays tend to be drastically and radically "reinterpreted" in quite the same way as musicals, for whatever reason. The current A DOLL'S HOUSE on Broadway is a case in point. It's newly interpreted in that it's very minimalist, the costumes are modern, etc., but there was no attempt to rewrite the meaning of the play as Fish did with OKLAHOMA! Another case in point was that rather odd Broadway revival of ALL MY SONS,.

[quote]That seems to suggest that the classic plays are sturdy and robust and can withstand the shock of something new, but that classic musicals are flimsy and weak and need to be protected from the same kind of treatment. That is pretty offensive to the author’s of classic musicals, if you ask me, because it suggests that their work should be approached with kid’s gloves while Ibsen and Shakespeare and Chekov can handle the real excavation.

Again, I can't speak for other people, but I for one make no distinction between plays and musicals when I feel the author's original vision is being betrayed through "reinterpretation." And I would NOT describe it as "excavation," because that word has a very different meaning.

by Anonymousreply 458June 22, 2023 3:56 PM

One woman shows making a comeback a la Jodie comer? Oh boy. Haha

by Anonymousreply 459June 22, 2023 3:58 PM

LOVE Snook in Succession, but I really don't enjoy one-person shows. I understand the appeal (for producers).

by Anonymousreply 460June 22, 2023 4:00 PM

[quote] Broadway musicals don’t enjoy the same advantage as opera. In opera, the classics are continually in rotation, so if you see a bad, experimental production, it’s only a few years until the opera will rotate around again with a beautifully produced classical production.

But an experimental version of a classic musical will close, never to be seen again, if everyone hates it. Opera productions keep coming back year after year.

by Anonymousreply 461June 22, 2023 4:15 PM

So we will never see West Side Story again?

by Anonymousreply 462June 22, 2023 4:16 PM

[quote]One woman shows making a comeback a la Jodie comer? Oh boy. Haha

They never really went away. But the actress has to be strong to keep the audience engaged.

Fleabag

Shirley Valentine

The Belle of Amherst

by Anonymousreply 463June 22, 2023 4:20 PM

Lillian

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464June 22, 2023 4:22 PM

And Holland Taylor as Ann Richards.

by Anonymousreply 465June 22, 2023 4:24 PM

[quote]And Holland Taylor as Ann Richards.

Which was a bore!

by Anonymousreply 466June 22, 2023 4:30 PM

[quote]But an experimental version of a classic musical will close, never to be seen again, if everyone hates it. Opera productions keep coming back year after year.

Not always, R461. The Met Opera replaced the Franco Zeffirelli TOSCA with a production so despised that it only lasted a few seasons before being replaced with a more conventional one.

[quote]So we will never see West Side Story again?

R462, that's not what R461 wrote. Quite the opposite. Read it again.

by Anonymousreply 467June 22, 2023 4:31 PM

Anyone see Martin Short in The Producers? I adore Marty, but he seems like he'd be wasted as Leo. His energy is much more "Max". Is there anything in the script that says Max has to be 'the fat one'?

by Anonymousreply 468June 22, 2023 4:33 PM

Yes, there are lines in the script that describe Max as "fat," but it's arguable whether that's essential to the character.

by Anonymousreply 469June 22, 2023 4:34 PM

I could eat something.

by Anonymousreply 470June 22, 2023 4:36 PM

So you're saying a skinny guy couldn't play a fat guy? It's ACTING. Haven't you ever heard of weight blind casting?....

by Anonymousreply 471June 22, 2023 4:39 PM

41 Musicals That Brought LGBTQIA+ Experiences to the Stage

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472June 22, 2023 4:39 PM

Playbill.com just sent me an email that was a gigantic ad shilling for the ACLU to send them money to help the trannys. Before I deleted it, I unsubscribed from Playbill.com.

Know your audience, assholes.

by Anonymousreply 473June 22, 2023 4:49 PM

Oh...my...GOD, r473, how GHASTLY!

by Anonymousreply 474June 22, 2023 4:54 PM

You know, I enjoyed NPH as Tonys host, but I really didn't like it when he commented on Angela Lansbury's bust.

[quote]"Angela Lansbury! Are those real?"

by Anonymousreply 475June 22, 2023 5:04 PM

I saw JAJ as Jack in Newsies, and he was the best of them all, including the robotic Jeremy Jordan.

by Anonymousreply 476June 22, 2023 5:32 PM

[quote] I saw Scotland, PA and remember absolutely nothing about it.

Honestly, though, do you remember much of anything these days?

by Anonymousreply 477June 22, 2023 6:20 PM

The last decent production (actually, much better than decent) of Shakespeare the Public Theater did was THE MERCHANT OF VENICE with Al Pacino and Lily Rabe 10 years ago and it justifiably moved from the Park to Broadway and sold out. Except for updating it to 1900 Venice, it was a "traditional" production. Why doesn't Oskar Eustis realize that's how to garner bigger audiences and critical acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 478June 22, 2023 6:31 PM

JAJ threw the first brick at Splash Musical Mondays

by Anonymousreply 479June 22, 2023 6:37 PM

No, R479, that was Alex Newell.

by Anonymousreply 480June 22, 2023 6:46 PM

I've always had mixed feelings about JAJ. On the one hand, you can view him as an out gay performer who's obviously not afraid of displaying his sexual orientation or his sexuality in terms of nudity and sexual situations on stage, all of which is good. The thing is, he displays his body in sexual situations on stage SO OFTEN that it can seem exploitative and he comes across as slutty.

by Anonymousreply 481June 22, 2023 7:27 PM

R457 That Sydney Theater Company production of Dorian Gray is just stupid. Ivo Von Hove done even worse than he does it.

by Anonymousreply 482June 22, 2023 7:43 PM

20 weeks for Gutenberg no matter how cheap the weekly costs are seems like a stretch. probably would have been better playing the summer. Are these guys a draw? Gad has the Frozen connection and has a movie career--Rannell is a working actor but dont know that he sells tickets on his name

by Anonymousreply 483June 22, 2023 7:46 PM

Will the Oceangate saga boost Titanique's numbers?

by Anonymousreply 484June 22, 2023 7:50 PM

Gutenberg maybe should have announced them for 10 weeks and given themselves the option to bring in two new guys

by Anonymousreply 485June 22, 2023 7:51 PM

[quote] 20 weeks for Gutenberg no matter how cheap the weekly costs are seems like a stretch. probably would have been better playing the summer.

That’s much smarter. Advertise for 10 weeks and then say, “Held over by popular demand.” But maybe those two wouldn’t sign for less than a 20 week paycheck. And maybe they don’t mind performing to an audience of 25.

by Anonymousreply 486June 22, 2023 7:53 PM

[quote] 41 Musicals That Brought LGBTQIA+ Experiences to the Stage

The intern forgot several musicals.

Aspects of Love (the title is a clue) has a lesbian kiss.

by Anonymousreply 487June 22, 2023 7:58 PM

Lesbians don't count in today's LGBTAlphabetSoup

by Anonymousreply 488June 22, 2023 7:59 PM

[quote]Are these guys a draw? Gad has the Frozen connection and has a movie career--Rannell is a working actor but dont know that he sells tickets on his name

The language in the press release praising the talents of Gad and Rannells is over-the-top -- especially, IMHO, as applied to Rannells. "Two of the most gifted comedic actors of their generation" is what the release says. Okay.....

by Anonymousreply 489June 22, 2023 8:06 PM

I'd rather Gad do Sideshow with Jenifer Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 490June 22, 2023 8:07 PM

Gad & Rannells-2 Cis White men on stage together. it's practically unheard of! WHERES THE DIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get out the pitchforks!

by Anonymousreply 491June 22, 2023 8:10 PM

a Times rave for Piazza. So is this the new formula? anything thats thrown together in a couple of weeks (Into the Woods, parade, Piazza) is sublime after two week of of rehearsal and a few previews--moves to Bway and has a nice run/subsequent tour--and everything else that does reading after workshop after regional production ad nauseam either dies instantly after opening or never comes in. producers should just skip all the developmental incarnations save money and time and open cold like in the old days.

by Anonymousreply 492June 22, 2023 8:19 PM

[quote]producers should just skip all the developmental incarnations save money and time and open cold like in the old days.

When did shows open cold?

by Anonymousreply 493June 22, 2023 8:32 PM

R492, incredible as this may seem, you apparently don't realize the HUGE difference here is that the Encores! productions are all REVIVALS of known-quantity shows, all of which presumably had readings, workshops and/or regional productions the first time out. Sorry, but that's rather idiotic of you.

by Anonymousreply 494June 22, 2023 8:33 PM

Yeah, developmental 'incarnations' are for new, unproven musicals, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 495June 22, 2023 8:35 PM

[quote]The thing is, he displays his body in sexual situations on stage SO OFTEN that it can seem exploitative and he comes across as slutty.

I like that in a man.

by Anonymousreply 496June 22, 2023 8:36 PM

r493

Sweeney Todd opened cold

by Anonymousreply 497June 22, 2023 8:45 PM

Speaking of London theatre, did anyone else see the National's recent Phaedra with Janet McTeer? I watched it on National Theatre At Home, and it was a LOT, performances, set, sound, everything.

by Anonymousreply 498June 22, 2023 8:49 PM

shows in the 60s/70s/80's. for the most part opened cold. (outside of London transfers etc). Of course NY NY opened cold and see what that got you--but probably wouldn't have been significantly better with a bunch of developmental incarnations. there was no reason for it to exist

by Anonymousreply 499June 22, 2023 8:49 PM

Hit the Sky opened out of town to raves.

by Anonymousreply 500June 22, 2023 8:51 PM

Aged in Wood opened cold a was a big hit for Margo Channing

by Anonymousreply 501June 22, 2023 8:53 PM

How long did Moose Murders play out of town?

by Anonymousreply 502June 22, 2023 8:54 PM

No previews, r497?

by Anonymousreply 503June 22, 2023 9:01 PM

[quote]shows in the 60s/70s/80's. for the most part opened cold.

Are you saying "opening cold" is *with* previews, r499?

by Anonymousreply 504June 22, 2023 9:05 PM

R468 -- I saw Marty in The Producers in LA and he was phenomenal. Of course, he was Mel's original choice for Bloom opposite Lane before settling on Broderick when Short turned it down (he didn't want to relocate his young family at the time). He really stole the show from Jason Alexander's proficient (but ultimately toothless) Max and even with all the shtick, he gave the part a lot of heart. He reminded me far more of Wilder than Broderick ever did (though I did love Broderick opposite Nathan).

Nathan and Marty would've made for a hell of a duo on Broadway. Akin to Nathan and his old pal Lee Evans, who was also dynamite casting in London. I'm actually surprised they didn't try and grab Marty for NYC at some point before the show's closure. Your point, however, that Marty is more a Max energy than Leo, is spot on. And having seen Marty replace Nathan in "It's Only A Play", he absolutely could've destroyed as Bialystock and likely given us a wildly NOT-Nathan take on the part.

Of course Stro's militant stage management would likely have never allowed such a thing (but that's a whole other kettle of fish!) Interestingly, I believe Short was in the running for replacing Lane in the '96 FORUM before it ultimately went to Whoopi. He would've killed!

by Anonymousreply 505June 22, 2023 9:05 PM

R498 As bad as the Helen Mirren production?

by Anonymousreply 506June 22, 2023 9:06 PM

R504. yes with a few previews

by Anonymousreply 507June 22, 2023 9:10 PM

[quote]Sweeney Todd opened cold

And it was one of the rare exceptions to the rule.

by Anonymousreply 508June 22, 2023 9:13 PM

Sweeney had 16 previews.

by Anonymousreply 509June 22, 2023 9:21 PM

More Bares, more JAJ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510June 22, 2023 9:34 PM

Re: Andrew Rannells. The FALSETTOS revival (which I mostly liked) proved that neither Rannells nor Christian Borle are the mega-stars that some believe, especially when it comes to box office.

And yes, lots of people know Gad from FROZEN, but will that sell tickets? I'm not sure.

by Anonymousreply 511June 22, 2023 9:34 PM

I think it’s stretching to call that review a rave - it’s actually fairly unenthusiastic about everything except Miles

by Anonymousreply 512June 22, 2023 9:55 PM

There's never been such a cluster of less sexier photos than at R510

by Anonymousreply 513June 22, 2023 10:24 PM

R513 Amen.

Looks like some cracked out production of Godspell.

by Anonymousreply 514June 22, 2023 11:01 PM

I'm thinking the FROZEN fanbase could care less about Gutenberg.

by Anonymousreply 515June 22, 2023 11:15 PM

Let it go, r515.

by Anonymousreply 516June 22, 2023 11:18 PM

Come to think of it, Marty Short would be stellar in a revival of FORUM. Phil Silvers did it when he was 61 and *destroyed* by everyone's account. Yes, Short is 73, but 61 might as well have been 73 in 1972!

With his renewed profile with 'Murders in the Building', I bet he'd be a huge draw too. Way more so than that cunt Corden! And like Lane, Short's one of the few guys left who really understands how to play that kind of old school comedy.

by Anonymousreply 517June 22, 2023 11:35 PM

I saw the Janet McTeer PHAEDRA at The National in March and found it fascinating, if somewhat flawed. First of all, it wasn't really an adaptation of Phaedra. Though it was the story of an older married woman falling in love with a younger man, there were really no other parallels to the classic play except for the tragic end. And nobody was named Phaedra. It was indeed highly theatrical and often very funny in its wildly changing tones, all played out in chic modern clothes within a huge revolving glass box. The glass was invisible until lots of blood was shockingly smeared on it in the final scene. I can't imagine it could come off well in a filmed version but it was electric onstage.

I'm the poster upthread who rambled on about how far superior London theater is to NY and this production, IMHO, even with all its flawed craziness is proof of that. This sort of bold production would never be initiated in NY either commercially or at a non-profit....and that's sad. And in that same week I also saw Guys & Dolls at The Bridge, Streetcar with Paul Mescal, A Little Life with James Norton, Medea with Sophie Okenado and Ben Daniels, the immersive Cabaret, a new play (not very good) at The Almeida and the American play Marjorie Prime with dear Anne Reid at The Menier Chocolate Factory.

by Anonymousreply 518June 22, 2023 11:42 PM

Safe to say ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME got the only review that matters. Britney has spoken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519June 23, 2023 12:27 AM

That's rather brief for a Britney caption...

by Anonymousreply 520June 23, 2023 12:29 AM

Britney didn't write that. It actually makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 521June 23, 2023 12:30 AM

R28 she does, sweetie, she does

by Anonymousreply 522June 23, 2023 12:32 AM

[quote]Gad & Rannells-2 Cis White men on stage together. it's practically unheard of! WHERES THE DIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - !!! Get out the pitchforks!

Sara Porkalob will be understudying both roles.

by Anonymousreply 523June 23, 2023 12:55 AM

I recently worked with a young actress who didn't know what a playwright does. The director very politely told her the playwright is the person who writes the play. This girl was a theatre major in college. I sometimes worry about these youngins and what kind of an education they're getting.

by Anonymousreply 524June 23, 2023 1:17 AM

Expecting me to understudy two roles is extremely insensitive. I am quite willing and able to understudy 3/4 of one of the roles, but no more than that.

by Anonymousreply 525June 23, 2023 1:21 AM

R450: You might be happiest with the most recent one, Gays on Broadway.

It's very funny but also a serious history, with drag queens, playwrights, actors, Tallulah Bankhead, La Cage aux Folles, Marlon Brando's bare torso, off-Broadway nude shows, Eva Le Gallienne, Bell, Book and Candle (they're really gays, not witches), and a funny rant about how people today don't know what a musical's book is. And Gore Vidal snarks Tennessee Williams.

by Anonymousreply 526June 23, 2023 1:32 AM

r505 - thanks for that post. I'm the one who asked about Marty. This is probably too much, but what if Marty and Jason had done what Laura and Cynthia did with the Little Foxes and alternated the lead roles. I could very clearly envision a fantastic Max from Marty and I could see Jason channel some of the nervous George Costanza energy into Leo. Being a bit portly could add to the reasons he has such anxiety, too. Anyway, that's ancient history at this time.

R517 - I'd love to see Marty in any musical comedy, but I do wonder if he'd want to make that kind of commitment at this stage of his life. Right now, I'd settle for him and Steve co-hosting the Oscars, Emmys or Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 527June 23, 2023 1:45 AM

Has he ever been offered Buddy in FOLLIES?

by Anonymousreply 528June 23, 2023 1:54 AM

R528 - ALWAYS a way to bring it back to Follies. LOL

by Anonymousreply 529June 23, 2023 2:19 AM

[quote]Has he ever been offered Buddy in FOLLIES?

He avoids being a part of flops.

by Anonymousreply 530June 23, 2023 2:38 AM

Are we pretending his movie career never happened then?

by Anonymousreply 531June 23, 2023 2:40 AM

r527, did you not see Marty on Broadway in FAME BECOMES ME? It was a lot of fun and he generously showcased his supporting cast Mary Birdsong, Nicole Parker, Brooks Ashmanskas and Capathia Jenkins.

by Anonymousreply 532June 23, 2023 2:44 AM

I was lucky enough to see Martin Short as Chuck Baxter in PROMISES, PROMISES at Encores! years ago. That was an excellent production overall, and he was GREAT in it, even though it's not the sort of role in which he usually scores.

by Anonymousreply 533June 23, 2023 3:41 AM

Being an infrequently working Broadway composer with one giant hit four decades ago must be so frustrating. I wonder how someone like Henry Krieger fills the years.

by Anonymousreply 534June 23, 2023 6:47 AM

[quote] I wonder how someone like Henry Krieger fills the years.

You'd be surprised how busy one can get being a full time bitter cunt.

by Anonymousreply 535June 23, 2023 6:56 AM

[quote]ALWAYS a way to bring it back to Follies.

Did we ever leave it?

by Anonymousreply 536June 23, 2023 7:36 AM

Claybourne Elder's playing Gaston in BATB at the Muny and I'm loving how much they have his crotch padded. It's looking huge, more so than in the blue briefs in Company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537June 23, 2023 9:39 AM

And that's hot little Tommy Bracco with Claybourne though the costumer seems to have made poor Tommy has sexless as possible.

by Anonymousreply 538June 23, 2023 1:02 PM

[quote]I was lucky enough to see Martin Short as Chuck Baxter in PROMISES, PROMISES at Encores! years ago. That was an excellent production overall, and he was GREAT in it, even though it's not the sort of role in which he usually scores.

Short and Baranski

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539June 23, 2023 1:13 PM

[quote]And that's hot little Tommy Bracco with Claybourne though the costumer seems to have made poor Tommy has sexless as possible.

Two queens just sitting and talking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540June 23, 2023 1:16 PM

Sheldon Harnick is dead to me. 99. Good run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541June 23, 2023 1:38 PM

He had a flat ass and he couldn’t live forever.

by Anonymousreply 542June 23, 2023 2:00 PM

R524 Who's Pearl Harbor?

by Anonymousreply 543June 23, 2023 2:04 PM

Who will be getting all those FIDDLER royalties now?

by Anonymousreply 544June 23, 2023 2:04 PM

R513. of all those guys, Id pick Jerry Mitchell-who actually has all his clothes on-and probably the sex would be better Dont understand how all of those other guys basically have the exact same body--like its standard issue. (props though to Josh Drake--hes pretty fine)

by Anonymousreply 545June 23, 2023 2:07 PM

some amazing longevity amongst the theatre professionals of the greatest generation-Harnick, kinder, Strouse, Grey, Marilyn Maye, Lansbury, JE Jones, Mel Brooks, carl Reiner, Norman Lear, Laurents etc. maybe its the creative spirit or because they have a lot of money (or both)

by Anonymousreply 546June 23, 2023 2:09 PM

Re the animated KING AND I: One thing it got right that the various stage/film adaptations of the real story never did was that they rightly made Tuptim and Crown Prince Chulanlongkorn lovers with a happy ending -- instead of the fictional doomed romance between Tuptim and Lun Tha, who doesn't even appear in that movie.

In reality, Tuptim was one of the wives of Chulanlongkorn (and not King Mongkut) and she lived a pretty happy and long life..

At any rate, the cartoon has one of my favorite renditions of "I Have Dreamed":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547June 23, 2023 2:11 PM

And....how many of them are Jewish, r546?

by Anonymousreply 548June 23, 2023 2:11 PM

[quote]those other guys basically have the exact same body--like its standard issue

I seem to have missed the day those were issued.

by Anonymousreply 549June 23, 2023 2:12 PM

R549. Out of Stock. (supply chain issues-blame Covid)

by Anonymousreply 550June 23, 2023 2:16 PM

Speaking of one-person plays coming out of Australia (the reason is that non-musical theatre here is poor as church mice and we just had some of the world's longest lockdowns) -- Suzi Miller's latest hit was a one-woman play about RBG. You can probably bet on seeing that in London and New York in coming months.

by Anonymousreply 551June 23, 2023 2:24 PM

When is Lillias White done with Hadestown? What about Reeve?

by Anonymousreply 552June 23, 2023 2:53 PM

Harnick was the greatest lyricist (after SS and Hammerstein) in the latter half of the20th c. IMHO. They damn well better dim those lights!

by Anonymousreply 553June 23, 2023 2:55 PM

R534- Krieger probably fills his time convincing hubby Robert Joy he was never heterosexual and married to a woman.

by Anonymousreply 554June 23, 2023 2:58 PM

R551 yea… because Australians / Brits have such a sensitive and nuanced understanding of the American legal system, history of political theory and U.S. constitutional law, and the inner workings of SCOTUS. Next…🥴

by Anonymousreply 555June 23, 2023 3:23 PM

It helps that Suzie Miller was a lawyer, R555.

by Anonymousreply 556June 23, 2023 3:47 PM

Since he's in the title of this thread, Randy R is replacing MTM as a co-host of Broadway Barks with Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 557June 23, 2023 3:54 PM

r543...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558June 23, 2023 4:01 PM

R556 Objection! Assumes facts not in evidence. And, lack of relevance.

by Anonymousreply 559June 23, 2023 4:04 PM

Marty is great but he's a little old for 8 shows a week, I think.

A FORUM revival is really needed. Such a funny show. There was a Christopher Fitzgerald one in the works years ago--some DLers will have more facts on that, I'm sure. That would be great--he's fantastic.

I have a theory that CAMELOT will be LCT's last Golden Age musical revival for a while and they'll pivot to Sondheim. Very high-end productions for their subscriber base. NIGHT MUSIC is an obvious choice, but I think FORUM could be great there--they could do the full Roman deal. And cheap costumes!

I hear rumors Andre Bishop may retire soon, and I wonder if that means Bart Sher would move on, maybe an artistic revamping over there with a pivot away from Kern, Porter, Rodgers, so forth.

by Anonymousreply 560June 23, 2023 4:13 PM

Thanks for that clip, R547. That's David Burnham's beautiful voice singing "I Have Dreamed." Of course, one other thing the animated film got right was including that gorgeous song, which was very unfortunately cut from the 1956 film.

by Anonymousreply 561June 23, 2023 4:15 PM

[quote]A FORUM revival is really needed. Such a funny show. There was a Christopher Fitzgerald one in the works years ago--some DLers will have more facts on that, I'm sure. That would be great--he's fantastic.

I had never heard of a FORUM revival being planned about Christopher Fitzgerald, and that's surprising if true, because although he'd be very good as Pseudolus, I don't think he has enough of a ticket-selling name that any producers would be on board for that. Of course, there were plans for a revival with James Corden, but that project fell apart when he got the late-night TV gig. (See link below)

[quote]I have a theory that CAMELOT will be LCT's last Golden Age musical revival for a while and they'll pivot to Sondheim. Very high-end productions for their subscriber base. NIGHT MUSIC is an obvious choice, but I think FORUM could be great there--they could do the full Roman deal. And cheap costumes!

LCT may well pivot to Sondheim at some point in the near future, but as of now, several sources have reported that the next musical revival in the Beaumont will be Adam Guettel's FLOYD COLLINS, which would be that show's first Broadway production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562June 23, 2023 4:24 PM

[quote]several sources have reported that the next musical revival in the Beaumont will be Adam Guettel's FLOYD COLLINS, which would be that show's first Broadway production.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the surging interest in John Edward Jones (26-year-old married father of 2 and medical student) who in 2009 went spelunking with his brother for old time's sake the day before Thanksgiving and wound up stuck upside down over 100 feet below and eventually suffocated to death after a whole day despite every effort to extract him. What's more, unlike Floyd Collins, his body was never recovered and remains there to this day.

Anyway, I have noticed many YouTube/TikTok videos retelling the tragic case, which is how I now know about it.

by Anonymousreply 563June 23, 2023 4:56 PM

So if he had lived, Floyd would have “explored” the Titanic and ended up as sclurm? …just closing the loop here.

by Anonymousreply 564June 23, 2023 4:59 PM

R564, Yes, I would.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565June 23, 2023 5:57 PM

[quote]Sheldon Harnick is dead to me.

This just never gets old.

by Anonymousreply 566June 23, 2023 6:08 PM

At a recent party, I heard that someone was"fixing"Floyd Collins. Maybe in anticipation of LCT? But what's to fix?

by Anonymousreply 567June 23, 2023 6:25 PM

If Pizza moves, and Wine and Roses transfers, and Collins is at the Beaumont, will it be a Guettelpaloozai in the future?

by Anonymousreply 568June 23, 2023 6:27 PM

R567, I seem to recall hearing that maybe Guettel himself has made some revisions to FLOYD COLLINS since the original, but even if that's true, I don't think that's viewed as fixing something that's broken.

by Anonymousreply 569June 23, 2023 6:32 PM

R569, The Audiobook version of Mary Rodgers’ memoir, read by Christine Baranski, is being released on August 1st.

by Anonymousreply 570June 23, 2023 7:14 PM

I'd blow Adam Guettel.

by Anonymousreply 571June 23, 2023 7:38 PM

Who's reading Jesse Green's footnotes?

by Anonymousreply 572June 23, 2023 7:40 PM

The woman at the nail salon doing his pedicure.

by Anonymousreply 573June 23, 2023 8:08 PM

Oh Floyd Collins--interesting. That feels like a good fit for LCT. Guettel has that UWS vibe, etc. I don't know the show, is it good? I like bluegrass music a lot. And Stravinsky.

by Anonymousreply 574June 23, 2023 9:08 PM

I just wonder if the Beaumont is too big for FLOYD COLLINS.

Andre Bishop cannot retire too soon. I wonder if his job will be offered to Bart Sher. But maybe not after that CAMELOT disaster. There don't seem to be any other obvious candidates though.....

by Anonymousreply 575June 23, 2023 9:31 PM

I have it on good authority that the role of Fanny in the Funny Girl national tour will be played by a young complete unknown. I'd offer her name if I could remember it. It'll be interesting to see if the show sells on the road starless (though maybe the supporting roles will have some names).

by Anonymousreply 576June 23, 2023 9:35 PM

The Cottage sounds like a play Paul Lynde would have toured in on the Kenley circuit back in the summer of '73.

by Anonymousreply 577June 24, 2023 12:27 AM

The talk earlier about how Martin Short is one of the few performers who still knows how to play it old school made me think of Bill Irwin. Obviously, he wouldn't be right for Pseudolus, but maybe as Erronius?

by Anonymousreply 578June 24, 2023 12:35 AM

No matter who you cast. Forum will go over like a lead weight with contemporary audiences. Take your pick: Elliot Page, Martin Short, Alex Newell, Ruthie Ann Miles. It won’t matter. This humor is from an era that passed long ago.

by Anonymousreply 579June 24, 2023 12:51 AM

And then there's the sexism, R579.

by Anonymousreply 580June 24, 2023 1:48 AM

[quote] I seem to recall hearing that maybe Guettel himself has made some revisions to FLOYD COLLINS since the original, but even if that's true, I don't think that's viewed as fixing something that's broken.

Floyd will now be played by a non-binary woman of color.

by Anonymousreply 581June 24, 2023 2:08 AM

No, r581, no he won't.

by Anonymousreply 582June 24, 2023 2:20 AM

No, R581, no they won't.

by Anonymousreply 583June 24, 2023 2:23 AM

Forum outdated??? No prob! I'll fix it.

by Anonymousreply 584June 24, 2023 2:26 AM

[quote] Forum outdated??? No prob! I'll ruin it!

FIFY

And collect awards and a paycheck along the way!

by Anonymousreply 585June 24, 2023 2:37 AM

R560, the Fitzgerald “Forum” revival was all male. Directed by his Tony-nominated wife Jessica Stone. And David (“offer ONLY!”) Turner as Hysterium.

What happened to THAT guy? For all I know, he’s the star of a Paramount Plus show, but…. He gave an interview when he was one half of ‘Daisy Gamble’ in the GODAWFUL “On a Clear Day” revival where he said, “Barbara Harris was a bunch of Second City ‘tics…’ I think I bring more to the table, frankly…”

And of course Brooks was in there somewhere, at some point.

Like Roscoe at the Weismann Follies, “as always…”

And “naturist” Kevin Chamberlin.

Maybe NOW it would work, with all the courtesans being non-binary and Harvey as Domina.

And of course, Dylan Mulvaney as Philia.

Forget what I just wrote.

by Anonymousreply 586June 24, 2023 2:38 AM

New thread when needed (soon) after this is full

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587June 24, 2023 2:43 AM

We still don't know if Randy R was chained in the Sondheim dungeon.....

by Anonymousreply 588June 24, 2023 2:44 AM

David Turner works regularly.Think he was in the Into the Woods at Encores, right? He' salso incredibly wealthy, flies his own airplane, and supposedly does good deeds with it.

by Anonymousreply 589June 24, 2023 2:44 AM

I have to say I liked David Turner in Clear Day. He was the bright spot for me. The only bright spot.

by Anonymousreply 590June 24, 2023 2:47 AM

Something spirited...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591June 24, 2023 3:01 AM

[quote]Floyd will now be played by a non-binary woman of color.

Probably not, BUT in all honesty and with all kidding aside, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they cast a black guy as Floyd. Which may or may not mean that the rest of his family will have to be black as well.

by Anonymousreply 592June 24, 2023 3:20 AM

What is the source of David Turner's "incredible wealth"?

by Anonymousreply 593June 24, 2023 3:21 AM

Why, r593, can you use any money today?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594June 24, 2023 3:26 AM

Todd Haimes (RIP) offered to bring that all-male FORUM with Christopher Fitzgerald (which had been done at Williamstown and 2 River in NJ) to the Roundabout but only if the director Jessica Stone recast it with a star instead of her husband Fitzgerald. She admirably (IMHO) turned him down.

Now that Todd (RIP) is out of the way, the Roundabout would be smart to get the show with Fitzgerald. It would certainly pick up their non-season.

by Anonymousreply 595June 24, 2023 3:35 AM

R594 - today and....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596June 24, 2023 3:37 AM

Have to get some Judy in here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597June 24, 2023 3:45 AM

R595, that's a great idea. And Haimes was stupid to insist on Fitzgerald being replaced by a star. While it's true that Fitzgerald's name alone doesn't sell tickets, that was an excellent production of ....FORUM (I saw it at Two River in Jersey), and it would probably have gotten great reviews in New York and easily sold well throughout a limited run for Roundabout.

by Anonymousreply 598June 24, 2023 3:47 AM

And ...

by Anonymousreply 599June 24, 2023 4:27 AM

we're ...

by Anonymousreply 600June 24, 2023 4:27 AM

done.

by Anonymousreply 601June 24, 2023 4:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!