Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stars who could never be Canceled

Queen Beyoncé

Sean Jay-Z Carter

Trump

Obama

Oprah

Cher

Robert Deniro

What other stars brands exude such excellence that they could murder someone on 5th Ave and not be canceled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 27, 2023 3:41 PM

DOLLY PARTON

ROGER FEDERER

PRINCE LOUIS

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2023 9:34 AM

Gaga

Rafa Nadal

Elmo

The one guy in that one thing.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2023 9:47 AM

Never say never.

Oprah was trolled heavily during the Trump years. Young people did try to cancel her by posting photos of her with Jeffrey Epstein, and then the Dr. Oz thing. When Oz gave a TV interview and said that sending kids back to classrooms during COVID was 'attractive' and that he thought not more than X percent might die and so it would be worthwhile, Oprah took a lot of heat.

She might have been canceled had she had an active public career. I think she weathered the attacks by the Internet Gang because he is living privately in Hawai'i and she chose to be totally reclusive and not respond in any way to calls for her to defend herself. Had she taken the bait, she would have dug the hole, but as with all bullying situations, ignore it and it'll go away eventually.

I think most of the people you named are too old and unknown to the young people who do canceling to really focus on. Trump is an exception of course and Trump indeed is uncancelable. He's not even held liable for violent crimes or multimillion-dollar financial frauds, though. He is some supernatural level of invulnerable. I don't get it.

Beyoncé and Jay-Z could be vulnerable depending how the winds blow. Both are unlikely because they are very private and have veritably zero public personality. But I could imagine a scenario in which Beyoncé divorces Jay and cues to her fans that he did something egregious à la R. Kelly and they turn on him.

And we don't know how the winds will blow in the future. Public perceptions are so radically different now than they were 10 years ago. There's another active thread in which someone is actually trying to rally people to condemn Bette Davis, who died 32 years ago, for allegedly calling her grandson 'fag.' Meanwhile, as I mentioned in that thread, Tina Fey used the word fag as a punchline made by her own character in 30 Rock in 2008. This aired on broadcast TV, NBC, primetime, as part of a popular and acclaimed comedy series, and at the time it didn't cause social upheaval, and she is on no one's list to be canceled. In fact, the ultimate canceler Ronan Farrow, who canceled his father, Harvey Weinstein and execs at NBC, happily guest starred in Tina Fey's Kimmy Schmidt and was lavished with compliments onscreen about his beauty. Had she used that word just 12 years later, she'd have been canceled.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2023 10:43 AM

Trump hardly “exudes excellence”. But he has managed to form his own brainwashed cult who literally would still worship him even if he started gunning down old ladies on the street. It’s terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2023 10:54 AM

R4 I saw a video some 50ish bearded chunky white guy posted to TikTok about leaving the Trump cult. He had an awakening at some point that—gasp!—Trump is a con artist. He prattled on explaining that Trump told him and others who had faith in them a lot of lies and really was just enriching himself. He was very upset.

I can understand because it is plain to see how a lot of people are completely malleable to any induced panic/fear/anxiety and some people will grab onto any hate-based rhetoric and support anyone who gives them permission to openly hate other groups as long as a large group of people do it with them. Those make sense to me because they are self-evident.

What I don't get is people who don't understand this man is a carnival-huckter-variety con man. It is so plain to see in his behaviors, plain to hear in his words and plainly demonstrated by his scam businesses.

I have seen some people feel betrayed by him legitimately when they figure out he is a con artist, but how could they not know it the whole time? It's insane to me.

Most of my life, my theory about intelligence is that people aren't *stupid* individually; we all just have different kinds of intelligence spread across different areas.

But half the country has proven it is overtly stupid. Stupid-stupid, not seeing the most obvious version of a conman is a conman. It's scary. These people would literally support a President Trump launching a nuclear bomb directly overhead and would see their towns burn and feel their faces and limbs melt and still support what he did as long as he was still pointing the finger at minority populations and directing their hatred toward them. Stupid, stupid people.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2023 11:05 AM

Morgan Wallen should be taught in business schools for how to respond. He now has the biggest song in the US across all genres. He's sold out his concert in London.

I only know him from yelling the N word.

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2023 11:28 AM

OP- MONKEY 🙊 MONK almost murdered a Vietnamese man in Boston and this gutter snipe has never been cancelled 😡.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2023 11:32 AM

r3 did you forget about Oprah's beef trial in the 90s? She is arguably the first celebrity to reverse her own cancellation, way before cancellation was a thing. In fact, her brand soared after that. That's why she can never be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2023 11:33 AM

I can't think of any recovery from a person using the N word. Maybe if they issued a direct statement taking full responsibility for their past ignorance, guaranteed they don't think like that anymore, and had a bunch of Black celebrities make statements on their behalf. Otherwise, I can't imagine weathering it, although it could make a person a favorite of the Fox News set.

Michael Richards was canceled-canceled before that term existed for using the word and he has never been heard of or from again.

Meanwhile, people keep paying Marky Mark tens of millions to show his steroidal tits after nearly beating an old Asian man to death in a racist hate crime. That shows how inconsistent and disingenuous the selective hatred of hateful people really is. If the public valued what it claims to really value, Marky Mark would actually be one of the most condemned out-of-work celebs out there. But those tits...

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2023 11:37 AM

R8 Despite criticisms of Oprah's arrogance and self-importance, Oprah is an absolute master of media and a fiercely sharp intellect.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2023 11:38 AM

R9 Popular theory is that Michael Richard’s lashed out in anger because prior to 2006 he hadn’t been heard of since Seinfeld.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2023 2:16 PM

Anyone can be cancelled. Some for acts far less heinous than others. It all depends.

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2023 2:20 PM

What a stupid post.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2023 2:25 PM

R13 Nothing stupid. Some of us are invincible.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2023 2:30 PM

In all honesty MJ was another who could never be canceled though they tried. The public just loved him too much. I mean we know he is innocent and beat the charges but come on he was weird and little to cushy with lil white boys.

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2023 3:12 PM

R2 you are such a fkin party pooper. I’m not a fan of Trump, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2023 3:18 PM

Oprah. She never spoke up against tRump during his illegitimate tenure except for a couple of mild comments yet she is still idolized.

She didn't speak up because a good portion of her base are deplorables and she didn't want to alienate them as it's all about the $$$$$. Also, because she didn't want to risk the wrath of tRump and him outing her and Gayle in retaliation as is his M.O.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2023 9:18 PM

Will Smith proved that anyone can be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2023 9:59 PM

Once Oprah won in court against what was effectively the entire US beef industry and later became a billionaire in 2001, it was a wrap. She bested all her haters and her wealth kept growing.

Oprah smartly uses social media to promote her latest endorsements, but otherwise has too much f*ck you money and various sprawling properties to care what peons think. She posts about books, food, comfy clothes, and growing stuff in her garden. She's not acting out of pocket online. She's a sensible, old school frau. She has 25 years of goodwill via the philanthropic efforts of her talk show and is a notable footnote to a historic presidency. Political historians make note of the addition million votes she delivered in support of Obama. That was next level.

Oprah minds her business, literally. That's the key to not getting canceled.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2023 10:13 PM

Will hasn't really been cancelled. He got a standing ovation from his fellow sycophant celebrities many of whom came to his defense saying that he "just made a mistake". He can't attend Oscars for ten years, big whoop, he's still making movies.

If I had done that at a work event, no one would have applauded me and I'd never work in my industry again. Most importantly, the police would have been called and charges would have been filed.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2023 10:13 PM

R20 Smith's not just banned from the Oscars, he's out of the Academy. That's a bigger deal. His Oscar win was immediately rendered a hollow, pyrrhic victory by the impulsive, violent, ego-driven action to save face in front of his imperious wife.

Yes, Smith will keep working, but his days as a leading man were already waning and now after The Slap, it's less likely he'll enjoy a Tom Cruise style comeback with lots of successful blockbuster films. If he is in a film that's a hit, he won't receive the credit for making it so.

Will Smith forgot black men will always be more heavily scrutinized and held to a higher standard than their white male counterparts. The number one thing a black man CANNOT do in America is show outward signs of anger or aggression. Any act of violence from a black man immediately triggers both white people's lynchstincts and black people's frustrations and shame at seeing someone reify negative stereotypes with uncouth behavior.

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2023 10:32 PM

they're all ILLUMINATI!

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2023 10:36 PM

Elvira

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2023 10:39 PM

Jack Black

Steven Spielberg

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2023 10:44 PM

Harry and Meghan. They're trying to cancel them, been trying, but they seem to always rise back up to the surface.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2023 10:46 PM

[Quote] and she is on no one's list to be canceled.

Are you sure about that?

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2023 12:48 PM

Anyone can be cancelled, Henny. Anyone.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2023 1:02 PM

MJ is canceled to anyone with a brain and morals even if they don’t say it out loud.

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2023 4:30 PM

George Clooney.

Being charming, attractive, well-dressed and friendly helps immensely along with being able to afford the best Fixers in the business.

Clooney used Sunshine Sachs' high-powered, ruthless Fixers to silence that boy and his family in Italy. The Fixers also recruited and hired him an accomplished beard to deflect.

Harvey Weinstein also used Sunshine Sachs' Fixers for many years to intimidate and silence his victims. However, he was eventually exposed because he's not charming or attractive and no one liked him. But his money did buy him many years of freedom to do as he pleased because he could afford the very best Fixers.

The Sunshine Sachs connection was the real reason Clooney was at Harry and Meghan's wedding. He owed Sunshine Sachs big time, they saved his career.

by Anonymousreply 29August 27, 2023 1:32 PM

tom hanks.

by Anonymousreply 30August 27, 2023 1:48 PM

Unless he falls off the wagon, I don't see anyone canceling RDJ.

Dolly Parton looks as if her reputation is secure.

But who knows? I'm sure even she has her foibles.

by Anonymousreply 31August 27, 2023 3:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!