Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Boycotts against Target and Bud Light are working thanks to a 'perfect storm' of social media and culture wars, experts say

If it feels like these types of boycotts and online firestorms are gaining steam, that's because they are.

Experts say it's due to a combination of the culture wars and panic-stoking media coverage that forces brands to either back down or face a firestorm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 20, 2023 2:52 PM

I predict the culture wars cooling substantially once Trump gets his shit pushed in again next year. Deplorables will finally understand that nothing was stolen in 2020, that 2016 was a fluke, and that they aren't the majority.

Bonus points if DeSantis flames out big in the primary, seeing how he's staked everything on battling wokeness.

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2023 5:32 AM

“Experts say” but they only quote one expert on the subject and the other one gives a vague gobbledegook answer about branding.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2023 5:43 AM

[quote]I predict the culture wars cooling substantially once Trump gets his shit pushed in again next year. Deplorables will finally understand that nothing was stolen in 2020, that 2016 was a fluke, and that they aren't the majority.

Unfortunately, there are too many state legislatures that are red that are capable of passing anti-LGBTQ legislation all on their own and they can do that with her Trump fails or not.

The article was interesting, and made me consider something I hadn’t. What happened to Bud Light was straight up transphobia, but we do know that there is an organized campaign that has been promoting pieces of legislation, with almost identical language that was written by a lobbying organization, and we know that lobbying organization’s name, and it was a concerted effort. It was super organized. So bud light was gonna lose no matter what. It might have worked in another year, but not this year.

But what I didn’t consider was that the pandemic created the perfect storm for this to happen. The same people that were refusing to wear masks, or were screaming at store employees over them, are the same people who are now boycotting and harassing employees at target. And the employees at target are exhausted. Because of the people harassing them for the last three years.

So maybe, if the pandemic hadn’t happened, Bud light still would’ve gone down, but target might not have.

I like the points in the article that Nike and Patagonia were able to weather any controversy by staying on brand. So retailers can be supportive of the LGBTQ community and not get boycotted, or they can get boycotted, and it won’t make a noticeable difference. But a lot of factors went into what happened to target.

Walmart is selling gay pride merchandise, can you imagine this crowd not shopping at Walmart? Where would they go?

I don’t blame target for buckling, because the protesters took it too far. They went into the stores and they were harassing and threatening employees. That’s not something that normally happens.

I’ve said this before but the right fights dirty. If they’re harassing teenage workers at target, maybe we need to stand outside of their churches and their kids schools holding up pictures of dead bodies from Orlando and Colorado Springs, and stand across the street and scream at their children “your parents did this! Your parents are to blame for these people being dead!“. And maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have the small number of left wing hunters who have AK-47s show up with them shouldered and exercise their right to free carry.

Let’s scare the fuck out of them. Reasoning with them is not possible. Let’s threaten them. Make them so scared that they volunteer to host the next drag queen reading at a library.

And we have to get more organized. Every Democrat is speaking in a different voice from the heart and saying things that are true, but the Republicans are all speaking from a script. They are all on the same message, people are hearing it, repeatedly, and the more they hear it the more they believe it. But what they’re hearing from Democrats is confusing, because it’s different from everyone, and that is confusing and is causing people to just tune out.

We need scripts too. We need to set a talking points, and everyone needs to repeat them endlessly until people think that it is the truth. Because it is the truth.

Just keep asking right wingers “why are you so obsessed with children’s genitals?“ We’re dumb, for not following the same tactics that the right wing is using. This is our own fault.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2023 6:04 AM

Progressives have been calling for an end to corporate Pride, so they should be thrilled now.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2023 11:48 PM

Progessives have been calling for an end to corporate.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2023 11:49 PM

What boycott?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2023 1:14 AM

Republican Garth Brooks refuses to get rid of Bud Light in his bar:

"I want it to be a place you feel safe in, I want it to be a place where you feel like there are manners and people like one another."

In recent weeks, a number of social media users have also shared photos and videos of unsold Bud Light on store shelves and at venues, in a bid to illustrate the purported success of their boycott of the beer brand.

Brooks went against the grain in January 2021, when he performed at the inauguration of President Joe Biden—a move that angered a number of country music fans.

"The message they're pushing is unity, and that's right down my alley, man," Brooks said at the time. "If we're gonna get anywhere, we're gonna get there together."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2023 1:19 AM

[Quote] Deplorables will finally understand

This has to be the funniest fucking thing I've read in my entire life.

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2023 1:24 AM

Anecdotally only, but one of the south Austin Targets was pretty crowded yesterday around 11 AM and they had a pride display still up.

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2023 1:25 AM

[quote]Deplorables will finally understand that nothing was stolen in 2020, that 2016 was a fluke, and that they aren't the majority.

I hear what you're trying to say R1 but I don't think the above is going to happen any time soon. Have you heard of the term "rusted on"? The MAGA cult members are rusted on and they will never, ever change their minds.

by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2023 1:25 AM

In New Jersey some guidos were fisting in front of the Pride display and saying "We're doin dis to protek da kids!"

by Anonymousreply 11June 10, 2023 1:26 AM

Bud Light's lady MBA went on the record sneering at their uncool customers. When you talk about a perfect storm add in her eagerness to recruit Dylan was a manifestation of that hostility and contempt towards her customer base.

I think Target is just collateral damage. It would never have gotten so big had the Bud firestorm not already been blazing.

As of Garth Brooks that's no surprise. I remember him and Mango.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 10, 2023 1:30 AM

HOT R11!

by Anonymousreply 13June 10, 2023 1:31 AM

R11 The guidos were fisting? Oh my. Wait until the dicks come out.

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2023 1:36 AM

Bud Light picked a walking stereotype that offended more than just the right wing. Laverne cox print and tv vodka ads and it barely made a wave. Terrible timing, terrible choice and an out of touch MBA marketing exec that torched her career.

by Anonymousreply 15June 10, 2023 2:39 AM

Drop the T and Q!!

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2023 2:51 AM

We desperately need MORE threads on this topic, because the other 986,478,893,281,623 threads simply could not cover it all!

by Anonymousreply 17June 10, 2023 3:42 AM

TERFs have already thrown us gays under the bus and don't care what happens to us. That's because TERFs hate all men - including gay men.

DROP THE TERFS!

by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2023 4:10 AM

Was it all a nefarious plot by the horse faced chick?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2023 5:05 PM

R12, the sneering marketing executive is what really did the damage. If it wasn't for the podcast she did, in which she came across as a pompous, sneering, elitist cunt, the boycott might not have even happened or to a much less degree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2023 5:36 PM

R12, I do believe that "lady" is likely trans. Had 3 kids via surrogate. If trans, I hope that comes out because it's an important part of the story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2023 5:45 PM

R21, Allissa is NOT trans.

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2023 6:14 PM

Big surprise: Customers hate it when brands suddenly switch personalities at whiplash speed.

Bud Light: The beer for blue-collar fun & relaxation *becomes* Bud Light: The beer for grown men that say they're 13-year-old girls.

Imagine other examples, taking trans out of the equation. What if...

Nike: The cutting-edge, socially-aware sportswear company *becomes* Nike: The sportswear company that only sells women's size M and below, because, according to the product manager, they "no longer want to be associated with fatties."

Hermès: The impeccable, aspirational accessories brand *becomes* Her-meez, the joint venture with Walmart, providing colorful bandannas and fun logo tees in sizes up to XXXL. The product manager gives interviews deriding the "snobs with more money than sense" who had been their customers in the past.

Do you think their old customers would enjoy the new direction? How many would continue to support the company?

It's less about politics or trans and more about the very deliberate "fuck you" to their current customers. I don't drink the swill, and you probably don't either, but no one should be surprised that when a company suddenly turns around and tells their loyal customers to fuck off, those customers get pissed.

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2023 6:48 PM

R3, just have to say I completely agree, and I'd even be OK take it a step further and making roughing some white trash up and hassling them in much the same way. The Repubs need to be beaten into submission as far as I'm concerned. I'm not an ardent supporter or Trans rights but stores and brands should be able to support what they want without some white trash hicks coming in and verbally assaulting your sales force.

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2023 6:52 PM

Everything R3 said. THANK YOU. I’ve said this since the start of Trump’s initial candidacy in 2015. You cannot just turn the other cheek or ignore. You need to confront them with the rhetoric, same tactics. This is why I think what Gavin Newsom is doing wrt DeSatan may be a winning strategy, contrary to what some in the media might be saying

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2023 6:54 PM

R22, has there been a denial? It's a reasonable question given the situation and the very masculine face and body frame.

I'll assume trans till proven otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2023 6:57 PM

Also, LOL at all these peons in the cheap seats assuming this move by behemoth Budlight et al isn’t a more calculated business strategy for the future. They aren’t idiots, they know where the country (and world) are headed, and overall it ain’t moving backwards on anything LGBT-related. Think harder, dummies.

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2023 6:58 PM

R27, yes and no. While I agree that a company would and should have done a lot of research before changing directions like it did. But wasn't there a Vogue (or whatever magazine) issue not too long ago where kids were shown in an S&M-type pictorial? If I recall correctly, that was a case of major lack of oversight for the magazine. They basically just let some insane woman run the show without checking her work. So it is possible that BL was totally out to lunch over this.

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2023 7:03 PM

R28, Bud Light may have been clueless about Dylan but they knew about Alyssa the supposed lady VP. They knew Alyssa was woke when they hired Alyssa. That's what they wanted.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2023 7:06 PM

Let me explain again. BUSINESS INSIDER IS A GARBAGE SITE. No editing, barely any writing. It's ALL CLICK BAIT.

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2023 7:08 PM

It was so tone deaf to put that Dylan freak as the spokesthem for a white trash redneck brand of beer. WTF were they thinking?

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2023 7:09 PM

R28 It was Balenciaga and funny you mention that, on the Tori Spelling and her fug fat family thread, Dean was wearing Balenciaga shoes and people were saying that brand is slipping.

by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2023 7:13 PM

I don't really care about Dylan Mulvaney being trans; they're just an insufferable, attention whore, "influencer" that would be flipping burgers at a locally owned hamburger stand if it wasn't for technology and an abundance of idiots that care what a burger flipper has to say. That being said, I'm convinced the whole "trans" thing is just for clicks for Dylan. Most of these modern trans folks are just looking for attention.

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2023 7:15 PM

R33 I agree, if it had been like a more Bud light-sy type trans, I don't think people would have cared. Buck Angel is even named Buck, he's cowboy-y, I bet he would have been better received.

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2023 7:21 PM

R26, you are free to be an idiot. I suggest you don't proclaim it all about.

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2023 4:53 AM

R33, he comes from a billionaire family.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2023 10:57 AM

[quote] It was so tone deaf to put that Dylan freak as the spokesthem for a white trash redneck brand of beer.

You’re a moron.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2023 10:58 AM

pretty sure they've bounced back already

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2023 11:02 AM

The anti-trans brigade really needs to get a life.

Imagine all of the problems in the world and this is the hill you want to die on.

Get on antidepressants, improve your diet, and start going to the gym. You are sad and pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2023 11:07 AM

r37 can't deal with the truth

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2023 3:13 PM

"Most of these modern trans folks are just looking for attention."

I think most of them are just good old fashioned transvestites looking to legitimize their fetish.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2023 3:19 PM

Maybe if corporations didn't choose a trans person as annoying as Dylan Mulvaney to sell their products this wouldn't have happened.

I don't have anything against trans people, but the first clip I saw of Dylan prancing around in the Nike sports bra with that hideous gaping mouth was ridiculous. It was almost like a mockery was being made of their clothing.

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2023 3:37 PM

[quote] The anti-trans brigade really needs to get a life.

I agree, but corporations making the decision to use a trans person in their advertising is a big deal. If I were trans, I would not want a clown like Dylan Mulvaney representing me.

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2023 3:43 PM

These boycotts happened for about a week. Everyone is back shopping at Target. Nobody gives a shit anymore.

by Anonymousreply 44June 20, 2023 2:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!