Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Olives

Why are green olves sold in glass jars and black olives sold in metal cans?

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2023 8:37 PM

Uh, have you not ever noticed that you can get black olives in jars and green olives in cans as well?

by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2023 4:08 AM

Not at Aldi's, bitch @ r1.

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2023 4:13 AM

The black olives in jars are stuff like Kalamata olives, which are different from the ones in the can.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2023 4:14 AM

Several reasons.

Black olives are cheaper, and necessitate cheaper packaging.

Black olives are usually used in cooking or consumed quickly. Green olives are consumed individually, and may do better pickling a bit longer in a jar.

Google next time, you wild bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2023 4:18 AM

There is an answer to your question, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2023 4:53 AM

Thanks, r5, that was interesting.

Poor old olive lady.

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2023 4:59 AM

[quote]Not at Aldi's, bitch @ [R1].

OP, I apologize: I am very sorry that I offended you. I didn’t realize you were a POOR!

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2023 6:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2023 5:32 PM

Oil cured Cento brand black olives are sold in jars.

by Anonymousreply 9June 6, 2023 5:34 PM

I remember hearing this story mentioned on R5 on NPR or Marketplace - same thing - on the radio. It wasn't only olives that got canned. Food poisonings also caused an upheaval in the pepperoncini business. They also were newly required to be pasteurized, but most varieties that were pickled in jars turned to mush when heated to canning temps. New varieties of pepperoncini had to be identified and cultivated.

by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2023 11:25 PM

Green olives are condo. Black olives are ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2023 11:28 PM

Aldi’s? Poor sad OP. Stick to Spaghettio’s

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2023 11:28 PM

[quote]Black olives are ghetto.

Tell that to the kalamatas. They’ll kick your ass.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2023 12:05 AM

Fun fact: Marie Osmond's first name is really Olive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2023 8:13 PM

I just got some "fresh cure" green olives in a can. I actually got them because I was curious because I don't think I'd ever seen them before. It's a regional store brand.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2023 8:27 PM

The packaging choice for olives, whether they are sold in cans or glass jars, can vary based on several factors, including cultural preferences, preservation methods, and marketing strategies. Here are some reasons why black olives are often sold in cans while green olives are commonly found in glass jars:

1. Processing methods: Black olives typically undergo more processing and curing than green olives. Black olives are usually picked fully ripe and then subjected to various methods, such as fermentation or oxidation, to enhance their flavor and soften their texture. These processing methods make black olives more suitable for canning, as they can withstand the high heat and pressure involved in the canning process.

2. Shelf stability: Canned goods generally have a longer shelf life than products stored in glass jars. Canning involves sealing the product in an airtight container, which helps preserve the olives for an extended period. The processing methods used for black olives, such as canning in brine or oil, contribute to their shelf stability. Green olives, on the other hand, may be more delicate and have a shorter shelf life, which is why they are often sold in glass jars that provide a tighter seal and better protection against spoilage.

3. Marketing and tradition: Packaging choices can be influenced by cultural preferences and consumer expectations. In some regions, black olives have traditionally been associated with canned products, while green olives are associated with the visual appeal of being displayed in glass jars. These packaging choices can reflect cultural traditions and influence consumer perceptions and buying habits.

4. Visual presentation: Green olives, with their vibrant color, are visually appealing and are often packed in glass jars to showcase their natural hue. The transparency of the glass allows customers to see the olives inside, which can enhance their appeal. Canned black olives, which may undergo more processing and color enhancement, might not have the same visual appeal and are, therefore, commonly sold in cans that hide their appearance.

It's important to note that these reasons are general observations and may not apply to every brand or region. Packaging choices can vary depending on manufacturers, market demand, and other factors.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2023 8:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!