Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The First Social-Media Babies Are Growing Up—And They’re Horrified

How would you feel if millions of people watched your childhood tantrums?

"The children of the Facebook era-which truly began in 2006, when the platform opened to everyone-are growing up, preparing to enter the workforce, and facing the consequences of their parents' social-media use," Kate Lindsay writes. "Many are filling the shoes of a digital persona that's already been created, and that they have no power to erase."

The problem goes beyond embarrassing posts. aymi Barrett, now 24, grew up with a mother who posted her personal moments, from bath photos to medical problems to the fact that she was adopted, publicly on Facebook. Barrett was bullied by classmates who found her mom's posts and eventually dropped out of school; she says she was once followed home by a man she believes recognized her from the internet.

For a while, Barrett followed her mother's example, complaining on social media about her family and talking candidly about medical issues. Her younger followers, many of whom are far warier than the elders of oversharing, suggested she stop. Barrett has since become an advocate for children's internet privacy, testifying before the Washington State House earlier this year.

"She and her mom have no relationship now, in large part because of the wedge her mother's social-media habits put between them," Lindsay writes. "Even with other people, Barrett says, she's extremely private and can be paranoid about interacting. 'I get afraid to even tell my friends or my fiance something, because in the back of my mind I'm constantly like, "Is this gonna be weaponized against me on the internet?'”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2023 9:15 PM

I am shocked — shocked! — that social media posts have come back to bite the author, the subject or both in the ass!,

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2023 4:58 PM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2023 4:58 PM

Who do they sue?

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2023 5:00 PM

Can anybody else access the archive dot ph version of the article? I get an error message.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2023 6:49 PM

Mommy was an attention whore and all I got was this stupid name.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2023 8:45 PM

Gee, I wonder why I have OP blocked...

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2023 9:02 PM

paywall

*click*

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2023 9:10 PM

It's one thing to be an idiot teenager and post crap. But, if your parents are posting crap about you, that's a whole other issue that does need to be addressed.

Children are not the property of parents. Even the worst stage parents have legal obligations and restrictions.

I mean, are we supposed to believe that parents can do whatever they want with their children?

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2023 9:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!