Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FROM horror TV show, a bit like Lost, with the guy from Lost

Anybody else watching. Such good reviews but I’m finding the acting or dialogue a bit cringe this season. Ellis is a hottie, the main smiley character is the stuff of nightmares.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176June 29, 2023 7:17 PM

Here’s Ellis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2023 4:16 PM

I tried last year or whenever it premiered, and it was a too-slow-drip for me.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2023 4:18 PM

I'm watching. I started a thread about a week ago but seemed no one else has been watching. So far I'm hooked. Seems to be a lot of new or previously unheard of, to me at least, actors.

Yes, the smiley face guy is beyond fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2023 4:27 PM

Aside from Harold P., Eion Bailey, and a couple others, the acting is horrible. Especially the girl who plays Bailey’s daughter. She overacts in every scene. It’s awful. I hate her.

I think this show is best as a binge. I watched the entire first season in one go and it was great. This season I’m doing it weekly and it’s not as interesting.

But still, worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2023 4:29 PM

R4 yeah the acting is terrible, I’ve actually looked away a few times this season as it’s been so cringe. But I have to stick with it now, it’s worth it for the horror parts. Sorry R3 I did a search before I posted but couldn’t see your thread.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2023 4:33 PM

Just finished the latest episode minutes ago. Enjoyed the first season, which I binged in a couple of days, but it has leaned into its worst aspects in the second one. It's basically turned into Apple's Invasion where people are surrounded by the most magical shit, but instead waste most of their time on endless dialogues about the most inane relationship drama that would already be considered stale back in the Lost days.

The showrunners simply failed to understand what made the show so appealing. No one watches this for the relationship and the family crap, we all just want more of the central mystery.

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2023 4:36 PM

[quote]Sorry, I did a search before I posted but couldn’t see your thread.

The show has a horrible title (a fucking preposition!), it's pretty much impossible to find. I've seen people bitching about that on Reddit as well.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2023 4:39 PM

What's everyone's guess? Government experiment? If so, why are they ripping peoples guts out?

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2023 4:53 PM

OP how does the shows premise set up people not being able to leave. Is there some type of void, cars stop working at certain area. I read the shows description on Wikipedia but don’t want to read more as to avoid spoilers. I usually love shows like this. I like Harold as an actor and Lost was my shit. I often forget he’s the same actor in The Best Man franchise.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2023 5:46 PM

r9 You can try driving out of the town, but you just come back a couple of hours later on the same road. It loops in on itself.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2023 5:50 PM

[quote] a bit cringe

Oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2023 5:51 PM

That's how people talk these days, dear. No one says "cringeworthy" anymore except for old farts.

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2023 5:54 PM

R7 Funny when I type in the title on google. From(series) was one of the first suggested searches, you know the ones that autogenerate in drop menu as you type. not hard at all for me.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2023 5:56 PM

I meant it's impossible to find on DL, not in general. The Reddit folk, on the other hand, just don't like dumb titles.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2023 5:58 PM

Mike Markoff

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2023 5:59 PM

Oops, wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2023 5:59 PM

I ff through the lesbian drama.

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2023 6:14 PM

Donna is also clearly a dyke. Where are the gay men?

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2023 6:17 PM

Yeah the lesbian drama is going to end badly with one of them being a junkie. They'll have a fight and junkie will storm off into the night forcing everyone else to search for her and endangering their lives.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2023 6:20 PM

I ff through all the drama, lesbian or otherwise. I'm just too old for that shit and I've seen every permutation of it by this point. There are telltale signs whether they're gonna talk about the mystery or not.

I recall Simon Kinberg defending himself when people complained that Invasion was a soap with an alien invasion in the background. He said he wanted to show that there's human drama to be found in every situation and so he decided to center that. And everyone was like "HELL NO, that's not why we tune into your $200 million show, we just want to see the fucking aliens already!"

This show is obviously made for peanuts, but the same point remains.

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2023 6:22 PM

I have a feeling Fatima is pregnant with one of those creatures.

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2023 6:29 PM

Me and the husbear have been watching this thanks to hearing about it on DL (Thanks app and R3)

Just watched the most recent ep last night and realize I hate Ellis and “Fah-TEE-ma” (AND the stupid way they have to say her name!). Both of those characters are totally self precious especially Ellis. Has anyone else noticed he does absolutely nothing? Like, nothing. He breezes around the house in his little Jimi Hendrix/Lenny Kravitz shirts in the episodes where people are working around the house, gardening, setting up the radio tower, etc. etc.. Ms. Thing is doing nothing but walking around making dandelion necklaces or whatever the fuck he does. I think it was the last episode before this current one there was a brief scene where he picked up a box on the porch and put it in the back of a pick up truck and we both busted out laughing. That’s the only manual labor we’ve seen the guy do

I could never stand the actor who plays his dad on LOST. He literally runs around screaming all the time, he yells all of his lines and his acting is so over-the-top. I don’t know how he gets work. The Asian kid is cute but he’s become a major pain in the ass and of course, as everyone else has said, then you lesbian romance/drama is going to end up tanking whatever is left of this series. We had to wait an entire week just to see the aftermath of the killing the creepy, smiling guy to find out if he was going to burst into flames in the daylight or whatever. It’s such a slow burn.

I think it’s the family that are the most irritating characters though. I want to see a great white ripped the head off of that irritating child. Every time he starts babbling one of his stupid lines in that insipid, baby voice he does. That tiresome “cute“ up speak They’ve told him to do. It’s not cute or adorable. I wish that family were back in their over turned Winnebago. They bring absolutely nothing to the show. I find Jade somewhat interesting but he too tends to run around hysterically, screaming and yelling. So I guess all of you guys are right, the acting is so over-the-top bad that you can’t look away.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2023 7:07 PM

Bad acting aside Jim, Ellis, and Jade are all hotties.

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2023 7:11 PM

R12 Sounds idiotic, much like "husbear"

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2023 7:11 PM

r22 Cosign -- trying to trigger the delicate r24 with this one -- under everything you said.

Ellis is the obligatory hot guy dating the hottest chick around. Now that his mom's backstory has been resolved, he's useless and so the writers are trying to inject some life into him, but without much luck. The bearded guy whose friend got killed on the first day mistakes yelling for drama, as do most other characters. In addition to what you said about the lead, he also has oversized veneers, which give his voice an annoying muffled quality.

The precious upspeak on the overcoached kid actor is the worst, but that's kid actors for you. At least he maintains eye contact with his scene partners, so that's something.

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2023 7:19 PM

I ff through the doctor and her gf and Ellis and his gf. Don’t care about either.

Good episode this week.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2023 7:23 PM

Jade is loud and obnoxious. He reminds me of Billy Eichner- always fucking yelling.

He is good looking but annoying.

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2023 7:27 PM

R8 I’m not sure. I have no guesses or predictions. I hope the writers have a planned storyline and it doesn’t go nowhere like Lost. That would be the most frustrating thing.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2023 7:28 PM

Yeah, they spent like 1.5 episodes this season TALKING about Sarah. Everybody has to lose their mind and dive into a panic when they mention her lmao

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2023 7:29 PM

My favourite moment was two weeks or so ago when the episode ended with the sheriff going "we should talk" to the Korean lady, and then it just fades to black. Worst episode ending ever.

As for the mystery, I think it's a magical place, but the military/government is observing it from the outside.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2023 7:36 PM

[quote] the acting is so over-the-top bad that you can’t look away

This is so true. I’ve only ever hate-watched a couple of series before this one (Revenge and Downton Abbey), but they’ve all brought me much perverse pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2023 7:44 PM

David Alpay with erect nips on the slopes back home in Canada.

I just scoured his Insta and he pings to me. Classic feed of an "out privately, but not out publicly" actor, seen it a hundred times before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2023 8:03 PM

I wish they would delve into the autistic guy's past. I have a feeling he holds the key and was there when the town went to shit.

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2023 8:11 PM

Victor is the most interesting person to me. He does know shit, but doesn’t want to talk about it because it upsets him.

by Anonymousreply 34June 5, 2023 8:21 PM

Exactly R33 and 34 - but no one on this show seems to ask any questions. In this weeks episode the paramedic/Dr. chick went bat shit crazy when she cut open the monster to see what most people would figure they’d see. Dried up organs because that’s probably what monsters look like on the inside when they are assuming the shells of humans, so she has this tantrum that is completely out of character for her character. And she begins making an argument about how much it didn’t make sense. And the whole time I’m just thinking, “are these people really still delusional and not aware that all kinds of supernatural things are happening around them?! “ Of all the shit to have dialogue about, the innards of a monster is what blew her mind?! Why hasn’t ithe sheriff told people about the lighthouse he saw? Why wouldn’t everyone in town come up with an idea to trap one of the monsters? Build some sort of cage or some thing or at least try? That would be an interesting storyline. Why doesn’t someone think about sitting Victor down and insisting he tell them what the deal is with this town or what he knows? Most people who watch shows like this, don’t really want to see lovey-dovey nonsense and couple drama. And we certainly don’t want to see a “family“ story.

by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2023 8:31 PM

One minute, the daughter of the irritating family is wanting to experiment with the lez-lez. But nothing more's been made of it and now I think she's coming onto the chubby black kid who seems to have either a psychological problem or is seeing things and may be the key to something. He's certainly one of the bravest characters, getting the worthless Ellis and Fah-TEEEEE-ma to the infirmary.

No but seriously, can't they please kill Ellis? Like, horribly? Then after that, maybe his dad? That would be great.

by Anonymousreply 36June 6, 2023 2:24 PM

[quote]One minute, the daughter of the irritating family is wanting to experiment with the lez-lez.

When they first arrived and she had her shit fit and went to the hippie house, I thought Fatima was a bit too friendly too soon and was grooming her for some sort of polyamorous thing.

by Anonymousreply 37June 6, 2023 2:31 PM

That one random episode when Ellis got drunk and turned into this real bad boy who started fights. Oh wow, really bad writing. And yes I laughed at the total hissy fit when she realised the monster had dried up guts, really over the top.

I think they are in limbo.

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2023 2:47 PM

You may be onto something R38. I think they're all dead and don't realize it.

by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2023 2:51 PM

Ellis is the worst. And he thinks he’s such hot shit with his little outfits and jewelry. R22 has it right. He wishes he were Lenny Kravitz, but he sucks.

I’d much rather have former deputy Kenny. He’s kind of cute.

by Anonymousreply 40June 6, 2023 2:51 PM

The pain in the ass drone guy might be interesting. He’s a dick, but I did like how he wasn’t scared of the monsters after he went to live in the bus and accepted this weird place as reality. I do think he will die soon, but he might help Jim learn some things about this place, and the people/person on the radio.

by Anonymousreply 41June 6, 2023 2:54 PM

The dad in that obnoxious family is a hairy beast, yet he hasn't been shirtless once on the show, it's crazy.

The drone guy pings to me from his Insta. Super into his designer doggy and no girlfriend in sight? We all know by now what that portends, don't we.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 6, 2023 3:02 PM

^very nice. His hair on the show is tragic.

by Anonymousreply 43June 6, 2023 3:04 PM

Damn!! Thanks for the hairy daddy pic r42! Shit. Looks nothing like the From character.

Speaking of From, the name is kind of tragic. They couldn’t think of anything else? It’s just kind of dumb and lackluster and it’s got to have some negative impact on whatever marketing or word of mouth around the show. It doesn’t even really mean anything in relation to the show or the storyline. So far there is nothing suggesting that the people are there based on where they’re from,

Has everyone forgotten about the crazy murderer girl living in the basement of the church? Also, why does the church look like it was built in the 1600s and the rest of the little town looks like late 1950s? Not nitpicking I just notice those little things.

For anybody here who saw Chapelwaite, Adrien Brody, vampire miniseries on MGM+, That series was apparently filmed on the same Canadian island, not far from the From set. That series made such good use of the local environment, showed it to be very Gothic and creepy.

by Anonymousreply 44June 6, 2023 3:14 PM

Sarah has apparently gotten all her murderous urges out. I guess those voices are done with her.

She’s fine now! Sends her love!

by Anonymousreply 45June 6, 2023 3:23 PM

Show's name has been translated as "the ones from the outside / the outsiders" in my language because our "from" equivalent is just two letters long, it would be as if a series was named "In" or "At". Such silly name choice by the creators, needlessly kneecaps the marketing from the get-go.

[quote]Has everyone forgotten about the crazy murderer girl living in the basement of the church?

I have no idea what happened to her, she just disappeared after seemingly endless consternation over whether to put her in that punishment box or not.

by Anonymousreply 46June 6, 2023 3:23 PM

Years ago there was a show similar to this. I think it was called Purgatory. It was set in the old west with the same format and on network TV. I don't think it lasted a season. I hope the writers have a good ending planned but sadly it seems like they wing too much writing as they go. I never saw Lost but I'm assuming the ending did not wrap it up?

by Anonymousreply 47June 6, 2023 3:27 PM

Lost was wrapped up neatly at the very end, it was a huge show and there would have been riots had the showrunners left it open-ended. Of course, whether the audiences liked that ending or not is another matter. It happened to work for me.

I think From's creator sensed the show was getting some traction and they decided to slow things down so as to stretch it out. Hence so many more talky filler scenes this season.

by Anonymousreply 48June 6, 2023 3:33 PM

I think Jade might be gay. He didn't respond when that annoying Asian girl said she wanted to ride him like a stallion.

by Anonymousreply 49June 6, 2023 3:55 PM

R49; I think Jade may be destined to have a thing with/for the wife, but who knows.

Has anybody figured out where all the damn food come from? They only just started talking about food supplies the last couple of episodes, but up until then the diner seemed to magically produce anything and everything, even pancakes for that annoying child. When they show was supposed to be the kitchen in the diner, you don’t really see any pots or pans or a grill or anything. It just looks like there’s a very narrow tiny space. And that poor Asian lady seems to be cooking for everybody. She has a load of people living in her house now, and she’s always cooking for them! - i’m sorry, somebody should throw at least a little shade onto that family for destroying their house. They were there like a couple of weeks and they destroyed the house that have been there forever. They also triggered drama with that psycho girl tried to kill the stupid kid then you had the whole radio tower fiasco, which no one seems interested in mentioning or trying to do again. That family of four have been a complete disaster and much worse for the community than the bus load of people that showed up. I want to be deep inside the drone guy. He’s a hot fuck.

by Anonymousreply 50June 6, 2023 7:17 PM

They said early on livestock (and poultry) wanders into town from the woods all the time. Super convenient, right.

by Anonymousreply 51June 6, 2023 7:21 PM

Only on a tv show could a new family show up in an isolated, paranoid society and immediately be adopted as leaders of the community.

by Anonymousreply 52June 6, 2023 7:30 PM

I don’t think they’re leaders. Jim is trying to find a way out and some people who want out are helping. I’d help, too. Better to die trying than to be stuck there forever.

They were fine with food, the trees never lost their leaves, everything was mostly cool until Jim’s family and Jade showed up. The two cars at the same time has changed things. Only Victor knows how bad it’s going to get since he’s seen it before.

I like the show. It’s a little ridiculous and goofy, but it’s an easy watch.

by Anonymousreply 53June 6, 2023 7:36 PM

Will it be bad or is it a sign of good things R53? I'm really curious about the "miracle" pregnancy.

by Anonymousreply 54June 6, 2023 7:40 PM

My theory is it will end with the realization that they've been dead this whole time and are in some sort of purgatory.

I'm bored with it. Made it to the 4th episode. No more.

by Anonymousreply 55June 6, 2023 8:43 PM

I think they’ve kind of addressed the “everyone’s dead” theory. Not conclusively maybe, it it’s already been brought up (by the wife) and Jim sort of made an argument supposedly confirming they aren’t (dead). But who knows?

by Anonymousreply 56June 7, 2023 12:30 AM

Does anyone know if there have been plans announced for a third season? The more television I watch, which isn't a lot, the more I prefer seeing one to three season series'. Max. I'm tired of following shows that take a decade for the story to play out.

I've all but completely given-up on YellowJackets because there's no way I'm spending 4-6 years watching a planned five-season show about a bunch of cannibal girls trying to survive in the forest and eating one another. It's already too dark and we all know that 3-4 seasons of a show these days equate to 4-6 years because of the obnoxious hiatuses shows tend to take now. I have no idea how they maintain viewership like that. (Speaking of which, we used to love watching 'THE GREAT' on Hulu. It just disappeared completely and we eventually stopped watching for it to come back. But I just saw somewhere that not only did it come back, but the last season is apparently over.?.? Not even sure who watched it.

by Anonymousreply 57June 7, 2023 4:01 PM

I'm slowly making my way through the third season of The Great and while it's still good, it's obviously exhausted its creative potential, so I'm fine with it coming to an end. Even the second season already wasn't quite on the same level as the truly outstanding first one.

Yellowjackets I adore and it has a super dedicated viewership, so that show will be just fine.

by Anonymousreply 58June 7, 2023 4:09 PM

It seems like many shows have extremely short seasons and long periods in between and they risk losing viewers with such long breaks. I've gotten so tired of waiting for the Gilded Age and have already forgotten the other seasons. WTF is taking so long?

by Anonymousreply 59June 7, 2023 4:41 PM

No idea why The Gilded Age has taken so long to film, that one is outrageous. We're probably not getting a third season either.

by Anonymousreply 60June 7, 2023 4:53 PM

It's so obvious that Jim and Randall have some real sexual chemistry. Jim was trying to hook up with Randall the whole episode. Jim does the old fly a kite move. Then Jim chooses to have RV night with Randall instead of being with his family. Jim is willing to risk everything for a night of passion. Randal was right. Jim is creepy playground dude but Randall likes it. Jim and Randall fucking in the woods is hot.

by Anonymousreply 61June 11, 2023 6:23 AM

Yes I'm watching From too. It's different and I find it very good. The only downside I'm finding is some of the acting is a bit average.

Really enjoying watching David Alpay. He's got a great ass and I can see his big cock through his pants.

What a story R61! Randall is hot though. You'll enjoy the video at the link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 11, 2023 6:33 AM

Some more yelling this episode. Ellis having a useless scene again. Take a shot every time the sheriff starts a sentence with "Look..." And did he seriously tell them to calm down when they were brainstorming theories regarding those moth thingies? That is literally the last thing you say during a brainstorming session. I did enjoy the cliffhanger.

[quote]It's so obvious that Jim and Randall have some real sexual chemistry.

Was just about to say, but you beat me to it. Those two really need to stop conspiring and start fucking already.

by Anonymousreply 63June 11, 2023 8:47 PM

All Jade does is yell. It’s very annoying.

by Anonymousreply 64June 11, 2023 9:45 PM

Randall acts tough but he's a total bottom bitch.

by Anonymousreply 65June 11, 2023 9:46 PM

I like Randall’s theory that some people are in on it. I’d be suspicious of Donna, too. She did just happen to show up at the church when Jim and Randall were questioning Sarah. But she’s too obvious. If someone is on it it’s probably someone minor like the guy who stabbed ellis.

by Anonymousreply 66June 11, 2023 9:48 PM

Jim builds amusement park rides. What if the town is his prototype for a new thrill ride which the participants are unaware of?

by Anonymousreply 67June 12, 2023 1:58 AM

Not a thrill ride- The Teacups

by Anonymousreply 68June 12, 2023 3:00 AM

[quote]If someone is on it it’s probably someone minor like the guy who stabbed ellis.

My bet would be on the guy offering up the theory that someone must be in on it. In other words, Randall himself.

by Anonymousreply 69June 12, 2023 3:10 AM

This show sounds fascinating. It reminds me of the 2nd season of Lost when they encountered other people on the island. And Michelle Rodriguez tried to warn people that they were “them” and not to be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 70June 12, 2023 3:13 AM

I think Donna's going to die. There's not room in that town for three dykes.

by Anonymousreply 71June 12, 2023 3:33 AM

It's nothing like Lost but it is definitely worth a look R70.

by Anonymousreply 72June 12, 2023 3:34 AM

It's like Lost in that they're stuck someplace seemingly magical, are constantly discovering new secrets about the place, have different factions with different views as to how to proceed, and the actors are nothing special. But the flashbacks are super rare, the writing is really basic, and it's made for peanuts. So it's a bit of a wash when it comes to the Lost comparison.

And obviously the lead actor here is the same guy who famously got done dirty on that show.

by Anonymousreply 73June 12, 2023 3:45 AM

If I understood the last ep, Victor’s mom went to the lighthouse (the same one Boyd found the guy chained up in, was he in a lighthouse?) to try and rescue the children. The children must be the two kids Jim’s wife keeps seeing.

Did they say what happened to Victor’s sister? Was the last time he saw her when she followed her mom out the door?

by Anonymousreply 74June 12, 2023 1:25 PM

Can't they just kill off Boyd, "LOOK! LOOK!!! NOW YOU LOOK!! LOOK!!! MY SONNNNN!!!!" AND Ellis?

Harold Parrineau wasn't "done wrong" on LOST. He wasn't allowed to be "THE STAR", and, he's just a bad actor who I suspect is cast primarily due to his looks in adding diversity to the shows he's in. The man clearly thinks he's Sidney Portier. But he seems to irritate audiences in whatever he's in. He and Bobby Cannavale should have their own show where they just SCREAM and foam at the mouth and swing their heads back in forth in rage. Can you imagine the what a camp fest that would be with those two, devouring the scenery and everyone on the set?

Ellis is just generally irritating in his uselessness and I'm sick of the love/romance dialogue between him and Fah-TEEEE-Ma. *eye roll *

by Anonymousreply 75June 12, 2023 3:42 PM

Kill Fatima,Ellis, Donna and drug addicted lesbian

Keep Jim, Victor, Jade, and bring Smiley vampire back cause he's kinda cute

by Anonymousreply 76June 12, 2023 11:58 PM

R76, I kinda like Donna being there. She's the one blunt-talking, no-filter character, the one who doesn't buy all of Boyd's shit. She's also the only strong female character on the show.

Where she gets irritating to me is the hands-in-pocket thing. WHY has the actress got her hands in her pockets all the time? Like, all the time unless she's holding something. Her pants are uncomfortably tight, and the protruding gunt area has become uncomfortable to see and totally distracting. Can't they give the poor woman something slightly more comfortable to wear? I get that she's supposed to be this tough, sexually-ambiguous, tough-as-nails woman who doesn't give a shit. But at least give her some better-fitting pants. I don't think she would've been riding around in a car with her sister wearing such tight pants. And for God's sake, take her hands outta her pockets!! SHEESH!

Jim's wife, (I don't care enough about "the family" members to remember their individual names), .....she's obviously going to become close to Victor (or whatever his name is). She's likely going to become a pseudo-mother figure to him. I don't get why the people of this town wouldn't have already made him sit down and tell them everything. Nobody seems remotely interested in what he's experienced or what was there when he showed up or what he knows. WHY!!? What the hell else do they have to do all day?

Does anyone know what/who the bloody guy was who came running out of the house in the penultimate scene of this week's episode? That flew by so fast and was just random and out of the blue. Did I miss something? They showed some unknown guy running out of a house, bloody & screaming... Cut to the next and final scene where "Jim" just happens to stop by the overturned camper and finds Donna tied awkwardly to a tree, like some cartoon character, with just a rope around her chest..LOL! So silly looking. And the psycho guy poking his knife into a tree saying, "New plan!"..... HUH?!? WTF?!? And Donna would let this little cunt over-power her enough to shove her into the van? And by the way, WHERE the fuck are all these people who are always partying inside the "Colony House" when people are being shoved in vans, etc.? That house must have over a hundred people living there, yet everyone seems to have a charming, private little room in which to have 'emotionally revealing' dialogue.

The acting is so bad and the writing is so all over the place, but the premise is compelling.

by Anonymousreply 77June 13, 2023 1:34 PM

I tried with S1, but couldn’t get into it. Too many Canadian extras.

by Anonymousreply 78June 13, 2023 1:42 PM

Half-baked theory about Victor:

I wonder if Victor meant that this is LITTERALY his town. I thought a few episodes ago about some kind of real life child abductor who might have lived in Victor’s town. The guy in the photograph with Victor, who might’ve lived in the house he’s afraid to go into. He hid kids in cells in caves and maybe he tried to abduct Victor. But Victor had immense psychic powers. So strong that he morphed his home town into his own nightmarish game from his childhood, with a watchtower and boogeymen who come out at night to kill you. He even convinced his mom (who was a ballerina?) that the kids were locked in the tower, cause that was from his game. This is the weakest part of the theory overall IMO.

Anyway, maybe his psychic power also made sure that no one else would leave him, since his monsters killed the townspeople. It put up a one-way barrier and also somehow abducts people from different parts of the country? Lol I dunno.

Also Victor is dying and that’s why the nightmare is dying as well.

by Anonymousreply 79June 14, 2023 1:43 AM

Also maybe when his mother was “taking him home”, it was from that cellar to their home at colony house? And maybe Victor’s always had that same room? I dunno, that’s also pretty half-baked.

I just feel like he’s important.

by Anonymousreply 80June 14, 2023 1:46 AM

Most of the acting was amateur hour.

by Anonymousreply 81June 14, 2023 2:02 AM

Not sure if what your hypothesizing is true, but great imagination R79/R80!

by Anonymousreply 82June 14, 2023 5:53 PM

Off topic but what is "dunno"? Is it some shortened illiterate version of "don't know"?

by Anonymousreply 83June 14, 2023 5:57 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 84June 14, 2023 5:58 PM

I've been watching it as I like that type of mystery show. It's definitely a slow burner, though, and would be better off being binge watched.

With season 2, I feel they knew early on when writing it how they wanted the season to end - which is why they've padded out the intervening episodes with all the filler.

As others have said, the acting is mostly poor, but the storyline keeps bringing me back. The smiley monster was kind of iconic, so I wouldn't be surprised if he'll be reborn now his body's been burnt.

I'm thinking we'll see at least one of the cast turn into a monster at some point, but the show has dropped several big hints that the monsters are far down the pecking order, so I think we'll see some more scarier creatures that outrank the monsters, hence all the talk about things changing. I just can't see that the status quo can continue for a season 3 - they need to do something to upend things.

by Anonymousreply 85June 14, 2023 6:26 PM

R83 While we’re at it…what’s a “week day?”

by Anonymousreply 86June 14, 2023 6:48 PM

Is there a season three? Probably won’t come out for a while if there is.

by Anonymousreply 87June 14, 2023 6:54 PM

I agree with r77. Donna tied to the tree was so very "Penelope Pitstop".

by Anonymousreply 88June 14, 2023 7:50 PM

That last scene with Donna, a little half-assed FX makeup on her forehead looking like she's Bug's Bunny who's just been tied-up by Elmer Fud..... So awkward that is was actually kind of surreal.

It's a fun show but it wears thin after a little while. I'm not investing years into it and would love to see the story play out this season or next, at the most.

by Anonymousreply 89June 14, 2023 8:04 PM

Victor created the tow. He was traumatized by witnessing the murders of his mom and sister so he created the town as a safe space. People get pulled in because Victor is lonely. That would explain why the houses and monsters appear to be from the 60s/70s. That's when Victor's knowledge of the outside world ended.

by Anonymousreply 90June 15, 2023 6:30 AM

R90 - Thanks for rehashing EXACTLY what R79 / R80 hypothesized already.. Although, I'll give you credit for adding the bit about why the monsters are all dressed like people from the late 60s/early 70s due to that being when Victor's idea of what the world looked like stalled. That actually makes me want to adopt R79's theory because it seems highly plausible. Good job to you both. And now I feel like we all know how it's gonna play out. ...and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. ; -)

by Anonymousreply 91June 15, 2023 1:37 PM

OP- He's the guy in the wheelchair from the HBO show OZ.

by Anonymousreply 92June 15, 2023 1:39 PM

He was also a great Mercutio!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 15, 2023 3:11 PM

To add on the theory, I believe the show is ripping off Seven's storyline from Stranger Things and the lighthouse is a research facility where supernaturally gifted children were / are experimented on. Victor was one of them, but escaped (he imagines it was his mother who helped him escape, but it might have been a nice nurse who helped him escape and the sister is just another one of the supernatural children we might see later on and is helping the guys from the lighthouse). Victor "Wandavisioned" the town as his safe space and the monsters are his bodyguards who do their best to protect Victor from any spies and intruders the people from the lighthouse send (but they missed one or two being revealed in later episodes?). The worse things that are coming are Victor's fellow inmates using their supernatural abilities to capture him and take him back to the lighthouse. The kid he sees may be either the real younger version of Victor or the actual real Victor who uses old Victor either as an avatar or as a decoy.

by Anonymousreply 94June 15, 2023 5:11 PM

R92, you're right, I'd forgotten about that. And he has played the exact 👏🏼 same 👏🏼 character 👏🏼 in everything else he's ever been in.

by Anonymousreply 95June 15, 2023 5:25 PM

I will keep on watching just to see what new mystery the writers will cook-up. It's like they're throwing them on the wall and see what sticks. And then hope the viewers forget those that didn't. It's quite amusing.

by Anonymousreply 96June 15, 2023 5:30 PM

They show also has the ability to regenerate itself using the ability of new people being able to show up at any time, which means the writers and producers can easily kill people off or have more mass murders from monsters while still having a stream of new characters....

(Did you hear that Harold Perrineau? People can be EASILY KILLED OFF and the show can EASILY REPLACE THEM? *wink* )

by Anonymousreply 97June 15, 2023 5:34 PM

[quote] I've gotten so tired of waiting for the Gilded Age and have already forgotten the other seasons. WTF is taking so long?

The official word at HBO is that they have so many shows lined up that Gilded Age has to wait in line for a free spot and time window for the new season to air.

by Anonymousreply 98June 15, 2023 6:33 PM

Watched after seeing this thread. Started good, but it felt like a bit of a drag going into season 2. Wouldn't surprise me if it ends up a clusterfuck of loose ends like Lost.

by Anonymousreply 99June 15, 2023 6:39 PM

The new black teen, Elgin, might be a sleeper agent who was sent to catch Victor without raising Victors immediate suspicion (but Victor did say that he didn't like the guy early in season two). Victor is at the very center of the town's mystery.

by Anonymousreply 100June 15, 2023 6:40 PM

[quote] They show also has the ability to regenerate itself using the ability of new people being able to show up at any time, which means the writers and producers can easily kill people off or have more mass murders from monsters while still having a stream of new characters.

Viewers need to care to tune in. Most shows are more character driven than plot mystery driven. The intention to tell characters' backstory is for the viewers to care about them more. You kill too many characters viewers care about and the viewers stop to care about the show before the new characters have been established (and declared poor replacements of the original characters).

by Anonymousreply 101June 15, 2023 6:52 PM

What do we think the stacked puzzle is for? A path through the woods or the caves maybe?

by Anonymousreply 102June 15, 2023 7:11 PM

r102, I believe it represents the lighthouse or tower where the kids are.

by Anonymousreply 103June 15, 2023 7:15 PM

R101 is what happened to The Walking Dead. They killed off beloved characters and replaced them with ones viewers couldn't tell apart.

by Anonymousreply 104June 15, 2023 7:44 PM

Have we seen the bus driver lady again? Was she killed?

Or the old lady with the morphine. I liked her. A little wild child dancing in the rain…

by Anonymousreply 105June 15, 2023 11:02 PM

The bus driver is still around. She changed out of her uniform!

by Anonymousreply 106June 15, 2023 11:08 PM

Thanks, I should pay better attention!

by Anonymousreply 107June 15, 2023 11:13 PM

One other clue-the motel sign in the credits says Star Magic Motel. Victor's mom used to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for him on her violin.

by Anonymousreply 108June 15, 2023 11:38 PM

Who might Christopher be? The murderer? Didn’t victor say things were fine until Christopher?

by Anonymousreply 109June 16, 2023 12:02 AM

Victor said Christopher was nice, he used to make people laugh but he changed. He could be Victor's dad or an abusive boyfriend who killed Victor's mom and sister. Victor saw it happen and was traumatized.

by Anonymousreply 110June 16, 2023 12:10 AM

So how does any of that explain the trees that randomly teleport you somewhere? Or the castle with the old guy chained to the wall? Or what was in his blood?

Or the civil war guy vision screaming thing.

by Anonymousreply 111June 16, 2023 1:33 AM

When Victor is looking at Eloise's drawings you can see some of the things that happen in the town like the soldiers.

by Anonymousreply 112June 16, 2023 2:19 AM

The prisoner had two dead bodies chained next to him. It reminded me of the drawings that used to be in Mad magazine. Maybe everything in town is something Victor saw or imagined.

by Anonymousreply 113June 16, 2023 2:22 AM

They seem to have totally dropped the boy that the main family's youngest son can see (but nobody else).

by Anonymousreply 114June 16, 2023 2:25 AM

Victor used to see him. He’ll show up again.

by Anonymousreply 115June 16, 2023 2:27 AM

Victor will probably die right before he reveals something super important and helpful to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 116June 16, 2023 2:27 AM

His refusal to communicate is so frustrating. I'd be slapping the shit out of him until he talked. THEY'RE SIMPLE QUESTIONS ASSHOLE.

by Anonymousreply 117June 16, 2023 2:35 AM

According to some theories, he might disintegrate your ass with his powers when he loses control (or maybe when he fully remembers something), R117. I kinda want that to happen to Jade or

BTW, I think someone mentioned Chapelwaite from the same studios above. It was really entertaining IMO, a little slow as expected, but the atmosphere is fantastic if you like gothic horror. Occult and especially gothic horror is my favorite, so I highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 118June 16, 2023 2:47 AM

^ I was gonna say that the the psycho drone hottie could also get mind disintegrated with Victor’s possibly out of control powers, but Donna probably won’t let him live after her abduction. We’ll see tomorrow, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 119June 16, 2023 2:50 AM

Is Chapelwaite on Netflix? Prime?

by Anonymousreply 120June 16, 2023 3:21 AM

I hope we see Randall getting dp from Jim and Jade.

by Anonymousreply 121June 16, 2023 3:29 AM

Prime, R120. On the same MGM+ channel as From.

by Anonymousreply 122June 16, 2023 3:59 AM

I thought that annoying kid was around 6 years old. He's actually supposed to be 10!

by Anonymousreply 123June 16, 2023 9:48 PM

I would have guessed eight or nine. He’s annoying. That whole family is except for the hot dad.

by Anonymousreply 124June 16, 2023 10:22 PM

Renewed for season 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 17, 2023 3:26 AM

R125 I'm surprised at this, given how slow season 2 has been and the fact I hardly ever hear anyone talk about this show, so it's clearly not popular.

I'm not complaining though, as I'll still watch it. I hope they can wrap it up in the third season, though.

by Anonymousreply 126June 17, 2023 5:53 AM

Stephen King has been talking it up on Twitter. That's how I found it.

by Anonymousreply 127June 17, 2023 6:12 AM

This paragraph isn’t a spoiler for the episode itself., but I started looking at the drawings flashing during the intro and a newspaper with the flaming skeleton in front mentions Abbeville, SC, which has a super weird civil war history per Wikipedia. The next scene bring a tree also makes me think the town may have had some dark history with racism, like a sundown town. Maybe the town became monsters because they were already monsters. If you look deeper into “Abbeville”, you find a unique type of object as well…very interesting.

Spoiler for Ep 9******************* Okay, Ep 9 had a good pace, IMO. Sarah’s nightmare theory meshes nicely with the above Sundown explanation above. It also makes the mother drowning the son in the tub make sense perhaps. Also the bus driver remembering the rhyme makes me think maybe they are all “From” this town, but they don’t realize it yet. I’m not sure if they are the townspeople reincarnated or maybe somehow descendants of those killed here, brought back to avenge their ancestors or something. Maybe Victor brought them here to help him defeat something.

I kinda thought the grandmother at colony house talking to Fatima was gonna transform into a demon, like the old lady from the fun film Legion with sexy Paul Bettany. It had this same nervous, stay inside energy.

Overall, I’m intrigued again 👍

by Anonymousreply 128June 18, 2023 7:06 AM

I think the cicadas are going to turn Mari, Randall, and Julie into creatures.

by Anonymousreply 129June 18, 2023 7:35 AM

That hysterical homo whose mom got butchered was out of control this episode. Who was that gorgeous black guy with the perfect hair whose shoulders he shook when he had his meltdown?

Ellis is now starting sentences with "Look..." just like his dad, that's just great. Deputy sheriff doing the yelling this episode, although Jade was mighty tempted to go there at times as well.

At the end of the episode, when everyone was standing around that black aspie and he mentioned "FAH-tima", I half expected her to interrupt his urgent message and say "It's Fah-TEEM-a, actually."

by Anonymousreply 130June 18, 2023 2:46 PM

I am sorry if it's off topic, but am I the only one who would love to have a type of "From" adventure vacation where you are "stranded" at some place and some terrifying terror is threatening you and the other guests, and you have to work together to "survive"? Like, escape rooms but on a larger scale?

by Anonymousreply 131June 18, 2023 3:33 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 132June 18, 2023 3:34 PM

R131, yes, I think that may just be you. But I support you living your terrifying truth 😅

by Anonymousreply 133June 18, 2023 3:50 PM

How much terror can you honestly feel when you know the whole thing is a fake paid experience, though? Doesn't that rather defeat the whole purpose? I think the better -- and cheaper -- version of that might be available when VR takes off. Sounds counterintuitive, but the immersion there might actually be superior to reality where the bored resort employees are just counting down the minutes until they clock out.

by Anonymousreply 134June 18, 2023 4:02 PM

What was under the RV?

by Anonymousreply 135June 18, 2023 6:35 PM

It was okay, but hopefully we'll find out at least one part of the answer in next week's finale.

by Anonymousreply 136June 18, 2023 7:25 PM

Reggie is obviously a DLer!

by Anonymousreply 137June 18, 2023 7:45 PM

R129 I hope Julie turns into a creature. I find the actress incredibly annoying. Maybe as a creature she’ll emote less.

I didn’t expect Randall to get scared and bolt like he did. He should’ve at least shot one of the monsters. Turned out to be a wuss.

Did we ever learn why the guy had a dream about pregnant Fatima? I know he said he heard the nursery rhyme in his dream, but that came from the boy in white. I missed the part where he said anything about a baby.

by Anonymousreply 138June 18, 2023 8:03 PM

Jade looked particularly fuckable in his cardigan and jeans in today’s ep. As long as he’s not constantly yelling, I like him.

by Anonymousreply 139June 18, 2023 10:54 PM

*Spoiler alert*

Boyd saves Julie, Marielle and Randall from the cicadas by destroying the music box, despite Abby’s ghost trying to convince him to the contrary. Tabitha wanders through the lighthouse attempting to save the children and thus Julia, instead she wakes up in apparently a modern day hospital and is told she was found in the woods by hikers. End of Season 2 there.

by Anonymousreply 140June 18, 2023 11:07 PM

Okay I checked out, turned it off during the last couple of minutes. The story has stopped advancing and we get 25 solid minutes each episode of either Ellis and Fatima’s or the lesbian couple doing their love and rehab thing. I didn’t tune in for family and lesbian romance issues. They’ve run out of where they’re going with this show and between the lesbian and family shit and the sheriff screaming at people every 2 minutes, I hit the wall tonight. I’m going over to Black Mirror.

by Anonymousreply 141June 19, 2023 12:43 AM

R140 is that your prediction or you know?

by Anonymousreply 142June 19, 2023 1:24 AM

Someone on reddit has been posting subtitles for each episode. That's a summary of episode 10.

by Anonymousreply 143June 19, 2023 2:10 AM

WTF is up with that damn music box?

by Anonymousreply 144June 19, 2023 2:17 AM

Booo r143 you could have said spoilers for episode 10. I thought your spoiler alert was for todays episode.

by Anonymousreply 145June 19, 2023 2:39 AM

I went back this morning before leaving and watched the last five minutes I turned off last night. I really do think I'm done with it. Some switch flipped and I'm just not interested.

I don't know why so many series' must incorporate a family or love story into the storyline. Maybe there's evidence that attracts more viewers, or female viewers or something? But the whole mystery of the show and the monsters has clearly become a close second to the dynamics of the "family" who's trying to stick together, and the lesbians working through their lesbian shit, including the ham-fisted actress attempting to play a detoxing addict. If it's not that, it's the long, boring monologue of the crazy chick who killed her brother, pouting and self-pitying herself until the guy who's father she murdered comes to her defense and coddles her over it. *vomit* If individual Human stories MUST take over the show, why not focus on the old lady who's quietly dying of cancer and gave-up her medication? The two lesbians having to kiss and cuddle every minute or two is also over the top. Clearly there's a straight guy in the writing room who's getting off on it. And my prediction now for those sticking with it: the new guy, the black kid who keeps going on and on about his dreams, which is already a show-killer in and of itself, is going to get worse.

And again this episode, people at "Colony House" going berzerk, worrying about when they'll be able to sleep, and FAHTEEMA taking charge and calming everyone down, while Ellis, the boyfriend just kind of stands around, being sure not to break a sweat on anything. (Seriously, has ANYBODY seen this guy do anything? Tending vegetables? Sweeping? Helping to board windows? He's the most self precious character I've seen on television).

by Anonymousreply 146June 19, 2023 1:57 PM

The druggie lesbian needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 147June 20, 2023 11:29 PM

I'll keep watching but some of the acting is very average indeed. Very average at best.

I'm enjoying it though. Not the best thing I've ever seen but it's different and I'm interested to see where it goes.

by Anonymousreply 148June 21, 2023 6:50 AM

I'm guessing, (and hoping) druggie lesbian will be killed off very, VERY soon.

But if not her, I'll take killing off Ellis as a consolation prize. If not him, killing the twee, baby-talking kid would likely satisfy me, and everybody else no doubt. After that, maybe killing off Jim/the dad, the daughter, the crazy brother-murdering chick and at least 60% of the "Colony House" inhabitants. Yeah, that would be great.

by Anonymousreply 149June 21, 2023 12:09 PM

From is a show where I would like to reach through the screen and slap all of them. Like, a lot.

by Anonymousreply 150June 21, 2023 1:25 PM

The little kid seemed to have some insight into the place (without realizing it), and used to see another kid wandering around, and they just sorta dropped all that and now he's a clueless annoying idiot.

by Anonymousreply 151June 21, 2023 1:51 PM

Even Sarah, R150? I can’t BELIEVE you’re letting her off that easy! She blah blah blah blah…

*for the next 10 mins*

by Anonymousreply 152June 21, 2023 1:55 PM

I have to mute Sarah. I can’t stand her voice.

by Anonymousreply 153June 21, 2023 2:16 PM

R151 I think they’ll bring up the boy in white again. Elgin(is that his name?) said he saw the kid in his dream and he told him the nursery rhyme. Maybe Victor and Ethan will see the kid in the finale.

by Anonymousreply 154June 21, 2023 2:18 PM

Sarah is every pretty young white girl in high school, and Western society, who's loved and trusted by default based solely on her being a pretty young white girl. The one who, even after murdering her husband/brother, the high school jock, finds herself in trouble, only to come out of it happily ever after by sobbing and crying and saying she's "really sorry you guys but..." that she had a really bad childhood and something not so good happened to her that one time that made her "act out". ......*bang bang* on the gavel... Exonerated! Go in peace, pretty young white woman! We can't hold it against you and realize you didn't really mean it! Here, let us feed and shelter you and place you on a pedestal above everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 155June 21, 2023 3:36 PM

R155 If it were real, I'd agree, but as it's not I reserve the right to be annoyed at Kenny's constant whining at Sarah.

by Anonymousreply 156June 21, 2023 5:42 PM

Does anyone know how many episodes are left this season?

by Anonymousreply 157June 22, 2023 1:18 PM

Just one

by Anonymousreply 158June 22, 2023 1:19 PM

Thanks R158. Curious if it's ending as has been speculated. I'm gonna dig around to see what we can find out.

by Anonymousreply 159June 22, 2023 1:40 PM

Apart from the very last cliffhanger, that finale blew. And how much airtime did Ellis and Fatima get for their fucking wedding?

I might tune in next season, but I'm definitely FF'ing through all the non-essential crap.

by Anonymousreply 160June 25, 2023 7:16 PM

Is the actor who plays Jim gay? He makes femme movements with his hands.

by Anonymousreply 161June 25, 2023 9:10 PM

I appreciated Jade’s halfway unbuttoned shirt. Yum.

Decent finale. I’m glad they did one thing at least- smashing the music box.

I wonder if that dog wants Boyd to follow it. It’s shown up a few times now, I’d probably chase after it at this point.

by Anonymousreply 162June 25, 2023 11:17 PM

I also liked how when jade saw Tom the bartender he just asked him, “aren’t you dead?” And Tom says “yup” and jades like “okay. I’m not gonna question it.”

One thing I noticed about this show is character A will tell character B something and character B is always like “what?!” like character A is crazy and I don’t know why they don’t just accept it. Yes, it might sound crazy, but the whole place is crazy, why would what they’re telling you be so strange? Boyd is the worst at this. It seems every time someone says something to him his response is an unbelieving ‘what?’. Dude, just go with it.

by Anonymousreply 163June 25, 2023 11:22 PM

Love the show but I'm worried it will get canceled before we have any clue about what's going on

by Anonymousreply 164June 25, 2023 11:55 PM

Love the show but I'm worried it will get canceled before we have any sort of clue as to.whats going on

by Anonymousreply 165June 25, 2023 11:56 PM

Interesting ending. So do they have to die violently to get back to reality?

by Anonymousreply 166June 26, 2023 12:00 AM

It's been renewed for season 3 but because of the writers strike we might not see it for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 167June 26, 2023 12:12 AM

R166 that’s what I was thinking- that everyone who was killed in this world just returned to the real world.

by Anonymousreply 168June 26, 2023 1:48 AM

R168 I guess we’ll find out if that’s true if Tabitha is reunited with other people who supposedly died in the village.

by Anonymousreply 169June 26, 2023 6:36 AM

Maybe they all respawned in different places. But I imagine she’ll meet up with someone from that world. Maybe Father Khatri.

by Anonymousreply 170June 26, 2023 12:40 PM

Disappointed that we got no answers at all about the origin in the finale. So, we have to wait probably 2 more years for that shit, ugh. It makes me think that they’ll leave the origin as some nameless evil.

by Anonymousreply 171June 26, 2023 1:29 PM

So long as they kill the annoying lez junkie off for real.

by Anonymousreply 172June 26, 2023 1:53 PM

Nice bulge!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173June 27, 2023 7:19 AM

Ellis is completely useless, but he's still sexy as a MF to me.

by Anonymousreply 174June 27, 2023 7:21 AM

Finally just turned it off mid-way through the last episode. Just can't invest in this idiotic, irritating show anymore.

by Anonymousreply 175June 27, 2023 1:17 PM

Renewed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176June 29, 2023 7:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!