Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Strategic Decoupling

Has anyone tried it with an unwilling partner?

by Anonymousreply 22June 6, 2023 10:53 AM

Yes I’ve broken up with a partner

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2023 12:25 PM

Unwilling partner? RAPE!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2023 12:28 PM

Let me rephrase and clarify: by "unwilling partner" I mean someone who was never willing to be part of the relationship in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2023 12:30 PM

[quote]Let me rephrase and clarify: by "unwilling partner" I mean someone who was never willing to be part of the relationship in the first place.

So, why be in a relationship ?

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2023 1:51 PM

R4 That's what I'd like to know. My partner is unwilling to do any couple things and yet also unwilling to decouple.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2023 1:55 PM

Can we have some background info here? This is so very nebulous so far.

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2023 1:58 PM

My partner doesn't want to do anything with me, in public or in private. It's like we're just roommates or strangers, but whenever I mention decoupling, he says I'm the ass.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2023 2:00 PM

[quote]My partner is unwilling to do any couple things and yet also unwilling to decouple.

He seems complicated.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2023 2:01 PM

R8 That's a very diplomatic way of putting it.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2023 2:02 PM

Real strategic decoupling is more involved. You slowly create a separate life from your partner. If you live together you rent your own place and slowly move your things. You start going on dates without telling them until you are ready to just pull the plug. It can take a month or so.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2023 2:03 PM

Sounds like bigamy R10.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2023 2:05 PM

r10 more like an open relationship where the partner has no idea they are in one.

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2023 2:07 PM

You know what has to be done, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2023 2:11 PM

OP what is YOUR definition of "strategic decoupling?" What would that look like to and for YOU? You for sure need to end the relationship, that much is clear. Was he always so lame? If not, what happened?

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2023 2:12 PM

[quote]whenever I mention decoupling, he says I'm the ass.

Maybe he wouldn't call you that if you referred to it as "breaking up".

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2023 2:38 PM

He doesn't sound like a "partner", at all. J/s

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2023 2:51 PM

Don't know the details of your relationship dynamics, but in my personal experience "decoupling" was the only solution when I got tired of my live-in boyfriend's cruelty, moodswings, and general incompatibility. It all moved swiftly once I made the conscious decision to stop placating his whims and moods. Every conversation became an argument. After a few weeks, one of us slept on the couch. Then we began avoiding each other entirely. Would have been extremely uncomfortable, had discomfort not been the goal. After about two months, it was his idea to end it and for one of us to move out. From toxic relationship to single and guilt free in three months. The process also helped to strengthen my resolve, proving that there was no relationship without my putting in so much effort.

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2023 3:17 PM

OP = Gwyneth Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2023 3:22 PM

This could make the situation worse. For some people you have to rip off the bandaid. A gradual split can be disastrous. If it were me, I would plan my departure in secret and actually leave when I was all set up and ready to go. For good.

Then again, I'm a clean break kind of person. Maybe that's not your dynamic, OP. Plus your partner seems to know you're not happy so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2023 5:25 PM

Do you fear for your life, OP? Or are you just ambivalent?

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2023 5:47 PM

I'm mostly worried he'll take the dog. I don't want to share custody of our dog. I think the dog wants to be with me.

by Anonymousreply 21June 6, 2023 3:22 AM

Man up, OP. Take the dog and leave.

by Anonymousreply 22June 6, 2023 10:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!