Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Forgotten YA novel (1970?)

There was a novel I read as a tween which I found on a friend’s shelf in the 70s. It had originally been published under another title so maybe was from the late 60s. It was in that type of paperback Scholastic Books format, but I’ve never seen it in their old catalogues online.

A boy and a girl’s parents die in a foggy car accident (I think) and the boy is sent to live with a very conventional, aunt or uncle, who have a son. The girl is bitter because she wants a typical suburban life like that yet is instead sent to live with a more Boho artist aunt. She paints flower imprinted tiles in splotchy blues and splotchy greens.

Later the aunt gets a boyfriend and plans to marry and the girl realizes she’s come to like a looser lifestyle. The aunt puts on a suit and tells a social worker the couple wants to adopt the child after the wedding.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? It might have been set in Canada because they drink mugs of tea… but I don’t remember the book being UK-ish.

I don’t even know why I want to find this book, it’s just been on my mind lately! One of its titles might have been “The House on the Cliff” or something, but nothing like it comes up as a Google search : (

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2023 7:43 AM

The book is "The High House" by Honor Arundel. I also loved it as a tween—and was so inspired by the city aunt's boho lifestyle that I emulated it myself later on. It's set in Edinburgh—that's why you are thinking cliffs. This book haunted me, too, and I also could not remember the title, so I posted on an online forum in the early 2000s and someone wrote in the info, based on my description, which sounds a lot like yours. The girl character's name is Emma and there are a couple of sequels--I liked "Emma In Love" the best.

by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2023 2:53 AM

I read it as well in the mid Seventies. Your description hit me immediately.

by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2023 3:05 AM

Wow, I definitely remember that author’s name—how can you forget “Honor Arundel” ?? That must be an anagram. I looked through the titles of her books and I don’t recall reading any of them.

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2023 3:26 AM

[quote] Wow, I definitely remember that author’s name—how can you forget “Honor Arundel” ?? That must be an anagram.

That's what Hutch said: The name is an anagram. That's all he said.

by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2023 3:31 AM

You remember Honor Arundel now, but not as a tween.

by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2023 3:39 AM

Thanks r1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2023 3:55 AM

[quote] Wow, I definitely remember that author’s name—how can you forget “Honor Arundel” ?? That must be an anagram.

It is! It is an anagram! I used an anagram solver and I think it’s a message meant specifically for us!

Honor Arundel = [bold][italic]Annul her odor[/bold][/italic]

*gasp* 🫢

It’s about CHERYL!

The author must have had a prophecy and you are our anointed guide. She’s telling us to stop Cheryl from doing something truly awful, something so awful it could result in the entire destruction of the world or undo the entire fabric of space and time!

Why Cheryl could be sitting at home as we speak getting ready. She’s figured out how to finally remove the panties that were blessed by Jesus Christ himself and sewn from a piece of a simple dress of Mary Magdalene. The panties that the church imprisoned her in and forced to wear since the Dark Ages. And when she gets them off. And she sloooowly starts to spread open her knees…

NO! I can’t even think about it!

But what can we do?? R1, R2, you’ve read the book. You are our warriors! Guide our OP, our anointed prophet and savior and help him stop whatever she has planned before it’s too late!

But tell us more about the book because some rando coming off a BRF thread probably has some obscure piece of knowledge that will be the key to stopping this impending apocalypse! That’s how it always works in the movies!

But hurry!!

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2023 4:10 AM

R7.

by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2023 4:46 AM

R7 Off your meds again?

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2023 4:49 AM

R9, …yeah… 😞

I must have gotten into yours again

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2023 5:16 AM

OP, glad you got the title.

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2023 6:53 AM

R7 is obviously unwell.

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2023 7:33 AM

Any Judy Blume fans present?

by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2023 7:34 AM

[quote][R7] is obviously unwell.

This is datalounge. EVERYONE HERE is unwell.

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2023 7:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!